Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18. MAATHA UN KOVILIL

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Manisekaran (@ 61.6*) on: Mon Dec 13 19:34:33 EST 2004

18. MAATHA UN KOVILILE

An unprecedented event took place in the history of Tamil films songs, and that has been very close to the heart of Ilayaraja. When Ilayaraja composed music for any song, he paid much attention to the singers that he selected. As he entered the cine field, he had concluded to use singers like P. Suseela, S. Janaki, SP Bala, Jesudass and Malaysia Vasudevan. He was right, as these were the singers who brought out the best of Ilayaraja’s imagination. The female singer who was able to capture and reproduce the imagination of Raja to almost perfection was S. Janaki.

While composing the song MAATHA UN KOVILILE in Mahalakshmi Coimboines
    ACHAANI, something unexpected took place. The song was practiced once and the next was to be the final take. The band was ready, and as soon as the cue was given they started to play the prelude. Things went well. Then S. Janaki started to sing. As soon as she went into the first charanam, the melody went haywire and the tune was off tangent. Then all of a sudden the musicians stopped playing. S. Janaki was blinking in shock. Raja was furious! They wanted to know what went wrong. From the recording room, he enquired as to why they all had stopped playing the music. As Raja approached the musicians, he was informed that they were completely mesmerised by the golden and most enchanting voice of Janaki that they forgot themselves and finally forgot the tune as well. Raja just smiled at S. Janaki and she very politely smiled with acknowledgement. This time they were set to record again. In the second recording all of them- S. Janaki and the musicians went one more scale higher to do a better job!. That song became a super hit.

(Such an event had never taken place in the history of the Tamil films. It was only in Samboorna Ramayana an event quite similar to this did take place. When CS Jayaraman was singing the song “INRU PI NAALAI VAARAAI” the sound engineer was completely at loss with the beauty of the tune and the emotional presentation of the singer, that he forgot to switch off the engine even seconds after the singing was over.)

Listen to 'maadha un kovilil'
    I have three songs where S. Janaki is simply at her best. Violin and Veena seem to blend almost perfectly well in this great song. It seems Ilayaraja himself had taken a liking for this song. One may also remember that Raja had composed few songs on Christian theme and this is about the best, along with Devanin Thiruchabai Malarkal in Avar Enakke Sontham. Apart from the above, PAADAVAA UN PPADALAI from Naan Paadum Paadal was an excellent piece. The other is KATRIL ENTHAN GEETHAM from Johnny. We booked a female singer to sing the Johnny Song. She did well at the rehearsal, but could not perform on the actual day, as she admitted that the song is indeed and impossible piece for singer, let alone newcomers.

My personal opinion is that Kaatril Enthan Keetham is still a better song. So I chose this song for the show. I find three elements contribute to the success of the song- the musical works, meaning the tune, the background music which is simply and exceedingly haunting, and the full emotions with which S. Janaki sang this song. After the song Singara Velane Deva in Konjum Salangai, this song, I believe must have been the most difficult for Janaki. Again it is my opinion that S. Janaki was the most appropriate choice for this song. Johny shall always be remembered for this song. The song is a crowning glory for the movie.

As the rehearsal was on, I was mesmerised and this time I forgot myself- honestly. It is such masterpieces that have made Raja an immortal figure in the arena of Tamil film music. My question is who gets the credit for the super performance of the song- Raja or Janaki. It is quite difficult to divide the credit. I see it as a perfect combination of a team effort.

I hope TFM Team could provide all the three songs.

Kaatril enthan geetham
    kANAtha ondrai theduthey (2)
    Alai poley .. ninaivaaga
    chillendru veesum maalai neyra
    (Kaatril)

Engengum inbam adhu kolam poda
    EnnuLLa veenai oru raagam theyda
    AnbuLLa nenjai kANAtho
    Aanantha RAgam pAdAtho
    Kangal Yengum
    Nenjin sogam .. MEylum yEtrum (Kaatril)

Nillendru sonnal manam nindral podhum
    Neengatha nenjil Alai Oyinthaal podhum
    Mounaththin RAgam kELAtho ..
    Mounaththin ThALam podatho ..
    Vazhum kAlam yavum ingey nenjam ThEdum
    (Katril)

Listen to 'kaatril endhan geetham'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

kiru (@ 192.*) on: Mon Dec 13 20:20:32 EST 2004

Mani sir,
    who is the lyricist for 'maadha un kovil'. This song really rends your heart when Janaki 'thaayendru unnaith thaan piLLaikku kaattinEn'. There are not that many songs in which people are emotionally/personally involved with Divine figures (somebody post if they know better, this is an interesting cultural phenomenon). The only other song that comes to my mind is KVM's gangai karai thOttam ..though less serious, but equally moving considering the helplessness of a lovestruck woman with Lord Krishna.

Post Thanks / Like

Bala (@ 68.3*) on: Mon Dec 13 20:51:54 EST 2004

Mani Sir

Thanks for the write up

Madha un Koyilil is by 'Vaali'

Bala

Post Thanks / Like

MumbaiRamki (@ 63.1*) on: Mon Dec 13 21:20:11 EST 2004

Maatha un kovillale -entha padam sir ??

Post Thanks / Like

manisekaran (@ 61.6*) on: Mon Dec 13 21:28:13 EST 2004

Mumbai Ramki

maatha Un Kovilile in ACHAANI

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ 192.*) on: Mon Dec 13 21:37:00 EST 2004

I can't seem to locate 'paadava un paadalai' in my collection. If anyone has an .mp3, pls send it to rrprivate-tfm at yahoo dot com. The other two are up.

Post Thanks / Like

jeeves (@ 203.*) on: Mon Dec 13 23:27:28 EST 2004

Naan Paadum Paadal - Paadava Un Paadalai is available here
    http://web.music.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=102225

Post Thanks / Like

Manisekaran (@ 61.6*) on: Mon Dec 13 23:31:31 EST 2004

jeeves

Thank you so much. Now the list is complete.

manisekaran

Post Thanks / Like

Ras (@ 194.*) on: Tue Dec 14 05:35:43 EST 2004

Manisekaran,
    Thanks. These three are definitely great numbers, especially "Maatha Un Kovilil" and "Kaartil Endan Geetham". However amongst the many real complex songs composed by IR and rendered excellently by Janaki, I would rate "Pon Vaanam Panneer Thoovudu Inneram" from "Indru Nee Naalai Naan" (forget the pathetic picturisation of the song showing the widowed Lakshmi dancing in the rain in 'viraga daapam', with Sivakumar doing his trademark senseless, distorted, facial expressions, again trying to portray his version of viraga daapam) and "Sangeethame En Jeevane" from Kovil Pura as very important numbers that appeal to both the lay person and the technically-tuned listener. In my opinion, not many singers (amateur or professional) can do justice to these songs.

I'm not sure if these do feature in your pick, but thought I'd highlight them nevertheless.

Post Thanks / Like

M Madhanraj (@ 82.1*) on: Tue Dec 14 05:42:04 EST 2004

Adding to the Listing of Ras
    'AZHAGU MALAR AADA , ABHINAYANGAL KOODA ...'
    from VAIDHEHI KATHIRUNTHAAL.

Manisekaran, Also I remember faintly, SONG 'MAATHA UN KOVILIL' brought IR and Kannadasan more close. Also I remember that BELL sound in this song has some story. While recording IR created some news about this BELL. If somebody knows, pls throw some light on this matter.

Regards

M Madhanraj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast