Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shankar-Ganesh

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Shankar-Ganesh

Topic started by Udhaya (@ 205.218.142.217) on Tue Jun 30 15:47:13 EDT 1998.

I personally felt that with the advent of Vairamuthu, Shankar-Ganesh put out some very decent pop songs in movies like:
    -Paalaivana Choalai
    -Kannoadu Kann
    -Sigappu Malli
    -Amma
    Even their background music got decent for some of the Raaj Bharath thrillers. When did they stop MDing films and why? Care to discuss?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Ravi (@ gree*) on: Tue Jun 30 16:35:00 EDT 1998

I seem to remember that they started fading out once they got into direction. I mean film direction not just MD-ing. . Ofocurse their film flopped (jagathalaprathaaban, *ing mohan), but I don't see why that should be a reason for them to leave the music arena.
    They probably thought that since there is a person who follows their style of music making (you know who) and is better at it than they were, they should leave the scene.

Post Thanks / Like

Srikanth (@ 161.*) on: Tue Jun 30 17:03:51 EDT 1998

Hi,
    This is what I know , I have no evidence!,
    As people say Deva's brothers lifted scores from Raja, S&G have been branded as they lift score from MSV. One of them use to visit MSV's recording and did that at a regular basis. But I dont know how far it is true. But never the less they have given very good number like Unai nan parthadu, Ponaji malai pozuthu etc..
    But As you say they were cut off in middle - I feel they might have offended MGR in someway..
    Srikanth

Post Thanks / Like

Srinath (@ sock*) on: Tue Jun 30 17:49:19 EDT 1998

Srikanth:
    Hoooooo ! The great vodooo ! Antagonizing MGR ! I remember, there used to be a time when every unsuccessful cinema artiste was accused of antagonizing MGR ! Kamal, Rajini, Jai Shankar...and now Shanker-Ganesh ! )
    I know for a fact that Shanker and Ganesh are both running Light Music Troupes, albeit separately. I hear they fell out with each other and that's why they stopped scoring music together. Moreover, Shanker was supposed to be nothing more than a PR person whilst Ganesh was supposed to be the real talent behind them (or was it the other way round ?). I cannot confirm this though. The one who's fingers were blown off in a parcel bomb (incidentally the guy who wears extremely tight white silk shirts) is supposed to be the PR guy.

Weren't these the guys who scored the music for Shimla Special (Unakkenna mele nindrai...) and the "Oru Kaadhal Devathai Bhoomiyil Vandaal" song (I forget the name of the movie, a Karthik-Ravathi starrer) ?

Prime...? I don't know if they had a 'prime' in store for them at all. Frankly, I am not too fond of what little I've heard from them.

Caustic...yeah, I know...

Post Thanks / Like

Ramaswamy Gireesan (@ m42.*) on: Tue Jun 30 17:55:06 EDT 199

Srinath,

the MD for Simla Special was MSV. As far as I can remember, the last film for which S-G directed the music was 'samsaaram adhu minsaaram'.

Regards

G.Ramaswamy

Post Thanks / Like

Arun Prakash (@ 1cus*) on: Tue Jun 30 17:56:05 EDT 1998

Folks FYI, Shankar Ganesh were not so less talented to lift the scores from MSV. Of the both Shankar was really talented since he was the brother of music maestro "Sri C.R.Subbraman" of "chinna Chiru kiliye" fame. Even Ganesh was very much talented in rhythm programming.

Who can forget "Naan Onnai Nenaichen" from "Kaanil Theriyum Kathaigal" sung by the incredible BALU and Vani. Naan Padum Paadal from Naan En Pirendhen sung by TMS.Due to some personal reasons they split.

Arun Prakash.

Post Thanks / Like

Srinath (@ sock*) on: Tue Jun 30 18:28:32 EDT 1998

Arun Prakash:
    So, is Ganesh the one who wears the tight clothes (I know that one of them does because, he attended a function in my college and even before he arrived the guys were speaking about his clothes !) ?

I think Ganesh also did a cameo as a drunk truck driver in one song in some movie. I saw it in some DD program (interview). Perhaps they got distracted from their true calling and lost focus. That might be why they faded away from the TFM scene. Also the 'guy with the tight white silk shirts' does not enjoy a good reputation among LM circles. A loss of credibility might be another reason why they had to leave TFM.

Note:
    Most of what I have said here is hear-say. I do not claim any of them as facts (except for the tight white silk shirt...that was a 'close encounter of the third kind' ). Also I am not sure which one is Shanker and which one is Ganesh. So if I have inadvertently hurt someone's feelings, kindly excuse me !

Post Thanks / Like

Ramki (@ pm06*) on: Tue Jun 30 18:44:23 EDT 1998

last film for Shankar and Ganesh together is 'Manidhan maarivittan'(*ing Mohan,Chitra)

Ganesh did music for 'sannidhi pookkal'(it was released in 1995)and had couple of decents songs by Unni menon.

Post Thanks / Like

Udhaya (@ 205.*) on: Tue Jun 30 19:06:33 EDT 1998

Thanks for all the interesting info on the dynamic duo, if I may use the term. Srinath, the tight shirted one is Ganesh. Interesting to know of Shankar's musical lineage, nandri, Arun Prakash. My personal feeling is that S-G were coasting by the TFM scene just doing B movies and making enough money to stay on the scene. But whenever someone took them seriously and worked their butts, these two delivered. Remember all the Dhevar movies that they gave hits for like Aattukkaara Alamelu, Thayillamal Naanillai, Sorgam Naragam, etc.
    There were several odd gems like Neeya, Kanniparuvathilae, Ucchakkattam, Vandichakkaram, Sollathae Yaarum Kaettal, and Ennadi Meenatchi. Srinath, I seriously believe they were working hard, doing well and hence in their prime, perhaps a little too late, to save their place during the early 80s--the IR Juggernaut years. Of course, it was also IR's prime so everyone else was blown to smithereens. Too bad about their demise though. I hope Shankar continues his career alone, maybe he will reach new heights without Ganesh.

Post Thanks / Like

Pagalavan (@ bbn-*) on: Tue Jun 30 20:37:05 EDT 1998

Udhaya

Few years back Ganesh was hurt (by a letter bomb or something) and was hospitalized for a long time. It was at that time Shankar independently did music for thirumathi oru vegumathi (under both S&G's name), especially the hit song vaLarpiRai enbathum thEypiRai enbathum by KJJ. After Ganesh fully recovered, he mentioned this with his gratitude to Shankar. Despite all this, something happened and they got separated.

Other films with their good music are : kaNNOdu kaNN (remember alai alaiyAga..) and enga cinna rAsA etc.,

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast