PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB - Part 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

app_engine
20th April 2012, 01:17 AM
Continued from here: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB/page100

Another interesting landmark for this thread - it's nearing 4000 posts! (We're in the 400th page!)

V_S
20th April 2012, 01:36 AM
Great going App! No words to describe your dedication. :notworthy: :clap: Very interesting reads, everyone. 1992 is a very special year for indian music. It is not a mean achievement at all crossing 1 year and having so much views and replies touching 400 pages. One of the best thread in our hub. :thumbsup: Thank you sirji! :D

jaiganes
20th April 2012, 01:56 AM
thanks to A_E we can now show yet another proof of quantity without losing quality of Raaja.
One full year of awesome songs!!!

app_engine
20th April 2012, 02:32 AM
nanRi V_Sji & jaiganes, for your kind words!

Tomorrow's song will be from a R Sundarrajan movie that I've not seen (and that I didn't know it was his until recently :oops:)...

...Mrs.Fruit-you-god...

genesis
20th April 2012, 05:25 AM
App - It should actually be Mrs#2.Fruit-You God!!

Does the story of Valli has any sort connection to the mythological Valli's story? (I have never seen this movie)

raajarasigan
20th April 2012, 11:01 AM
#355 வனமெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ
(நாடோடிப்பாட்டுக்காரன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2169'&lang=en)

vanamellAm sheNbagappoo from nAdOdippAttukkAran

Quite an interesting song, with an unusual kind of rhythm arrangement for the pallavi - something that sounds like "reverse gear" and not often heard in IR songs IMO. Catchy melody and possibly provided some "mass screen presence" thingy for Karthik those days. However, the movie's name makes it obscure - with too many movies having pAttukkAran suffix those days (as also nAdOdi prefix). I don't have any idea about the movie at all!

The song is strongly etched in memory, however :-) Once again, I can't place a specific time period as to when I actually heard this song :-( While there's no question that I've listened to it only on PA systems (and not on a personal audio / radio), it's got to be around the time of its arrival - during my many trips to Cbe & rest of TN in the early 90's. Other hubbers may be able to chip-in more details about the movie /songs.

In addition, I don't have much familiarity with other songs of this album at all!My favourite!! :D as you mentioned, don't have any idea about the other songs.. rhythm is very good to listen in this song.. the lyrics end with 'pU' in each line is another interesting part in this song,...

jaiganes
20th April 2012, 01:38 PM
My favourite!! :D as you mentioned, don't have any idea about the other songs.. rhythm is very good to listen in this song.. the lyrics end with 'pU' in each line is another interesting part in this song,...

The movie has the impeccable "aagayathaamarai" sung by raaja and s.janaki.
Other unimpressive song includes keerthanai form of vanamellam.
This movie was one more raaja chellam and ex villain sangili murugan production.
Movie was directed by cinematographer n.k.viswanadhan.who recently directed jaganmohini.
One also remembers this song by the oddest ways to play musical instruments by Charlie and co.

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 02:23 PM
Rickshaw mama is one of the umpteen sathyaraj-gounder combo movies of 90s forever immortalized by aNNan's genius.

Got to watch it then, seen it before cant remember anything, time for a revist!

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 02:31 PM
Another interesting landmark for this thread - it's nearing 4000 posts! (We're in the 400th page!)

All because of your dedication and hard work!!! When I started this thread I never thought of it reaching 400, it was stuck on 10 odd pages, it was just me and baroque (vinatha) who frequently posted, but with your additon you took this to thread another level :thumbsup: :clap:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 02:33 PM
One of the best thread in our hub. :thumbsup: Thank you sirji! :D

Yes One of my "Main" reason for hubbing ! Apart from the Indian history and culture section :)

A_S
20th April 2012, 04:29 PM
App: My choice for #366 is Samikitta Solla from AP. As compared to Mannan song (which's also my favourite) or CG song that got noticed because of the stars involved (RK, VK et al), this song IMHO became a hit only because of IR (along with the soothing voices of SPB & SJ) and for me, this is some thing very special about IR (motivation to compose outstanding songs (& BGMs) for all his movies and not just big starrers). There are countless examples for this and on the flip side, it has ensured that we have to be quite courageous to watch most of the videos for all these unforgettable songs.

A_S
20th April 2012, 04:31 PM
App: Please don't exclude the two melodies from VP (Kalaivaniyo, Solaimalai) and the two unforgettable songs from EA (Thulli Thirinthathoru, Chinnan Chiru).
DD aired IR program on 1991 deepavali day (in which clippings from Chinnavar movie song sung by NB were shown).

On the lighter note, missed songs list has suddenly grown (4 times in size for sure) very quick like a T20 innings :-D
So including the missed songs, we will probably touch 500.

A_S
20th April 2012, 04:32 PM
On NB topic, guess Param's favourite movie is SV :)
Surprised to note that App didn't make a mention of this (NB in SV) while covering the three songs of that movie.

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 04:43 PM
Vagai nathi oram

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K5jmSxLvkO4

Nerd
20th April 2012, 05:30 PM
Blasphemy alert: Mayilaadum from CPN is a boring song,and more importantly not a hit.

kOttaiyai vittu - Hugely underrated (all 3 versions). I mean they were hits alright the time it was released but was almost forgotten. And thanks to Sarkunam for using that song in kaLavaani :thumbsup:

And app, congrats on yet another milestone. Great thread, great posts, great memories and nostalgic (even for a I am a young like me) :bow:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 05:43 PM
On NB topic, guess Param's favourite movie is SV :)

:notthatway: watched this when I was kid, cant remember any scenes except "puthu cheri kathcheri " by SPB :)

app_engine
20th April 2012, 06:43 PM
App - It should actually be Mrs#2.Fruit-You God!!

Does the story of Valli has any sort connection to the mythological Valli's story? (I have never seen this movie)

genesis sir,
I didn't mean vaLLi (which is a 1993-er and was directed by Natraj).

This was a literal translation :-)
(Mrs = Thirumathi, Fruit-you = Pazhani & god = sAmy)

app_engine
20th April 2012, 06:46 PM
nanRi Param & Nerd, for your kind words!

A_S,
nanRi for keeping track :-) I didn't quickly get some of your abbreviations but will possibly understand when I reach those movies. (I got who NB is, however :lol2:)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS00FrWVe1I&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
20th April 2012, 06:50 PM
New vote tally for #366 :

rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL (I wrongly assumed it was SJ because my periyammA was singing it in kitchen so enthusiastically often, even thiraippAdal says so, but original sounds like Swarnalatha)
- 2.5 (no new votes)

muthu maNi mAlai (PS briefly struggles but overall sounds great)
- 5 (no new votes)

sAmi kitta solli (SJ, the top duet companion of our thread nAyak)
- 5.5 (A_S new vote)

Come on HR, you got to do something...

PARAMASHIVAN
20th April 2012, 07:04 PM
avarU One man Army, avOrda oru ootu 100 ottu ku samam :lol2: :yessir:

Bala (Karthik)
20th April 2012, 07:05 PM
- 5 (no new votes)

- 5.5 (A_S new vote)

:( Dharmathin vaazhvu thanai soodhu kavviduthu......

raajarasigan
20th April 2012, 08:15 PM
naan unnum vote podala....

rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL - not impressed much on this... never a fan of this...

muthu maNi mAlai - Like this but my favourite is something else in this album... (0.5)

sAmi kitta solli - munnAdi ellam avvaLavA pudikkAthu... ippo pidichu.. (0.5)

:neutral:

buggle
20th April 2012, 08:16 PM
There's a duet in CPN (SPB-SJ - starts 'mayilAdum') but not very familiar to me (may not be a hit song)...so, skip.

Really surprised A_E that you have not heard this song...listen to the prelude, smooth string arrangement...as usual the celebrated pair does justice...one of my SPB/SJ combo favorite

raajarasigan
20th April 2012, 08:18 PM
The movie has the impeccable "aagayathaamarai" sung by raaja and s.janaki.I heard this song but did not know that was from NP... :)

app_engine
20th April 2012, 08:37 PM
ok, raajarasign, I'll move 0.5 from MMM to SKS which increases its lead, advantage Plum :-)

buggle, like I explained to jaiganes, it so happened that I didn't come across mayilAdum before. Main reason was me not living in TN those days.

Sureshs65
20th April 2012, 08:42 PM
app,

I would have personally voted for 'adukku malli' but since it is not in contention, please put my vote for 'samikitta'.

And congrats for crossing 400. Wonderful effort. Given my current schedules, I struggle to catch up with the posts but do end up reading everything. It is just that I am unable to contribute much. Sorry about that.

app_engine
20th April 2012, 09:21 PM
#356 பாதக்கொலுசு
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3639'&lang=en)

'pAdhakkolusu' from thirumathi PazhanichchAmy

Smooth, soothing SPB solo that is very similar to 'pachcha malappoovu' in the feel and gets just a little lower rating than that in my books. 3 sweet stanzas ornamented with lovely tablA arrangements and some interesting keyboard sound (or may be santoor / some traditional instrument) doing the response to singer's calls, effectively replacing the typical flute usage. For some reason, I strongly connect both this song & pachcha malappoovu to the Cbe-Pollachi area :roll: Unlike the pachamalappoovu, however, this song got my attention right at the time of arrival as my friend (who recorded the IR DD program on VHS) had this as his favourtie and it got played frequently at his home.

I feel bad that I found out this to be a R Sundarrajan movie only recently. In a criminal way, I've become like the next-gen who knows him only as a 'comedy + gunachchithra' actor :shock: I've seen a couple of blog posts and the comment responses to them this morning that "introduce" R S to this gen as an "once upon a time veLLi vizhA director" who supposedly had more cinema contribution than just his acting stunts :shock: :shock: :shock:

I shouldn't be surprised because such is the power of information overload that things are so quickly forgotten. Well, it's not just due to media assault but also thanks to human nature. I chanced upon a recent R S interview too during my search today where he laments about Vijayakanth not doing 'dhukka visAraNai' to him when his son got killed in an accident recently :-( If vaidhEki kAthirundhAL hero ignores that movie's director, what else can one expect from pAvam public?

In any case, thirumathi P appears to be yet another big hit for R S, with Sathyaraj / Sukanya as lead pair and significant contribution by Goundamani.

A few more thuNukkoos related to R S :
- He is in catering business now which is his original kudumbaththozhil
- He is directing another movie after a long time, 'uyir ezhuththu', hero Ragava Lawrence, music Deva
- vAgai sooda vA, the kaLavANi pugazh Sargunam movie that got NA last year had some similarity to Thirumathi P

There is another thing that I read this AM which cannot be dismissed as a thuNukku, however :

That the famous MR movie, 'alai pAyudhE', had the same original story as the R Sundarrajan's flop movie 'thoongAtha kaNNinRu onRu' (KVM music). The story was by R Selvaraj (friend of IR) and the story writer seems to have got credited by MR in his movie if one goes by this blog :
http://www.cablesankaronline.com/2011/06/2.html

app_engine
20th April 2012, 09:28 PM
nanRi, Sureshji!

So, more advantage to Plum :-)

app_engine
20th April 2012, 09:37 PM
Link to the recent R S interview where he talks about his catering biz :
http://www.eegarai.net/t77762-topic

There're a couple other interesting thuNukkus there :

-vaidEki K was originally 'advance given' by AVM but they wanted Surya's dad as hero :lol: Since R S wanted a 'karuppu' hero, Panju ended up producing it :-)

- R S was elected poruLALar for director's association but ended up quitting that job as he was unwilling to get corrupt :thumbsup:

HonestRaj
20th April 2012, 09:53 PM

if MMM loses.. make it # 365..

366 is rare..
but 365 will always be there.. :mrgreen:

most popular song MMM'than idhula enna doubt.. makkaL aadharava parunga..

HonestRaj
20th April 2012, 09:55 PM

-vaidEki K was originally 'advance given' by AVM but they wanted Surya's dad as hero :lol: Since R S wanted a 'karuppu' hero, Panju ended up producing it :-)

- R S was elected poruLALar for director's association but ended up quitting that job as he was unwilling to get corrupt :thumbsup:

everyone's interview is like Virumandi flash back narration.. they say only their +ve side..

// end dig

app_engine
20th April 2012, 10:38 PM
everyone's interview is like Virumandi flash back narration.. they say only their +ve side..

That's correct, HR :-)

As public, we will never know what all things happened behind the scenes (& in real lives of artists). What we get are two things :

a) The actual end products (movies / music albums etc) of artists
b) The so-called interviews (here again, the reporters / media can pad up, add masAlA etc)

a) is more authentic and we can draw some conclusions based on them.
b) is only for swArasyamAna reading and nothing more :-)

Based on (a), a few very +ve things about R S :
1. Great colloborater with IR
2. One who brought GM to the forefront as comedian & who popularized the GM-Senthil pair
3. Who did 2 massive hits with Vijayakanth in the early days (without red-eye / adi-dhadi / politics / sattam etc) :wink:

V_S
20th April 2012, 11:29 PM
Excellent post App on Paadha kolusu paattu with lot of insights about RS. :clap: Thank you, really enjoyed it! And what a song that is. This song is also a great contender for #366 being SPB solo, we get to hear full song with only SPB's voice.

buggle
20th April 2012, 11:39 PM
New vote tally for #366 :

rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL (I wrongly assumed it was SJ because my periyammA was singing it in kitchen so enthusiastically often, even thiraippAdal says so, but original sounds like Swarnalatha)
- 2.5 (no new votes)

- 5 (no new votes)

- 5.5 (A_S new vote)

Definitely my vote for SKS, as i mentioned before Avarampoo songs are in my heart all the time....

app_engine
21st April 2012, 12:31 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

With buggle's vote (& rr's vAbas / splittu), sAmi kitta takes a big lead...

rAjAthi rAjA un -2.5, muthu maNi -4.5, sAmi kitta -7...

V_S
21st April 2012, 04:38 AM
That's quite a good lead. :smile:

baroque
21st April 2012, 06:44 AM
AVARAMPOO indeed!:musicsmile:

welcome baroque appadinnu solladheenga!
ingadhaan suthindu erukken.... my praises are repeat....so calmly enjoying...:-D

Thirumathi palanichami has a Vasu - IR's folk lilting tune KUTHALA KUYILEY... What a pattu!

Rasa, nammakitta padha kolusu.... illai!:(

vinatha

Devaraagam
21st April 2012, 12:27 PM
Baroque, IR and Sundarajan also a lightning combo. Thirumathi Palanisamy was the last film for them and later sundarajan tied up with Deva for one or two movies.

Devaraagam
21st April 2012, 01:04 PM

what to believe?@##!@@, some time back I read heard from gangai amaran in TV that(some telugu super signer kind of program) , when they gone to Aaliyaaru dam (I believe this is the place) for thanga magan song composition, IR completed the work quickly and composed additional 5 songs and given to panju arunachalam then Panju Arunachalam given those tunes to few directors and asked them to come with story, in that they liked sundar rajan's story and started Vaidegi kathirunthal.

HonestRaj
21st April 2012, 08:34 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

i quit :(
you musicals, enjoy...
as usual, no luck for me :( :p

HonestRaj
21st April 2012, 08:38 PM
#356 பாதக்கொலுசு
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3639'&lang=en)

'pAdhakkolusu' from thirumathi PazhanichchAmy

my most fav.. probably the best Solo for Sathyaraj...
vAli's simple lyrics is another highlight

SR's costumes.. typical 90's style :lol:

HonestRaj
21st April 2012, 08:46 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

how many here instantly voted for "samikitta" without even listening once after app announcing the poll.. :)

baroque
21st April 2012, 09:06 PM
yeah.... THAALATTU PADAVAA & AMMAN KOYIL KIZHAKKALEY, I have seen in this combo.

nilladi endradhu ul manadhu..... Deva composition is my favorite!

Beautiful composition! this song , I first listened during the Madras-Tanjore trip,

warm breeze from the travel on my face, the feeling of it brushing against the body that makes the dupatta afloat in the air...WOW! no words to describe the joy!

பாலு mesmerizes me always!:)

small pleasures...

app_engine
22nd April 2012, 09:45 AM
#357 நடுசாமத்திலே சாமந்திப்பூ
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR3637%27&lang=en)

'nadu sAmaththilE' of thirumathi Pazhanichamy, with SJ

The top pair is in sweet act in this song, with rAsA providing a lullaby-like melody for a love duet, possibly because of the 'nadu sAmam' theme. And the soft, nightly orchestration to help one get sleep (rather than get into a romantic mood). Very soft on ears and easy listening kind of song. The song is particularly enjoyable for SPB (SJ's voice had started showing mild signs of aging around this time period, somewhat audible even in this song).

While I definitely remember the initial hearings of 'pAdhakkolusu', I cannot point to when I got acquainted with this duet first :confused: Not too late, for sure but no personal listening of this song. Possibly heard on radio and PA systems but that too years back and never in the recent past. It must have been in the 90's (and only 90's) but the song has a very strong 'recall' value. I must confess that this song is so catchy that even a few listens (or even just one) could place it strongly in one's mind :-)

Unquestionably a hit song!

Nerd
23rd April 2012, 05:40 PM
#357 நடுசாமத்திலே சாமந்திப்பூ
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR3637%27&lang=en)
the song has a very strong 'recall' value. I must confess that this song is so catchy that even a few listens (or even just one) could place it strongly in one's mind :-)

Absolutely app. When I read the heading I was like, I have no clue about this song and I have never heard it before. But once the song started playing, ohhh indha paattaa :-) :-) I must not have heard it since the 90s. Anyway is this the climax song? The ludes make me think so. Love the 2nd interlude. Suveeet song and thanks once again for reminding us of yet another naicee song :bow:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd April 2012, 05:58 PM
App anna

Thanks for reminding me of such songs !

app_engine
23rd April 2012, 08:19 PM
yw, Nerd & Param!

HR,
nAnum unga katchi thAn indha thErthalil :-(
(Both songs that I nominated are trailing...I do have a story for AvArampoo album but the songs themselves weren't big in my playlist ever)

app_engine
23rd April 2012, 10:11 PM
#358 ஓதாமல் ஒரு நாளும் இருக்க வேண்டாம்
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3638'&lang=en)

'OthAmal oru nALum irukka vENdAm' from Thirumathi PazhanichchAmy, with SJ

Very clear indication of SJ's aging showing up and SPB saves the song! IR didn't want to complicate the pallavi tune, I think, and mostly retained what people use in elementary schools :lol2: It didn't raise to great levels in saraNam too as he simply stuck to his template. What stand out in the song are definitely the awesome interludes! rAjA unleashes some of his WCM expertise with war-like music there.

It's possible the inspiration was the sichchuvEshan (as in the case of a previous R Sundarrajan movie song 'pAdavA un pAdalai' that had similar cracking interludes). Those who've seen the movie please post about the setting of the song that seems to depict a small school with some other things happening elsewhere during the interludes.

This song too has the 'strong recall' because of hearing it on PA systems during the time of arrival. Haven't heard otherwise or in the near past. The pallavi lines packed me off to my elementary school instantly.

One person who came to my mind was the 5th standard sAr -who was our neighbor too- with a sweet voice. His singing of 'thambu sAmikkoru thOttamuNdu thanjaikkuppakkaththilE...thOttaththilE sila nAykaLuNdu thanjaikkuppakkaththilE...angE orE loL loL...ingum orE loL loL...engum orE loL loL' (loL-loL barking like dog) still ringing in my ears.

(This was his TN folk equivalent of old McDonald had a farm)...

app_engine
24th April 2012, 12:10 AM
#359 அம்மன் கோயில் வாசலிலே வாசலிலே
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992, மின்மினி மற்றும் சுந்தர்ராஜனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3635'&lang=en)

'amman kOyil vAsalilE vAsalilE' of thirumathi PazhanichchAmy, with Minmini & Sundarrajan

Typical rocking themmAngu by IR with his usual arrangements! Sung with usual enthu by SPB! The interesting part is the two new names I see in thiraippAdal who have sung along with our star singer in this number.

Is Minmini the chinna chinna Asai Minmini? Whose original (Malayali) name was Mini and changed by IR as Minmini? If so, this is her first entry into our compilation! The poor girl reportedly lost her voice for a few years when at the peak of her career which was very unfortunate! :-( (Thankfully, it's reported that she got back her voice and is in the limelight again, doing songs / TV shows etc).

And who is the Sundarrajan? Was it the director? :lol2: Or, was it IR's standard track singer who passed away a couple of years back?

Personally, I don't rate this song at par with many such numbers IR had done in his career - somewhat lacking lustre. Or, may be we got so used to it that anything normal by rAsA standards won't kick us anymore - we wanted some super stuff :-) Whatever, I'm happy there was yet another IR-SPB hit and the movie could boast of 4 SPB hits!

V_S
24th April 2012, 05:12 AM
#359 அம்மன் கோயில் வாசலிலே வாசலிலே
(திருமதி பழனிச்சாமி, 1992, மின்மினி மற்றும் சுந்தர்ராஜனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3635'&lang=en)
And who is the Sundarrajan? Was it the director? :lol2: Or, was it IR's standard track singer who passed away a couple of years back?
I don't think it is voice of director Sundarrajan. Looks like it is another Sundarrajan, as you said. I also hear the another (fourth) voice. His name is Saibaba who sang Nagaru Nagaru from Sathya. Wonderful songs. Film was a hit only because of Annan-SR comedy and songs. Hilarious movie!

House owner coming to Annan-SR's (they are tenants) house to give marriage invitation of his daughter.
G: oru pichaikaaran veettukuLLa varalam athu nyaayam
G: oru sori naay veettukuLLa varalam athu nyaayam
G: ana oru veettukaaran veetukulla varalaama :lol:

O: en ponnukku kalyanam
G: ada kadavuLE kadavuLE, onakkanathe thappu, un ponnukkellam oru kalyama :rotfl:
G: pesame ithellam utturra, andha payyanaavathu pozhachu pOgattum

AravindMano
24th April 2012, 07:12 AM
Absolutely app. When I read the heading I was like, I have no clue about this song and I have never heard it before. But once the song started playing, ohhh indha paattaa :-) :-) I must not have heard it since the 90s. Anyway is this the climax song? The ludes make me think so. Love the 2nd interlude. Suveeet song and thanks once again for reminding us of yet another naicee song :bow:

Totally! Thanks a_e!

groucho070
24th April 2012, 08:14 AM
thanks app, on the info on RS, and the links. As usual :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for your efforts. :smile:

app_engine
24th April 2012, 09:02 AM
nanRi, V_Sji for the clarification & the GM jokes :-)

nal varavu, ArvindMano & groucho!

groucho,
awesome writing on your little boy :-)

groucho070
24th April 2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks for reading app.

By the way, for a long time I thought Pathakolusu song was for one of dem Karthik/RVUK films :oops: namma SR padamnu theriyAthu. Also, I have not watched TP in full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmBMxh6Xc4E

Devaraagam
24th April 2012, 12:10 PM
[URL="http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3635'&lang=en"]

I believe its sundarrajan (Dir), he has sung in few more songs, the one immidiatly comiing to my mind is "neelaveni" from sami potta mudichu.

Plum
24th April 2012, 01:37 PM
Sundarrajan has done a duet with IR - I believe raagas-kann covered it in the other thread. This is IR's own May song (remember Kannadasan's May song?). Grouch - I don't think anyone in the world has watched TMPC in full. GM-SR scenes and SR-Sukanya "scenes" mattum dhaan bONi Agi irukkumnu nenaikkaREn . It is amazing our directors take their stories seriously and come up with emotional/rowdramana/actionpacked climaxes, when comedy times and midnight masalas remind us time and again that it is only the comedy scenes and matter songs that endure. I can understand the ambitious ones like paruthiveeran having a bloody climax(climax maketh the film). But why do TMT Pazhanis take themselves seriously? Every single viewing of this film stops when the emosanal scenes start...not just for me but for everyone I know. RSundar will well do to heed this and address this in his comeback film. We have some decent comedic talent - adhai apdiye maindain pannungappA - we don't take you seriously when you go all emosan and sendiment on us. Also, a note on Sathyaraj - probably the least among the top heroes of his time when it comes to getting emotional and aakrosham(remember wlater vetrivel?). Even Sarathkumar does better.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 02:25 PM
I don't think anyone in the world has watched TMPC in full. GM-SR scenes and SR-Sukanya "scenes" mattum dhaan bONi Agi irukkumnu nenaikkaREn . .

I have watched this as a kid, can't remember much apart from the songs, eg "Othamal oru naalum iruka vendam" IIRC it was picturised in a school! I wanted to watch this again cos of Annan & SR lollu, but none of video shops seem to have much SR collection London, even RamaRasan has more collections in London rental shops :shock:

groucho070
24th April 2012, 02:30 PM
Plum, I like SR in his Manivannan mode and comedies with aNNan, after Nanban, I totally washed my hands off on him as decent actor...So, you are right in your second last sentence. I hope Sundarrajan doesn't get desperate and do the comedy himself (remember AndAn Admimai?)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 02:38 PM
I totally washed my hands off on him as decent actor...So, you are right in your second last sentence.

:shock: Blame shankar for Nanban , have you seen his latest film Uchithanai Mugarnthal (I guess not) pls watch it!

app_engine
24th April 2012, 06:18 PM
By the way, for a long time I thought Pathakolusu song was for one of dem Karthik/RVUK films :oops:

Like I posted, the song has some similarities with 'pachcha malapoovu' in the overall construct.

That could be the reason for the kizhakku vAsal connection :-)

app_engine
24th April 2012, 06:22 PM
Looks like the poll has lost its steam - with sAmi kitta solli taking a decisive lead.

I'll still not indulge in those three movies until #364. If positions keep maintained, we'll have 'kooNdukkuLLa' as #364, 'muthu maNi' as #365 & 'sAmi kitta' as #366 :-) Well, we still have a few more days to cover prior to that (and I don't want to do mannan in this gap, though it didn't get enough votes, to be fair, I need to wait till #366 before posting that).

So, let's go to the 2nd MSV-IR movie for three days :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:08 PM
let's go to the 2nd MSV-IR movie for three days :-)

Senthamizh Paatu ?? IIRC Prabhu's character name in this Film is "balu" :)

My Fav are

1) Chinna Chinna thooral - Stylish stuff by SPB :ccol:
2) adi Komatha engal kulamatha - SPB full of Stamina
3) Kaalaiyil poothathu kovil mani

:notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rVhE0VKQLsY

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXa1v4hJpKo&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydWJXW-foQ&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzPcTiMiGlk&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:16 PM
"Thilagam" in Kootukoru Paatirukku song from this movie! :banghead:

app_engine
24th April 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't remember hearing the 'gOmAthA' song before but the other 3 numbers were in my excel sheet...will take care of 3 days :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:28 PM
App Anna

There was Karthik + Revathy movie called "Deivavakku" it hada song by SPB called "Oru Paatale Solli adipEn" , quite a good song

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:32 PM
And IIRC " Inisai Mazhai " was released around this time, with amazing songs! All by SPB apart from the one by "Ilaiya thalaivali's maama" :)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Kaaval Geetham all SPB songs again , never heard of it :|
Magudam by SR + BP remember seeing the film, cant recall any songs!

Has Vanna vanna pookal being discussed ? :roll:

app_engine
24th April 2012, 10:12 PM
App Anna

There was Karthik + Revathy movie called "Deivavakku" it hada song by SPB called "Oru Paatale Solli adipEn" , quite a good song

Never heard before and hence skipped...

app_engine
24th April 2012, 10:13 PM
I've already mentioned about magudam (never heard before). Same thing applies to 'innisai mazhai'.

If those were hits, they'll make it to 'app-missed-list' for the future :-)

vaNNa vaNNa pookkaL - I'm yet to get into. Same is the case with kAval geetham. (Both don't ring a bell in the brain, need to listen once to confirm).

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 10:17 PM

I think this is the song, some one pls confirm it (No Audio Disabled in office)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=okTYU66n2AY

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 10:22 PM
vaNNa vaNNa pookkaL - I'm yet to get into. Same is the case with kAval geetham. (Both don't ring a bell in the brain, need to listen once to confirm).

Prashanth movie directed by BM, the best two songs went to KJY :) SPB one is called "kOzhi koovum nerathilaKolam pOttu pakalama "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581pqnD4eSk&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
24th April 2012, 10:25 PM
to 'innisai mazhai'.

Well me being in London wouldn't know that, but the songs were great and It had new comers, pls listen to a song by SPB + SJ called "vaa vaa kanmani vaasal thediva" you will be amazed by IR's drums arrangement!!!

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm_zzDKEwcI&feature=player_detailpageotworthy:

app_engine
24th April 2012, 10:38 PM
#360 காலையில் கேட்டது கோவில் மணி
(செந்தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு, 1992 , ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3280'&lang=en)

'kAlaiyil kEttadhu kOvil maNi' from senthamizhppAttu, with Swarnalatha

We've discussed MTK a while ago i.e. precisely during the last few days of 2011. That 1986 music, the first of MSV-IR combo, is one of the best ever albums in TFM IMHO. One of my most favourite music albums of any kind. That way, in a normal situation, I should have been in great anticipation for their next one and should have been closely following it.

But then, things weren't that way in 1992 - as any reader on this thread could have easily discerned. I was busy with many other things and was simply not following the happenings in TFM like before. The only connections were songs heard during travels or when Kovai vAnoli played a few among tons of advts. Very few movies were watched and there too it was Malayalam / Thamizh 50/50 mix. Net result, I didn't have a copy of this album at any point of time. Neither was I looking forward with expectations etc.

Now, to sum up, this album is nowhere near MTK. Not in catchiness / brilliance / innovation (all IMO) and definitely not in reach (no need to say IMO, most possibly a fact). Still, I chanced to hear a few songs every now and then during travels and this is the best among them. I'm not a big fan of SL's singing in this song but SPB maintains his great levels and ensures minimum standard. IR has provided sweet orchestration, possibly to a MSV melody.

I think this was a Prabhu-P Vasu movie. I'm not sure how MSV came into this project. (Most of us have read about what AVM S wrote as to how MSV became part of MTK).

Devaraagam
24th April 2012, 10:46 PM
I think this was a Prabhu-P Vasu movie. I'm not sure how MSV came into this project. (Most of us have read about what AVM S wrote as to how MSV became part of MTK).

App, MSV son murali was the producer for this movie and even for the subsequent combo. Of MSV and IR

app_engine
25th April 2012, 12:05 AM
App, MSV son murali was the producer for this movie and even for the subsequent combo. Of MSV and IR

appadeengaLA?

nanRi, for the information!

genesis
25th April 2012, 01:49 AM
#360 காலையில் கேட்டது கோவில் மணி
(செந்தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு, 1992 , ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3280'&lang=en)

I think this was a Prabhu-P Vasu movie.

P.Vasu tried to pull-off one more CT with STP. This song and "Chinna Chinna Thooral" are great songs from this album. (IMHO, I would rate this album higher than CT).

ok, let me come to the point: P.Vasu was way ahead of this time in this movie!!! This was the first movie in the history of Tamil films, where the heroine(Sukanya) rapes the hero(Prabhu).

Once again, hats off to you PV sir!!!

venkkiram
25th April 2012, 02:09 AM
ok, let me come to the point: P.Vasu was way ahead of this time in this movie!!! This was the first movie in the history of Tamil films, where the heroine(Sukanya) rapes the hero(Prabhu). ஹ ஹா!! இதுக்கே இப்படின்னா, பெண்ணை இறந்து போன ஆவி வன்புணர்ச்சி செய்யும் சில திகில் படங்கள் தமிழில் வந்திருக்கிறது.

Once again, hats off to you PV sir!!! இது வஞ்சப்புகழ்ச்சியா? பிவாசு கொஞ்சம் மனம் பிறழ்வுள்ள ஆசாமி! விதவைக்கு பொட்டு வைக்கும் வில்லன்கள். இன்னொரு படத்தில் கதாநாயகி மாட்டுவண்டி பின்புறமாக சாய்ந்துவிடாமல் தடுக்கும் வண்ணம் முகத்தடியை இரு கைகளாலும் தாங்கிப்பிடிக்கும் வேளையில் வில்லன் அவளது இடுப்பில் கைவைப்பான்.

jaiganes
25th April 2012, 02:55 AM
ஹ ஹா!! இதுக்கே இப்படின்னா, பெண்ணை இறந்து போன ஆவி வன்புணர்ச்சி செய்யும் சில திகில் படங்கள் தமிழில் வந்திருக்கிறது.

இது வஞ்சப்புகழ்ச்சியா? பிவாசு கொஞ்சம் மனம் பிறழ்வுள்ள ஆசாமி! விதவைக்கு பொட்டு வைக்கும் வில்லன்கள். இன்னொரு படத்தில் கதாநாயகி மாட்டுவண்டி பின்புறமாக சாய்ந்துவிடாமல் தடுக்கும் வண்ணம் முகத்தடியை இரு கைகளாலும் தாங்கிப்பிடிக்கும் வேளையில் வில்லன் அவளது இடுப்பில் கைவைப்பான்.
villain vera enna pannuvaan. ippollaam herove andha maadhiri velayai seidhu vidugiraargaL...

baroque
25th April 2012, 06:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOfAOcsK18

app_eng,

:redjump::redjump::redjump::redjump:

Ilayarajavin SUDDHA DHANYASI rag potteengala for this evening!

Romantic!

vinatha

al_gates
25th April 2012, 11:42 AM
Now, to sum up, this album is nowhere near MTK. Not in catchiness / brilliance / innovation (all IMO) and definitely not in reach (no need to say IMO, most possibly a fact).

Am I the only one who disagrees with the reach of this album? Senthamizhpattu was a Diwali 92 release and by this time, the Aug 15 released Roja songs had been playing ad nauseam on tape recorders in every shop, from the the mouths of children playing in the street, from students solving problems in class. So while Roja had its customary airtime, post Diwali it was Senthamizhpattu and Devar Magan which got decent airtime. I recall many a Saturday morning in winter of 92, while I was ploughing through Multiple angles problems in trigonometry in the Maths tuition(Prove that sin A sin 2A sin 3A + cos A cos 2A cos 3A = 1/2), the traffic noise would be interjected with the line 'nenjil pongum paadal enna?'' from the Nair bakery on the other side of the road.
I'm pretty sure that in a playlist of 10 songs that winter, atleast one senthamizhpattu song would make it.

Now all this is before Ejamaan of Feb 93.

PS: These were the precious few months before satellite tv tamil channels came up starting with Sun in Apr 93.

Plum, trust you to come up with arcane nuggets like Kannadasn's May song :D

app_engine
25th April 2012, 06:33 PM
nanRi, baroque!

I couldn't continue the youtube beyond the fruit-thinnal :oops: enna directionO :-(

al_gates,
MTK had great impact outside TN!
SP was hardly heard in Palakkad, for e.g. (where rOjA was a tsunami)!

Nerd
25th April 2012, 06:40 PM
STP was definitely huge inside TN. Agree with app, not as good as MTK. My first IR CD (they started coming out around late 93) was STP/Devar Magan. My first ever CD was Gentleman/Duet :-) Both released by pyramid audios. They cost around Rs. 400 :shock:

PARAMASHIVAN
25th April 2012, 06:49 PM
(where rOjA was a tsunami)!

Yes , over here every one went crazy with Roja songs, esp Kadhal Rojave was a massive hit amongst Lankan Tamils. While the Arabic KadalOram was Fav amongst school kids! I remember me sitting in my Uncle's car and asking him to put this song and "Konjum nIlavum" from Thiruda Thiruda at Full blast with car windows fully open :lol: While we were driving all the English people were starring at us ! :lol: Cos at that Indian Music and Bolloywood never existed for them !

app_engine
25th April 2012, 08:31 PM
They cost around Rs. 400 :shock:

It was T-Series that killed such aniyAya prices to CDs (IIRC, I got three CDs - QSQT+TEzAb, Ashiqui, sAjan+salAmi each below Rs 100 in Bangalore during 90's).

Unfortunately, that T-Series guy got aniyAyamA killed :-(

app_engine
25th April 2012, 08:39 PM
Param,
rOjA / TT / gentleman / kAdhalan / Bombay / Jeans - all those I had only as cassettes, only the later ones got into the home as CDs. (I had a Panasonic "walkman" -costing $30 or so- gifted to me in 1995 during the first U.S. trip by our TT partner, cassette players were still popular, and the song 'kAdhalikkum peNNin' by SPB / Udit sounded so good in that! One of my most fav ARR numbers ever, despite having slight inspiration from 'don't worry, be happy')

PARAMASHIVAN
25th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Param,
rOjA / TT / gentleman / kAdhalan / Bombay / Jeans - all those I had only as cassettes, only the later ones got into the home as CDs. (I had a Panasonic "walkman" -costing $30 or so- gifted to me in 1995 during the first U.S. trip by our TT partner, cassette players were still popular, and the song 'kAdhalikkum peNNin' by SPB / Udit sounded so good in that! One of my most fav ARR numbers ever, despite having slight inspiration from 'don't worry, be happy')

Yes I was not talking about CD's :) over here Roja was in the form of cassettes as well :)

app_engine
25th April 2012, 10:14 PM
#361 சொல்லி சொல்லி வந்ததில்லை
(செந்தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு, 1992 , சுனந்தாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3282'&lang=en)

'solli solli vandhadhillai' from senthamizhppAttu, with Sunanda

Sweet song, SPB sounds nice!

Now, after briefly watching that Prabhu-pazham-thinnal scene plus the comments by genesis, I'm really scared about this movie :lol2: I don't think I've watched any Sukanya movie in theater. (Even on video, only very few of hers I've seen...mahAnadhi, walter V, innaththa chinthA vishayam and may be a couple others where she did side role in recent times). Was this song on her?

She must have been among the bolder variety (i.e. among the lead ladies of prior gen), though having a 'pAvam, onnumE theriyAdha pAppA' kind of face. Ofcourse, Prabhu never had any image-related-restrictions ever, I think he did all kinds of roles (has anyone here watched 'rAgangaL mARuvathillai' besides me? :lol2:)

Like the other songs of the album, familiar to me only thru radio / bus. Never in the playlists and this song reminds me of pre-80's TFM (possibly MSV effect).

Sureshs65
25th April 2012, 10:28 PM
Personally I feel MSV's presence in many of the SenthamizhPaatu songs. One song in particular has phrases which are very close to the 'Avargal' song. My feeling is that most of the tunes were MSV's with Raja providing the orchestration. So in a way these songs must go as MSV-SPB combination songs :D

Sureshs65
25th April 2012, 10:30 PM
And App I think it is this song, 'solli solli' which has a lot of MSV effect.

Plum
25th April 2012, 10:40 PM
App, Sukanya was a peculiar animal. She walked out of Parthiban's Ulle Veliye because of the risque scenes but then did STP, TMTPazhani and the likes. Both were released on diwali I think along with Raasukutty and a few more IR ones. And I guess it came as a shock to the "paavam chinna pappA sukanya" believers. Someone should make a list for this Diwali - probably involved 5-6 ir albums.

Murali Srinivas
25th April 2012, 11:55 PM
App,

How can you say nobody would have watched Raagangal Maaruvadhillai? I have watched it and most probably Rakesh and Plum would have also seen it, I believe. As you rightly pointed out it was a character with negative shades. Prabhu had pulled it off in a decent manner. Inspired heavily fom Iruvar Ullam, this was the movie with with Director Sirumugai Ravi debuted. I think he went on to do few more films. You covered that movie in this thread.

Regards

baroque
26th April 2012, 02:36 AM
pazham sappadaradhu... haa! haa! ! avar love pannindu erukkar, ungalukku enna!:-D

kandukkadheenga....

now solli solli......poignancy :musicsmile:

My favorite amma song along with naanaaga naanillai...., amma endrazhikkadha....ETC..

thanks.

I have this composition in SOLLA MARANDHA KADHAI + DEEPAVALI ENNADHA ILAYARAJA , cd.

groucho070
26th April 2012, 07:19 AM
app, Murali-sir is right, but I have not revisited it as adult. Thendralo TheeYoo (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%26%232986%3B%26%233009%3B%26%232980%3B%26%233009% 3B%26%232986%3B%26%233021%3B%26%232986%3B%26%23300 9%3B%26%232980%3B%26%233009%3B-%26%232949%3B%26%232992%3B%26%233021%3B%26%232980% 3B%26%233021%3B%26%232980%3B%26%232969%3B%26%23302 1%3B%26%232965%3B%26%232995%3B%26%233021%3B-songs&p=727524&viewfull=1#post727524) is an awesome song.

Plum
26th April 2012, 03:20 PM
MS, no I havent seen Raagangal Maaruvadhillai. Infact, not many of Prabhu's Honeycomb thalai days in the 80s.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2012, 03:32 PM
STP la apadi enna Sukanya panninaanga :huh: ellarom oru mathiriya pEsureenga ? :roll:

app_engine
26th April 2012, 07:07 PM
Sureshji,
Yes, you're spot on!

Murali sir,
:-) chummA oru viLaiyAttukkukkEttEn, kshamikkaNum :-)

Plum & baroque,
:-)

groucho,
With Prabhu & Ambika on screen, neenga pArkkAma irundhA thAn athisayam :-)

Param,
Please go back a couple of pages and read the comment by genesis ; also watch the youtube of 'kAlaiyil kEttadhu' posted by baroque :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Param,
Please go back a couple of pages and read the comment by genesis ; also watch the youtube of 'kAlaiyil kEttadhu' posted by baroque :wink:

oh athuva :lol2: :lol2:

app_engine
26th April 2012, 09:44 PM
#362 சின்னச்சின்ன தூறல் என்ன
(செந்தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு, 1992 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3278'&lang=en)

'chinnachinna thooRal enna' from senthamizhppAttu

SPB excels in this song, singing in his "conforming to rAsA specs" style. The melody, however, is neither like rAjA's nor MSV's :roll: It's styled around those smaller composers, like V Kumar, and has the strong 70's smell again. There's rAsA style orchestration that makes one feel this as an IR song but stripped of that, it sounds to me like 'madhanORchavam' 'samsAram enbadhu veeNai' 'mariA my dArling' 'azhagOviyam mOnAlisA' 'oru jeevan thAn' kind of a song, not typical of IR or MSV. Once again, these two genius composers cannot be easily contained in definitions but the statement is more linked to my mental expectations.

Despite my liking for SPB, I haven't developed a great taste for his songs outside the MSV-IR-TR domain. There're exceptions without question (my all-time-SPB-favs include unnai nAn pArthadhu, samsAram enbadhu veeNai, ivaL dEvadhai for e.g.) but I'm generally not a big fan of that genre of songs. So, chinnachchinna fails to excite me and does not make me listen to this again and again. Also, I'm not enthusiastic about searching out the youtube (for obvious reasons :wink:).

I'm sure the song was a hit as I've heard it involuntarily many times. That way, it sure deserves a place in this compilation. Just that it's an unexciting hit.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th April 2012, 10:18 PM
. Also, I'm not enthusiastic about searching out the youtube (for obvious reasons :wink:).

:lol2: ithula Suganya aunty illa , :lol2: Kasthoori aunty :yessir:

app_engine
26th April 2012, 11:25 PM
That song ended senthamizhppAttu.

Like I said, 364 & 365 will be from HR's favourite. That gives a slot for a "one song" movie from this year. May be another Prabhu movie tomorrow also (Pandiththurai)...

genesis
26th April 2012, 11:26 PM
#362 சின்னச்சின்ன தூறல் என்ன
(செந்தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு, 1992 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3278'&lang=en)
I'm generally not a big fan of that genre of songs. So, chinnachchinna fails to excite me and does not make me listen to this again and again. Also, I'm not enthusiastic about searching out the youtube (for obvious reasons :wink:).

I'm sure the song was a hit as I've heard it involuntarily many times. That way, it sure deserves a place in this compilation. Just that it's an unexciting hit.

I am not surprised... you did not like Andharangam yavume from Anyiram Nilave Vaa. I guess that one also falls in the same genre?! (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=721231&viewfull=1#post721231).

This song remains most favorite from this album... I always wished they did not include the female dubbing artist comments in the song, it spoils the mood of song to extend. This song also has decent lyrics which was becoming rare during this period in IR songs (hate the penpura thambura in the other song). The video of this song is also not that bad.... here you go:

நஞ்சை மண்ணும், புஞ்சை மண்ணும், நீயும் வந்தால் பொன்னாய் மின்னும்!
உனது பெருமை உலகம் அறியும்,
இடியெனும் இசை முழங்கிட வரும், மழையெனும் மகளே,!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Q8Yv6kLBg

baroque
27th April 2012, 01:45 AM
:musicsmile:

Forever favorite Rain song, App_eng.

Yesterday evening, It was raining in San jose!

I prepared Spicy and hearty Channa masala-Chole for dinner, enjoyed some compositions.

My JADHI MALLI chedi, full of flowers, aroma is amazing! delightful mood yesterday evening, App_eng!

இந்த பாட்டு இந்த environment லே கேட்டு பாருங்க! LOVE IT!:ty:

Rain songs are IMMORTAL in our films, One of my favorite activity during Monsoon days are listening to film songs while doing home work or reading novels calmly sitting our veettu thinnai! :-D

Vinatha.

V_S
27th April 2012, 02:17 AM
vinatha,
Very nice description of the song, absolutely!. :thumbsup: Yes, Beautiful and apt song for monsoon days!

baroque
27th April 2012, 03:08 AM
:swinghead:

al_gates
27th April 2012, 05:19 AM
One of those must-happen days...
-Decide to work from home
-Take a break to leave kids in pre-school, wife in mall(shouldnt be a frequent thing though!)
-Quick stopover for lunch with spouse
-review spouse's clothes/toys/books purchases
-Get back home, work
-Make a home made frappuccino, while sipping it, visit tfmpage and read App_Engine's series with music on.

Perfect day, App Sir, thank you :)

app_engine
27th April 2012, 08:24 PM
baroque,
Nice pictures!
Enjoy the rain - me too love rain (nowadays only when inside a building) :-)

al_gates,
yw :-)

app_engine
27th April 2012, 10:27 PM
#363 கானக்கருங்குயிலே கச்சேரிக்கு வா வா
(பாண்டித்துரை, 1992, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2544'&lang=en)

'gAnakkarunguyilE' from pANdiththurai, with SL

Lovely, sweet song from a movie unknown to me prior to this thread exercise. The song is strongly recalled however, thanks to those bus rides around the Madurai area. This song must have been reasonably popular those days, especially in the rural areas of TN. Very enjoyable & soothing number sung nicely by SPB & SL. Such songs are always enjoyable despite some 'engEyO kEtta' feelings popping up (the mind keeps jumping to some other songs such as 'magiLam poovE unnaippArththEn mayangippOnEn' & 'vaLLi vaLLi ena vandhAL')

Googling says this is another Prabhu-Kushbu movie and the director is Raj Kapoor. There are no other details that I'm aware of, as in the case of many movies of 1992. IR must have been producing songs like a machine those days. He was so prolific as a composer and also could use a lot more permutation & combinations of Ezhu (plus anju karuppukkattai) swarangal and multiple octaves than the kavingarkaL he associated with those days who had severe limitations both ways. One was their own capability and the second being the limited 'permuations / combinations' allowed by the language that can result in meaningful poems.

There had been more than a few 'gAna karunguyil' songs in TFM. At least 3 I can quickly remember from IR music and each of them has the katchEri word too - 'gAnakkarunguyilE kachchEri vaikkappOREn' (KJY, poonthOttakkAvalkAran), 'gAnakkarunguyilE kachchErikku variyA variyA' (Sethu, wiki says the singer is Kovai Kamala) & this pANdiththurai softie. (Interestingly, katchEri's original meaning is court I think which later got attached to pAttu as pAttukkatchEri :-) )

Well, in one way, this song is so fitting to the happenings at home during this beautiful spring week :-) Immediately after waking up yesterday and this morning, I'm greeted with sweet kuyil sounds around the home, along with chirps of chittukkuruvees:-) These mornings simply remind me of the village childhood when on occasions I'll be onRified with the kuyil sounds for very long durations.

Interestingly, a lazy me finally set-up a "bird feeder" last week in the backyard - after many days of pushing by my wife & daughter. It's really a fabulous sight to see wild birds in the backyard, including that beautiful red coloured cardinal!

app_engine
27th April 2012, 10:39 PM
Now, we are ready to start the two "year-end" movies :wink:

While the #366 slot is reserved for the winner 'sAmi kitta' of AvArampoo, the songs #364 & #365, of the weekend, should be from chinna gounder :-)

So, HR, get ready to give us a long post :-)

Murali Srinivas
27th April 2012, 11:55 PM
App,

Pandidurai was the next film that came out under the banner of KB films, which was run by K.Balu who produced Chinna Thambi. Normally if a movie becomes hit, the winning combo would be retained. But somehow P.Vasu couldn't do this and instead Manoj Kumar, [not Raj Kapoor] brother-in-law of Bharathi Raja directed the movie that came out on Pongal day of 1992 along with Mannan. That must explain you the reason of P.Vasu not doing Pandidurai since he was directing Rajini. Not only that, his another movie Rickshaw Mama also came out on the same day. Add to it the movie Kizhakku Karai which had Prabhu and Kushboo (again) was directed by Vasu but that got released in Sep 1991. Pandidurai though definitely not a hit in the range of Chinna Thambi was nevertheless a money spinning one.

On the side lines [since you talked about Raj Kapoor], after making a successful directorial debut with Thaalaattu Ketkuthammaa in 1991, Raj Kapoor did another Prabhu movie this time with Kushboo in the same year 1992 [April], the name of the movie being Uthhama Raasaa that became more famous for the kudumi wig sported by Prabhu which had a strong resemblance to the wig worn by NT in Pattikkaada Pattanamaa.

Regards

jaiganes
28th April 2012, 12:23 AM
#363 கானக்கருங்குயிலே கச்சேரிக்கு வா வா
(பாண்டித்துரை, 1992, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2544'&lang=en)

'gAnakkarunguyilE' from pANdiththurai, with SL

Lovely, sweet song from a movie unknown to me prior to this thread exercise. The song is strongly recalled however, thanks to those bus rides around the Madurai area. This song must have been reasonably popular those days, especially in the rural areas of TN. Very enjoyable & soothing number sung nicely by SPB & SL. Such songs are always enjoyable despite some 'engEyO kEtta' feelings popping up (the mind keeps jumping to some other songs such as 'magiLam poovE unnaippArththEn mayangippOnEn' & 'vaLLi vaLLi ena vandhAL')

Googling says this is another Prabhu-Kushbu movie and the director is Raj Kapoor. There are no other details that I'm aware of, as in the case of many movies of 1992. IR must have been producing songs like a machine those days. He was so prolific as a composer and also could use a lot more permutation & combinations of Ezhu (plus anju karuppukkattai) swarangal and multiple octaves than the kavingarkaL he associated with those days who had severe limitations both ways. One was their own capability and the second being the limited 'permuations / combinations' allowed by the language that can result in meaningful poems.

There had been more than a few 'gAna karunguyil' songs in TFM. At least 3 I can quickly remember from IR music and each of them has the katchEri word too - 'gAnakkarunguyilE kachchEri vaikkappOREn' (KJY, poonthOttakkAvalkAran), 'gAnakkarunguyilE kachchErikku variyA variyA' (Sethu, wiki says the singer is Kovai Kamala) & this pANdiththurai softie. (Interestingly, katchEri's original meaning is court I think which later got attached to pAttu as pAttukkatchEri :-) )

Well, in one way, this song is so fitting to the happenings at home during this beautiful spring week :-) Immediately after waking up yesterday and this morning, I'm greeted with sweet kuyil sounds around the home, along with chirps of chittukkuruvees:-) These mornings simply remind me of the village childhood when on occasions I'll be onRified with the kuyil sounds for very long durations.

Interestingly, a lazy me finally set-up a "bird feeder" last week in the backyard - after many days of pushing by my wife & daughter. It's really a fabulous sight to see wild birds in the backyard, including that beautiful red coloured cardinal!
Absolute horrible movie which ran for 100 days thanks to Kalyan Jewellery mascot and Ex Jackpot aunty chemistry - physics biology + Silk + Gounder.
Fate had a cruel trick up its sleeve when I had to see the same torture magnified 100 times in Hindi with Kalyan Jewellers replaced by yaatra.com and Ex Jackpot aunty replaced by Maanada Mayilaada judge settled in canada..

Vidhi Valiyadhu.. traumatic memories have been ki9dled on an otherwise nice Friday...

HonestRaj
28th April 2012, 12:37 AM
Now, we are ready to start the two "year-end" movies :wink:

While the #366 slot is reserved for the winner 'sAmi kitta' of AvArampoo, the songs #364 & #365, of the weekend, should be from chinna gounder :-)

So, HR, get ready to give us a long post :-)

i'm no expert - no musical..
i'm waiting to read the experience of those who listened & watched when it released... it is one of the reasons why i follow this thread

HonestRaj
28th April 2012, 01:13 AM
#223 மீண்டும் மீண்டும் வா
(விக்ரம், 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4067'&lang=en)

Well, when Bobby was screened in the college audi, I was in total :shock: that a girl could be so beautiful! Well, by then she was divorced and was acting in a Hindi movie with Kamal (sAgar).

when I saw few scenes of Bobby... she was acting as Salman Khan's mother in Dabangg..
reminds me TR dialogue... azhagungradhu thanniyila pOtta soappu madhiri.. neram aaga aaga karanjudum... anbungradhu thanniyila pOtta kallu madhiri.. karaiyaadhu.. :lol2:

Avadi to America
28th April 2012, 02:02 AM

app_engine, songs were very good... most of the songs sung by ilayaraja himself.
my favourite is "Intha ammanuku entha ooru kettu konjam kuru...."

Avadi to America
28th April 2012, 02:20 AM
Sundarrajan has done a duet with IR - I believe raagas-kann covered it in the other thread. This is IR's own May song (remember Kannadasan's May song?). Grouch - I don't think anyone in the world has watched TMPC in full. GM-SR scenes and SR-Sukanya "scenes" mattum dhaan bONi Agi irukkumnu nenaikkaREn . It is amazing our directors take their stories seriously and come up with emotional/rowdramana/actionpacked climaxes, when comedy times and midnight masalas remind us time and again that it is only the comedy scenes and matter songs that endure. I can understand the ambitious ones like paruthiveeran having a bloody climax(climax maketh the film). But why do TMT Pazhanis take themselves seriously? Every single viewing of this film stops when the emosanal scenes start...not just for me but for everyone I know. RSundar will well do to heed this and address this in his comeback film. We have some decent comedic talent - adhai apdiye maindain pannungappA - we don't take you seriously when you go all emosan and sendiment on us. Also, a note on Sathyaraj - probably the least among the top heroes of his time when it comes to getting emotional and aakrosham(remember wlater vetrivel?). Even Sarathkumar does better.

Enna eppadi soliteenga.... Pandian padam pakka pogalamunu poonamallie sundar theatre ponna anga ticket kediakala... sari devar magan padaam pakkalamunu try panni athukum kedaikama.... poonamaliie vigneshwara theatrela intha padam parthen.... padathula goundae comedy was very good especially in the first off.

HonestRaj
28th April 2012, 02:54 AM
oh.. TMPC'na Thirumathi Pazhanichamy'ah... I watched during release time in Theater'nga... chose TMPC over Rasukutty then

V_S
28th April 2012, 04:17 AM
Great post App and my most heard and favorite song that time more for Swarnalatha. Great information Murali sir on Prabhu movies. Yes Raj Kapoor has become an actor just like other directors of that time.I believe he was the director of some Karthik movies too, like Chinna jameen and Seemaan. Prabhu-Kushboo starrer movies were rage that time mainly because they made a wonderful pair and also because of their closeness. Prabhu is the only actor who does the same number of films then and now. A rare phenomenon!.

app_engine
29th April 2012, 08:56 AM
nanRi Murali sir, for the details on Pandiththurai & the correction of the director's name!

nanRi V_Sji, for the kind words!

nanRi A2A & HR for the visit :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 02:43 PM
I always wished they did not include the female dubbing artist comments in the song, it spoils the mood of song to extend.

Yes, that was the annoying factor of the song !

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 02:46 PM
:.

Vinatha akka

Is that your Garden in the attachment ?? :thumbsup:

app_engine
30th April 2012, 07:20 PM
Three songs - #364, #365 & #366 are due today!

And with that this compilation exercise will complete one year :-)

I'll work thru today to get kooNdukkuLLa, muthu maNi mAlai & sAmi kitta solli posted :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 07:30 PM
I'll work thru today to get kooNdukkuLLa, muthu maNi mAlai & sAmi kitta solli posted :-)

These songs didn't go that well with me, cos PS sounded really matured in this song, she sounded more like SPB's mum rather than sis :yessir:

Aanast Raaj,

Aaiye AaiyeE

app_engine
30th April 2012, 09:24 PM
#364 கூண்டுக்குள்ள என்ன வச்சு
(சின்னக்கவுண்டர், 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0487'&lang=en)

'kooNdukkuLLa enna vachchu' from chinnakkounder, with SJ

A middle aged woman used to make our childhood summer holidays at the grand parents' home in the hot Ramnad district so memorable, with her afternoon shouts : 'mAlappathani nongoo'! I have waited for that sound on a number of days and run with such a thrill to the compound gate to invite the lady and walk behind her. As she slowly gets her big koodai down from the head and settle down under the vEppa maram to relax a bit after walking in the hot sunlight, we'll be surrounding her in great expectation!

After she parts with those delicious goodies -collecting what I would say her meagre reward from grandmA for the hard work - we'll have such a great time enjoying the precious nongu that's on the tongue only for a very short moment and instantaneously slips into the throat just like that! I can recall the childish thrill of opening the nongu and getting that sweet few drops of liquid fall on the tongue -delishshious!

This song is like those few sweet drops and the nice iLam nongu on a hot summer! For some reason, the movie's title / posters all remind me of a hot summer and palm trees. (May be because Vijayakanth had an umbrella). I have never seen the movie and its release time period had nothing common with hot summer but the panai maram stuff somehow got embedded in my mind, for some inexplicable reason.

If anything, it should have been thennai maram - I think the movie setting has Pollachi, which is famous for thEngAi / iLani & not so much of panangAi which is more assoicated with mid / south TN. My then-dwelling-place, Palakkad, was also a coconut & watery place and had no relation with panai maram whatsoever. However, as we all know, the mind is such a complex thing and it can connect / combine entities without any relation in an unusual manner.

SPB & SJ are in good form here and rAsA too got totally charged up for this album, possibly with some nice story telling by RVU. (I'm not a big fan of 'kaNNu padappOguthayyA' but love his 'andha vAnaththppOla manam padaiththa' - what a song!).

Well, after we finish this 'kooNdukkuLLa' nongu at Virudhupatti (old name, I saw milestones there with that name, known to us as 'Virudhunagar'), let's go back to my village in Maduari district and have another sweet treat from the tall trees...

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 09:52 PM
App anna

Isn't Nongu the younger vesrion of Panam pazham ?

And this is Nongu right ?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Fruits_of_Borassus_flabellifer.jpg

app_engine
30th April 2012, 09:58 PM
Param,
That picture shows 'panangAi' (or panam pazham).

nongu is the kernel inside it, when it's still tender (typically, there'll be three nongu's in one panangAi).

Check out this link:
http://www.sangkavi.com/2011/04/blog-post_16.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bKIx15Ci0IU/TakrbXWexMI/AAAAAAAABWo/GWO-VL0BMt4/s1600/noongu+2.JPG

PARAMASHIVAN
30th April 2012, 10:23 PM
Oh thanks app anna, I remember eating it when i was about 6 or 7 , but forgotten how it looked like :(

app_engine
30th April 2012, 10:58 PM
#365 முத்து மணி மாலை
(சின்னக்கவுண்டர், 1992 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0488'&lang=en)

'muthu maNi mAlai' of chinnakkavundar, with PS

'padha neer', that's how I would like to call this song! That is, the non-alcoholic sweettO sweet drink, because limestone prohibits the liquid from panai (or even thennai) maram from becoming kaLLu. Some kudimakans here might like to call this song Toddy and I'm fine with that too, as the song is as intoxicating as it is sweet...

So, with limestone that resembles Vijyakanth's shirt (or muthu the white pearl) to make it padha neer or without that chuNNAmbu to let it ferment as kaLLu, i.e. just the not-so-sophisticated-looking-Sukanya-girl, resembling a-day-old-toddy and not years-old-scotch or fine wine, this song is as tall as panai :wink: More on padhaneer here:
http://www.eegarai.net/t82106-topic

The flute & strings sounds, combined with some sensuous key board sounds (resembling maNikaL uruLal), the prelude sets such a lovely ambience and SPB jumps right into one's heart! Regardless of the fact that I'm not a big fan of SPB-PS combo, since they are individually in my hall of fame, many of their duets under IR have automatically become big favourites as well! I've lost count as to how many times I would have listened to this song over the years. Every now and then it goes on repeat in the car for days!

IMHO, PS seems to struggle a bit in some portions of this song (most probably due to age factor) but the voice is honey sweet and her modulations are brilliant to make the song so endearing! Often people say rAsA doesn't allow the singers to pack extra sangathees or improvise etc but IMHO he didn't do that with PS & SJ. Listen to any IR-PS song and one will be simply overwhelmed observing how much stuff she can pack into the song! (Another example that comes to mind is 'Eh thenRalE ini nALum pAda vA' of nenjaththaikkiLLAthE - check out the variations & value add PS brings to that song, stunning!)

Like I mentioned earlier, once this IR-SPB exercise is done, I'll relax but open a thread for the rAsAththi and post one IR-PS song per week (my plan is still to post in Thamizh and may be have a transliteration for those who cannot read unicode). Let's see how it goes!

Technically speaking, this number is also a "year-end-song" along with the next AvArampoo one and it had been a great journey for me personally to reminisce daily for a year, with SPB & IR in company! This song brings back memories of listening to this song around our first 'anniversary' also in that beautiful rented home of Palakkad that had huge backyard with all kinds of trees :-)

IIRC, I had the cassette of this album but this song was listened mostly otherwise - radio, buses and other PA modes. Hugely popular - both the songs and the movie those days! The songs were so popular that movies came out with the names 'vAnaththaippOla ', 'kaNNu padappOguthaiyA' etc (Is there a 'muthu maNi' movie also?)

Perhaps one of the biggest hits for Vijayakanth in his career (as well as the most notorious one for him for the MDMK sinnam :wink:)

baroque
30th April 2012, 11:30 PM
:ty: Param.. My son loves gardening, he planted Navel orange tree...5 ft dhaan, it started giving me fruits now...

yeah... my home grown oranges are as sweet as Ilayaraja's KOONDUKKULA UNNAI ......flute mesmerizer from Tabala ilayaraja!

http://s16.postimage.org/g3wldap4l/my_oragne_tree.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free image hosting (http://postimage.org/)

enkitta nongu illai.... I offer cool & sweet oranges! YUMMY, COLOURFUL & REFRESHING!

vinatha.

buggle
30th April 2012, 11:42 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, once this IR-SPB exercise is done, I'll relax but open a thread for the rAsAththi and post one IR-PS song per week (my plan is still to post in Thamizh and may be have a transliteration for those who cannot read unicode). Let's see how it goes!

Any plans to start a thread for SJ solo hits in IR baton?

baroque
30th April 2012, 11:44 PM
yeah... app_eng, save susheela praises, emotions, thoughts for your highly expected IR-Sushi picks--my favorite series!

yeah... I think most of us Ilayaraja fans prefer Janaki with S.P.B than Sushi though she is sweet!

R.V.Udhayakumar with Ilayaraja is a superb combo!

தபலா இளையராஜாவின் sindhu bhairavi முத்து மணி மாலை.... சின்ன கவுண்டர், bells, violin, synthesizer, flute:musicsmile:

app_engine
1st May 2012, 12:21 AM
Any plans to start a thread for SJ solo hits in IR baton?

illeenga sir...may be after retirement :-) There're just too many!

baroque,
Nice pictures again! Good for your son!

nanRi for your encouragement & kind words!

app_engine
1st May 2012, 12:35 AM
Now, here comes the year end / anniversary / grand #366 in a short while...

Devaraagam
1st May 2012, 01:02 AM
App, thanks for your patience to post one song per day, I know it need gr8 effort and thanks for that. Waiting for the final post on this thread but I feel still lot more are there and you can continue this for another 3 to 6 months with SPB

Devaraagam
1st May 2012, 01:04 AM
Param,
That picture shows 'panagAi' (or panam pazham).

nongu is the kernel inside it, when it's still tender (typically, there'll be three nongu's in one panangAi).

Check out this link:
http://www.sangkavi.com/2011/04/blog-post_16.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bKIx15Ci0IU/TakrbXWexMI/AAAAAAAABWo/GWO-VL0BMt4/s1600/noongu+2.JPG

Nungu ellam parathu pala varusham aachu . Thanks to make recollect its tender and sweetness.

app_engine
1st May 2012, 01:39 AM
#366 சாமி கிட்ட சொல்லி வச்சு சேர்ந்ததிந்த செல்லக்கிளியே
(ஆவாரம்பூ, 1992, ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0079'&lang=en)

'sAmi kitta solli vachchu' from AvArampoo, with SJ

OK, finally, one complete year of SPB-IR hit songs, one per day!

Without many gaps (actually the only days missed were when Mrs IR passed away & the hub got hacked, all others I've caught up with)!

What a tremendous feeling and I'm definitely proud of this! (Plum, the crusader against humility, must be happy :wink:)

While this song is deemed fit to fill this slot by the majority who voted on this thread, I myself have not personally listened to this song 100's of times or anything like that. And that is somewhat an anti-climax to the story :-) Actually, I had not paid attention to this song for a full decade from its release :shock: Even when I got first introduced to the album in the year 2002, it didn't catch on me like fire or anything like that - neither do I longingly play the songs often, other than occasionally listening to them at thiraippAdal.

Though those are facts, the intro of this album was under an intersting setting and that's the story I talked about earlier in a post. It's time to share it now. I'll have to talk about a beloved co-worker at the Palakkad workplace now, who was such a terrific singer and entertainer during booze sessions (besides being a brilliant engineer)! Well, he got classically trained (per his family traditions) and was also gifted with a lovely voice. In addition, he was very friendly and nice guy and naturally popular in the circles :-) Whenever he was available for booze parties, it was invariable that at some point the singing starts (mostly Malayalam nAdan pAttukkaL or filmy semi-classicals of KJY) and everyone gets delirious & at times all sing along :-)

Unfortunately, at one point of time some tragedy struck him (death of a close relative) and he had to miss work for a few weeks. All of us missed him so much and decided to visit him in his Thrissur district home, in interior countryside! Started off in two cars (me driving one that played kAsi & azhagi songs non-stop), rainy evening on the NH called for some adventurous drive that continued after we left the highway too, due to horrible country roads. Finally when we reached his traditional illam, he was so thrilled and was in tears! We didn't spend a lot of time in his home but in that one hour or so, he shared his precious music collections with us...

That's when he played this AvArampoo cassette as one of his favourites :shock: Here I was, a HCIRF of a quarter century, given a lecture about the greatness of rAsA by a Malayali villager, demonstrating IR-specialities with 'sAmi kitta solli' & 'mandhiram', in a farm house deep inside Kerala! And, I'm hearing those songs for the first time :shock:

I was full of puLakAngitham that day - 'kaRRAraik kaRRArE kAmuRuvar' feeling toward that guy and also toward the director Bharatan! (The same engineer used a number of BGM pieces from the Malayalam movie Guru for a quiz later on). I had to gulp down a few shots on the way back at Vadakkancheri (the famous Diana hotel on the NH) to get grounded!

I believe the movie had Padmarajan's story but didn't do very well (I'm not surprised after seeing the picturization of that song with Vineeth). In any case, I'm happy that at least it helped Bharathan associate with IR on a couple of occasions :-)

app_engine
1st May 2012, 01:49 AM
nanRi, Devaraagam sir, for your kind words!

Looks like I'll be able to cross 400...there's mannan left in 1992 (and may be a few other songs). There're some more Rajini movies -vaLLi /ejamAn / veerA / uzhaippALi - and other odd ones here and there that should push for at least another month :-)

V_S
1st May 2012, 02:20 AM
Three great runs (#364, #365, #366) to complete one year.:smile: App, You are truly a greatest IR fan. Completing a year full of songs is not an easy task in the midst of your official and personal commitments. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:. What a commitment! You should cross Brian Lara's record and more. :wink:
Really loved your descriptions and analogy combined with nostalgic moments for all these three songs. Excellent posts. :clap: Thanks for reminding Nungu and padha neer. Nungu was my favorite during my childhood. I can bring out the scene which you described in front of me, as I too experienced almost similar situation.

This thread is the highlight of mayyam/hub. Keep it going App! :D

HonestRaj
1st May 2012, 02:37 AM
#364 கூண்டுக்குள்ள என்ன வச்சு
(சின்னக்கவுண்டர், 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0487'&lang=en)

'kooNdukkuLLa enna vachchu' from chinnakkounder, with SJ

I have never seen the movie

nesamathan solreengala :shock:

HonestRaj
1st May 2012, 02:42 AM
#365 முத்து மணி மாலை
(சின்னக்கவுண்டர், 1992 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0488'&lang=en)

innum niraiya edhirparthen... konjam yematrame :(

Sureshs65
1st May 2012, 12:29 PM
app,

I had very similar experience like yours, with the songs of the same movie, 'Avarampoo'. I was on my way to Silent Valley in Kerala and I was approaching it from the Mannarkad side. Mannarkkad also happens to be the place where one of my friends and a fellow hubber (rajaalltheway) stays. (He doesn't post much nowadays) We stopped at his house and he insisted we have evening tiffin at his house before proceeding to our destination. While we were chatting, he asked my wife, "Which is your favorite Raja song?". My wife was at a loss. Can there be one favorite song? She said she has many and asked him what his favorite song was. He chose, 'mandiram idhu' and sang it well. After singing first two lines of the charanam, he stopped and emphatically told, "This is the stamp of the MASTER. No one can do this!!!" That single sentence and the passion of his singing made my wife instantly realize how deep is his love for Raja. Same was the case with another friend called Dileep. After she heard him speak once, she immediately equated him to my Mannarkkad friend. She feels that guys like me are not as devoted fans of Raja as these folks are. In a way it is probably true.

Talking to many of the Raja fans can be an humbling experience. You get to see Raja's song from angles which you have never thought of earlier !!!

I guess the Malayalam original of Avarampoo, 'Thakara' was fairly a big hit in Kerala.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 02:24 PM
nesamathan solreengala :shock:
Nalla Vishaym thaanE :lol2:

Joking :)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 02:39 PM
IMHO, PS seems to struggle a bit in some portions of this song (most probably due to age factor)
Yes I have noticed that, She has a sweet voice, I love all her songs under MSV ( Just Listen to PS 'Manavan vanthanadi thozhi" :notworthy: was it MSV or KVM ??? )
than rAsA , IMHO SJ is the best choice for IR due to versatality/Complexity!

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 02:41 PM
innum niraiya edhirparthen... konjam yematrame :(

If there is no Expectations then there is no disappointments :)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 02:43 PM
Three great runs (#364, #365, #366) to complete one year.:smile: App, You are truly a greatest IR fan. Completing a year full of songs is not an easy task in the midst of your official and personal commitments. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:. What a commitment! You should cross Brian Lara's record and more. :wink:
:exactly: He is the Jambavan of this thread :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 02:52 PM
:ty: Param.. My son loves gardening, he planted Navel orange tree...5 ft dhaan, it started giving me fruits now...

:notworthy: seriously Gardening in USA must be a big thing, I find Gardening to be a pain over hear, you have to follow all the Government Legislations about disposing Garden waste, raw materials etc ! I stay away from that :)

Nerd
1st May 2012, 05:34 PM
App saar, congrats once again. Lovely posts the last 3. All of them my favorites.

So, we will start the new year with a Rajini song? :smokesmile:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 05:37 PM
So, we will start the new year with a Rajini song? :smokesmile:

1993 uzhaipalli??? If so 1992 is not finished yet. Meera songs are yet to come :)

Nerd
1st May 2012, 06:24 PM
1992-la mannan-nu oru padam release aachung. Adhula irunthu rajathiraja un thanthirangaL post panna pOREnnu pala dhadavai sollittaar app_engine.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st May 2012, 06:30 PM
1992-la mannan-nu oru padam release aachung. Adhula irunthu rajathiraja un thanthirangaL post panna pOREnnu pala dhadavai sollittaar app_engine.

To be honest , I found this song to be Ordinary according to rAsA's standards.

app_engine
1st May 2012, 08:00 PM
nanRi V_Sji, Param & Nerd for the kind words!

Interesting to read your post, Sureshji! I was expecting a post from you on AvArampoo & you didn't disappoint :-)

HR,
Sorry if I didn't meet the expectations...sattiyil uLLadhu dhAnE agappaiyil varum :oops:

Like Nerd said, let's have mannan for the start of year#2 of this compilation :-)
(Since AvArampoo had its day & glory, we'll catch up with adukku malli after mannan gets done :wink:)

jaiganes
1st May 2012, 09:07 PM
#366 சாமி கிட்ட சொல்லி வச்சு சேர்ந்ததிந்த செல்லக்கிளியே
(ஆவாரம்பூ, 1992, ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0079'&lang=en)

'sAmi kitta solli vachchu' from AvArampoo, with SJ

OK, finally, one complete year of SPB-IR hit songs, one per day!

Without many gaps (actually the only days missed were when Mrs IR passed away & the hub got hacked, all others I've caught up with)!

What a tremendous feeling and I'm definitely proud of this! (Plum, the crusader against humility, must be happy :wink:)

While this song is deemed fit to fill this slot by the majority who voted on this thread, I myself have not personally listened to this song 100's of times or anything like that. And that is somewhat an anti-climax to the story :-) Actually, I had not paid attention to this song for a full decade from its release :shock: Even when I got first introduced to the album in the year 2002, it didn't catch on me like fire or anything like that - neither do I longingly play the songs often, other than occasionally listening to them at thiraippAdal.

