Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuala Lumpur Experiences

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FOOD

Vegetarian Food is easily available in most parts of Kuala Lumpur. If you do not mind restaurants that serve both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, then the choices are really aplenty.

However fast food outlets like KFC, McDonalds, etc DO NOT have specific vegetarian meals, unlike in some western countries.

If you are strictly vegetarian and will not be comfortable in places selling non vegetarian food, you still do not have to go hungry. You have the following places to go:

Saravana Bhavan at Bangsar, Masjid India and Petaling Jaya
    Bakthi Woodlands at Leboh Ampang
    Lakshmi Vilas at Leboh Ampang
    Madras New Woodlands at Bangsar
    Gandhi's at Brickfields
    Chaat Masala at Brickifields
    Annalakshmi in Sri Hartamas
    Govindas in Masjid India
    Radhe's in Old Klang Road
    Sanskrit in Subang Jaya

and many more. Just google.

There are many Chinese vegetarian restaurants too, but they serve mock meat, ie food made to look like and prepared like non-vegetarian. If you want to be adventurous, seek out:

Amata Vegetarian Restaurant
    Bamboo Vegetarian Court
    Cameleon Vegetarian Restoran
    De Health Paradise Organic
    Fai Cai Xiang Vegetarian Restaurant
    Kuan Fatt Vegetarian Restaurant
    Mahligai Vegetarian Restaurant
    Mamitas Vegetarian Food
    Nature's Vegetarian Restaurant
    Pinewind Vegetarian Restaurant Sdn Bhd

and more.

If you are not particular, then there are Indian restaurants at every nook and corner of Kuala Lumpur, serving thOsai, idli, poori, parotta, chappathi, vadai, uppumaa, etc for breakfast, and banana leaf lunches and dinners.

Recommended are:

Thalapakkatti Briyani in Sentul
    Rajus in Petaling Jaya
    Many restaurants in Brickfields (Little India)
    Nirvana Maju in Bangsar & Subang Jaya
    Devis Corner in Bangsar and Sri Hartamas
    Chettinad in Bangsar

and many more :P

Besides the above, there are also upscale restaurants serving Indian food such as The Taj, Bangles, Bombay Palace, Bharaths, Passage Thru India
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Visited KL a couple of years back with my parents.
    I had a great time, thanks largely to NOV's good guidance and great company.

Singapore and Malaysia are probably the ideal places to take South Indians to. Particularly, those, who would like to travel abroad but are hesitant to be too experimental about culture, food etc,

Traditional attractions like the KL Tower (which I saw) and Petronas (which I didn't because a cab driver dumped us ) are lovely. The view of the city from the KL tower is not to be missed.

But do take a tour of the city, the markets, the lovely Merdeka Square with the huge flagpole, the city museum, the river running unobtrusively through the city etc. This way when you are up there you will enjoy the view more.

First time visitors from India would also notice the way the highways and city's (apparently) arterial roads are layer upon layer upon layer. Chennai was going to do something of that sort and got berated by the International Transporation authority and asked to invest more in public transport.

If you are the shopping freak there's a tonne of places. From high end malls, to enormously large discount stores, to street shopping districts. And as I've sounded like a brochure thus far let me complete it by saying - you can get your tired soles massaged back to life with the reflexology massage centers which seem to be everywhere.

For those who are particular about vegetarian food, there are lots of Vegetarian stuff like: Mee Goreng (first time I've ever heard noodles served on banana leaf!), Roti Canai.

Teh-tahrik is the popular version of tea in Malaysia. More dilute and sweeter. Unlike SIndian thimblefulls it is served in mugs! Yours truly had about 4-5 straight till groucho tapped me on the shoulder and said: you do realize, this is not beer, right?

Went to a pub (Asoka, was it NOV?) where they disapprove of eardrums. The music was 80-90s TFM ! (which is at best played as occasional thukkada pieces at home). They had live performers lip-synching to the songs imitating actors. It was a curious mix of college show type performers in a disc!

The star attraction though is the murugan temple in Batu caves. Must say the huge statue - impressive as it is - has kind of stolen the thunder from the real beauty, which is the cave itself.

You walk up the stairway to heaven, and after greviously injuring your lung and making those fake fitness regieme promises you enter the caves. Quite well preserved, for the amount of people who throng there, its pleasant chill, the moistness in the air, the dripping stalactites (or is it stalagmites, I will never get this right) are a lovely treat.

Putra Jeya - a planned city which was built as the admin HQ for the government is an hour away from KL. The scale and finish of the buildings are attractive. Particularly the Putra mosque (apparently modeled after the main mosque in Baghdad, which is apparently one of the largest in the world).

We went on a boat ride across the river there. There are about half a dozen bridges. Each one styled after a famous bridge in the world. So it is like jampacking a whirlwind world tour in 30 mins !

Malaysia is lot more pocket friendly than Singapore. You can rent a cab for a day to go around, eat and pretty good places and shop and generally have fun and you will not be drilling a hole in your pocket.

Have fun :thumsup:
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent PR

The view from the visitor is defintely an eye-opener as compared with one who is living there.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Food (cont'd)

While in Malaysia, do try some local food, as Malaysia is known to be a food paradise with Indian, Chinese, Malay & Western food easily available. There are others too like Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, French, German, Mexican, Italian, etc.

Roti Canai

The king of all food in Malaysia is the Roti Canai, aka as Parotta in India, and Pratta in Singapore.
    It is available and eaten for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, supper and any time in between.

Unlike in India, Roti Canai is served with Dhall/Sambar/Fish curry/Sambal and not salna. No one here knows what salna is

[html:eecd2a39fb]

[/html:eecd2a39fb]

There are several kinds of rotis available

Plain roti
    Roti telur - egg roti
    Roti bawang - onion roti
    Roti pisang - banana roti
    Roti tissue - crispy roti (with a dash of condensed milk)
    Roti sardine - roti filled with sardine, onions and egg
    Murtabak - roti filled with meat/chicken, egg, onion & masala
    & many more!

Mee Goreng

This is a yellow noodle dish made Indian style. (BTW, you get fresh noodles here unlike Maggi dried noodles). This is a strange contation of Indian, Chinese and Western - with chilly and tomato sauce.

You can also ask for a vegetarian version.

Nasi Lemak

This is the national dish of Malaysia - rice cooked in coconut milk and served with sambal, anchovies, egg and peanuts.
    One of the favourites for breakfast, you can get a vegetarian version is some Indian restaurants.

Chicken Rice

A lunch rime favourite, this dish consists of rice cooked in chicken soup and served with chicken slices and chicken soup.

Satay

Skewers of meat roasted over charcoal fire and served with delicious peanut sauce.

There are many more dishes that you should enjoy, but bear in mind that the Chinese food you get here is the real thing and not the Indianised version of India. (Anything cooked with aji no moto and pepper is considered chinese there - my eyeballs almost popped out when I saw chinese fried rice made with basmati, in India!)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent info, Nov bro..

Ippo Murtabakukku naan adimai..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    P_R
    asaiya thundreenga...poganum poladhan irukku
    Say My Name

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber AudazJay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the food looks tempting even to a local like me

Additional info on Satay- for the best Satay, Kajang is the place to go! I've tried eating satay in a number of places in KL and Penang, but nothing comes close to the ones in Kajang
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber suvai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    omg nov ngov....fancy food items for lunch & breakfast....roti canai kooda....i see saambar...what are the rest of the two in that plate nga? i like that long list of the roti available with also...bananaa.....condensed milk...(i have had that one before)
    very interesting information....i read & made some mental notes too

what is that murbaktantan something

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ajay

suvai,

Roti Canai is served with Dhall/Sambar/Fish curry/Sambal
    Murtabak - roti filled with meat/chicken, egg, onion & masala

[html:9b5e97f7b5]

[/html:9b5e97f7b5]

Senior Member Veteran Hubber suvai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank u nga nov....for the visual effects
    it sure is tempting....

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast