View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 52 of 147 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomm due to bakrid holiday for my duaghter.
    hus has meeting so no packing lunch and bf.

so i would get up late

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    shhhhhhhhh end dign.

this aint chat thread.

bye

Moderator Diamond Hubber Thirumaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirumaran
    What so ever MGR is not a good actor.When it comes to acting he is zero.This is my opinion
    I am not sure on how many movies you watched on MGR. Whatsoever no actor is Zero. Everybody has talents. Without any talent in acting he would not survived in cine world for a long time. People are not fools.
    I m sorry..i strongly believe educated people supported Shivaji rather than MGR at that time.All Illiterates loved MGR for his gimmicks.You people telling that MGR is better than Rajini may be in political perspective but not at all in acting department.6-il irundhu 60 varai is a small example for Rajinikanth and his acting capabilities.Only thing we have to appreciate is that MGR learned the pulse of the people.His target was once again B and C class.
    Yes Thirumaran i almost saw 70% of MGR movies.I dont find any difference at all.Nilavu if u like MGR you should like Rajni,Ajith &Vijay.I m not comparing them but it seems that you like heroisms
    I differ from your view. Many of the rich people liked Shivaji than MGR. When it comes to those who are not finacially good likes MGR more than Shivaji.
    Literate or illetrate materials is not applicable i think. There are several literates liked MGR. Atleast i have seen many. Definetly i am not a illetrate. And if you feel all the illetrates dont know anything, then go with your view. The illetrates also have world knowledge. There may be some exceptions. If you say '6-il irundhu 60 varai ' as an example for Rajini, I can say 'Paasam', 'Naan Yaen piranthaen', 'Kaanchi thalaivan' as examples for MGR's Talent.
    I heard about B and C centres. Not sure about what u refer to B or C grade people. For me there are two grades. High and Low. The high and low grade is based on the characters.

It does not mean that MGR fans has to like Rajini, Vijay and Ajit. MGR had some good principles. That is one reason I like him more than his acting talents. Also whatever he said in On screen he did most of the thing off screen also. Dont bring others.
    They just keep on saying some unnessary things.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way i too like Rajini. Same applicable to Ajit and Vijay. But of the late I hate some of the recent vijay movies.
    Vijay fans please do not come for a fight.
    I am done today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    k bye all.

thiru, nilavu, great, villain.

no hard feelings.

Bye, Bye. Hope of the late you would have had a good time pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming back to original topic.

This one i read in Kumudam(some 10 years ago).

Kumudam was interviewing the family of MGR's brother.

This was the incident they told in that.

During a birthday celebration of one of MGR's brother's son/daughter, they planned to cut the cake and celebrate as we do today following western culture. MGR advised them that eating cake is fine. But not to switch off the candles as it is not the tamil culture. Instead of that lighten a kuthu vilakku for these kind of celebrations.
    Also instead of singing 'Happy birthday' do something in tamil for this.
    They followed that in the following years.

He was during election times bashed as a Non Tamilian. But the respect he gave for this culture was really a great thing.

People may come and argue that he did that with polictical purpose.
    But this thing is not known till his life time. It came out after his death only.

Also quite some years before there was a thodar article every week in the Magazine 'Baakya'. The name of that is 'Ettaavathu vallal'. That came for several weeks. So many known and unknown personalities praised on MGR and his good doings and the great help they got from MGR.

He is really a great personality without any doubt

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamal reached more heights than Shivaji- Silly!
    That is not silly my dear. However I will talk about this in a latter time.
    No need thanks! Dont teach me!
    I believe i am not teaching anything. Definetly kamal is more popular than shivaji, more versatile and to add to that got hell and lots of awards to prove that.

I have greater respect for shivaji. As he is the one to a certain extent responsible for the heights of Kamal.
    Thirumurugan,
    Me too a kamal fan..But I can't agree that Kamal reached the height of sivaji in acting ..hell no..Sure kamal is more talented and multitalented personality ..But in acting department ,he he..only in dreams kamal can reach sivaji .

Eventhough ,I have no respect for these awards ,for the arguement sake ,sivaji is the actor got Asia-african best actor award and chevaliar award from France .We know the credibility of national awards and film fare awards ..don't compare GOLD with Pithalai.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thirumaran,

Seems you were pretty hot today, bashing every actors from Sivaji to Rajini.

Some of your arguments were totally ridiculous, especially saying Kamal is better than Sivaji in acting. Thanks god, you did not say that MGR was a better actor than Sivaji!! Just because you are a MGR fan, do not ridicule sivaji. Sivaji is one actor that every tamilian should feel proud of. Just because Sivaji is a tamilian, and because of petty politics, he never got due recognition. Look at the recognition Sivaji got from other countries, just great. Sivaji was a trend setter, he gave a new revolutionary definition to acting. In reel life, MGR never set any trend, except indulging every other artist job, like musicians, lyricist and singers. If MGR were acting today, he wouldn't survive even a day!! He was extremely lucky that he got musicians like MSV and lyricist Vaali. Today artists wouldn't tolerate this kind of interference. I have heard MGR was always late in movie shooting; he wanted to make sure that every artist would wait for him. On other other hand, Sivaji was known for dedication and punctuality. Sivaji made a lasting impression with most of his movies, for eg. VP Kattabomman. Tell me one MGR movie which made a great impression; even USV is good only for great songs. In USV, in fact, Ashokan did a better job than MGR.

Among MGR movies, the following are OK:

1. Malai Kallan
    2. Nadodi Mannan
    3. Mahadevi
    4. Anbe vaa

Other movies are just "SELF PURANAS", like Thengai Srinivasan praising MGR on every alternative scene!! MGR made pretty low class movies, during the end of his movie career, such as Idhaykkani, Nalai namadhe, Uzhaikkum Karangal and so on. In all these movies, no doubt, heroines such as latha were exposed in an erotic way. Even at the end of his career, Sivaji gave classics such as Mudhal mariyadhai and Devar Magan.

Comparing MGR with Rajini, definitely Rajini was far better actor. Some of his movies prove this: 6-to-60, Bhuvan oru ?, Johnny, Dhalapathy and so on. Sivaji and Rajini can beat MGR in any department, especially in comedy.

One thing I will admit: Sivaji was disaster in politics. The reason was Sivaji did not know how to act in real life, though he was exellent in reel life.

On the other hand, MGR was very good in manipulating people and became a better politician. He used cinema exclusively for political purpose and he won. He was a better person compared to other politicians in that time. But as a CM, his performance was dismal compared to the great Kamaraj.

So, as an actor MGR was disaster and as a politican, he was just fine. So, just because you are a MGR fan, do not ridicule Sivaji. Feel proud of Sivaji as a great actor, the way North Indians feel great about Amitabh. Learn something from others!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    ungalukku enga valikkuthu avar vantha enna? varlainna enna?

If u want u vote else dont. Every person has right to enter politics or stay away from it. INCLUDING U OR ME.

and DONT REMIND ME OF MGR'S actions for songs.

gudugudunnu ooooooodi vanthu left hand neeti....... (first oru line.........)

then he would extend his right hand to point out another direction (sing next line)
    rajni periya prabhu deva maadhri aadi kilichitaru!

m.g.r is a better dancer than rajni

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    joe...how did u forget the kamal's "best asian actor" award twice and he is the producer & director of the "best asian film" once

kamal is surely at the heights of shivaji!