Thread: cookware and utensils

Hybrid View

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kz
    Thankyou Kavikuil. How heavy are they?
    I tried to order in amazon.com but they were out of stock. takes 2 or 3 months i guess. I haven't seen the lodge cast iron pans in stores. Have u tried lodge dutch oven? I got to replace my nonstick pan which i use for chapathi too.
    Yes pressure cooker is a must. I saw some iron kadai too in chinese markets but donno how good they are. what do use to make kolambu and rasams?

Thankyou.
    Kz
    Kz, I have the Lodge 3 Qt size chicken fryer (which comes with the lid), a 10 1/4 " skillet (the lid for the chicken fryer fits this one), a 10 1/4 " griddle and a 6 1/4" inch skillet. I got all of these for a whopping $36.36 (including shipping!) There was a sale going on at the time. And I've never been more happier. Keep looking in Amazon, you'll find these stuff for a great price. The Chicken fryer was basically a 3Qt skillet with a lid.

Yes, I've seen Lodge cookware in the cookware stores in the Malls too. Only the price was hiked up thrice or four times!

I use the smallest skillet for seasoning/thalippu; sometimes to saute ginger garlic before making the paste. The chicken fryer and the 10 1/4" skillet - for making side dishes out of vegetables, poriyals, etc. Carrot poriyal is esp very tasty when made in cast iron pan and it cooks really fast. I also use these pans for deep frying. Chicken curries are delicious. And I've made parathas using the skillet and they came out very nice. Also, The pan doesnt move/shake because of its heavy weight and I find it very comfortable while making murukkus. The 10 1/4" griddle is used for making dosas. And they come really well. Chapathis are made on a iron griddle with wooden handle, I got from North India. I think, it is wrought iron. I'm not sure though. It's a very thin griddle.

I also have a set of stainless steel vessels (3 items, I think made by Mirro 18/10 grade SS). For rasams/kulambus, I use a 2 Qt sauce pan or a 5 Qt stock pot, if I'm making large quantity. Fish curries are made in the 5 Qt. pot. Sometimes I use the pressure cooker bottom to make sambar/rajma curries/etc as well. I also have a 1 Qt sauce pan that came with this set, that I use to make less quantities of rasam or sometimes, to make tea.

These are the only stove top cookware I use. And right now, these 9 items are more than what I need to cook a decent meal. I also have a Futura pressure cooker but I havent felt the need for using it so far. I dont think I will be buying more cookware in the near future because cast iron stuff last lifelong and stainless cookware comes for a long time too.

I usually can't handle heavy stuff, and I too, worried about the heaviness of the cast iron pans. I now see that I can handle these items with ease. But had I ordered a 5 Qt Chicken fryer or a dutch oven, it would have been difficult for me to handle.

Hope this helps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement