Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories Of Greatest Cricketers - - #8 Shane Warne

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puliyan_Biryani
    Warne is the best captain Australia never had. One particular incident comes to my mind.

Ponting was making a comeback after a 3 match ban for a drinking incident. Warne was captain for the ODI series at that time. In every match, Warne would give Ponting a few overs to bowl even though he was not too renowned for his bowling. When Warne was questioned on the logic behind giving a bowl to Ponting, he said: "I gave him a bowl just to make him feel part of the game. If he is fielding in the boundary, he is going to get heckled for his drinking incident. Instead it is better if he has a bowl and focuses only on the game." Warnie
    Yes, IMO he should have been the captain after Waugh. Would have been a great captain.
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber satissh_r's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enter Warne. He had a killer flipper those days which is almost unplayable for lower order batsman. His flipper to Bishop . Warne picked up 3 wickets in his 3 overs and Aus could sense victory. Ambrose and Walsh duly obliged to give Aussies the win.

Interesting tidbit: Richardson hit a full-blooded sweep shot which hit the hat of square leg umpire. Instead of getting 4 runs he got only 1 and lost the strike as well. What might have been
    Yeah, Warne alone could have won this match for Australia. I remember him giving a torrid time to Jimmy Adams and Ottis Gibson in this match and the tri series that was played in Australia. His flippers and zooters were lethal because he used it wisely, by that I mean he never over used it
    Patience, Forgiveness and Understanding are great tools for humanity...! Spread the Love - A R Rahman

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya_1979
    Yes, IMO he should have been the captain after Waugh. Would have been a great captain.
    His personal issues were a bit too much to ignore. That was the prime reason why he was not given captaincy. With his attacking mindset, he would've made a great captain. IPL-a paathu manasai thethikka vendiyadhudhaan.

//Police police. ivaru black-la ticket vikkaraaru. arrest pannunga //

Post Thanks / Like
    //Police police. ivaru black-la ticket vikkaraaru. arrest pannunga //
    First naan enakku mattum book senjEn. Then I did for whole family. Andha oru ticket cancel seiyya mudeela (ticketnew.com). adhaan trying to sell. enakku 95 kedachaa pOdhum 11 Rs Service Tax is waived, as a special offer for hubbers
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rudi Koertzen - Warne a class apart.

"I have always admired fast bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Allan Donald but the bowler who stands out is Shane Warne. He used to get the best out of the umpires by putting a lot of pressure on them. On numerous occasions he bowled from my end and I have always found him testing my decision-making. Like every umpire, I had to concentrate extremely hard when he was bowling because he had so much variety and variation that every ball he bowled was potentially a wicket-taking delivery."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satissh_r
    Yeah, Warne alone could have won this match for Australia. I remember him giving a torrid time to Jimmy Adams and Ottis Gibson in this match and the tri series that was played in Australia. His flippers and zooters were lethal because he used it wisely, by that I mean he never over used it
    It is a lesson to all young spinners. To keep the batsman guessing on when the variation will arrive.

Another interesting point Warne always says is: "Bowling for the non-striker to see". He usually bowls a very big leg-break at the beginning of the over so that both striker and non-striker can see that he has that weapon (ore kallula rendu maanga). He would lure them to play for the leg spin, but the ball would be a straighter one and he would get an lbw .

Post Thanks / Like
    More than his exploits against Eng / SA who are traditional suspects against spin, his bowling which enabled Aus to win in SL (IIRC 1993-94 season) is a greater achievement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always will remember him as a bowler who was taken apart by Sachin..
    aaniyae pudunga venaam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya_1979
    More than his exploits against Eng / SA who are traditional suspects against spin, his bowling which enabled Aus to win in SL (IIRC 1993-94 season) is a greater achievement.
    When he was making a comeback in 2004, he was selected as a second spinner behind MacGill for the SL test series. So Warne was battling MacGill from his own side and comparison with Murali on other side.

Warne ended the 3 test series with 26 wickets (just 1 behind Murali IIRC). Aus won the series 3-0. MacGill was again relegated to Warne's understudy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh84
    I always will remember him as a bowler who was taken apart by Sachin..
    ennadaa 2 naal aachu, innum varalaiye-nu paathen . No doubt Sachin has come out on top on most of their contests. But there is more to Warne than just his contest against Sachin, tabloid headlines and scandals. Just attempting to throw some light on his magic, self-confidence and genius.

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast