here is my take on how professional orchestras can make a living on Indian film songs, without having to worry about what songs are suitable for that graceful orchestral stretch. (No matter what any MSV melody must easily translate into orchestral versions.)

This is based on how CBSO did Rafi resurrected - 2 versions one with vocals and the other with no vocals

1. symphony orchestrate (with as many layers as want but no voice) the main melody (pallavi and charanam) without original prelude / interlude.

2. like a regular vocal song but with symphony orchestra interpretation for prelude and interlude, and no orchestral backing should replace rhythms with the voice, and also percussion should nt be out of the preludes/interlude.

This way they can have 2 versions of the same song - the instrumental interpretations without prelude/interlude clutter and confusion and heaviness, and the actual vocal songs without missing out on the actual percussions sounds and leaving out orchestral flourishes with the songs, which i found a little too heavy and taking focus out of the voice.

This way, the essence of the song is presevered in the orchestral version and the original sounds and vocal emotions and percussion is retained in the vocal version. and people can have a easy listening expeirince of the instrumental version.

CBSO did a fantastic job, but both versions were too heavy sounding. i am sure Rahman is inspriing just that in India. I hope to see Indian Paul Mauriats, Pourcell, James Lasts, Pappeti, Acker Bilks, Mantovanni, Bill Vaughn.