Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage at an early age for girls in rural areas

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Marriage at an early age for girls in rural areas

We all have discussed the various ways woman have been mistreated and not given freedom. But i also have had this thought for many years after my grandmother discussed with me about her friends' marriage at that time. Dunt all of you think that marriage at such an early age(usually after puberty ceremony) destroys the woman dreams of what she might want to do in her life? Should early marriage be opressed by the police in each village/district going strict over early marriages and the legal age increased to 21?
    Please do give your views on this as this is a often overlooked topic.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmn .... interesting huh !
    well those days ... avangala enga yosikka vittaanga ! appove theriyum polirukku, ivangala yosikka vitta nambalaye over take panniduvaanga nnu .... adhaan veetula pooti vechirundhaanga ! seekiram kalyanam pannitaanga ! so that they are confined to home ....

is early marriage biologically wrong ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure but i believe at such a young age women are highly prone to getting pregnant and thus the great risk of having quite alot of children. Perhaps if the government looked at this our population problem would be partly solved. (Partly solved because another part is about family planning)

Post Thanks / Like
    Family Planning in India ... it is a distant dream ... but we can achieve it ... provided we understand what it really means .... here we are very much confined towards generations ...thats the reason !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Senior Hubber goodsense's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This seems to be a stuck thread because of the dilemmas that can be seen when one start to discuss.

Teenage girls from the villages are the most precious jewellry you can find. However, bias this might sound, I haven't seen any challenged that prove otherwise. City gilrs always think they are greater/superior, just because hey are more exposed. I remember how inferior I use to feel when the city gilrs come to visit fmaily in the villages, but later appreciated the values of a village girl. No matter what greatness she rises to, you can find humility and all the good qualities in her even when the waters are a bit rough.

Most men looking for good wives want to marry these kind of females from the villages. Such men are usually uneducated themselves and just as innocent. The educated ones, would prefer their wives from the villages to have some sort of formal education.

A teenage girl from a village environment would always have difficulties moving away from the expectations of those in her village environment. Some kind of suprort is definitely necessary to encourage and help her in moving away from traditional expectations and the way she was conditioned to think - start a family at an early age. And the community/people around her need to know that such education would not necessarily make her lose her values. This brings me to the point of village values and customs verses values and customs of the city girl likely to be educated. Is something really given up to get something and how much is it worth it?

I wanted to reply to this since last night, but was too tired an a bit down and still tired tonight. So if I don't make sense, excuse me. I will continue next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since villagers generally focus on farming and other menial jobs and they usually do not focus on educating their children through books, young girls and to a certain extent boys are uneducated in villages. There is no interference with the values and customs except that they fear education might spoil their child to become modern or even ditch their families...as for girls because of the way they are valued in villages..they are to a certain extent barred from education.

To prove the villagers that education does not spoil them, an educated girl has to prove that she can also be simple and still the same even if she goes foreign for education...i believe the perception of city girls behaviour puts them off the topic of educating their girls.

Post Thanks / Like
    kudos goodsense ... u do make sense ... u ve brought out a fact which keeps lingering in many ppl s minds !

I assume u had been to some villages, probably ur grand parent's place !

I would like to re-iterate this by pointing out some probs which even village girls face ! Nowadays, villages too are getting affected coz of media ! they watch all funny things shown in different channels ... earlier this was the only stuff which kept them a little away from absurd things ! but now everything is at their doorstep !

The only good thing now(which may change in the future) is that the girls in villages are mature enough to think which might suit them ... what other girls in the city think is "Let me try it on me, i may look good this way .... " (am just generalizing the feel) Experimenting is what they are into - the city type !

But village girls knew they are in a very closely monitored environment, whatever happens, whatever mistake they do...will easily be visible throughout the village ... faster than CNN or BBC ! believe me ! so they are careful in doin things ...they just dont experiment .. coz they are in a closed watched circuit !

Post Thanks / Like
    BG..neenga solluruthu paartha CIA style security Villages leh nadukuthu mathiri irukku......like goodsense madam pointed out...its the villages fear that binds this girls to obscurity....perhaps if the villagers were more broad minded the girls can be given a chance to prove themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hulk rename the topic yaar ... countryside shld be visible to shower in proper points idam pathalanna andha residing word yeduthuttu update pannunga !

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast