Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    old interview from hindu-2006

TWO SONGSTERS OF A KIND Naresh Iyer and Mahathi have struck a musical chord.

She's 20 and a veteran of over 50 songs. He's 24 and the voice of the "Rang De Basanti" album, with four songs in the cult hit. She shot to fame with "Ayyaiyo Ayyaiyo Pudichirukku"; he, with "Roobaroo" and "Paatshaala". Mahathi and Naresh Iyer sang together for A. R. Rahman's "Godfather" even before they knew each other.

Now, the buddies catch up at Mocha for coffee on a Sunday afternoon as Sudhish Kamath does the recording.

Mahathi: Hi

Naresh: (bursts out laughing) It's kind of weird to interview you.

Mahathi: Yeah, it's weird to be formal.

Naresh: Yeah, I know you are weird. (laughs)

Mahathi: Oh my God! (giggles) Anyway, tell me how did you get to know Rahman?

Naresh: Actually, I had taken part in a competition called Super Singer, conducted by Adnan Sami. Nearly 24,000 contestants had applied. To cut a long story short, finally 25 people were short-listed and Rahmanji happened to be there. I sang something in front of him and then I was called by him. He said, `I have good news for you and bad news, what do you like to hear first?' Then he said: `I'll tell you the good news first. I will be using your voice for my Tamil song. You will be recording something with me next week. And the bad news is that you are out of the competition.' I thought he was just consoling me or joking or something; but he is a genuine person. He actually called me within a week and I sang `Mayilirage.' Then, what about your trip?

Mahathi: My parents used to say I started identifying ragas when I was one and a half. I was in my mother's lap when my father began an alaap in Hamsadhwani and I started jumping saying `Ganapathi Ganapathi' before he started to sing `Vatapi Ganapathim.' So she thought I had some musical talent in me. Appa, who was a disciple of Balamuralikrishna, was my first guru. Then, I learnt in Trivandrum and Trichur. Appa used to get transferred all around Kerala and I was there till my 11th Standard. That's when I got the State award in Kerala for classical music. Amma used to maintain a file of everything I did since I was a child... interviews, live demos, magazine cuttings. She carries it with her always. So when we came to Madras, I went to take the blessings of Ilaiyaraja sir because I'm his greatest fan. My mom brought the file along. Ilaiyaraja sir didn't even see one page in the file... he said he'll see it later. He asked me to sing. It was a dream come true for me.

Naresh: Naturally...

Mahathi: I was so nervous I closed by eyes and sang a keerthanam in Sankarabharanam. Then he just glanced through the file and asked me if I could read Tamil and sent me into the studio. I started crying.

Naresh: You can read and write Tamil?

Mahathi: Yes, I can. I sang for him and he said it was good but I could come the next day and polish it. I was so excited; I came home and told my parents that I sang. They couldn't believe it. They asked me if I wanted to stay back. So we shifted to Chennai.

Naresh: Pretty nice of them.

Mahathi: So in 2002, I did my 12th here. For one year, nothing happened. Then in 2003, I joined Meenakshi College, did my B.A. And that's when I sang for Harris Jeyaraj... Sami... "Ayyaiyo Ayyaiyo Pudichirukku". I was in Vellore when he called. So I came to record for the song overnight. That was my first release and it was a big hit. After that, Vidyasagar sir, Bharadwaj sir, Deva sir and...

Naresh: And Mahathi is all over the place. (laughs)

Mahathi: No, it wasn't like that. Until a year ago, in every interview, I was asked if I hadn't sung for Rahman.

I was waiting for the opportunity and finally I got the song for Godfather...

Naresh: It's a beautiful song that you've got.

Mahathi: We sang it together. I didn't know you then.

Naresh: I didn't know you either.

Mahathi: Vairumuthu sir was there dictating the lyrics: "Innisai Alabedaye, Ilamaiyin Nankodaiye... "

Naresh: Nothing I understood. (smiles)

Mahathi: He sat next to me and was wondering why I was not writing in Tamil. I was writing it in English.

Naresh: I can't read or write Tamil.

Mahathi: You can't even talk (laughs). But do you think it's important for singers to learn the language?

Naresh: Yes, if they know the language, it becomes easier for them.

Mahathi: You can add more feeling to the song, right? Naresh: Yeah, but sometimes even if the tune is nice, you can always emote. Some North Indians are singing South Indian songs and vice versa. So, it's not always necessary...

Mahathi: But it helps... I went to Connexions five times when Godfather audio was about to release. I was wondering if the song was coming and if my name would appear on the album. And then I saw it, there were three versions of the song and my name appeared three times (all excited).

Naresh: The other day, I met you at the studio when you were doing the `Uthukaadu Venkatasubbiar Kritis' album... Congratulations on that.

Mahathi: Thank you. Classical and film singing are entirely different.

(The conversation veers towards technical aspects such as taraanas and soon gets back to Rahman's working style compared to others)

Mahathi: When you work with Ilaiyaraja sir, the song is almost done. Ninety-five per cent of it is done. You sing the song and it's done. He will play the whole song for you.

Naresh: Yeah, with Rahmanji, it's the other way. After you sing, only five per cent is done. And 95 per cent happens after that.

Mahathi: Even Harris Jeyaraj sir is like that.

Naresh: So, we never know what else he has added, so there's always an element of suspense as to how it's going to come out.

Mahathi: My favourite of yours is "Paathshala." It peps you up anytime you listen to it.

Naresh: I like "Tum Bin" and "Roobaroo." How can I not like my own songs? (laughs) I'm grateful to director Rakesh Mehraji, lyricist Prasoon Joshiji and the way "Roobaroo" was used in the climax of the film, the recall value was higher. I liked your "Ayyaiyo Ayyaiyo Pudichirukku."

Mahathi: I should thank my parents, my guru, and Harris Jeyaraj sir and all my music directors.

Naresh: People I want to thank... first my grandmother and my entire family. Of course, Adnan Sami. Because of him only, I could meet Rahmanji. And obviously, Rahmanji had so much faith in me and primarily, God. And, my gurus.
    he's 26 or 27 now

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789