Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Growing Tulsi plant

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Idiappam (@ cach*) on: Fri Oct 3 02:37:28 EDT 2003

6 months (in pots) to 2 years (on ground) - only in the tropics!

Well, approximately!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Tulsi (@ 212.*) on: Fri Oct 3 11:06:47 EDT 2003

Is that so, Idiappam. The plant I'm referring to has been on ground for the last 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Idiappam (@ cach*) on: Fri Oct 3 11:50:47 EDT 2003

Thank you, Tulsi for that information. I believe this must be the record setting plant that you had!

Normally in horticulture and agriculture, the life of plants is based on its useful life. The plant is considered 'expired' when - it loses it beauty, or it does not produce a good yeild (of leaves, fruits, flowers, or seeds etc. The plant is discarded and replaced then. For tulsi and most plants of the same genus (Ocimum - Lamiateae) I have got the longest life span as about 2 years. Thank you again for the update!

Post Thanks / Like

shilpa (@ dhcp*) on: Mon Oct 6 17:48:46 EDT 2003

How can i take care of my baby tulsi plant in winters?

Post Thanks / Like

PUSHPA PATEL (@ ) on: Fri Oct 31 10:22:59

Hi! Whoever is reading this mail
    I would love to have some "Krisna Tulsi" and "Ram Tulsi" seeds. I cannot find them anywhere. Some people bring them from India but I do not have anybody in India to send me. Please if anybody has any seeds please let me know.
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Selina Chan (@ user*) on: Sat Nov 1 22:05:28 EST 2003

Looking for Tulsi? I found this here
    http://www.wolfriver.net/gardens.htm

And it is growing like weed!!

Nice folks to deal with.

selina

Post Thanks / Like

h (@ 202.*) on: Wed Nov 5 09:33:34 EST 2003

h

Post Thanks / Like

Dharmaksetra das (@ mtvn*) on: Thu Nov 6 03:31:10 EST 2003

Namaste and Jai Sri Krishna! Tulsi should not be thrown out if she has dried up. Branches can be used to make kunti mala beads, japa beads, or counter beads (beads use to count japa rounds). If you wish you can bury tusli, but throwing out is not good. This is recommended if Tulsi has already left. I know of Tulsi plants lasting a few years. Do what you can to prolong her life. The power of bhakti is strong! I presently have two Tulsi plants and it is getting into winter where I am. I use plant lights and also make sure that she gets adequate sun light on the south side of house through a window. This is of course changable daily. Some "sick" plants were given to me and they too are doing well. Letting small plants grow in a small planter until root structure is developed is a good idea. Sometimes having a planter much bigger than the plant isn't good. It may be better to gradually increase planter size as plant grows. Making sure to use cow manure for fertilizer is good. Dried kind from green house works, but stay away from chemical fertilizers. Use plant spray bottle from time to time to bath Tulsi and keep leaves clean. Offer water, ghee lamp, incense from time to time for nice puja and that will result in a much better condition beyond just the simplicity of water, light, and soil conciderations. All is important. If she is not doing well, perhaps a change of soil, more/less water, more light, or cow manure to replenish soil will result is change back to health. Consider such conditions to be a test of how much you desire her to remain. Playing bhajans and the spiritual puja should not be underestimated though. Be careful about not enough sun, or too much water esp in winter. Water amounts should reflect show fast what you put in earlier is being used. Over doing something good can also be bad. Yellowing leaves may indicate not enough light, or water amounts may need changed. Black leaves can be trimmed off with sharp scissors, never pulled. These are just some suggestions that I hope will help you. Hare Krishna!

Post Thanks / Like

Tejal (@ ac82*) on: Wed Dec 3 16:04:49

Hi,
    I bought a Tulsi plant some 3-4 months back in summer. It grew very well for 1-2 months. I repotted it since its roots were coming out of the holes of the pot. After few weeks its leaves started falling and there was a white powder like substance on the leaves. I water it everyday and have kept on my window sill where there is plenty of sunlight in the morning. But there is no sign of improvement. The only positive sign is it is still growing vertically but with only few leaves left on its branches. Please help me. I want it to live.
    I live in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like

Kavi (@ webc*) on: Wed Dec 3 16:46:03 EST 2003

Hi Tejal,

The problem in your case is that the pot is too small for it. change the plant into a bigger pot as soon as possible. I also have plants at home and have had similar problems but now all of them a growing wonderfully.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast