PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Forever

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

VinodKumar's
17th April 2015, 07:07 PM
Moflis mandaiya :clap:.

raagadevan
17th April 2015, 09:04 PM
...and Nadal (beats Ferrer 6-4, 7-5, 6-2) will face Djokovic (beats Cilic 6-0, 6-3) in the other semifinal match!

raagadevan
18th April 2015, 08:29 AM
Rafa & Novak - The rivalry...

From the ATP News; April 17, 2015

Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will clash for a record 43rd time in their storied rivalry in the semi-finals of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/Rivalries/Nadal-Djokovic-Rivalry.aspx

raagadevan
18th April 2015, 08:51 PM
Rafa played well, but Novak played better! It will be Berdych and Djokovic in tomorrow's final. (Note: I was hoping for a Monfils/Nadal match!)

VinodKumar's
18th April 2015, 09:41 PM
Expecting a Bagel ;).

Arvind Srinivasan
18th April 2015, 11:37 PM
Can't get any better for Djokovic to get the win tomorrow for the title. Monfils should be kicking himself. Beating Federer and Dimitrov only to get routined by Berdych. It's a pattern that's become all too common in Monfils career. An irritating one imho.

Arvind Srinivasan
18th April 2015, 11:44 PM
Rafa played well, but Novak played better! It will be Berdych and Djokovic in tomorrow's final. (Note: I was hoping for a Monfils/Nadal match!)

Nadal played one of his best matches of the year in my opinion. He fought hard and at places shouldn't have lost his service game. Losing the 7th game in the 2nd set from 40-0. Had he had played at the level he was exhibiting in the hard court season, it would have been disastrously one sided. Before the match, the guy had just beaten one player in the top ten this year and so to expect him to topple Djokovic would just be asking too much of him I feel. Anyways I feel he should be ready to go once the French Open kicks in. Expecting a Federer/Nadal SF. Oh wait, first Federer's got to get to that stage. Athuve ippa kelvi kuriyaa irukku...

raagadevan
19th April 2015, 04:00 AM
Expecting a Bagel ;).

May be! :) But Berdych seems to be in form to get at least a couple of games in each set!

Monfils should be kicking himself. Beating Federer and Dimitrov only to get routined by Berdych. It's a pattern that's become all too common in Monfils career. An irritating one imho.

Monfils seem to care more about entertaining the crowd than winning matches. I think he is still playing without a coach!

Nadal played one of his best matches of the year in my opinion. He fought hard and at places shouldn't have lost his service game. Losing the 7th game in the 2nd set from 40-0.

Yes, this was probably the best Nadal has played in almost a year. When he was ahead 40-0 in 7th game/2nd set, I was sure there would be a third set. I bet it will take a long time (if ever) for him to forget how he blew it with that one game! If he continues to improve in the "confidence" department, the rest of the clay court tournaments would be very interesting.

JamesDap
19th April 2015, 08:53 AM
Nadal is def playing way better than in the hard season. His returns were too loopy and let him down against Nole. Still, looks like Rafa's back at least for now. King of clay won't give up his fort so easily. Fed-appa, vittutunga, you have no chance. :mrgreen: Take a break, practice more on grass. Might win more tournaments in the grass season then.

ajithfederer
19th April 2015, 09:22 PM
7-5 to nole

6-4 to berdych

3rd set noow

Arvind Srinivasan
19th April 2015, 09:27 PM
Bagel incoming.

raagadevan
19th April 2015, 10:07 PM
No bagel! It is 7-5, 4-6, 6-3. Congratulations to Djokovic! :clap:

Arvind Srinivasan
19th April 2015, 10:55 PM
^ Hahaa..Seeing the way Berdych played the opening few games of the 3rd, I thought he had given it all up. Though he tried his best , the result was never in doubt. With the way he's playing and with no one in near sight of defeating him (Except probably Federer in one odd day), Djokovic has the unique chance of sweeping all the masters and the grandslams this year. While its close to being improbable I would definitely say he's got a shot at it.

VinodKumar's
20th April 2015, 11:51 AM
Cha Bagel miss aagiruchu :lol:.

JamesDap
20th April 2015, 09:45 PM
^ Hahaa..Seeing the way Berdych played the opening few games of the 3rd, I thought he had given it all up. Though he tried his best , the result was never in doubt. With the way he's playing and with no one in near sight of defeating him (Except probably Federer in one odd day), Djokovic has the unique chance of sweeping all the masters and the grandslams this year. While its close to being improbable I would definitely say he's got a shot at it.

Ditto. Feels like 2011 all over again. In 2011, it was Fed who denied Djoko a shot at the RG title, something that doesn't look possible on current and recent form of both on clay. I had thought Djoko would follow up 2011 with a calendar slam in 2012 but he regressed into a self doubting phase. Now he's back and all the others in the big three have dropped their level a bit. Murray less so but then he wasn't even a threat to Djoko in 2011 and he's not at his 2012-13 level yet. Yup, might just do it this year.

raagadevan
21st April 2015, 12:16 AM
Top Monte-Carlo "hotshots"...

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/04/15/Monte-Carlo-Top-Hot-Shots.aspx

Arvind Srinivasan
21st April 2015, 12:42 AM
Ditto. Feels like 2011 all over again. In 2011, it was Fed who denied Djoko a shot at the RG title, something that doesn't look possible on current and recent form of both on clay. I had thought Djoko would follow up 2011 with a calendar slam in 2012 but he regressed into a self doubting phase. Now he's back and all the others in the big three have dropped their level a bit. Murray less so but then he wasn't even a threat to Djoko in 2011 and he's not at his 2012-13 level yet. Yup, might just do it this year.

This clay season is going to be very interesting. If Nadal drops out of the top four, there is a 25 percent chance that he could meet Federer or Djokovic in the quarters itself. I wonder if Djokovic would prefer facing him at an earlier stage than the final. The pressure of a finale might get to him. But all said and done, this is the year for Djokovic to get the coveted RG title, I feel. He's playing like a dream, the field is weak which guarantees him a place in the final if he plays to potential.

raagadevan
22nd April 2015, 08:42 PM
Djoker the joker (2008) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XDj4d7nKw

raagadevan
23rd April 2015, 09:27 AM
Fit of Laughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xyOpETYYs

raagadevan
23rd April 2015, 10:40 PM
Fognini ousts Nadal 6-4, 7-6 in Barcelona!

ajithfederer
25th April 2015, 11:55 AM
At 27 and in the long run with fitness by his side, Djokovic is more poised to overhaul Federer's trophy count. Federer is at 84 in 33. Djokovic is 52 or 53 at 27.

This clay season is going to be very interesting. If Nadal drops out of the top four, there is a 25 percent chance that he could meet Federer or Djokovic in the quarters itself. I wonder if Djokovic would prefer facing him at an earlier stage than the final. The pressure of a finale might get to him. But all said and done, this is the year for Djokovic to get the coveted RG title, I feel. He's playing like a dream, the field is weak which guarantees him a place in the final if he plays to potential.

ajithfederer
25th April 2015, 12:04 PM
Yes. Federer did a stupid thing by defeating djokovic in 2011. He was in awesome form then.

Coming to this year, Form wise i think it will be Novak. But then again when it comes to clay grandslams and 5 setters my money would be on Nadal.

raagadevan
26th April 2015, 10:32 AM
Yes. Federer did a stupid thing by defeating djokovic in 2011.

Siva sivaa... enna solreengO? Federer doing a "stupid" thing? அப்படி எதுவும் நடக்காது, நடக்கவும் கூடாது!! He is almost like God almighty! How can anyone use the word "stupid" in the same sentence that has Federer's name in it? ;)

raagadevan
26th April 2015, 10:56 AM
By the way, tomorrow's final match in Barcelona will feature reigning champion and first seeded (ranked 5th in the world) Kei Nishikori who defeated unseeded (ranked 28th in the world) Martin Kližan; and unseeded (ranked 66th in the world) Pablo Andujar who defeated 3rd seeded (ranked 8th in the world) David Ferrer!

Arvind Srinivasan
27th April 2015, 01:14 AM
Yes. Federer did a stupid thing by defeating djokovic in 2011. He was in awesome form then.

Coming to this year, Form wise i think it will be Novak. But then again when it comes to clay grandslams and 5 setters my money would be on Nadal.

At 27 and in the long run with fitness by his side, Djokovic is more poised to overhaul Federer's trophy count. Federer is at 84 in 33. Djokovic is 52 or 53 at 27.

Djokovic does have a shot. But I feel this achievement in the making is still a long way off from even being discussed. Probably after 2016. As far as this clay court season is concerned, Nadal is still the favourite albeit not by much of a distance though since Djokovic comes a close second and I find no one else to be in the picture. I want Federer to win Roland Garros but critically speaking, his chances are minimal if not zilch. Federer could have taken the FO'11 to a decider. Had a break in the first, let it go, lost the set and was looking down the barrel after that. He played well actually. Just not enough to get him over the line.

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd May 2015, 12:46 AM
Mutua Madrid Open draw-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CD7yfZPWYAAcM01.jpg

ajithfederer
9th May 2015, 09:57 AM
Nadal/Murray/Berdych and Nishikori into madrid semis

ajithfederer
9th May 2015, 10:14 AM
1. He is motivated
2. He is Fit
3. He has age on his side.

He will be only 28 this May. And he has another good 3-4 playing years with him and i cant see much competition coming in.

Djokovic does have a shot. But I feel this achievement in the making is still a long way off from even being discussed. Probably after 2016. As far as this clay court season is concerned, Nadal is still the favourite albeit not by much of a distance though since Djokovic comes a close second and I find no one else to be in the picture. I want Federer to win Roland Garros but critically speaking, his chances are minimal if not zilch. Federer could have taken the FO'11 to a decider. Had a break in the first, let it go, lost the set and was looking down the barrel after that. He played well actually. Just not enough to get him over the line.

ajithfederer
15th May 2015, 10:38 AM
I had a dream that Djokovic is winning the first 3 slams this year. Lets see how right/wrong I am. :lol:

JamesDap
16th May 2015, 09:05 AM
Well, Fed failed to meet Nadal in the Rome semis but it didn't turn out the way it was expected. Fed beat Berdych while Nadal played pretty horrid tennis to lose to Wawrinka.

ajithfederer
16th May 2015, 10:28 AM
Rafael Nadal is entering unfamiliar territory

After losing to Stan Wawrinka in straight sets Friday night in the quarter-finals of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, the Spaniard’s seeding fate in Paris was sealed: He will be seeded no higher than seventh at Roland Garros, where he will attempt to win his tenth title.

“I’m going to be ranked lower than ever playing Roland Garros, so that will mean the chance to play against very tough opponents,” Nadal said. “At the same time, if I go to Roland Garros and I lose and I don’t play well, life continues. It’s not the end of the world.

“I won so many times there… It’s normal that I could lose. Losing is part of life. I can be there, play bad and lose early, but I’m going to fight to change that and try to fight again to have a good tournament.”

Other unfamiliar territory for the Spaniard is that of his title drought leading into the Grand Slam on clay. This is the first time in 10 years that Nadal has not won a European ATP World Tour clay-court title in the lead-up to Roland Garros.

Here is a look at his year-by-year titles during the European clay court circuit:

2014 – Madrid
2013 – Barcelona, Madrid, Rome
2012 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2011 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona
2010 – Monte-Carlo, Rome, Madrid
2009 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2008 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Hamburg
2007 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2006 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2005 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome

Nadal's loss to Wawrinka halted his chance to win at least one clay-court title leading into Roland Garros for the 11th straight year.

“I didn’t have enough luck,” he said. “In some moments, he played aggressive. He hit amazing shots in a lot of moments. He was on fire for a moment; lots of amazing shots. I congratulate him. I lost in the quarter-finals, but I had two weeks in a row playing well.”

Despite not hoisting a trophy prior to Roland Garros, Nadal won his 65th ATP World Tour title, his 46th on clay, in February in Buenos Aires. Prior to his victory in Argentina, his most recent title before that win was at the 2014 Roland Garros (d. Djokovic).

“The only thing that I am sure of is I’m going to try,” said Nadal. “The goal in Paris will always be the same one. I feel I’m playing well. I am confident that if I am able to play without nerves – I didn’t play with nerves today, I didn’t play with nerves most of the time the last three weeks, and that’s the most important thing for me.

"If I am able to control that, I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’m going to fight for it."

The 2015 Roland Garros draw will be made next Friday, 22 May. The tournament begins 24 May.

Did You Know?

Nadal dropped to No. 7 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on Monday, putting him outside of the Top 5 for the first time in a decade (No. 7 – 2 May 2005).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/05/19/Rome-Friday-Nadal-Reaction.aspx

JamesDap
16th May 2015, 12:25 PM
Well, if it wasn't nerves, then what was it that cost him the first set from set point in the tiebreak? Of course, I am sure Rafa knows what the problem is and would just rather not admit to it openly in public and thereby concede a weakness. But he's losing some of these matches in his head. Wawrinka has played better than this. But Rafa's forehands were so short that he really didn't do enough to bother Wawrinka.

omega
23rd May 2015, 04:42 PM
French draw looks good for Fed.

1R - Falla
2R - Granollers
3R - Youzhny/Karlovic
4R - Cuevas / Monfills
QF - Wawrinka
SF - Nishikori/Berdych
F - Nadal/Novak/Murray

A dream draw for Fed. Other than Monfills he shouldn't have much trouble reaching SF. However at this stage in Clay nothing is given.
The same draw in Wimbledon could have done wonders.

With Nole, Nadal set to meet in QF this FO seems to be much more wide open.

Arvind Srinivasan
23rd May 2015, 11:24 PM
Monfils will be difficult. Federer's lost twice in a row against him with both on clay. Monfils will move heaven and earth to win this....

omega
24th May 2015, 07:55 PM
Federer wins 1R against Falla 6-3, 6-3, 6-4.
He was average overall, however BP conversion (3/17 or something) as thru' his whole career is major concern.

Mats Wilander in the commentary box was proving yet again what a comedy piece he is.
The other commentator asks Mat, if he sees Federer losing a step compared to 5-6 years?
Mats reply, not really, if anything he has improved to what 5 or 6 years ago with his new racquet.
His poor results in majors last 5-6 years are due to his lack of mental strength/confidence.
The height of it was, back 5-6 years ago there were not players like Cilic who could take it to him...
So his point is Federer dominated in a weak era. A much better version of him struggles in stronger era....

Mat, were you able to hold a racquet when you were 33-34 & play at a level Roger is doing after having played more than 1200 matches on the tour.
Don't embarass yourself further....

raagadevan
27th May 2015, 06:09 PM
Leander Paes: The Prince Of India

"ATPWorldTour.com pays tribute to Leander Paes, who has recorded his 700th doubles match win".

-By James Buddell, ATP News, May 27, 2015

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/05/21/Paes-700-Match-Wins-Tribute.aspx

ajithfederer
27th May 2015, 08:33 PM
Nadal Says He Asked to Have Carlos Bernardes Not Officiate His Matches

https://youtu.be/FOY1scQtjZA
- See more at: http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/Nadal-Says-He-Asked-to-Have-Carlos-Bernardes-Not-O.aspx#sthash.jnCERnOp.dpuf

Rafael Nadal confirmed the rumors that started to circulate last week when Simon Briggs of the Telegraph wrote this piece. Basically, the piece suggested that Nadal used his influence to get Bernardes banned from his matches after the pair had a disagreement in Rio.

Nadal confirmed this rumors after his first-round victory in Paris on Tuesday.

While Nadal’s revelation will likely be met with some disappointment in the ATP, Briggs himself wrote in the article that the organization has seen to it that umpires who have had run-ins with players have been removed before.

Still, many will agree that it’s a slippery slope we are treading when star players get to have a say in who officiates or doesn’t officiate their matches.

Nadal explained the incident, and what led to his request from the ATP in full in his press conference in Paris today.
Q. Can you tell me what happened with Bernardes? Is it true the situation he cannot umpire your matches, or do you know anything about it? Because I read it, but I have no exactly the clue what happened.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is easy, no? There is a lot of umpires on the tour. I respect a lot Bernardes. I consider him a great umpire and a good person, but I think when you have some troubles with the same umpire, sometimes it's easy to stay for a while away, no? I think that's the real thing. I think is better for both of us if we are not in court at the same time for a while after what happened in Rio de Janeiro. That's it. No problem with him personally.

Q. But not your request?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it was my request, and the ATP talking about -- well, I asked if it's possible, but nothing personal against him 100%. I respect him like umpire, I respect him like person, and I consider him a good person more than that. So for me is not -- I am not happy with that situation. That's the first thing. Because I would love to have Bernardes on the court again. Will happen, but, you know, I think for both of us it is better to have a break, you know. We had some problems. For me he hasn't -- he was not enough respectful with me in Rio de Janeiro . That was my feeling when I put my shorts the other way. He wants to put me warnings four times, that's fine. But if I put my shorts other way and I ask him if I can change my shorts, I can put my shorts the right way, and his answer is, Yes, but you will receive a time warning. For me, that's not fair, you know, (smiling.) When something like that, something like this did happen on court, that I think is not fair. I think is, you know, shows not respect, because I cannot play a full game with the shorts the other way. So it's better. It's better to be away for a while. That's all. No personal problem with him, no? Seriously, I'm not saying that because I am in front of you. I respect him, I like him, but he was not right. And I believe that is for relationship and everything is better to be away for a bit.

Later in the day, Novak Djokovic was asked if he'd ever encountered similar experiences in his career with umpires, and he replied that he's had his differences but never felt the need to ask to be kept away from an umpire.

"There are some chair umpires in some matches that I remember that I wasn't very happy with how they did their job, but I never thought of requesting a chair umpire not to ever or whatever, for a certain time, be a chair umpire in my matches," Djokovic said. "I don't think that's fair. I don't think that's fair to them. You know, they do their job as best as they can. Of course, sometimes they do it better or worse."

To be fair to both Djokovic and Nadal, it didn't appear that Djokovic was briefed on the story about Nadal before he was asked the question. He was asked the question in a press conference, and the reporter who asked made no mention of Nadal's comments or situation. Whether or not Djokovic knows about Nadal and Bernardes' rift was not made clear.

Nadal will be in action again on Thursday when he faces his compatriot Nicolas Almagro in the second round.

- See more at: http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/Nadal-Says-He-Asked-to-Have-Carlos-Bernardes-Not-O.aspx#sthash.jnCERnOp.dpuf

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/Nadal-Says-He-Asked-to-Have-Carlos-Bernardes-Not-O.aspx

ajithfederer
27th May 2015, 10:16 PM
Mats Wilander is a @@#$ ba@!#u!!. Avan pesaradhai ellam edhukku kekkuringa,omega !?

JamesDap
28th May 2015, 08:51 PM
Yeah, anybody with a brain can see Fed has slowed down. And slowed down since 2008 or so. LOL @ Fed not having had to face strong players like Cilic in his prime. Yeah, like how Nadal was such a weakling in 2006 and 07 Wimbledon? Or how Safin, Hewitt, Roddick grand slam winners all were hopeless? Sure, the Big Four era is a strong one but there is nothing to show that Fed too is playing better than in his prime. Since the Big Four era is strong anyway, why does it bother the Rafa-Nole fans so much that it doesn't have a prime Fed?

omega
29th May 2015, 05:06 AM
The argument is,
Nadal was still a baby in grass till 2008, infant in hardcourt till 2010 & continues to be developing on indoors till date.
Novak didn't mature until 2011 so any beatings by Federer prior won't count much.
Murray didn't break through till 2012 Olympics, so any prior beatings by Federer naturally won't count....

Once they all showed up a much improved version of Federer (supremely primed version) struggles against everyone of them..

And 'Mad Foolander' is not alone in this argument...
They simply can't digest Fed is still ranked as high as No.2 in the world.

omega
29th May 2015, 05:09 AM
Federer has not only lost a step, his biggest weapon FH has declined considerably that it doesn't penetrate as much.
His serve (still solid) has lost that extra bite that it used to have.

JamesDap
29th May 2015, 05:50 AM
Federer has not only lost a step, his biggest weapon FH has declined considerably that it doesn't penetrate as much.

Yeah, that too, but more recently. He first began to shank it wildly in 2013. Then after changing racquets he got back some control but the power is gone. Even against Granollers, though he won, there was no depth on the forehand and it didn't bother Granollers at all. All inevitable given his age. Would love to hear Foolander's explanation for Fed's victory over Djoko in 2012 Wimby. Oh, I go it, ONLY because roof was closed, right? Whatever. I would readily accept that Nadal gets to Fed, it's just a bad match up for Fed and has been since Miami 2004. But I don't see anything to suggest that once Djoko and Murray matured, Fed was simply not good enough to touch them. Fed still beats Djoko once in a while in 1000 and 500 events, beat Murray in AO last year. If he can do that in his 30s, isn't it insane to pretend a 23-24 year old Fed was lucky not to have to face them in their prime?

omega
29th May 2015, 06:52 AM
Right, Nadal troubled Federer on his least fav. surface in their very first meeting @ 2004 Miami masters.
Federer being the undisputed No.1 & Humble Bull ranked 30+ won in straight sets.
Quite mysterious that it took him another 5 years to win AO & 6 years to win USO. Right we get that, he was still developing his hardcourt game.
Never showed up in these grandslams while Federer was trashing everyone.
Just look @ 2013 alone, an injury bothered year when they met 4 times. Compare that to Bulls bad years 2014 & 2015 when they have met just once...
Thats how it goes. Cherry picker knows when to pick cherries..

omega
30th May 2015, 05:20 AM
Olderer to meet his recent clay nemesis Clownfills in the 4th round on Sunday.
The last 2 meetings (Davis Cup 2014 & Monte Carlo 2015) Clownfills has been able to get Olderer in straight sets.
Just like the Davis Cup match this would be in front of his home crowd, if anything even at a bigger stage. Will be a tough match.
I expect a much better performance from Federer this time around. Roger in 4 sets or Monfills in 5 (yet another).

ajithfederer
30th May 2015, 09:34 AM
Dheivame :notworthy:. Never stop writing here boss.

Right, Nadal troubled Federer on his least fav. surface in their very first meeting @ 2004 Miami masters.
Federer being the undisputed No.1 & Humble Bull ranked 30+ won in straight sets.
Quite mysterious that it took him another 5 years to win AO & 6 years to win USO. Right we get that, he was still developing his hardcourt game.
Never showed up in these grandslams while Federer was trashing everyone.
Just look @ 2013 alone, an injury bothered year when they met 4 times. Compare that to Bulls bad years 2014 & 2015 when they have met just once...
Thats how it goes. Cherry picker knows when to pick cherries..

Arvind Srinivasan
31st May 2015, 11:47 PM

Got to agree. At times his FH is so unreliable that I sort of hope he gets to his BH wing. That's improved a lot with the larger racquet.

JamesDap
1st June 2015, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, except on grass, his BH is not a weapon the top guys would fear. At Rome, Djoko simply ran around his backhand and kept hitting low off forehands to Fed's backhand slice until he eventually put it out of his reach. Fed is not as comfortable driving his backhand as Wawrinka, who would have simply spanked a winner if anybody tried to open up his backhand corner so much. Never was, in fact, but earlier he had such a massive forehand and could run around his BH.

omega
1st June 2015, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, except on grass, his BH is not a weapon the top guys would fear. At Rome, Djoko simply ran around his backhand and kept hitting low off forehands to Fed's backhand slice until he eventually put it out of his reach. Fed is not as comfortable driving his backhand as Wawrinka, who would have simply spanked a winner if anybody tried to open up his backhand corner so much. Never was, in fact, but earlier he had such a massive forehand and could run around his BH.

Fed's BH slice is a great shot in any surface other than clay off-course where it doesn't skid for it be effective.
He mostly mixes it up with a combination of slices & drives at varying lengths/ angles finally opening up the court for the winner/drawing the error.
These days mostly he just ball bashes ending up feeding quite a few sitting ducks.
Overall I am still impressed with his level of play @ 33 in clay especially even if he loses to Monfills today.

VinodKumar's
1st June 2015, 05:52 PM
even if he loses to Monfills today.

no problem dude. he is winning :).

VinodKumar's
1st June 2015, 06:01 PM
Roger into QF. He will play Wawrinka tomorrow.

JamesDap
2nd June 2015, 05:45 AM
Fed's BH slice is a great shot in any surface other than clay off-course where it doesn't skid for it be effective.
He mostly mixes it up with a combination of slices & drives at varying lengths/ angles finally opening up the court for the winner/drawing the error.
These days mostly he just ball bashes ending up feeding quite a few sitting ducks.
Overall I am still impressed with his level of play @ 33 in clay especially even if he loses to Monfills today.

Of course his slice is a great shot but it's still a slice and it's tough to hit winners off a slice unless he converts it into a drop. So opponents know they are in the rally as long as they are targeting Fed's BH and he is in a mood to go for the slice. Even on hard courts, the increased friction on the surface in the last few years can make the slice sit up a bit. It works best on grass. Yes, that apart, no doubt this has been a pretty good clay court season for him, reaching the QFs again after last year's debacle and the 3rd round exit at this year's AO.

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd June 2015, 09:32 AM
Federer's game at the moment is so ill suited to clay. He becomes an easy target running the risk of getting passed every time he wishes to come towards the net and become aggressive. And his baseline game is too meek to compensate for the ineffectiveness of his aggressive play. And Federer at a lot of times just pushes to get the opponent to make the mistake. Did that against Monfils yesterday. Just that Monfils didn't show up for the last two sets. Apart from his serve, it is the variety that he brings into play that's helping him win matches. Probably not against the likes of Novak but definitely against the lesser players

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd June 2015, 09:35 AM
Of course his slice is a great shot but it's still a slice and it's tough to hit winners off a slice unless he converts it into a drop. So opponents know they are in the rally as long as they are targeting Fed's BH and he is in a mood to go for the slice. Even on hard courts, the increased friction on the surface in the last few years can make the slice sit up a bit. It works best on grass. Yes, that apart, no doubt this has been a pretty good clay court season for him, reaching the QFs again after last year's debacle and the 3rd round exit at this year's AO.

A thing that I have noticed for the past few seasons is Federer's reluctance to employ the drop shot. He's doing it so sparingly that it looks like it's not a part of his game plan anymore. He employed the shot time and time again to great use in the 09 clay season. That shot won him the trophy that year.

JamesDap
3rd June 2015, 05:43 AM
Man, Wawrinka was brutal. Fed actually bottled up his BH very well and by his recent standards played a relatively tight match. But Wawrinka came up with a forehand clinic yesterday, served really well too even if he could have put more first serves in. All the pre tournament talk centred on Djoko, Murray and, as the defending champ and clay court God, Nadal. But Wawrinka could well spring a surprise and spoil their party...if that is he can get past Tsonga who also looks rejuvenated.

raagadevan
7th June 2015, 09:55 PM
Stan Wawrinka beats Novak Djokovic to win the French Open… Congratulations! :clap:

ajithfederer
7th June 2015, 10:19 PM
One of the greatest backhand performances in a grandslam final I've seen in a very long time. Such precision and power. Devastating, demoralizing and simply superb. Richly deserves the french crown.

:clap: :bow: :clap:

omega
7th June 2015, 11:50 PM
Kudos to Stanimal on winning his second major. A former junior French Open champion (2003) ultimately comes live on his favorite surface. When he is on he can just crush anyone. Glad that he didn't end up as a lone slam winner.

One has to feel sorry for Nole. He has been trying desperately hard to win the FO ever since his breakaway year 2011.
Both his best years 2011 & 2015 he had been stopped by a Swiss in his attempt to win FO. But he will get his chances. Fed was able to win his FO in his 4th Final. May be Novak can win in his next attempt (if he can make it to finals),

JamesDap
8th June 2015, 06:01 AM
^^^ Unfortunately for Nole, the field is wide open now whereas in 2009 it was either Fed or Rafa and then daylight. The problem is Nole wants it bad and he is going to take these knocks very badly by the looks of it. Who's to say that if Friday's play wasn't interrupted would Nole still have beaten Murray.

Anyhow, no such ifs and buts in Wawrinka's case. Just sheer brilliance. For a set, he allowed Djoko's slow, heavy balls to bog him down but thereafter he began to make the play and forced the issue. Once he did that, Djoko simply couldn't contain him. I was saying before the match that Wawrinka's problem is he stands far back behind the baseline and takes the ball when it has lost all his pace. Well, he even punished Djoko for short balls by stepping in and hitting on the rise for good measure. He came much fewer times to the net than Djoko but had more success on his approaches. Lastly, an ever reliable serve like his more illustrious compatriot. Where Djoko had to turn to the 2nd serve too often by the 3rd and 4th sets, Wawrinka was still producing a devastating 1st serve.

venkkiram
8th June 2015, 08:30 AM
2015 ஃப்ரெஞ்ச் கோப்பைத் தொடரில் ஜொகொவிற்கு மிகவும் சவாலாக இருந்த ஆட்டங்கள் அரையிறுதியும், இறுதியும்தான். முரேவுடனான அரையிறுதியில் வெற்றி என்பது நான்கு செட்கள் வரை பறிக்கமுடியாத கனியாக ஜொகொவிற்கு இருந்தாலும், ஐந்தாவது செட்டில் கவனம் தவறிய முரேவை 6-1 என்ற பலத்த வித்தியாசத்தில் பதம் பார்த்துவிட்டார் ஜொகொ. ஃப்ரெஞ்ச் கோப்பையின் ராஜா என கருதப்பட்ட நடால் கூட அந்த அளவுக்கு ஒரு சவாலை தந்துவிடவில்லை. நடாலால் ஒரு செட் கூட கைப்பற்ற முடியாதது தற்போதைய காலகட்டத்தில் அவரது திறமின்மையை காட்டுகிறது.

அதுபோல வாவ்ரிங்காவிற்கு இந்தத் தொடரில் ஒரளவுக்கு சவாலைத் தந்த ஆட்டங்கள் அரையிறுதி, இறுதியும் தான். அரையிறுதியில் சாங்கா இரு செட்டுகளில் டைபிரேக்கர் வரை கொண்டு சென்றது குறிப்பிடத் தக்கது. தனிப்பட்ட முறையில் இறுதி ஆட்டத்தைவிட, வாவ்ரிங்கா-சாங்கா அரையிறுதி ஆட்டம் மிகவும் பிடித்திருந்தது.

மொத்தத்தில் 2015 ஃப்ரெஞ்ச் கோப்பைத் தொடர் மறக்கமுடியாத ஆட்டங்களை தந்தது என்பேன். இறுதிவரை வந்த ஜொகொ, வாவ்ரிங்கா இருவரிடமும் நடால் ஃபெடரர் காலிறுதியில் ஒரு செட் கூட ஜெயிக்கமுடியாமல் போனது கவனிக்க வேண்டிய விஷயம். அதிலும் நடாலின் தோல்வி மிகப்பெரிய ஒன்று. ஃபெடரர் கூட ஒரளவிற்கு நன்றாகவே ஈடுகொடுத்தார் வாவ்ரிங்காவிற்கு.

அடுத்தடுத்த வருடங்களில் முரே, நிஷிகோரி இருவருமே அரையிறுதி, இறுதிவரை வர வாய்ப்பிருக்கிறது. சாங்காவுடனான நிஷிகொரியின் ஆட்டம் சிறப்பாக இருந்தது. சென்ற ஆண்டு நேர் செட்டுகளில் நடாலிடம் மோசமான தோல்வியை தழுவிய முரேவிற்கு இந்த ஆண்டு குறிப்பிடத்தக்க முன்னேற்றம்.

வாவ்ரிங்காவிடம் பிடித்த விஷயம்.. மிகவும் லாவகமாக, சுலபமாக ஜொகொவிக்கின் ஒவ்வொரு சர்வ் பந்தினையும் மனிதனில்லா இடத்திற்கு (no man’s land) அனுப்புவது. அடுத்ததாக வின்னர்ஸ். அரையிறுதியிலும் சரி, இறுதியிலும் சரி.. அறுபது முறை வின்னர்ஸ். ஒரு-கை பின்னாட்டத்தில் மிகவேகமான , குறிப்பிடத்தக்க முகவரியை டென்னிஸ் உலகிற்கு வழங்கி கொண்டிருக்கிறார். களத்தின் எதிரெதிர் முனைகளுக்கு குறுக்காகவும், இணையாகவும் வெற்றிகளை தரவல்ல ஒரு-கை பின்னாட்டம் அவருடையது.

மூன்றாவது முறையாக இறுதி ஆட்டம் வரை வந்த ஜொகொவிற்கு வெற்றிக்கனி இன்னும் கைவராதது வருத்தம்தான். இம்முறை ஒன்பது வருட களிமண் தரை சாம்பியனான நடாலை வென்று வெற்றிகொண்டு பெரியதொரு முற்றுப்புள்ளி வைத்தது சாதனை. நடாலின் தற்போதைய ஆட்டத் திறமின்மையை கருதினால் நிஷிகோரி, சாங்கா, முரே, வாவ்ரிங்கா போன்றவர்களிடமும் எதிர்த்து விளையாடிருந்தால் கூட தோற்றிருக்கக் கூடும்.

தொடர்ந்து ஃபெடரர் காலிறுதி, அரையிறுதி வரை வருவதே மிகப்பெரிய சாதனை. ஆண்கள் டென்னிசில் கடந்த சில பல வருடங்களாக நிறைய மனிதர்கள் கொடுக்கும் கடும் சவால்களை தாக்குபிடித்து ஃபெடரர் கோலோச்சி வருவது அவரது தேர்ந்த ஆட்டத் திறனையும், விடாமுயற்சியினையும், பலமான அஸ்திவாரத்தினையும் காட்டுகிறது.

ஒருவரை பற்றி நினைத்தாலே பரிதாபமே மேலோங்குகிறது. ஃபெர்ரர். 90களின் இறுதியில், 2000களின் ஆரம்பங்களில் ஒருவேளை இவர் விளையாடியிருந்தால் ஒருசில கோப்பைகளை வென்றிருக்கக் கூடும். குறைந்த பட்சம் காலிறுதி, அரையிறுதிக்கு வந்துவிடுகிறார். ஒரே ஒருமுறை மட்டுமே இறுதிவரை சென்றிருக்கிறார். 2013 ஃபிரஞ்ச் ஓபன் இறுதியில் தன் சொந்த நாட்டுக்காரரான நடாலிடம் தோல்வி கண்டார். பாவம்.

raagadevan
8th June 2015, 10:42 AM
Who is the real GOAT (Greatest Of All Times) tennis player? The Roland Garros Tournament of 2015 has made the answer to this question murkier than before!

First of all, Stan Wawrinka defeated #2 ranked Roger Federer and #1 ranked Novak Djokovitch to win his second Grand Slam title. He proved that a player does not have to be “superhuman” to win a Grand Slam championship at or after age 30 years. Stan also showed that a good player could defeat the highest ranked and the best ever players to win a grand slam title; not below-par players like some others have done before.

Even with what many called a “cake walk” draw, Roger Federer could not go beyond the quarterfinal round. Stan made “goat”-curry out of Roger! By the way, many folks consider Roger to be the “GOAT”! Even though Roger lost his quarterfinal match, he maintained his #2 ATP ranking for the week!

The next contender for the “GOAT” title Rafa Nadal showed that he is in what appears to be an irreversible decline in playing skills and mental toughness. He also lost in the quarterfinal like Roger, but his ATP ranking for the week slid down to #10 from #7!

Novak, who is an up and coming contender for the “GOAT” title, failed again in his attempt to win a Career Grand Slam in tennis.

Andy Murray demonstrated that his playing skills on clay have improved dramatically.

Under these circumstances, will the real GOAT in tennis please stand up?!

ajithfederer
8th June 2015, 10:47 AM
raagadevan, jealousy and hypocrisy much??. Have some gelusil please and go cry in a corner over Nadal's steady decline.

raagadevan
8th June 2015, 11:06 AM
raagadevan, jealousy and hypocrisy much??. Have some gelusil please and go cry in a corner over Nadal's steady decline.

Is that the best that you (the Federer apologist) could come up with? Really? What a pity! :-D

ajithfederer
8th June 2015, 11:11 AM
The pity is you have used absolutely no tennis knowledge or commonsensein your post. Federer is at 33 entering Q/Fs and S/Fs consistently in majors and still holds the world number 2 rank. if you had forgotten he has 17 majors and 300 weeks at Number 1. That is the standard everyone strives to achieve including Nadal. That is GOAT. No one else has that numbers, baby.

In the not so curious and blatantly obvious case of Nadal, who has been consistently on the decline for the last 18 months (thanks to himself and his uncle) people forget he is still only 29 and supposed to be in his prime. At 28-29 Roger was winning slams and already a holder to an insane number of streaks and records which will stand the test of time. GOAT Material AGAIN.

In addition to the embarassment of losing to 100+ ranked players, three years in a row be prepared to get your ass handed again when you are seeded 10th or whatever this year in Wimbledon again. Nadal loses the GOAT candidacy right here for this.

ajithfederer
8th June 2015, 11:14 AM
Asking umpires to be removed from officiating his games as the referee called bullshit on his time wasting, unsportsmanlike conducts is what is the absolute pity of all.

raagadevan
8th June 2015, 11:44 AM
No one else has that numbers, baby.

"baby"? You silly whatever you are! Everyone other than the Federer fanatics like you knows how the draws were fixed and the statistics have been manipulated over the years by ATP, Nike and other "criminal" elements who were betting on tennis matches to portray Federer as the GOAT. If you fell for that, that is your problem! You, like some of my other friends, are beyond redemption! I give up! I will not be responding to any more of the chilidish postings about Federer being the goat! Good luck to you and your hero!

ajithfederer
8th June 2015, 12:19 PM
How convenient of you. I argued with facts. You resort to conspiracy theories. What else can anyone expect?

If anybody needs luck it is you and your injury ridden star. One can at-least feel sad for nadal but not for fan boys like you. Don't bother replying.

JamesDap
8th June 2015, 05:36 PM
Clutching at straws now that no. 17 is beginning to look distant and out of reach. I still think he has a decent shot at it if he gets back in shape, but that's a big if. Now even weak era argument is gone, just draw manipulation theory. Yeah, like how Fed manipulated the draw to play Djoko and Murray in back to back matches to win his last slam to date. Oh wait, he also manipulated the English weather too to generate rain and get the centre court roof closed.

Arvind Srinivasan
10th June 2015, 08:23 AM
Even with what many called a “cake walk” draw, Roger Federer could not go beyond the quarterfinal round. Stan made “goat”-curry out of Roger! By the way, many folks consider Roger to be the “GOAT”! Even though Roger lost his quarterfinal match, he maintained his #2 ATP ranking for the week!

The next contender for the “GOAT” title Rafa Nadal showed that he is in what appears to be an irreversible decline in playing skills and mental toughness. He also lost in the quarterfinal like Roger, but his ATP ranking for the week slid down to #10 from #7!

Questioning this would definitely question the way the rankings are done for the past many years (of which Nadal is also a beneficiary). The rankings primarily take into account the players performance over the past 12 years. One of the reasons why Nadal lost his footing in the last 8-10 months right from the time he won Roland Garros last year was his sub par performances in the North American hard court swing (He won 2 masters and the US open in 2013). And the biggest of them all- failing to defend his RG title. Now if Federer loses early at Wimbledon and fails to match up to his 2014 post RG performance this season, you could be rest assured that he will be ranked outside the top four.

And one should never judge the difficulty of a draw by looking at just the seedings. Federer lost to the eventual champion while Nadal lost to one of the finalists. To think of Wawrinka as a pushover compared to a broken down has been of a champion would be greatly belittling the former who played lights out tennis.

JamesDap
10th June 2015, 08:57 PM
Fed actually improved upon last time's RG performance by reaching the QFs. So he not only maintained his ranking, he would have gained points from RG. That is how the system works and it works that way for everyone, including Nadal. Nadal was already ranked no.7 when he got to RG. As the defending champ, he would have gained no points even if he had won. By losing in the QFs, he lost a lot of points. Er and how does Fed happen to be sitting on so many points? Simple, by vastly improving upon his performance at Rome and participating and winning a new tournament in Istanbul. He lost points at Aussie Open but gained some by winning Brisbane. He's been in more finals (5, out of which he won 3) this year than any other player barring, of course, Djokovic. Nadal has only been in two finals and won only one. To rub it in a little more, Fed actually beat Djoko in one of those finals while Nadal beat Juan Monaco. Nadal has met and not won against Murray, Djoko and Wawrinka this year. Fed has beaten the last two once each this year, though lost on other occasions. I doubt a 'better' ranking system would actually rank Nadal higher than Fed in 2015, irrespective of their past achievements.

omega
11th June 2015, 01:11 AM
This is exactly why Rafa was asking for a 2 year ranking system. Fed as a chairman of
Player council along with other players didn't approve the idea. Probably that's what Nadtards are sore about. However Iam not sure even a 2 year would help his cause.

omega
11th June 2015, 02:56 AM
Anyway tough period ahead for federer. He raked many points post clay season last year.

Halle winner (250 pts)
Wimbledon runner up (1200 pts)
Rogers cup runner up (600 pts)
Cincinnati winner (1000 pts)
US open semi finalist (720 pts)
Shanghai winner (1000 pts)
Basel winner (500 pts)
Paris indoor QF (180 pts)
WTF Finalist (1000 pts)
Davis cup (??)

omega
11th June 2015, 02:57 AM
There is a very good chance for Fed to be ranked around 6 or 7 by year end

Arvind Srinivasan
11th June 2015, 04:53 AM
Halle's been upgraded to an ATP 500 tournament. And Federer will have his chances to win Cincinnati and Basel along with it. It's the majors that are going be a problem though. He will have to play well. I am keeping my hopes on Wimbledon. He almost won it last year with just his serve and an almost non existent forehand. So I will not be surprised if he does well this time around as well. As far as the US open is concerned, that's anybody's guess.

JamesDap
11th June 2015, 05:30 AM
Yeah, emulating last year's grass court and hard court season performance will be very tough for Fed. A Wimb final AND a US Open semi, matching both results will take some doing. And now that both Murray and Wawrinka seem to be finding rhythm, they are going to be snapping at his heels and may overtake him pretty soon. But being ranked no.2 at this stage of his career isn't too shabby, whether or not he can finish the year at that ranking.

JamesDap
11th June 2015, 05:33 AM
This is exactly why Rafa was asking for a 2 year ranking system. Fed as a chairman of
Player council along with other players didn't approve the idea. Probably that's what Nadtards are sore about. However Iam not sure even a 2 year would help his cause.

2 year system would be ridiculous anyway. Not the world's problem if Rafa gets injured too often and misses tournaments. Well, he wanted all courts to play super slow so that he could come out on top of long rallies. In the current system, the ranking and race to london points converge at the end of the year, so it's the most sensible. We know who was the best player for the year.

ajithfederer
11th June 2015, 01:08 PM
Whoa!!. How did i miss this?. When did this happen?.

VinodKumar's
11th June 2015, 02:42 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9168264/Rafael-Nadal-resigns-as-ATP-players-body-vice-president-after-lack-of-movement-on-changes-to-ranking-system.html

ajithfederer
18th June 2015, 11:20 AM
Wawrinka loses after a tough 2 set tie break to kevin anderson 7-6 7-6.

Federer advances to 3rd round.

VinodKumar's
18th June 2015, 11:22 AM
Its his straight 4th loss against Anderson :).

ajithfederer
18th June 2015, 12:54 PM
Hmm...Interesting....

JamesDap
19th June 2015, 07:09 AM
Anderson has a huge serve. But earlier he used to stay right behind after serving even though he doesn't have the baseline depth to beat guys like Wawrinka from the back of the court. In this match (and I don't know if he has been doing that in his 3 other wins over Wawrinka too), he serve-and-volleyed a lot. In fact the highlights package looked more like a 90s match, because players only use S&V occasionally these days, not so very often as Anderson seemed to be. He pulled off some surprisingly good volleys too. Queens looks kickass this year, hopefully a good indication of how Wimbledon will play as well.

omega
19th June 2015, 07:33 AM
It looks lot like 2014. After winning his first grandslam (AO) he lost to Anderson in Indianwells (4R).
Here again coming from his second grandslam (FO) he has lost his 2R match to Anderson @ Queens.
After winning their first 3 encounters he has lost 4 in a row to Anderson 3 coming last year.

Like his coach Norman said Wawrinka remains unpredictable from week to week.

omega
19th June 2015, 07:51 AM
Whoa!!. How did i miss this?. When did this happen?.

You sure missed lot of comedy by Humble Bull as the Vice President of Player council while Federer served as the President.
Humble Bull was advocating for the following,

1) 2 year ranking instead of 1 year ranking as it would help top players to prolong their careers by not chasing points playing all tournaments (No one was on his side)
2) Remove second serve completely (targeting big servers)
3) Reduce the mandatory tournaments in a season
4) Have more clay tournaments which is good for players overall health
5) Rotate the WTF across all surfaces (so that he could win when it is on clay)

Looking at the list one can see how concerned Humble Bull was for the next generation of players. None of it was self serving. Such an ambassador for the game of tennis.

JamesDap
19th June 2015, 09:55 AM
The serve is the only aspect of Wawrinka's game that really suits grass, else his preparation for groundies is too elaborate for that surface. His slice is also surprisingly mediocre for a OBH guy. If he does well on grass, it will be in spite of these weaknesses and thanks to the sheer power of his hitting. But he is not made for grass the way Fed is.

Arvind Srinivasan
19th June 2015, 10:10 AM
Seeing how things have unfolded over the last few days, I would put my money on Djokovic and Murray to be prime candidates for Wimbledon followed by Federer at a good distance. Djokovic has to get over the mental block of losing his best chance (arguably) for an RG crown , Murray hasn't quite transitioned to clay yet imho and will need to work on his ground game and Federer's being playing poorly, barely got through Kohlschreiber, isn't serving that great. This may turn out to be a very open tournament....And I also sort of believe that the big servers will have a bigger role to play in the tournament. Troicky, Muller, Raonic can all be dangerous if they can serve and volley well. A good example is Troicky. His serve is working well and it would really help him put a dent on the draws, if he could work a little more with his serve and volleying technique and his return.

JamesDap
19th June 2015, 10:23 AM
Have to back Murray and Djoko by default as the best on current form from within the big four. But yeah this looks like an open tournament. Since 2012, power hitters have gradually made a comeback in Wimbledon and they could go even further this year. Rosol showed in 2012 that grass still rewards high percentage tennis. Janowicz went deep in 2013 and so did Raonic and Kyrgios to some extent in 2014. If these guys actually start making decent volleys, they will be difficult to beat. Watch out for Isner too. His volleying has improved a lot lately and he already has a monster serve. None of them may perhaps go on to win the tournament but they could consume some of the big fish and upset the draw.

ajithfederer
19th June 2015, 01:41 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl:

I knew number 3 and 4. Rest is new(s) to me.

You sure missed lot of comedy by Humble Bull as the Vice President of Player council while Federer served as the President.
Humble Bull was advocating for the following,

1) 2 year ranking instead of 1 year ranking as it would help top players to prolong their careers by not chasing points playing all tournaments (No one was on his side)
2) Remove second serve completely (targeting big servers)
3) Reduce the mandatory tournaments in a season
4) Have more clay tournaments which is good for players overall health
5) Rotate the WTF across all surfaces (so that he could win when it is on clay)

Looking at the list one can see how concerned Humble Bull was for the next generation of players. None of it was self serving. Such an ambassador for the game of tennis.

ajithfederer
19th June 2015, 02:51 PM
The ATP Website has been redesigned.....Kandraviaa irukku

Comes in 3 language versions - Inglis, espanyol and mandarin..

http://www.atpworldtour.com/

VinodKumar's
19th June 2015, 02:52 PM
We will be used to it .. FB comments section ah kanom so site is boring ;).

omega
19th June 2015, 03:29 PM
The serve is the only aspect of Wawrinka's game that really suits grass, else his preparation for groundies is too elaborate for that surface. His slice is also surprisingly mediocre for a OBH guy. If he does well on grass, it will be in spite of these weaknesses and thanks to the sheer power of his hitting. But he is not made for grass the way Fed is.

Right but if Stan survives the first week then he will be somewhat entering his favorite territory when the slickness evens out and behaves much like clay.

But I am not sure if Stan himself is that much keen to do well @ Wimbledon.

JamesDap
20th June 2015, 08:05 AM
Dr Karlovic bombs out the Bird with 45 aces! Up next in the firing line is Fed. Basel got tricky last year and the slick grass of Halle will make it even harder to return Karlovic. I don't know if even Isner can generate as much kick as he does. Amazing serve he has.

omega
20th June 2015, 09:15 AM
Well I hope Fed can get that one break in each set with his knee wrecking slice return.
If anything Fed's return game is improving. Yes it would be a very tough match.
Grass is the most rewarding surface for Karlovic's serve.

omega
20th June 2015, 05:17 PM
Horrible first set so far. On serve Karlo serving 5-6.
Fed has not won more than 3 or 4 points in Karlo's serve.
Had to save couple of break points already.

omega
20th June 2015, 05:26 PM
Takes the first set in the breaker 7-3 by virtue of Karlo's second serve & a double fault.
Fed is not even trying. They are just playing for the tiebreaker. Borefest so far.

omega
20th June 2015, 06:19 PM
Takes the second set as well in tiebreaker. Atleast second set had a few interesting exchanges.
Still very poor ground game. Will not get it done against Nishi. Atleast he has gained 300 points (which is +50)...

Arvind Srinivasan
20th June 2015, 06:22 PM
One of the problems playing Karlovic is that it sets your baseline game off for the next game. Federer's is already bad at the moment and with absolutely no practice on the baseline play, it wouldn't be surprising if it comes a cropper tomorrow in the final.

EDIT: Well at least the match went on familiar lines.

ajithfederer
20th June 2015, 06:25 PM
Cha, was watching eng vs nz and missed fed's match... 7/6 7/6/.. Thanks omega for the commentary.

VinodKumar's
20th June 2015, 06:30 PM
Good that you missed the match. I chose this one and as omega said it was a borefest. Kei is in good form and I dont think Fed's current baseline game is good to defeat him. Lets S&V more :).

ajithfederer
20th June 2015, 06:49 PM
Can't wait for the wimbledon draw..

This is the 1st year in god knows how long they've postponed Wimbledon by a week. Otherwise by now we would have the draws in our hand.

JamesDap
20th June 2015, 09:56 PM
Nishikori out with injury. Fed to play Seppi who beat him at this year's AO. Given Fed's current form, it's not a done deal but at least it gets easier. Nishikori played quite well against Janowicz who was on a tear.

Meanwhile, Kevin Anderson beats Simon to reach the final. Was not as aggressive today as earlier in the tournament. Should be playing Murray in the final and it would be a surprise if he wins that match. Murray was already making some incredible passes against Troicki.

ajithfederer
20th June 2015, 11:32 PM
http://d.europe.newsweek.com/en/full/7097/roger-federer.jpg

Sport

Team Federer: How the tennis ace became the world's pre-eminent athlete
By Richard Evans 6/18/15 at 12:56 PM

It's not just the player but the person; it's not just the winning but the manner. It's the ability to remind us how games should be played and how champions should behave. He, Roger Federer, has set a standard, one his legion of fans will be hoping he maintains when Wimbledon starts on 29 June and he attempts to win the title for a record eighth time.

It's a standard no other athlete in any sport has been able to emulate over the past dozen years. For skill and professionalism; for popularity and longevity, this Swiss genius with a South African mother and a broad, inquisitive view of the world has captured the imagination and the loyalty of people all over the globe.

Federer has reached a point in his storied career where he chooses to play tournaments in places he hasn't yet visited simply to sate his curiosity. Last year he went on an exhibition tour of South America and then signed up for the new International Professional Tennis League so that he could visit India. New Delhi went nuts. This year he played the new ATP event in Istanbul and the Turks, bereft of a tennis history of their own, mobbed him at every turn.

Try Newsweek: subscription offers

Of course, his agent Tony Godsick ensures that he gets paid huge sums of money for playing these events (Istanbul is a low-category tournament that is allowed to pay appearance fees) but, unlike some who have been known to take the money and run, Federer delivers. He won Istanbul and, as Fred Stolle, a former US champion who went on to manage tournaments in Florida, points out, his attraction is such that it is always worth it.

"Brisbane paid more than they could really afford for Roger to play in 2013 but they ended up making a profit," says the Australian-born Stolle. "The next year they doubled it and still made a profit."

Godsick makes a legitimate point about the effect Federer has on sponsors. "When he signed with Moët-Chandon, they had never been associated with tennis before," he says. "Now they like it so much they sponsor 11 tournaments."

"He's so loved," says Chris Evert. "He gives of himself. It would be 100% correct to call Roger the pre-eminent worldwide athlete of the past decade. LeBron [James, basketball star] is huge but, internationally, not as popular as Roger."

Football stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo might be mentioned in the same breath but it is more difficult to succeed for a long period in an individual sport. Even Messi, with his twinkling feet, relies on someone to give him the ball.

http://d.europe.newsweek.com/en/full/7096/roger-federer.jpg?w=730
Roger Federer
Brilliant: Federer hits a forehand, his socks white against the clayIan Walton/Getty

So what has Federer achieved? More Grand Slam singles titles, 17, than any other male player. In all he has won 85 titles out of 129 appearances in finals. He has been ranked no lower than sixth on the ATP computer for 13 years while mostly ranked first or second. He is the only player to have won two Slams (Wimbledon and the US Open) for five straight years. Incredibly, he never lost before the semi-finals of a Grand Slam for 23 consecutive championships. He won an Olympic Gold Medal with Stan Wawrinka at Beijing in 2008 and then, with Wawrinka, helped Switzerland win the Davis Cup for the first time in their history last year. He has won the ATP World Tour Finals, a partial round robin event for just the top eight players, six times.

But statistics are only part of it – and not the best part. He is simply a joy to watch. Think Ariel or Astaire. His feet barely touch the ground as he glides around court whipping in backhands and forehands with apparent effortless ease. If his great rival Rafael Nadal, who has a winning record over him, is an earth player with his thundering play, Federer is an air player. Visible proof was offered in the Davis Cup final against France, which was played on clay in Lille. After a couple of sets Richard Gasquet's socks, impregnated with clay, were red. Federer's remained white.

When he had a rare injury in 2013 critics were quick to herald the end of a great career. But the following year saw him return to No 2 and, by the US Open in August, win more matches than anyone else on the tour. Andy Roddick, who appeared after Federer and retired before him, used to laugh when reporters suggested the Swiss was in decline. "Hah! You go out and play him!"

There is no argument from the McEnroe brothers when it is suggested Federer is the greatest sporting personality of the past decade. "It's tough to argue with that," says John. Brother Patrick, who has just stepped down from head of player development at the USTA, mentions LeBron. "But he's not as international despite basketball's growing popularity. Roger's out there on his own."

Few people know him better than Paul Annacone, who coached him from 2010 till Stefan Edberg took over in 2013. "The thing about Roger is that he's stress-free," says Annacone. "He'll get nervous at certain moments in a match but he lives this serene life and doesn't allow fame to bother him. We were in Rome with the family at the Trevi fountain and suddenly people besieged him for autographs. He signed happily for half an hour and then excused himself. There was no fuss."

His Czech-born wife, Mirka, has added to the legend of perfection by delivering two sets of twins, two girls and then two boys. His peers in the locker room just laughed. "Jesus, he even gets that right," was a comment frequently heard.

Blemish? There must be a blemish. He's been called arrogant and the way he answers some questions in press conferences lends fuel to the accusation. He is not shy of admitting how good he is. But he does not covet all the praise. "What I like about tennis is that you can have rivalries side by side," he was saying in Miami. "If you look at the last 10 years, Novak (Djokovic), Rafa (Nadal), also Andy Murray – there are so many guys who have achieved so much and at the same time. We are really lucky to be in our sport because we have so many highlights."

Just being No 2 in the world at the age of 33 is proof of a special prowess, both a dedication to his sport and a love of it. More than once I have heard him react to questions about a loss by saying: "I'll just go back to the practice court and learn to get better."

He will go on trying at least until the 2016 Olympics and for as long as he thinks he can still win a Grand Slam. After that, the world will be more than his oyster. He will set new frontiers. Africa, where Credit Suisse already donates $1m (€900,00) a year to his pre-school foundation, will be a focus.

"There is much to do," he says. More than he has already done? Possibly. Betting against what Roger Federer can achieve has long been considered a waste of money.

JamesDap
21st June 2015, 08:59 AM
Good that you missed the match. I chose this one and as omega said it was a borefest. Kei is in good form and I dont think Fed's current baseline game is good to defeat him. Lets S&V more :).

He has to somehow find that vein of form which he did at the end of the fourth set in last year's Wimb final. THAT's Federer. Once he began to hit forehands and even backhands with that much bite, Djoko was under pressure. But he's not able to do that on a consistent basis. And if he can't, he might not even get past the first week. If players weren't so much in awe of Fed's reputation, they would realise they just have to stay back and hit through him. As Wawrinka did at RG and it will be even easier to do that in the first week when the grass is still fast. Fed's groundies have no power at the moment; he's very vulnerable to an upset this time.

VinodKumar's
21st June 2015, 05:33 PM
Roger playing very badly ...has been very nervous, less confident , so many unforced errors, very poor baseline game shhhh

VinodKumar's
21st June 2015, 06:36 PM
Roger wins 8th Halle title...

omega
21st June 2015, 07:16 PM
The ground game was much better in the 2nd set where he had lot of looks winning the few longer rallies.
First set was mostly horrible but his serve bailed out until Tiebreakerer showed up yet again to take it.
Overall I think Federer will be mighty pleased. Seppi played well and gave the much needed practice for Roger.

If he survives the first week he will have a good chance for a SF in the "Mecca of tennis"
In Roger we Bel18ve!!

ajithfederer
21st June 2015, 08:55 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11111913_10152927742268148_4323193419994093865_n.j pg?oh=0884ae431a9cd43add520696fd428841&oe=561EDD98

ajithfederer
21st June 2015, 10:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11217513_10152957260856966_8058435948830399234_n.j pg?oh=995bd9abee69a53d089e3a6af6d74738&oe=56278972&__gda__=1441401613_4e8c585bcfea7db7390995c06e24dcd 5

ajithfederer
21st June 2015, 11:01 PM
Murray wins Queen's.

JamesDap
22nd June 2015, 06:59 AM
The ground game was much better in the 2nd set where he had lot of looks winning the few longer rallies.
First set was mostly horrible but his serve bailed out until Tiebreakerer showed up yet again to take it.
Overall I think Federer will be mighty pleased. Seppi played well and gave the much needed practice for Roger.

If he survives the first week he will have a good chance for a SF in the "Mecca of tennis"
In Roger we Bel18ve!!

Agreed, in fact from the first set tiebreak he picked up the pace. The key will be to rely on his still excellent movement and play fast. The moment he gives time, opponents will set up big groundstrokes and start to gain the upper hand. The only way he can win is by playing very fast and he'll need to be very confident to do that.

ajithfederer
22nd June 2015, 11:24 AM
Uncle Toni Says Rafael Nadal in Good Form, but Still Lacking Confidence

http://www.tennisnow.com/images/2015/June-2015/nadal-queens-06212015.aspx

Rafael Nadal’s coach and Uncle, Toni Nadal, gave the Tennis Podcast an interview on Friday, and admitted that while Nadal’s form is steadily improving, his confidence has still yet to come around.

Listen to the Full Interview Here

He was asked by host David Law about the difference between today’s Nadal and the Nadal of a few years ago that was winning three major titles, and replied as follows:

“The difference between today’s Rafa and what happened some years ago is that his mentality is not very constant,” he said. “This is our problem—the problem that we have had this year.”

The coach says that there are bright spots in Nadal’s game as well, however, particularly with regard to his ability to play to his potential on grass. “I think today we can play better on grass than two years ago or three years ago because after 2011 he had many problems in his knees and it was very difficult for him to play on grass because he cannot get down with his legs,” he said. “But now, he can.”

Uncle Toni admitted that the first-round loss to Alexandr Dolgopolov at Queen's was a setback because Nadal had a break in the third set and he couldn’t find a way to maintain his edge despite the fact that he was playing well. It's a pattern that the Spaniard has yet to completely break this season.

“The confidence is coming always with victories, nothing else," he said. "You can play well, like now I think Rafael is playing well enough, but if you do not have enough confidence, in the important moments the ball goes out. It’s what happened here against Dolgopolov.”

He added: “I think we need a little more confidence. When we are a little lucky I think we can do a good tournament everywhere—here or Wimbledon. Here was not possible but for him I think his level is for making a good tournament.”

While believing that Nadal is in good enough health and form to win at Wimbledon, it sounds like his coach believes that the ultimate success or failure of his charge will come down to self-belief. If Nadal can find his big-point swagger, he’s in good enough form to press for the title.

If not, disappointment awaits.

“For me it’s a good possibility to show a good Rafael now at Wimbledon,” he said. “I know when you arrive at Wimbledon without a Grand Slam title—it’s the first time in ten, eleven years that we arrive there without winning a Grand Slam—then the confidence is not the same. The confidence in tennis and more in grass is very important, because all changes in one moment, and when you have confidence you hit the ball and the ball goes on the line and when you don’t have confidence you hit the ball and the ball goes outside."

Photo Source: Jordan Mansfield/Getty
- See more at: http://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/NET-POSTS/June-2015/Uncle-Toni-Says-Rafael-Nadal-in-Good-Form,-but-Sti.aspx#sthash.n1n2Viya.dpuf

ajithfederer
25th June 2015, 10:53 AM
Nadal Seeded 10th, Could Face Djokovic Or Federer In Wimbledon QFs
JUN 24 2015

ATP Staff

Tournament News

Novak Djokovic named top seed for a fourth straight year

Rafael Nadal will be the No. 10 seed at this year’s Championships at Wimbledon, setting up the possibility that the two-time champion could face a quarter-final meeting with Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer or Andy Murray for a second straight major.
As the sixth seed at Roland Garros, Nadal received an unfavourable draw that resulted in playing World No. 1 Djokovic in the quarter-finals. The Serbian defeated the nine-time champion in straight sets.

Djokovic, who prevailed against Federer in last year’s final, will top the Wimbledon draw for a fourth straight year. He is followed in the seedings by seven-time winner Federer, 2013 titlist Murray and reigning Roland Garros champion Stan Wawrinka.

Meanwhile, possible Round of 16 opponents for Nadal include the fifth through eighth seeds: Kei Nishikori, Tomas Berdych, Milos Raonic and David Ferrer. Last year as the No. 2 seed, Nadal suffered a fourth-round upset loss to Australian young gun Nick Kyrgios.

The singles seeds reflect the Top 32 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, but the seeding order is rearranged on a surface-based system.

The draw ceremony will take place Friday.
1 Novak Djokovic (SRB)
2 Roger Federer (SUI)
3 Andy Murray (GBR)
4 Stan Wawrinka (SUI)
5 Kei Nishikori (JPN)
6 Tomas Berdych (CZE)
7 Milos Raonic (CAN)
8 David Ferrer (ESP)
9 Marin Cilic (CRO)
10 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
11 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
12 Gilles Simon (FRA)
13 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
14 Kevin Anderson (RSA)
15 Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
16 David Goffin (BEL)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/wimbledon-2015-nadal-named-10th-seed

Arvind Srinivasan
26th June 2015, 04:15 PM
Wimbledon Draw's out-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIa6YSyXAAActSP.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIa6Y3vW8AA4KFp.jpg

Arvind Srinivasan
26th June 2015, 04:32 PM
Possible match ups for the Big 5 ( Yeah I've included Stan here as well )

Djokovic- Kohlschreiber- Hewitt/Niemmen-Mayer-Anderson/Cilic-Nishikori-Wawrinka-Federer

Murray- Kukushkin-Hasse-Seppi-Tsonga-Nadal-Federer-Djokovic

Federer - Dzhumhur-Querry-Sock-Lopez-Berdych-Murray-Djokovic

Nadal - Bellucci-Brown-Trocki-Ferrer-Murray-Federer-Djokovic

Wawrinka- Souza-Becker-Thiem- Goffin-Raonic-Djokovic-Federer

A very even draw for all the top contenders I would say as each one has to pass through difficult match ups leading up to the final. (Of course, you will be having people making a hue and cry about their player getting a draw from hell and the others having it easy). And a word on Kohschreiber. Drawing Federer first round at Halle and now Djokovic at Wimbledon. Hopefully he makes a match out of it. A great R1 match though.

omega
26th June 2015, 05:25 PM
Yes, for once the draw seems to have pan out pretty evenly.
As a Fed fan would have expected Murray on the other half, but I think its not all that bad.
It looks very open at the outset of the draw.

JamesDap
26th June 2015, 09:44 PM
Nadal has the toughest draw, obviously due to his lower seeding. Wawrinka has a relatively comfortable passage to the SF. Raonic could serve bot some maybe but most likely he will choke against such a tough opponent on the big stage. Dustin Brown beat Nadal last year at Halle and Nadal won't relish having to play him in the first week. Still looks like Murray's slam to me. He's in great form and might turn out to be better drilled for the big one than Djoko. Even otherwise Murray has a lighter touch (even Djoko referred to that before their RG match) which suits Wimbledon.

Arvind Srinivasan
27th June 2015, 12:45 AM
^ While I agree that Murray's had a better year than most including Federer and deserves to be joint favourite for the title along with Djokovic, I seriously doubt if he could go all the way to get the title. It would require one of Nadal or Federer to go out early. He seriously hasn't gotten over Djokovic and his poor record against him over the last two years is testimony to that and he's yet to face Federer this year after the disastrous 6-0 6-1 loss at the O2. Yes, things have been different for him this year and he has got two career clay titles, has looked much much much better than last year, but he has't trail blazed through the season has he. I just get a niggling feeling that Federer would beat Murray if they are to meet in the semis. Happy to be proved wrong though

JamesDap
27th June 2015, 05:54 AM
Yes I do agree Fed is a bigger threat to him on this surface than either Djoko or Nadal. He beat Djoko here at 2013 and can do it again. Likewise given Nadal's current form, he can beat him. Whereas with Fed, he's got to hope for a Fed-error day. I don't think Murray can hit through Fed. But maybe he can push him and with Fed's weakened forehand that might work and then Murray could drag Fed into a long match and win.

Arvind Srinivasan
27th June 2015, 06:19 AM
^ True. It's got to be a long match for Murray to win. But it may not happen if Federer serves well, puts a good, healthy first serve percentage and maintains his aggressive style of play.

ajithfederer
30th June 2015, 09:17 PM
1st Round

R. Federer
6 6 6

D. Dzumhur
1 3 3

omega
3rd July 2015, 02:22 AM
So the trend continues for Rafa....
4 years in a row he has lost to players ranked 100 or lower.
This year it was a qualifier Dustin Brown ranked 102 who got the better of Rafa in the green lawn 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4

With that extra week between RG & Wimbledon + a grass title in Stuttgart I surely thought he can reach QF safely.
Felt a little bad for Rafa today. Good thing is he has everything to gain from now on as he is not defending virtually anything for the second half of the season. Hope he gets his confidence back.

omega
3rd July 2015, 02:24 AM
Meanwhile Murray & Federer seems to be in good touch with both getting thru' to 3rd round winning in straight sets.
And Federer had that spectacular between the legs tweener lob.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLkVAJz1ejY

JamesDap
3rd July 2015, 06:10 AM
Rafa has to learn to flatten out his shots at Wimbledon, esp his serve! That topspin serve just sits up to be whacked back with interest by the returner. He has to at least mix it up with slice serves. Topspin is not gonna work on the first week of Wimbledon; at least he doesn't have the power anymore to make it more for him. He has to take his chances and go for winners much more. Fed was simply awesome by contrast yesterday, especially the third set. There was the obligatory miracle tweener but there were also some amazing backhands, amazing for the sheer pace he was generating off that wing. And one forehand winner notched up 100 mph! Good omens these for Fed. Querrey too started strongly but faded away where Rafa allowed Brown to get to him. Rafa seems to have got into some kind of fear psychosis at Wimb. I wonder if ever a two time Wimbledon champion has had such a terrible losing streak at the event, that too, beginning a year after his last final (2011).

ajithfederer
7th July 2015, 12:10 PM
Omega, watched the 4th round??. I couldn't watch it because I was traveling. From the score line looks like a smooth ride. How did he play?

omega
7th July 2015, 03:16 PM
Omega, watched the 4th round??. I couldn't watch it because I was traveling. From the score line looks like a smooth ride. How did he play?

Only watched towards the end of 3rd set. Catched the highlights though.
Anyway from what I have been reading it does seems like yet another great match from Fed.
He seems to be in good touch all round through the first 4 rounds.
Watched his 3rd round with Sam Groth which was good match with his backhand clicking early.
Many people now have started believing that he can do it this time round.

In my personal opinion he is definitely looking much better than last year. His forehand looks like the fearhand once it was. His movement and serve looks top notch. However I am going to take one match at a time. You never know these days. Next up, Simon could be different. Even though this is his first QF appearance on his worst surface, Simon seems to be hitting the ball real well. He is the type of counter puncher who can frustrate Federer and draw lot of errors. Should be a good match before meeting Maari in the SF. Lets see which Federer shows up in QF.

JamesDap
8th July 2015, 06:05 AM
THAT forehand comes back every now and then unlike last year when it was almost completely gone but for the last three games of the 4th set against Djoko. I suspect it strains him to hit the forehand that hard. He did that against Querrey to quell his resistance and then went back to hitting a more of a 'push' shot. Looks good to beat Simon but you never know with Fed. Murray will be a tough one thereafter. Beating Dr Karlovic is always good preparation at Wimbledon.

JamesDap
11th July 2015, 10:39 AM
What, no comments? Yesterday's match just came out of nowhere. Even if grass does bring Fed closer to the rest of the Big Four, yesterday was ridiculously awesome. The Fed of old, not the old Fed, came back in style. He has beaten Murray in all but one of their slam meetings but this time, he just battered him. Murray simply crumbled under the relentless pressure of the Fed onslaught of robotic big serving and brutal aggression from the ground. Fed actually made more groundstroke winners than Murray, by a margin of 13-6 on the forehand side. That just about says it all. It was way closer than the scoreline suggests and Murray played almost flawless tennis. A telling reminder to Fed's detractors that he didn't just fluke those 17 slams, he earned them with out of the world tennis. Now if only Gasquet had pulled off a French leap. Still, if Fed plays like this on Sunday, he does have a great shot at no.18.

VinodKumar's
11th July 2015, 11:23 AM
Important moment in the match was Federer held his serve 40-0 after losing 5 set points in that marathon game in second set. That sent out a message to the opponent whatsoever I am not going to choke today.

JamesDap
11th July 2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the commentators noted it too. It was like, "Yeah, you know what, I CAN handle this. Is this all you got?" Something like that, was what Roddick said. By the by, the Henman-Roddick-Castle team was much better than boring Johnny Mac.

Arvind Srinivasan
11th July 2015, 07:41 PM
What, no comments? Yesterday's match just came out of nowhere. Even if grass does bring Fed closer to the rest of the Big Four, yesterday was ridiculously awesome. The Fed of old, not the old Fed, came back in style. He has beaten Murray in all but one of their slam meetings but this time, he just battered him. Murray simply crumbled under the relentless pressure of the Fed onslaught of robotic big serving and brutal aggression from the ground. Fed actually made more groundstroke winners than Murray, by a margin of 13-6 on the forehand side. That just about says it all. It was way closer than the scoreline suggests and Murray played almost flawless tennis. A telling reminder to Fed's detractors that he didn't just fluke those 17 slams, he earned them with out of the world tennis. Now if only Gasquet had pulled off a French leap. Still, if Fed plays like this on Sunday, he does have a great shot at no.18.

Yes. But would he. These sort of performances arise only once. It would be unjust to expect a 34 old tennis player to do it again. But this match must have given him immense satisfaction and confidence. I am sure he's going to start confidently tomorrow. Another interesting thing is how Djokovic-Federer have split matches for the last 9 meetings. Djokovic -5 and Federer-4. Is it Federer's time to equalise?

JamesDap
11th July 2015, 08:31 PM
That is indeed the Big If, the million dollar question, Arvind. :D I am reading what other forums are saying on the internet and people are near unanimous that should Fed bring this game on Sunday, it could be his title and in fact they are a lot more emphatic about it than I would be (considering Djoko can make more return winners than Murray). But they too question whether he really would be able to bring it. I hope at least 80% of it. He just can't push on the forehand. He has to serve well and then keep swinging hard on the return game. That is what he did in the brief passage of play last year in the fourth set when he rattled Djoko. That is the only way he can win. He can no longer win physical battles and esp not against Djoko. He has to swing for it with all his might and hope to get through in 3 or 4 sets max. He did beat Djoko in 4 at Wimb 2012, but then that's 2012 when he bageled Djoko at Cincy.

JamesDap
11th July 2015, 08:32 PM
Anyway, wouldn't be unhappy if Djoko wins either. Either way, it's a great result for tennis.

Arvind Srinivasan
11th July 2015, 09:19 PM
That is indeed the Big If, the million dollar question, Arvind. :D I am reading what other forums are saying on the internet and people are near unanimous that should Fed bring this game on Sunday, it could be his title and in fact they are a lot more emphatic about it than I would be (considering Djoko can make more return winners than Murray). But they too question whether he really would be able to bring it. I hope at least 80% of it. He just can't push on the forehand. He has to serve well and then keep swinging hard on the return game. That is what he did in the brief passage of play last year in the fourth set when he rattled Djoko. That is the only way he can win. He can no longer win physical battles and esp not against Djoko. He has to swing for it with all his might and hope to get through in 3 or 4 sets max. He did beat Djoko in 4 at Wimb 2012, but then that's 2012 when he bageled Djoko at Cincy.

Haha..Same case here. Been whistling through MTF for the last many days to check the live commentary. And I concur with the general consensus. The match is in Federer's racquet. It depends on as to which Federer's on court. And it might rain on Sunday and it's been forecasted that it could start before the final. Are we heading for the first final that's completely played under the roof..

PS: Wishful thinking....But anything that gives Federer the title. Wouldn't be unhappy at all if Djokovic takes it. Just wanting a good competitive match.

JamesDap
12th July 2015, 10:05 AM
Ha ha, right, MTF. I was checking out MTF too. I like to find out what they are thinking, don't necessarily like the tard/GIF driven style of argument there. :P One Fed fan I know on facebook (who's quite well informed about tennis) said emphatically that should Fed play like this, Djoko has no chance. That's going too far. Djoko is much mentally tougher than Murray. He's the best out of the big four when it comes to winning ugly. He doesn't get perturbed at all if his rhythm isn't great. Yes, it is on Fed's racquet but that is usually the case on these fast courts. Djoko can't outplay him here. He has closed the gap because Fed is on the decline as a player otherwise the match up is in Fed's favour on these surfaces. Also, the baseline is super worn out this year which will also aid Fed's first strike approach. It would be pretty awesome if Fed actually goes serve and volley again in the final and still wins. Would do a lot of good for tennis. I think just the fact that he's able to get to the final at his age with that tactic shows it can still work, provided the serve volleyer also makes good returns (sadly Fed is the only one today who meets that criterion). But people are intent on not interpreting it that way and point to Fed's loss last year as proof that serve and volley cannot work.

omega
12th July 2015, 01:21 PM
If Fed plays the level he did in SF he will surely win this one in 4.
While I agree Nole is a richer version of Murray, still grass is not his favorite surface. The biggest question is if Fed can play @ the same level today?

All possible signs are there.
If any his progression this year had been picture perfect compared to last year. Starting with big hitters gradually taking on solid baselines. Simon is a poor man's Murray while Murray is a middle class version of Nole. The bigger plus is he is not physically spent as Nole who has spent 3+ hrs more than Fed. But yes he is much younger so it evens out.

From the outset it looks like we are ready for the first GS with
PS 97 under Fedberg. Most of the time conqueror of Queens champion have ended up winning Wimbledon. Let's hope Roger can keep that up. We bel18ve!!

omega
12th July 2015, 01:35 PM
It was hilarious how most of the commies picked Murray to win easily the SF.

Argument was last time Fed won as roof top favoured him. Can't these idiots know that when the roof was closed Fed already had the momentum in his side.

Another commie said Fed has maxed out winning against Murray. He had never won against him >3 in a row. That he even did that year during Murray's recovery period.

This is the Murray with 2 GS + Olympic Gold medal. That he is playing his best possible tennis post his marriage (19 match winning streak I believe)

Fed delivered like a Boss. To serve @ 74% first serve against one of the all time best returners, and return when Murray himself was serving @ 72% first serves was truly remarkable.

Let's hope he can do it one more match. Go Fedberg!!

JamesDap
12th July 2015, 02:27 PM
The best was Wilander saying Murray's net point conversion is higher than Fed's. Yeah over far fewer points. I too rated Murray's chances slightly better...because I never thought this version of Fed would turn up out of nowhere. By the by omega Murray was the Queens champion while Fed won Halle, which he won even in 2013, his worst Wimbledon campaign.

Arvind Srinivasan
12th July 2015, 10:30 PM
Novak wins it in 4. :clap::clap: The third and fourth sets were quite underwhelming and so was Federer's performance in those. He had to get the first set. Had his chances to do so, but failed. The pattern followed in the third, when he was looking all set to break, but lost serve himself. Djokovic played superbly especially in the third and the fourth. Gave nothing away. And completely imposed himself with his returns in the fourth. A tad disappointed that Federer had to endure another final loss. But the thought that the guy's doing this at the age of 33 makes me proud that I am his fan. Anyway I am looking forward to the North American circuit. Hopefully he does well there.

PS: And not to mention Djokovic's serve. He looked more a servebot than Federer

raagadevan
12th July 2015, 11:56 PM
Two Indians win Championships at Wimbledon (2015)! :clap:

Sania Mirza wins her fourth Grand Slam (women's doubles, with Martina Hingis)...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/12/tennis/wimbledon-mirza-hingis-tennis/

…and Leander Paes teams up with Martina Hingis to win his 16th Grand Slam!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/wimbledon-2015-sunday2-paes-mixed

JamesDap
13th July 2015, 06:01 AM
Nole just brutally broke down Fed, his shots and his stamina till he had no fight left in him and simply disappeared in the 4th set. He has learnt from their previous epic at Wimb and avoided the mistakes he made then. Fed let it all out in the 2nd set, played far better esp in the tiebreak than at any point in last year's match. But that did not perturb Djoko. He got back to serving big in the 3rd sight right away and put the pressure right back on Fed. And receiving 5-3 in the 4th, really went after Fed's serve to close it out without having to serve. There has been talk of Fed's unforced errors. Well, what people are not taking into account is how well Djoko made Fed do all the running. He ran about 300 m less than Fed. He controlled the match beautifully. Yes, it's true; playing Fed and Nadal over and over has moulded Djoko into a great champion. Yesterday I was wondering how he lost the French to Wawrinka; guess he was mentally exhausted after having had to play two more sets on Saturday. Because he was so sharp yesterday, didn't put a foot wrong while Fed, having to make the play to get to Nole, made many misjudgments and paid the price just about every time. I am not disappointed in the least. Losing like this at his age is much more honourable than his chokes against Nole in 2010/11 USO semis. Those were matches he had controlled; not this one. He had to put up a titanic fightback just to win one set. I loved it when he did the 2nd but part of me was also thinking, "If he has to work this hard to take a set off Nole, there's no way he's winning this."

venkkiram
13th July 2015, 07:33 AM
இந்த முறை ஃபெடரருக்கு உண்மையான சவால்கள் நிறைந்த ஆட்டம் தொடங்கியது என்றால் அது முரேவுடன் மோதிய ஆட்டத்திலிருந்துதான். நேர் செட்டுகளில் முரேவை கதற கதற தோற்கடித்தது அதகளம். Serve, Volley, Fore and Back hand எல்லாமே சொன்ன நேரத்தில் செயல்படுத்த முடிந்தது. எந்த நேரத்திலும் முரேவினால் ஃபெடரருக்கு மனதளவில் பாதிப்பு இல்லை. கவலையே படாமல் ஆடினார் ஃபெடரர். ஆனால் இறுதிப் போட்டியில் ஜெகொவுடன் மோதிய ஆட்டத்தில் முன்பு போல, ஃபெடரர் மனோதிடம் குறைந்து காணப்பட்டார். உண்மையில் ஜெகொவிக் ஜெயிக்கவில்லை. ஃபெடரர்தான் தோற்றுபோனார். சம்பந்த சம்பந்தமில்லாமல் பந்துகளை கேலரிக்கு அனுப்பிக் கொண்டிருந்தார். Unforced errors நிறைய செய்தார். பார்ப்பதற்கே கொடுமையாக இருந்தது. ஜெகொவிக்கின் சர்விஸ் கேம்களை முறியடிக்கவும், முக்கியமான நேரங்களில் தனது கேம்களை தக்கவைக்க வேண்டிய தருணத்திலும் கோட்டை விட்டிருந்தார் ஃபெடரர். போனவருடம் ஐந்து செட்டுகள் வரை சென்ற ஆட்டம் இந்தமுறை நான்கு ஆட்டங்களிலேயே முடிந்து போனது. ஆரம்ப செட்டுகளில் ஜோகொவிக்கின் இரண்டாவது Serveகளை கூட திருப்பி அனுப்ப முடியாமல் திணறினார். Back hand பொலிவிழந்து காணப்பட்டது. பல நேரங்களில் ஃ பெடரருக்கு தனது மனதில் சம்மணமிட்டு உட்கார்ந்திருக்கும் ராட்சசனை அழிக்கவே நேரம் சரியாக இருந்தது. மற்றுமொரு ஜீரணிக்கமுடியாத ஃபெடரரின் பங்களிப்பு. மற்றுமொரு ஜீரணிக்கமுடியாத ஜெகொவிக்கின் வெற்றிவாகை.

ajithfederer
24th July 2015, 11:40 AM
http://www.tennis.com/tags/50th-anniversary-moments/

A list of articles from pivotal moments in tennis history.

JamesDap
25th July 2015, 08:38 AM
Interesting to read about the 1977 US Open. Connors' cheating easily casts Nike draws and slow court spartan tennis propaganda into the shade. It's hard to even accept what Connors did as something that can happen on a pro circuit.

ajithfederer
2nd August 2015, 08:06 PM
http://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/NET-POSTS/August-2015/Video-Fognini-Barks-at-Nadal-During-Hamburg-Chang.aspx

No change in behavior. High time ATP calls him out for his repeated shenanigans.

raagadevan
3rd August 2015, 01:15 PM
I agree with ajithfederer... It is high time ATP calls him [Fabio Fognini] out for his repeated shenanigans! :)

ajithfederer
4th August 2015, 11:45 AM
Yes. damn you fognini..

How dare he question his highness the holiness naadar on his repeated shenanigans!!. Nadal must demand ATP not to schedule any more future matches with fognini. Fucking wuss.

raagadevan
4th August 2015, 01:20 PM
Fabio Fognini king of the 2014 tennis tirades (ESPN):

http://espn.go.com/blog/espntennis/post/_/id/1486/fab-fognini-king-of-the-2014-tennis-tirades

Chair umpire refuses to shake Fabio Fognini's hand after he loses in Paris (Sports Illustrated):

http://www.si.com/tennis/2014/10/29/chair-umpire-refuses-shake-fabio-fogninis-hand-after-he-loses-paris

Wimbledon Outbursts cost Fabio Fognini $27,500 (ESPN):

http://espn.go.com/tennis/wimbledon14/story/_/id/11135771/italy-fabio-fognini-fined-27500-wimbledon-outbursts

raagadevan
20th August 2015, 06:09 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/cincinnati-2015-video-murray-ice-cream-seller

raagadevan
24th August 2015, 07:54 AM
Federer defeats Djokovic for seventh Cincinnati title

The victory in 90 minutes means the Swiss will be seeded second behind Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/federer-claims-seventh-cincinnati-title/ar-BBm1iiZ?ocid=spartandhp

omega
24th August 2015, 02:50 PM
Amazing win for Roger Federer to win his 1st Masters of 2015 & record 7th @ Cincinnati.
To do it @ 34 w/o being broken & losing a set is awesome.
I for one thought that he would stumble in the finals @ the hands of Novak going by how all their recent Finals (GS & Masters) have gone.
Incidentally Federer wins a Final @ Masters against Novak after 2012 Cincinnati.

The way he did, playing all court tennis being ever aggressive was the highlight.
His recent Charge & drive while facing 2nd serves was something we are seeing after a very long time.
That he did it to a reasonable success against all the players was even more impressive.
His return of serve was another area he showed tremendous improvement. Its amazing how he can use his complete repertoire in a fast court which is far & less these days.
Hoping for a good draw @ the Open...

Arvind Srinivasan
24th August 2015, 09:47 PM
I was at the Stadium yesterday to watch the final and it was great pleasure watching him play. He's been the best fast hard court player in the world for a while now. Its to his disadvantage that most of the courts are medium slow in the ATP circuit. And his backhand has never been this solid. Its become hard for players to make him commit an error on that wing. And the return of serves has been exquisite all week. Trolling at its best from Federer though with the service line returns......

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11923569_696440370388187_7016684939839015343_n.jpg ?oh=d851243674da741400cab7fe83f05f72&oe=567B62EE

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11947690_696440373721520_3143148958385774254_n.jpg ?oh=43cd56affcb00f064be714282dfd0e4b&oe=5673D830

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11947525_696440377054853_1991070442153633254_n.jpg ?oh=85efa4175cbe87057953cc7e083ce7e6&oe=5635A551

Arvind Srinivasan
24th August 2015, 09:49 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11204402_696440743721483_5408012386190959989_n.jpg ?oh=87fcda1be98d5cd529d9756562a96d38&oe=563A62DD

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11923559_696440737054817_5708023092005842802_n.jpg ?oh=5ac90e32d083be5043e51fcdd4f8f551&oe=5678182E

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11951818_696440740388150_256228350072528303_n.jpg? oh=a98b9e31099ac7db9dd693096f40f87c&oe=5676AC13

omega
24th August 2015, 10:12 PM
Wow that's great Arvind. I was planning to go for QF but couldn't in the end.
How was the experience? You picked the right event when Maestro was at his best...

Arvind Srinivasan
24th August 2015, 10:16 PM
Ya, I took a chance. Bought the finals ticket when it was cheap. After Novak won, tickets were being sold at a starting price of $295. Was planning on selling the ticket if Federer lost as I would have made a profit of almost 400% Was more like a win-win situation for me. But I enjoyed every moment of this. Made a hash of last years USO final as both Roger and Novak lost in the SFs. But this event made up for it.

omega
25th August 2015, 01:41 AM
There were a bunch of desi guys with a big banner 'Roger you are our hero' 'If tennis is a religion Federer is God' blah blah. Were u part of them?

Arvind Srinivasan
25th August 2015, 02:31 AM
^ LOL....I travelled alone to Cincy....And the line above is just too cheesy for my comfort....:wink:

ajithfederer
26th August 2015, 10:30 AM
:lol: Andre, annan gounder sonnar --- Bleddy Indians

There were a bunch of desi guys with a big banner 'Roger you are our hero' 'If tennis is a religion Federer is God' blah blah. Were u part of them?

ajithfederer
26th August 2015, 10:30 AM
Cool pics, arvind. :)

omega
28th August 2015, 04:54 PM
US Open draw:

Nadal:

R1 Coric
R2 Schwartzman or Qualy
R3 Fognini
R4 Raonic
QF Djokovic
SF Nishikori or Ferrer

Federer:
R1 Mayer
R2 Baghdatis
R3 Kohlschreiber
R4 Karlovic/Isner
QF Berdych/Gasquet
SF Murray/Wawrinka
F Djokovic

Djokovic:
R1 Souza
R2 Pospisil
R3 Seppi
R4 Goffin
QF Nadal (o Raonic)
SF Nishikori
F Federer

Murray:
R1 Kyrgios
R2 Mannarino
R3 Bellucci
R4 Anderson
QF Wawrinka
SF Federer
F Novak

Looks like Federer has similar draw like 2012 when he got knocked by Berdych in QF.
He should be relatively fresh this year but age is not in his side.
Nevertheless a tough draw. Looks like its Novak's trophy to lose.
Have a feeling Nadal may finally come thru' this one as a dark horse!!

VinodKumar's
28th August 2015, 05:19 PM
If Nadal comes through Novak, he will win for sure !!!

Even if Roger reaches semi/final he will tired as he has to come through tough fellows. Next year Wimbledon la 18ku try pannuvom ;).

Arvind Srinivasan
28th August 2015, 08:11 PM
US Open draw:

Nadal:

R1 Coric
R2 Schwartzman or Qualy
R3 Fognini
R4 Raonic
QF Djokovic
SF Nishikori or Ferrer

Federer:
R1 Mayer
R2 Baghdatis
R3 Kohlschreiber
R4 Karlovic/Isner
QF Berdych/Gasquet
SF Murray/Wawrinka
F Djokovic

Djokovic:
R1 Souza
R2 Pospisil
R3 Seppi
R4 Goffin
QF Nadal (o Raonic)
SF Nishikori
F Federer

Murray:
R1 Kyrgios
R2 Mannarino
R3 Bellucci
R4 Anderson
QF Wawrinka
SF Federer
F Novak

Looks like Federer has similar draw like 2012 when he got knocked by Berdych in QF.
He should be relatively fresh this year but age is not in his side.
Nevertheless a tough draw. Looks like its Novak's trophy to lose.
Have a feeling Nadal may finally come thru' this one as a dark horse!!

You might never know. I for one however find it incredibly difficult to see Nadal getting through Djokovic. This has traditionally been the worst part of the season for him and I really cannot see him having a resurgence like the one he had in 2013. He won both the follow up events that year and made a clean sweep at the US Open.
As for Federer, I don't know what to expect of him for this one. An SF appearance looks highly probable and then it's anybody's game. Berdych's looked spent all year and apart from Isner, I dont think anybody can cause him much trouble.

omega
29th August 2015, 12:13 AM
Agree that both Berdych & Murray doesn't look like a threat on paper as Fed has been able to win over them comfortably in their last few meetings. Fed needs to keep all his matches as short as possible leading to SF. However anything can happen if somebody zones in.

Hope he could play his aggressive all court tennis & results should follow.

Arvind Srinivasan
29th August 2015, 01:07 AM
^ That's true. And if reports are to be believed, Arthur Ashe is faster than last year. That should bode well for Federer

ajithfederer
29th August 2015, 07:12 PM
Where did you read this?. Any links?

^ That's true. And if reports are to be believed, Arthur Ashe is faster than last year. That should bode well for Federer

Arvind Srinivasan
29th August 2015, 10:52 PM
I got it from Menstennisforum.com...there is a separate thread for the US court speed. Apparently a few players who played the qualifiers talked about it....Not conclusive though

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=694753&page=2

raagadevan
30th August 2015, 12:21 AM
Sania Mirza conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award

President Pranab Mukherjee presented the award to Sania, clad in a maroon saree and blue blazer, amid thunderous applause at the Darbar hall where sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal was among the attendees. Sania became the second tennis player to receive the country's highest sporting honour after Leander Paes...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Sania-Mirza-conferred-with-Rajiv-Gandhi-Khel-Ratna-award/articleshow/48723693.cms

JamesDap
1st September 2015, 08:22 PM
I got it from Menstennisforum.com...there is a separate thread for the US court speed. Apparently a few players who played the qualifiers talked about it....Not conclusive though

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=694753&page=2

Doesn't look any faster than it has been in the last few years or so. But the on going work of building a roof for Ashe has already had the effect of blocking out the wind, apparently. And without the wind to worry about, players will go for their shots a lot more. THAT should help Fed. Wimbledon-like conditions, probably, but unlike grass, this won't wear down by the second Sunday and should still be playing about the same pace as day 1.

VinodKumar's
1st September 2015, 08:50 PM
last year runner-up Kei lost in first round.

JamesDap
1st September 2015, 09:23 PM
Watching Halep-Erakovic. Ball does seem to go through noticeably faster in the day session. Seen a fair few outright winners already and ball isn't stopping through much after bounce. When I watched the night session earlier today, it looked slower. Maybe it gets humid under the lights.

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd September 2015, 09:31 PM
It''s definitely slower at nights. Good thing that the semis and the finals are to be played at noon. And it does seem faster this year compared to the previous years.

JamesDap
4th September 2015, 08:14 PM
First tough test coming up for Nadal. Foginini is not the best on hard courts but he is still a pretty solid player. Nadal struggled to beat Schwartzmann and the final tally doesn't tell the full story, that Diego held breaks/mini breaks in all three sets and still lost. If he gets past Foginini, I would back him to also beat Raonic and line up for the Djoko clash. Can't see him beating Djoko too. Djoko was cruising in his second round match, almost like playing a practice session.

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:12 AM
5th set on

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:28 AM
3rd break in a row.

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:31 AM
nadal breaks again...

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:40 AM
sfsfsfsaf

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:48 AM
6th service break,,,,,,,,,,,,IN A ROW

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 10:52 AM
And fognini breaks again winning 4 consecutive points...some slap of a forehand winner the last 2 points.

raagadevan
5th September 2015, 10:56 AM
Fabio beats Rafa 3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4! ;)

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 05:07 PM
After dropping the first two sets, Fognini turned in one of the most breathtaking shot-making displays of the year. He clubbed forehand and backhand winners from all parts of the court with exquisite timing that belied the amount of effort behind them. He also attacked the net regularly, winning 39 of 52 approaches.

After dropping the first two sets, Fognini turned in one of the most breathtaking shot-making displays of the year. He clubbed forehand and backhand winners from all parts of the court with exquisite timing that belied the amount of effort behind them. He also attacked the net regularly, winning 39 of 52 approaches.

In a rollercoaster final set, the players held their opening serves but then exchanged seven consecutive breaks before Fognini served out the match from 5-4. Earlier, in a pulsating eighth game of the set, Nadal rallied from 40/0 on Fognini's serve and ultimately saved four game points before leveling the set at 4-all. But Fognini responded with four clean winners to break the Spaniard to love.

Fognini claimed his third win from four meetings with Nadal in 2015. The Italian improved to a 10-9 career mark in fifth sets; Nadal slipped to 17-6. He next plays another Spanish left-hander, Feliciano Lopez.

Fognini said that his high-risk, high-reward strategy was needed to beat Nadal.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/fognini-stuns-nadal-at-us-open-2015

JamesDap
5th September 2015, 05:34 PM
Fognini did pick up after two sets down. But Nadal too dropped his level, in a recurring pattern we've seen all year. He seems to get fatigued by the third set and just can't close out the match. It's mainly a physical problem but repeatedly losing such matches also dents his confidence and sets him back mentally in terms of self belief. It thus becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Of course, having been subservient to weak era theory, the establishment now has to talk up Fognini as much as they can because we all need to pretend the field somehow got so much tougher and it's not Nadal who's off colour and on the decline. Let's see Fognini beat Lopez first. And if he gets through that match, there's no way he beats Djoko. He's good but not that good. His serve is quite attackable and Nadal, as he did with Dustin Brown (who admittedly had a much bigger serve), simply failed to attack his serve enough. And when he did, he just couldn't hold serve for 6 games in a row which is what wins sets.

Arvind Srinivasan
5th September 2015, 08:34 PM
This match has to be one of the most psychedelic matches that I've watched. Fognini really played the match of his life and for some absurd reason he seems to have Nadal's number this year. Three wins in four with one in a grand slam. Coming to the match, it was clear as to how Nadal's weakened second serve was being punished time and time again. Nadal just couldn't find any rhythm on his serve at times and that clearly costed him the match. Even in the first two sets that Nadal won, it was more about Fognini missing shots and committing errors than Nadal's pattern of play. He held his defense, but Fognini true to what he his missed regulation put overs and returns.

ajithfederer
5th September 2015, 11:07 PM
1st set Fed 6-3

JamesDap
6th September 2015, 11:45 AM
This match has to be one of the most psychedelic matches that I've watched. Fognini really played the match of his life and for some absurd reason he seems to have Nadal's number this year. Three wins in four with one in a grand slam. Coming to the match, it was clear as to how Nadal's weakened second serve was being punished time and time again. Nadal just couldn't find any rhythm on his serve at times and that clearly costed him the match. Even in the first two sets that Nadal won, it was more about Fognini missing shots and committing errors than Nadal's pattern of play. He held his defense, but Fognini true to what he his missed regulation put overs and returns.

Fog takes returns very early, in fact takes balls pretty early at times. In that amazing game at 4-4 in the fifth, he hit a half volley winner which was quite Federer-like. Having said that, it's also a measure of how weak Nadal's serve has become. So that will be difficult to replicate against Lopez who routinely clocks over 130 mph on the first serve and is also a serve volleyer.

JamesDap
6th September 2015, 11:49 AM
Apparently Becker is pathetic enough to criticise Fed for something McEnroe and Edberg actually used to do, contrary to Becker's claims. Maybe not half volley returns but well inside the baseline moving forward. Maybe this is why former legends turning coaches is a bad idea. To defend his grinding baseliner pupil, Becker has to say utterly shameful things.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=700665

JamesDap
7th September 2015, 06:12 AM
Lopez won in straight sets over Fognini. Big serve, lots of net rushing, no rhythm for Fognini.

ajithfederer
10th September 2015, 08:33 AM
stan/fed...hope whoever wins,wins the final as well.

Arvind Srinivasan
10th September 2015, 07:46 PM
It's quite a tough one to call. It all depends on as to which Federer and Wawrinka show up. It would be Federer if it's a slog between their respective best forms. But any level below that will be trouble for him if Stan gets his A game going. Will be an interesting watch. As usual I have got the ticket for the final. If Federer loses I will sell it and give it a rest for the weekend.

venkkiram
10th September 2015, 08:53 PM
வாவ்ரிங்கா-யங் மற்றும் முரே-ஆண்டர்சன் இடையே நடந்த நான்காம் சுற்று ஆட்டங்களை வைத்து காலிறுதியில் ஆண்டர்சன் ஜெயிக்க நிறைய வாய்ப்புகள் உண்டு என கணித்துவிட்டேன். வாரிங்கா நேற்றைய ஆண்டர்சனுக்கு எதிரான காலிறுதியில் கட்டாயப்படுத்தாத தவறுகளை மிகவும் குறைத்துக்கொண்டு திறம்பட விளையாடினார். ஆண்டர்சனை யோசிக்கவோ, செயல்படுத்தவோ இடமே தரவில்லை. நல்லதொரு போட்டியாக அமையும் என எதிர்பார்த்த எனக்கு போட்டி வெறும் மூன்றே மூன்று செட்களில் முடிந்துபோனது தோல்விமுகம்தான். இதைப்போலவே ஃபெடரர் - கேஸ்கட் இடையேயான இன்னொரு காலிறுதி. கேஸ்கட்டை ஆரம்பித்திலிருந்தே தனது கட்டுப்பாட்டில் வைத்திருந்தார் ஃபெடரர். பெர்டிக்கை துணிச்சலாக எதிர்கொண்ட கேஸ்கட் ஃபெடரருக்கு எதிராக தடுமாறினார். கால்கள் ஒத்துழைக்கவில்லை. எதிர்புறத்தில் ஃபெடரர் தனது ஆகச் சிறந்த விளையாட்டினை செயல்படுத்திக்கொண்டிருந்தார். 50 வின்னர்ஸ். அதுவும் ஒரே ஆட்டத்தில். முதல் சர்வ் - 75%. நிச்சயமாக கனவு ஆட்டம்தான். இதே ஆட்டம் நாளையும் வாவ்ரின்காவுடன் தொடர்ந்தால் பலத்த போட்டியாக அமையும். குறைந்தது நான்கு செட்டுகள் அமையப்பெற்றால் பார்ப்பதற்கும் சுவாரஸ்யமாக இருக்கும்.

இந்தமுறை பெண்கள் காலிறுதிப் போட்டிகள் வழக்கத்துக்கும் மாறாக அனைத்துமே மூன்று செட்டுகள் வரை நீடித்தது. முதல் செட்டை நிம்மதியாக ஜெயித்தவர் அடுத்த செட்டில் மண்ணை கவ்வியதை அடிக்கடி இந்தத் தொடரில் பார்க்கமுடிந்தது. அரையிறுதியில் ஆடும் நால்வரில் மூன்று போட்டியாளர்கள் முப்பதை கடந்தவர்கள். ஹெலப் என்ற ரொமேனியா நாட்டு வீராங்கனை மட்டுமே 23 வயது. துடிப்பாகவும், திறமையாகவும் ஆடிவருகிறார். காலிறுதி வெற்றியை அஸ்ரங்காவிடமிருந்து பெற்றுக்கொண்டார் என்றே சொல்லவேண்டும். ஆட்டத்தின் முக்கியமான தருணங்களில் எப்படி கவனத்தோடு விளையாடவேண்டும் என்ற பாடத்தில் அஸ்ரங்கா இன்னும் தேறிவரவே இல்லை என்பதையே ஹெலப்போடு அவர் மோதிய காலிறுதி மீண்டும் மீண்டும் உணர்த்துகிறது. இறுதி ஆட்டத்திற்கு இவர் முன்னேறினால் செரினாவிற்கு கடுமையான சவால அமைவார் என நினைக்கிறேன். பார்க்கலாம்.

raagadevan
12th September 2015, 02:37 AM
Leander Paes wins his 17th Grand Slam title! :clap:

JamesDap
12th September 2015, 11:24 AM
Fed's tactics were spot on today. Denied rhythm to Wawrinka while keeping up his consistency on serve. Even did SABR a few times, on the one occasion (if not more) it even worked. The best part of it was I don't think he had to play absolutely lights out to beat him, as he did against Murray at Wimbledon. So he has more upside left for the final. He has to keep cool and stay focused on his tactics against Nole. He has so far shut out Becker's nonsensical attempts at gamesmanship; just continue with that for the final. Djoko too is in great form so it would still not be easy.

JamesDap
12th September 2015, 12:33 PM
In other news, Vinci sliced Serena to defeat. Exquisite use of a shot that's less and less favoured these days in spite of its effectiveness, esp on this surface. Lovely old school tennis from Vinci. If the final wasn't so late, I would certainly sit up and watch. Both Vinci and Pennetta played beautiful tennis against opponents content to ball bash. Yeah, sorry, has to be said about Serena. She's a great beyond doubt and all that but she was lazy and disinclined to fight it out against a smart player. Had she been a bit tactically flexible, she could have beaten Vinci but she kept trying to force double handers against Vinci's slice and perished.

venkkiram
13th September 2015, 08:54 AM
ஒரு வானவில்போல, வால் நட்சத்திரம் போல இறுதிப் போட்டிவரை வந்து கோப்பையை வென்று ஓய்வெடுத்துக்கொண்ட பென்னட்டாவை டென்னிஸ் ரசிகர்கள் அவ்வளவு சீக்கிரம் மறக்கப் போவதில்லை. கோப்பையை வென்றதோடு மட்டுமல்லாமல் வின்சியை எப்படி எதிர்கொள்ளவேண்டும் என செரினாவுக்கு பாடம் எடுத்துச் சென்றார். இரண்டே இரு செட்டுகளிலெயெ முடிந்துவிட்டாலும் ரொம்ப நாளைக்கு அப்புறம் பெண்கள் இறுதிப்போட்டி ஸ்டெபி-மார்டினா க்ளாசிக் காலத்தை கண்முன் காட்டிச் சென்றது. நன்றி இத்தாலி நாட்டு பெண்களுக்கு!

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/misc/f_NED19708.jpg

raagadevan
13th September 2015, 10:53 PM
...and Sania Mirza wins her 5th Grand Slam! :)
Congratulations to Leander and Sania; and Martina Hingis who partnered them in their respective victories! :clap:

VinodKumar's
14th September 2015, 08:27 AM
Novak wins ...another loss for Roger ...break point conversion is pathetic ...though its understandable opponent is number 1 player you still have to find a way to win break points for winning against guys like Novak ..

ajithfederer
15th September 2015, 12:41 PM
4/23 ......

omega
15th September 2015, 04:52 PM
Yes sorry state of his entire career.
I am really happy that even at this age against a player who is putting together another spell bound year he is able to create so many chances for himself only to mess it up in the end.
Nevertheless a stupendous effort by him.

Congrats to Nole on reaching his 10 GS victory.
Sure he deserves it.

We still bel18ve!!

Arvind Srinivasan
15th September 2015, 08:15 PM
Was there in the crowd on Sunday. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the the third and the fourth set due to the rain delay as I had to get back to work the next day. Right from the first service game it was quite apparent to me that Federer was not on. His serve throughout the first set was very wayward and it lacked the punch that helped him sail through the earlier rounds. Added to that the cooler, slower conditions made it easier for Novak to retrieve his serve. But things did improve in the second. I am yet to see the last two sets. But from what I gather, Federer seemed to have let another opportunity slip. I will be watching the replay in due course. Anyway hearty congratulations to Novak, the deserving champion and commiserations to Roger. Hopefully we get to see him get a GS next year.

PS: (Even though I am very pro- Federer, the crowd was a disgrace to be frank and I didn't even watch the full match)

VinodKumar's
15th September 2015, 08:40 PM
He let the third set unnecessarily ...

Arvind Srinivasan
15th September 2015, 10:36 PM
If only he got the third, things could have been different.....always been the case with him when he faces Novak.....This wait for the 18th is sort of similar to Sachin's wait for the 100th ton...Well you might never know....

ajithfederer
16th September 2015, 07:47 AM
Andha open court forehand (on break point when djokovic was standing like 10 ft away from the baseline)-ae veliya adichaaru paarunga. :sema kaduppu:

Momentum/crowd support/service everything was on flow. he botched it himself.

He let the third set unnecessarily ...

ajithfederer
16th September 2015, 07:59 AM
Novak too played very sub standard tennis from the 2nd set. The crowd clearly got to him and as usual Federer's stupid mistakes gave him what was needed to win the match. Any younger player or a guy like stan would have pounded him to a loss.

ajithfederer
16th September 2015, 08:02 AM
Novak, had a double break in the 4th set, roger converted one and also had a 2 double break point opportunity to be on service again when he botched that one also. Most underwhelming USO tournament in a long time. Never been this disappointed with the quality of tennis like this year.

JamesDap
17th September 2015, 12:40 PM
If only he got the third, things could have been different.....always been the case with him when he faces Novak.....This wait for the 18th is sort of Sachin's wait for the 100th ton...Well you might never know....

Exactly what I was thinking too. He's overthinking this milestone and like the 100th, it means next to nothing because he already has the record. And unfortunately he has no Srini mama to arrange an easy final say against Ferrer on a Wimbledon with old school grass to win the 18th. He will have to get through Nole and Nole is basically a human wall. A wall made of steel or something so the ball bounces back with extra pace.

JamesDap
17th September 2015, 12:42 PM
Novak, had a double break in the 4th set, roger converted one and also had a 2 double break point opportunity to be on service again when he botched that one also. Most underwhelming USO tournament in a long time. Never been this disappointed with the quality of tennis like this year.

Absolutely, worst slam final I have seen on the ATP in quite some time. Telling, that, considering this has usually been the most exciting rivalry in current tennis. The rain delay robbed both guys of rhythm, I guess. Nole has always been better at winning these ugly matches. Even so, Fed was simply horrid in that third set. He had gained control of the match and let it slip from there.

raagadevan
15th October 2015, 05:54 PM
Federer: "I Knew He Could Beat Me"

Defending champion laments early Shanghai exit (Loses in the first match to World No. 70 Ramos-Vinolas).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/federer-reacts-to-shanghai-defeat

raagadevan
17th October 2015, 08:37 PM
Shanghai semifinals...

Djokovic beats Murray 6-1, 6-3...

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/shanghai-2015-djokovic-sets-tsonga-final

...and Tsonga beats Nadal 6-4, 0-6, 7-5!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/shanghai-2015-saturday-tsonga-topples-nadal-to-reach-final

raagadevan
18th October 2015, 09:11 AM
Federer's Grand Slams record not impossible, says Djokovic

Novak Djokovic on Wednesday said taking out Roger Federer's record of 17 Grand Slam titles was one of his main motivations as he looks to prolong his stay at the top of men's tennis. The world number one said Federer's magic total wasn't out of the question after a year in which the Serb contested all four Grand Slam finals and won three of them, taking his total to 10.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Federers-Grand-Slams-record-not-impossible-says-Djokovic/articleshow/49355767.cms

omega
1st November 2015, 05:45 PM
Basel Final Roger vs Rafa....
They are meeting after 2014 AO.
This might be the match that Rafa wants to turn around his bad streak the past year & half or so.
From what we have seen this week Rafa is looking in a much better rhythm to take Roger....

If Roger could some how bring his Summer 2015 game into play then it could be easy picking for him.
However even in his worse form Rafa still has something to unsettle Roger...

VinodKumar's
1st November 2015, 08:39 PM
As expected Annan right moment la sodapitaaru lol

raagadevan
11th November 2015, 12:28 PM
Top 8 qualifiers for the 2015 Barclays ATP Race to London

1. Novak Djokovic

2. Andy Murray

3. Roger Federer

4. Stan Wawrinka

5. Rafael Nadal

6. Tomas Berdych

7. David Ferrer

8. Kei Nishikori

raagadevan
16th November 2015, 12:44 AM
Rohan Bopanna and Florin Mergea defeat the Bryan brothers Bob and Mike (6-4, 6-3) in the doubles round robin match at Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London!

raagadevan
22nd November 2015, 01:19 AM
Rafa: "What Novak Is Doing Is Just Amazing"

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/news-and-media/tennis/nadal-reaction-saturday-2015-london

"Novak for the moment is almost unbeatable," the Manacor native said. "The only thing you can do is congratulate him".

raagadevan
23rd November 2015, 01:03 AM
Novak beats Roger 6-3, 6-4 and wins the Barclays World Tour Final!
Bopanna & Mergea lose the finals to Rojer & Tecau!

raagadevan
23rd November 2015, 01:36 AM
ATP Singles Ranking (As of November 23, 2015):

1 Novak Djokovic
2 Andy Murray
3 Roger Federer
4 Stan Wawrinka
5 Rafael Nadal
6 Tomas Berdych
7 David Ferrer
8 Kei Nishikori
9 Richard Gasquet
10 Jo Wilfried Tsonga

raagadevan
10th December 2015, 04:27 AM
Delhi gets ready for Nadal-Federer clash in IPTL

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/international-premier-tennis-league/Delhi-gets-ready-for-Nadal-Federer-clash-in-IPTL/articleshow/50105567.cms

raagadevan
13th December 2015, 12:42 AM
Nadal beats Federer in IPTL clash as Indian Aces continue winning run

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/sports/nadal-beats-federer-in-iptl-clash-as-indian-aces-continue-winning-run-1176434.html

raagadevan
31st December 2015, 10:03 AM
Times Of India Sportsperson of the Year:
Sania Mirza's triumphal march

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/TOI-Sportsperson-of-the-Year-Sania-Mirzas-triumphal-march/articleshow/50389094.cms

Arvind Srinivasan
26th January 2016, 10:51 PM
Since there seems to be no updates on the Australian Open, I would liked to start things up. Raonic's looked good all through and may end up getting to the semis against Murray or Ferrer. As for Monfils, I don't see him getting to the semis. In the other half, its Federer taking on Djokovic. I would have given Federer at least some chance if it was Wimbledon or the USO. But this being the Australian Open, the match is firmly on Djokovic's racquet. Hoping the match is at least competitive.

Arvind Srinivasan
28th January 2016, 11:05 PM
What a demolition job by Novak. The first two sets were frightening. I never saw the FO demolition of Federer by Nadal. But this ought to have come close to that. Thankfully he got the third set to save himself from absolute humiliation. I still maintain that it is always how you pick yourself from defeat that matters. So I am still hopeful of Federer getting another slam or two. For now it's all Nova(c)k. I am not in a position to admire his dominance since I am firmly rooted to Federer. But I guess I would once the great man retires.

raagadevan
16th April 2016, 08:06 AM
Highlights MONTE CARLO - 2016

Djokovic vs Vesely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URDl0T0Qq7k

Federer vs Tsonga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWbSmHkb_o

raagadevan
16th April 2016, 10:56 PM
HIGHLIGHTS - Monte Carlo 2016 Semifinal

Monfils vs Tsonga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8WezhwTIc

raagadevan
18th April 2016, 02:04 AM
He is back! -At least for now! :)

Rafa Nadal wins his 9th Monte Carlo Masters!

raagadevan
4th June 2016, 02:43 AM
Leander Paes Earns Historic Win In Mixed Doubles

-From ATP News

"Leander Paes partnered Martina Hingis to the Roland Garros mixed doubles title, rallying to win 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 against No. 2 seeds Sania Mirza and Ivan Dodig. Paes became the third player in the Open Era to win a career Grand Slam in both men’s and mixed doubles". "The 42-year-old Paes owns the Open Era men's record with 10 mixed doubles titles. The Indian reached No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Doubles Rankings in 1999 and won Roland Garros three times in men’s doubles (1999, 2001 and 2009)".

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/paes-wins-2016-roland-garros-mixed-doubles-final

raagadevan
7th June 2016, 04:59 AM
The Djokovic standard

-Editorial; The Hindu, June 7, 2016

"Some have suggested that Djokovic winning the calendar Slam this year will earn him the strongest claim to the title of the Greatest of All Time. It’s a discussion that will rage and rage, for like many things in sport, it’s unknowable. More readily apparent, however, is why Djokovic is so good. Nobody can stay with him in the long rally, for he enjoys a significant athletic edge over everyone else. And much like against a fully fit Nadal, the pressure to do too much too soon weighs heavily on opponents."

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-on-novak-djokovic-victory-in-french-open-2016-the-djokovic-standard/article8697386.ece?homepage=true

raagadevan
6th November 2016, 03:00 AM
Andy Murray Rises To No. 1

Andy Murray stands on top of the mountain, the 26th player to rise to No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings – and the oldest first-time No. 1 since 30-year-old John Newcombe in June 1974.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/andy-murray-no-1-emirates-atp-rankings-tribute

Arvind Srinivasan
24th January 2017, 09:46 PM
Been a while. Has anyone been following the AUS Open. A lot of surprises from the World No. 1 and 2 crashing out to the other two members of the Big 4 rolling back the years (Federer especially). Going to be a fun last 5 days.

raagadevan
27th January 2017, 07:26 PM
Rafa Nadal will meet Roger Federal in the Australian Open Men's Final! Which year is this Arvind? I think I am lost in time... May be this is what they call time travel! ;)

raagadevan
28th January 2017, 06:42 AM
Australian Open: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal rivalry in five matches

By Jon Healy; ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) News

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-28/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-rivalry-in-five-matches/8217828

raagadevan
29th January 2017, 06:05 AM
Federer vs. Nadal: 35 Points To Consider

-ATP News 28/01/2017

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/federer-nadal-australian-open-2017-35-things

raagadevan
29th January 2017, 09:41 AM
The match that transcends tennis

"There is sport and then there is Roger playing Rafa in the arguably the most significant match in tennis history"...
"Where will you be when Roger plays Rafa for the AO 2017 title?"

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2017-01-29/the_match_that_transcends_tennis.html

raagadevan
29th January 2017, 05:48 PM
Roger Federer wins his 18th Grand Slam! :clap: Congratulations! :)

omega
29th January 2017, 08:46 PM
Great win for Roger.
Had very little confidence that Fed would be able to win against Rafa in a 5 setter that too after such a long lay off @ 35.5 years.
Perfect win to answer those many questions thrown at him.
Couldn't have been sweeter!!

omega
29th January 2017, 08:47 PM
Congrats to Rafa for a great tournament as well....

Arvind Srinivasan
30th January 2017, 06:33 PM
High quality stuff especially from Federer. Just rocking the backhand.This is the best I have seen him play against Nadal easily. First grand slam win against him in ten years and that too in a final, in five sets and being a break down 1-3. Riveting
The court and the balls assisted Federer to be honest. Faster court and lighter balls. Federer flat hitting the backhand and creating great depth. Looked incredibly difficult for Nadal to break through. Federer snatched that victory emphatically

raagadevan
2nd February 2017, 06:24 AM
Why tennis can't afford to lose Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal -- just yet

By Danielle Rossingh, for CNN - January 31, 2017

"Keep playing Rafa, please, tennis needs you," Federer told the Spaniard during the trophy ceremony after winning a record-extending 18th men's major title at Melbourne Park that broke viewing records around the world and lit up social media.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/tennis/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-tennis-rivalry/

raagadevan
30th April 2017, 05:04 AM
Ramkumar Ramanathan makes first Challenger final; Leander Paes through to doubles decider at the ATP Challenger event in Tallahassee.

It was a day of double joy for Indian tennis fans as young Davis Cupper Ramkumar Ramanathan and veteran Leander Paes both sealed their respective berths in the final of the doubles and singles draws respectively.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/tennis/ramkumar-ramanathan-first-final-leander-paes-doubles-decider-atp-challenger-tallahasse

raagadevan
17th May 2017, 02:25 AM
ATP Announces Trial Of Rule Changes & Innovation For Next Gen ATP Finals In Milan

-Shorter Format: First to Four games sets (Tie-Break at 3-All), Best-of-Five sets, with No-Ad scoring.
-Shorter Warm-Up (Matches will begin precisely 5 minutes from the second player walk-on).
-Shot Clock Between points, during set breaks and medical time-outs).
-No-Let Rule (No-Let rule will apply to serves, consistent with normal ‘let’ occurrences during regular point exchanges).
-Medical Time-Outs (Limit of 1 medical time out per player per match).
-Player Coaching (Players and coaches will be able to communicate at certain points in the match. Coaches will not be allowed on-court).
-‘Free movement’ policy for the crowd except behind the baselines (Will enable fans to move freely in and out of the stadium during matches).

raagadevan
17th July 2017, 08:25 AM
Congratulations to Roger Federer for his 8th Wimbledon and 19th grand slam title!!! :)

raagadevan
2nd September 2017, 09:36 AM
From The Hindu...

How do you solve a problem like Maria...

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-maria/article19604716.ece

The tennis world has mixed feelings about Sharapova’s primetime return after a doping ban

Maria Sharapova stepped onto Arthur Ashe Stadium donning a glittery black jacket over a little lacy black tennis dress, with a smattering of shining crystals. Brazen, by some means, but she was making a statement. A bigger statement, however: a first round victory — 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 — over World No. 2 Simona Halep at her first Grand Slam appearance in 581 days. Unstoppable… she had titled her recent autobiography. And she seemed the part.

Was that really Sharapova? The audience could scarcely believe it. But there it was. The familiar ear-assaulting shriek. The hard-hitting ground strokes. The grim expression from possibly the most mentally tough athlete in the game, even after winning a crucial point. It was 11 in the night when she won, but the crowd had just started cheering.

Monday’s match proved she is still one of the best players in the world. It also showed just how much the tennis world missed her. Sharapova in her fiercely competitive element was pure blockbuster gold; a record 23,771 attending the night session of the first round.

Asked what she’d learned about herself after the match, the Russian said, “Behind all these Swarovski crystals and little black dresses, this girl has a lot of grit and she’s not going anywhere.” However, for many within the tennis world, that she is here at all seems unfair: her return on a wild-card after a doping ban has been dubbed premature and undeserved.

Sharapova is a formidable opponent, but she is not well-liked by a considerable number of her fellow-players on the WTA tour. She has served her punishment, but the continued vilification of her as a cheat hasn’t stopped. Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard said, “She is a cheater, and so, to me, I don’t think a cheater in any sport should be allowed to play that sport again.” They met at the Madrid Open this year, and even if Bouchard won, the handshake at the net was awkward at best and frosty at worst. Bouchard went on to say that her opinion of Sharapova was widely shared by most players in the locker-room. When asked a question about Sharapova after her round-one loss at the US Open here, Bouchard responded with a deadpan face. “I think my comments are pretty public already.”

What constitutes punishment?

Calling her a cheat seems a tad unkind, especially when the Court of Arbitration for Sport emphasised in its decision reducing Sharapova’s ban that in no way can she be considered an ‘intentional doper.’
Also Read

At the US Open, Sharapova sniping practically a sport itself

Following comments from many other players on tour, former tennis star Martina Navratilova urged them to stop focusing on Sharapova. “I think it is time for the players to lay off Maria. She made a huge mistake, paid dearly for it, ‘done the time’ and now let’s play ball,” she said.

But has she ‘done her time’? Is it correct to equate the end of Sharapova’s suspension as the end of her punishment? Should she be treated like how exactly she was — former World No. 1 and five-time Grand Slam champion? WTA CEO Steve Simon certainly thought so. He said Sharapova had paid the price for her negligence. “I don't think a suspension should wipe out the career’s worth of work.”

At the time of her return, she was ranked 262. In tennis terms, that is effectively being demoted to the level of an average country club hitter. Of course, it does not go to say she is the 262nd best player in the world. It is just the nature — or limitation, if you’d prefer — of the ranking system. Only tournaments played in the last 12 months can be added to a player’s account, which is why Sharapova was found rock-bottom. And the struggle to the top was always going to be arduous. When she was denied a wild-card entry to the French Open, French tennis federation chief Bernard Giudicelli didn’t mince his words. “So,” he said, “it is up to Maria, day after day, tournament after tournament, to find alone the strength she needs to win the big titles without owing anything to anyone.”

And that is what critics feel Sharapova should have done. Worked her way up the line and not be parachuted directly to the easy-access spot. Today, over three months since Sharapova re-debuted on tour, she ranks a mere 171st. World No. 3 Garbine Muguruza said when asked about the decision to give her a wildcard, “When someone has been, you know — I don’t know if it’s banned, the word, or, like, out of competition, you have to work for it a little bit, to go and play your tournaments. You’ve got to work hard and deserve it again. I think that’s the way.”
Also Read
Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova says she failed a drug test for meldonium at the Australian Open this year.

What is meldonium and why did Sharapova take it?

The US Open wild-card is the tenth that Sharapova has received ever since her return from the ban. A wild-card is a coveted prize and handing that prize is at the discretion of the tournament and each tournament has, predictably and understandably, its own vested interests. Top players were dropping like flies even before the US Open had begun, it needed someone like a ‘destroyer ship’; someone to help lift them off Dunkirk. Could the USTA be at fault for wanting to bring in more fans by leveraging Sharapova’s popularity and glamour? As American Madison Keys said the other day about the opening match: “I don’t think any tennis fan in the world is not going to have that match on.”

But was Sharapova unfairly privileged? Perhaps a better way was to hand it to a player who hadn’t served a doping ban and needed the ranking points that come with winning matches at premier events. Without that wild-card, players have to fight through exhausting qualifying-round matches. Or slog it out at other tournaments with smaller prize money. Something that Sharapova would not be too familiar with. Throughout her suspension, the entire team behind Sharapova stayed with her. Such was the money muscle in play that, prior to her return, her management went on a media blitzkrieg: many interviews, the release of her book and of course, Sugarpova. Sharapova is more a brand than a player and rakes in more money than anyone else on tour.

The debate surrounding her return will probably continue awhile. But soon, the questions about her doping and return will stop featuring at post-match conferences. If her first night this week was any indication, however, she will be a force to reckon with. The fans needed her, however flawed or faulty. And she needed tennis — “It’s prime time, baby! I love it.”

raagadevan
2nd September 2017, 09:51 AM
If anyone is really reading the above posting and is confused about what the title refers to, here it is...

From the 1976 Hollywood classic; The Sound of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-VRyQprlu8

raagadevan
2nd September 2017, 07:08 PM
India's Paes a mainstay at the US Open

By Ashley Marshall (USTA News)
Friday, September 01, 2017

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2017-09-01/2017-09-01_indias_paes_a_mainstay_at_the_us_open.html?chip =2

It was the first Thursday of the 1993 US Open, 24 years to the day on Saturday, when Leander Paes made his US Open main draw debut.

He walked out onto a court that no longer exists, partnering a player that has now been retired for 16 years. A lush circular park then stood where Arthur Ashe Stadium currently looms over the grounds – a facility that didn’t have Billie Jean King’s name attached to it for more than a decade.

And on Friday, the 44-year-old Indian – the oldest player at the US Open – was back in action in New York again, his 14th consecutive trip to Flushing Meadows and his 20th in the past 21 years.

“You have to be passionate about what you do,” Paes said after his first-round men’s doubles match with countryman Purav Raja. “Tennis is a phenomenal sport we have, and to call it our job? We’re really lucky. It’s a privilege to have this life.

“I love my sport. I love the late-night workouts. I love waking up in the morning, knowing Purav is by my side and we’re going to help each other out through thick and thin. Whether you win, lose or something in between, it doesn’t matter. You’re together as a team. That camaraderie you share with your partner becomes a brotherhood. That camaraderie you share with each other families becomes a team. The power of the team creates the power on the court. That’s what I love.”

Paes won the US Open boys’ singles title as an 18-year-old in 1991 but lost in the qualifying tournament for the men’s singles competition in the two years that followed. More than losing in the final round of 1992 qualies, the thing he remembers the most is getting lost in the parking lot for an hour, eventually climbing over a fence to get into the site so he could change for his match.

Paes’ first taste of the main draw came in the doubles competition of the 1993 tournament. Partnering Canadian Sebastien Lareau on Court 21, he was playing in just his second-ever Grand Slam match after losing in the first round of the men’s doubles at Wimbledon earlier that year.

But out of nowhere, the unseeded, unheralded duo of Paes and Lareau provided one upset after another on their way to the semifinals.

“I was playing the ad court back then,” Paes recalled. “Sebastian had an unbelievably world-class backhand. He just played the deuce court and he kept on winning every point on the deuce court and I made some returns and we won. But I remember back then it was a different style of play. I’ve had to adjust to so many partners and that’s what makes tennis fun for me to keep remodeling my game to suit my partners’ best and bring the best out in them.”

Paes hasn’t had to scale a wire fence to play another match in New York ever since. =

Paes' run to the semifinal 24 years ago was the start of his love affair with New York City and the US Open.

In the almost two-and-a-half decades since then, the 44-year-old has had some of his most memorable moments in the Big Apple. He won men’s doubles titles in 2006, 2009 and 2013 with Martin Damm, Lukas Dlohny and Radek Stepanek, respectively. He also won mixed doubles crowns in 2008 with Cara Black and, most recently, in 2015 with Martina Hingis. Between five titles and seven other finals appearances, Paes has plenty of reasons to love New York City.

“The fans in New York are some of the greatest fans,” Paes said. “It’s the energy of the place. It’s just a live wire. You can really tap into it. I’ve had some great matches with [Andre] Agassi here on the old Armstrong court. I had a good ’93 semifinal on Court No. 1 where I won my junior singles final, and I remember Wilt Chamberlain was watching back in ’91.”

Paes, the only tennis player to ever compete in seven Olympics, has 55 career doubles titles to his name, including 26 with Mahesh Bhupathi – a team that earned the nickname the Indian Express. As a testament to his doubles prowess, Paes has achieved the career Grand Slam in both men’s doubles and mixed doubles.

On Friday in New York, Paes partnered with the 31-year-old Raja, who was just 11 years old when Paes made his Flushing Meadows debut.

The duo first played together in 2013 in the first round of an Asia/Oceania Group I Davis Cup tie against Korea in New Delhi. Raja was Paes’ 92nd men’s doubles partner, a list that has since expanded to 118 men with the latest addition of 20-year-old Alexander Zverev in Cincinnati last month. If you include females in mixed doubles tournaments, Paes has partnered 143 other players.

“If we can create some magic like the old Indian Express created, we have a new Indian Express rolling into town,” Paes said. “The old makes way for the new and if we can create some history like that, that’s my dream.”

Watching Paes in person is a treat in itself. From the bleachers, you can hear the way fans speak in superlative and you can get a sense for his movement and touch that you don’t necessarily get from TV.

"He's the best doubles player I've ever seen,” one fan said to the strangers sat in the rows in front and behind him in the Court 12 bleachers.

“Watch his hands. He has the softest hands,” said another, gesturing with his arms, twisting his wrists so his palms were up, then down, then facing his body.

At 44, Paes’ game is not made for power and certainly not for speed. But in doubles, that’s not necessarily a prerequisite for success. The game is determined as much by court positioning, feel and tactics, and in that regard, there are few players – his age or younger – that ply their craft better.

On serve Friday, Paes had zero aces and zero double faults, but his placement was perfect and one-quarter of his serves never got returned – impressive numbers against former world No. 8 Tisparevic and No. 12 Troicki. On the return game, you see Paes swaying gently side to side a foot behind the baseline, double-tapping first his left foot, then his right, slowly leaning forward as he jumps into a split step. His anticipation is remarkable, surpassed only by athleticism which belies his age.

When Raja was serving and Paes was at the net, you watch Paes straddle the center line, placing his left hand behind his back and signaling both serve direction and his own movement. From the deuce court, a flick of the pinky twice indicates a serve out wide and Paes following the ball in that direction. If he flashes his pinky then his forefinger, the serve is still going wide, but Paes is going to his right, usually after a stutter step or a head feint left.

That’s drastically over-simplifying the approach, of course, but you get the idea.

“It’s been a while since I played with someone who understands doubles this intuitively,” Paes said of Raja. “The last one I can remember would be Radek Stepanek, who I won with in 2013. To have that on the same side of the court gives me a lot of peace of mind, a lot of comfortability that I can play my regular type of doubles that has allowed me to get to 35 Grand Slam finals.”

That could soon be 36 if Paes continues to showcase his complete repertoire, as he did in Round 1. A flick of the wrist that rolled a forehand down the doubles alley in the opening game; a half-volley pickup that he sent for a winner; an angled drop shot at 3-3 in the second set from a seemingly impossible position at the net; a pair of forehand returns winners in which he created space with his footwork and guided the ball past Tipsarevic at the net despite not taking a full swing at either ball.

Those shots, full of touch, experience and finesse, are what Paes has become known for. And they’re what had a large and enthusiastic New York crowd applauding his every move.

Back home, Paes is a national treasure. He has a medallion from when he was presented with Indian’s highest sporting honor, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, in 1997; a scroll which accompanied the Arjuna Award for representing his country with distinction; and medals from the Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri, the third- and fourth-highest civilian awards the Indian government presents.

“I think it’s a reflection of the years of hard work by my team,” said Paes, who has a Twitter following of more than 1 million despite being born three decades before the term Twitter was even coined. “I wouldn’t be who I am without my parents or my sister or my team – Sanjay Singh, Dave Herman, Rick Leach, Bob Carmichael, James Dicker. It’s unbelievable. They’ve all done so much for me. Every one of these accolades has their names engraved on it. Every one of my trophies has their names engraved on it.

“There are so many Indians here in New York. We’re lucky that the tennis-playing community has been able to transcend the Indian community. Whenever we go, we have such a big following. It’s almost like a responsibility for us to bring people some happiness through our brand of tennis.

“Tennis is the second biggest sport in India after cricket and I guess some of us are responsible for the growth in tennis and we continue to be. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a big responsibility and a great honor to represent my country. My parents did it in basketball and field hockey. For me, I grew up playing for the blue. To play for India is the greatest joy that I’ve ever had in my career and I will ever have in my life. To do it for 1.3 billion Indians? It’s magic.”

raagadevan
11th September 2017, 04:26 AM
Rafa Nadal wins the US Open, his second Grand Slam of 2017, and will remain #1 in the year-to-date and ATP rankings for the year 2017! :)

rajraj
11th September 2017, 06:19 AM
If anyone is really reading the above posting and is confused about what the title refers to, here it is...

From the 1976 Hollywood classic; The Sound of Music:

RD: Sound of Music is a 1965 classic ! :)

raagadevan
11th September 2017, 08:27 AM
RD: Sound of Music is a 1965 classic ! :)

You're right Raj! :) It is a very old movie; how am I supposed to know the exact year?! :-D

raagadevan
12th September 2017, 05:47 AM
Rafa Nadal's 16 Grand Slam Championship Points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhB--gXajlQ

raagadevan
17th November 2017, 09:53 AM
Rafa Nadal secures year-end number one ranking for the first time since 2013

November 1, 2017 4:01 PM

Rafael Nadal ensured he will end the season ranked number one with a 7-5 6-3 victory over Chung Hyeong at the Paris Masters.

It is the fourth time the 31-year-old has achieved the feat having previously finished 2008, 2010 and 2013 on top.

This has been a remarkable season of renaissance for Nadal, who bounced back from wrist problems last year to win his 15th and 16th grand slam titles at the French Open and US Open.

In an on-court interview broadcast by Sky Sports, the Spaniard said: "I'm very very happy for everything. It has been an amazing year. One year ago for sure I never dreamed about being world number one at end of the season so it's something that means a lot."

Roger Federer's withdrawal from the tournament in order to rest ahead of the ATP Finals meant Nadal needed only one win to guarantee his great rival could not catch him.

And he avoided any slip-ups against 54th-ranked Chung, although the 21-year-old did cause Nadal problems.

Nadal sat out last week's event in Basel to rest his knees after a successful hard-court season and put in a patchy performance.

After conceding an early break, he looked to have turned things around when he led 5-2 in the opening set only for Chung to level up.

The young Korean had a break point for 6-5 but Nadal's serve helped him get out of trouble and he pulled away from a tiring Chung at the end to claim victory after an hour and 48 minutes.

Nadal has, of course, enjoyed fantastic success in Paris, winning the French Open 10 times across the city at Roland Garros, but he has never won the title at Bercy.

Next he will face Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas, who ended a 10-match losing streak in round one and backed that up with a 6-7 (5/7) 7-6 (7/1) 6-2 victory over 15th seed Albert Ramos-Vinolas.

Fourth seed Alexander Zverev looked jaded in a surprise 3-6 6-2 6-2 loss to Dutchman Robin Haase in his opening match.

In the race to join Nadal and Zverev at the ATP Finals in London, there were valuable victories for Lucas Pouille and John Isner.

Pouille, the champion in Vienna last weekend, eased to a 6-3 6-4 win over Feliciano Lopez while Isner, who would need to win the title in Paris to stand a chance, was a 7-6 (7/2) 6-7 (11/13) 6-3 winner over Diego Schwartzman.

But Kevin Anderson, the man beaten by Nadal in the final of the US Open, can no longer qualify after a 5-7 6-4 7-5 defeat by Fernando Verdasco.

Press Association
Follow @IndoSport

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tennis/rafa-nadal-secures-yearend-number-one-ranking-for-the-first-time-since-2013-36281294.html

raagadevan
17th November 2017, 09:55 AM
Rafael Nadal wins defamation case over doping claims

(CNN) A French tribunal on Thursday ordered a former minister of health and sports to pay tennis star Rafael Nadal $11,800 in damages for accusing him of doping.
The tribunal found that Roselyne Bachelot, who served as the minister of health and sports between 2007 and 2010, defamed the 16-time grand slam winner during a March 2016 television appearance in France.

The tennis star filed a lawsuit against Bachelot the following month, saying at the time that the case was intended "to defend my integrity and my image as an athlete, but also the values I have defended all my career."

In a statement released Thursday by a representative of Nadal's Monaco-based PR team, the Spanish player said he also sought to prevent "any public figure from making insulting or false allegations against an athlete using the media, without any evidence or foundation and to go unpunished." "The motivation as I have always remarked was not economical," he said. Nadal said he would donate the 10,000 euros awarded to him to a French charity.
After filing the lawsuit, Nadal asked the International Tennis Federation to disclose the results of all doping tests he has ever taken.

During an appearance on French TV's Canal+, Bachelot accused Nadal of taking seven months out of tennis between 2012 and 2013 to cover up a failed drugs test. "We know that the famous injury which kept Nadal out for seven months is without any doubt because he tested positive," Bachelot said. "When you see a tennis player out of action for a long time, it's usually because they've tested positive." Nadal has maintained that he missed various tournaments, including the 2012 Olympics and US Open, due to a knee injury.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/16/tennis/rafa-nadal-tennis-lawsuit/index.html

raagadevan
20th November 2017, 03:11 AM
Grigor Dimitrov defeats David Goffin (7-5, 4-6, 6-3) to win the Nitto ATP Finals in London. He will the #3 in the year-end Emirates ATP ranking for 2017.

raagadevan
8th April 2018, 06:57 PM
Leander Paes Records 750th Doubles Match Win

-By James Buddell, ATP News, April 07, 2018

"Leander Paes continues to span the sport’s generations, entertaining with the same youthful enthusiasm and passion that he first showcased 29 seasons ago. The evergreen Indian, a feisty competitor with a familar smile never far away, has today become the sixth player in ATP World Tour history (since 1973) to record 750 doubles match wins."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/atp-heritage-paes-750-match-wins-tribute

raagadevan
23rd April 2018, 05:25 PM
Rafa Nadal Wins his 11th Monte Carlo Open Championship!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/video/nadals-road-to-la-undcima

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/5-things-we-learned-monte-carlo-2018

raagadevan
11th June 2018, 01:47 AM
Rafael Nadal sheds tear for French Open court (Court Philippe Chatrier) he has made his own

Rafael Nadal duly collected his 11th French Open title here on Sunday with a brutal, brilliant, resilient and ruthless performance, just as he had done 10 times before.

From The Guardian - International Edition.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/jun/10/rafael-nadal-tear-french-open-court-philippe-chatrier-wimbledon-dominic-thiem