Thread: Need advice for those moving to USA !!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber Pushpa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice for those moving to USA !!

Hi folks,

My sister is planning to relocate to the USA, end of this year. So would be very helpful if those who are living there kindly answer a few of our doubts. They are currently living in Muscat, with their 2 kids ( 7 & 5yrs. old), and will all be travelling together [2 adults/ 2 kids], once the H1B formalities are over. Since my mum is very elderly & living in our home-town (village) with my brothers, my sister's family cannot stay in India till her hubby gets a job & settles down. Also, we know nobody in the States with whom they can stay for the initial few months. Hence the following problems :

1} Where can my sis. family stay ? Can they rent a flat without the hubby having got a job -- And if the husband has to fly to other states for interview etc. can the family stay safely in the flat ? How costly it will be ?

2}What is best way to carry required cash ---- as initial months till he gets a job, they have to give from their savings ; when can they get credit card ?

3} Can they rent a car ? If not, how to go about buying groceries etc. ?

4} Can the kids join the schools in the middle , after winter hols. [around mid-Jan] or must they be missing the rest of the year & join only in Sep. ? Is any particular detail / certificate necessary from the school they are presently studying in ?

5} Apart from the basic few vessels / masala powders for cooking, what other domestic item will be must to carry ? How to carry jewels ? How to carry all her pooja stuff -- like swami pictures, small idols, kumkum / vibhuthi, lamps etc. ?

6} Their heavier possessions like books / toys / etc. should come by what cargo -- sea or air, which is better cost-wise and time-wise ?

Hoping to get some sound advise / suggestions and tips from those already experienced with these situations ,
    With thanks,
    Pushpa.
    Don't 'darofy' , simply 'karofy' ......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Can you tell me(us) which city in USA is she moving in? I think this would help in answering your questions 1-5. My brother recently moved to India from UK and he sold almost all his *heavier* posessions. Sea usually takes a lot of days, but cost-effective I would say. If she needs any of those urgently then air would be the best.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber Pushpa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kasi_sce,
    Though the body shopper [that's what the agent is called right, not sure...] is based in New Jersy, depends on when & where my bro. in law gets a job !! They are coming only on his H1B, and then search job there.

Hope it's clear,
    Pushpa.
    Don't 'darofy' , simply 'karofy' ......