Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthi
    my perception is...
    we should think about GOD also & recite some slokas which helps one to get stilled his/her mind for that we need to devote sometime.
    And also know the meanings of watever slokas/hymns we chant & take advantage of those to develop our character spiritually!
    I rem. 5-6 yrs ago my sis once made fun of me wen she got to know tat I didnt know how to recite Gayathri Manthra......
    So I took it as a challenge from her & learnt it but only by-heart......I later began to question the purpose of learning it as I realised tat many ppl. who do dont know the meaning of this manthra (& many other slokas tat r recited)....they jus seem to recite it by-heart bcos they r like, expected to know it!
    So I began a quest for knowing the meanings of each & every religious sloka we hav & wat benefit it provides us b4 learning it thoroughly.....
    Btw, um.....who's "Guruji"??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lambretta ! Arthi calls Shakthi her GURUJI

Well coming to ur point of taking things by-heart ! Do u know those days in Gurukulas, manthras, vedas n other lessons were taught and the gurus made the children to by-heart the same ... When u learn manthras by=heart , there are many things that u do !

1) Subconsciously ur mind keeps reciting what u know by-heart, even a small spark is enough to trigger that event

2) The more u recite the vedas n hymns n manthras, the more u generate vibrations in the place, tahts why temples are high on vibrations, because the lord is the roopam of knowledge, manthram, hynmn or vedas n more !

3) You not only generate vibrations inside, u generate vibrations outside

Remember we say "Lokan Samastan sukhino bavantu"

We care more for others too !

So, even if u dont know the meanings, u are bound to generate the vibrations due to the very property of what u r saying !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh rite.....SP's her Guruji! Altho no idea how/y...hmm......

Yea BG, u may be rite abt wat u say reg. by-hearting of slokas......but still, I'm skeptical as to how this is goin2 help an average individual in his everyday life.......it may be a diff. issue in case of temple priests (even tho I wud feel tat they too sound like they just learnt wat they recite by pure 'batti' (telugu for by-heart/rote)......
    It is necessary to understand the meanings of watever religiously derived literature tat u read, by-heart or otherwise, as they wer basically ment to help u develop urself spiritually & also lest sumone challenges the usefulness of these & deamnds to know wat they signify to u......once my friend's father made me sit down w/ him & recite the Vishnu Sahasranama along w/ him wen I'd stayed at ther house in hyd.......but I felt a sort of revulsion in me during tat 1/2 hr as I wasnt able to know wat I was actually reading & y......
    Hav also known of ppl. reading out the Bhagwat Gita page by page everyday, in various pitches, yet most of them dont realise the actual meaning behind each saying in the book!
    Therefore I decided to rely for the time being, on books wher the translation/meaning of all religious chanting is given.....only then hav I begun to realise how significant they r......

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vibrations from mantras are TOO POWERFUL to create postive energy.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well,

LEARNING THEM WITH MEANING, helps oneself change(by realization)

reciting without knowing the meaning, GENERATES waves around us, which is powerful to create good energy around us to keep us happy.

The latter is good too, though the effect is lil lesser.

dign

lambretta,

I DONT KNOW WHY SHE CALLS ME GURUJI.

Ive told her, I am not much interested in religion, rituals, and things connected to it. I just tend to or strive to understand something which is beyond me (call it whatever name). I wanna know if there is something which cant be crumbled down to MERE SCIENCE.

YET SHE FEELS she has to call me 'GURUJI'

The funny fact is she knows more things than me (religion and mythology wise).

I just talk DRY-PHILOSOPHY at times. Thats bout it.

/end dign.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mantras are powerful sounds. Mantras are the ones that have when chanted produce great effects. These are chanted repeatedly and that is called Japa. It creates a positive vibrations around you.
    My sister says that the positive vibration created by this japa takes up one to the higher state.
    It is the ulmitate path to get the eternal bliss. Rarely I also feel that as if am flying i have enjoyed my life fully and ready for my next journey ...
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a doubt...

Whatever slokas/Mantras we recite that is not composed by us. These slokas emanate from great sages/rishis/devotees thoughts. Whatever they imagined about the god or they wanted they mentioned in their scriptures.

For Eg: If we take SADGURU THAGARAJA, in all his works he mentioned his names... (He showed his love/Bhakthi/feelings for RAMA)

so if we want to workship god or praise god we are using those already written slokas/songs etc.
    Is it not contradictory that we are using those ppls' work to do our prayer?

I always have this doubt... Endha slogam sonnalum kadaseela adhai Ezhidhinava perayum varum

eg:In Divya Prabhandham... Alwars included their name in each and every poem... At the end of the prabhandham we say Andal ThiruvadigalaE chararam so on & so forth...
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Post Thanks / Like
    In Sahasranama also it comes
    Arjunav Uvacha, Parvathi Uvacha... Bahgawan give answers to their Questions.. Right...
    They are asking & Bhagwan is giving answer
    But why are we reciting this?m

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha

dign

lambretta,

I DONT KNOW WHY SHE CALLS ME GURUJI.

Ive told her, I am not much interested in religion, rituals, and things connected to it. I just tend to or strive to understand something which is beyond me (call it whatever name). I wanna know if there is something which cant be crumbled down to MERE SCIENCE.

YET SHE FEELS she has to call me 'GURUJI'
    /end dign.
    <Digression>

GURUJI Enna Appadi Solleteenga?
    Aapadi koopidakoodadha, tell me I will TRY to stop it
    I like this word GURUJI very much.. @ my Office also I used to call my friend like this. If someone teaches me, obviously they are my GURUJI... U teaches me a lot & so u r my GURUJI...

You call me shishya very simple
    <Digression>

Post Thanks / Like

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast