Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Films recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsubras View Post
    +1

It is not about advise....... advises are all good........ but pasanga blended it nicely, here it looked forced.....may be pandiraj tcompromised for suriya, the star...... even the kids' kurumbu doesnt look as natural.......
    +1, the kids shown as problem kids were normal...and are seen in every day life...
    Last edited by balaajee; 4th May 2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Dane Dane Pe Likha Hai Khane Wale Ka Naam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manithan [2016 : Tamil : 2h30m : Drama and Crime fiction (Legal Drama)]
    Directed by I. Ahmed

Dialogues : Ajayan Bala
    Music : Santosh Narayanan
    Camera : R. Madhi
    Editing : Manikanda Balaji

Starring : Hansika Motwani, Aishwarya Rajesh, Udhay, Radha Ravi, Prakash Raj, Vivek & others.

Adhukaga avanga mela paridhapa pada sollala, Avanguluku ana nyayatha thaan kekurien.
    Paavam Avangalum nambala madri manushangathaney, your Honour.

[I am not asking for pitiness, afterall they are our own, I am just seeking justice for them, your Honour.]

Sakthi (Udhay) reopens a dismissed Hit & Run case under Public Interest Litigation (Article 32 of the Indian constitution) in a court of law. Adisheshan (Prakash Raj), a leading criminal lawyer who appeared during the initial phase and liberated his client from the murder of six victims, is forced back to re-appear before the courthouse of Justice Dhanapal (Radha Ravi). During the stages of the trial, the foul play of mishandled key witness is brought to light, but the lack of eyewitness embarks the law to go with Adisheshan's claim that media targeting the rich and the public quenching their jealousy by wanting to see a wealthy citizen behind bars. Sakthi has got one more card to play, but the senior lawyer is always a step ahead of Sakthi. Thus, the cat and mouse court room drama unfolds, each advocate trying to cogent the law.

Ahmed has finely shaped the character Sakthi. Even when Sakthi is not all enthusiastic about acheiving a social victory - he jokes on his own non-success - the positivity in the form of amusement and pleasant emotions are intact. Sakthi just wants to be and behave normal but his entourage, usually it would be a complaining father, but here it's his own girl-friend (bad choice) who wants him to achieve what she thinks is right for him to achieve. So, our hero comes to city but his attitude remains the same. The point is, Ahmed never tries to modify this character between Acts. The other tiny characters are assembled beautifully around Sakthi, be it the dwellers of the area where Sakthi lodges, the road-side-restaurant cook, a personel body gaurd, the judge, the mocking policemen, a mediator, the rich family, a tea-stall owner, etc. During the final part of ACT-3, a character is introduced and his performence needs a special mention. Moreover, the setups are lively - court-room, High-court compound & the housing community. Using such enviornment, Ahmed elivates his character without "puzhuthi parakkum paaru" moments. Amoung several, the best depiction is when Sakthi peals off his bandage, just like taking off his thick skin and starts making new strides, this time the goal & ambition well defined and differentiated.

Santosh Narayanan, this time too, uses silence and just vocals to stamp in the needed emotions delivered by the slow-mos. 'Poi Vazhva' soothes when the song silently creeps in just like Akkam Pakkam Paar from Kadhalum Kadanthu Pogum. The magic has to be experienced in a cinema hall. Out of the blue rings a rhetorical humming "Adho" admist an atmosphere of the living soceity (yet the movie is not preachy). The back ground score melts with the visuals and certainly enhances the characters - there are two musical bits for Adisheshan, the second one which is a kind of a Victory BGM played while Prakash Raj is rolling his eyes villainously is pure mastery.

Udhay has certainly shown great improvement. He maintains the grip on his character and at no point tries to overflow as lawyer Sakthi even when getting insulted, beaten up or slapped. He reacts exactly what the character demands. Much more could have been put in keeping in mind the depth of the character, but Udhay not only tires but also gives a neat performance. He sharply delivers his dialogues and during the closing argument in the court, he does try to roll the words between his throat and lips, expressing a poignant emotion when he says "Paavam Avangalum nambala madri manushangathaney, your Honour". Hats off Udhay, indeed a good start. It's not that he has to do only such films ; he has to do such films from time to time. Others in line are ofcoarse the veterans Prakash Raj and Radha Ravi. Even their voice act. The way Prakash Raj tries to turn the events at the court house with high pitched arguments filled with logic in multi-language, Radha Ravi calmly replies to him "Seri Seri", which is funny as well as demonstrating who is who inside the court. Ahmed has punctuated the film with such fabulous scenes. Aishwarya Rajesh is a part of the film too, I adore this girl, such a facinating beauty who never over shadows the allure with vulgar make-up, plus an actress who can cry or show anxiety spontaneously. Vivek does an extended cameo. He brings in a new named wife with him this time, but I felt like the footage had gone missing !