Though those are facts, the intro of this album was under an intersting setting and that's the story I talked about earlier in a post. It's time to share it now. I'll have to talk about a beloved co-worker at the Palakkad workplace now, who was such a terrific singer and entertainer during booze sessions (besides being a brilliant engineer)! Well, he got classically trained (per his family traditions) and was also gifted with a lovely voice. In addition, he was very friendly and nice guy and naturally popular in the circles :-) Whenever he was available for booze parties, it was invariable that at some point the singing starts (mostly Malayalam nAdan pAttukkaL or filmy semi-classicals of KJY) and everyone gets delirious & at times all sing along :-)

Unfortunately, at one point of time some tragedy struck him (death of a close relative) and he had to miss work for a few weeks. All of us missed him so much and decided to visit him in his Thrissur district home, in interior countryside! Started off in two cars (me driving one that played kAsi & azhagi songs non-stop), rainy evening on the NH called for some adventurous drive that continued after we left the highway too, due to horrible country roads. Finally when we reached his traditional illam, he was so thrilled and was in tears! We didn't spend a lot of time in his home but in that one hour or so, he shared his precious music collections with us...

That's when he played this AvArampoo cassette as one of his favourites :shock: Here I was, a HCIRF of a quarter century, given a lecture about the greatness of rAsA by a Malayali villager, demonstrating IR-specialities with 'sAmi kitta solli' & 'mandhiram', in a farm house deep inside Kerala! And, I'm hearing those songs for the first time :shock:

I was full of puLakAngitham that day - 'kaRRAraik kaRRArE kAmuRuvar' feeling toward that guy and also toward the director Bharatan! (The same engineer used a number of BGM pieces from the Malayalam movie Guru for a quiz later on). I had to gulp down a few shots on the way back at Vadakkancheri (the famous Diana hotel on the NH) to get grounded!

I believe the movie had Padmarajan's story but didn't do very well (I'm not surprised after seeing the picturization of that song with Vineeth). In any case, I'm happy that at least it helped Bharathan associate with IR on a couple of occasions :-)

The movie was remake of "Thagaraa" by Aravindhan - Thagaraa shot prathap pothen to limelight - if i am not mistaken.. Must have been a huge hit as i saw folks discussing it in a Kairali programme. Raaja must have simply jumped at the chance of scoring for a Middle of the way Padmarajan style movie in thamizh..
producer KR did the punyam of bringing Aravindan to thamizh with this movie and Raaja remained ever grateful to him by scoring almost all of his movies for the next 10 years giving some great numbers..
I have not seen the movie and those days it was considered risque (as felt by ppl who have seen aravindan movies in malayalam) . years later i still havent seen the movie.. Interesting fact is that Nasser played the prime antagonist and aravindan was sufficiently impressed that he insisted for nasser in thevar magan too..
All said and done - the movie is more remembered for Raaja magic than for anything else.. Wonderful music - but a tad too classy for a rustic story set along the sea..

Sureshs65
1st May 2012, 09:47 PM
Jai,

One small mistake. Director is Bharathan, not Aravindan. Story was by Padmarajan and direction by Bharathan.

jaiganes
1st May 2012, 10:11 PM
Jai,

One small mistake. Director is Bharathan, not Aravindan. Story was by Padmarajan and direction by Bharathan.
yes... I stand corrected.. thanks..

app_engine
2nd May 2012, 12:21 AM
#367 ராஜாதி ராஜா உன் தந்திரங்கள்
(மன்னன், 1992, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1977'&lang=en)

'rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL' from mannan

The compilation exercise, of IR/SPB hits, steps into its second year today!

With a song that's an indirect tribute to rAsA (i.e. for his wizardry in music) while directly praising the macho of Rajini on screen! The praises befit both the individuals, two of the few most popular celebrities heard & seen in TN during my lifetime :-) Add SPB into the mix - who has his own inimitable set of tricks in singing - and the female lead praising him as 'your thanthirangaL' is befitting too :-)

Mannan was a garam masAlA, presented with some 'Visu'maththanams and I enjoyed watching the movie in a Palakkad theater. Not just Visumaththanams, it also had the terrific RK-GM combo scenes that left one with vayiRRu vali. Then it had some Dharmathin thalaivan style RK-Kushbu scenes that led to this lovely song depicted as a kanavu on motorcycle (not a fan of the picturization but the song is an evergreen fav with me).

Add some ammA sentiments with PandaribAi (who was the first heroine for 'parAsakthi herO' :wink:) and a phenomenal 'ammA enRazhaikkAdha' song in KJY's voice. Let's reserve the 'saNdi rANi' stuff that gave the film its interesting identity among RK films until that time (not for TF in general, 'kEttukkOdi urumi mELam' etc came years before), for the next song.

Like I mentioned many times, months after the movie was seen, I had the wonderful opportunity to listen to the song being sung non-stop by periyammA in the kitchen and I was in mey silirppu! She is such a great connoisseur of music in general & film music in particular and I was so happy to hear her sing the saraNam of this!

Contrary to some opinions here that this is an ordinary song, I rate the saraNam as one of the finest from rAsA, ever! That was possibly one reason why IR chose to have two sets of rhythm arrangements for that portion :-) Once again, unlike B(K), I'm a big fan of the country-style adi for the second saraNam. oru ragasiyam : when no one else is around (as in the case of driving to work), I can't listen to that portion without shaking the body :lol2:

The movie was a big hit IIRC and so were the songs - especially 'ammA enRazhaikkAdha' enjoying a cult-classic status even now! Being a P Vasu directed movie, there was some chinnaththambi pugazh pAdal in the famed theater scene:-) wikipedia informs that the movie was a kalaichchelvam from Bengaluru (nalla vELai, not from Bollywood). Quite an interesting movie whose scenes I've revisited a few times on small screen :-)

al_gates
2nd May 2012, 02:05 AM
The movie was a big hit IIRC and so were the songs - especially 'ammA enRazhaikkAdha' enjoying a cult-classic status even now!

Is it true that this song was brought in as IR had lost his mother that season and there was also a mother sentiment song in En Rasavin Manasile(late 1991) along with Mannan(early 92)?

al_gates
2nd May 2012, 02:13 AM
I was full of puLakAngitham that day - 'kaRRAraik kaRRArE kAmuRuvar' feeling toward that guy and also toward the director Bharatan!

App, have you seen Bharatan's Pranaamam? Very nice film. I wonder if it was a rage during the time it was released(1986).

The movie was remake of "Thagaraa" by Aravindhan - Thagaraa shot prathap pothen to limelight - if i am not mistaken..

I've seen Thagaraa and didnt want to see Avarampoo. Since I'd mostly assumed Pothen as a director, I thought the risqueness was due to him. Havent seen in full any of Pothen directed films so maybe he really was a decent director.

baroque
2nd May 2012, 03:11 AM
Thakara by Late M.G.Radhakrishnan has a Janaki solo in Ragam SUBHA PANTHUVARALI (vaigaraiyil vagai karaiyil......payanangala mudivadhillai... same ragam). I love it.

app_engine
2nd May 2012, 03:16 AM
al_gates,
I don't know if the song had connections with IR's mom...let's wait for others to throw in more info on that.

Reg. Bharatan, I've seen only two movies by him.
One on big screen, Malayalam, vaishAli - excellent! The other on small screen, DM.

baroque
2nd May 2012, 03:24 AM
thanks, app_eng for Rajathi raja.....
yeah.. amma endrazhaikkadha......enjoys the attention forever, I think I enjoy ADIKKUDHU KULIRU..... erotic IR-Janu often.:-D:swinghead:

app_engine
2nd May 2012, 03:26 AM
yw, baroque!

I think adikkuthu kuLiru is sung by Rajinikanth (with SJ) :-)

jaiganes
2nd May 2012, 03:38 AM
(மன்னன், 1992, ஸ்வர்ணலதாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1977'&lang=en)

'rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL' from mannan

The compilation exercise, of IR/SPB hits, steps into its second year today!

With a song that's an indirect tribute to rAsA (i.e. for his wizardry in music) while directly praising the macho of Rajini on screen! The praises befit both the individuals, two of the few most popular celebrities heard & seen in TN during my lifetime :-) Add SPB into the mix - who has his own inimitable set of tricks in singing - and the female lead praising him as 'your thanthirangaL' is befitting too :-)

Mannan was a garam masAlA, presented with some 'Visu'maththanams and I enjoyed watching the movie in a Palakkad theater. Not just Visumaththanams, it also had the terrific RK-GM combo scenes that left one with vayiRRu vali. Then it had some Dharmathin thalaivan style RK-Kushbu scenes that led to this lovely song depicted as a kanavu on motorcycle (not a fan of the picturization but the song is an evergreen fav with me).

Add some ammA sentiments with PandaribAi (who was the first heroine for 'parAsakthi herO' :wink:) and a phenomenal 'ammA enRazhaikkAdha' song in KJY's voice. Let's reserve the 'saNdi rANi' stuff that gave the film its interesting identity among RK films until that time (not for TF in general, 'kEttukkOdi urumi mELam' etc came years before), for the next song.

Like I mentioned many times, months after the movie was seen, I had the wonderful opportunity to listen to the song being sung non-stop by periyammA in the kitchen and I was in mey silirppu! She is such a great connoisseur of music in general & film music in particular and I was so happy to hear her sing the saraNam of this!

Contrary to some opinions here that this is an ordinary song, I rate the saraNam as one of the finest from rAsA, ever! That was possibly one reason why IR chose to have two sets of rhythm arrangements for that portion :-) Once again, unlike B(K), I'm a big fan of the country-style adi for the second saraNam. oru ragasiyam : when no one else is around (as in the case of driving to work), I can't listen to that portion without shaking the body :lol2:

The movie was a big hit IIRC and so were the songs - especially 'ammA enRazhaikkAdha' enjoying a cult-classic status even now! Being a P Vasu directed movie, there was some chinnaththambi pugazh pAdal in the famed theater scene:-) wikipedia informs that the movie was a kalaichchelvam from Bengaluru (nalla vELai, not from Bollywood). Quite an interesting movie whose scenes I've revisited a few times on small screen :-)
Ok.. lets dig a little into Mannan's history .
It is a remake of Kannada movie *ing Dr.Rajkumar - Anuraaga Aralithu.
Madhavi played the role of Vijayashanthi and PandariBhai had done the ditto role earlier..
Here is the you tube link to "Amma endrazhaikkaadha" from that movie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEnn3_82Yr4
Here is Amma Endrazhaikaadha from Mannan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aF0eSl67jI
Having seen both movies - i would say that Rajini owes a lot to Raasappu and Gounder for making this movie work high time.
coz the theme and story is as old as ages and pretty regressive for the year 1992.

baroque
2nd May 2012, 03:48 AM
yeah! Rajini sings with Janu... adikkuthu kuliru....

V_S
2nd May 2012, 04:15 AM
Great Post App on a deserving opener into the second year! Excellent job! :thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of the country-style adi for the second saraNam. oru ragasiyam : when no one else is around (as in the case of driving to work), I can't listen to that portion without shaking the body :lol2:
Yes. In fact that second interlude/charanam folk-style rhythm arrangement is the highlight of this song. When this album was released, it took a while to realize this change in percussion. Once we realized this, it became more enjoyable. That's the speciality of Maestro. He does not disturb our listening senses by forcing something out of the way, it is always a natural process. In first go, he will capture us completely by the tune and singing. As and when we continue to listen, slowly and steadily the other intricacies will be displayed delicately and also observes if we catch those.:smile:

One of the most watched Rajini film for me. But we were pretty disappointed since Rajini-Kushboo love didn't progress. Even though Vijayashanthi stole the show with her great acting, somehow at the back of our minds, we wanted Rajini-Kushboo to get united.:lol2:, mainly because Vijayashanthi was riding Rajini most of the time, which we could not digest much. Rajini-Annan comedy especially the theatre scene and unnaviratham scene were too hilarious.

Thanks Jai for the Kannada film video. Beautiful song!

genesis
2nd May 2012, 05:14 AM

For some reason I get a feeling this song belongs to "Pandian"... It also got notable Karthik Raja flavor.. Didn't KR help IR for Pandian? There was some talk or rumor at that time.

I have never consciously realized the change of percussion arrangement... But I have always felt the oddness of second percussion arrangement!!

venkkiram
2nd May 2012, 08:26 AM
Here is Amma Endrazhaikaadha from Mannan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aF0eSl67jI

டிவியில இந்தப் பாட்டைப் பார்த்துவிட்டு நையாண்டித்தனமான எங்க கிராமத்து ஆள் சொன்னது "என்ன வாதமோ இந்த கெழவிக்கு! டிசைன் டிசைனா கைய வெச்சுக்குது! கொடுத்த காசுக்கு கொஞ்சம் விசுவாசமா நடிக்கோனும்ல! " அந்த பேச்சைக் கேட்டதிலிருந்து இந்தப் பாட்டின் மீதிருந்த ஒரு ஈர்ப்பே போய்விட்டது! பாடல் காட்சியை பார்ப்பதை நிறுத்திவிட்டு ரொம்ப வருடங்களாகிவிட்டன.

groucho070
2nd May 2012, 09:15 AM
Really loved your descriptions and analogy combined with nostalgic moments for all these three songs. Excellent posts. :clap: Thanks for reminding Nungu and padha neer. Nungu was my favorite during my childhood. I can bring out the scene which you described in front of me, as I too experienced almost similar situation.

This thread is the highlight of mayyam/hub. Keep it going App! :DWord for word, I'd like to repeat to you. Lovely as usual, app. Except the Brian Lara bit, athu yarungga V_S? oh wait I better google then do a Raghu. :smile:

rajkumarc
2nd May 2012, 11:50 AM
Great going App and many congratulations for 1 yr of memorable posts about IR-SPB songs. As V_S said, amazing commitment with posting one song every day :notworthy:

Posts for 364-367 are all superb. Totally with you on PS's contribution in IR's songs, am a big fan of Ye Thendrale from Nenjathai Killadhe mainly because of PS's singing. In general I like the songs IR gave to PS which truly justifies her high caliber. Really happy that you are planning to write about those songs.

Plum
2nd May 2012, 12:20 PM
App - congrats and well-done. As Suresh mentioned some time back, you brought me back here in this section. Let's try to get this going until 2012(as of now). You can listen to Sri Rama Rajyam for a current experience(hope SP is there in the tamil version) :)

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd May 2012, 03:17 PM
yw, baroque!

I think adikkuthu kuLiru is sung by Rajinikanth (with SJ) :-)

ippO yen antha Terror ellathaiyum gnabaga paduthureenga ? :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd May 2012, 03:21 PM
unnaviratham scene were too hilarious.

If you watch the scene carefully, you would see that RK tried to control his laughter due to Annan's lollu, esp when Manorama tells about the food items available on offer through a loud speaker ! You should see annan's expression for that :rotfl:

Nerd
2nd May 2012, 05:39 PM
Mannan - One of my favorite Rajini films. Regressive / Chauvinistic - yeah but supremely entertaining. PV's biggest strength(!) is the comedy in his films, thanks mainly to Annan.

This particular song - one of my favorite songs of Rajini, even on screen. Excellent chemistry in that film between him and Kush. And +1 on app/V_S w.r.to the percussion shift in the 2nd interlude. Absolutely enjoyable. And spare a thought for Swarna too. She is delicious in the song. She aint that well known for freak out songs - but this song should stand testimony. RIP.

app_engine
2nd May 2012, 11:01 PM
nanRi Jai, for the Kannada thagavalkaL!

Thank you V_Sji, groucho, Plum, Param & rajkumarc, for the appreciation!

genesis, venkkiram & Nerd,
:-)

groucho,
Do you really not know Brian Lara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lara)? I'm not sure about your interest in cricket...it's like a religion in India.

Lara is a great West Indies batsman, the only cricketer to have scored 400 runs in an innings in test match history :-)

(One of my fav cricketers of all time but I like Viv Richards & Gordon Greenidge more among windies batsmen, other fav cricketers from windies are the bowlers Marshall & Holding)

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 01:13 AM
#368 (மன்னர் மன்னனே / ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1976'&lang=en) சண்டி ராணியே எனக்குக்கப்பம் கட்டு நீ (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1978'&lang=en)
(மன்னன், 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்)

'saNdi rANiyE enakkukkappam kattu nee' from mannan (also linked the 'mannar mannanE' part by SJ)

I don't remember how it was in the original cassette but thiraippAdal has the song as it occurs in the movie i.e. the mannar mannanE pallavi & first saraNam part where Vijayashanthi plays queen and the second saraNam / the 'saNdi rANiyE' conclusion by Rajini separately as two separate songs. Either way, this song defines the main theme of the movie and the prelude is played as the theme BGM thru out the movie:-) Very majestic arrangement and suits the geththu + swiftness of Rajinikanth nicely!

I think it's appropriate here to talk a little bit about the herOini who made the film notable for her character. Vijayashanthi ("Vaijayanthi IPS") is today a politician in AP & Telengana activist! Prior to this she was a popular heroine in TeF doing "lady james bond" kind of roles and considered a bigger "mass appeal personality" than many heroes there. A number of her movies got dubbed into Thamizh and many possibly knew her as a famous Telugu heroini only i.e. one who "also" acted in some TF movies like mannan.

Interestingly, she was a 1980 Bharathiraja-intro & her career started with a BR mERpArvai movie :-) 'kallukkuL eeram' was her first movie that was directed by Nivas under BR mERpArvai. The movie had BR as hero but Aruna played his pair while Vijayashanti was the "second" heroine opposite to Sudhakar I think. (Her 'uLLAdai' comedy scene was much talked about those days). She continued with some low-class-roles in both TF & TeF before hitting it big with the tough lady roles she is known for. (During our college days she had a Vijayakanth-SAC movie with name 'nenjilE thuNivirundhAl' that boys twisted as 'thuNi irundhAl' and made fun of :lol2:)

A kosuRu info from wiki - A M Ratnam, who was a big budget producer during 90's & later (e.g. Kamal-Shankar's Indian) was Vijayashanthi's make-up man of many years it seems (i.e.prior to she making him a mudhalALi). So, in more than one way, Vijayashanthi happens to be a colorful personality and she definitely did a commendable job in mannan (that kind of served as a model for neelAmbari years later...ofcourse, the original inspiration for both saNdirANi & neelAmbari was JJ I think :wink:). I thoroughly enjoyed her performance in that movie when I watched the first time and even during brief revisits of portions of the movie! Some credit should be given to her for the 'theater' scene too ('nAngaLAchchum solleettu vandhOm' :lol:)

Thoroughly enjoyable song, both on & off-screen!

al_gates
3rd May 2012, 04:02 AM
groucho,
Do you really not know Brian Lara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lara)? I'm not sure about your interest in cricket...it's like a religion in India.

Lara is a great West Indies batsman, the only cricketer to have scored 400 runs in an innings in test match history :-)

Speaking of which, Lara's birthday today :bow:

Holy shit, Obama plays cricket? :confused2: :bow: :bow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barack_Obama_%26_Brian_Lara_in_Port_of_Spain_ 4-19-09.JPG

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 07:00 AM
app, I googled. No, I got no interest in cricket. I am sure I feel the same if someone asked me who Maradona is :smile:

Sureshs65
3rd May 2012, 02:22 PM
app,

Nice writeup on Vijayasanthi. Apart from doing those Lady James Bond / revolutionary type movies she was famous for, she was also the leading heroine of those days. She has quite a few movie with Chiranjeevi, Balakrishna, Venkatesh etc. She was one of our favorites as well. She looks good in the early movies.

I saw the Telugu version of 'Mannan' (Gharana Mogudu) which was a very big hit but for me the chauvinism was not tolerable. It had Nagma in the lead role (she was at her peak popularity that time) and Vani Vishwanath in the Kushboo role. It was super duper hit but as I said I did not find it good. In Tamil the chauvinism was brought down a bit. I have seen only parts of the Tamil movie. Ofcourse I have seen all the comedy scenes and yes, the best is 'naangalavadhu sollitu vandhom'.

As regards to 'Amma Enraizkkada' song my experience is opposite that of Venkiram. My friend told me, "They have released a new AIADMK song in the film Mannan' and played 'Amma enraizhkkadha" :) So whenever I hear this song I have a smile on my lips.

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 08:11 PM
"They have released a new AIADMK song in the film Mannan' and played 'Amma enraizhkkadha"

:lol:
How ironical!

Nice post, Sureshji!

There's one more SPB song from mannan for today (hit yes, fav no)...& then adukku malli for tomorrow...so, we're already covered until #370...That way, the Brian Lara score for this series (#400) looks very much possible at this point of time...

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 08:19 PM
the chauvinism was not tolerable

Some of the old-timers used to tell that more tear-jerkers were made in their days because life was otherwise "happy" and they wanted the "opposite rasam" on screen.

We can take comfort in applying that logic here :wink: i.e. women started enjoying more power during 90's & later in real life but the movie-going-public wanted to see the opposite on screen.

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 08:59 PM
#369 கும்தலக்கடி கும்தலக்கடி பாட்டு
(மன்னன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1975'&lang=en)

'gumthalakkadi' from mannan

Songs like this could have eventually made Rajini decide to move away from IR, strictly IMO. I have a feeling that IR didn't enjoy doing such "hero-worship" songs anymore at this point of his career. This song sounds so ordinary and at par with his innumerable dappAnguththu numbers - with some standard template arrangements, low-class-chorus etc.

Not that he did great with such songs at any point of his career but there had been some biggies in prior decades (pothuvAka emmanasu thangam, nAn thAn sakalakalA vallavan, oru nAyakan uthayamAkiRan for e.g.). However, compared to other MDs in general, this genre of songs weren't that big with IR overall. May be it was his philosophy that story takes the driver's seat / music should eulogize the story theme and not hero etc.

Which is also perhaps the reason why he emerged out as the first iconic MD in south with only ARR repeating that feat. With ARR not doing that many TFs, the status quo seemed to have returned back -that of MD being regarded as just another technician who'll get appointed as per hero's demand & ends up churning out 'ellAm nAyakanE' kind of songs. nallA irukkattum :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd May 2012, 09:06 PM
(மன்னன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1975'&lang=en)

Songs like this could have eventually made Rajini decide to move away from IR, strictly IMO. I have a feeling that IR didn't enjoy doing such "hero-worship" songs anymore at this point of his career. This song sounds so ordinary and at par with his innumerable dappAnguththu numbers - with some standard template arrangements, low-class-chorus etc.
Did not feel this song had much "Hero worship" lyrics compared to "pothuvaga en mansu", " Naan thaan sakalakal vallavan " . :roll:

I agree with other points there , even Uzhaipali illaatha naadu than had better tune, but merciless Artillery attack by Nagoor babu spoils one 's mood !

jaiganes
3rd May 2012, 09:14 PM

Not that he did great with such songs at any point of his career but there had been some biggies in prior decades (pothuvAka emmanasu thangam, nAn thAn sakalakalA vallavan, oru nAyakan uthayamAkiRan for e.g.). However, compared to other MDs in general, this genre of songs weren't that big with IR overall. May be it was his philosophy that story takes the driver's seat / music should eulogize the story theme and not hero etc.

Which is also perhaps the reason why he emerged out as the first iconic MD in south with only ARR repeating that feat. With ARR not doing that many TFs, the status quo seemed to have returned back -that of MD being regarded as just another technician who'll get appointed as per hero's demand & ends up churning out 'ellAm nAyakanE' kind of songs. nallA irukkattum :-)
hmm another rasanai ketta mummy daddy..
The song is a sensation and our class mates used to sing out loud to our heart's content and make the hollow steel benches thunder to the intricate rhythms in the song.. with one student playing shehnai "pip pip peee ..." portion and yours truly mimicking the fast violin phases.. then the dabbanguthu reverberating on the blue painted steel benches - all in all made quite a thunderous sound in class rooms after school is done or on days we had special classes on saturdays.. made memorable by this song...
The song is not a hero worship song by any means - though the pallavi starts out in that fashion.. In my opinion - the best picturised song of the movie where all the major characters entered and played a part or shaked their legs.. Kushbu does a kuthu and Raaja's change in percussion specially for that became the template for MDs later to add a special layer when it comes to kuthu songs... Historically important song...
I managed to make my 6 year old an addict to this song and she uses it to cheer up the mood in the car and everyone ends up laughing or singing...
Gumthalakkadi Gumthalakkadi paattu.. Adhai
Gummidi poondi Goods vandila yaethu..

I didnt appreciate the gummidipoondi reference till i went to Gummidipoondi years later to the place where the industries regularly ship their products into the very important arterial access route..
train line...

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 09:19 PM
Did not feel this song had much "Hero worship" lyrics compared to "pothuvaga en mansu", " Naan thaan sakalakal vallavan " . :roll:

Me too was trying to tell the same - around this time Rajinikanth had been pushed to have some political interests (anti-JJ, to be specific) and IR was perhaps not in the same wavelength at this point of time, IMO.

So, any effort to bring "hero-worship" songs would have been unsuccessful or resulted in half-baked gumthalakkadees etc.

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd May 2012, 09:30 PM
Me too was trying to tell the same - around this time Rajinikanth had been pushed to have some political interests (anti-JJ, to be specific) and IR was perhaps not in the same wavelength at this point of time, IMO.

Yes Some punch Dialogues were said in Annamalai as well regarding this.

V_S
3rd May 2012, 10:05 PM
App,
I dont understand why you say IR doesn't like (much) to compose hero worship songs. If he is ready to compose a song for a film situation, hero worship song is also a film situation. Director wants a song to introduce hero with some message in the song in some particular locale. I don't know why this should be taken as out of context from a film. I would even say IR has composed the most number of hero introduction/worship songs (which was then followed by Deva and the likes), that even includes him as the hero of the film (Rajathi raja - Agni natchathiram, raja kaiyya vechhaa, Paattaale pudhi sonnaan and many more) :wink: If he accepts that lyrics to be written on his name (even if it is in the film context), why would he refuse/not-do-full-fledged for film heros?

BTW, Gumthalakadi is not a hero worship song. Also I don't think IR converted a hero-worship song half-heartedly to gumthalakadi. It is a song perfect for that situation. Song about laborers and their rights. It need not be sophisticated, It serves the purpose, what it was meant for. I don't understand why we have to mix politics into composition, just because we don't like it. Rajini moved out of IR may be because of directors choice of music directors (I don't know if he can push directors on this, other than he can have his recommendation) and the trend at that time, not because he didn't like these songs.

Sureshs65
3rd May 2012, 10:34 PM
app,

Surprising that is what I told my friends about 'Garana Mogudu' (Telugu version of Manan). The movie is about men's inability to handle the changing situation and their reluctance to accept a female boss. That is why it resonated with so many folks probably :D

app_engine
3rd May 2012, 10:59 PM
V_Sji,
I'm not telling IR "actually" disliked composing h-w numbers.

It was purely my (wild) guess :-) Who knows, he would have even enjoyed to make MGR-ish songs for Rajini or Kamal but namma enna vENa guess adikkalAm illaiyA? :wink:

Now, let me explain my wild theory (Wait a minute, let me first grab a shield against stones that will be coming :lol:).

Begin wild theory :
========================
1. rAsA progressively considered himself bigger than the heroes he worked with. ('nERRu illE nALai illE eppavum nAn rAjA'). This wasn't with any political aspirations but simply a vidyA garvam. I think he also started considering himself as important as the movie's director. ('nAnum oru director' statement in the director's program)

2. Over the years, the film field had accepted his superiority also - giving him titles, top line / pics on posters etc and this possibly peaked in early 90's with no competition within a reasonable distance! And him doing an average of one movie a week:shock: That gave him additional "high" and it wasn't easy anymore to sing praises of mere screen heroes (read Rajini / Kamal) as indiran / chandiran, as in MGR-Valee days.

3. What more, he was also into this acquaintances with a variey of temples / god-men etc and started himself enjoying titles as 'dEvan / sAmi'. Who knows, his mind would have even told him that he himself is some kind of avatAram :-) So, at this point, he could have found it difficult to whole heartedly appreciate politicians or "aspiring" politicians. (Appreciation of the "literary Vaiko" in TbI function and the remark as to why such a good man was in politics)

4. His reported irritation with Rajinikanth for a simply funny remark of 'nAnga veyilla kashtappattu nadippOm, ivaru a/c-la irunthukkittE pEr vAnguRAr' during veerA function.

So, Rajini would have realized that pAl kAran, AttOkkAran, padaiyappan kind of songs couldn't get composed by this man anymore and carefully moved away :-)
======================
End wild theory

Sureshs65
4th May 2012, 12:19 AM
app,

I agree with you that the theory you put forth is a wild one :lol: No, I don't agree with it but it is late in the night to write a detailed reply. Some other time maybe.

genesis
4th May 2012, 12:37 AM
V_Sji,
I'm not telling IR "actually" disliked composing h-w numbers.

It was purely my (wild) guess :-) Who knows, he would have even enjoyed to make MGR-ish songs for Rajini or Kamal but namma enna vENa guess adikkalAm illaiyA? :wink:

Now, let me explain my wild theory (Wait a minute, let me first grab a shield against stones that will be coming :lol:).

Begin wild theory :
========================
1. rAsA progressively considered himself bigger than the heroes he worked with. ('nERRu illE nALai illE eppavum nAn rAjA'). This wasn't with any political aspirations but simply a vidyA garvam. I think he also started considering himself as important as the movie's director. ('nAnum oru director' statement in the director's program)

2. Over the years, the film field had accepted his superiority also - giving him titles, top line / pics on posters etc and this possibly peaked in early 90's with no competition within a reasonable distance! And him doing an average of one movie a week:shock: That gave him additional "high" and it wasn't easy anymore to sing praises of mere screen heroes (read Rajini / Kamal) as indiran / chandiran, as in MGR-Valee days.

3. What more, he was also into this acquaintances with a variey of temples / god-men etc and started himself enjoying titles as 'dEvan / sAmi'. Who knows, his mind would have even told him that he himself is some kind of avatAram :-) So, at this point, he could have found it difficult to whole heartedly appreciate politicians or "aspiring" politicians. (Appreciation of the "literary Vaiko" in TbI function and the remark as to why such a good man was in politics)

4. His reported irritation with Rajinikanth for a simply funny remark of 'nAnga veyilla kashtappattu nadippOm, ivaru a/c-la irunthukkittE pEr vAnguRAr' during veerA function.

So, Rajini would have realized that pAl kAran, AttOkkAran, padaiyappan kind of songs couldn't get composed by this man anymore and carefully moved away :-)
======================
End wild theory

Wow app, It is unbelievable!! I never expected these kind of words about IR from you. நல்லவேளை, இதை நான் சொல்லலை... கடிச்சு கொதறி இருப்பாங்க.

My theory is: IR thought Rajni movies do not need much support from him. They are marketed using only Rajni name and most of the time story line is also very light and masala type. So he did not want to waste his effort. After Rajni reached super star status, IR did not support with his full potential.

DELETE *** As I said somewhere else, one exception was "Rajathi Raja" which happens to be his home production *** DELETE. I withdraw this statement.

genesis
4th May 2012, 12:41 AM
Here is an interesting article about Rajni. (groucho and others - please do not ask me who is Shakeela)

http://pitchaipathiram.blogspot.com/2008/09/vs.html

venkkiram
4th May 2012, 12:42 AM
நல்லவேளை, இதை நான் சொல்லலை... கடிச்சு கொதறி இருப்பாங்க. +1 நானும் அதைத்தான் நினைத்தேன். :)

Sureshs65
4th May 2012, 01:07 AM
app,

Not getting sleep. So I am back typing my response to your theory :)

First, I think Raja, as people like Plum have maintained, always held that the movie was the prime mover and he was just a side actor. Even at his peak he has ensured that he gave songs which were in tune with the movie requirement. (Rajasaranam maintains that there is no bad Raja song at all. He gives songs as per the situation in the movie.) I don't think he would have done something to ensure that they didn't give a 'hero intro' song.

Another thing most people miss about Raja is that he is a thorough professional when it comes to producing music. He may give some suggestion to directors about song situation and all but generally he composes the song as per the situation. So if the situation demands that there be an intro song he will compose. I don't think there has ever been an hint that Raja has refused to compose a hero worship song for Rajni or Kamal. Infact we can call 'kannu pada pogudhaiya' as hero worship song but he did compose it for Vijaykanth. To me Raja is the ultimate professional and he would never have said NO to composing any type of song. He may have thought that he was in the same league as Rajni and Kamal but that will never reflect in his work. Atleast Raja fans must know this. Otherwise given his fame and his standing in the industry he could have easily given off some junk songs to the upma producers and mokkai directors. Instead he gave gems to everyone.

As far as know, Raja clearly keeps his politics and religious stuff away from films. To give an example, in the CD cover of 'Dhanam' mentioned Raja's name as Illayaraja Swamigal or something like that. In that movie there is an erotic number, 'koothu onnu'. Same way you can check out the erotic songs that he gave for 'Jaganmohini'. He is not a person who thrusts his religious or political stand on the producer / director. So I cannot agree with the theory that he considered himself a special avataram. Infact whenever I hear him talk, I find him the most rooted of all men !! He just sees himself as a part of a larger musical universe which is inhabited by genius like Bach and Tyagaraja and he is lucky to be part of it.

To certain extent you seem to have been taken in by people like Gnani who feel Raja is arrogant :) For me, it could even have been other way around. That Rajni after reaching super stardom may have thought that why should Raja be equal to him. After all he is the hero. If we keep guessing like this, we will only end up in a fight :) But seriously tell me, why is it that people so easily think that Raja would have had problems / would have been arrogant etc and don't think the problem could have been at the other end?

Raja get irritated because of many things :) That is well know. I still don't know why Rajni moved away from him. I don't support genesis theory that Raja did not support Rajni after he became superstar. I think even the last movie they did, 'Veera' had terrific songs.

V_S
4th May 2012, 01:31 AM
நல்லவேளை, இதை நான் சொல்லலை... கடிச்சு கொதறி இருப்பாங்க.
Agree you didn't tell this, but

After Rajni reached super star status, IR did not support with his full potential. As I said somewhere else, one exception was "Rajathi Raja" which happens to be his home production.
itha solliteengaLE.:smile: A blanket statement by all means and I have ever heard. :notworthy: Even Rajini's last films with Raja; Ejamaan and Veera stands testimony of Rajini's biggest hits and greatest melodies in the history of thamizh cinema, as Suresh ji pointed out.

App,
That was one wildest theory and imagination. :lol: I didn't expect it. Anyway, Sureshji answered it, nothing for me to add.:smile:

app_engine
4th May 2012, 01:49 AM
AhA, big post from Sureshji :-)

ungaL uRakkaththaik keduththirundhAl dhayavu seythu mannikkavum :oops:

Just to clarify, my "wild theory" is limited only to why IR didn't shine (IMO) w.r.t. making songs that fit the genre of "marketing an aspiring politician" - a genre that should effectively confuse people between reel & real lives, producing a political leader :-)

(That way, I'm not with genesis on the quality of his music in general for Rajini movies, they were always awesome)

Like I posted before, while IR as a musician is phenomenal but as a flesh & blood person he had been like many top-level artists with all kinds of emotions (that include both humility & pride on occasions). I don't subscribe to any theories about his personality at all. His "nature" is not even a point of interest to me as I don't plan to personally do any business with him :lol:

The only interest is about whether his personal emotions had a bearing on the musical output and if so how. That is because I believe his feelings can have a distant bearing on his music, regardless of how extremely professional he is. (Like he himself admitted recently to some music students, his ammA songs are phenomenal because of his attitude toward women...also, my pet theory is that when he feels pumped up with vidyA garvam, his output is at an elevated level & he gives out "richer" songs)

app_engine
4th May 2012, 02:13 AM
Let's not underestimate the power of music to move masses for political (or religious) causes.

Historically, music (with powerful poems) have made even revolutions possible.

On a smaller scale, in the TN context, KVM & MSV in association with Valee & other kavingars have created powerful numbers sung by TMS that had a significant bearing on MGR's political ascendency.

Why, even Deva (and later ARR) created waves making fans believe that Rajini will soon enter politics, upturn the existing corrupt politicians and rule TN. (Such fans hoped for long before becoming desparate).

OTOH, it's a fact that IR, such a phenomenal / powerful musician, had generally been observed to be shy of entering into that territory - even when a movie with the title 'mannan' got made :-)

(Prior to this, in rAjAthi rAjA with the same top hero, a song had the lines 'enakku katchiyum vENam - oru kodiyum vENam' and that movie was produced by IR :wink:)

genesis
4th May 2012, 02:20 AM
app,

Not getting sleep. So I am back typing my response to your theory :)

First, I think Raja, as people like Plum have maintained, always held that the movie was the prime mover and he was just a side actor. Even at his peak he has ensured that he gave songs which were in tune with the movie requirement. (Rajasaranam maintains that there is no bad Raja song at all. He gives songs as per the situation in the movie.) I don't think he would have done something to ensure that they didn't give a 'hero intro' song.

Another thing most people miss about Raja is that he is a thorough professional when it comes to producing music. He may give some suggestion to directors about song situation and all but generally he composes the song as per the situation. So if the situation demands that there be an intro song he will compose. I don't think there has ever been an hint that Raja has refused to compose a hero worship song for Rajni or Kamal. Infact we can call 'kannu pada pogudhaiya' as hero worship song but he did compose it for Vijaykanth. To me Raja is the ultimate professional and he would never have said NO to composing any type of song. He may have thought that he was in the same league as Rajni and Kamal but that will never reflect in his work. Atleast Raja fans must know this. Otherwise given his fame and his standing in the industry he could have easily given off some junk songs to the upma producers and mokkai directors. Instead he gave gems to everyone.

As far as know, Raja clearly keeps his politics and religious stuff away from films. To give an example, in the CD cover of 'Dhanam' mentioned Raja's name as Illayaraja Swamigal or something like that. In that movie there is an erotic number, 'koothu onnu'. Same way you can check out the erotic songs that he gave for 'Jaganmohini'. He is not a person who thrusts his religious or political stand on the producer / director. So I cannot agree with the theory that he considered himself a special avataram. Infact whenever I hear him talk, I find him the most rooted of all men !! He just sees himself as a part of a larger musical universe which is inhabited by genius like Bach and Tyagaraja and he is lucky to be part of it.

To certain extent you seem to have been taken in by people like Gnani who feel Raja is arrogant :) For me, it could even have been other way around. That Rajni after reaching super stardom may have thought that why should Raja be equal to him. After all he is the hero. If we keep guessing like this, we will only end up in a fight :) But seriously tell me, why is it that people so easily think that Raja would have had problems / would have been arrogant etc and don't think the problem could have been at the other end?

Raja get irritated because of many things :) That is well know. I still don't know why Rajni moved away from him. I don't support genesis theory that Raja did not support Rajni after he became superstar. I think even the last movie they did, 'Veera' had terrific songs.

Sureshji - Can you please explain how does VM fit in here? As far as I know, songs written by VM were not selected for the recent IR concerts. (Majority of TN people think IR/VM era as the golden period of TFM).

While I do not buy app's "wild theory", I do not believe yours. The truth is somewhere in between.

V_S
4th May 2012, 03:32 AM
Let's not underestimate the power of music to move masses for political (or religious) causes.

Historically, music (with powerful poems) have made even revolutions possible.

On a smaller scale, in the TN context, KVM & MSV in association with Valee & other kavingars have created powerful numbers sung by TMS that had a significant bearing on MGR's political ascendency.

Why, even Deva (and later ARR) created waves making fans believe that Rajini will soon enter politics, upturn the existing corrupt politicians and rule TN. (Such fans hoped for long before becoming desparate).

OTOH, it's a fact that IR, such a phenomenal / powerful musician, had generally been observed to be shy of entering into that territory - even when a movie with the title 'mannan' got made :-)

(Prior to this, in rAjAthi rAjA with the same top hero, a song had the lines 'enakku katchiyum vENam - oru kodiyum vENam' and that movie was produced by IR :wink:)

I don't know what to say. I think we are doing some absolutely wrong comparisons with MGR times and Rajini times. MGR was clear enough and he already was into politics and even featured DMK flags, shirts, Anna's image in his latest pictures, while Rajini was not even an inch clear enough that he will be in politics. MGR on the other hand was already in DMK when he acted in several films. His authority is more, you got to obey him. But Rajini never said concretely that he is going to enter politics. He was just creating expectations, that's all. From your posts it seems that MSV/KVM music helped him to enter politics, which I totally agree, while IR songs did not help him much. That was just because he was himself not clear.

Added to that, MGR insisted his songs should bear all these criteria, while I don't think Rajini has told the director/Raja that the songs should be like this and politically motivated, as he doubtful about his entry. Another interesting aspect we need to see here is, that time there was only DMK when MGR was acting. When he floated ADMK and became CM, he almost completed his acting career. So MSV/KVM were not in any real trouble, as they were only supporting MGR/DMK by opposing Congress (no one cares from congress whom the music director supports).

Why are we blaming IR if he has stuck to the situation of the movie. That too it is very easy for him in 1990s, as Rajini is not associated with any party, so it will be easy for him to project as a future leader compared to MGR times, where he will be stamped as supporting one party. Now we also have to consider that both ADMK and DMK are equally bigger, it is always a risk. He would be readily willing to do that, if he had given a chance and situation. Just with one song, that too as I said it was not even hero worship song, we were comparing IR with yesteryear MDs is totally tangential.

Even as you say Deva/ARR helped him, I would like to know what way they helped him to ascend the throne. If you say IR is shy, ARR is more shy in this context. Deva only helped him in Basha, Annamalai and may be couple of more. That too count about 5 songs? So with these 5-10 songs, Rajini's political career shaped much more than what IR did? Since Rajini could not get such number from IR, he really lost the political battle, which he never thought of entering? I can't believe this.

genesis,
Another blanket statement in the form of "Majority TN people consider IR/VM period as the Golden period of TFM". Simple'a ungaLLukku indha period pidichirukku'nu sollittu pOnga sir. Why are you involving majority TN people. I am in that majority. I don't accept it.

genesis
4th May 2012, 05:38 AM
genesis,
Another blanket statement in the form of "Majority TN people consider IR/VM period as the Golden period of TFM". Simple'a ungaLLukku indha period pidichirukku'nu sollittu pOnga sir. Why are you involving majority TN people. I am in that majority. I don't accept it.

I might have generalized to a bit too much, but my statement has lot of value and to emphasize the importance of IR/VM combo.

Sureshs65
4th May 2012, 10:52 AM
genesis,

Honestly I don't understand your question regarding VM because he was never in the picture in my post. All I can assume is that you are asking me if Raja has been professional wrt VM and you are giving recent Raja's concert as an example.

The relationship or absolute lack of it between Raja and VM is well know. Raja decided not to work with VM for whatever reasons and again for whatever reasons he is sticking hard and fast to that decision. It is not for us to say whether it is a right decision or not but it is a professional decision of his and we have to respect it. And let me assure you that this is not the first time such a thing has happened in Indian film industry. There have been many lyricist / MD ego issues. Naushad could not tolerate Sahir or his communist bent of mind. After 'Kabhi Kabhi', Sahir thought his lyrics were the main reason for the success of the songs and Khayyam's music of not of importance. They fell out after 'Kabhi Kabhi'. So it is not as if Raja VM falling out is something strange. It is just part of the Indian film industry :)

Coming to Raja's concert, people were keenly observing if VM songs were played. They were played. I don't have the energy to go dig up the play list but yes, VM songs were featured in the concert. Additionally you have to take a few other points into consideration before jumping into any conclusion regarding the song selection for the concert.

1. I am not too sure if Raja himself selected the songs. I think Subhasree and Jaya TV folks selected most of the songs. They had asked people to list their favorite songs and send it across. The selection happened from that

2. If you observe carefully there were quite a few Raja songs of the late 70s that were played. These are songs like by a vast majority of Raja fans and VM was not present in those songs

3. Raja's repertoire is so vast and VM occupies only a small percentage of it. While the songs of IR/VM songs have been terrific hits, there have been equally terrific hits before VM joined Raja and after VM left Raja and by other lyricist while VM was working with Raja.

4. Most importantly, not a single person who attended the concert that day had any problem in the song selection!!! They loved every song !!! That just shows there is enough and more to Raja than his combination with VM. Take away all the IR VM songs and still whatever is left is enough to say that Raja is a legend. While definitely accepting that VM was the best lyricist that Raja worked with, I will also have to say that Raja is far beyond VM. There are enough people is Tamil Nadu who will die for the first 5 yrs of Raja, before VM came into picture.

genesis
4th May 2012, 11:19 AM
There are enough people is Tamil Nadu who will die for the first 5 yrs of Raja, before VM came into picture.

Me included.

But Suresh, the discussion is not about IR's music, but his choices as a professional. It is not only VM, IR decided not to work with many directors/actors after they left him once. Are you sure IR keeps his politics away from films? I do not think so.

கண்ணு பட்டுடிச்சி அப்பு.. இப்ப தான் எல்லாரும் வாழ்த்து சொல்லி முடிச்சாங்க... இங்க ஒரு (பழம் பெரும்) சண்டை மறுபடியும் ஆரம்பிச்சிடுச்சு.... சீக்கிரம் ஒரு நல்ல பாட்டு போட்டு விடுங்க... கும்தலக்கடி கும்மா எல்லாம் வேண்டாம்.

groucho070
4th May 2012, 12:15 PM
Here is an interesting article about Rajni. (groucho and others - please do not ask me who is Shakeela)

http://pitchaipathiram.blogspot.com/2008/09/vs.htmlenikki ariyum :oops: In fact, I read the news back then about how M&M was affected. This line got me :rotfl:
பிற்பாடு அம்மணி இதை நிறுத்திக் கொண்டாலும் ரஜினி இன்னும் நிறுத்தவில்லை என்பது ஒரு சிறு வேற்றுமை.

Sureshs65
4th May 2012, 12:17 PM
genesis,

Aah. Now I get your question: "Are you sure IR keeps his politics away from films?"

Let me restate what I said earlier: IR keeps his religious beliefs and politics away from his music. What I mean is eventhough he may be a very religious person, he will compose a very erotic song. He may have his own beliefs on how people should live but if it is a song about bachelors wanting to cut college and go on a drinking spree, he will compose and so on and so forth. I hope you get the drift. So to emphasize, Raja has not let his beliefs/value system get in way of his composing music for a movie situation. So this is clearly about Raja and his music.

But as you say this is not about Raja's music but about his choice of not working with some people, or maybe a lot of people :D I don't see either lack of professionalism or politics interfering here. This is outside of music and I am fine if two artists don't want to work with each other. If they work together but behave badly and don't do their work well or in time, then that is unprofessional. As I said earlier, I have no issues if Raja doesn't work with someone or if someone doesn't want to work with Raja. When the work happens, you must be professional enough and I believe Raja is extremely professional when it comes to work.

அப்பப்ப சண்ட வந்தாதானே எல்லோரும் எட்டி பாப்பாங்க :) அரசியல்ல இதெல்லாம் சகஜமப்ப :D

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 03:15 PM
Rajini moved out of IR may be because of directors choice of music directors (I don't know if he can push directors on this, other than he can have his recommendation) and the trend at that time, not because he didn't like these songs.

IIRC Veera was IR's last venture with RK, I guess that was in 1994 ?? anything after that was all ARR show with the exemption of baasha ,Arunatchallam, Annamalai and CM. I guess RK's movies gradually slowed down to one movie per year in the later 90's by this time ARR was making waves,so all the producers must have wanted ARR simply becasue to make money!

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 03:25 PM

I also think the same, this could also be reason for the fewer SPB + IR songs after Veera :roll:

:shock: some as humble as RK said this ?? :shock:

groucho070
4th May 2012, 03:35 PM
He probably meant it in joking way, also in awe of how IR can wave magic with just the power of his brain. Ithukku tensan-nA, appo all software engineers should hate Rajini.

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 03:43 PM
He probably meant it in joking way, also in awe of how IR can wave magic with just the power of his brain. Ithukku tensan-nA, appo all software engineers should hate Rajini.

I too feel the same.

app_engine
4th May 2012, 07:00 PM
V_Sji,
kOchchukkAdheenga :-)

I've cited MGR as an example only (who got benefited in politics from movie songs) and not as a 1-1 comparison with Rajini (though both these "marumakans" of TN have some similarities):-)

Neither do I question rAsA's capability to compose for ANY kind of situation (political included) :-)

I was just trying to get into a 'not-so-often-discussed' territory of rAsA & political songs, making use of gumthalakkadi as a spring board...mostly on a speculation mode as to what could have been in rAsA's (& Rajini's) mind and how it could have impacted the creative output :-) It's pretty obvious that some of my speculations were wild but is that not one way to discuss all kinds of extreme possibilities in an analysis, but done respectfully? :-)

One will never know what was actually in Rajini's mind about politics at any point of time - especially during 90's & the first decade of new millennium.

What one clearly knows is rAsA, who started his musical career in politics, steered away from it as his journey progressed. With a single-minded focus on music! :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 07:08 PM
App anna

I have had this question in my mind for a long time! "Why did IR Completley stop using SPB after 2000" ???

app_engine
4th May 2012, 07:36 PM
App anna

I have had this question in my mind for a long time! "Why did IR Completley stop using SPB after 2000" ???

Recent "srirAmarAjyam" in Telugu, which is a huge hit album, has all SPB :-)
dhOni'la kooda avar pAdi irukkAr.

We've also seen IR-SPB whole hearted stage-sharing on two Jaya TV concerts in the new millennium :-)

avvaLavu dhAN sAr enakkuththeriyum :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 07:38 PM
dhOni'la kooda avar pAdi irukkAr.

Oh apadiya paata keatu parkanum :)

app_engine
4th May 2012, 08:50 PM
#370 அடுக்கு மல்லி எடுத்து வந்து தொடுத்து வச்சேன் மாலை
(ஆவாரம்பூ, 1992, ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0076'&lang=en)

'adukku malli eduththu vandhu' from AvArampoo, with SJ

Very sweet SPB-SJ duet with all typical rAsA elements that make the listening so pleasant and soothing! Tabla rhythm + flute & strings izhaivu to a delicious folk melody makes this song a lovely package. Both singers are in their usual elements and complement each other brilliantly to make the song a nice experience.

Like I mentioned before in the post on sAmi kitta solli, my connection with the songs & album are quite limited but it should have had significant impact both in TN & Kerala at the time of arrival, going by the remembrance of musically inclined people in both states a decade after the release of the movie.

Bharathan, who himself MD-ed a few of his movies, seems to have worked with some of the best musical talents from the south, if one goes by his wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharathan). It has listed almost all star MDs of MF - Devarajan Master, MBS, Ravindran, MSV, Johnson, MG Radhakrishnan, Shyam, Ousappachen, Jerry Amaldev & Bombay Ravi, besides our IR :shock: !

I'm not instantly familiar with songs of many movies listed but if one goes by Vaishali songs that I'm in love with (MD -Bombay Ravi), unquestionably a director with wonderful musical taste! It lists a MF with IR also - manjeeradhwani...I'm curious to listen to that album and compare / contrast that score to the two TF albums from this combo...

Bharathan's colloboration with script writers too looks quite impressive - Padmarajan, Logitadas, MT...unfortunately, I have missed all except vaishAli. A number of the listed movies are considered timeless classics and it may be worthwhile to hunt for the DVDs and watch them when kids are not around :wink: (may be after retirement :lol2:)!

PARAMASHIVAN
4th May 2012, 09:00 PM
#370 அடுக்கு மல்லி எடுத்து வந்து தொடுத்து வச்சேன் மாலை
(ஆவாரம்பூ, 1992, ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0076'&lang=en)

intha paatOda video version pathutEla :lol2:

app_engine
4th May 2012, 09:12 PM
intha paatOda video version pathutEla :lol2:

illeenga...after watching the youtube of 'sAmi kitta solli', not much interest to search for it anyways :-)

app_engine
4th May 2012, 09:56 PM
Started looking for the next song for tomorrow...

'oru pAttAlE solli azhaichchEn' - nice song from deiva vAkku - but never heard before, skip

app_engine
4th May 2012, 10:15 PM
Other skips from the year 1992:

- chinnanchiru annakkiLi (enRum anbudan)
- all SPB songs of innisai mazhai (never heard before, most sound very nice however)
- all SPB songs of kAval geetham ( ditto, 'sokkanukku vAchcha' is awesome )
- two SPB songs of kOvil kALai (ditto)
- I've already mentioned about unfamiliarity of magudam songs
- pArthadhenna pArvai ennai vAttudhE (nAngaL)
- pudhukkAvEri (puthiya swarnangaL - ippadi oru padamA, or is the name puthiya swarangaL?)
- two songs of rAsukkutty (surprised that even a KBR movie escaped my radar)

So, the song tomorrow has to be from 'unnai nenachchEn pAttu padichchEn'...

V_S
4th May 2012, 10:17 PM
OTOH, it's a fact that IR, such a phenomenal / powerful musician, had generally been observed to be shy of entering into that territory - even when a movie with the title 'mannan' got made
this and

Neither do I question rAsA's capability to compose for ANY kind of situation (political included)
this :lol2:

App sir,
KOvama'laam illenga. NeengaLA imagine panni Raja'va paththi oru post pOdreenga. NeengaLE answer'um thareenga (your last post). If I answer sincerely, you are saying, I didn't mean to compare MGR/Rajini 1-to-1 and also saying and I don't question Raaja's talent too to compose for any kind of situation (Please see the above quotes). If you say so, ideally your first post and subsequent posts are contradictions to your last post. You are also saying you are using gumthalakadi just as a lauch pad for this discussion. From this (so-called-discussion), I get that ultimately all this is for fun? Idhukku pErthaan pOttu Vaangarthu :lol:. I will make sure I don't cross any roads in all these discussions herafter.:smile: Anyway let's get back to SPB-IR songs.

Divine22
4th May 2012, 10:33 PM
Wow.... so much to read & alot of catching up to do from most IR threads. :cool:

Great going App Sir!! :bow:

scintillating 90's!! Raaja Raajyam todarattum ! :2thumbsup:

app_engine
4th May 2012, 10:59 PM
V_Sji :-)

pOttellAm vAngalainga...it was a not-so-successful-attempt to engage in an "IR & politics" discussion. Most of the time people ask heroes 'neenga arasiyalukku varuveengaLA, eppO'...rAsA being our hero, I'm indulging in somewhat related topic (even though no reporter asked him that arasiyal question ever I think)

neenga quote paNNina reNdu statements-kkum contradiction onnum illaiyE :confused:

One talks about IR's actual output (less than probably 0.001% of his 1000's of songs had political theme) while the other talks about his capability to compose.

Same like we telling IR's capability to compose 100 symphonies while not even releasing the one that actually got recorded :wink:

I guess rAsA's aversion to politics came from the not-so-pleasant-experience of his elder brother (Pavalar) with politicians. (I remember reading about how Pavalar didn't receive help when in serious need, after dedicating a major portion of his life to a political party.)

Remember the infamous outlook interview that had been inappropriately quoted by the likes of Charu against IR? My interpretation of that was rAsA telling "my music is holy and I don't want to use it for political elements" :-)

app_engine
4th May 2012, 11:05 PM
nanRi, Divine22!

Hopefully there'll be another 30 IR-SPB hit songs to get me reach the 400 mark :-)

genesis
4th May 2012, 11:11 PM
Suresh,

Here is the full list from the recent concert:

1) Janani Janani - Thaai Mookambikai
2) Amma Endrazhithaal - Mannan
3) Naanaga Naanillai - Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe
4) Idhayam Pogudhey - Pudhiya Vaarpugal (heart sliced into two)
5) Paruvame - Nenjathai Killathe (Bliss)
6) Idhayam Oru Kovil - Idhaya Kovil
7) Nee Paartha Paarvai - Hey Ram
8) En Iniya Pon Nilave - Moodupani
9) Kanmaniye Kadhal - Aarilirundhu Aruvadhuvarai
10) Aayiram Malargale - Niram Maaratha Pookal
11) Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Alaigal Oyvathillai
12) Chinna Kannan Azhaikiraan - Kavikkuyil (from the King himself BMK)
13) Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu - Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri
14) Poove Sempoove - Solla Thudikkidhu Manasu
15) Oru Jeevan Azhaithathu - Geethanjali
16) Edho Mogam - Kozhi Koovudhu
17) Madai Thirandhu - Nizhalgal (Balu express)
18) Oru Raagam Paadalodu - Anandha Ragam
19) Sundari Neeyum - Michael Madhana Kamarajan
20) Naan Thedum Sevvanthi - Dharma Pathini
21) Gum Sum Gum - Paa
22) Aayiram Thamarai - Alaigal Oyvathillai
23) Poongathave - Nizhalgal
24) Sundari Kannal - Thalapathy
25) Ilangaathu Veesudhey - Pithamagan
26) En Mana Vaanil - Kaasi
27) Raja Kaiya Vacha - Aboorva Sagotharargal
28) Ninaivo Oru Paravai - Sigappu Rojakkal
29) Idhu Oru Nila Kaalam - Tik Tik Tik
30) Vacha Paarvai Theerathadi - Ilamai Kolam
31) Kaattukuyil - Thalapathy (a feast by SPB and KJY)
32) Kannan Oru - Bhadrakali
33) Ilamai Idho Idho - Sakalakala Vallavan (last song to end the event)

Can you please cite one song written by VM?

app_engine
4th May 2012, 11:15 PM
Can you please cite one song written by VM?

onnu enna, reNdu solREn :-)

Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE
idhu oru nilAkkAlam

app_engine
4th May 2012, 11:16 PM
putham puthukkAlai - moonu

Devaraagam
4th May 2012, 11:40 PM
App, Puthiya swarangal was directed by Actor Vijayan but the movie did not come out. it got 3 or 4 (hope I am recollecting correctly) songs and one or two repeats. KJJ song is good one.

Plum
4th May 2012, 11:42 PM
achcham machcham meesai-aasai idhellAm illAdha VM pAttu oru VM pAttA? hence genesis's question

On the topic from yesterday, geneisis' martyr vesham(naan sonna kodhari irupPAnga) is unnecessary. ninga uLarinA ulAralai highlight dhAn paNNuvOm. app wild theorynu bail vAngittu dhAn sonnAr - ungaLa mAdhiri "nAns olRadhu dhAn fact"-nu wantedA jeepla ERalai. WantedA jeepla ERinA Prakash Raj kaiyila adi vAnga thAn vaangaNum, basement udhara dhAn seyyum -adhukkellaam martyr vesham poda koodadhu

jaiganes
5th May 2012, 12:12 AM
achcham machcham meesai-aasai idhellAm illAdha VM pAttu oru VM pAttA? hence genesis's question

On the topic from yesterday, geneisis' martyr vesham(naan sonna kodhari irupPAnga) is unnecessary. ninga uLarinA ulAralai highlight dhAn paNNuvOm. app wild theorynu bail vAngittu dhAn sonnAr - ungaLa mAdhiri "nAns olRadhu dhAn fact"-nu wantedA jeepla ERalai. WantedA jeepla ERinA Prakash Raj kaiyila adi vAnga thAn vaangaNum, basement udhara dhAn seyyum -adhukkellaam martyr vesham poda koodadhu

indha political broker support konjam overaathaan poittu irukku inga..
BTW A_E - Pls listen to "ThuLLi thirindhadhoru kaalam" it has poignant lines set to wonderful tune - sung soulfully by Balu..

genesis
5th May 2012, 12:21 AM

ஐயையோ, ரொம்ப பயமாயிருக்கு!!

Plum
5th May 2012, 12:31 AM
cosnsitentA oru vEsham pOdumayyA - nEthu martyr vEsham, innikku Clown vEsham...what is your real face?

Sureshs65
5th May 2012, 12:33 AM
genesis,

As app pointed out, 3 of VM songs were performed which I think is fair enough percentage.

Plum,

Cool down, cool down

And yes, app, do listen to 'thulli thirindadhoru kaalam' Lovely song.

Your missed list highlights two things. Some of the Raja's songs were not reaching the nook and corners like earlier. Second, though they didn't reach remote places, there is nothing wrong with them musically :D

app_engine
5th May 2012, 01:11 AM
'thuLLiththirindhadhoru kAlam' (enRum anbudan) is listed as a Mano song in thiraippadal.

That deflected me from even attempting to listen once :oops:

Excellent song, but hearing for the first time :oops:

This "rare hits of rAjA" page got this song posted as the 100th one by Rex and he says it went unnoticed at the time of arrival (i.e. not exactly a hit song) :
http://tfmpage.com/forum/4471.16963.21.38.50.html

MY 100TH ADDITION!!! Thulli Thirinthadhu from ENRUM ANBUDAN. One of the great songs of Raaja with beautiful lyrics. The main success of my page amongst TFM fans can be attributed to two reasons: 1)Raajs's tunes are so great and mesmerizing that we tend to hear them again and again, 2)Almost every fan who has contacted me through personal e-mail has indicated that he/she was very much immersed in nostalgia after listening to all the songs hosted in my page.

Therefore, I wish to sponsor this song as my 100 th addition to my page. This song is very melodious and takes us through nostalgic feelings. Just observe the lyrics...I am sure that ALL the fans at TFM would welcome this song. This song also went unnoticed at the time, when it was released. Raaja is a very unlucky guy, I suppose.

Anyway, please share your thoughts about this special song. That would give me more enthu....

The comment by Plum's friend in that thread :

REX: Once again, Great work, man!

Thulli thirinthathu is another of the "vizhalukku iraitha neer" by raja. It didnt get the attention it deserved. Good choice for the hundredth song, I must observe!Incidentallly, it was written by the director of that movie, whose name I forget. The movie had another sizzler in "Nilavu vanthathu".

And the quality with G2 is indeeed mind-boggling. As Rex said, its almost MP3-esque.

MY favourite among the latest additions is, however, "Engegno sellum".Simply brilliant!

Keep Going, Rex.

rajkumarc
5th May 2012, 01:23 AM
BTW A_E - Pls listen to "ThuLLi thirindhadhoru kaalam" it has poignant lines set to wonderful tune - sung soulfully by Balu..

Jai - What movie is that song from?

app_engine
5th May 2012, 01:29 AM
Jai - What movie is that song from?

enRum anbudan (Murali movie it seems)

Also, please see my post above & the old tfmpage thread that discusses the song...

jaiganes
5th May 2012, 02:29 AM
The movie's director is "Padhma Magan" (Padma's son).
He has made all flop movies - including the recent ones where Manoj (bharathiraaja's son) played the hero (Pallavan is the name of the movie) and a more
recent movie with partheban ammuvaagiya naan. This was his debut movie.

jaiganes
5th May 2012, 02:38 AM
'thuLLiththirindhadhoru kAlam' (enRum anbudan) is listed as a Mano song in thiraippadal.

That deflected me from even attempting to listen once :oops:

Excellent song, but hearing for the first time :oops:

This "rare hits of rAjA" page got this song posted as the 100th one by Rex and he says it went unnoticed at the time of arrival (i.e. not exactly a hit song) :
http://tfmpage.com/forum/4471.16963.21.38.50.html

The comment by Plum's friend in that thread :

The song begins in the fashion that would sweep any IR fan of his/her feet - with sweeping notes of harmonium parallel to Bala's soft voice..
The interlude arrangements are so typical of early 90s raaja and the violin sections - the way they swoop low in to the minors conveys the pathos
feel so effectively. The star of the song is actually Balu - who simply brings to mind's eye the face of Murali with the step cut and shy, but expressive eyes suffering within.
Awesome awesome song which conveys the essential knot of the movie in the second charanam...
App's miss of this song clearly conveys the perils that follow listeners who approach music with pre conceived notions.

al_gates
5th May 2012, 04:09 AM
I'm not instantly familiar with songs of many movies listed but if one goes by Vaishali songs that I'm in love with (MD -Bombay Ravi), unquestionably a director with wonderful musical taste! It

App,
I love the songs from Pranaamam: Two of them are 1. Thalam marannu
www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tH9Mrw6aw

2. Thalirilayil thaalam thulli
http://www.4shared.net/download/70KKelTsE5OsifuXOVCN0D/THALIRILAYIL-THALAM-THULLI-LATHIKA-BHARATHAN-OUSEPPACHAN-PRANAMAM-1986.html

Sureshs65
5th May 2012, 11:38 AM
app,

On a totally unrelated note, wondering how many of the tfmpagers who were around in 1999 are still active. I could recognize Nagasubrmaniam (I guess he is NagaS). I could recognize Plum's friend Raj (Who looks like Plum) but others?

Plum
5th May 2012, 10:40 PM
Other skips from the year 1992:

- chinnanchiru annakkiLi (enRum anbudan)

- all SPB songs of innisai mazhai (never heard before, most sound very nice however)
- all SPB songs of kAval geetham ( ditto, 'sokkanukku vAchcha' is awesome )
- two SPB songs of kOvil kALai (ditto)
- I've already mentioned about unfamiliarity of magudam songs
- pArthadhenna pArvai ennai vAttudhE (nAngaL)
- pudhukkAvEri (puthiya swarnangaL - ippadi oru padamA, or is the name puthiya swarangaL?)
- two songs of rAsukkutty (surprised that even a KBR movie escaped my radar)

So, the song tomorrow has to be from 'unnai nenachchEn pAttu padichchEn'...

chinnanchiru annakkiLi (enRum anbudan) - good skip. NO complaints. Not a bad song but havin covered some unbelieveable songs in this thread, skipping this one is understandable.

two SPB songs of kOvil kALai (ditto)- thenmadhurai seemai hit. Keralavaasis and the dominant-media of then sennai vaasis can be excused for not knowing this. However, as was the case then, madurai seemai welcomed this with multiple hands. "Adi Maanamadurai" is a rumbunctious song worthy of a careful close listen, app. Try it, you'll not regret.

I actually like "pallikkoodam pogalama", slightly restrained SPB-SJ-IR erotica. Only IR could make a Vijayakanth-Kanaga erotic song "exciting", if you see what I mean ;-). BTW, thanga thalaivi Devikavukku ipdi oru poNNu :(

Raasukutty - slightly painful - holi holi holi..suba laali laali laali. I always claim that lyrics dont matter as long as the music conveys the emotions however some Raja albums sorely tested that resolve during these days. This on was prime among those. Well, ofcourse, there is always the iru kodugal philosophy. The hindi remake had lyrics that went "sarkailo khatiya..." etc etc with Govinda-Karishma, and some dustbin mu-sick.

Plum
5th May 2012, 10:43 PM
Most of the time people ask heroes 'neenga arasiyalukku varuveengaLA, eppO'...rAsA being our hero, I'm indulging in somewhat related topic (even though no reporter asked him that arasiyal question ever I think)

there was once a report in a tamil tabloid that Raja was offered a MP seat in Madurai (near Madurai perhaps) and he refused saying "indha piRavi enakku isaikkAga mattumE".

Plum
5th May 2012, 10:59 PM
app,

On a totally unrelated note, wondering how many of the tfmpagers who were around in 1999 are still active. I could recognize Nagasubrmaniam (I guess he is NagaS). I could recognize Plum's friend Raj (Who looks like Plum) but others?

Suresh: not many are around I guess. These are the ones you might know:

bb and almost anyone with the address compq1.crhc.uiuc.edu - balaji, who runs dhool.com. (a hostel mate of my friend "raj")

shankar @webgate0.mot.com (shankar@webgate0.mot.com) - Wizzy was telling me one shankar who is a cousin of his. Might be him

vijay (@ 129.252.28.193) - this was vijayr, a few years ago a terror for IR fans, and kuladeivam for ARR fans in this very forum. Check out his posts then - he is actually a HCIRF. Thirisoolam Sivajis mAdhiri sErndhu sandai pOtturukkom enemies-Oda 'raj'-um ivarum ellAm :)

Rex is Rex Arul, who was the puNNiyavan who uploaded several 90s songs and several 70s songs which I didnt know then. Sadly, I dont know where he is now. He was a major contributor to me knowing several unknown musical treats of IR

Murali Sankar - alias MS alias Velaiyathavan - another of the Dhool gang.
MSK - I think he is still around in some other name as a rare poster but cant figure which (one of the many raajafans raajarasigans etc perhaps)

VELRAJA - wonder if it is none other than the Raaga expert Vel
Nagasubramanian is NagaS, indeed.

But the one feller I have been trying to locate is your namesake:Suresh (@ bowerbird.qut.edu.au - he had a very good style of writing, and once wrote a lovely post on Poove Poochadavaa(linking to his personal love story set in a Kerala village with waterways like we see in movies). Initially, nInga dhAn adhunnu nenaichEn but you confirmed it wasnt you.

Nerd
5th May 2012, 11:45 PM
paLLikkoodam pOgalaamaa - Definite miss. Holy holy holy is a miss too but thats OK. Worth illeeng. Other songs are not well known including the EA ones.

UNPP - Ennaiththottu - what an awesome song. Maanam idi idikka was a hit too. Not sure if it reached a_e :-)

tvsankar
6th May 2012, 12:06 AM
oru padathuku oru paatu dhana app.

Mannan - kumthalakadi.. pidikadha.............. Beautiful Renditiion of SPB.. Beats kuda SPB ragalai indha paatula.

jaiganes
6th May 2012, 10:29 AM
Suresh: not many are around I guess. These are the ones you might know:

bb and almost anyone with the address compq1.crhc.uiuc.edu - balaji, who runs dhool.com. (a hostel mate of my friend "raj")

shankar @webgate0.mot.com (shankar@webgate0.mot.com) - Wizzy was telling me one shankar who is a cousin of his. Might be him

vijay (@ 129.252.28.193) - this was vijayr, a few years ago a terror for IR fans, and kuladeivam for ARR fans in this very forum. Check out his posts then - he is actually a HCIRF. Thirisoolam Sivajis mAdhiri sErndhu sandai pOtturukkom enemies-Oda 'raj'-um ivarum ellAm :)

Rex is Rex Arul, who was the puNNiyavan who uploaded several 90s songs and several 70s songs which I didnt know then. Sadly, I dont know where he is now. He was a major contributor to me knowing several unknown musical treats of IR

Murali Sankar - alias MS alias Velaiyathavan - another of the Dhool gang.
MSK - I think he is still around in some other name as a rare poster but cant figure which (one of the many raajafans raajarasigans etc perhaps)

VELRAJA - wonder if it is none other than the Raaga expert Vel
Nagasubramanian is NagaS, indeed.

But the one feller I have been trying to locate is your namesake:Suresh (@ bowerbird.qut.edu.au - he had a very good style of writing, and once wrote a lovely post on Poove Poochadavaa(linking to his personal love story set in a Kerala village with waterways like we see in movies). Initially, nInga dhAn adhunnu nenaichEn but you confirmed it wasnt you.

andha archives enge kidaikkum?
I remember having posted a few around that time..

crvenky
6th May 2012, 10:47 AM
I am in this forum since 1998/99. It has been my ritual to read the posts from then (always on read-only mode).

This is one of the earliest thread that I remember starting.

http://tfmpage.com/forum/7593.5146.11.59.05.html

app_engine
6th May 2012, 07:49 PM
shankar @webgate0.mot.com (shankar@webgate0.mot.com)

He is the hubber Shankar and do not post much nowadays (showed up during pazhassi rAjA time). He also writes in dhool.com (the article about apoorva sahOdhararkaL title BGM was by him, also the one about 'Adhi ushus sandhya pooththadhevidE').

The only hubber whom I've met in person :-)

Plum
6th May 2012, 10:18 PM
Yes, yes. Same shankar.

BTW, for those who dont know( very few of you might not know), the one you see as "eden" in many of the archive links app_e gives is app_e himself.

al_gates
7th May 2012, 02:23 AM
andha archives enge kidaikkum?
I remember having posted a few around that time..

Now that jaiganesh mentions it....Last winter, I wrote a script to download all tfmpage threads(about 14,000 of them) to disk and to crunch all subthreads of a thread into a single thread(1 page showing the posts for IR's New Albums instead of 600 Old responses). In typical Indian style the job is 95% done, only the program to merge the subtopics needs to be written. Whole point is to retrieve the most popular threads and retrieve all posts by a certain postor.

Jai, what name you posted under?

Avadi to America
7th May 2012, 07:36 AM
chinnanchiru annakkiLi (enRum anbudan) - good skip. NO complaints. Not a bad song but havin covered some unbelieveable songs in this thread, skipping this one is understandable.

two SPB songs of kOvil kALai (ditto)- thenmadhurai seemai hit. Keralavaasis and the dominant-media of then sennai vaasis can be excused for not knowing this. However, as was the case then, madurai seemai welcomed this with multiple hands. "Adi Maanamadurai" is a rumbunctious song worthy of a careful close listen, app. Try it, you'll not regret.

I actually like "pallikkoodam pogalama", slightly restrained SPB-SJ-IR erotica. Only IR could make a Vijayakanth-Kanaga erotic song "exciting", if you see what I mean ;-). BTW, thanga thalaivi Devikavukku ipdi oru poNNu :(
Raasukutty - slightly painful - holi holi holi..suba laali laali laali. I always claim that lyrics dont matter as long as the music conveys the emotions however some Raja albums sorely tested that resolve during these days. This on was prime among those. Well, ofcourse, there is always the iru kodugal philosophy. The hindi remake had lyrics that went "sarkailo khatiya..." etc etc with Govinda-Karishma, and some dustbin mu-sick.

ithai naan appadiey vazhi mozhikiren....Kanakallam rajinikuda jodiya.... EKTI

jaiganes
7th May 2012, 07:57 AM
Now that jaiganesh mentions it....Last winter, I wrote a script to download all tfmpage threads(about 14,000 of them) to disk and to crunch all subthreads of a thread into a single thread(1 page showing the posts for IR's New Albums instead of 600 Old responses). In typical Indian style the job is 95% done, only the program to merge the subtopics needs to be written. Whole point is to retrieve the most popular threads and retrieve all posts by a certain postor.

Jai, what name you posted under?

marandhu poachu raasa.. anegama jaiganes illai ganes indha maadhiri ezhavu dhaan..