PDA

View Full Version : Salad recipes

R
8th February 2005, 03:34 PM
Hello friends,

If anyone has simple and interesting fruit or vegetable salad recipes, preferrably Indian style, pls do post them. It could be yr own creation or from other sites, what ever itz, that is fine!

I have been looking so many sites and also tested a few. Will post them soon.

So, ready to make salads here!!

Thanks in advance and Bye.

lavsensuba
9th February 2005, 01:23 AM
Hi R,
Here are some simple salads that I make:

Roasted corn and Tomato salad.

Fozen corn kernels- 1 cup
Tomatoes - cherry - 1 cup sliced (you can use more than one color)
Garlic - whole pod
Olive oil or regular oil - 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Chilly flakes - 1/2 tsp (more if needed)

Roast the corn on regular tava on med high heat till well done and slightly blackend. Meantime, slice the head of the whole garlic pod and dribble some oil and bake in oven till well done (when you squezee the pod you should get the mushy paste). Remove corn and allow to cool. Mix the tomatoes with conr and the garlic paste. Add salt and red chilly flakes and oil. Mix well and serve. This is a very tasty salad and goes great with sandwiches.

Simple cucumber salad.

Cucumber seedless- skinned and cut into chunks- 1 cup
Tomatoes- cut into chunks - 1/2 cup
Chat masala - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Lemon Juice
Mix cucumber and tomatoes. Add the chat masala, salt and lemon juice. Mix and serve immediately.

Thanks

R
9th February 2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks, Suba's mommy. Will surely give a try.

Here are a few salads which I tried.

Considering the qty, I add the standard vegetables like onion, cucumber, tomato and grated or cut carrot.

Alongwith the above, you can try different combinations like one day, can add sprouted, half boiled or just sprouted whole moong;
second combination is adding boiled peanut or skinless sliced almonds and the third one is to add boiled channa or sprouted half boiled white channa. Finally, can add cooked macaroni too!!

These are all the experiments I tried and my fly. loved all of them incl. my kids. Maybe for kids, can add some paneer pieces.

For your taste, can add cut green chillies(throw them before you serve), jeera powder, pepper powder, haldi, coriander leaves, hing, and salt.

The above salads are very simple and can be done even at the last moment.

Bye.

khushi
9th February 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks R for starting this thread !!!

I love salads too. I will try those posted here and will give you the feedback.

There's more motivation to visit this forum daily.

-Regards,
Khushi

R
9th February 2005, 08:27 PM
That is so nice of you, Khushi.

It would be better if more people participate and post their versions becoz salads are not like other dishes. There is no age limitations and it should be a part of our day today food.

Pls do post if you have any tested salads' recipes.

Thanks and Bye.

lavsensuba
10th February 2005, 01:16 AM
Hi this recipe is not technically a salad but is great for snack and kids love it.

Vegetable Bhel
Puffed Rice/Marmara - 5 cup
Carrot Grated - 2 cups
Onion Grated - 1 cup
Cucumber Grated - 11/2 cups
Tomato Finely Chopped - 1 cup
Peanuts - 1 cup roasted
Lemon Juice - 4 tbsp
Green Chilly - 5-7 finely chopped
Salt as per taste

Mix everything except marmara and peanuts and chill. While serving mix in the marmara and peanuts and serve immediately.

kavithasenthil
10th February 2005, 02:30 AM
Wow. Its a good thread. Can any one post a recipe for bhel puri?(puffed rice with chutney)
thanks. :)

R
10th February 2005, 03:16 AM
Hi suba's mommy,

Sounds tasty!! Definitely, will give a try and let you know tomorrow. If we reduce the qty of peanuts, then we can also use have this dish.

Thank u so much.

R
10th February 2005, 03:19 AM
sorry for the error..it shd be "we can also have.......

lavsensuba
10th February 2005, 03:28 AM
Yep. No need peanuts if you don't want too.

lavsensuba
10th February 2005, 03:31 AM
Carrot Kossumalli Recipe

Carrot - 2 cups grated
Green Chilly - 1 finely chopped
Lemon Juice - 1- 2 tbsp as per taste
Salt as per taste
Tomato - 1 finely chopped
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Corriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Curry leaves - 2-3

Heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard. Allow to splutter. add the curry leaves and remove from heat. Mix all the ingredients with the spluttered mustard and serve. This tastes great with sambar, rasam etc. and is very healthy for kids.

gaya3usa
10th February 2005, 04:24 AM
1 Can - Whole kernel Corn drained
1 Cup - Sherred lettuce
1 Can Chick peas
1/2 cup pomograte
1/2 cup peeled & finely chopped apple
5 sp sun flower seeds or flax seeds
1/2 Cup thick plain yougurt to mix
granish with cliantro

Try this ... & let me know if you all liked it.

- Gayathri

Thattai
10th February 2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Gayatri,

Are there any seasonings that need to be added to the above salad?

R
10th February 2005, 06:57 PM
Just now, prepared vegetable bhel and also tasted immediately. It was really great. The crispiness of the pori and peanut makes a perfect combination with the vegetables.

I added half qty of the peanut and for the rest, substituted with sprouted moong! Since murmura goes well with this salad, guess, that our regular pori will also goes well. Will try someday...

Thanks once again.

R
10th February 2005, 07:09 PM
tomato cups

tomato 3 firm
kos ½ cup grated
mango ¼ cup “
carrot ½ cup”

milagu 1 tsp, jeera 1 tsp

Remove the top of the tomato as a slice. Scoop out the seeds from the tomato. Now, stuff all the veg., and milagu, jeera powders. For closing, place thin cucumber slice as a lid or you can even use tomato top.

For kids, you can add extra ingredients like grated paneer or cheese or cut nuts or pori as garnishing.

lavsensuba
10th February 2005, 08:14 PM
That is great R. Yep any type of pori is fine. I always make it with regular pori. You can always keep experimenting. If you have omm podi you can add that too.

R
11th February 2005, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I had this bhel puri in a birthday party and it tasted great. That friend gave me this recipe and the qty. are app.,

First need to buy rice pori, mixture and plain sev.

Green chutney

coriander leaves 1/2 bunch, mint leaves 1 bunch

Grind the above two leaves alongwith green chillies, jeera and salt nicely. If you need, can squeeze lemon juice.

Tamarind sweet chutney

Season in oil with cumin, pour the tamarind juice and jaggery. Let it cook nicely till it is thick.

Now, mix rice pori, mixture, sev, onion, tomato, carrot and the 2 chutneys. Arrange them in a plate and on top of it, garnish with cut onion and more sev.

Ready to eat..Bye..

Thattai
11th February 2005, 08:33 AM
Hi all,

I read this thread for the 1st time yesterday, and was very happy to see it. It inspired me to get into my kitchen and try my hand at a salad dressing (I LOVE salads)

Anyways, I took some olive oil, bit of honey, lemon juice, salt, pepper (everything to taste - but more oil and less honey) and shook it up in a small container - it helps to get everything mixed up.

Then just poured reqd qty over steamed brocolli and chopped red and yellow bell peppers and some shredded pudhina. I loved it!!

Next time I'm going to add basil (instead of pudhina) and also some chopped garlic...

I'm guessing u can just throw in anything u have in the fridge - like corn or mushrooms or anything, maybe even some roasted chicken or something...

I'll post a salad by Tarla Dalal soon which we love in our house... (I took inspiration from her recipe for the above dressing actually)

Anyways, experiment and enjoy!!!

gaya3usa
11th February 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Gayatri,

Are there any seasonings that need to be added to the above salad?

Thattai -
No other seasoning, other than salt.
If you are using the home made curd,drain the excess water, or you can use the store yougurt

gaya3usa
11th February 2005, 09:09 AM
1 cup shreded lettuce
1/2 spourted moong dal
1 can Corn Kernels drained
1/4 cup Grated carrot
1/4 cup Shreded red cabbage
1 cup cooked macoroni
5 tbs Olive oil
Crushed pepper corns
You can also add 3tbs spoon your favourite salad dressing
Mix and serve

R
14th February 2005, 05:16 PM
Another tasty salad recipe, try it out!

Boiled macaroni - 1 cup
Boiled potatoes (diced) - 1 cup
Diced cucumber - 1/2 cup
Diced tomatoes (blanched and deseeded) - 1/2 cup
Very finely chopped green chillies - According to taste
Chopped lettuce leaves - 1 cup
Hung curd - 1 and a 1/2 cup
Finely chopped garlic - 1 pod
Finely chopped capsicum - 1/4 cup
Mustard powder - 1/4 tsp
Honey-1 tbsp optl.

Method

In a bowl, whip up the hung curd along with the crushed garlic, green chillies, salt and mustard powder.

Mix the remaining ingredients in a salad bowl. Sprinkle a little salt. Pour in the dressing over it and mix lightly. Drizzle the honey on top

pr
14th February 2005, 11:09 PM
Dear friends
Can we discuss about soups also in this thread . It will be very nice if you post some recipes for soups ..
Thanks

khushi
14th February 2005, 11:37 PM
R,
You have mentioned milagu in tomato cups recipes? What is milagu in English? Please let me know.

khushi
14th February 2005, 11:38 PM
Hi pr,
I agree with you, we should start talking about Soups too.

R
14th February 2005, 11:49 PM
Sorry, Khushi. Milagu is pepper in English.

R
18th February 2005, 03:37 AM
Hi,

I saw sweet potato salad recipe in TV and modified a bit. Here it is-

sweet potato salad

Sweet potato 1, onion 1 small size, tomato 1 small, green chillies or pepper powder, hung curd 1/2 cup, jeera powder, hing, salt.

Cut all veggies into small pieces. You can fry sweet potato in oil(no skin). But, I prefer to cook them in microwave becoz, in cooker, it will get so soft. After cooking, keep them open in the air so that it will get little harder and now, remove the skin.

I always prefer to use pepper powder than chillies since it is good for health too and the additional powders will help in digesting sweet potato.

Mix rest of the veggies and other ingredients well with sweet potato. Yummy salad is ready to eat.

Badri
18th February 2005, 04:32 AM
I just had one question while reading the salad recipes - what on earth is hung curd?

Thanks

R
18th February 2005, 05:15 AM
Hung curd means to pour the curd in a cloth and to hang for some time or keep in siever to drain the water completely so that you will get a solid curd. Hung curd salad is toally different from our regular raitha. Try and you will like it, guess!!

Badri
18th February 2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks R.

Guess I would have to try it to see how much I can enjoy it. But just a thought, wouldn't it make the curd rather thick, and not a very good base for a salad? Wouldn't it be more like crumbled paneer or something?

Of course, with our all too familiar experience with curd, I am assuming it is going to be the base, and I could well be wrong in that.

Cheers

Thattai
18th February 2005, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

This is an 'Indian' style salad that I hope you all will enjoy!

Spring Onion Salad:

Got the recipe for this from our Maharashtrian neighbour, and it is a big hit whenever I have served it to family and friends.

Spring Onions and greens, chopped – 1 cup (250 ml)
Cucumber, chopped – ½ cup
Peanuts, skinned, roasted and pounded – ¼ cup
Coconut, grated – ¼ cup
Green chillies, seeded and finely minced – to taste
Sugar – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice – to taste

Method:
Combine all the ingredients, except the peanuts, salt and lemon juice. This can be done ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. Just before serving, add the peanuts, salt and lemon juice, mix well and serve.

PS: The peanuts need to be pounded coarsely, and they need to be crunchy.

PPS: This can be served at room temperature as well, if assembled just before serving.

Thattai
18th February 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi sbadri99,

Hung curd will not be crumbly. It will have a texture like cream cheese or v. thick mayo. It makes a very good base for a dip as well - just add salt, white pepper powder, finely chopped herbs of choice. Mix well and serve with veggie sticks, chips or anything else.

As a dip, you need to use fresh curd, as anything more than a slight hint of sourness will spoil the taste.

Badri
18th February 2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks Thattai

Looking forward to a salady weekend!

khushi
19th February 2005, 10:56 AM
Suba's mommy,
I tried the cucumber salad and it was food. My husband liked it. Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it.

-Khushi