Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage at an early age for girls in rural areas

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even I dont like the idea of early marriage for girls (or boys altho tats now not so in their case).....sum frind once told me tat its best to marry a girl who's still in her late teens, like 18-19...!
    But I simply dont like the idea......not only bcos of the suppressive nature it has but IMO tats is still considered as the age for studies/carefree attitude, so girls wudnt be mentally/emotionally mature as yet to take on the transformation of a wife/DIL & thereafter mother! They wud be by & large unprepared for this new role.....& they hav the chance to prepare for it only b4 they enter wedlock as they cant go back to their mothers' care after tat....so I feel the min. age shud be 22-23...altho I wud think it more ideal to marry sumone a little older than tat....like, 24-25....
    My mother was 24 (& my father 25) wen they got married......her father wanted to hav her married off much b4 like, wen she was 20+....but she vehemtently fought against it, bcos she was still doing her MBBS then, plus she was against the idea of early marriage for girls....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We talk well ! but ultimately it boils down to what we actually do !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lamby unga amma vittu society leh speech kodukka sollu pa...approm thaan konjam buthiyaavethu varettum...ellarum sernthu pesuvom.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsense
    Hulkster wrote:

"Do you people have any suggestions on how we can do this?...enlightment is needed fast for such socieities on the atrocities forced upon women."

I didn't want to reveal this as yet, but since you ask, I will. I am a member of the women's committee at the Vishnu Mandir here in Richmondhill, Ontario. We are having a meeting in a few days. The women are all Indian and from different countries. I have in mind to raise this issue alongside that about the children. Dr. B. Doobay, the head of the temple will be present, the only male I am told. It would be nice to have some men like you at the meeting Hulkster. And I am a bit perterb that we are not getting much response on this topic and discussion so far. What does this mean?
    Well i cant fly to Canada suddenly..but i am thinking of joining UNICEF when i grow up and fight against this atrocities...possibly i will also try to work along with organisations like that of yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    guys for ur efforts !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Senior Hubber goodsense's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just before I go to bed, thought I share this since it came to mind thinkng about this topic and what we have been discussing here.
    When I left the village for the first time at age ten, we had to take the boat to cross the Essequibo river. I remember saying to the lady taking me to the city (who was in the boat with me), "how come land, water land again"?.

I wouldn't be surprised, for many women leaving the village for the first time in their 30s, 40s or even 50s for the city, might ask the same question. Many of them never went to the city all their lives. It's sounds funny, but it's sad too

Post Thanks / Like
    "....possibly i will also try to work along with organisations like that of yours."

Good going Hulkster. There is need for more like you. And I think the right teachings has to start at home. People should train their sons before marriage how to treat (in the circumstances)and respect women, not only what to expect Moreover, how to treat a sister equally and fairly. I am saying this because when it comes to education, the sons are given priority and sometimes even at the expense of their sisters.

A man who makes a good brother and a sons is likely to be a good husband and vice versa. May be I am digressing a bit here, but I think it's related.

Post Thanks / Like
    goodsense ... i didnt get u ! sorry !

Post Thanks / Like
    I said so much in my last two posts. Which part is unclear? Or is the sign that I should get to bed. It's after 2.am here, didn't realize it and I have an important appointment today which I must prepare for.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is one guy in my class ....his mom got married when she was 13 and he was around the same year ...maybe when his mom was 14 ....

when he was 16 his mom just entered her 30's

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast