Thread: Films recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Hybrid View

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes guts for a star to act and more importantly produce a film in a genre which is quite alien to the native audience. Full credit to Suriya for accepting and making this film. Vikram Kumar has made perfect use of the budget and the stellar starcast to churn out one memorable film.

Suriya excels in the role of watchmaker Mani. He was completely at ease throughout. I am not a huge fan of his acting in such roles. But this time i was pleasantly surprised. Even though the romance portions of the film carry mixed reviews, I honestly loved it. I didn't like the Athreya role much like the other two roles. May be since it was his first attempt at negative role, it would take some time to sink in.

Among the other actors, Nithya Menen was awesome in her extended cameo. Saranya Ponvannan was perfect as Mani's mother (Mathaji as he would call her). The flashback portion and the climax involving Saranya were extremely well written. Samantha doesn't get the weightage like the other women characters in the film but still manages to impress. But the surprise package was Telugu actor Ajay Kumar as Mithran. As a trusted lieutenant of Athreya, his role lives and dies for the antagonist without any expectations in return. When was the last time we came across such a role?

The other hero of the film is cinematographer Thirru. Each frame looks like a wallpaper and the richness is maintained throughout the film. As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times. But unlike Lingaa, he compensates with a pulsating BG score.

The film is not without flaws. Few repetitive and boring lengthy dialogues tested patience. But i am sure the recent edits would've helped on that front.

24 is not a film to be missed on the big screen. The film is doing well across circuits. But only a big win will make way for more such ambitious projects. Hope it gets one!!

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ajaybaskar; 9th May 2016 at 08:53 PM.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

2. Likes Nasc, mappi liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times.
    agree..songs were average..even tried listening multiple times but still didn't work for me..even naan un song which I liked earlier sounds boring now..
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    agree..songs were average..even tried listening multiple times but still didn't work for me..even naan un song which I liked earlier sounds boring now..
    milliblog la 200 word koduthappave ninaichen..... this may not go down as much well nu
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com