PDA

View Full Version : Easy dosa/idli

Pappadum
8th February 2005, 05:04 AM
I live in the US and am a bachelor. I also enjoy cooking. What that translates into is, a quest for the easiest and fastest way to make these lovely crepes (or any recipes for that matter). It may seem a bit involved and tedious, but is actually quite easy.

Here's my contribution;

Sift separately; one part urad flour to three parts rice flour (no time or facilities to grind and such - it works out fine). 3:11/2 ratio works best for dosa and idli combo.

(Assuming 3 cups rice flour to 1 cup urad flour, which yields 12 - 15 crepes (about 10 in. in diameter), or 7 dosas and 6 muffin sized idlis)

To each portion of sifted flours, slowly add warm water (do not use hot water!! It turns into starch - since we're using flour here) and (separately) beat to batter consistency using a whisk. Then combine the two batters and mix again with a hand blender. (I found the more air bubbles you create, the better it ferments). The batter must not be completely watery, but slightly thick.

Add 2 t. salt and 1/4 teaspoon yeast and set aside to ferment at room temperature. In the winter this may take as long as 12 - 15 hours, otherwise it's set in about 8 hours. The level of batter should rise and smell a little sour.

For idlis, pour out the requisite portion on an idli tray or muffin pan, and steam for about 10 to 15 mins. (Too long and it hardens).

To continue for dosas, after fermentation, add 1/2 t. fenugreek (methi) powder, 1/4 c. all purpose flour (maida - acts as a binder so that dosas don't fall apart), 1/4 t. baking soda and a pinch of asafetida (kayam/hing). Combine and whisk well.

I use a cast iron skillet to fry the dosas but any non stick pan will work, as long its well heated, but not smoking hot (med-high). Season the surface by dry roasting some salt, discard the salt, then rub the flat part of a halved onion on the surface of the pan. (Bear with me - it works!) Finally, pour some oil (Canola or veggie oil works fine), let it heat up for a while, then lightly mop it all up with a cheese cloth or paper towel. Your "tava" is now ready! (Don't discard the cheese cloth just yet!)

Using an oil spray can is best (unflavored). Spray the surface lightly, and then pour a ladle full of the batter from above, and slowly spread the batter into wider circumference using a circular motion. The thinner the crepe, the crispier it gets, but I like it soft and a little thick, only slightly crispy. Spray the top of the pancake as well, and then dot the edges with gingelly (sesame) oil. (Gingelly oil is too strong for me to cook with, gives me heartburn). You can lightly lift the edges almost immediately with a rubber spatula, but don't flip the pancake just yet. Let it sit for a few minutes; when the edges appear crisp, then you can flip the crepe over. The top surface should be golden brown, but not burnt. The bottom surface will not cook as well, but that's ok.

After each dosa is done, wipe the "tava" with the "seasoned" cheese cloth from above. You can also use the onion from time to time (it gives the dosas a shiny gloss and a unique flavor).

Repeat until done. You can refrigerate extra batter up to three days. Just portion it out and bring to room temperature 1/2 hour before re-use.

Enjoy!

Andy
21st February 2005, 10:27 PM
Thank you for puttings all the tips in place. Sure it helps bachelors. Believe me its helpful for working couple too.

Thanks
Andy

Idiappam
3rd March 2005, 11:27 PM
Yeah, thank you Pappa dum!