PDA

View Full Version : north karnataka- karalu hindi

napolims445
10th February 2005, 10:52 PM
Hai,
does anybody know what are the karal seeds called in english..Karal hindi/karellu hindi/gurellu pudi is a kannada term and hindi means powder in north karnataka..
I know they r black seeds but dont know what is it called in english..
can anyone please help me..urgent
also can u tell me where can i find those..

Thanks

Vidya Pai
11th February 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi napolims445,
I'm sorry I can't help u with the english name for the seeds, but since u mentioned north karnata I assume u r from that region. I happen to like the vegetable dishes from that region. I would appreciate if u could post a few recipes of the same. Thanx in advance.

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 10:36 AM
Udurupalya- (uduru=dry, palya=curry)
north karnataka recipe eaten with jowar roti

split moong dal- 1 cup
sabsipalya( dill leaves, suva bhaji)- 1 bunch from indian store
garlic- however u prefer- cut into strips
green chillies- ur taste
karalhindi(sorry do not know what is it called in other languages)kind of powder- 1-2 tbsp
salt

cut the sabsipalya and wash well in water and drain and then in seasoning oil add curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and sabsipalya and saute for a while till the raw smell and flavour of sabsipalya is gone and it is cooked. keep it aside. then boil moong dal in water and turmeric till it is cooked but not mushy(i mean the moong should maintain the shape and be cooked)
after the moong is done add the sabsipalya mixture and karalhindi and salt and mix for a while till all the flavour blends.
u can add lime juice if u want.
ur udurupalya is ready.
hope u will like it

will post recipes as and when i will get time

Vidya Pai
3rd March 2005, 01:48 PM
Hi napolims445,
Thanx for the recipe, sometimes I do get 'dill' where I live so I'll surely try ur recipe the next time I find dill. But meanwhile can I use some other kind of greens in place of dill?

I have finally found out what the gurellu seeds r : they r called 'Sesame' in english and r also called 'til' (in hindi) and gingely( in tamil I think) . I think we get two varieties in India white and black. U can find these seeds at most indian grocery stores but I'm not sure if they r available in the powder form.

In ur recipe can I use white sesame seed ground in the cofee grinder in place of 'karalhindi'?

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 08:26 PM
No gurellu is not black sesame seeds - the indian store here has that but it not karal/gurellu. It is not easy to find karalu in south karnataka also. we get that abundantly in north karnataka.

No i don't think so that u can substitute till /sesame seeds powder for karalu. They both are very different in taste. when i run out of karalu i make udurupalya without karalu. because i get karaluhindi everytime someone is coming from india.

I'm sure u can use other greens instead of dill, but u get a distinct flavour with dill leaves and to this if u can add karahindi u get an authentic flavour.

Note- udurupalya as the name says dry curry is dry(meaning when u touch the curry with ur fingers nothing should stick to ur fingers because it is not wet like other dals preparations

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 09:08 PM
Stuffed Baingan( also close to yennegai)-

This is not the exact recipe that u get in kamat yatrinivas but this is the version that we make at home with jolada rotti...u know as i'm typing this i miss mummys jolada rotti and baingan...my mouth is watering.

Brinjals(small ones)- 8-10
for masala-
grated Dry coconut- 12-16 tbsp or if u r using dry coconut flakes from indian store- 8-11 tbsp
(because i have to grate dry coconut to get grated d.c and its time consuming, i use dry coconut powder or flakes from indian store ,
and i think the dry coconut flakes/powder which u get in american store contain some sugar -not sure)
peanuts- 3-4 tbsp
dhania seeds- 2 tsp
jeera 1 tsp
khara/red chilli powder- ur taste
salt - ur taste
rasam/sambhar masala pd- 1-2 tsp
tamarind- 1 ball of amla size or ur taste or u can omit
yellu/til seeds- 2 tsp
garlic- american size(big size)- 2-3
(i hope i remember everything right- will check once i go home and tell u if there r any changes)

Put all these in a blender starting with dry ingredients and adding less and less dry ingredients. gring this into powder. taste this because whatever it tastes is the taste u get when u make the baingans.
Cut the baingans stalk and make 4 slits in baingan longitudinally leaving one end intact so that u can stuff the mixture. Stuff the coconut mixture in the slit baingans. In a kadai take 1-2 tbsp of oil
and u may add additional seasoning or u can omit.
then when the oil is hot add the baingans and stir it now and then for 5 minutes and then add water 1/2 cup and the remaining mixture ( start with 1/2 cup ) and close the lid and let it cook for 10 minutes and now check if the baingans are cooked and also if the gravy consistency is to ur desire ( u can add water accordingly as much thick or thin gravy u want and also next time u can vary the proportion of ground mixture to baingan as per ur preference).
If baingans are cooked and the gravy is to ur req consistancy then its done. ready to eat. Hope u like my (my grandmas)version.

Note--When half cooked if u feel that salt,khara or tamarind is less u can add those now.

khushi
3rd March 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Napolims445,
Thanks for the yennegai recipe, I will definitely try it. Please post other North Karnataka recipes, I'm from South Karnataka but love all NK dishes. We call Garelu pudi as Ucchal pudi, do you know about this. I hope I'm right. Even I get it when I visit India.

-Thanks,
Khushi.

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 09:42 PM
exactly...
yes karelu/gurellu is also called as hucchellu or ucchal ....
do u know if we get that seeds in USA?

truebluemoon
3rd March 2005, 09:57 PM
My aunt lives in Hubli and I have spent many a holidays at her place. I used to interact with the local people and learn local dishes. I know gurellu and haven't seen anyone but North Karnataka people use it.

I looked online a lot and found out they are called NIGER SEEDS.
In US, they are used for industrial purposes and also as bird feed. ( I should have known.....my roommate had a cockateel and she used to feed him with bird feed which had gurellu...only I didn't realise it was gurellu 8) )

I think to buy it in US, you may have to look for bird feeds...wierd, but true. You may also find it in some Indian stores.

I am posting a link to an image of Niger seeds, just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing

http://www.groversons.com/niger-seeds.html

truebluemoon
3rd March 2005, 10:07 PM
Adding to the previous message, Niger (sometimes also spelt as Nyjer) seeds are also sold as Thistle seeds..
Its quite easily available in US

Hope this helps

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 10:37 PM
Looks like it is karalu. I will go to a pet store and check it.
:clap: thanks troublemoon

napolims445
4th March 2005, 02:16 AM
Given below are the name of vegetables in kannada which we get only in karnataka i believe.( i do not know what are they called in other languages) and I would like to what are they called in english or what is their scientific name.
any botany prof here??
Please help.
Kachikai (small bitter berries)
kavalekai (sour berries)
chellikai (sticky berries)- these are called as gunda in indian stores here in usa
mullangikai (they are small 1 inch elongated with a tail vegetable ..has round seeds inside and belong to mullangi- raddish family) --people from north karnataka make dry curry from that

Thanks

tomato
4th March 2005, 09:14 AM
Hi napolims445,
Thanx a ton for the recipe.
Just a clarification: which baingan do u use purple or green?

Hi truebluemoon,
Keep up ur good work, and thanx for finding out what gurellu is?
Hats of to ur patience.

truebluemoon
4th March 2005, 09:27 AM
Hi tomato,
You need to use small purple brinjals for the recipe

napolims445
8th March 2005, 02:51 AM
Pundipalya( dal made of gongura leaves)-
In north karnataka the leaves are sold by name pundipalya only.

Pundipalya- 8" dia and about 5" -6" deep round vessel full of leaves
Chana dal and toor dal- together 1.25 cup
Garlic- i put 8-10 big pods cut into 1/2.
green chilli paste- ur taste
salt- ur taste
Tamarind- check if if the leaves are sour enough otherwise add tamarind to ur taste

take the leaves of pundipalya and add just a little water in its vessel also take the dals in other vessel and now u can keep both in cooker and boil for 3 whistles(depends on ur cooker strength).
Now in seasoning add garlic and saute for a while and now add boiled leaves and dal and to this add salt, green chili paste and tamarind if required. keep this for a while and finally add 1 tsp of oil(do not know why- but it makes a big difference in taste)
and switch off. Pundipalya is ready.Yummm.. Hope u all will like it

Pundipalya is available from nov-dec to apr-may i think

napolims445
8th March 2005, 03:03 AM
Senga hindi/ senga pudi-

Groundnuts- 1 cup roasted and skin taken off
Garlic- start with 1 garlic( then according to ur taste u can adjust)
Khara- ur taste
salt- ur taste
jeera- 1/2 spoon roasted
hingu- 4-5 pinch
Tamarind- 2 pea size balls (or some people omit this completely)

Grind all these in blender taking care to switch off every now and then and mixing bringing the bottom powder to top.
the powder should be slightly coarse not too fine.
U can eat it as it is or can mix with curds and this is one of best accompaniment with jolada rotti and sajji rotti

shanta
9th March 2005, 03:33 AM
napolims445, is the garlic fresh or fried in oil? How long does this chutney last?

napolims445
9th March 2005, 05:27 AM
Garlic is raw( that is what I know of. May be you could try fried garlic also which I've never tried)
In India this lasts for about a month or so i guess(not sure). But I think you could use this as long as you don't smell rancid oil of peanut.
Here in US I made it about a year ago and its still fresh(i mean does not smell any rancid oil)

shanta
9th March 2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks, napolims445! I like the authentic senga hindi taste, so will try with raw garlic first.

tomato
11th March 2005, 09:50 AM
Hi napolims445,
I got the small purple brinjal s yesterday , so tried ur stuffed baigan, It was Awesome...

napolims445
11th March 2005, 08:19 PM
Thank You- Tomato
I'm glad u liked it
By the way- I love all the vegetables and one of the top 2 vegetables is tomato.

bhargavi.raj
11th March 2005, 08:53 PM
Hi,
I had a friend in highschool who was kannada.Her Mom used to make this amazing spinach subhji which is eaten with roti/rice. I think all kannada people make it that way. I can't remember what were in that subhji other than spinach and tomato.
If u know any recipe similar to this,can u post it for me.
Thanks
Bhargavi.Raj

napolims445
12th March 2005, 08:01 PM
Bhargavi,
I check ur dhaba recipes daily. They all seem 2 be yummy but never got time to try anything new. I have to try them sometime soon.
Thanks

The spinach and tomato sabzi I know of is very simple. I don't know if this in any way resembles what u had in ur friends house.
and I myself prepare them in different ways
Spinach and aloo- (similar to palak paneer)
Spinach dal(with toor dal or moong dal)
Spinach tomato
and
rest depends on what vegetables I have

Spinach tomato- serves 2

spinach- 1 bunch, chopped
tomato - 1.5- 2 , chopped
red chilli powder- ur taste
salt- ur taste
dhania/jeera- optional- I do not use them

U can boil the spinach in cooker or you can cook it on stove.
In a kadai add a tsp of oil and then add seasoning(like mustard, jeera and curry leaves and hing). Now to this add tomato and saute till it becomes mushy and then add boiled spinach and mix it once and add salt and chilli powder and then mix it and let the flavours blend for 3-4 minutes. if u feel the sabzi is sticking to the kadai u can add a few tsps of water whenever needed, but when water is added u should wait till that watery consistancy is gone. Switch the stove off. now if u like ur sabzi to be more sour add lemon/lime juice.

A lot of people never combine palak and tomato(seeds) because they think it increases the chances of stones in kidney.
I know that a person has to avoid those when they have stones problem but I'm not sure if avoiding those helps in preventing formation of stones.

bhargavi.raj
12th March 2005, 10:56 PM
Thankyou very much napolims445
Bhargavi.Raj

tomato
22nd March 2005, 09:00 AM
What is 'jola rotti' flour called in english? Is it the same as 'makkai ka atta'?
I also came across something called 'binjira attta'? Anyone knows what it is and how to use it?

shanta
22nd March 2005, 11:02 AM
What is 'jola rotti' flour called in english? Is it the same as 'makkai ka atta'?
It's called Jowar Flour.

tomato
22nd March 2005, 01:09 PM
Thanx Shanta. :)

napolims445
6th April 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi,
Does someone know where can we get gongura seeds here in USA...I want grow them in pots for their leaves. Its been a long time since I've even seen gongura here.
Please help..
thanks

SlurpSlurp
7th April 2005, 07:36 PM
HI guys!

I love JOLA ROTTI ( Jowar flour roti ) , have tried it several times , but in vain . :roll: Can anybody guide me to the exact method for preparing this jola rotti step by step ? it would be a great favour .
Thanks .

napolims445
7th April 2005, 09:45 PM
slurpslurp,
I had posted it in the jowar roti section
u can follow this link http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1258

one more major thing which contributes to a good jowar roti is fresh jowar flour. The older it becomes it loses its elasticity(anyways it does have least elasticity compared to wheat or maida flour- so the fresher the better ) and freshness.

Hope it works out 4 u.
enjoy!!

khushi
14th April 2005, 08:43 PM
Where do you live napolims445? I hope you don't mind me asking this question.

Thanks !!!

napolims445
14th April 2005, 09:34 PM
In USA :wink:

I dont mind answering that. But if you dont mind can you tell me why do you want this info?

khushi
18th April 2005, 08:55 PM
Hi napolims445,
The only reason I asked you that information was to come to your house and eat jolada rotti or atleast learn from you how to do it, I have been craving that for a very long time :-)) You can send me a PM at sushrani@yahoo.com. I love joladda rotti and yenagai, even my husband loves too. Believe me, I had no other intentions. I'm in OH.

-Regards,
Khushi.

napolims445
18th April 2005, 09:37 PM
Oh not a problem....
i was just curious to know why would someone be interested to know where i lived. i was thinking may be it was my long lost friend..
untill then why dont u try making them at home..but believe me it takes quite some time to learn to make jolada rotti. to be frank even my mom is not a pro, but she can manage to make tasty jolada rotti in her own method.
I live in texas. I have never been able to make yennegai and jolada rotti combo here. I make yennegai with chapathi. now since i'm working i do not have the time to try jolada rotti also and i'm still a beginner in jolada rotti :cry: :( . I'm just waiting for my mom 2 be here when i can enjoy those aromas and flavours again.. :D
GOOD LUCK!!!

bhargavi.raj
18th April 2005, 11:50 PM
Hi,
jUST CURIOUS,
Whats yennegai ?
how to make it?
Bhargavi.Raj

napolims445
19th April 2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Bhargavi,
here is the link to yennegai- http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

yennegai - yenne means oil in kannada and here brinjal is used to make this. A north karanataka speciality made with Jowar rotti- top combo :thumbsup: and I feel i'm in heaven when i eat that.

enjoy!!

bhargavi.raj
19th April 2005, 02:55 AM
Oh thanks Napolims.
Did u get the info abt the gongura plant u wanted?
Bhargavi.Raj

ash_970
19th April 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi Nipolims /Bhargavi

I came across the query on this thread and I have one recipe with spinach -tomato . Try it, hope you guys would like it. Its very simple and easy to cook

Spinach -Tomato recipe.

Spinach chopped
Tomato chopped
Hing
Turmeric powder
Red chilli powder
Dhaniya powder
Jeera
Garlics
Sesame seeds / Ground nuts (optional)
Salt

Tuver daal / Moong daal

Quantities you can adjust as per your preference, only thing is proportions of tomato and spinach should be equal.
Spices and daal quantity can be adjusted as per personal taste and consisitency you want.

PREPERATION METHOD

First cook the tuver daal / Moong daal and mash it to soft consistency. keep aside for a while.

In a kadai heat sufficient quantity of oil, add Jeera , chopped garlic and hing (Sesame seeds / groung nuts optional) , when the garlic starts getting light brown add chopped tomato and chopped spinach .
To this add dhaniya powder , turmeric powder and red chilli powder .
Mix all of them and cover the kadai , cook till spinach and tomatoes are fully cooked. You will see oil seperating on the edges.

To this mix in kadai add previously cooked daal and add water to have thick or thin consistency depending on how you want to eat.
Thicker with roti and bit thinner if you are eating with rice.

At the end add salt as per taste. Allow to heat for some more time . sprinkle chopped coriander on the top when serving.

This is a kind of home dish we cook in maharashtra /karnataka

SlurpSlurp
28th April 2005, 07:12 AM
napolims445 ,

Thanks so much for providing the jowar roti recipe . I'll surely try it & let u know the outcome. :)

Sowmya
20th July 2005, 07:06 AM
Hi napolims
Tried your version of "stuffed baingan in gravy" today.It was awesome :D .It's different from the usual recipe using onions,tomatoes.I am pleased cos I could prepare a real yummy dish sans onions,tomatoes.FYI I omitted garlic too and we loved it.
Thanks a lot and do post more interesting north karnataka recipes when you find time.

Regards
Sowmya

napolims445
20th July 2005, 07:49 PM
Sowmya,
I'm glad you liked it. Thanks

Will definitely post other north karnataka recipes in future. Till then may be you could try the other recipes in this thread. And please do let me know if you liked it.

shanta
21st July 2005, 10:12 PM
hi napolims445,

do you have any n. karnatak green garlic and spring onions recipes? also, can you recommend any n. karnatak cuisine cookbooks which have down to earth recipes?

thanks,
shanta