View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear 'tacinema'....

Your questions are correct. Karnan, Sivandha Mann, Motor Sundaram Pillai...are not utter flop movies. They had run more than 100 days in some cities. But comparing to their oppenents Vettaikaaran, Nam Naadu, Anbe Vaa.... Sivaji's movies did not get that much hit and collection. (Enga Oor raja is a flop, no doubt).

Particularly 'Karnan' was defeated by 'Vettaikaaran' is undigestable even by MGR fans of past and present. Even now also, who are watching both films, surprising how Vettaikaaran defeated a big budgetted and quality movie 'Karnan', which possess all aspects for a mega hit movie.

Same like that MGR's 'Idhaya Veenai' also crossed 100 days, but comparing to the mega hit of 'Vasantha Maaligai' it has not added as a hit movie.

As you mentioned, hero worship is not only in Tamil Nadu, but in Andhra (NTR Dhevudu kaaru) and karnataka (Rajkumar) and also spreaded to Hindi when Abitab enetered the field.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saradhaa_sn
    Dear 'tacinema'....

Your questions are correct. Karnan, Sivandha Mann, Motor Sundaram Pillai...are not utter flop movies. They had run more than 100 days in some cities. But comparing to their oppenents Vettaikaaran, Nam Naadu, Anbe Vaa.... Sivaji's movies did not get that much hit and collection. (Enga Oor raja is a flop, no doubt).

Particularly 'Karnan' was defeated by 'Vettaikaaran' is undigestable even by MGR fans of past and present. Even now also, who are watching both films, surprising how Vettaikaaran defeated a big budgetted and quality movie 'Karnan', which possess all aspects for a mega hit movie.

Same like that MGR's 'Idhaya Veenai' also crossed 100 days, but comparing to the mega hit of 'Vasantha Maaligai' it has not added as a hit movie.

As you mentioned, hero worship is not only in Tamil Nadu, but in Andhra (NTR Dhevudu kaaru) and karnataka (Rajkumar) and also spreaded to Hindi when Abitab enetered the field.
    really? ............karnan is such a great movie......how come it be defeated....its my favourite shivaji movie...he is so stylish in that movie

Senior Member Veteran Hubber mr_karthik's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan
    really? ............karnan is such a great movie......how come it be defeated....its my favourite shivaji movie...he is so stylish in that movie
    Nilavu sir,

For fans like you, I made a post in 'Nadigar thilagam Sivaji Ganesan' thread in this forum, about the movie 'Karnan'.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saradhaa,
    Thanks for clarification. Karnan got defeated by Vettaikkaran?? MGR's Vettaikkaran is a trash, except songs and Savitri's acting. Somehow, our people failed to appreciate quality against charisma....

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.intamm.com/movies/history/history3.htm

A superstar who dominated Tamil film scene for three decades M.G.Ramachandran or "M.G.R.". Making his debut in Ellis R. Dungan’s "Sathi Leelavathi" (1936) in a small role he made his way up, up and up - playing small and indifferent roles in the beginning and steadily to more important roles.

In 1947 he appeared as hero in the film "Rajakumari" (1947), directed by A.S.A. Sami. M.G. Ramachandran worked hard to create a personal image as a good Samaritan, do-gooder of the underdog, under privileged, depressed, dispossessed and suffering multitudes. Working with care he chose and moulded his scripts to suit and project such image.

He came out enormously successfully in such image building, which made him an idol of the masses and icon. This popularity and mass following as a bright ever ready to come to the aid of damsels in distress, and champion of the sufferings of ill-treated womanhood. His charisma was so great that the common man and woman of all ages saw the difference or distinction between his screen and real life personalities. This aspect of his life and career awaits a detailed study by a competent psychologist.

Politically active from his early days MGR, with C.N.Annadurai and became his ardent devotee. MGR utilized the powerful medium of cinema as a tool of change to project his ideology, ideas, aims, ambitions, objectives and goals. Through his films, he spread the message of uplifting of the down trodden in which he found amazing success.

"Nadodi Mannan" (1958). This film in color was produced and directed by MGR who also played in double role. "Nadodi Mannan" succeeded enormously at the box-office and established MGR as one of the major forces in Tamil Cinema.

M.G. Ramachandran's fine films are "Rajakumari" (1947), "Manthiri Kumari" (1950),"Sarvathikari" (1951),"Chakravarthi Thirumagal" (1957), "Pudumai Pitthan" (1957), "Nadodi Mannan" (1958), "Araslingakumari" (1961), "Thai Shollai Thattathey" (1961), "Padagotti" (1965), "Anbey Va" (1966), "Kavalkaran" (1969), "Rickshakaran (1971), "Uulagam Suttrum Valiban" (1973), "Urimaikural" (1974), "Idhyakani" (1975), "Meenava Nanban" (1971).

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_karthik
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan
    Nilavu sir,

For fans like you, I made a post in 'Nadigar thilagam Sivaji Ganesan' thread in this forum, about the movie 'Karnan'.
    oh ...yeah...i know

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am/was NOT a fan of MGR.

I liked his foll movies though.

anbE vaa
    adimaip pen
    enga veetup pillai

I wanna watch..(Ive not watched yet)

padagotti
    alibabavum 40 thirudargaLum
    neela malaith thirudan (or something like that)
    malaik kaLLan
    ulagam sutrum vaaliban.

One more movie which I forgot had a song
    "kangal irandum endru ummaik kandu pesumo!"
    Castadmini, anjalidevi, mgr. I forgot the movie name

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sakthi,
    that movie is 'Mannathi Mannan'

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thx joe. Its mannathi mannan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Movie: Naa Yen Pirandhen
    Song : "Unathu Vizhiyil Enathu Paarvai"
    Lyric : Kavinger Vaali
    Music : Shankar - Ganesh
    Singers: TMS & P.Suseela
    Cast: MGR & K.R.Vijaya

"Naan Yen Pirandhen" one of the best movies by MGR, which is beeing liked by all type of audience for various reasons.

1.Actually it is entirely different from all MGR movies.
    2.In the starting itself MGR was shown as a married man and having children.
    3. Not even a single dialogue about politics.
    4. No normal MGR manarism in songs, lifting hands in the air etc (except the first song)
    5. Rare combination of MGR & K.R.Vijaya (only 5 or 6 like Vivasayi, Nalla Neram, Thozhilaali etc)
    6. Different type of music compossed by Shankar Ganesh.

That movie has fentastic songs, each one is differ from the other in all aspects.

1) Naan yen pirandhen...naattukku nalamenna purindhen (thathuva paadal)
    2) Thambikku oru paattu (it has two versions)
    3) Naan paadum paadal nalamaaga vendum (one of the best TMS number)
    4) Unathu vizhiyil enathu paarvai (only duet song)
    5) Siththira cholaigale (by Bharathidasan, I already mentioned in Kalangarai vilakkam post)
    6) Thalai vaazhai ilai pottu virundhu vaiththen... (S.Janaki & Jikki)
    (one more song is there as the imagination of Kanchana, dancing with MGR).

I choosed "UNATHU VIZHIYIL ENATHU PAARVAI" because whenever I hear this song (not only me, but everyone) feel something special, due to its mild tunes. Normally SG's tunes in all other movies will be too fast, but here all different.

"Kai therndha sirpiyin kaiyil kidaikkum kal (stone), arputhamaana silai vadivam peruvathu pola, Shankar Ganesh, therndha sirpiyaana MGR kaiyil kidaikka, avar ivargalidamirundhu, kaalamellaam peyar sollum tune galai veli kondu vandhaar. Avaigalil ondru thaan indha paadal".

It was shooted in Brindhavan Garden with MGR and KRV, without MGR formula manarisms, when they are singing the song, Thengai Srinivasan, one of the villains searching for MGR, but they will sing hiding behind the bushes to escape from his sight.

Andha tune patri ennavo sollanum pola irukku, aanaa adhukku sariyaana vaarththai enakku kidaikkalai. Avvalavu arputhamaan melody. Avanga 'Gurunaathar' MSV paaniyil pottiruppaanga. 'Shankar Ganesh potta tunaa idhu'? endru andrum indrum ellorum viyakkiraargal.

Paadiyavargalai patri sollanumaa?. 1000 kanakkil paadi asathiya jodi, idhaiyum romba anaayaasamaaga paadiyiruppargal. Adhilum indha TMS irukkaare... adeyappa. Charanathil mudhal adiyai paadumbothu, mudhalil conitnue aagavum, meendum adhaiye paadumpodhu idaiyil konjam niruthiyum attagaasam pannuvaar. (Meendum andha paadalai ketkumbothu unnipaaga gavaniyungal)

"uyir konda oviyam ondrooo thunai ondru serndhadhendru"
    again
    "uyir konda oviyam ondru (stop) thunai ondru serndhadhendru"

same like this, in next charanam
    "enakkendru vaazhavathu konjammm unakkendru vaazhum nenjam"
    again
    "enakkendru vaazhvathu konjam (stop) unakkendru vaazhun nenjam"

Suseela amma mattum enna kurainjavangalaa...

"kan imaiyaathu pen ival nindraal, kaaranam kooruvatho
    Un(n)ai kaanbathenna sugamo...Un(n)ai kaanbathenna sugamo"

same like this, in end of next charanam

"Ponmanam konda mannavan anbil en uyir vaazhgirathu
    adhu endrum vaazhum uravu...adhu endrum vaazhum uravu"

This is the duet song not by the lovers, but between the beloved husband and wife, who already have children...which is a rare situation in MGR movies.

For several reasons, and its catchable melody and for its well picturisation....it is one of my everloving songs.

anbudan....sarooo.

Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast