PDA

View Full Version : A brief study on Hindu temples built in Miyanmar (Burma) by early Tamil Traders

virarajendra
21st August 2013, 09:02 AM
Author - Virarajendra

Under Construction

A brief study on Hindu temples built in Miyanmar (Burma) by early Tamil Traders

Nathlaung Kyaung Temple

The Nathlaung Kyaung Temple is a Vaishnavite temple known as "Naanaadesi Vinnakar Alvaar Temple" built during the reign of king Anawrahta at Thatbyinnyu in Miyinpagan of Miyanmar (Burma), by the Tamil Trading Guild namely the Naanaadesis that operated in Tamil Nadu and Kerala of South India and is the only Hindu temple in existance in Pagan (Pukkam alias Arimandanapuram) of Miyanmar. Among the original temple only the superstructure and main hall remain, while other structures have been lost to us today. The existing structure in ruins have been preserved by the Miyanmar Archaeological Department.

This square temple with steep-rising upper terraces is dedicated to the Hindu God Vishnu, and was built by the Indian artisans brought into Pagan to work on other Hindu temples. It is clearly was the temple of the Indian merchant community and the priests in the service of the king.

The high mandapa, a sacred door and one fixed lamp to burn continuously to this temple was the gift of a Vaishnavite Merchant from Mahodai (present Kodungallur) of Malaiyamandalam (Chera country = Kerala) of the 13th century. Originally there have been statues of 10 - incarnations of Vishnu housed in niches on outer wall, out of which only seven have survived. The large Vishnu figure that was standing on the mythical Garuda has been taken to Berlin and kept on display at Dahlem Museum.

A bilingual Inscription both in Sanskrit and Tamil from Myinpagan the location of this Temple read as follows:

(Sanskrit): "Hail! Prosperity! [I have] no regard for merit, none for a heap of wealth, none at all for the enjoyment of lust. Whatever is to happen, O God! [will happen] in accordance with previous actions. This [alone] is to be prayed for [and] highly valued by me. In every other birth also let [me] possess unswerving devotion to the pair of thy lotus-feet!"

(Tamil): "Hail! Prosperity! Let the wealth of [this] temple increase! [In] the temple of Nanadesi-Vinnagar-Alvar at Pukkam (Pagan), alias Arivattanapuram (Arimaddanapura), I, Irayiran Siriyan alias Sri-Kulasekhara-Nambi of Magodayarpattanam in Malaimandalam, made a sacred mandapa, gave a sacred door, and gave one fixed lamp to hum constantly in this mandapa. [Let] this prosper! This meritorious gift [was made by] a native of Malaimandalam."