Thread: amazing facts

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    DS,

just got the link.. here it is..

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/v...?p=59213#59213

Enjoy!
    Can't play it...Don't have PowerPoint so may that be the reason ?
    "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." Albert Einstein.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    A chicken once had its head cut off and survived for over eighteen months, headless.

India has a Bill of Rights for cows. ...Is that true?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are a Harry Potter fan, here are the reasons to feel proud of-

If all Harry Potter books ever sold were placed end to end, they would go around the equator 1.4 times.

If all the Harry Potter books ever sold were laid flat, they would cover the area of about 1000 football pitches. Or they could be used to carpet Monaco 3.7 times.

On its first day of sale in the UK, Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix sold at a rate of 21 books per second. If all those books sold in the UK in the first day were stacked up the pile would be 12 times higher than Mount Everest.

If one person were to read every Harry Potter book ever sold - at a rate of one per day - it would take them over 700,000 years to do so.

The total number of Harry Potter books ever sold is more than the populations of Britain, France, Germany and Italy combined.
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting information found in this week’s Tamil weekly, “Ananda Vikadan”: In Sujatha’s column, “KaRRathum peRRathum” he has quoted his friend’s words about Douglas Adams, a science fiction writer. According to Adams there are 4 “sand ages” in modern science just as there were stone age, bronze age & iron age. I’ll give the news in Tamil first and then its translation:

Ó¾ø Á½ø Ô¸ò¾¢ø, Á½¨Ä ÁÉ¢¾ý ¯Õ츢, ¸ñ½¡Ê ¦ºöÐ, ¦ÄýŠ ¦ºöÐ, ¦¼ÄŠ§¸¡ô ¸ñÎÀ¢Êò¾§À¡Ð, Å¡É¢ø ¸¢Ã¸í¸¨ÇÔõ ¿ðºò¾¢Ãí¸¨ÇÔõ À¡÷ì¸ ÃõÀ¢ò¾¡ý. «¾¢Ä¢ÕóÐ ¿Å£É ¸¡ŠÁ¡Äƒ¢ ÐÅí¸¢ÂÐ.

þÃñ¼¡ÅÐ Á½ø Ô¸õ, «§¾ ¦ÄýŠ¸¨Çò ¾¢ÕôÀ¢ô §À¡ðÎ ¨Áìኧ¸¡ô ¦ºö¾§À¡Ð, ÑðÀÁ¡É ƒóÐ츨ÇÔõ, À¡ìËâ¡ §À¡ýÈ ¯Â¢÷¸¨ÇÔõ ¸ÅÉ¢ò¾¡ý. «¾¢Ä¢ÕóÐ Á¡Ä¢ìäÄ÷ À¡ă¢ìÌ Å¢ò¾¢ðÎ, ¯Â¢Ã¢ý øº¢Âõ Ũà ÅóÐÅ¢ð¼¡ý.

ãýÈ¡ÅÐ Á½ø Ô¸õ, º¢Ä¢ì¸ý º¢øÖ. «¨¾ ¨ÅòÐ즸¡ñÎ ¸õôäð¼÷ ¦ºöÐ, ÁÉ §Å¸ò¨¾ Ţâ×ÀÎò¾¢ì ¦¸¡ñ¼¡ý.

¿¡ý¸¡ÅÐ Á½ø Ô¸õ, ·¨ÀÀ÷ ôÊì ¸ñ½¡Ê áÄ¢¨Æ¸Ç¢ý ãÄõ þý¦¼÷¦¿ð ¦ºö¾¢ò ¾¸Åø ¦ÅûÇõ, «¾É¡ø ²üÀð¼ «ÊôÀ¨¼ Á¡üÈí¸û!

Now the translation:
    In the first sand age man melted sand & made glass, from that made lens, & with lens invented telescope & began watching the stars. That saw the beginning of cosmology.

In the second sand age microscopes were made reversing the lens made in the previous age. With the help of microscope man observed minute creatures & living matter like bacteria. From that origin of molecular biology he has advanced towards the secret of life.

Third sand age saw the silicon chip. With that man made computer & extended his mental speed.

Fourth sand age saw the advent of fibre optic cable which has enabled information avalanche creating fundamental changes all over!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    STORY NUMBER ONE
    World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Butch O'Hare. He was a fighter pilot assigned to an aircraft carrier in the South Pacific. One day his entire squadron was sent on a mission. After he was airborne, he looked at his fuel gauge and realized that someone had forgotten to top off his fuel tank. He would not have enough fuel to complete his mission and get back to his ship. His flight leader told him to return to the carrier. Reluctantly he dropped out of formation and headed back to the fleet.

As he was returning to the mothership, he saw something that turned his blood cold. A squadron of Japanese Zeroes were speeding their way toward the American fleet. The American fighters were gone on a sortie and the fleet was all but defenseless. He couldn't reach his squadron and bring them back in time to save the fleet. Nor, could he warn the fleet of the approaching danger.

There was only one thing to do. He must somehow divert them from the fleet. Laying aside all thoughts of personal safety, he dove into the formation of Japanese planes. Wing-mounted 50 calibers blazed as he charged in, attacking one surprised enemy plane and then another. Butch wove in and out of the now broken formation and fired at as many planes as possible until finally all his ammunition was spent.

Undaunted, he continued the assault. He dove at the Zeroes, trying to at least clip off a wing or tail, in hopes of damaging as many enemy planes as possible and rendering them unfit to fly. He was desperate to do anything he could to keep them from reaching the American ships.

Finally, the exasperated Japanese squadron took off in another direction. Deeply relieved, Butch O'Hare and his tattered fighter limped back to the carrier. Upon arrival he reported in and related the event surrounding his return. The film from the camera mounted on his plane told the tale. It showed the extent of Butch's daring attempt to protect his fleet. He was recognized as a hero and given one of the nation's highest military honors. And today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man.
    STORY NUMBER TWO
    Some years earlier there was a man in Chicago called Easy Eddie. At that time, Al Capone virtually owned the city. Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. His exploits were anything but praiseworthy. He was however, notorious for enmeshing the city of Chicago in everything from bootlegged booze and prostitution to murder. Easy Eddie was Capone's lawyer and for a good reason. He was very good! In fact, his skill at legal maneuvering kept Big Al out of jail for a long time.

To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well. Not only was the money big; Eddie got special dividends. For instance, he and his family occupied a fenced in mansion with live-in help and all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago city block. Yes, Eddie lived the high life of the Chicago mob and gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on around him.

Eddy did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly. Eddy saw to it that his young son had the best of everything; clothes, cars, and a good education. Nothing was withheld. Price was no object. And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong. Yes, Eddie tried to teach his son to rise above his own sordid life. He wanted him to be a better man than he was.

Yet, with all his wealth and influence, there were two things that Eddie couldn't give his son. Two things that Eddie sacrificed to the Capone mob that he could not pass on to his beloved son..a good name and a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Offering his son a good name was far more important than all the riches he could lavish on him. He had to rectify all the wrong that he had done. He would go to the authorities and tell the truth about Scar-face Al Capone. He would try to clean up his tarnished name and offer his son some semblance of integrity. To do this he must testify against The Mob, and he knew that the cost would be great. But more than anything, he wanted to be an example to his son.

He wanted to do his best to make restoration and hopefully have a good name to leave his son. So, he testified. Within the year, Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago street. He had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer at the greatest price he would ever pay. I know what you're thinking.

What do these two stories have to do with one another? . . . . .

Well you see, Butch O'Hare was Easy Eddie's son.
    A pizza with the radius "z" and thickness "a" has the volume pi*z*z*a.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that amazing story, TS!! Have been missing you for sometime now!! Glad to have caught up Pa!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio
    If you are a Harry Potter fan, here are the reasons to feel proud of-

If all Harry Potter books ever sold were placed end to end, they would go around the equator 1.4 times.

The total number of Harry Potter books ever sold is more than the populations of Britain, France, Germany and Italy combined.
    If all the Harry Potter books were burned, would it solve the fuel crisis by saving on coal for the next ten years????

Only kidding, don't get your wands out!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    jsut raed tihs........ I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod
    aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal
    pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
    Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr
    the ltteers in a wrod are witren, the olny iprmoatnt
    tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the
    rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can
    sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the
    huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
    the wrod as a wlohe. Azmanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas
    thought slpeling was ipmorantt! Ceehrs !

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato
    Vrey teru, Tmotao !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato
    I hvae raed taht smehwoere bfoere

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast