Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of standing Gods

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of standing Gods

A friend who came to my house told me that one should not keep pictures or idols of standing Gods in the house.
    In my pooja room I have a picture of standing Murugan ,a picture of Tirupathi Vengadasalapathi and a idol of standing Ganesha. Could someone enlighten me on this. Thanks. ruby.
    Great men think alike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My grandpa ( or my uncle) used to say that Kannan with flute should not keep in house............. donno why
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess most Murugan pics & venkatachalapathi come in standing posi... I too have it in my pooja place... I don't think there's anything wrong abt it...

Anyways, it all depends on ones personal belief... if what ur friend said is bothering U, better replace it...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crazy and dev. It is not bothering me. Just to know if it's true. If it is true than I have to think about it. Anyway your reply gave me a lot of comfort. thanks again.
    Great men think alike

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong in such pictures. Somebody also told me that Lord Krishna with a blowing flute means that all your riches would be blown away (I was'nt worried 'cause I had no riches) but riches only increased after I kept it on my altar. (why don't you think that He is bringing melody in your life). Muruga and Venkatachalapathy always comes in standing pose only. Try not to keep 'Siva Linga' at home, because I had some bitter experience as I had one at home when I was in Delhi. (Instead you can go for a picture of Nataraja or Ardhanareeswara or Siva&Parvathi). Most astrologers say it is better to have 2 dimensional pictures instead of 3d idols at home altars.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's wrong with Shiva linga kept at home?

I've been told that idols should not be kept in poojaroom because they acquire some kind of 'strength' and if you miss the pooja even for a day ( if you are not at home for a few days or something), its really bad. So, I've kept all my idols in the show case in the living room.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Nothing wrong in such pictures. Somebody also told me that Lord Krishna with a blowing flute means that all your riches would be blown away
    My uncle used the say that.................and we never had a Krishna with flute.
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan

I've been told that idols should not be kept in poojaroom because they acquire some kind of 'strength' and if you miss the pooja even for a day ( if you are not at home for a few days or something), its really bad. So, I've kept all my idols in the show case in the living room.
    For the same reason which you have said. SivaLinga is an idol. Also SivaLingam is originally meant to be in 'Smasaanam' (cremation/burial ground), all Siva temples are supposed to be cremation grounds or nearby/attached to them. Same reason why it is said one must sit for sometime at SivaTemples after dharshan before returning home, so that even the soil stuck to your feet is not taken home.
    Here there is no 'I'

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan

For the same reason which you have said. SivaLinga is an idol. Also SivaLingam is originally meant to be in 'Smasaanam' (cremation/burial ground), all Siva temples are supposed to be cremation grounds or nearby/attached to them. Same reason why it is said one must sit for sometime at SivaTemples after dharshan before returning home, so that even the soil stuck to your feet is not taken home.

I have never seen a Shivalingam in any one's house,

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    What? All Shiva Temples are supposed to be cremation grounds? That's news to me- I thought it was the Lord Shiva's privatepart that we are worshipping because the 16 yr old Markandeya got hold of it whem Yama came to take him? Is that the connection with the burial ground, because Yama is the God of death?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast