Thread: Kumari Kandam

Threaded View

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by happyindian
    I fail to understand how it cud be associated with cooking. Perhaps the interpretation is cooked!!
    Yes, enjoy yourself for the time being Mr Happyindian. You are happy and that is good.

"Cooking" here figuratively refers to the refinements into the language introduced over 2 or 3 centuries after the Christian Era.

The Tamil word "samai" has several meanings and nuances which must be obvious to anyone having some knowledge of Tamil.

"samaithal" also has a slightly different meaning compared to "samaiththal". Eitherway, the morpheme is "samai".

Of course, samai can be further traced back. I shall not go into that now.

From samai, Sans pundits extracted the root "sam".

When you cook you put things together and "cook". Thus the derived meaning of samai is to put things together, to formulate etc.,

samai , -- mutilate the word and obtain sam. (This also can be explained a different manner, but I would not go into that now.) The usual manner in which Sans obtained its roots from Tamil whole words.

Now, how could katham become krutham or kritham. (u or i - these changes are ignored).

Look at another Tamil word: methu sanskritized as mrithu or mrithu.
    Same pattern of change.

Thus you get samskrith or samaskrutham or sanskrit (however presented). sanskrit is of course anglicized.

Just enjoy it. If the Sans pundit 2000 yrs ago wanted to formulate words in this manner, what could you and I do about it!!? At that time, Tamil was a major language having a large word bank.

Sanskrit is an Indo-European language and there is no equivalent or corresponding terms in IE languages for this word "Sanskrit" itself. So it is without a doubt a word concocted from the Dravidian.

Sivan is a Tamil word. No IE corresponding term. So Dravidian.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement