Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Malayalam Film Music

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Fri Jul 28 05:37:05 EDT 2000

Here's my comments on 'Ayaal..':

The moment I got the songs and knew they were by Raveendran, I couldn't resist expecting HH.abdulla,Bharatham standards. (i confess i have heard only a few mallu albums.) And was disappointed.. But after a few listenings, the songs have grown on me a bit.

I don't have very detailed comments on each song as MS has reviewed them quite nicely. I do agree with him more or less. My ratings would be:

1. yetho nidhrathan (A-) : clearly the best song in this album. Melodious and gets a 'once more'. The melody sounded to me like carved out of the mohanam part in 'deva sabhathalam' (HHA).
    2. kuppy vala (B): MS is right. Sounds like oldtime melody - 'aahaa inba nilaavinile' comparison was apt . Vaasanthi touches are there.
    3. Maane (B-): reminds me 'tu badi' (HHA) for some reason.
    4. aakaashathaamarai (B-) : Most of the parts are 'arbitrary'. May be this is situation dependent. People who have seen the movie can add more.
    5. marathakakaavil (C)

Overall, IMO this is a just-above-average fare. A couple of good melodies, some 'wild' compositions, but not-so-imaginative orchestration throughout. Nothing novel. I give it a 'B'.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

MS (@ 129.*) on: Fri Jul 28 13:46:44 EDT 2000

RR:

Can you give review of some other albums too ? I shall join you then and there.

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Fri Jul 28 22:18:26 EDT 2000

Sure, MS. Will comment on 'Pallavoor..' next. If you have time, go ahead post yours too.

Post Thanks / Like

MS (@ 129.*) on: Sat Jul 29 13:34:57 EDT 2000

Pallaavoor dhEvanaarayanan:

Another album by Raveendran. After a slightly depressing work in "ayaaL kathaiyezuthugaiyaaNu", I had my doubts. Here is a review and preview of the songs.

PoliyO poli: (4/10) mood - upbeat, lead tune - classical - raga - madhyamaavathi

It is now fashionable for the heroes of the films to prove their mettle in singing too. Sometimes we get an output that is pleasant and sometimes an output not worth a mention. This song falls in the middle The song set in the raga madhyamaavathi had been "tried" by mammootty. The song starts with an old man (probably thilakan - who is the mallu equivalent Vijayakumar in tail) sating a few "words" and you instantly get a feeling of discomfort. Anyway, after that initial ride on this rough voice, mammootty sings the first line with a bass guitar' support and vocal harmony. After this comes a garland of beats - a really good variation using tabla and drums. This is the most appealing part of the song for me. The rest of the song is set almost fully on tabla. The interludes are tolerable. Mammotty's voice is like a 10 year kid 's practicing varnam or geetham If anybody has heard "Vannaathip puzaiyudE theeraththu", he can immediately recognize that the line " poliyO poli pOkkil;E naakkilE" going in tune with "thiruvaathiraiyil sree paarvathiyaai". Madhyamaavathi is one raagam where unless the composer is a genius, not anything new can be churned out. The tabla beats in the song are pretty much like punjabi bhangra. The shehnaai usage is arbitrary. My suggestion is that you may try this song for partying.

(2) VaarththingaLaal: (8/10) mood - ruthrathaaNdavam like - lead tune - classical -raga - hindhOLam

A GEM in Raveendran's repertoire. Set in the raga hindhOLam, I can hardly find an anya swaram. To my naive ears the song seems to be carnatically pure. But one cannot escape "azagu malar aada" - atamil song from "vaidhEhi kaaththirunthaaL" by IR slowly creeping into the mids. As I mentioned already, it is difficult to carve out a melody from a pentatonic raga very different from the existing songs. This song is a perfect example of how a composer of raveendran's calibre can tune a song in a common raga but give a totally different dimension through a good orchestration. The song has two versions - solo(KJY) and a duet(KJY, KSC).

Though one of the biggest fans of KJY, I must admit that the gamakam in KJY's voice is almost nil The swara sanchaaras at the end of the song lack flavour of both KJY and raagam There are a couple of places where his swara rendition is just like a talk. In his heydays, songs like "nakshathra dheepangaL" which are capable of giving any singer a kick, came to him as if they are his most obedient pets. The gamakam and bassy command that he expressed in those kinds of songs are totally lacking now. He sounds very much strained.

Coming out the interludes of the song, the first interlude needs a mention here there is a line which is a note-by-note flick of "Saamaja varagamana" (the fiddle). But the flute and the violins give a richness. The second intelrude has a variety of thaLa structures, but here too the fiddle part has been flicked from a tamil song " malarO nilavO malaimagaLo". The ending portion "G M M D N S G M M D N S G M M D N S". This song has been rendered by JEyachandran. It is one heck of a long interlude.

The final portion of the song has the swaras of KJY which are not so attractive.

(3) ElapulayantE (7/10): mood - song in a paddy field probably and upbeat - lead tune - classic

This is beautiful folksy song set in a two ragas. The first one seems to be naattak kurinji as it reminds heavily of "oru murai vanthu paarththaayaa" and "kaNNaamoochchi yEnada" but once it changes beat it jumps to brindhaavaNi. The violins in the interlude give you no clue as to what is going on during the transition from one raga to the other. But it sounds great. The final flute piece is worth hearing more than twice. A fantastic but fast paced delilvery of brindhaavani.

A qualm I have is the harsh choral harmony that raveendran uses in most of his songs. He should reconsider. A worthy number.

(4) Pularinilaavu7/10) mood -classical lead tune - classical

A song set predominanly in madhyamaavathi with a hell lot of anya swaras. A song worthy of being in our collection. The greatness of the song is in the differences "santham" or "meter" that raveendran effects through out the song. A semi-classical, establishing the title of the movie.

(5) Mridhanga jathi:

Not much to say as it is just jathi. A connoisseur of mridhangam may appreciate if he is capable of imagining a dancer of Dhivyaa uNNi's calibre in his eyes

(6) Sanchara ratha: KJY

Once again does not invoke a comment as it is set in pancha vaadhyam of which I am not a big fan. But raveendran plays his stamp all over by the variation in thaaLa and the tune. The tune is vague and gives no idea as to what ragam it could be though I could hear something similar to thOdi at the end. KJY SOUNDS GREAT !

All these songs (mp3 clips) can be found at:

http://www.myplay.com

Send me a mail if you are interested. Will tell you login & password.

Enjoy !

Post Thanks / Like

MS (@ 129.*) on: Sat Jul 29 22:18:26 EDT 2000

The real audio clips of "ayaaL kathaiyezuthugaiyaaNu" are available at:

http://www.geocities.com/tojop/real.html

Post Thanks / Like

sultanvinay (@ 202.*) on: Sun Jul 30 04:14:14 EDT 2000

can u tell me who sang the song "ponvala illengilum ponnada illengilum ponnin kudam ennum ponnin kudam" A.M.raja or is it udayabhanu?

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Thu Aug 3 04:23:22 EDT 2000

My comments on Pallavoor Devanarayanan.

1. poliyo poli (B-): Mammoty's singing is average, but the tune is lilting and hummable.
    2. vaarthingalaal (B): This is a mixed masala on the overly-used hindolam. The composition moves from one style to another in no time - wild. As pointed out by MS, you even find 'samaja vara gamana' in one interlude. The second interlude (veena piece) seems to use N3 and give chandrakauns feeling. KJY swaras are out of meter, at some places..
    3. elapulayante (B): folkish song. fast paced.
    4. sanchara ratha (B+): whoever has played the 'udukku'(?) has done a very good job..! You can listen to this song, just for that. The melody sounds complicated: keeps shifting ragas at will. I could hear some shades of natakurinji,valaji,shanmugapriya,thodi. KJY spans a good range in this song, however the 'udukku' beats are the highlight in this song.
    6. sindhuraaruna (A): This is a brief ragamalika set in sahana, kanada, madhyamavathi. No beats or any other accompanyment. Just chitra's brilliant voice! Must listen. (MS, did you miss it or is it wrongly classified under 'Pallavoor..'

This album is certainly better than 'aayaal..', not too much. Gets a B+ .

Thanks MS, for the brilliant sound quality .mp3 clips.

Post Thanks / Like

MEnaka (@ 162.*) on: Thu Aug 3 09:44:32 EDT 2000

You guys forgot to mention songs from "DEVASURAM".

Post Thanks / Like

MEnaka (@ 162.*) on: Thu Aug 3 09:45:17 EDT 2000

You guys forgot to mention songs from "DEVASURAM".

Post Thanks / Like

MS (@ 129.*) on: Thu Aug 3 15:20:05 EDT 2000

Menaka:

I dont have the songs of DhEvaasuram with me. I am writing reviews of those songs for which I have mp3 clips. Once I obtain them, I shall give a detailed review of the same.

RR:

thx. I do not really know why I left out SindhooraaruNa - a great rendition by Chithra. IT is indeed a brilliant number and is from the same film.

I shall soon write about "Friends" and "Harikrishnans" - the former by IR and the latter by Ouesphachchan.

Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast