PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning /Organizing/Storing Tips

gv
19th February 2005, 01:00 AM
Dear Hubbers
I know this might be off topic from the cookery section, but I dint know which section to put my query. I am a regular visitor to the cookery section so thought of putting my query there.
Can we pls share some tips regarding cleaning tips(kitchen,bathroom,hall) or organizing office supplies,documents and storing dresses.
Can anyone suggest a way to store Pattu Pudavai(kanchipuram silk saree) in USA?

Thanks
G

Kz
22nd February 2005, 11:19 PM
Hi G,
Regarding storing pattu sarees u can put napthalene balls and tie the sarees in a thin white cloth like veshti cloth, thats how my mom does, so i do the same here. or u can buy those plastic bags and store them in it, but let it not be airtight and add some moth balls in it.
I use vinegar and baking powder for cleaning the kitchen. any stains and grease is easily removed and this more healthy. u can use vinegar to clean the stains in carpet too. then instead of using stong chemicals etc for cleaning bathrooms use shampoo to clean bathtubs and sinks they are more effective and smells good too.
I have written whatever came to my mind now, if i get any new ideas will share them.
Kz

gv
23rd February 2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks a lot kz,
but if u put napthalene balls will the pattu sarees not smell of that. ?
thats a good tip to clean the kitchen w/o using chemical.
pls do post more tips whenever u can.
i wish more ppl participate and we all can share our tips

Kz
23rd February 2005, 03:10 AM
You can tie each napthalene balls in a small square white cloth and add it. may be try adding one or two. i have added and dont feel that smell. and one more tip is never iron them before storing. after use wash the saree and fold it and store. before wearing u can iron it. the more we iron after each use there is more chance of tears in the foldings or creases. ( like small holes) I have kept some sarees in india so each time i use it i fold them differently and keep it in almirah.

Use newspapers to wipe the mirror, it will be sparkling clean.

Kz

dev
23rd February 2005, 07:10 AM
Hi KZ,

Wht kind of vinegar is used to clean the kitechen?...Is it rice vinegar ?...

Kz
23rd February 2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Dev,
Normal white vinegar . i get those big can of vinegar and then transfer them to smaller bottles and keep one in kitchen and one in bathroom, it works out to be cheaper this way.

Kz

gv
25th February 2005, 04:55 AM
KZ,
How do u clean bathroom with white vinegar?

gv
25th February 2005, 04:56 AM
Also,
I need some tips to schedule cleaning . by the time i clean 3 bathrooms,kitchen,lving room and 3 bedrooms 1/2 of my saturday is gone. am working so pls suggest a way to organize/clean in an effective way

shakthi
25th February 2005, 03:38 PM
Also,
I need some tips to schedule cleaning . by the time i clean 3 bathrooms,kitchen,lving room and 3 bedrooms 1/2 of my saturday is gone. am working so pls suggest a way to organize/clean in an effective way

I too was in your predictment after my maid left when I had to take up the cleaning of the house until I chanced upon this website - www.getorganizednow.com - with a lot of useful tips and they are really quite useful. They ask you to subscribe (for a fee of course) but don't bother - get on their free mailing list and every week you get different tips - pretty useful and practical for working mothers like us.

Oh,one very useful tip - always break your heavier tasks - they never seem to feel that 'heavy' after your break them into a few chores where each chore (with careful planning) can actually be done at different times and with less headache.

Hope the above helps. :wink:

gv
26th February 2005, 03:36 AM
Thanks Shakthi
I will visit the site u mentioned. apart from that if u have any practical tips, pls do post

Kz
26th February 2005, 03:49 AM
Hi gv,
I can understand how u must feel cleaning 3 bathrooms etc, initially it was like that for me.dont do all bathroom on one day then it will be hectic. have a set of cleaning items in the first floor and another set in down floor, that way we can avoid running up and down. keep few newspapers too in each bathroom. after a shower ur mirrors will be fogged up at that time as u get dressed u can wipe the mirror with the newspaper and it will be sparkling clean or in a spray bottle u can mix 50:50 vinegar and water. use this spray for cleaning windows, glass and shower stall glass. then i use shampoo to clean sink and bath. after bath try pouring water over the sides so it removes that soap dirt build up. one day clean the bathtub and sink. the other day clean the floor. while u r in living area clean the powderroom. organising ur bottles, lotions creams also helps. keep them in one place in a tray or a plastic basket. so u just have to lift it up and clean that place instead of removing each bottles. while u are washing face wipe the counter top with a tissue that helps maintain, so after 2 weeks u can really scrub and clean it. mix vinegar and baking powder and apply this paste to taps and surrounding, then after a while clean with a sponge or brush and it removes all that buildup in that nooks and corners. while waiting to peel ur face pack or while waiting for the oil bath etc u can clean the place rather than spending separate time for it. i use a small vacum cleaner those handheld one to clean the floors etc for those small dirt and dust. this way i dont have to sweep and clean everyday. add little vinegar to the water u use to mop the floor. it works wonder on vinyl flooring. try not using one bathroom so u dont have to clean that regularly.

indu
26th February 2005, 03:52 AM
For cleaning in kitchen, apple cider vinegar works well on the tougher stains. And gives a nice, fresh smell to the kitchen.
For bathrooms, I use liquid bleach , diluted. It removes stubborn stains,{ especially on the shower curtain} and is also a disinfectant, so no need for adding any extra dettol.
A good site to improve our housekeeping skills, is www.flylady.net.

Kz
26th February 2005, 04:00 AM
As u speak over the phone or watch some tv programs u can arrange things in the living room and dust it. the main thing is to organize them in an easy way so u dont have to search it. Put things in its place rather than arrange themall in one day. i am ok with cleaning but when it comes to arrange things i am still trying to work something easy for my home. u know what , our partner has to help in this, there is no use if they keep messing and we running behind it ,lol. I am looking for some good baskets etc for storing coupons and letters and then junk papers and small things which are here and there with no place to go. keep one basket near the stairs and keep dumping things which need to go upstairs, then while u go up u can carry that basket. Dont throw away shoe boxes. i decorate the shoe box with gift wrapper and then store bills and etc in it. they are so handy. as i come across more ideas i will post it, i got a book from library dont remember the name but it had good tips. i didn't complete it yet will try to get that name.if u have anything in particular do ask. i am in an organizing and cleaning stage now.
Kz

sruthi
27th February 2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks Shakthi and Kz. Your Ideas are really a great help.
Sruthi.

tomato
7th March 2005, 08:11 PM
Store things close to where they will be used.
Some egs will be:
Store spices, coffee, tea sugar, salt closest to ur stove.
Keep umbrellas and raincoats near the entrance of ur house.
Put socks in plastic tray or an empty shoe box and keep it in or close to the shoe cabinet instead of in ur wardrobe.
Always have only ONE place for keys and put them there every time.

----------------------

To always have a neat and tidy home follow this rule;

A place for everything and everything in its place.

I'm still struggling to find rt place for 'everything' in my home but once this is achieved putting it back in its place is not such a big deal.