Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 3992

Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    velai kidaichiduchu
    - saw few scenes in J Movie channel..
    - Sathyaraj has a unique style & thenavattu in action sequences.. i like it

thenavattu scene

- 3 main characters: Sathyaraj, Anandaraj, Sarathkumar ... all villain turned heroes.. nice to see them in action
    - film was shot in year 1990 & that time Anandaraj & Sarathkumar were seen together in Pulan Visaranai ... & sarathkumar was a busy villain / character artiste that time.. & these 2 acted in a double hero subject "kaaval nilaiyam"
    - did not see the most of 1st half, but, Gowthami + Sathyaraj pair should be a hit pair those days considering the no. of films they done together
    - Since it was directed by P Vasu, i thought music is by IR.. but i was amused by the pathetic bgm & later googled to find the music director, it was by Amsalekha (alias Maragadhamani)

- sometime later i will watch full film & post my comments..

for interested people..

2. Likes mappi liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber VinodKumar's's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cuckoo ..

Sudhandhira kodi - .. best is when she shows angry on her inability when her cell phone is broken by his brother ...

Dinesh - Ok. reminds me Perazhagan Surya in all shots.. did anyone feel the same ? May be because of his voice modulation ... Few places he was very artificial.

Humor - Ada paavigala ... Liked it.

Movie - Not Ok . Other than blind lead pair nothing was new. My expectations were different .

Music - Low class / Middle class / handicapped / village subjects pada(ngal)kugal lam innum Raja isai la thaan karai yeruthunga.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj View Post
    velai kidaichiduchu

- Sathyaraj has a unique style & thenavattu in action sequences.. i like it
    Yes, thats what made him have some awesome films in his kitties. During this period, early 90's, his Pudhu Manithan stands quite tall where he show cases most of his unique style and along with GM, kekkave vennam !

Think its post Villadhi Villain he started to go down the lane unable to continue his resistence. Himself and Vijayakanth were quite tough and stood their ground admist the block buster heroes of their time. But, they were not able to sustain and adapt to the mordernism fastly clutching the industry during the late 90's.

After Gauthami, I think he paried with Bhanupriya in quite a lot of films. Pangali was a quite tickling film that I throughly enjoyed with my friends at the time of its release. Think we saw it twice or thrice in the cinema hall. Not to mention Bramma too !

By the by Velai Kidaichiduchu is just an average film, worth giving a shot if you miss those awesome 90s.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

6. Likes HonestRaj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinodKumar's View Post
    Cuckoo ..

Dinesh - Ok. reminds me Perazhagan Surya in all shots.. did anyone feel the same ? May be because of his voice modulation ... Few places he was very artificial.
    No, myself did not get any hint or reference wrt Surya in Dinesh Performence. He had carried out his role keeping well in mind that its going to be compared with Kamal or Vikram - but he can consider himself to have gained another recognition in the potrayal of visibly impaired completely different to that already essayed.

Also, I felt his performence is not addressed properly and he is not given enough merits. For instance, we still talk about Kamal's Moondram Pirai climax, but we shy down or shun completely Dinesh's performence in Cuckoo Climax. I can give you an exemple for starters : When he hears the alarm tone while being on the train, he just jumps not knowing which direction he is falling, then he rolls and just falls beside a platform bench. Now watch that scene quite carefully how his forehead misses the corner of bench [and he does not seem to mind its presence at all]. Like wise, there are so many other dedicated performences on show case throughout the film. Hope the award panels do not over look these instances and recognise such talents.
    Last edited by mappi; 3rd April 2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj View Post
    velai kidaichiduchu

- Since it was directed by P Vasu, i thought music is by IR.. but i was amused by the pathetic bgm & later googled to find the music director, it was by Amsalekha (alias Maragadhamani)
    maragadhamani is m.m.kreem alias m.m.keeravani http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._M._Keeravani
    hamslakeha is a different person http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsalekha
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber interz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Balupu (Telugu)

I am really surprised to read this awful movie was a hit. I dont think Shruthi Haasan will look back at her career and think highly of this movie. Too add more damage to the movie they made Raviteja sing with autotune (music by Thaman of course), shabbaaa mudiyala-.
    God bless all

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mappi View Post
    Cuckoo (2014 : Tamil : 2h40m)
    Written & Directed by Raju Murugan

Music : Santhosh Narayanan

Starring : Dinesh as Thamizh & Malavika Nair as Sudhanthirakodi

Simple story about romance blooming between two visually impaired couples (ofcoarse opposite gender), with the "as usual" crooked minded family members who try to benefit from them by going to any extent to seperate their love and the "golden hearted friends" who are not only prepared to help them financially but support them throughout their journey on this "thorny-love" road [but as usual go missing during crucial suituations]. The prime motive of the film is to show us Who they (all) are, How - Thamizh & Kodi meet; fall in love; get seperated and whether they join again crossing all the hurdles which even humans with sight could tumble, and finally how their love acts as a sound to guide them in this 'dark-pathetic' world, helping them to recaputre & retarce their paths just as the fabulous melody - Cuckoo Cuckoo.

Let me tell this straight away - Cuckoo is not for everyone. There are dramas and melodramas which are quite soothing for any audience even if they have a dislikeness to such genres, but cuckoo stays quite pure and needs a bit of thinking and interpretations throughout the movie to fully enjoy it, which could make the viewership not only tiring but seemingly long.

Raju Murugan has neatly presented his tale, which is quite difficult to produce visually. Admist the life of the visually impaired, he allocates enough sweet & sour moments for the main couple, making it as an "docu-interesting" watch. The co-artists were damn good and its shown in such a way that you are amoung them enjoying their "normal" take of life rather then getting preachy or sorrowed by their state. The humour has come out well, but again it will not be appealing for the most as its not spoon-fed oneliners. There are some crumbling onliners about politics, current cinema, humanity etc., just like the jokes coloumn of Vikatan weekly.

The lead pair takes away the lime light. They are not only natural but beleivable, esp., Malavika. Her agony mixed with desperation to put forward the anguish in her expressions are very subtle. Be it tolerating the naughty comments or kiddish acts of Dinesh or facing her families decesion, knowing well that she is not only helpless but is not even capable of confronting them, are so very well enacted. Dinesh does some tremendrous exploitation of himself getting well inside the shoes of a visually impaired person. They have carefully edited his close-up shots to give us a varied feel for each of his expressions. Sharing the same podium with them is Santosh Narayanan. Only default are the songs and its placing that does not coincide with the suituations, which make us aloof from the picturisations. He scores too high in BGM and RR which fits the emotions of the lead pair as well as the expression of the film itself. Hats off to him to have learnt where to be silent. Special mention goes to all the colorful visuals and the man who had captured them all.

Scenes which impressed me lot (either its music or performence or directors touch) :
    - Title card
    - Dinesh Intro
    - Awesome IR songs everywhere
    - Bustop scene
    - Kodi wating for Thamiz after giving him the parfume
    - Opening of Manasual Sorra Kathae (and its visuals)
    - Kodi Facing her family
    - Police station encounter (and the scene just after that where Dinesh wishes to feel the Police official and ...)
    - Climax (towards the far end)
    - End credits

But still on the whole, it fails to impress even the fans of such genre. The prime reason being going over board with realism & extending scenes where even after the message is passed the film continues as a tutor repeating the same lines. The idea was great, the visual naration was top notch but the assemblage was a bit clumpsy. The scenes unfold as a custon design : jolly suituation => pathos scene => happy mood => cruelty => etc. When each start to happen, it happens in huge quantity, and thrown as a junk, esp. towards the climax where the film tries to catch its own tail. Another thing is that, every scene is crowded, there is a lot of noise and commotion. Eventhough I understand the motive behind it, I thought it should have been kept under check after a few illustrations and registrations, but the film continues to pound our ears. It should have been more creative in its approach to control the realism. Fact is that we are here to see what Thamizh & Kodi are doing and not how they are doing admist all the pollution throughout ! Finally, the journalist subplot is not very original - I wished they could have skipped it and narrated in an alternative way (in a straight forward manner) - its a twin to Ajith Starrer Red (but Cuckoo is nowhere near to Red - trust me).

I do not know how this movie is doing in theatres, or whether its still running, but Cucukoo is a movie to be cherished just for the efforts put by the whole team. Thamizh & Sudhanthirakodi are a lovely couple and their love indeed reaches out for you.

Cuckoo - SoulfulL
    Its doing good...Had second weekend special show in Satyam Cinemas...

11. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicomeat View Post
    maragadhamani is m.m.kreem alias m.m.keeravani http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._M._Keeravani
    hamslakeha is a different person http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsalekha
    thanks for the correction

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rachel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    pandia nadu- very good

endrendrum punnagai- ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Oru Kanniyum Moonu Kalavaanikalum (OKMK)
    [2014 : Tamil : Drama (Thriller)]
    (Based on the Time Travel theme : The Guardians of time)

Written & Directed by Chimbu Deven
    Music : Natarajan Sankaran
    Editing : Raja Mohammed

Banner : Mohana Movies

Starring : Arulnithi, Bindu Madhavi, Bagavathi Perumal & others

Tamizh is in double-decker trouble : one, his love interest is getting married to another man; two, his mom is hospitalised and he needs money to get her cured. At this moment, a jackpot falls on his laps, if he kidnaps the bride, he gets a large amount, and by doing that he gets back his love too, a very fair deal. So he teams up with two of his faithful friends to plot the kidnap. And the task on hand is not that easy as right from acquiring weapons, till the second they flee out with the girl, is the worst nightmare that forcebly comes true.

Chimbu Deven has masterly crafted this little fiction, where he clearly had 3 things running in his mind : 1. should be different (atleast in TFI); 2. repeat value - he puts enough elements that should be missed during the single view and taunts us to go for a 2nd viewing; 3. Discussion about the film - eventhough not complex but the arrangement, esp. very well editted narration, should reunion audiences to share what they saw and what they missed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie from the start till the end, grasping all the humour on the way. All the 3 sequences were well made keeping intact the "thrill" element, without making one fell that the movie is repeating itself. Except for the sequence 3, the other 2 sequences were fun. The film maker should have stuck to the same values in the 3rd sequence too, and I wonder what made him opt out and include some unnecessary exchanges between characters, but its his choice anyway !

Bindhu Madhavi just flies with colors in this movie. Absolutely liked her elegance. Next is "Bakhs", he just made me laugh with all his lines with his big eyed expressions. I had so many problem with Arulnithi starting from his chin strap bread, to his slaped face expression for every single scene. The rest of the artists are more or less cameos, but with some superb 'film-cutting' instructions, Chimbu Deven has made all their presence wholesome. Music plays its part well, but it should have been more in variety keeping in mind the huge scope the film had for it.

I felt that this is how narration techniques should be borrowed, rather than lifting scenes from other film makers pocket. For instance, the film 300 had a runtime not more that 1hr, but it got extended to another 30 minutes thru Slow-mos. Imagine how much it had cut the production cost, but how it looked on screen. Chimbu Deven had exactly got this and utilised it at the fullest in his film, where one sutuitation narrates 3 different scopes, not to mention all the awesome slo-mos. An intelligent film maker is the one who puts less investment and grosses big. All these "Big-Budget-Bull-Backs" get misfired just like the Aboorva Sagotharargal Pistol. [C V kumar is an intelligent producer, read the article posted here - thanks Balaajee].

A big welcome to films like OKMK, both for its entertainment as well as production values.

OKMK - Oru Kathayum Moondru Klimaxum