Page 284 of 400 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 3992

Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinodKumar's View Post
    Pudhupettai is still the latest good gangster movie.
    today i saw last 20 mins in Jaya TV.. superb..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ArulprakasH's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jigarthanda... Easily gets into my favourite list... Karthik and team :claps:
    முதல் அடியில் நடுங்க வேண்டும்.. மறு அடியில் அடங்க வேண்டும்.. மீண்டு வந்தால் மீண்டும் அடி.. மறுபடி மரண அடி!!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber selvamohankumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sathuranga vettai was clean and good.. Naty was pretty good.. Director worked on details to impress..
    Love & Love Only
    -Selvakumar M.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj View Post
    today i saw last 20 mins in Jaya TV.. superb..
    I miss that Dir now

Senior Member Devoted Hubber selvamohankumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch Athithi, enough twist and turns to keep u engaged.. watch it at home.. Good attempt..
    Love & Love Only
    -Selvakumar M.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Athithi is a decent film. Failed casting, bad dialogue exchange and over the top brainy villan disconnects us.
    Nevertheless, a welcome genre in TFI and indeed does not disappoint.

A buisness man and his wife are picked by an individual on their vacation trip and slowly the individual manipulates them by taking away anything that belongs to them. When the couple are stranded on the street, its time to retaliate not only to bring back what they lost, but also to find out who and what are the motives of this individual. When they find out, it makes what they lost before as mere toys, as truth can strangle you, taking away the last brethe you have earned and leaving you no less than a corpse.

Adopted from a malayalam cinema "Cocktail", Nandha, Ananya and Nikesh Ram play the principle characters in Athithi directed by Bharathan & team.

Athithi : Nitty-Gritty
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both the films were suttufied from 'Butterfly on a wheel'

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Jigarthanda yesterday. It had a small release here and the main release is planned for November (can't pick up the strategy here, anyway ...)

The film was just fabulous. And yes its a great gangster film, if you get the last sentence uttered by the 'upcoming hero'. The likeness over other such/similar films can play a dual role : it can blind one eye, and does not allow the other to appreciate its vision. The film briliantly steps in and out of reality, and is a great boon for movie buffs. There is a pattern in the naration, like it goes steep and when at a point it just pulleys you up. There are several such instances making us experience a "bungee jumping" while watching the film. And some very fine touches everywhere. The casting and the way the drama is produced and unfolds are what that clicks.

An indie-shortfilm maker, Karthik, without any flimy support, dreams to make it big in the film industry, as he is under an impression that talent is what that sells. He is invited by a producer to do a film under his reputed banner, but Karthik's beleif gets shattered when he learns that there are fixed rules that cannot be fixed in this industry. Upon the order of the producer to make a gangster type film with blood & gore, Karthik still wishes to do it in his own way by getting ready an different gangster film. So he travels to Madurai to follow a local goon who is known to be quite violent and merciless. By closely watching the activities of the goon, Karthik, scripts his new gangster film until a moment he is taken by suprise when the goon himself is ready to tell him all the instances that happened in his 'life as a goon', which could make the script even more deadiler and close to reality. Sweet moments in life always are short lived, proved yet again thru Karthik's life, his dream races with Jack & Jill to stumble down the hill when the goon orders him to make the movie only and if only the goon himself is the hero of the film. Thus begins the ACT3, where Karthik masterly makes a never seen before gangster film with the goon as the hero. The aftermaths of the movie release rounds everyone up to a slaping climax, an end quite smashing.

Simha and Siddarth play the dual perfectly. Its Simha as Sethu captures the first half, where Siddarth as Karthik, is just a roaming kite. Their role gets revered in the second half where Karthik takes the batton and Sethu shows his back. Even thier expressions get reversed, like how the agony of a film maker turns to become a hot pot and the ruthless goon becomes 'price-less'. And in both cases, these two artists have performed more than well, esp. during the theatre scene where one is outside and the other is inside. Seeing them giving simultaneous facial movements is a pure joy to watch. Hugging them in the line is Karunakaran. He is the bangle vendor in Madhurai city, as no one would beleive that his attire was altered for filming purpose. I found 'the ghost' & 'sliting the throat' suituations funny. Ambika & Miss Menon do an extended cameo where Miss Menon becomes crucial at a point but Ambika Fades away. Sangili Murugan's back story was warm, a mind voice of anyone dreaming to make a film, not for name or fame, but just a film of their own. And then there is this 'suprise-man', who suprises as the name I have given to him.

Technically the whole crew is brilliant. Santosh gives some astonishing musical pieces throughout the movie that makes you get easily involved in the film. You can find it out just in the opening scene how he had recorded the Malarthum Malaratha song - heard from outside, then from inside. Proves the enormous team work they had put it. Locations, visuals, colors, costumes, scene changes & everything is quite up to the mark. The film teases you with all the known sutituations and masterly cons you with a different output, making it a "different ganster movie" as promised by the film maker Karthik Subbaraj.

Try the grasp all the good moments in the film and its making, I am sure you will not have time to dig into other exisiting negative aspects.

Jigarthanda : Pin (in) the banana
    Last edited by mappi; 4th August 2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kartik Subbaraj's Jigarthanda arrives with a lot of expectations, especially after the iconic Pizza.
    In fact, he uses the same technique of story-telling here. A whole build-up and the last 10 min twist.
    I actually prefered the second half rather than the first.

The hero and heroine of Jigarthanda are Simha and Sidharth, respectively. Hate-the-sight-of-her LM makes yet another appearance. Thankfully, her part in the whole movie hardly exceeds 15 mins. Simha roars while Sidharth meows. Perhaps Kartik should have taken his own advice and used an appropriate actor for the lead role. Sidharth is so unconvincing, and when he acts "local" its side-splitting.

Vijay Sethupathi does a cameo. And what a brilliant performance! Perhaps Vijay Sethupathi would have been the ideal lead?

Thankfully there is only one song, and two other quarter ... songs. Santhosh's BGM, as always, is good.

I wonder who did the English sub-titling - using swear words is NOT acceptable!

I am confused - is it a good movie or not? Normally, I will judge by how I feel at the end of the movie - if I feel that I want to watch again, its a good movie. If not, it's not. Perhaps I will watch a second time when it plays on TV soon.....
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    An easy chance to note the performence of Siddrath can be found during his intro and his last appearence in the film. Both similar close up shots. If you have noted the variation, then Siddarth takes home the medal.

Forgot to mention, stay during the end credits and depending on the cinema hall you are in, you can see, yes not feel but see the vibration!

And NOV, is that your review ?