PDA

View Full Version : UlagaNayagan KAMALHAASAN in ||"UthamaVillan"|| Directed by Ramesh Aravind

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

nickraman
3rd May 2015, 11:27 PM
3.5 crores on Sat opening day? Is thi good for complex subject like this? Busget wise?

Kanna
3rd May 2015, 11:34 PM
The impact that the 8th century story-songs created while listening to the audio was missing when I saw the visuals, imo. Never thought 8th century portion would be humor centric. Felt Nasser did a Vadivelu in those portions, and the audience at Madipakkam Kumaran theater thoroughly enjoyed

Adox
3rd May 2015, 11:39 PM
Don't know if 3.5 is good or not as the report suggests .. But US Box office looks good w/o Sunday @384. Lets see tomorrow how the weekend did in both Domestic and US markets.

Cinemarasigan
3rd May 2015, 11:45 PM
நானும் hubber புஷ்பக்-கும் முதல் நாள் முதல் காட்சி பார்க்க முடியாமல் போனது துரதிர்ஷ்டம்..

கமல் என்னும் நடிகருக்காக ரசிகர்கள் என்னவெல்லாம் செய்ய தயாராக இருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதை நேரடியாக பார்க்கும் வாய்ப்பு கிடைத்தது இந்த முறை.. :bow:

படத்தை பார்த்து முடிக்கும் போது தான் தோன்றியது- இந்த கலைஞனுக்கு இப்படிப்பட்ட வெறித்தனமான ரசிகர்கள் இருப்பதினால் தான் எந்த பிரச்சனையையும் சந்திக்க கமல் தயாராக இருக்கிறார்..... :bow:

Cinemarasigan
4th May 2015, 12:05 AM
As "Rajjaa" mentioned, it was record number of single screens booked for this movie in Bangalore. But all gone waste due to delay in releasing.

For sunday / today again the distributor booked so many additional screens to come out of the losses of the first 2 days... let us see how the reports come out... but somehow TN distributors did not take that much interest I think...

Cinemarasigan
4th May 2015, 12:07 AM
மனசை அரிக்கும் கேள்வி: எல்லா நடிகர்களும் செய்யற மாதிரி அதாவது மக்கள் சாதரணமாக ரசித்து சந்தோஷமாக பொழுது போக்கி விட்டு போகிற மாதிரி கதைகளை விட்டு இவர் மட்டும் எதற்கு வித்தியாசமான கதைகளை தான் படமா பண்ணனும்னு பிடிவாதமா இருக்கார்?
படத்தை பார்த்த பின் தூக்கம் வராம பண்றாருப்பா இந்தாளு........

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 01:11 AM
இன்னல்கள் ஏதேனும் விநியோகஸ்தர்கள், திரையரங்கு உரிமையாளர்களிடமிருந்து ஒருவேளை இப்படத்திற்கு வந்தால் பேச ஆரம்பிக்கலாம். இந்த ஒருவார வசூல், ரெண்டு வார வசூல், வாரயிறுதி வசூல், வார நாட்கள் வசூல்.. திரியில் கொஞ்ச நாளைக்கு இந்த பாக்ஸ் ஆபிஸ் தகவல்களை மூட்டைகட்டி வையுங்கள். அது முக்கியமல்ல இப்போதைக்கு. ஒரு மாதம் போகட்டும். படத்தைப் பற்றிய, கலைஞர்களைப் பற்றிய கருத்துக்களை பகிருங்கள். பிரபலங்கள், விமர்சகர்கள் என்ன சொல்கிறார்கள் எனப் பதியுங்கள்..அது போதும் இப்போதைக்கு.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 01:48 AM
Ramesh Arvind, Nassar and Gibran about Uthamavillan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1YShv1nhk

kumarsr
4th May 2015, 01:54 AM
மனசை அரிக்கும் கேள்வி: எல்லா நடிகர்களும் செய்யற மாதிரி அதாவது மக்கள் சாதரணமாக ரசித்து சந்தோஷமாக பொழுது போக்கி விட்டு போகிற மாதிரி கதைகளை விட்டு இவர் மட்டும் எதற்கு வித்தியாசமான கதைகளை தான் படமா பண்ணனும்னு பிடிவாதமா இருக்கார்?

That is why he needs our respect and admiration. He could have easily made another good vs bad movie with the usual fights etc. Such a movie, presented with some slight freshness in the treatment, will be a huge box office success. In fact it is easy actually. But he did not take that path.

He has said many times that he puts himself as a fan first before deciding which type of movies to make next. But he did not make UV just for the sake of making something different or just to prove a point. It is a heartfelt movie. That is why he says he dug deep into himself to come up with this story line. In fact, it will appeal to a global audience not just Indians. Just like Slumdog Millionaire showed a facet of India, this movie also can bring a different perspective to a global audience. Teyyam based story which is a contrast to the contemporary story of Manoranjan the actor, will be lapped up. He should consider it.

thamiz
4th May 2015, 02:22 AM
Video Review from Khashayam with Bosskey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKKVu_af-g&index=1&list=PL7601237C77F05135

thamiz
4th May 2015, 02:23 AM
This guys seems reasonable as he points out pros and cons as well unlike some Kamalahassan worshipers's one-sided boring reviews!

Karikalen
4th May 2015, 04:13 AM
This guys seems reasonable as he points out pros and cons as well unlike some Kamalahassan worshipers's one-sided boring reviews!

I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. In fact i found the 8th century portion thoroughly entertaining. It was brilliant. The humour was subtle and the timing perfect.The way the current and the past met at the end was simply superb. I have been hooked to UV's music for the past month. To watch the visuals with the music was fantastic.I am surprised at some of the reviews that are critical of the casting. I think KH has got the casting perfect. It was refreshing(for me at least) to watch Kamal the star in the modern portion and Kamal the actor in the 8th century portion.

Bosskeys reviews are not wrong. Athuvum oru karuthu to quote Kamal.

Missed the FDFS due to work commitments. Ended up watching it on screen over the weekend that was 75 % full mostly family audiences. Hence quite a few disturbances from babies crying. Got to watch it again next week to enjoy the journey.

Negative for me
I will have to look for this when i view it again.

nickraman
4th May 2015, 04:18 AM
Only negatives for me was Pooja Kumar. Trim pannina seri thaan irukam

cinema
4th May 2015, 06:10 AM
I could not agree more. That too when you say it, it has to be true. Because you are the most neutral person when analyzing Lingaa. Even I could not find anything wrong with that classic but you came up with most of the flaws and very rightly displayed all the box office report also. Hats off to you.

jaypeenattu
4th May 2015, 06:27 AM
I was partially right..It was Nagesh Krishnamoorthy who had dubbed in some portions it seems(not fully)...

jaypeenattu
4th May 2015, 06:32 AM
Kalllu vangaliyo kallu (pun intended here referring to TASMAC sales)..che idhellam oru pozhappa...did anyone notice that...

Mr.GreyShirt
4th May 2015, 06:33 AM
Just wow... Brilliant movie. This is one of those movies that makes me wish I have Tamil friends who I can talk and analyse movies with.

irir123
4th May 2015, 06:49 AM

Your question answers itself!

Every filmmaker ought to make films striving for excellence - thats how things work in most film industries - take Matthew McConaughey - from doing chick flicks mostly to someone who has consciously chosen to handle one terrific script after the other has landed him the most critically acclaimed star - same goes for Billy Bob Thornton and so many others in Hollywood..

Its a sorry state of affairs that our film industry is all about money and not creativity - the very fact that most in the hub are concerned more about the BO status and competition rather than the content of a given film says a lot...thats why we continue to make crappy film after film with punch dialogs and item songs with no strength in content...

You cant have a carpenter who doesn't love his work and make fine pieces of carpentry - likewise in every field...

For Kamal, cinema is not a profession - its his passion...

Am yet to see this due to work - will see sometime later this week...

thamiz
4th May 2015, 07:00 AM
I could not agree more. That too when you say it, it has to be true. Because you are the most neutral person when analyzing Lingaa. Even I could not find anything wrong with that classic but you came up with most of the flaws and very rightly displayed all the box office report also. Hats off to you.

I only said, Bosskey's review is reasonable. :-)

nickraman
4th May 2015, 07:39 AM
Those final scenes in the hospital are of pure irony. When Manoranjan is admitted to the hospital, KB promises to bring edited footage of Iraniya Nadagam to him when completed. In real life, KB was admitted to the hospital when Kamal was in final stages of completing the film itself (Sound mixing in LA.) At that time, there was news that KH wanted to fly back immediately, but KB insisted that UV work must be completed and not delayed further.

Sad but another premonition oversight in writing.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 08:18 AM

I liked very much the fun part of 8th century episodes . You may call it as a fan boyish view but I witnessed in theatre that many people laughed and clapped during those episodes.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 08:26 AM
I liked very much the fun part of 8th century episodes . You may call it as a fan boyish view but I witnessed in theatre that many people laughed and clapped during those episodes.

யோவ்! இது உனக்கே நல்லாயிருக்கா! என சிறார்களிடம் கற்களை விற்கும் மனிதனிடம் உத்தமன் கேட்கும் இடம் தியேட்டரே கைகொட்டி சிரித்தது. நிறையச் சொல்லலாம்.

படத்தை ஒப்பிடுகையில் பாஸ்கியின் விமர்சனம்தான் தொய்வு. அவருக்கு "நகைச்சுவை சரியா எடுபடல" என்ற விஷயத்தை தவிர வேற எதையும் பேசத் தெரியல.

avavh3
4th May 2015, 08:58 AM
tamizh..dont give up..for every ten positive reviews you will find one negative review. keep digging. all the best. but beware..kochadayaan, linga ஒப்பிடுகையில் இந்த thread ரொம்ப புளிக்கும்.

Mr.GreyShirt
4th May 2015, 09:07 AM
I don't agree with any of the cons Bossky said. Everyone in the theater was laughing during the comedy portion and these are folks living in Canada, so they clearly understood what it is being said. What is with too many dead bodies? :roll:

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 09:11 AM
I don't agree with any of the cons Bossky said. Everyone in the theater was laughing during the comedy portion and these are folks living in Canada, so they clearly understood what it is being said. What is with too many dead bodies? :roll: he is bending too much to say some negative with the plot and making such. Good try.

Arvind Srinivasan
4th May 2015, 09:13 AM

The 8th century sequences resembled a stage drama. This is more than apparent when one looks at the way it was structured - caricatures all around, the whole sequence was seen like it was on a set with changing backgrounds screens , the tone in which it was shot and the banal story with which it was made . Kamal the actor had his roots from theatre and this is probably his way of paying homage to it. It was a conscious decision from the part of the makers. I saw a good number of people both lapping it up and watching the sequences unfold repulsively. It blew hot and cold for me at my first viewing , but my subsequent viewings helped me connect the dots. There is a good amount of synergy between the two parts of the movie. It could have been more explicitly established but it certainly worked for me.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 09:14 AM
Saying senthamizh comedy won't work in movies.. Kamal would try such attempts and prove it is possible. People enjoying those episodes.

PG2010
4th May 2015, 09:24 AM
tamizh..dont give up..for every ten positive reviews you will find one negative review. Keep digging. All the best. But beware..kochadayaan, linga ஒப்பிடுகையில் இந்த thread ரொம்ப புளிக்கும்.

uv 👍👌👍

PG2010
4th May 2015, 09:26 AM
One more from Karthikeyan Devadoss-

'நான் கடவுள்' என்று அன்பே சிவத்தில் கூறியதை விட ஒரு படி மேல போய் The so called கடவுளுக்கும் மரணமுண்டு ஆனால் தன் கலையாலும் அறிவாலும் தான் ஒரு 'சாகாவரம்' பெற்ற கலைஞன் என்ற உண்மையை தைரியமாக சொல்லும் இந்த உத்தம வில்லன் கமலஹாசன் நிஜமாகவே மரணத்தை வென்றவன் தான்.

Bold & Brilliant script with lots of emotional performances. Its a treat for everyone who likes the artist & star Kamalhaasan and has everything you expect from a kamal movie.

Be it his anti-God stand or talking about his real lifestyle, kamalhaasan comes up with a bold & clear tone in this movie. Don't miss it.

Mrithyun jayaho ! Mrithyun jayaho !!

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 10:00 AM
Lot more nuances there to discuss. BTW. . How many of u observed that Uttaman character is the 4th level if u start sequencing it from kamalhaasan. Puriyuthaa ? ? I know its a confusing statement. But just think.

dell_gt
4th May 2015, 10:04 AM
http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2015/05/uttama-villain.html?m=1

dell_gt
4th May 2015, 10:05 AM
Must read..he is one of our hubber right?

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 10:22 AM
Excellent review from Mr complicator.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 10:26 AM
Lot more nuances there to discuss. BTW. . How many of u observed that Uttaman character is the 4th level if u start sequencing it from kamalhaasan. Puriyuthaa ? ? I know its a confusing statement. But just think.

Let me try Dr the sequences.

Kamalhassan
KB
Manoranjan
Uthaman

Right? Excellent point of view. Please bring more.

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 10:30 AM
If you notice the poem Kamal reads out about his Guru KB in the start of the movie.. he mentions the core values which going to be addressed within the movie.

A movie for meta. Period.

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 11:09 AM
Wrong venki

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 11:13 AM
Think of all the characters kamal plays in a sequence ...... u will find uttaman is level 4 excluding kamal. Now re think with this angle.

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 11:14 AM
And dont post if u find a spoiler in the answer.

dell_gt
4th May 2015, 11:21 AM
http://moviecitynews.com/2015/05/the-weekend-report-136/

dell_gt
4th May 2015, 11:22 AM
509K not to bad!

pushpak
4th May 2015, 12:06 PM
509K not to bad!

Good to hear it is not bad.
What would have been "Good?"
What would have been "Great"?

avavh3
4th May 2015, 12:21 PM
its already 'Good' as it has earned more than Gabbar!
only encouraging WOM can make it 'Great". so far kamal fans loved it.

Raajjaa
4th May 2015, 12:23 PM
I think total is 600k (cumulative).
Is it including Telugu?

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 12:30 PM
Clue for my question
KH ...... A .... M .... S .... U.

jaypeenattu
4th May 2015, 12:43 PM
Clue for my question

Is it some Avatar?

pushpak
4th May 2015, 01:09 PM
http://www.iluvcinema.in/tamil/uttama-villain-collections-kamal-starrer-1st-and-2nd-day-box-office-report/

Not bad considering the fact that many were confused about the release.

rashwin1979
4th May 2015, 01:22 PM
Is it some Avatar?

Ongi ulagalantha 'Uthaman'...dr?

Cinemarasigan
4th May 2015, 01:23 PM
Must read..he is one of our hubber right?

He was an active hubber till 2012 I think. He joined one of the leading press media group and not posting after that...

dell_gt
4th May 2015, 01:32 PM
Cool.. thanks for the info :)

Nasc
4th May 2015, 01:51 PM
Think of all the characters kamal plays in a sequence ...... u will find uttaman is level 4 excluding kamal. Now re think with this angle.

is it from the list of stills shown in the TV show...robo ,kocha (kinda still) ?

mappi
4th May 2015, 02:03 PM
https://scontent-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/s720x720/11168397_1004521062914549_493855945371451741_o.jpg

Chikatiloan
4th May 2015, 02:05 PM
Clue for my question

Kamalhaasan,Arumugam,Manoranjan,Senguttuvan,Uttama n

Chikatiloan
4th May 2015, 02:07 PM
Good to hear it is not bad.
What would have been "Good?"
What would have been "Great"?

Overseas rights is with raajkamal so there is no "idaitharagar" in between..whatever the collections its 70-30 to kamal and theater owners..so why to bother?

Anban
4th May 2015, 02:17 PM

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/rudhraiya-obituary-kamal-haasan-pays-homage-to-rudhraiya/article6615265.ece

Arumugam - yaaroda real name paatheengala ..

Chikatiloan
4th May 2015, 02:20 PM
Watched the movie and for me its good but not excellent..
1st half is very good,2nd half tiger scenes and scenes just before kaadhalam song sodhapified otherwise the great movie..
By the way what a performance by kamal as writer and acting in real life and as singer,theyyam performer in 18th century..
The scenes between Kamal-Jayaram,Kamal-Daughter,Kamal-Son,Kamal-KB,Kamal-Vishwanath were top class & everyone performed well
Kamal-oorvashi scenes in hospital is good but i dont like oorvashi acting.
Nasser,Gnasambantham performance is superb than kamal in some of 18th century portions..

Pooja kumar,18th century VFX were the sodhappals..

There are no trademark kamal dialogues like "veeramna ennanu theriyuma,unakulla thoongitura mirugam" becoz those cant be used in real life character..for real life actor the dialogues are very natural like in
Kamal-daughter scene : daughter says jayaram kaeta nalla pesunanu sollunga, for that kamal -adhaan unmai nee nalla thaana pesura..
Kamal-Oorvashi scene in hospital: First enakku pidikala,apram un charactera paathu pudikka aarmbhichatu ippa naan byangaramma love panran something like which is absolute natural feeling for the person who has many relationships in life..

Overall its feel good movie but not excellent or close to anbe sivam as of now for me..

PG2010
4th May 2015, 02:30 PM
One more

Kh - AR - Mn -Seng - Uth - Iraniyan

avavh3
4th May 2015, 02:43 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies/uttama-villain/uttama-villain-box-office-may-03.html

grand opening :yes:

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 03:15 PM
PG 2010 ...... thats fantastic. 6th level. Shit ..... just shows how great the script is.
Kamal Haasan acts as Arumugam who becomes Manoranjan who acts as Senguttuvan who disguises as Uthaman who plays Hiranya kashibu. Hats off.

Anban
4th May 2015, 03:17 PM
PG 2010 ...... thats fantastic. 6th level. Shit ..... just shows how great the script is.
Kamal Haasan acts as Arumugam who becomes Manoranjan who acts as Senguttuvan who disguises as Uthaman who plays Hiranya kashibu. Hats off.
parallely narasimman too for a flash and Arjunan in the koothu

Anban
4th May 2015, 03:18 PM
Pooja kumar was brilliant .. ennamaa jollikira .. Dubbing by Abirami was also great

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 03:44 PM
Hi All!

pushpak
4th May 2015, 03:50 PM
Hi All!

Tried to contact you how many times ! No response !
Hope everything is fine !

radiochandra1977
4th May 2015, 03:50 PM
Vaayyaa vaaa.

avavh3
4th May 2015, 03:51 PM
அண்ணே வணக்கம்.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 04:02 PM
உத்தம வில்லன் - உன்னத தலைவன்!

அனேகமாக, இந்தியாவிலேயே, ஒரு ஹீரோ அழுகை/சோக நடிப்பில் விசில் வாங்குவது இப்போதுதான் நான் பார்க்கிறேன்! Though, too much of it hinders the experience/mood... KH successfully sold his pathos acting to entire audience! Not even one single fan can escape from the effect!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 04:05 PM
உத்தம வில்லன் நிச்சயமாக கமலின் மற்றும் தமிழ் சினிமாவின் முக்கியமான படம்! படம் எதிர்பார்த்தது போலவே பல தளத்தில் நின்று விளையாடுகிறது!

குறியீடுகளுக்கு பஞ்சமே இல்லை! அவற்றை ரசிகன் கண்டுகொள்ளவில்லையென்றாலும் தவறில்லை தான். அவரவர் விருப்பம். சிங்கிள் கிஸ்கே பாடலுக்கு முன் காட்டப்படும் தியேட்டர் ஆடியன்ஸ் ஆரவாரம், இது 2013 விஜய் அவார்ட்சில் வெளியான டீசரிலும் இருந்தது. இது கடைசியிலும் வருகிறது ஆனால் அப்போது மட்டும், கருப்பு வெள்ளையில் வரும். ஆனால் திரை மட்டும் வண்ணத்தில்! மனோரஞ்சன் இறந்தபின் வரும் படம் என்பதால் ரசிகர் மனநிலையை இப்படி காட்டியிருக்கிறார்!

க்ளைமாக்ஸில், ஏதோ பெரியதாக மேஜிக், சாகசம், அற்புதம் செய்யப்போகிறார் என நினைத்தால் ஏமாந்துபோவீர்கள்(நான் நினைத்தேன்) ஆனால் பிறகு யோசித்தால் தான் புரிகிறது, படம் எங்கிலும் அப்படி ஏதும் நடக்கப்போவதற்கான அறிகுறிகள் ஏதும் தரப்படவில்லை. க்ளைமாக்ஸ் மிக யதார்த்தமாக, உணர்வுபூர்வமாக, அதேசமயம் தாக்கம் ஏற்படுத்துவதாக இருக்கிறது. கடைசி நொடி வரை, தான் விரும்பும் விஷயமான சினிமாவில் நடிப்பதைத்தான் செய்கிறார். ஷூட்டிங்க் ஸ்பாட்டிலிருந்து தான் மருத்துவமனைக்கு செல்கிறார். அப்போது, சில நொடிகள், காட்சிகள் அவரின் பார்வையில் காட்டப்படுவது மிக அருமை. ஒரு திரையில் ஏதோ ஒரு உருவம் மனோரஞ்சனின் கண்ணுக்கு மட்டும் தெரிவதாகவும் காட்டப்படுகிறது. கிட்டதட்ட சாவின் சோகத்தை நமக்கு ஏற்படுத்திவிடுகிறது. கிளைமாக்ஸ் நெருங்க நெருங்க, அவர் நிஜமாகவே சாகப்போகிறார் என்ற உணர்வை ஏற்படுத்தியதே கமலின் (வழக்கமான தான் என்றாலும்)வெற்றி. கட்டக்கடைசியில், ஆபரேஷன் படுக்கையில், வாயில் Mask வைத்ததும், பேசமுடியாது என்பதால் கண்களாலேயே ஆண்ட்ரியவுக்கு விடை சொல்வார்! உதடு குவித்து முத்தமும் தருவார்! #SlowClaps!!!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 04:09 PM
இளைய தலைமுறையை திரையில் காட்டுவதில் கமல் எப்போதுமே க்ளாஸ் தான்! சொல்லப்போனால் இவர் மாதிரி யாரும் செய்யமுடியாது என்கிற பட்டியலில் இதையும் சேர்க்கவேண்டும்! கமலின் மகன் மனோஹர், பாட்டியை ஏமாற்றி செல்ஃபோனை பிடுங்குவது, எம்.எஸ்.பாஸ்கரிடம் சொல்லும் "டுஷே!", இப்படி நிறைய!

இரண்யன் நாடகம் ஷூட்டிங் ப்ரேக்கில், கமல், தன் மகள் மகனோடு நேரம் செலவழிக்கும் காட்சி! அந்த காட்சியின் முடிவில், மகனின் தோழி அந்த அறையில் திடீரென வந்து, மனோன்மணியும் மனோஹரும் hug செய்வதை தவறாக புறிந்துகொள்ள, கமல் அதைப்பார்த்து சிரிக்க ஆரம்பிக்கும் மிகச்சரியான அதே நொடியில் மக்களும் சிரிக்க ஆரம்பிக்கின்றனர்! Whatte Sync!!

Karikalen
4th May 2015, 04:36 PM
Pooja kumar was brilliant .. ennamaa jollikira .. Dubbing by Abirami was also great
Exactly my thoughts. She has the late Srividya's eyes in my opinion.

Andrea's reactions in the last scene where she hugs both the children could have been better. Her face did not reveal enough emotions.

avavh3
4th May 2015, 04:43 PM
super sakala..good narration. shd have avoided spoilers (im yet to see)

Adox
4th May 2015, 04:50 PM

+1. Exactly my thoughts. She has essayed her role pretty nicely .. Wonder why a few didnt didnt appreciate it. She performed what is required of her ..

Adox
4th May 2015, 04:51 PM
Hi All!

Welcome back Mr. SV ..

wahajejatRurdy
4th May 2015, 04:59 PM
உத்தமவில்லனில் கமல் பேசியிருப்பது செட்டிநாடு தமிழா??

Cinemarasigan
4th May 2015, 05:12 PM
Hi All!

welcome back...

Kanna
4th May 2015, 05:32 PM
http://uttamavillaindissection.blogspot.in/

Connection between 8th Century and 21st Century portions. Theeya irukkanga

nickraman
4th May 2015, 06:05 PM
+1. Exactly my thoughts. She has essayed her role pretty nicely .. Wonder why a few didnt didnt appreciate it. She performed what is required of her ..
Proper A-lister pottaana, nariya reviewers aaaha ohho eehee nu paaratuvar. That is the life.

thamiz
4th May 2015, 06:24 PM
tamizh..dont give up..for every ten positive reviews you will find one negative review. keep digging. all the best. but beware..kochadayaan, linga ஒப்பிடுகையில் இந்த thread ரொம்ப புளிக்கும்.

Of course I will do my best. You guys carefully filter and bring only the "filtrate". I will bring the filter-cake for your attention! :lol:

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 06:25 PM

Connection between 8th Century and 21st Century portions. Theeya irukkanga

Excellent insights. Now with all the characters set for the movie, just think how Kamal went ahead and scripted the screen play and dialogues.

thamiz
4th May 2015, 06:27 PM
Rediff review says UV is good only for hard-core kamal fans!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 06:28 PM
venkki, though tats excellent effort, not all are assumed correct in that writeuup...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 06:44 PM
When Manoranjan opens news about his disease to KB, he gets shocked, cries, says that you are a chinna payyan, then he slowly walks towards the collage of fotos where he and mano/kamal were there, sees one by one, with wonder and happy memories of past! there, guru-sishya bgm is played! such a beautiful shot! that bgm is NOT pathos sad! Instead it kind of slowly brings back the glittering, surprising moments they both had in past! thus says the bgm! after that also KB doesnt cry, intead he instantly agrees to do a film and both goes to balcony to give a pose!!

And also when kamal's car driver cries, kamal tries to stop him driving the car. when bhasker cries too, kamal says it doesnt suit ur face!!! and says 'velai irukku' and moves on!!

So he kinda doesnt cry there. only places he kinda emotes more than cries, is where jayaram breaks the news that yamini is dead and reveals about manonmani!

So it clearly shows kamal has moved much much far away from the loud cry! ok, last he cried is UPO, but thats a silent one, then in dasa 12th century, he cries for short duration(and most ppl get the reason for it wrong!) and back then, in VV, he cries lying totally back, in the bed, near his dead wife in bed. we dont see his face much. b4 that in virumaandi, he cries loud and also harsh since he is a village guy, his character is like that. just thinking about various types of cries he gave! UV doesnt looks like any of the past ones!!

ramdas2005
4th May 2015, 07:02 PM
Nikkil Murugan ‏@onlynikil · 7h7 hours ago
Ulaganayagan's #UttamaVillain Goes Strong & Steady

Ramesh ‏@rameshlaus · 5h5 hours ago
#UttamaVillain Opens well in #Australia.. Weekend BO - $140,208 AUD.

ramdas2005
4th May 2015, 07:14 PM
http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2015/05/uttama-villain.html?m=1
Very nicely written and a good analysis (some of thought process that went into the script very nice).
Also read the comments-nice read.

Nasc
4th May 2015, 07:44 PM
^page is removed :(

Chikatiloan
4th May 2015, 07:51 PM
When Manoranjan opens news about his disease to KB, he gets shocked, cries, says that you are a chinna payyan, then he slowly walks towards the collage of fotos where he and mano/kamal were there, sees one by one, with wonder and happy memories of past! there, guru-sishya bgm is played! such a beautiful shot! that bgm is NOT pathos sad! Instead it kind of slowly brings back the glittering, surprising moments they both had in past! thus says the bgm! after that also KB doesnt cry, intead he instantly agrees to do a film and both goes to balcony to give a pose!!

And also when kamal's car driver cries, kamal tries to stop him driving the car. when bhasker cries too, kamal says it doesnt suit ur face!!! and says 'velai irukku' and moves on!!

So he kinda doesnt cry there. only places he kinda emotes more than cries, is where jayaram breaks the news that yamini is dead and reveals about manonmani!

So it clearly shows kamal has moved much much far away from the loud cry! ok, last he cried is UPO, but thats a silent one, then in dasa 12th century, he cries for short duration(and most ppl get the reason for it wrong!) and back then, in VV, he cries lying totally back, in the bed, near his dead wife in bed. we dont see his face much. b4 that in virumaandi, he cries loud and also harsh since he is a village guy, his character is like that. just thinking about various types of cries he gave! UV doesnt looks like any of the past ones!!

This is the wonderful point which i thought of mentioning but dont know how to describe,,well said saga..
UV doesnt looks like any of the past ones..great expression without tears in most places but it will make us cry..

ramdas2005
4th May 2015, 07:54 PM
^page is removed :(
You mean the link I put in, I am able to, anyway uploaded the contents in a document.

Adox
4th May 2015, 08:15 PM

Not only in the context of the movie but also real life 'KaNNikai', dedication and fond remembrance for KB sir from Kamal. He has mentioned several times that this movie is very much dedicated to KB to a large extent and KV to some extent.

Reg. loud crying .. He can emote equally or much better silently as well. Infact a lot of his silent emotions are far more stronger than his loud display of emotions imo.

pushpak
4th May 2015, 08:18 PM
This is the wonderful point which i thought of mentioning but dont know how to describe,,well said saga..
UV doesnt looks like any of the past ones..great expression without tears in most places but it will make us cry..

Sometimes I have felt "what an acting" seeing Kamal crying but I do not cry.
But here I could not appreciate the acting, but I cried.

Arvind Srinivasan
4th May 2015, 08:22 PM
Alright looks like the party's started in terms of dissecting the movie. Great start guys. The 5th level thing is actually so awesome to think of. Here's some more fodder to think from from my side as well. UV is essentially in core a story of fathers. Their actions move the story. It is Jacob Zachariah, a pseudo father's love towards his foster child that brings Manonmani to Manoranjan. It's PCR's love towards his love that causes all the damage in the first place. Its Margadarsi's fatherly love that sails him through the hard times. Lastly it's Manoranjan's failure as a father to both his children that propels him towards making amends with both of them. And the icing of the cake is Iraniyan. He's a father to prahladha. Ithu avan appanin kadha like how Uttaman puts it. And look how it ended.

Adox
4th May 2015, 08:24 PM
Proper A-lister pottaana, nariya reviewers aaaha ohho eehee nu paaratuvar. That is the life.

Yeah, a flamboyant actress performing with a top notch hero, Manoranjan in modern era and a disturbed princess in 8th century era .. What more can be asked of her ? She was pretty adequate ..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 08:31 PM

One great thing this blog is missing is the symmetry, the link btw the uttaman story and the real life. 1st time, in uttaman intro song, the snake bites his back and he dies. soon as that finishes, he meets manonmani for 1st time. there too, in the end of the scene, he falls down the same way and even he moves his body the same way, like kaakaa valippu!

then during interval, he is pushed into the lake, as shanmugarajan wants to test uttaman's immortality, he is saved by fish net(thats again put by Rajesh, the spy fella!) and then he comes out. after the scene ends, he goes alon wiping blood from his nose. there he sees another fisherman putting fish from the lake to his boat. they moves up and down, like any fish does when taken out from water. same way, manoranjan too was just taken out of water few minits b4, and he is also very close to death, like the fish!

Like wise there shud be a connection to him, with each time how the story-within-story ends. i somehow forgot the other portions, shud see the movie to find the entire connections

Arvind Srinivasan
4th May 2015, 08:44 PM

One great thing this blog is missing is the symmetry, the link btw the uttaman story and the real life. 1st time, in uttaman intro song, the snake bites his back and he dies. soon as that finishes, he meets manonmani for 1st time. there too, in the end of the scene, he falls down the same way and even he moves his body the same way, like kaakaa valippu!

then during interval, he is pushed into the lake, as shanmugarajan wants to test uttaman's immortality, he is saved by fish net(thats again put by Rajesh, the spy fella!) and then he comes out. after the scene ends, he goes alon wiping blood from his nose. there he sees another fisherman putting fish from the lake to his boat. they moves up and down, like any fish does when taken out from water. same way, manoranjan too was just taken out of water few minits b4, and he is also very close to death, like the fish!

Like wise there shud be a connection to him, with each time how the story-within-story ends. i somehow forgot the other portions, shud see the movie to find the entire connections

Firstly welcome back, Sakala. Absolutely agree with the above. Adding to this we had the Saagavaram song that came right after Urvasi faints. It looked more like a way to tell not only the king, but also to himself and the audience of the way life is and how death is just the beginning of life itself. Then you had the Kaadhalam song coming right after car scene with Kamal and Andrea. This extends till the start of the Iraniya Naadagam. The Iraniya Naadagam being Manoranjan's way of expunging his sins or his inability to act as a father.

Russellbba
4th May 2015, 09:33 PM
KB (Nagesh) sir in Uttama Villain:::

Margadarsi sir saying Long long ago so long ago, nobody can say how long ago. A dialog that connects KB sir and Nagesh sir (server sundaram).

Margadarsi sir calling poornachandra rao as Rao-ji.. I guess that's how KB sir used to call Nagesh sir (Gundu rao)

Srimannarayanan
4th May 2015, 09:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVLDI8C3SMU&feature=youtu.

Russellbba
4th May 2015, 09:36 PM
Veera Vilayattu poster has Director: Ramesh Sankar Music: Ghibran DOP: Shamdat

Adox
4th May 2015, 09:40 PM

Margadarsi sir saying Long long ago so long ago, nobody can say how long ago. A dialog that connects KB sir and Nagesh sir (server sundaram).

Margadarsi sir calling poornachandra rao as Rao-ji.. I guess that's how KB sir used to call Nagesh sir (Gundu rao)

Wow .. good connect to yesteryears.

Russellbba
4th May 2015, 09:44 PM
Second time done.. But still couldn't control tears when Manoranjan breaks out the news to Poornachandra rao by saying: Na romba naal irukamaten :(

In his own words... Uyira uruvi eduthiteenga Aandavaa :(

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 09:50 PM
சகல வருக வருக.

பட வெற்றிக்கான பார்ட்டியில் எல்லோரும் களித்துக்கொண்டிருக்க, கண்ணாடிக் கதவுக்கு வெளியெ அபர்ணா ஹிப் ஃபிளாஸ்கை வைத்துக்கொண்டு அழுது புலம்பும் காட்சியும், அதைதொடர்ந்து கமலும் வெளியே சென்று அபர்ணா மற்றும் சக டாக்டர் நண்பரோடு சேர்ந்து ஆறுதல் சொல்லிக்கொள்ளும் இடம் ஒரு கவிதை. கண்ணாடிக்கு உள்ளெ சொக்கு செட்டியாரின் பரிதவிப்பினால் வெறும் நகைச்சுவையாக மட்டுமே ரசிகர்களுக்கு சத்தமில்லா இக்காட்சி தெரிந்திருந்தாலும், உயிர்கொல்லி நோயின் தீவிரத்தை அபர்ணா உணர்ந்ததற்கு பிறகு வரும் காட்சி என உணரும் போதுதான் அவளின் துக்கம் புரியும்.

எவ்வளவு அழகான நேர்த்தியான திரைக்கதை, இயக்கம்!

:notworthy:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 09:51 PM
One of the Bestest Review!!

https://www.facebook.com/araathu.officialpage/posts/918775208181699

And its Best Portion!

படத்துக்குள் ஒரு படம் எடுக்கப்படுகிறது . அதையே ஒரு படத்தின் விமர்சனம் போல செய்யக்கூடாது smile emoticon அந்த அளவுக்கா நமக்கு நகைச்சுவை உணர்வு குறைந்து விட்டது ? படத்துக்குள் எடுக்கப்படும் படமும் தரமான தனியான படமாக இருக்க வேண்டும் என எதிர்பார்க்கலாகாது.அதை தனியான படமாக பார்ப்பதே தவறு. ஆனால் அந்த படத்துக்குள் படத்தில் கமல் ஒரு அசகாய சூர வேலை செய்து இருக்கிறார். உத்தமனாக அவர் நடிப்பில் காட்டும் நடிப்பு இதுவரை கமல் செய்யாதது. 1960 களில் எடுக்கப்பட்ட படங்களில் நடித்த காமடியன்களோ , அப்பாவி கேரக்டர்களோ சீரியஸாக நடித்ததை , காமடியாக நடித்து இருக்கிறார். அந்த முக பாவனைகளை ரசிக்க எதுவும் வேண்டாம் , நீங்கள் சாதாரண சினிமா ரசிகராக இருந்தாலே போதும். என்ன செய்வது ? இப்போதுதான் யாரும் அப்படி இல்லையே!

nickraman
4th May 2015, 10:06 PM
Second time done.. But still couldn't control tears when Manoranjan breaks out the news to Poornachandra rao by saying: Na romba naal irukamaten :(

In his own words... Uyira uruvi eduthiteenga Aandavaa :(
I nearly broke down hearing that dialogue next to scene playing catch with his son. The fanboy in me was destroyed slightly. Reality sucks at a time when releasing a Kamal film takes patience & problems to overcome. Evalo naal irrukuvar? 😢

venkkiram
4th May 2015, 10:14 PM
நடிகரின் படம் என வருகையில் திருவிழா கோலம் பூணுவது போன்ற உணர்வை தொடர்ந்து ஏற்படுத்துவது மையத்தில் கமல் பட திரிகளில்தான். நான் எனது மைய அனுபவத்தில் வாசிக்கக் கிடைக்காத ஒன்று. படைப்பை எப்படியெல்லாம் ரசிக்கலாம், ரசிக்கணும் என்பதற்கு கமல் திரிகளில் நிறைய தகவல்கள் பாதிக்கப்படுவதை காணலாம். புதிர்களுக்கான விடைகளை கண்டறியும் குழந்தையின் ஆனந்தத்தை ஒத்தது படைப்பில் மறைந்திருக்கும் பலவித உருவகங்களை கண்டு, கேட்டு, உணர்ந்து சிலாகிப்பது. மனதளவில் உச்சம் தொடும் இடங்கள் அவை.

ramdas2005
4th May 2015, 10:22 PM
நடிகரின் படம் என வருகையில் திருவிழா கோலம் பூணுவது போன்ற உணர்வை தொடர்ந்து ஏற்படுத்துவது மையத்தில் கமல் பட திரிகளில்தான். நான் எனது மைய அனுபவத்தில் வாசிக்கக் கிடைக்காத ஒன்று. படைப்பை எப்படியெல்லாம் ரசிக்கலாம், ரசிக்கணும் என்பதற்கு கமல் திரிகளில் நிறைய தகவல்கள் பாதிக்கப்படுவதை காணலாம். புதிர்களுக்கான விடைகளை கண்டறியும் குழந்தையின் ஆனந்தத்தை ஒத்தது படைப்பில் மறைந்திருக்கும் பலவித உருவகங்களை கண்டு, கேட்டு, உணர்ந்து சிலாகிப்பது. மனதளவில் உச்சம் தொடும் இடங்கள் அவை.
Interesting take on the movie within movie. BTW @sakala @anban @doctor how is the movie faring at the BO, how is the reach among gen audience.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2015, 10:36 PM
BO is not much of nearing any records of sorts but is very well holding. Mostly Houseful shows everywhere! and family audience are enjoying!

Srimannarayanan
4th May 2015, 11:13 PM
BO is not much of nearing any records of sorts but is very well holding. Mostly Houseful shows everywhere! and family audience are enjoying!

It is going to be a superhit though it will not break any records.

ufktrfKnicity
4th May 2015, 11:38 PM
as long as it is profitable shouldn't be a problem. wish AS had the same kind of response. is it holding well in B & C also ?

Adox
4th May 2015, 11:45 PM
as long as it is profitable shouldn't be a problem. wish AS had the same kind of response. is it holding well in B & C also ?

Super-hit little difficult. Will celebrate if it gets to hit or goes past the above average category ... B/C appeal questionable.

cinema
4th May 2015, 11:50 PM
Here is another beautiful analysis. How many so called professional viewers dissected the 8th century portion like this. IMO 8th century has unbelievably strong link to the present day portion.

Disclaimer: Kamal once told me (and an audience of about 300 other folks) that writing is a muscle and that it needs to be exercised. A cursory glance at the date of the last post will indicate that I’ve ignored my fitness regimen. So I apologize in advance for any upcoming incoherence and inconsistency. There will be spoilers as it will be impossible for me to talk about the film without giving away key plot elements.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Here is a pastiche of thoughts on what stood out for me in UV.

Mortality
It’s an idea that hangs so heavy in the air that most of us deal with it through procrastination, trivialization or denial. We all continue to seek that additional opportunity to balance that ledger book of life that shall forever remain unbalanced. The moving finger writes and having writ always believes that it can write some more. But what happens when the finger is asked to come to terms with its own eventual stillness? Will it change what it writes? Uttama Villain ponders such a heavy question that is likely to lose a majority of us still predisposed to the concerns of our mercenary lives. But it is the unique prerogative of an artist to reflect on his own mortality and if possible hold up a mirror (chuckle) to ours.

Legacy
The film starts the artist’s chief concern – a uniquely excusable form of selfishness that sees Manoranjan, an ageing, formulaic star wanting to be remembered not as he is but as he once was. The fact that Manoranjan is played by Kamal allows us to quite easily create our own list of artistic versus commercial successes for Manoranjan. This isn’t simply a Kamal-for-Mano replacement; he is essentially a stand in for Rajini, Mammootty, Mohanlal, Chiranjeevi, Amitabh... ad nauseum. KB takes what many will consider his own spot in the parallel universe but it is interesting to see K.Viswanath cast as the S.P.Muthuraman or Prakash Mehra equivalent.
The art versus commerce dialectic is an often belabored conversation, especially when it comes to Kamal. But the writing in Uthama Villain expands on this in a rather interesting manner. Manohar and Manonmani are clearly stand-ins for the types of audience one begets from the different types of artistic marriages. Marry Yamini (art for art’s sake) and beget a beautiful bob haired beauty who speaks with slight Malayalam accent. Marry a once-attractive-now-corpulent Varalakshmi (the pure commercial) and beget a somewhat mediocre and distant son. Obviously Manonmani has a strained relationship with Manoranjan, but it is interesting to note Manohar’s own shame and resolve to ‘learn scriptwriting’. That to me clearly indicates that Kamal highlighting the artists’ job in cultivating audience taste.

Privacy
The art versus commerce quickly raises the question of the other dichotomy for an actor – the confluence of an intensely internal process and a machine that continuously erodes privacy. Manoranjan is not in full control of the machine that creates and sustains his celebrity, it is partly in the control of his father-in-law and partly outsourced to Chokku Chetty (M.S.Basker who is as enjoyable on screen as ever) who proves a little unworthy of the trust bestowed upon him. (Digression: Chokku Chetty is a great character by the way – a man whose moral center seems misguided entirely because he comes from a vastly different universe than his employer. He continues to break his employer’s confidence each time with the best intentions – an unwitting Naradar of sorts who makes the film possible.)
And then there are the throwaway dialogs within the film that just continue to reiterate the irony – Manohar’s girlfriend complaining about lack of privacy just as he sees his dad and Arpana together, Chokku Chetty’s “AthukkuthAnE irukku” in reference to the curtain, the callousness of a bystander screaming “Thalaivaa award confirm” as he and his son are tearing up in each other’s arms (a nod to the “if you make your audience cry an award is guaranteed sentiment”).

The film within the film
The stilted performances from Kamal’s last two films are most apparent in the Uttama Villain within the film. But there are a few conscious choices that make the idea interesting; eschewing a film on ‘Adi Sankara’ to make a ‘less commercial’ movie, a king who masquerading as an artist rather than use his army to liberate a neighboring kingdom and the entire IraNiyan play at the end totally worked for me. And considering the number of dualities he tackles in the movie it is especially ironic that he eschews a movie on the man who propounded Advaitam. And Nasser, continually willing to reinvent himself on screen, is quite fantastic. It's hard to believe that the same guy once played Mayan and Badri, until one is reminded of Basha from Avvai Shanmughi.

I will say the film hasn’t come together seamlessly (for me internally) like Kamal’s best fare has in the past, but it’s definitely the most he has given us to mull over in the recent few years and I for one am extremely thankful.

http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2015/05/uttama-villain.html

cinema
5th May 2015, 12:37 AM
Just going back to past. It was Gunaa, where it started people complaining about Kamal movies being tough to understand and the trend still continues. This is where Kamal differentiated himself from other mundane movie makers and distanced himself further from others after Uttama Villain.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th May 2015, 01:15 AM
சகல வருக வருக.

பட வெற்றிக்கான பார்ட்டியில் எல்லோரும் களித்துக்கொண்டிருக்க, கண்ணாடிக் கதவுக்கு வெளியெ அபர்ணா ஹிப் ஃபிளாஸ்கை வைத்துக்கொண்டு அழுது புலம்பும் காட்சியும், அதைதொடர்ந்து கமலும் வெளியே சென்று அபர்ணா மற்றும் சக டாக்டர் நண்பரோடு சேர்ந்து ஆறுதல் சொல்லிக்கொள்ளும் இடம் ஒரு கவிதை. கண்ணாடிக்கு உள்ளெ சொக்கு செட்டியாரின் பரிதவிப்பினால் வெறும் நகைச்சுவையாக மட்டுமே ரசிகர்களுக்கு சத்தமில்லா இக்காட்சி தெரிந்திருந்தாலும், உயிர்கொல்லி நோயின் தீவிரத்தை அபர்ணா உணர்ந்ததற்கு பிறகு வரும் காட்சி என உணரும் போதுதான் அவளின் துக்கம் புரியும்.

எவ்வளவு அழகான நேர்த்தியான திரைக்கதை, இயக்கம்!

:notworthy:

அருமை! ஒரு சின்ன திருத்தம், நான் 2முறை பார்த்தவரை, கமல் அவராக கட்டிபிடிக்கமாட்டார்! ஆனால் அர்ப்பணா தான் மனோவையும் டாக்ட்ரையும் சேர்த்து கட்டுப்பிடித்து அழுது மூவராவார்! Perfectly alright, after we understood the situation! another master-class scene and also the ONLY place where ArpaNa emotes high, in the whle film!

Karikalen
5th May 2015, 03:49 AM

Looks like 13.8 crore worldwide for the opening weekend.
Fridays loss within India was damaging. UV needs a good run. I sincerely hope it does.

Shruti's film with AK has taken 40 crore over the weekend.

madhus369
5th May 2015, 06:07 AM
Looks like 13.8 crore worldwide for the opening weekend.
Fridays loss within India was damaging. UV needs a good run. I sincerely hope it does.

Shruti's film with AK has taken 40 crore over the weekend.

It's a travesty that language and reach makes a much inferior movie collect so much more.

nickraman
5th May 2015, 06:59 AM
It's a travesty that language and reach makes a much inferior movie collect so much more.

I will be happy if the movie reaches breakeven or even hit status. Knowing the subject is complicated beyond what was seen from the promos (8th Century portions + drama subject mix may not be a feast for everyone = extreme reactions both good or bad), it's a feat that it managed 13.5 C that too in limited prints worldwide (due to Avengers 2 States side release.) Hindi will naturally have a reach and make more money because A) After Telugu, Hindi people are second in population and then Tamils are next. B) Ticket prices overseas for Hindi films are cheaper and affordable than Tamil films. During festive season releases (i.e Diwali, Pongal) for big star releases, tickets are up to 20-25 USD (i.e Lingaa, Enthiran in opening weekend.) I hope the people behind PrimeMediaUS (who distributed UV in North America) did NOT take a gamble like they did for Lingaa and were reasonable after OK Kanmani success.

As long as Lingu bhai does not bad mouth Nammavar at a later stage (even before Ore Iravu nears release time.)

irir123
5th May 2015, 08:12 AM
Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

And now UV has been released in Cinemark and Carmike cinemas and tickets are priced the same as before - $15 - while regular Hollywood films are $10 per ticket in the same multiplexes..

why this greed on the part of Indian/Tamil film distributors?

if being charged $15, then damn it release it in AMC/ Regal cinemas massively throughout..

Ridiculous...

Cinemarasigan
5th May 2015, 10:06 AM

Nice Observations :)

Cinemarasigan
5th May 2015, 10:10 AM
Alright looks like the party's started in terms of dissecting the movie. Great start guys. The 5th level thing is actually so awesome to think of. Here's some more fodder to think from from my side as well. UV is essentially in core a story of fathers. Their actions move the story. It is Jacob Zachariah, a pseudo father's love towards his foster child that brings Manonmani to Manoranjan. It's PCR's love towards his love that causes all the damage in the first place. Its Margadarsi's fatherly love that sails him through the hard times. Lastly it's Manoranjan's failure as a father to both his children that propels him towards making amends with both of them. And the icing of the cake is Iraniyan. He's a father to prahladha. Ithu avan appanin kadha like how Uttaman puts it. And look how it ended.

The thinking of the writer changes according to the situation he is in... Being a father of 2 children in real life and the people he associated with in real life made him to write story & screenplay like this.. The acting was also so natural for this role...

suivipa
5th May 2015, 10:20 AM
I am with you on the pricing strategy adopted by these greedy exhibitors.

It is like within the first 3 to 5 days , they want to break even and move on getting another movie . I don't see large scale advertising or promotions like they do in Canada for Tamil films. The linguistic demography is spread across Edison NJ, Dallas /Houston TX, Atlanta , LA, San Jose / santa clara , Chicago and Boston MA. so having screenings in other centers is only convenience and not going to greatly increase the revenue. I have been following the trend since 2004

I read that the screening this time for UV was going to happen in about 100 locations and screens all of the US for the first week with exceptions of "No Thursday shows" in some cities . well that is understandable given the fact it is a week day. My argument is do we assume that Prime media USA would have paid a million USD upfront for the NA rights and going by the minimum 20 screenings ( 2 weeks /weekends) in all of the 100 locations and so would want to recover all the money in two weeks time? Even if it were 70/30 sharing basis as someone pointed in the hub, did they pay 400K to start with? some numbers don't really find a place in the economics of distribution ?

I know of a colleague (telugu speaking) who exhibited several telugu movies prior to 2010 and he made money in few BB movies of Balakrishna , venkatesh and Chiru movies and also had a deep cut with two subsequent movies in late 2010 and his partnership broke apart and he took several years to recoup this deficit.

Here in Atlanta , many Indian grocery stores have Hindi movies banner or posters ahead of its release, WOM is easy with all the Hindi music channels showing trailers thru out the day and for several weeks .

The Irony is when I went to the premier show last Thursday at Aakash Cinemas (previously Navrang Theaters) , they had no clue if at all the Pin will arrive before 4.30 pm for a 5.00 pm show. Posters were not there . kanchana and OKK posters were there. The office manager was checking his email periodically if the PIN was generated and sent to his Inbox. Another second in line was answering the phone calls received not sure if the movie goers can actually make online ticketing or for that matter if they should actually come to the theaters for the second and third show planned for that day.

I missed all the gala and fun with the FDFS crowd and we were only 4 of us who whistled at the start and that's it. we were about 30 odd watching in a 245 seater hall.

It is a sad state of affairs for Tamil movies

exhibitors and distribution mechanism has to change in the near the future.........

[

QUOTE=irir123;1223755]Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

And now UV has been released in Cinemark and Carmike cinemas and tickets are priced the same as before - $15 - while regular Hollywood films are $10 per ticket in the same multiplexes..

if being charged $15, then damn it release it in AMC/ Regal cinemas massively throughout..

Ridiculous...[/QUOTE]

tifosi
5th May 2015, 10:41 AM
அருமை! ஒரு சின்ன திருத்தம், நான் 2முறை பார்த்தவரை, கமல் அவராக கட்டிபிடிக்கமாட்டார்! ஆனால் அர்ப்பணா தான் மனோவையும் டாக்ட்ரையும் சேர்த்து கட்டுப்பிடித்து அழுது மூவராவார்! Perfectly alright, after we understood the situation! another master-class scene and also the ONLY place where ArpaNa emotes high, in the whle film!

she emotes high because she's drunk.

Arvind Srinivasan
5th May 2015, 10:41 AM
I am with you on the pricing strategy adopted by these greedy exhibitors.

It is like within the first 3 to 5 days , they want to break even and move on getting another movie . I don't see large scale advertising or promotions like they do in Canada for Tamil films. The linguistic demography is spread across Edison NJ, Dallas /Houston TX, Atlanta , LA, San Jose / santa clara , Chicago and Boston MA. so having screenings in other centers is only convenience and not going to greatly increase the revenue. I have been following the trend since 2004

I read that the screening this time for UV was going to happen in about 100 locations and screens all of the US for the first week with exceptions of "No Thursday shows" in some cities . well that is understandable given the fact it is a week day. My argument is do we assume that Prime media USA would have paid a million USD upfront for the NA rights and going by the minimum 20 screenings ( 2 weeks /weekends) in all of the 100 locations and so would want to recover all the money in two weeks time? Even if it were 70/30 sharing basis as someone pointed in the hub, did they pay 400K to start with? some numbers don't really find a place in the economics of distribution ?

I know of a colleague (telugu speaking) who exhibited several telugu movies prior to 2010 and he made money in few BB movies of Balakrishna , venkatesh and Chiru movies and also had a deep cut with two subsequent movies in late 2010 and his partnership broke apart and he took several years to recoup this deficit.

Here in Atlanta , many Indian grocery stores have Hindi movies banner or posters ahead of its release, WOM is easy with all the Hindi music channels showing trailers thru out the day and for several weeks .

The Irony is when I went to the premier show last Thursday at Aakash Cinemas (previously Navrang Theaters) , they had no clue if at all the Pin will arrive before 4.30 pm for a 5.00 pm show. Posters were not there . kanchana and OKK posters were there. The office manager was checking his email periodically if the PIN was generated and sent to his Inbox. Another second in line was answering the phone calls received not sure if the movie goers can actually make online ticketing or for that matter if they should actually come to the theaters for the second and third show planned for that day.

I missed all the gala and fun with the FDFS crowd and we were only 4 of us who whistled at the start and that's it. we were about 30 odd watching in a 245 seater hall.

It is a sad state of affairs for Tamil movies

exhibitors and distribution mechanism has to change in the near the future.........

[

QUOTE=irir123;1223755]Dasa and other big tamil films were priced at $15 per ticket - that too in theaters that probably qualify to be indoor dog parks - what the heck?

Ridiculous...[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons why they aren't releasing in AMCs is that they don't get a good share as distributors. This question was asked in their twitter handle and this was their response. Its difficult to find fault with these guys since they would also need to get some profit. I am happy they are at least releasing without much complaints. I would take these guys any day to the money hungry distributors who arm twist the actor into compensating if a movie doesn't run well.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th May 2015, 11:33 AM
she emotes high because she's drunk.

she drinks, at 1st place, and emotes high becos she came to know the worst news...

And one more thing, kamal getting to know this info from andrea, is not shown. straightly they both goes to KB. we only see manoranjan being told of his daughter and yamini. there we see his geeat emotions but not when he is told about his disease. just to say that there are not that much patos scene as some ppl trying to project.

totally another thing, even though kamal plays manoranjan and kb plays maradharisi, when KB gazes over the fotos of kamal(mano) after knwoinghisdisease, its actually kamals fotos only and not manoranjans. u can see even little kid shruti foto there! so in a way is biopic too!

Russellbba
5th May 2015, 05:15 PM
KamalHaasar-um Karagoshamum

UttamaVillain - (ManoVasiyam): Oru kalaignan-ku adutha kai thattalgal epa varum nu theriyadhu.

Salaangai Oli / Sagara Sangamam: Naadhavinodhangal song - As a gifted dancer waiting for an opportunity, he dreams about the audience applause, and further. We all know the rest - (No End for Art)

Nammavar: Edhileyum Vallavanda song - closing lines: Kaithattum Ungalin Karagosham ondru dhan Kalaignargal engalukku nalla sanmanam !!

Kalaignan - Kalaignan Kattukaval Song after munnam oru naal (pathos bit) - Oru kalaignanin unmayana oodhiyam indha karagoshangal dhan.. So, Neraiya oodhiyam kudunga (wipes off his tears with his coats)

There are many more instances.

venkkiram
5th May 2015, 05:49 PM
That's a good analysis Gounder_Strike.

Cinemarasigan
5th May 2015, 06:24 PM
KamalHaasar-um Karagoshamum

UttamaVillain - (ManoVasiyam): Oru kalaignan-ku adutha kai thattalgal epa varum nu theriyadhu.

Salaangai Oli / Sagara Sangamam: Naadhavinodhangal song - As a gifted dancer waiting for an opportunity, he dreams about the audience applause, and further. We all know the rest - (No End for Art)

Nammavar: Edhileyum Vallavanda song - closing lines: Kaithattum Ungalin Karagosham ondru dhan Kalaignargal engalukku nalla sanmanam !!

Kalaignan - Kalaignan Kattukaval Song after munnam oru naal (pathos bit) - Oru kalaignanin unmayana oodhiyam indha karagoshangal dhan.. So, Neraiya oodhiyam kudunga (wipes off his tears with his coats)

There are many more instances.

Kalakkureenga Goundar_strike Sir...

avavh3
5th May 2015, 09:41 PM
+ reviews pour in:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/uttama-villain-review-kamal-haasans-film-offering-several-memorable-moments-is-a-must-watch/543434-71-180.html

http://movies.ndtv.com/movie-reviews/uttama-villain-movie-review-1123

:thumbsup:

nickraman
5th May 2015, 10:25 PM
Reviews ellam seri. Profits eppadi?

Srimannarayanan
5th May 2015, 10:42 PM
Reviews ellam seri. Profits eppadi?

Please dont post anything negative about BO until this weekend. Movies runs well. All the evenings shows are getting full in major multiplexes. We have to decide the fate based on coming weekend.

Until then, we will wait

pushpak
5th May 2015, 10:56 PM
Please dont post anything negative about BO until this weekend. Movies runs well. All the evenings shows are getting full in major multiplexes. We have to decide the fate based on coming weekend.

Until then, we will wait

check PM.

Saai
5th May 2015, 11:37 PM
check PM.

if related to movie, plz send :)

Adox
5th May 2015, 11:44 PM
Venki Sir, Please bear with me .. will take updates to box office thread :)

US Box Office looks pretty good .. will cross 1/2 million mark in next coming days ..

In the US, the Tamil movie has raked in ₹2.96 crore ($465,382). "Uttama Villain" was released on 98 screens and it has been received well by the Tamil audience in the opening weekend. Its Telugu version earned ₹26.28 lakh ($41,289).

ufktrfKnicity
5th May 2015, 11:45 PM
another good one.
http://www.sify.com/mobile/movies/uttama-villain-the-battle-between-fantasy-and-harsh-reality-news-tamil-pffsFGidcjdjg.html

venkkiram
5th May 2015, 11:51 PM
if related to movie, plz send :)
பொதுவா சொல்லிக்கிறேன்.. தனிமடல் என்றால் எனக்கும் அனுப்பிவிடுங்கள். கேட்டு வாங்குவது எனக்குப் பிடிக்காது! :)

venkkiram
5th May 2015, 11:53 PM
another good one.
http://www.sify.com/mobile/movies/uttama-villain-the-battle-between-fantasy-and-harsh-reality-news-tamil-pffsFGidcjdjg.html

One of the comments from that page:

If you notice very carefully, the Cheran Senguttavan’s spy character is the one that fishes Uttaman out of the water, the fisherman who pulls Uttaman out.

ஐயோ! ராமா ! படத்தை இப்போதே நான் ரெண்டாவது முறை பார்க்கணுமே!

ufktrfKnicity
5th May 2015, 11:58 PM
+ reviews pour in:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/uttama-villain-review-kamal-haasans-film-offering-several-memorable-moments-is-a-must-watch/543434-71-180.html

http://movies.ndtv.com/movie-reviews/uttama-villain-movie-review-1123

:thumbsup:

ndtv review

""Call it irony, but it reminded me of the time when Mr Balachander was on his hospital bed and speaking to Kamal Haasan, who was busy with the post-production work of the movie in Los Angeles. When Kamal Haasan had asked Mr Balachander if he wanted him to come visit him, he was told not to return without completing pending work. Kamal Haasan didn't get a chance to bid adieu to Balachander; and in the movie Margadarshi doesn't get a chance to bid adieu to Manoranjan.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th May 2015, 12:10 AM
Venki Sir, Please bear with me .. will take updates to box office thread :)

US Box Office looks pretty good .. will cross 1/2 million mark in next coming days ..

In the US, the Tamil movie has raked in ₹2.96 crore ($465,382). "Uttama Villain" was released on 98 screens and it has been received well by the Tamil audience in the opening weekend. Its Telugu version earned ₹26.28 lakh ($41,289).

read somewhere that thursday preiew is $81K so it already wud have well crossed half million

thamiz
6th May 2015, 12:32 AM
I think we should never talk about BO performance when it comes to Kamal movies. That would be very silly. Sakala should change his signature as soon as possible. Otherwise that will misguide people to talk about BO performance of UV which does not seem that great. I would blame sakla if anybody talks about BO performance of KH movies anymore! :)

Srimannarayanan
6th May 2015, 12:39 AM
http://pipinghotviews.com/perspectives/the-rajinikanth-connection-in-uttama-villain/

The Rajinikanth Connection in Uttama Villain

Saai
6th May 2015, 01:05 AM
I think we should never talk about BO performance when it comes to Kamal movies. That would be very silly. Sakala should change his signature as soon as possible. Otherwise that will misguide people to talk about BO performance of UV which does not seem that great. I would blame sakla if anybody talks about BO performance of KH movies anymore! :)

whats the relevance of this post?

thamiz
6th May 2015, 01:08 AM
whats the relevance of this post?

You need to figure it out. I cant spell out everything for you!

ramdas2005
6th May 2015, 01:13 AM
Prashanth ‏@itisprashanth · 8h8 hours ago
#uttamavillain - collections steady, positive reports from A and B center screens.

Saai
6th May 2015, 01:14 AM
You need to figure it out. I cant spell out everything for you!

thats not a question to you! A rhetoric question - doesn't expect answer! It just meant it was a irrelevant post...you need everyone to spell it out it seems

Chikatiloan
6th May 2015, 08:02 AM
Movie produced for 50 crores,sold for 100 Crores with multiple links ,collected 80 crores from N screens..
Movie produced for 10 crores sold for 20 crores with single link,collected 30 crores from N/5 screens..
From the above which is BO victory..

Producing the movie with very high budget is going to be self suicide for producers now in TN industry..from sivaji to VR the movie with high budget will be released in record number of theaters and opening will be huge,also it will run well if movie is good for next 30 days freely with no movie releasing in between so the collection is very huge for sivaji,10A,enthiran,VR..

But now whatever the budget is for the movie and whoever the star is the movie is releasing in maximum number of theaters which makes very difficult for movies to make huge huge collection..1st 3 days collection is very important and maximum how much you can expect..12-15C/day so its between 35-45 Crore..Next Friday another movie will be released and will hold maximum screens irrespective of star..so 100C collection is very difficult..
If the movie budget is 5 C+25C salary=30 C then also you will get the same 1st 3 day collection nowadays..so why to go for big budget?

So many movies released this year but only Kanchana,OKK termed as Block buster..did you think OKK collected 100C..no it collected not even 25C but since its made at budget of 6C its marked a Blockbuster/superhit.."I","Yennai arindhaal","Anegan","Komban" were "loss" to "no profit no loss" movies..

For UV from pillaivaal reports its sold for 55 C in india and at the time of release some fiasco happened with studio green agreed to distribute,so at the end for what price it has been sold is unknown..definitely it will be sold for lesser price than 55C and with 1st 11/2 days collection lost which cant be recovered..
Apart from rest 11/2 days the movie is not doing great and at the same time its not doing bad either...coming week-end is crucial to atleast be in "no profit no loss"..

Overall its not about collection its about profit percentage..

Chikatiloan
6th May 2015, 11:51 AM
Despite mixed reviews and BO numbers one thing Kamal has done bravely in Uttama Villain is he digged his own life and shown grey shades of the actor thereby slapped the people who were consitently creating problems to his movies stating "hurting religious sentiments,blah,blah"..

PG2010
6th May 2015, 12:03 PM
From blogger Yuva's view
UV nearly kamal's Autobiography.

Yamini-Sri vidyaa
Varalakshmi- Vani
Arpana - Gowthmi

Interesting.

Nasc
6th May 2015, 12:35 PM
From blogger Yuva's view
UV nearly kamal's Autobiography.

Yamini-Sri vidyaa
Varalakshmi- Vani
Arpana - Gowthmi

Interesting.

intha logic la oru periya large size OOottai irukey....

mother of his kids....

Kanna
6th May 2015, 12:44 PM
^ Not sure, where does Sarika fit in

Chikatiloan
6th May 2015, 12:45 PM
intha logic la oru periya large size OOottai irukey....

mother of his kids....

Idhae maadhri black hole analysis'a thooki podunga boss..
What everyone can sense is in screenplay there is connectivity between real life and movie portions..like fish scene before interval,scenes leading to saagavaram song..only this i can remember but there r few other connections as well...

balaajee
6th May 2015, 01:05 PM
^ Not sure, where does Sarika fit in

To know that we need a prequel of UV...

Nasc
6th May 2015, 02:42 PM
Idhae maadhri black hole analysis'a thooki podunga boss..
:roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 02:47 PM
Seen the film, it was too lengthy, I found those drama stuff with Kamal and Naseer were too tedious, but Pooja kumar keeps you awake throughout :lol2: , I found the "Brain tumour issue" to be the "Old wine in a new bottle " stuff, despite these , Kamal's performance with regards to Yamini, his daughter and son were splendid, especially the emotional scenes :clap:

Kamal does indeed has a good sense when it comes to heroine selection :thumbsup:

Hope to see more of the that in Viswa 2 !

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 02:58 PM
Could have given more footage to Pooja Kumar ! :x

Chikatiloan
6th May 2015, 03:33 PM
Could have given more footage to Pooja Kumar ! :x

:idontgetit: For me pooja and VFX were the negatives in drama stuff..ya perception differs..

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 03:40 PM
:idontgetit: For me pooja and VFX were the negatives in drama stuff..ya perception differs..

She is a "Real Eye Candy" dude :p

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 04:25 PM
She is a "Real Eye Candy" dude :p

She is a Real Eye Candy while Kamal ...?
Mind Candy?

(just like he asks "Villain?" to Parvathi)

NOV
6th May 2015, 04:25 PM
https://scontent-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11165314_10153283903762629_1984247482720467973_n.j pg?oh=0ee46db79d824a997504a53ab1f5d4ba&oe=55DBE488

Watching the movie was an exhilarating experience. With Kamal, it's never only about entertainment alone. A true disciple of KB, his movies are not only intelligent but also multi-layered, provoking the audience to think and analyse.

The plot is simple: A super star actor, is brought down to earth when he realises his mortality. He now wants to make a swan song movie before his departure and make his life on earth immortal. How these incidents affect everyone around him is the story.

The father son scene was poignant for me and I couldn't hold back my tears.
But the film has ample funny moments too. And minimal songs too.

Acting, as always, is first class; not just Kamal but all supporting casts.

Uttama Villain is not a movie for you to sit back and enjoy. It takes you into the deepest parts of your fears and makes you face them, if not challenge them.

It is not a movie to scratch on the surface and pass quick judgments. This movie requires several watchings.
I am watching again on Friday and then again on Sunday.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 05:37 PM
I watched thrice. Three fans of another superstar who lacks talent and had lots of luck in the past .... were disturbing with continuous cat calls yesterday in Prasads Hyderabad. Fortunately for the rest of the audience and unfortunately for the three jokers , the CEO of Imax is our patient. I just had to send an sms with seat numbers and the security guards evicted the 3 of them promptly. Im flying to Chennai on saturday to watch with my parents again.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 05:42 PM
Shouts like ...... King of entertainment aa ? ? Ivuraa ? ? Ucha natchathiramaa ? Thamizh naattukku eppothum orey oru superstar thaan ....... etc etc ........ made their identity and intentions clear. Young guys ..... IT sector probably ...... ithey JIPMER Pondicherry timela irunthaa ..... theater veliya vechu poosa panniruppom. Vayasu 37 aachu. Responsible positionla irukken. Had to act as per protocol. Useless fellows.

nickraman
6th May 2015, 05:54 PM
Shouts like ...... King of entertainment aa ? ? Ivuraa ? ? Ucha natchathiramaa ? Thamizh naattukku eppothum orey oru superstar thaan ....... etc etc ........ made their identity and intentions clear. Young guys ..... IT sector probably ...... ithey JIPMER Pondicherry timela irunthaa ..... theater veliya vechu poosa panniruppom. Vayasu 37 aachu. Responsible positionla irukken. Had to act as per protocol. Useless fellows.
Lol. Thiruthave mudiyadu sila makkal.

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 06:04 PM
superstar who lacks talent

Ok, He cant sing/dance like Kamal, or direct like kamal, but in terms acting , he is "almost" on par with Kamal, his late 70's , early 80's films are "Prime" example of this.. agree he is not an all rounder like kamal, but he has very good acting skills / and mass crowd pulling skills no other actors.

If we discuss talents just based on acting then , there is only one person in TFI, that is "Nadigar Thilagam"

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 06:18 PM
Shabaaa ....... unakkellaam reply type pannura level kku naan innum varala.

NOV
6th May 2015, 06:27 PM
Can we not talk about other actors here?

The only black point for me was the opening song... really cheesy and Kamal looked clearly uncomfortable. Thank God it was part of the movie in the movie!

nickraman
6th May 2015, 06:33 PM
Can we not talk about other actors here?

The only black point for me was the opening song... really cheesy and Kamal looked clearly uncomfortable. Thank God it was part of the movie in the movie!
That was the point. The meta commentary on aged superstars keeping up with the times. I mean in reality, the last time danced was 5thanthiram (or Vasool Raja, but not much movements no?)

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 06:33 PM
Sorry. But the context was the 3 intentional trouble makers. Who represent a larger group that wants to pull KH down for several reasons.

NOV
6th May 2015, 06:40 PM
That was the point. The meta commentary on aged superstars keeping up with the times. I mean in reality, the last time danced was 5thanthiram (or Vasool Raja, but not much movements no?)excellent point.... was it shot in middle east - I have seen the male dancing in Turkey, if I am not wrong....

nickraman
6th May 2015, 06:42 PM
excellent point.... was it shot in middle east - I have seen the male dancing in Turkey, if I am not wrong....
Yes. I beleive it was shot in Turkey/Istanbul. Even Ashwin (Kamals son in the film) made derogatory comments on the film veera villayatu's lovva lovva song post sequence.

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 07:14 PM
A long one from Chaaru...

http://www.dinamani.com/cinema/2015/05/06/%E0%AE%89%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%AE-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B2%E0%A E%A9%E0%AF%8D--%E0%AE%89%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%A9%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%86/article2800519.ece

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 07:26 PM
Shabaaa ....... unakkellaam reply type pannura level kku naan innum varala.

yes, unakku reply pannathukuu, enakku venum!

ramdas2005
6th May 2015, 07:32 PM
@Param thanks for the feedback on the movie, agree with most of your points.
@doctor free a vindunga, lets discuss the movie or related stuff.

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 07:37 PM
@Param thanks for the feedback on the movie, agree with most of your points.
@doctor free a vindunga, lets discuss the movie or related stuff.

Naa enna paa thappa sonEn, Never said anything bad at all about kamal ever since I have been in the hub for the last 10 odd years, This is the problem with "Fanaticism" , any way , I will leave it carry on guys !

ramdas2005
6th May 2015, 07:40 PM
@Param no worries man...understood.

Adox
6th May 2015, 07:41 PM
Param leave it .. RC's a little upset after that incident. Understand you haven't said anything provocative,

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 07:45 PM
Telling Rajni has acting talent almost on par with kamal and NT is the only great actor in tamil cinema are provocative enough for me. Fanaticism or whatever. I dont care.

Adox
6th May 2015, 07:45 PM
What is the purpose of showing him maintaining a clandestine relationship with Arpana till the very end even after all his repentance. I felt there was no necessity of that display at that point.

ramdas2005
6th May 2015, 07:54 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/boxoffice.php?id=15059207&cid=13525926
Will the movie hold well this weekend, already murmurs started with respect to kerala.
I wish the 8th century part was executed well, after such effort , sometimes it feels sad the financial returns are not upto the expected levels.

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 08:09 PM
It will do good business, not to worry. They will have to give it a few weeks.

irir123
6th May 2015, 08:09 PM

பெங்களூர் நடராஜ் அரங்கம்னு நினைக்கறேன் - 'தெனாலி' படம் பார்த்தப்ப இதே தொல்லை தான் - கூட்டு போன என் தோஸ்துக்கு கிடச்சுது வைய்யல் என்கிட்டருந்து - for taking me to that theater!

Indiaவுல மட்டும் இல்ல இங்கேயும் (US) desis அப்படிதான் ரொம்ப கப்பிதனமான behavior - 'நான் கடவுள்' காட்சி நடக்குது - முன்னாடி rowவுல இருந்த நாலு பேர் இம்சை தாங்க முடில - அவனவன் காசு கொடுத்து படம் பாக்க வந்தா ரௌசுங்கர பேர்ல மத்தவங்கள படம் பாக்க விடாம இந்த மாதிரி பண்ண வேண்டியது.

நம்மூரா இருந்தா ஒரு அப்பு அப்பிருக்கலாம் - இங்க சொல்லவும் முடில மெல்லவும் முடில.

இதுகெல்லாம் திருஷ்டி பரிகாரமா Dark Knight Returns பாக்கும்போது ஒரு தேசி கும்பல் சதா உரக்க சத்ததோட அசடு வழிதல் comment அடித்தல் நடக்குது - முன்னாடி இருந்து ஒரு Redneck மச்சான் பொறுக்க முடியாம திரும்ப பார்த்து உரக்க குரலில் "hey bollywood dudes, be mindful of the others, if you can't watch in silence and be respectful of the common space, feel free to get the hell out of here" சொன்னாரே பாக்கணும் - 'இன்ப தேன் வந்து பாயுது காதினிலே' அனுபவம் எனக்கு - அப்படியே ஒரு Glock இல்ல Magnum இல்ல Shotgun sawn off towards the end of the barrel காட்டி மிரட்டிருந்தாருன்னா இன்னும் superஆ இருந்திருக்கும்!

இந்த desi கும்பலுக்கு trouserலயே கக்கா போறதுக்கு shaving செஞ்ச அரை blade காமிச்சாலே போதும்கறது வேற விஷயம்.

venkkiram
6th May 2015, 08:13 PM
Telling Rajni has acting talent almost on par with kamal and NT is the only great actor in tamil cinema are provocative enough for me. Fanaticism or whatever. I dont care.

+ 1000.

கமலுக்கு ரஜினி எதிலயுமே போட்டியாக வரமுடியாது. நெருங்கக் கூட முடியாது. ஒருவர் ரஜினியை கமலுக்கு"ஆன் பார்" எனச் சொன்னால் அவர் தான் என்னைப் பொருத்தவரை Fanatic.

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 08:13 PM
What is the purpose of showing him maintaining a clandestine relationship with Arpana till the very end even after all his repentance. I felt there was no necessity of that display at that point.

It clearly shows he is not perfect like uttaman. Plus, it shows in many ways that his true love is Arpana and not his wife. From another perspective, it shows reality as it happens in the real world. Haven't you heard of extra marital affairs including perhaps some aspects of Kamal's real life?

PARAMASHIVAN
6th May 2015, 08:19 PM
These kind "Comedy Mokkais " are very common in UK also, but so far I have never seen these type of "idiotic behaviours" in Rajni / Kamal / Vikram/Surya movies, these are quite common for "illaiya thalai vali " movies, hence stopped watching those in Cinemas these days .. But I have never seen any of these in Hollywood/Bollywood movies, manushan nimathiya padam parkallam ...

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 08:19 PM
U wont believe one of those 3 guys had his legs put over the empty front seat ..... this was a decent multipex mind u. This behaviour has nothing to do with being anyones fan ..... it just shows the civic sense of the individual and our tolerence in these matters.

Adox
6th May 2015, 08:23 PM
It clearly shows he is not perfect like uttaman. Plus, it shows in many ways that his true love is Arpana and not his wife. From another perspective, it shows reality as it happens in the real world. Haven't you heard of extra marital affairs including perhaps some aspects of Kamal's real life?

True .. that doesn't count as a candidate for repentance in his perspective.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 08:26 PM
Oru serious autofiction la ...... affair openaa declare panni ..... atha vechu urvashi hospital scene la light comedy seivathu ..... like staring at Arpana when urvashi speaks about Yamini like women ...... I challenge any other mainstream hero in any of the Indian cinema panorama ....... to do that with such dignity in approach.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 08:28 PM
This man just stands miles apart. Thats what Im gonna tell him with tears in my eyes when he shoots for Ore Iravu in my Hospital this month end.

venkkiram
6th May 2015, 08:35 PM
True .. that doesn't count as a candidate for repentance in his perspective.
என்னங்க.. மற்ற படங்களில் நாயகர்கள் நல்லவன்னு பேர்ல எதிர்களை கொலை செய்யும் குற்றங்களை விட இதெல்லாம் எவ்வளவோ மேம்மட்டதுதானே!

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 08:37 PM
Oru serious autofiction la ...... affair openaa declare panni ..... atha vechu urvashi hospital scene la light comedy seivathu ..... like staring at Arpana when urvashi speaks about Yamini like women ...... I challenge any other mainstream hero in any of the Indian cinema panorama ....... to do that with such dignity in approach.

Yes, I was going to say that. It is not that he hates or dislikes Urvashi but clearly he does not love her. These were the aspects that made it very real for me.

It shows Kamal is not only one-of-a-kind talent but also very gutsy. His dignified, sensible speech to some fans on the nights prior to VR release issues, from the balcony of his own house, is the epitome of gutsiness.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 08:38 PM
Veerathin uchakattam ahimsai.

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 08:42 PM
Veerathin uchakattam ahimsai.

Goosebumps

Adox
6th May 2015, 08:52 PM
என்னங்க.. மற்ற படங்களில் நாயகர்கள் நல்லவன்னு பேர்ல எதிர்களை கொலை செய்யும் குற்றங்களை விட இதெல்லாம் எவ்வளவோ மேம்மட்டதுதானே!

Its not like that, Venki .. Having affairs is one thing. Many people do. Not having guilt having an affair is another esp. when you have a wife who loves you to death. Most people are guilty in that case. KH is different, movie or real life - one of those types who're guilt free with affairs. Thats my point ..

irir123
6th May 2015, 09:01 PM
Its not like that, Venki .. Having affairs is one thing. Many people do. Not having guilt having an affair is another esp. when you have a wife who loves you to death. Most people are guilty in that case. KH is different, movie or real life - one of those types who're guilt free with affairs. Thats my point ..

Having affairs is nothing out of the ordinary - everyone has - at least in the mind/fantasy!

Millions even take pleasure in groping around in buses/public spaces - EKSI… thats the worst kind of human expression for some very basal instincts

Yet to watch the film - but from what I see here, its clear that Kamal is addressing the human condition wrto relationships taking cues from his own life - albeit in a dignified way!

Adox
6th May 2015, 09:24 PM
Having affairs is nothing out of the ordinary - everyone has - at least in the mind/fantasy!

Yet to watch the film - but from what I see here, its clear that Kamal is addressing the human condition wrto relationships taking cues from his own life - albeit in a dignified way!

Its not just about having affairs .. Sure, many do. I dont want want to give away anything since you havent seen the movie.

venkkiram
6th May 2015, 09:52 PM
Its not like that, Venki .. Having affairs is one thing. Many people do. Not having guilt having an affair is another esp. when you have a wife who loves you to death. Most people are guilty in that case. KH is different, movie or real life - one of those types who're guilt free with affairs. Thats my point .. மனோரஞ்சனை ஒரு நடிகரா பாருங்க. புரிஞ்சிப்பிங்க. ஒரு மனைவி இருக்கும் பட்சத்தில் இன்னொரு உறவை தனிப்பட்ட முறையில் அங்கீகரித்து ( இந்த உறவு பகிரங்கமாக யாருக்கும் தெரியவேணாம் என அர்ப்பனாவே நினைக்கிறாள் ) வாழும் வாழ்க்கை அவனுடையது. வரலட்சுமியோடு வாழும் வாழ்க்கை ஒரு கட்டாயத் திருமணம் போல.. சந்தர்ப்பத்தின் சூழ்நிலைகளால் உந்தப்பட்டு அப்படி ஒரு முடிவை எடுக்கிறான் மனோரஞ்சன்... அவனுக்கு உடல்சுகம் மட்டுமே முக்கியம் என்றால் சக நடிகையாக இருக்கும் பூஜாகுமாரையும் தனிப்பட்ட வாழ்க்கையில் வசியப் படுத்திக் கொள்ளலாமே! அப்படியல்ல.. தன் விருப்பு வெறுப்புகளுக்கு ஒத்த அலைநீளம் உள்ளதாக மனோரஞ்சன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்த ஒரு வடிகால் அர்ப்பனா! அவனால் எல்லா உறவுகளுக்கும் மதிப்பும், மரியாதையும் கொடுக்கமுடிகிறது. கடைசி வரை. தனது கடைசி நிமிடங்களில் அர்ப்பனா அருகில் இருப்பதுகூட அர்ப்பனாவும் அந்த மருத்துவத் தொழிலில் இருப்பதால்தான்.

avavh3
6th May 2015, 10:11 PM
This man just stands miles apart. Thats what Im gonna tell him with tears in my eyes when he shoots for Ore Iravu in my Hospital this month end.

அடப்பாவி..உடம்பு பூரா மச்சம்யா:evil:

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 10:52 PM
அடப்பாவி..உடம்பு பூரா மச்சம்யா:evil:

In contrast for you, the movie did not even release in North India providing no opportunity to see the film. It is these kinds of stupidity that should be avoided in the future.

kumarsr
6th May 2015, 10:53 PM
He should avoid producers like Lingu in the future and not have anything to do with them. Find reliable people with money bags that can see the release through properly.

ramdas2005
6th May 2015, 11:05 PM
He should avoid producers like Lingu in the future and not have anything to do with them. Find reliable people with money bags that can see the release through properly.
+1 to that comment, at the same how many producers are there in TFI that would invest say in different theme type of films especially with KH. Somewhere I feel KH seems to work with his "own circle" which he really needs to come out of that and be a little open to upcoming talents, say kamal acts in say Kathik Subburaj's direction (just wishful thinking).

ufktrfKnicity
6th May 2015, 11:17 PM

in hindsight, yes. But how can kamal know about the internal financial issues when you start the project ? When it started, Lingu was one of the big money bags. Even when corporates do a proper due diligence they are unable to find a lot many issues.

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 11:18 PM
Correct. Aascaar Ravichandran veethilki varuvaarnnu yaaru nenaichaanga ?

ufktrfKnicity
6th May 2015, 11:27 PM
read somewhere that kai kodukkum kai may bail him out

irir123
6th May 2015, 11:40 PM
Barrie Osborne அப்படீன்னு ஒரு Hollywood தயாரிப்பாளர் VR பார்த்துட்டு 'ஆஹா ஓஹோ' ன்னேல்லாம் சொன்னாரே ? இல்லை சொன்னாருன்னு கமல் சொல்லிக்கினாரே? - அவரு கொஞ்சம் மனசு வச்சு காசப்போட்டு படம் எடுக்கப்படாதா ? இல்ல VR2 வைத்தான் release பண்ணப்படாதா?

radiochandra1977
6th May 2015, 11:49 PM
Summaa irummaa nee. Avar sollarthellaam nambiduvayaa ? ( Crazy Mohan to his plump wife in Apoorva sago )

nickraman
7th May 2015, 12:43 AM
in hindsight, yes. But how can kamal know about the internal financial issues when you start the project ? When it started, Lingu was one of the big money bags. Even when corporates do a proper due diligence they are unable to find a lot many issues.
Point. Also I dunno how other films do not have the same level of financial issues or release troubles (never mind the religious group controversies.)

For instance, had Suriya's Anjaan not been settled in dues, would Lingu prolong in delaying the release like UV was resulting in loss?

nickraman
7th May 2015, 12:45 AM
Eros laam vidunga, what about corporates like Reliance, UTV, etc. And I hope he finds some way to get a bail for Aascar. Papanasam vidu ennaku VR2 naa paakanam.

Arvind Srinivasan
7th May 2015, 03:42 AM
This was my write up on FB about Uttama Villain. Used a lot of pointers from the hub. Thanks everyone for their contributions...

This post is a compendium of thoughts, analysis and insight on Uttama Villain gathered from not only my viewings of the movie but also through some of my various interactions with a host of people- friends, film enthusiasts and fans of actor-writer Kamal. This film as a whole wasn't perfect, had flaws, had comedy that worked only in parts and could have used a better hand at directing all leading to a small loss in translation. Agreed. But this post is not about those glitches. Rather it's about how the genius of Kamal Haasan shines as brightly as ever in this three hour long movie. It's my ode to his everlasting stream of ideas and ingenuity. The last few years have been tough for fans of Kamal, the writer. Many of his scripts ranged from brilliant at times to middling; some being overtly self-indulgent; others being called out for the absolute lack of subtlety. It's taken the man 10 long years to bring a script as dense and wonderful as Anbe Sivam. Uttama Villain reaches the bar set by Anbe Sivam et al. The writing is immaculate and is populated with a plethora ideas, theologies and perspectives. It doesn't require an intellectual to figure things out, but it does require patience and an eagerness to delve deeply into what's been offered and how the scenes in general have been conceived.

THEMES

The general theme of the movie is immortality, the takeaway point in the end being "Art-The bridge towards achieving immortality " as seen through the lyrics
மாளாதது கலையும் கவியும், மாயாததென்றும் நம் அறிவும் அன்பும் .
Here these lines explicitly refer to art being the sole road towards achieving immortality. The movie goes one step further and talks about the buried unexpressed love a person has towards a close one. We, people never express love explicitely but it is all entombed underneath ready to be expunged at the moment of realization that time is catching up with us.
Manoranjan, the dying superstar doesn’t have time to make amends with his wife, to get closer to his disconnected son, to get to know a child born to him that he's never know of. It is a fact that we live a lie everyday by hardly thinking of the impending eventuality of us not existing at one point in time. This movie does a great job of impinging the effect of that moment of realisation.

The line may also refer to undying love of a fan for a star. The movie moreover juxtaposes the real life of the superstar, albeit a dying one with the reel side of his where he plays the infallible Uttaman- a man blessed with immortality. The premise with which this is set up is a parody by itself and at times acts a medium through which Kamal, the writer reaches out to the audience, just as how Uttaman, the reel Kamal reaches out to Manoranajan, the real Kamal.(The saagavaram song for example).

A few viewers didn't like the inclusion of Theyyam and pointed at how minimalistic its effect is in the overall scheme of things and how it's another "I can do this as well" thing that Kamal struck off from his bucket list. Fact of the matter is, it's not. It pretty much goes hand in hand with the theme of the movie. All of you would have known by now that Theyyam is an ancient dance form still under practice in Malabar Kerala. An intriguing aspect of theyyam is "immortalization" of the mortal who's performing the art form. Out of the 500 odd variants of the art form it is the Vishnumoorthi theyyam that embraces this particular concept most effectively. Theyyam rituals usually have devotees worshiping the artist and seeking his blessing. So the story of Uttaman is not just about a guy who gets lucky by getting deemed an immortal, but is truly one both literally (a theyyam artist is treated as one) and also figuratively ( an artist never dies).

THE FATHER
The movie's all about the fathers, their decisions, the effect of those decisions and at last their redemption. Manoranjan, Jacob Zachariah, Margadarsi, Poorna Chandra Rao (PC) are all at heart, fathers and it's their actions as the father that progress the story. It is PCs actions as a father to Varalakshmi that makes him scheme against Manoranjan and Yamini; it's Jacob Zachariah's action as a father that brings Manonmani to Manoranajan; It's Margadarsi's action as a foster father that helps create Manoranjan in the first place- Manoranjan is his brain-child and lastly it's Manoranjan inability as a father to both his children that drives him to achieve redemption. The last song- Iraniya Naadagam is also a standing example of this. It doesn't talk about Prahladan but about Hiranyakasipu. You actually have Uttaman
saying- “இது அவன் அப்பன் கதை”. It ends unconventionally with Hiranyan alive with Prahladan by his side, much like Manohar and Manonmani being at the side of Manoranjan. There is another tender moment close to the end, where Manoranjan looks at both Manonmani and Manohar from outside the changing room as the " En Udirathin Vidai En Uyir Udhirtha sadai" looms in the background. This is after Manoranjan redeems himself by connecting to his son at last and also gaining the approval and love of his daughter, a daughter he never knew existed.

MANORANJAN AND UTTAMAN
Manoranjan and Uttaman are polar opposites, not just with respect to the fact that one is to die soon and the other is immortal but also because of their choices in similar situations. Both are actors. But you see them take a different stance with respect to that. Manoranjan chose his acting career over the love of his life (Yamini) while Uttaman considers himself a human being first and then an actor. Manoranjan is a victim of scheming from people he trusts while Uttaman is schemer himself not only to Mutharasan but to even Karpagavalli and Kaakapusundarar. The ultimate schemer. Another contrast is that of the lost messages. Uttaman aka Senguttavan came for Karpagavalli despite her letter for help being intercepted while Manoranjan kept silent when the exact same thing happened with Yamini.

ONE ACTOR- MANY ROLES
Much like the levels of a dream that you see in Inception, we get the levels of disguises an actor puts. It's like a meta within a meta within a meta. Kamal Haasan acts the role Arumugam who dons the mask of Manoranjan once he hits stardom who plays Uttaman, the immortal in his last movie who in turn plays Hiranyakasipu at the movie's only to reveal in the end that that he was Senguttavan, the neighbouring kingdom's ruler all along.

HOW META is UTTAMA VILLAIN

In the end how meta is Uttama Villain? How close is it to Kamal's real life? Pretty close but not close enough. Some aren't explicit but some are. The ones that are hidden (supposedly) however are that really make things exciting. I have listed the ones that I noticed in the movie below
K. Balanchader playing Manoranjan's guru in the film. There are obvious references to server Sundaram "Long long ago so long ago nobody knows how long ago", his first script and Neer Kumili , his first film.
Chokku Chettiar is an important character in the movie- an unlikely Naradar who inadvertently causes drama to unfold. His name is the same as that of filmmaker Chokku Chettiar, a former roommate of Chandra Hassan ( Kamal Haasan's brother) when the later had dreams of becoming an actor. They were living in a room in a house at Alwarpet across TTK Road. It is now the famous Kamal Hassan office which earlier was the Haasan brothers' residence.
Arumugam- Manoranjan's real name. Arumugam was also the birth name of one Mr. Rudhraiah (late), the man who gave tamil cinema, Aval Appadithan. The man who was disappointed even angy with Kamal going the commercial route after the Aval Appadithan. The reel Arumugam gave into the commercial liaisons but the real was unbent, unbowed and unbroken.
The Kadavul Paathi Mirugam Paathi reference
Like how noted film critic Baradwaj Rangan had mentioned, it was difficult to not look at the meta-ness of the flick. Karpagavalli with a tiger mirroring Appu from Aboorva Sagodharargal (?), the Meendum Kokila reference in the Uttaman- Muthurasan sequence before the Iraniya Nadagam (?), Manohar uttering the word "touché" a reference to Hey Ram where you have Saket Ram saying it to Vasundhra Das. The response from Chokku was quite funny too as he was completely oblivious to what that word meant (much like the audience watching Hey Ram) The list could go on I guess.
You have Manohar wanting to write a script to Manoranjan just to show the latter's talent. Does the son like Kamal Haasan writing Thevar Magan for Sivaji and lamenting the loss of an artist's talent in thankless roles ?
According to Uttaman, there are three roads to attaining immortality. Kamal Haasan the human being satisfies atleast two out of the three.
The Singaravela reference in the Single Kisske Lovah song.
Chithra Lakshmanan, a very famous PRO in the 80s playing a PRO here as well.

A FEW MORE MISCELLANEOUS THOUGHTS

We have Kamal uttering a modern 8th century version of Bharathiyar's Achchmillai Achchamillai along with the starting line of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in Tamizh
Kamal's love of mirrors and reflection is again heavily reflected in Uttama VIllain. The emotionally overwhelmed Manoranjan starting to look at Manonmani's as it seamlessly shifts into the photos of Manonmani with the a more sober looking Manoranjan looking at the photos, Manoranjan's first meeting with Manonmani, The end as we see multiple reflections of Manoranjan's dead body, his children's reaction and his lover's lament all shifting to the projector square showing the movie.
Manoranjan after filming the sequence where Uttaman gets saved from the water has a look at the dead fish as the film goes into an intermission break. There isn’t a lot to differentiate between him and the dying fish considering both were caught in the net from water. One is without air, the other is without time.
Manoranjan literally unmasks himself as Manonmani reads his undelivered letter to Yamini. He comes clean truly. His next get up change would be that of Hiranyaksipu, the father.
The tree of life reference going along with the Udirathin Vidhai line

kalyan
7th May 2015, 04:26 AM
Hi friends :)
Logging in here after ages. Only a Kamalhaasan release pulls me to the hub these days :-) Quite a few analyses as usual for a Kamal movie. BTW, did anyone point out that Manonmani is the name of Appu's love interest(Rupini) in Apoorva sahodarargal?

kalyan
7th May 2015, 04:34 AM
296 pages and we still haven't reached Part II 😬😬😬 How I miss the good ol' Hub and the catchy/creative titles for each of those threads. Bleddy admins 😈😈 @ Nov Anna: r u hearing?

ramdas2005
7th May 2015, 05:04 AM
@arvind: excellent write up, didn't observe certain things in the first viewing, would have to watch it to get the nuances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKrGhPL11sw&feature=youtu.be (BTW this is in telugu, the interview)

Cinemarasigan
7th May 2015, 10:56 AM
Gnanavelraja & Lingu have committed to pay the remaining amount as of Tuesday. Don't know what kind of system is in place to release the movie... In the end, people will lose interest in watching the movie, if they are not sure of whether show is happening or not.

Raajjaa
7th May 2015, 11:08 AM
satyam-ல Saturday special show(8am) எல்லாம் இருக்கு. படம் Hit ஆயிடுச்சா.

என்ன கொடுமை சரவணன் இது.

uruzalari
7th May 2015, 11:18 AM
Sreedhar Pillai ‏@sri50 3m3 minutes ago
KDM license given for today 4 #UttamaVillain noon shows start all over.

Cinemarasigan
7th May 2015, 04:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEZcSbNUsAABR11.jpg

ajaybaskar
7th May 2015, 07:05 PM
Wow!! Thats great news. Mudinja Eppo enga thalaivar ARR kooda padam pannuvaarnu kelunga. Punniyama pogum :)

VinodKumar's
7th May 2015, 07:37 PM
radiochandra1977[/B]]

Sir, B'day partykku mattum enga thalaivar ah varusham varusham koopduraar oru padathula kooda nadika koopda sollungalaen :).

avavh3
7th May 2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.filmibeat.com/tamil/news/2015/uttama-villain-total-worldwide-box-office-collections-third-and-fourth-day-182484.html
Amidst confusion and financial issues, Kamal Haasan's Uttama Villain is slowly but surely gaining momentum at the box office all over the world. In Tamil Nadu alone, the classical drama has grossed 17.15 crore rupees from its first four days with the fourth day(Tuesday) contributing 2.93 crore rupees.

The fifth day(Wednesday) box office collections in the home state is estimated at 1.5 crore rupees, indicating a dip in the collections. When it comes to the weekend(Friday, Saturday and Sunday) collections in the overseas market, the film has particularly done well at the Land of Liberty(USA).

With Sunday contributing $81,382 the overall collections in the US stands at an impressive $465,382 which amounts to a whopping 2.98 crore rupees. While the collections in countries like Malaysia and Australia were steady throughout the weekend, Uttama Villain has taken a back seat in Canada and United Kingdom. When Malaysia and Australia have contributed MYR 537,141(₹95.12 lakh) and A$140,208(₹69.30 lakh) respectively, Canada's weekend collections stands at $48,037 which is 30.58 lakh rupees. In the UK, the collections on Monday were reportedly good but Tuesday saw a sudden drop in the business. In its first 5 days, the film has managed to pile a mere £82,798 which amounts to 80 lakh rupees. As of Tuesday, the worldwide gross of Uttama Villain is estimated at 28.3 crore rupees and the official confirmation on that particular bit is awaited.

despite allegedly slow pacing during 8th century portion and all attempts by wolves to bring it down, this is certainly going to get a hit movie status.

தெரியாமல் போட்டி போடும் மனிதா மனிதா சிங்கத்தை வெல்வதென்ன எளிதா எளிதா.

Russelldnp
7th May 2015, 08:21 PM
that's a stress buster.. TFS:)

Adox
7th May 2015, 08:21 PM
Read somewhere that breakeven is 60c. We're only half way there .. Needs another solid 2-3 weeks run. Kidaikkuma ?

nickraman
7th May 2015, 08:25 PM
There will be a dip. Taking the Eros issues into accordation and 36 Vayadhile (how old r u mallu trmake with Jyothika) in following week, UV has another week to break even.

I dont know the rights cost logistics as well (Audio, Satelite rights?)

radiochandra1977
7th May 2015, 08:27 PM
Someone start new kh film thread ........ Oru Poongaavanam .... puthu manam. Atha mathiri ..... puthumayaana thread start pannunga.

Adox
7th May 2015, 08:30 PM
There will be a dip. Taking the Eros issues into accordation and 36 Vayadhile (how old r u mallu trmake with Jyothika) in following week, UV has another week to break even.

I dont know the rights cost logistics as well (Audio, Satelite rights?)

Fingers crossed about domestic scenerio. Guess the distributors in the US must have made money. Not many tamil movies cross 1/2 million mark .. and UV is poised to get up to 750K depending on coming weekend run.

pushpak
7th May 2015, 08:32 PM
Read somewhere that breakeven is 60c. We're only half way there .. Needs another solid 2-3 weeks run. Kidaikkuma ?

Isn't the cost 60C? Then break even may be 90C or something?

avavh3
7th May 2015, 08:33 PM
super dr..yen..neengale start pandradhu?!

Adox
7th May 2015, 08:34 PM
Isn't the cost 60C? Then break even may be 90C or something?

Yes. The cost is 60C, thats correct. I'm not sure about the breakeven .. I thought atleast let it cross 60C.

Adox
7th May 2015, 08:38 PM
Hope its not that much. 90C breakeven is a bit high .. konjam kashtam to cross that.

avavh3
7th May 2015, 08:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttama_Villain
Uttama Villain has received exceptional critical reviews and a positive response from audiences as well. Uttama Villain has got a great start in the US and has beaten the records of Ajith's recent movie, Yennai Arindhaal, at the box office.
Budget ₹40 crore (US$6.3 million)
Box office ₹35 crore (US$5.6 million) (five-day collection)

தக்காளி..படம் ஓடலன்னு எவனாவது சொன்னா வாய்லயே போடுங்க

Anban
7th May 2015, 08:40 PM
satellite rights in TN, Andhra and Kerala ..

radiochandra1977
7th May 2015, 08:40 PM
Wikipedia quote pannittu thakkali, vengaayam ellaam pesappidaathu. Naalaikkey utter flopnnu update pannalaam athula. Vivaramaa nadkkanum.

Russelldnp
7th May 2015, 08:43 PM
oorey solludhu :(

Adox
7th May 2015, 08:48 PM
Need more info on domestic market from non-wiki sources. I'll dig around some more.

All we can say now is its a hit in the US .. thats all. Distributors must be happy.

irir123
7th May 2015, 08:50 PM
@arvind: excellent write up, didn't observe certain things in the first viewing, would have to watch it to get the nuances.

இந்த முத்தம் கேள்விய மட்டும் மறக்காம கேட்டுர்றாங்க - அதுக்கு அவரும் பொறுமையா 'ஒண்ணும் ஒண்ணும் ரெண்டு தானே, நீ நான் பிடிச்ச சிட்டு தானே' rangeல பதில் சொல்றாரு

nickraman
7th May 2015, 08:50 PM
Its continuing in 60+ locs. I think movie relased in 100. Kind of a drop and theres no big release this week

pushpak
7th May 2015, 08:57 PM
Wikipedia quote pannittu thakkali, vengaayam ellaam pesappidaathu. Naalaikkey utter flopnnu update pannalaam athula. Vivaramaa nadkkanum.

True. It cannot be 40C. Nammavar salary itself will be 30 C.
Entire star cast, shooting, graphics cannot be done in 10C. That too 2 years investment.

Adox
7th May 2015, 09:00 PM
It it breaches 750K in US, thats really good. Cannot expect it cross a million like VR .. 60+ locations and one more weekend we'll see.

Adox
7th May 2015, 09:04 PM
True. It cannot be 40C. Nammavar salary itself will be 30 C.
Entire star cast, shooting, graphics cannot be done in 10C. That too 2 years investment.

Not sure about Nammavar's salary .. heard Surya and Vijay make more than him :)

pushpak
7th May 2015, 09:05 PM
It it breaches 750K in US, thats really good. Cannot expect it cross a million like VR .. 60+ locations and one more weekend we'll see.

Will wait and see.

pushpak
7th May 2015, 09:07 PM
Not sure about Nammavar's salary .. heard Surya and Vijay make more than him :)

But his salary includes for story, screenplay, lyrics, singing also !
Still 30C was quoted from what I read in net. :-)

Adox
7th May 2015, 09:11 PM
But his salary includes for story, screenplay, lyrics, singing also !
Still 30C was quoted from what I read in net. :-)

Ok .. then possible. I was talking about just actor Kamal !

Adox
7th May 2015, 09:34 PM
INSIDE STORY OF HOW UTTAMA VILLAIN GOT RELEASED (STILLS)

Quotes a 55C budget. Breakeven should be around 75C ?

Chennai,May 3(TruthDive): Uttama Villain saw the daylight thanks to Studio Green Gnanavel Raja. Around Rs 35 crores were outstanding towards Eros International and financier Jaswant Bhandari.

Uttama Villain was produced by Kamal Haasan under the banner of Raaj Kamal Films on a Rs 55 crore budget. Taking almost one year, Kamal Haasan held the overseas distribution rights and for Kerala. Thirupathi Brothers being on a downslide after Anjaan flop had borrowed heavily from the financiers by promising distribution rights.

Uttama Villain Chennai distribution was given to Abirami mall and Madurai to Anbu. Thirupathi Brothers did not anticipate Eros and Bhandari to pull off a last minute discord as it was agreed that the collections from theatres would go to settle their dues. As word spread around that the production house would face litigations,they decided to press the panic button. They blocked the company that was digitalising the movie from delivering the content till the dues were cleared.

As talks moved on, Chandrabose, brother and partner of Lingusamy ‘s Thirupathi brothers called his friend Gnanavel Raja. Raja, a cousin of actor Suriya and Karthi runs a distribution cum production company. Raja had bought the distribution rights of Vai Raja Vai releasing on the same day of Uttama Villain. Raja in turn called his friend C V Kumar, YNot studios Shashikant and a few others and decided to buy out areas other than Chennai and Madurai and put on the table Rs 35 crores. This is Rs 15 crores more than the market price. This was made possible only because Raja had trust in Bose.

Uttama Villain is expected to do well in urban areas but might fly over the heads of the mass audience. The two day non release of Uttama Villain has resulted in a huge loss.

http://truthdive.com/2015/05/03/inside-story-of-how-uttama-villain-got-released.html

2 day non release must have easily cost about 15-20 C.

Cinemarasigan
7th May 2015, 10:02 PM
Barrie Osborne அப்படீன்னு ஒரு Hollywood தயாரிப்பாளர் VR பார்த்துட்டு 'ஆஹா ஓஹோ' ன்னேல்லாம் சொன்னாரே ? இல்லை சொன்னாருன்னு கமல் சொல்லிக்கினாரே? - அவரு கொஞ்சம் மனசு வச்சு காசப்போட்டு படம் எடுக்கப்படாதா ? இல்ல VR2 வைத்தான் release பண்ணப்படாதா?

ஒஸ்போர்ன் தானாகவே சொன்னாருங்க - கமலின் அடுத்த படம் ஹாலிவுட் படம் தான். நான் தான் தயாரிக்கிறேன்-நு , வீடியோல பாத்தோமே.. அதுக்கப்புறம் என்ன ஆச்சு-ன்னு தெரியல...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiwmiKJID30

Cinemarasigan
7th May 2015, 10:17 PM
KH's agreement with lingu on overseas & Kerala distribution rights, is a right move. These guys here are making lot of issues nowadays for every release.

Cinemarasigan
7th May 2015, 10:20 PM
Anybody knows the recent developments related to the eros KDM issue? will the movie continue tomorrow or the problems are still there?

radiochandra1977
7th May 2015, 10:24 PM
Maalaathathu ...... kamalum bayamum
Maayaathathu ...... avar gunamum thiramayum.

thamiz
7th May 2015, 10:49 PM
I wonder how does UV doing in Kerala? No news so far..

Russelldnp
7th May 2015, 11:17 PM
I wonder how does UV doing in Kerala? No news so far..

loss ku compensation kudunga nu veetu vasala protest pannadha alavuku nallavey poitu iruku..

thamiz
7th May 2015, 11:37 PM
loss ku compensation kudunga nu veetu vasala protest pannadha alavuku nallavey poitu iruku..

All I asked was how UV is doing in Kerala? Honestly I did not hear anything from Sridhar pillai or anybody! You guys are really crazy!

ramdas2005
7th May 2015, 11:52 PM
All I asked was how UV is doing in Kerala? Honestly I did not hear anything from Sridhar pillai or anybody! You guys are really crazy!
No idea about kerala, but then as the saying goes good travels fast but bad news travels faster....intha BO ellam vechikkittu enna panna porom....whether good or bad.

thamiz
7th May 2015, 11:55 PM
No idea about kerala, but then as the saying goes good travels fast but bad news travels faster....intha BO ellam vechikkittu enna panna porom....whether good or bad.

When it comes to KL, they generally talk about "class" than "mass", unlike Tamil audience. As this one (UV) certainly falls in "former" category, I just wondered how they took it.

nickraman
7th May 2015, 11:56 PM
No news (bad) is good news i guess. Only in TN such naansense happens for Kamal. Mathapadi states oru prachanai illa.

Ore Iravu Telungu/Hindi pannina laaiku. Next problem will come in Papanaasam. Athuku natirya kathai parachanai vandhachu. Meedhi enna nadakupogutho?

cinema
8th May 2015, 12:13 AM
If box office was the criteria for the success of an actor, then Kamal would have continued the sakalakala vallavan way and retained no. 1 status in the box office with his action and dance talents, and with occasional acting. You can't contain Kamal by threatening him showing the box office results. Especially for this movie, I really don't care about its box office results and it will remain with me for long time to come.

kumarsr
8th May 2015, 04:55 AM
Good one, this. Good to see so many people writing such positive things

www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/uttama-villain-kamal-haasan/article7180889.ece

Not older, riper

Kamal Haasan seems to have come to terms with his age in his latest film Uttama Villain

The best news I’ve heard recently is that Rajnikanth will be working with a relatively new director, Ranjith who’s made two immensely watchable films, ‘Attakatthi’ and ‘Madras’. I also like the fact that it was probably not written with him in mind. Ranjith had sent the script to Rajni’s daughter Soundarya for perusal because she works for Eros International. She was impressed enough to feel that the role of the protagonist suited her father and requested him to listen to a narration. Did Ranjith secretly wish this would happen? Well, why not? Rajni listened to the script, nodded in agreement and hugged Ranjith. Now this is the worrisome part because he did the same to Pon Kumaran after listening to the ‘Lingaa’ story.

‘Kalaipuli’ Dhanu, the present president of the Tamilnadu film producer’s council is tipped to be producing the prized project. Dhanu has been awaiting the superstar’s call sheets for more than three decades. He was apparently peeved when ‘Rockline’ Venkatesh was chosen to produce ‘Lingaa’. He must have thanked his stars later! Known to spend lavishly on publicity, Dhanu had told me he’d drop leaflets from helicopters if the superstar agreed to work in his film. This was a long time ago. In the meantime he produced ‘Aalavandhan’ with Kamal, praised him to the skies till the film’s release after which he spewed venom when the film came a cropper. He termed the present project a rumour when I called for confirmation. He probably wants Rajni to announce the film first. Rajni is rumoured to be playing an aging goon without the usual frills. You can only hope that the film is rooted, a tad realistic, is made within a reasonable budget and sold for a rational rate.

I wish Kamal would likewise surrender his inexhaustible talent to a young director with fresh ideas. The main grouse some directors have is that when they approach him with a script he suggests they direct what he’s written. During a meeting, I happened to tell him that he intimidates youngsters. “Tell me who they are. They do come but have nothing striking to offer. It’s not just Kamal to be fed. We have to feel the spirit that’s kindled when we hear something. Success and failure don’t matter. Nobody knows anyway,” he said slightly agitated.

His latest, ‘Uttama Villain’ has evoked extreme reactions. I will not review the film not because the net is overflowing with platitudes but because I feel the film has to be experienced and savoured. There’s nothing complicated. The best thing about Kamal is that he treats you like an intellectual equal not spoon feeding you with overt explanations. He’s confident. The film is like a flower floating in the Cooum river, yet retaining it’s fragrance. Yes, it’s a tad tedious and the CG work could have been better, but the screenplay is mostly seamless oscillating between a character who’s staring at death and another deftly dodging it. Nobody can wring your tear ducts dry like he does, be it in an emotional scene or clutching your gut in a funny one. Kamal has confessed that he’ll never pen his memoirs because the truth will hurt many. He plays an aging superstar here and people are busy speculating how much of it is based on his own life. Well, the character the talented Bhasker plays definitely resembles Kamal’s long time manager DNS who knew the star intimately. I was intrigued by Kamal naming his manipulative father-in-law Porrnachandra Rao. I was reminded of a little-known episode from the 80s when Kamal was ‘sending shivers down the spines of Hindi stars’ like Jeetendra put it. Poornachandra Rao, a big time Telugu producer, started a film starring Kamal, and the tallest superstar (that one’s not difficult) for a Hindi film based on the Richard Dreyfuss starrer ‘Whose Life Is It Anyway’. Kamal played the role of an artiste paralysed neck downwards after an accident who wants to die. The tall superstar played a doctor. 75 per cent of the film was canned when the superstar watched the ‘rush’ print and was overwhelmed by Kamal’s performance. He asked for more footage for him to perform but ultimately offered to work free in Poornachandra Rao’s next film if he shelved this one. The request was acceded to but things were never the same between Kamal and the tall superstar. He has forgiven but definitely not forgotten.

In the 80s Kamal and Rajni played aging characters camouflaging their youthful faces with grey beards in films where they played double roles. This was at a time when fading superstars like Sivaji, MGR, ANR and NTR struggled in vain to look youngFor the last few years Rajni and Kamal were straining to look young. Kamal seems to have come to terms with his age in ‘Uttama Villain’ and ‘Papanasam’. I hope Rajni does with his next film.

sshivu@yahoo.com

NOV
8th May 2015, 06:36 AM
Wow! Poornachandra Rao really exists? :o

kumarsr
8th May 2015, 06:50 AM
Wow! Poornachandra Rao really exists? :o

Looks like most characters including Chokku Chettiar etc. exist. Auto-fictional.

Chikatiloan
8th May 2015, 09:36 AM
"Well, the character the talented Bhasker plays definitely resembles Kamal’s long time manager DNS who knew the star intimately"

Who is DNS?

Kanna
8th May 2015, 11:15 AM
DNS - D N Subramanian

Cinemarasigan
8th May 2015, 03:55 PM
Names of the characters in the film are interesting. Matching properly.
Manoranjan- Entertainment
Arpana- Sacrifice
Margadharsi- Guide