I am not storyteller, but still felt that Ahmed stammers a bit in producing a Crime Drama inside a Courtroom Thriller. Arguments fell flat. There is a lot of interruption during the investigation dissolving the core plot. Moreover, allowing Santosh Narayanan to be over melodramatic takes away the notion of the thrill. The length of the dialogues could have been longer and if the whole ACT-3 was inside the court room, the film would have been perfect. Nevertheless, Manithan-the film is excellent. Hats off Ahmed and team.

Manithan - Invincible
    Last edited by mappi; 3rd May 2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mappi, have u seen the original.

i loved jolly llb.
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have seen Jolly LLB. I like Arshad Warsi from his 'Ciruit' days, his comical timing mixed with wicked expressions are always a fun to watch. His Golmaal Series are light movies that are enjoyable during rainy afternoons.

Under the category of adapted works based on films, Manithan cannot be coined as a Remake. The tamil version is more of a derivative work inspired from a part of the screenplay, gaurding the plot but altering the perspective. A joke or two is also handpicked from the original and most of the characters are retained. Manithan has a more serious tone, where as Jolly LLB is on lighter viens even when it tries a bit harder towards the end.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Senior Hubber vithagan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vikram Kumar doesn't disappoint this time too.. its a Intelligent Sci-fi Thriller.. he nailed it! Brilliant screenplay needs a special mention here. Hats off to Vikram!
    13B, Manam and now 24 made him a notable Director!

Surya - Job well done as actor and producer.. Triple role is well justified.

Thiru - Visuals are grand & top notch!!

Music - well supported the movie..

MINUS - Love portions are bit draggy and irritating!!

Overall - Must Watch movie!!
    வாழு! வாழ விடு!

7. Likes mappi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently watched Vaayai Moodi Pesavum. It was a different movie from what Tamil movies used to be. Any comment or feedback on the movie?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes guts for a star to act and more importantly produce a film in a genre which is quite alien to the native audience. Full credit to Suriya for accepting and making this film. Vikram Kumar has made perfect use of the budget and the stellar starcast to churn out one memorable film.

Suriya excels in the role of watchmaker Mani. He was completely at ease throughout. I am not a huge fan of his acting in such roles. But this time i was pleasantly surprised. Even though the romance portions of the film carry mixed reviews, I honestly loved it. I didn't like the Athreya role much like the other two roles. May be since it was his first attempt at negative role, it would take some time to sink in.

Among the other actors, Nithya Menen was awesome in her extended cameo. Saranya Ponvannan was perfect as Mani's mother (Mathaji as he would call her). The flashback portion and the climax involving Saranya were extremely well written. Samantha doesn't get the weightage like the other women characters in the film but still manages to impress. But the surprise package was Telugu actor Ajay Kumar as Mithran. As a trusted lieutenant of Athreya, his role lives and dies for the antagonist without any expectations in return. When was the last time we came across such a role?

The other hero of the film is cinematographer Thirru. Each frame looks like a wallpaper and the richness is maintained throughout the film. As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times. But unlike Lingaa, he compensates with a pulsating BG score.

The film is not without flaws. Few repetitive and boring lengthy dialogues tested patience. But i am sure the recent edits would've helped on that front.

24 is not a film to be missed on the big screen. The film is doing well across circuits. But only a big win will make way for more such ambitious projects. Hope it gets one!!

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ajaybaskar; 9th May 2016 at 08:53 PM.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

10. Likes Nasc, mappi liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times.
    agree..songs were average..even tried listening multiple times but still didn't work for me..even naan un song which I liked earlier sounds boring now..
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    As an ARR fan, I felt 24 was one of his weakest albums in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    agree..songs were average..even tried listening multiple times but still didn't work for me..even naan un song which I liked earlier sounds boring now..
    milliblog la 200 word koduthappave ninaichen..... this may not go down as much well nu
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    • Sawaari - No complaints, thriller blend with commedy. Thanks for not having separate flashback for Physco

• Ennul Aayiram - Directed by an assistant of A.L.Vijay | no comments

• Aviyal - Out of 4 only 2 were interesting (Aunty & Alphonse Puthren)

• Oyee - Old wine in very Old bottle

• Vetrivel - No complaints, A true SASIKUMAR movie.
    Dane Dane Pe Likha Hai Khane Wale Ka Naam

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast