Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories of Dr Rajkumar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Memories of Dr Rajkumar

Dr. RajKumar (ಡಾ. ರಾಜ್ಕುಮಾರ್) was the most popular actor in Kannada Film Industry.

Real name....Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Muthuraju (ಸಿಂಗನಲ್ಲೂರು ಪುಟ್ಟಸ್ವಾಮಯ್ಯ ಮುತ್ತುರಾಜು)

Period....April-24,1928 to April-12,2006

He is Dr.Raj or Natasaarvabhouma or Annaavru (ಅಣ್ಣಾವ್ರು) to millions of his fans. He was also called as JOHN WAYNE od South Indian Cinema. He acted in more than 200 kannada movies in a carreer spannin over five decades. Most of his movies were epic films in Kannada Film industry.

He was also a well-known Singer. His voice is referred to KOGILE KANTA.

Dr. Raj is the only Indian actor who has recieved national award for both acting and singing.

Dr.Raj was also one of the most versatile actors in Indian cinema. His character depictions ranged from comedy to action, from lover boy to double/triple roles, from mythological characters to portrayal of modern day social causes.

In his lifetime, Dr.Raj acted in 206 movies (excluding guest appearances). He owned a film production company called Vajreshwari production, which produced films under the banner of Dakshayani Combines.
    Bhaagyadha Baagilu was his 100th movie...
    Devatha Manushya was his 200th movie...
    Two of his most famous performances were in his own productions...Kaviratna Kaalidaasa and Shankar-Guru.

Almost all his films were super hits. Some of the memorable films are.....
    Adhe Kannu, Na Ninna Mareyalare, Hosa Belakhu, Thayige Takka Maga,Shravana Banthu,Bedara Kannappa, Bangarada Manushya, Kastoori Nivasa, Sri Krishnadevaraya, Kula Gowrava, Gandhada Gudi, Sampathige Sawal, Shankar-Guru, Babruvahana, Bhakta Prahalada, Halu Jenu, Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma, Jeevana Chaitra, Akasmika, Premada Kanike, Vasantha Geetha, Apoorva Sangama, Daari Tappida Maga, Badavara Bandhu, Yeradu Kanasu, Mayura, Bangaradha Panjara, Havina Hede, Anuraga Aralithu, Jedara Bale, Shruti Seridaga, "Sanaadi Apanna", "Babruvahana", "Chalisuva Modagalu", "Guri", "Parashuram", "Devathaa Manushya" (his 200th film), "Huliya Haalina Mevu", "Kavirathna Kalidasa" etc. His last movie was 'Shabdevedi' along with Jayaprada, which showed Raj revolting against drug dealers....

and a lot more....

This thread is dedicated to annaavru....

Let us share our memories about his film carreer that we have.....
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Rajkumar, who passed away in Bangalore on April 12, was indeed a colossus of an actor of the Kannada filmdom. I think he has more reasons than one to enter into the world book of records, the Guinness Book, for acting in over 200 films that were all hits. And so also the songs he sang.

Many have paid handsome tributes to Rajkumar, who was a legend in his own lifetime. One of the best tributes I read in newspapers came from the veteran journalist and renowned author T. J. S. George in The New Indian Express.

In a few sentences, George, known for his brevity of expression, was quite eloquent in eulogizing the great qualities of Rajkumar, both as a genius in acting and as a good human being. If the saying that “one cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a good human being” is true, then in the case of Rajkumar it can be said, “he was always a hero as well as a good human being”.

George says, while film stars, by definition, are showmen and their trademarks are flamboyance, conspicuous consumption, tantrums and braggadocio, these were the characteristics, completely and conspicuously absent in Dr. Raj. In his daily life, he never dressed in anything showier than a white shirt and a white dhothi. "Given his iconic status, his humility was embarrassing to those who met him," says George.

I have never met Rajkumar personally, though I have seen him twice on the stage — once in Madikeri, Kodagu, in the mid - 50s and another time in Mysore some years ago at the Dasara Exhibition Grounds at a musical night. Of course, I have met his wife and soul mate Parvathamma Rajkumar a couple of times in Mysore, and found her graceful and full of humility like her famous husband in personal conversation.

From what I have heard, Rajkumar seems to be an epitome and cornucopia of humility — humility had indeed personified itself in the person of Dr. Raj. I would like to give just two instances to substantiate this view as told by my friends.

It seems, Dr. Raj was once given the award by the Central Government as the best actor, while in the same year Kannada film actor Ambarish was given the award as the best villain. Ambarish had gone to receive the award with his mother and had occupied his seat. Soon, Dr. Raj entered the hall and Ambarish's mother asked him to go and meet Dr. Raj, congratulate him and take his blessings.

Ambarish, however, did not listen to his mother. In a few minutes, Dr. Raj, seeing Ambarish, walked upto him and profusely congratulated him thus embarrassing both Ambarish and his mother, who was also angry with her son for not listening to her. Indeed, as George says, this was one example of Dr. Raj's humility that was embarrassing to those who met him — in this case Ambarish and his mother.

In another case, the well - known Ganjifa artist, Ganjifa Raghupathi Bhat, who is a resident of our city enriching its cultural scene, went to Dharamasthala, a pilgrimage centre in Dakshina Kannada, along with his aged mother. He was walking along with his mother and Dharamasthala Dharmadhikari Veerendra Heggade's brother Surendra Kumar Heggade in the temple forecourt. In the same area, they saw Dr. Raj who had come there soon after he was released by the forest brigand Veerappan who had kidnapped him. Krishna Singh, an aide of Veerendra Heggade, who was with Dr. Raj, had apparently mentioned of Ganjifa artist's presence in the same premises.

Before Raghupathi Bhat could know what was happening, Dr. Raj had walked up to them and touched the feet of Bhat's aged mother seeking her blessings and enquiring of her health. This, even though Dr. Raj had not met his mother anytime before. Probably, Dr. Raj, as a true artist, was intuitively induced to seek the blessings of another artist's mother. Bhat's mother, who lives with him, remembers that moment with prayers on her lips even today. One more example of Dr. Raj's humility.

Of course, Dr. Raj had heard the name of Ganjifa artist Bhat and had even met him once in Udupi about 15 years earlier along with the then Editor of Kannada magazine Tharanga, Santhosh Kumar Gulwadi. According to Bhat, he had given to Gulwadi an exquisite miniature Ganjifa painting of Lord Ganapathy made out of sandalwood paste. At that time, Gulwadi was keeping that in his pocket and when he met Dr. Raj, he gifted him the painting saying it was a work of his friend Ganjifa artist Bhat. Dr. Raj received it with great religious fervour and told them that he valued the gift very much and would always keep it with him.

I have mentioned earlier of my seeing Dr. Raj on stage in Madikeri. At that time, he must have been in his late 20s, about 27 or 30 years old in age. I remember even today, seeing the drama Muthina Haara at the Madikeri Town Hall, which was newly built at that time.

From those days to the present, Dr. Raj has traversed a glorious period in his life, except probably for that one incident of kidnapping. Even here, it must be said to his credit of his inner courage to withstand the ordeal like a Tapasvi. Even that Angulimalalike Veerappan had to surrender to a Buddha - like Rajkumar and give him his freedom without harming.

We know of a famous spiritual saying in Kannada: Sharanaranna Maranadalli Nodu. Indeed, the way his end came suggests that Dr. Raj was indeed a sharana. May his soul rest in peace and may his personal life, become a model for all those whom he has left behind

credit goes to the original writer...
    Seven social sins:
    2.Wealth without work

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    a thread for rajkumar........... personally i'm not a great fan of him...........i like some of his movies..........and he's a nice person.............

sarna indha hub la poi rajkumar ku thread open pannareengalea totallly wrong place :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibha
    a thread for rajkumar........... personally i'm not a great fan of him...........i like some of his movies..........and he's a nice person.............

sarna indha hub la poi rajkumar ku thread open pannareengalea totallly wrong place :P
    puriyala---can u pls move it to proper place
    Seven social sins:
    2.Wealth without work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sarna_blr

ennavida appavi ya irukealea

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthi

paavam avaru ippo thalaiya odachindirupaaru

Post Thanks / Like

Wibha...nee appaaviya......never.......

Ammaaaaavi'nu sonna oppukollalaam.....

By the by I love Raj Kumar,
    He is one of my favourite actor......
    Then Rajini.....Now Ajith........

Had u seen GANDHADHA GUDI......wt an amzing performance by annaavru......

One of my favourite song....

Naavaaduva nudiyo kannada nudi
    Naaviruva gudi ghandhadha gudi....siri kannada nudi

Meaning...naam pesum mozhi kannada...naamirukkum veedu sandhana veedu....
    Seven social sins:
    2.Wealth without work

Post Thanks / Like

Wibha...nee appaaviya......never.......

Ammaaaaavi'nu sonna oppukollalaam.....

By the by I love Raj Kumar,
    He is one of my favourite actor......
    Then Rajini.....Now Ajith........

Had u seen GANDHADHA GUDI......wt an amzing performance by annaavru......

One of my favourite song....

Naavaaduva nudiyo kannada nudi
    Naaviruva gudi ghandhadha gudi....siri kannada nudi

Meaning...naam pesum mozhi kannada...naamirukkum veedu sandhana veedu....
    enna oru mokkai

ya i like that song too

i've seen many of his movies

gandhadha gudi,kavirathna kalidasa, halu jenu, bhagyadha lakshmi baramma and many others..............

but personally i prefer vishnuvardhan over him

sarna i meant indha threadla namba rendu perum thavara yaarum vara maata

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    en naan erukEn

appa appa vandhu padikarEn
    illati sarna will and cry one is reading my posts
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast