Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Specific Problems/Issues

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR
    Thanks all for the support. We are planning to trim the database to reduce the load and hence speed up the access. But don't worry, we are not going to completely delete all old threads. Posts from good/memorable threads will be archived and kept open for access anytime. However, your post count will drop. Can't help it, sorry!
    Yes. Appreciable decision.

Unnecessary Arattais... Unpleasant comments... Dry Arguments... Unpalatable criticisms of delicacies... Prestige-issue Attacks and Counter-Attacks personally..

... are presently occupying substantial space...

If they are deleted ...not only it can save a good amount of our Hub space for the future...

...but also can result in Residual VALUABLE reading materials of interest...

...without any future necessity for wading through the unwanted dry stuff... to pick up just one worthy grain buried in the midst.

Only the worthwhile postings deserving for Archives... may be retained and stored for future reference for any Hubbers... especially the newcomers.

Pertaining to the Forum... You are at FULL LIBERTY to discern and decide which are the worthy stuff for the Archive...

...and which ones deserve to be deleted.

Consequently... let us resume with a clean slate... ensuring better performance in future.

Thanks Mr. RR for your HEALTHY APPROACH in our mutual interests.

Sudhaama.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    SP,

Just follow these steps:
    1. On any thread, click the 'Printer' icon on top right (at the of the posts). Now you are in Lite view.
    2. Click on 'Full Thread'. Now you can view ALL posts of the thread.

No more flipping thru pages.
    thanks again RR
    "அன்பே சிவம்.

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aanaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    RR, admins,

A humble suggestion!

Many hubbers have problem locating a SPECIFIC page in a thread. (say a page inbetween the whole bunch of pages)

If we can have

go to (then page number box as input) (then click button)

this way they can go to the required page without much waste of time.
    RR
    same concern
    same!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the support. We are planning to trim the database to reduce the load and hence speed up the access. But don't worry, we are not going to completely delete all old threads. Posts from good/memorable threads will be archived and kept open for access anytime. However, your post count will drop. Can't help it, sorry!
    I agree. I'm not sure which SQL implementation the server uses, but some of them have a known issue with handling large databases of the format which phpBB uses. There are tweaks you can use to make it work better, but it really requires an expert knowledge of PHP and mySQL.
    If I may make a few suggestions:
    • Reduce the maximum thread size drastically - instead of trimming the serial threads (Coffee corner, pattukku pattu) when they reach 100 pages, trim them when they reach 50 pages (I'd suggest 30 pages, but CC sometimes does more than that in a single afternoon!

• Archive mercilessly. Any thread which hasn't been replied to in three months (or even four weeks) should be kicked to the archive.

• Maintain a text-only archive. What I'm suggesting is, in effect, to save the "lite view" page for a topic that's going to be archived as an html file, upload it to the server in a special archives directory (for example, http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/attam/), and maintain a manual index of archived threads there, for example at http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/attam/index.html. Since we're using google to search the site anyway, a search will automatically include anything in the archive. And it will really drastically reduce the database size.

Just a few thoughts which, I think, will ensure we have a lean, mean database most of the time. If you need extra hands to actually do any of this, I'm very happy to volunteer my time. The hub has been giving me great pleasure for over six years now, so I have plenty to pay back.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    very much mister podalangai. your suggestions are
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear RR,

On your Guidelines... I will be happy to share with your burden of task to Edit the old postings... if you can permit me.

My residing at USA West coast can help me by way of timing.

Sudhaama.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    podalangai,

Thanks for your constructive suggestions. In fact we've already been working on some of them, e.g. the lite html pages are already being dumped into forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/archives . But yes we would need some help in the process. Will get in touch with you.

As for MySQL, we are still using ver 4.* as phpBB2 has some incompatibility issues with ver 5. When we upgrade to phpbb3, we'll move on to mysql5 as well, and things should be much faster. But, db trimming will continue to be our plan for the longer term.

Sudhaama,

Thanks for your willingness to help too. Will keep it in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    . Hub Access Problem.!!

Dear RR,

I find MUCH IMPROVEMENT now, as I observe from USA West coast.. Thanks a lot.

Sudhaama

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inayathalathil indru miga elithaaha neenthichella mudigirathae!
    Idarpaadugal neengivittathaa?
    Idayoorugal ahandruvittathaa?
    RR avargaluku Nandri!
    sivaramakrishnanG

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    You sometimes get a "No posts exist for this topic" message when you click on the link that is supposed to take you to the latest post in a thread.
    We've done some fixes today. Let me know if you are still getting it.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast