Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I take to U.S

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I take to U.S

Dear friends, I am going to U.S with my sis-in-laws children. They are going to stay with their mum there.
    I am from Malaysia. I would be very greatful if anyone can guide me as to what food stuffs I can take from here.
    My sis-in-law wants pineapple tarts, and garlic pickel.
    Are we allowed to take them. Please kindly help me.
    Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.
    Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I take to U.S

Quote Originally Posted by Kavitha Ravi
    Dear friends, I am going to U.S with my sis-in-laws children. They are going to stay with their mum there.
    I am from Malaysia. I would be very greatful if anyone can guide me as to what food stuffs I can take from here.
    My sis-in-law wants pineapple tarts, and garlic pickel.
    Are we allowed to take them. Please kindly help me.
    Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.
    Kavitha: Strictly no food. Food of any kind and agricultural products(fruits,flowers,plants etc) are prohibited. You are expected to declare everything when you pass through immigration/customs. People do sneak in these things. If you are caught they can impose a fine and confiscate what you carry. In most cases they(customs agents) just throw them away. Your sister in law should know.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what is shown in the movie, 'jeans'(or 'genes'?). But veteran travellers like my friend's family who have returning there for so many years are known to successfully 'smuggle' their favourite items like betel leaves & 'aattuthalai kaRi'!!!!!!! I don't know how they manage to squueze them secretively inside their bulky luggage!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding, what you can take, as the mod said, food items, especially home made pickles etc. are prohibited. However, these are invariably taken by many travellers to and residents of US. However, the possibility of your baggage being checked on arrival (especially because you are tourist) is high. If found, and you plead ignorance, the customs officer will throw away the said food item. If you are willing to lose it, then take it.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cant take pickles and stuff to US. However u can bring food items like Murukku and other which dont spoil so immediately.
    U can also bring Masala packets (Garam masala, sambar thool, rasam powder in packets.) .
    U can also bring Ready to eat Food items (Stuff like take from the packet, boil and eat kind) :P .
    Utensils like Pressure cooker and Idly cooker are available here in most Indian stores so u need not bring them here.
    and what else, I am in Philadelphia u can buy something for me too

Post Thanks / Like
    Philly-la masala powder, murukku ellaam kidaikkalaiya?

ennadhaan irundhaalumveetla senja oorukaiya thirruttuthanama anga kondupoi saapdradhula oru thani taste irukku
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez I'm surprised to know pickles arent allowed!!
    Since when hav they been banned? There r still many shops here where they pack pickles for taking abroad.......
    'guess this sure wud turn out to be a huuuuuuge disappointment for NRI Telugus! :P
    And rajraj, as for taking flowers, uh...r u not allowed to pass thru even if wearing them in ur hair (eg. mallipoo)?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Raj said, if they check your luggage and you get caught, you will lose all your stuff. Keep that in mind. If that is ok with you then you can try and "smuggle" in food stuff!

http://www.discoverabroad.com/US/Arr...mmigration.htm - here is a more detailed information on what kind of food you can carry!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lamby: generally flowers/plants are not allowed, but if you are wearing them in your hair it is ok.

Plants, flowers could carry parasites, viruses, etc. That is why they are not allowed.

Food in general and meat products in particular is not allowed in most countries because of the same reason.

I've heard that in Australia, to carry food from one region into another region you need a license.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We do get in Indian stores. But the point is U can bring a lot of them (if u can from ur home country) and use it for quite sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by MazhaiKuruvi
    Philly-la masala powder, murukku ellaam kidaikkalaiya?

ennadhaan irundhaalumveetla senja oorukaiya thirruttuthanama anga kondupoi saapdradhula oru thani taste irukku

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast