PDA

View Full Version : Methodology of acting - genres (perhaps?)

irir123
23rd October 2015, 05:06 AM
Some time ago, someone came up with a nice dissection of the schools of acting beginning with the incomparable Nadigar Thilagam - this thread is to discuss all of the following:

1. Different schools of acting;

2. How different actors approached the same/above;

3. How different actors gave their own respective dimension to the above;

4. The role of the director/script writer in all of the above;

5. Role of body language;

6. Most importantly, the efforts an actor puts in towards preparation for a role;

Feel free to quote examples from all genres of cinema - Indian/regional, international etc..

irir123
23rd October 2015, 05:21 AM
Example: "Raging bull" - one of the most stunning depictions of a real-life personality by an actor - Robert de Niro deservingly won an Oscar.. it was a coup of sorts, combination of extreme method acting plus spontaneous improvisations...de Niro apparently had to keep the film crew wait for several months to lose his lean/mean looks by going on a binge eating trip around Northern Italy and France going from (66 to 97 kg). Apparently de Niro bore the effects such as difficulty in breathing, and talking - thanks to the weight gain - talk of dedication!

"Nayagan" - Kamal Hassan who until that film always sported a moustache - got rid off it - and I recall a print interview from pre-Nayagan days, in which he discusses how he had to alter his weight-lifting/body-building regimen to include - deliberately - consumption of வேர்கடலை + முந்திரி - to bulk up to get that strange பூசிப்போன bulkiness of someone in his mid-late 40s/early 50s!
I don't recall anyone else in Indian cinema having gotten into that kind of a preparation mode for a film based on the needs of the script - it was a first of its kind - a school of acting - probably pioneered by Kamal in the Indian context - if there were any before that, kindly correct me..

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 02:53 PM
"Nayagan" - Kamal Hassan who until that film always sported a moustache - got rid off it - and I recall a print interview from pre-Nayagan days, in which he discusses how he had to alter his weight-lifting/body-building regimen to include - deliberately - consumption of வேர்கடலை + முந்திரி - to bulk up to get that strange பூசிப்போன bulkiness of someone in his mid-late 40s/early 50s!

"முந்திரி" .. is this Urid dal ? Though these type of foods are rich in Protein/Vitamin b12/ amino acids, one can not bulk just from food without a proper weight training program , IIRC during his teen times (during B/W films), he already started some kind of weight training .. agree he may have started this trend in TFI, but it is Salman khan who bought this body building trend in Indian Cinema AFAIK... now Vikram has followed Kamal's foot steps in this matter

shwas
23rd October 2015, 02:55 PM
MGR started the trend of body building for all actors.. but for character by charater ts kamal..kaaki sattai mainly made us to go to gym

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 02:59 PM
MGR started the trend of body building for all actors.. but for character by charater ts kamal..kaaki sattai mainly made us to go to gym

But as far as professional body building is concerned .. these were the only actors who did it in a proper way ..Vikram (I), Surya (Vaaranam Aayiram) and Bharath (in some file)

shwas
23rd October 2015, 03:06 PM
profession body building is not hte topic bro...he is asking abt body language...if needed do body building for character and then another character makes them to lose weight..look less or tall height...show weak body..show sadness depression in their whole body...

https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans/status/656835838978842624

Salangai Oli:Ompuri,NShah,Azmi mesmerized
Sippikul Muthu:Chiranjeevi, SmitaPatil & NanaPatekar told hes best #28YearsOfNayagan floored world

can sum1 get the exact words told by these other actors on his variation of all these iflms.. i luv different young, middle and old aged men in these films..no repetition..indian film showed young chandru..middle aged senapathy..old aged senapathy...:thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 03:09 PM
profession body building is not hte topic bro...he is asking abt body language...if needed do body building for character and then another character makes them to lose weight..look less or tall height...show weak body..show sadness depression in their whole body...

In that case it was Kamal and now Vikram .

shwas
23rd October 2015, 03:50 PM
In that case it was Kamal and now Vikram .

not only vikram..also ameer khan..suriya..

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 03:54 PM
true!

Pras
23rd October 2015, 04:30 PM
// dig

is ajith and vijay involved in this topic ?

if not .. you can safely close it !

shwas
23rd October 2015, 04:32 PM
// dig

Prasji :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 04:39 PM
// dig

NaradarE , ithu umakku thevaiya :yessir:

Dammy R
23rd October 2015, 05:04 PM
// dig

Pras :rotfl::rotfl:

irir123
23rd October 2015, 07:51 PM
"முந்திரி" .. is this Urid dal ? Though these type of foods are rich in Protein/Vitamin b12/ amino acids, one can not bulk just from food without a proper weight training program , IIRC during his teen times (during B/W films), he already started some kind of weight training .. agree he may have started this trend in TFI, but it is Salman khan who bought this body building trend in Indian Cinema AFAIK... now Vikram has followed Kamal's foot steps in this matter

Cashew = mundhiri!

Kamal was into body building from "arangetram" days - because of his expertise in dancing - which required often 5-6 hours of training on a daily basis - his body apparently had a natural 'nalinam' - to counter that, he had to devote time to lift weights - the result: an athletic body - cross between a dancer and a boxer!

For Nayagan - he had to bulk up - not the bulking up as seen in Kaaki sattai, or, kaadhal parisu, etc that was more muscle-tone - this time it was more fat layer over muscle tone..

It took a while for him to lose that - as can be seen in 'soorasamharam' - by the time 'aboorva sago' was made, he managed to lose much of that bulkiness.

kosuru news - I have heard that many actors in order to bulk it up follow a regime of weight lifting for a few months - immediately followed by beer guzzling - while taking care of abs - this makes sure the extra carbs from the beer does not ruin the abs area - but the carbs turn into fat and bulk up their overall figure - since they are clothed in most of the scenes, the bulking up makes them look larger (the fat layers do not show up unless they take off their clothes - LOL)!

Karthik apparently did that for a while - alternating between gym time and beer time - maybe just a rumor - but all these folks ended up with either too much booze (hard core) or drugs (Nagesh's son Anand Babu is an example - he looked like a ghost of his former self in a recent brief appearance on TV)

irir123
23rd October 2015, 08:08 PM
MGR - yes - he was the original bodybuilding star - who devoted much of his time to that - he also did quite many of his stunts on his own - his skills in silambu, and a few other martial arts techniques helped as well..

His contemporaries like MN Nambiar, Veerappa - were all excellent professionals - taking care of their physical well-being - Veerappa was also a pioneer in theater/drama..

The late K Balachandar once mentioned about Kamal - in the 80s - "naan avan kitta 'deii poi 10 kilo edai koottikittu vaa'nnu sonnaa, 1-2 maasathula edai pottukkittu varuvaan - adhey 'deii oru 5 kilo weight kurachukittu vaa'nnu sonnaa, adhayum seivaan" - Kamal's dedication was geared towards the roles he played…

Bala mentioned in an interview that he books an actor only after getting a total mind and body commitment to the project by the actor - for Sethu, he approached someone else originally (trying to recollect who it was), but the actor refused to shave his head - Bala had to wait for a while before he met Vikram who was prepared to give 100% to the role - thus Sethu happened and its history!

Bala's choice of Aryaa was based on the same - for Nan Kadavul - Arya spent hours of practicing and perfecting yogasanas - for the om shivoham song, he wanted Arya to do the sirasaanam for a few minutes until the shot was completed with the camera going around in a circle - but Arya went a step further and did a 'kumbidu' with his legs in that pose and Bala did not feel like cutting the shot and the result is so mesmerisingly real!

Bala had similar words about Vishal - who took great pains to maintain the squint eyes in 'avann ivan'

irir123
23rd October 2015, 08:11 PM
Body language - Nadigar Thilagam was/is still a pioneer..

One should keep in mind that those days, much of one's acting was an extension of what one performed on stage - and yet, NT perfected the body language while standing in front of a movie camera - some may seem exaggerated but thats entirely the fault of the director/producers who likely wanted that - NT's performance in Veenai Balachander's 'Andha naal' is eye-popping - very natural and realistic given that time it was made when everything was forcibly melodramatic…

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 08:20 PM
kosuru news - I have heard that many actors in order to bulk it up follow a regime of weight lifting for a few months - immediately followed by beer guzzling - while taking care of abs - this makes sure the extra carbs from the beer does not ruin the abs area - but the carbs turn into fat and bulk up their overall figure - since they are clothed in most of the scenes, the bulking up makes them look larger (the fat layers do not show up unless they take off their clothes - LOL)!

This is new to me ... been pumping iron for a decade now, I know you need whey protein and some Carbs after pumping iron to repair the torn muscle tissues and to promote growth , but using beer for carbs !! :rotfl: ... alcohol decreases your muscle mass while promoting fat :lol2:

Karthik apparently did that for a while - alternating between gym time and beer time -

Yes this Guy could have been the next thing after RK/KH ,, but he is to blame for it ASFAIK

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 08:26 PM
Recently , I heard Anuskha put on a lot of weight for a film... but Amanai was already chubby :oops:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd October 2015, 08:31 PM
MGR - yes - he was the original bodybuilding star - who devoted much of his time to that - he also did quite many of his stunts on his own - his skills in silambu, and a few other martial arts techniques helped as well..

His contemporaries like MN Nambiar, Veerappa - were all excellent professionals - taking care of their physical well-being - Veerappa was also a pioneer in theater/drama..

I thought he had a thoppai in coloured films, Muthuraman was athletic .. btw most of heroines those days were quite pear shaped, with the exemption of Saroja Devi and Padmini ?

irir123
23rd October 2015, 09:19 PM
This is new to me ... been pumping iron for a decade now, I know you need whey protein and some Carbs after pumping iron to repair the torn muscle tissues and to promote growth , but using beer for carbs !! :rotfl: ... alcohol decreases your muscle mass while promoting fat :lol2:

Yes this Guy could have been the next thing after RK/KH ,, but he is to blame for it ASFAIK

Yes - beer for carbs is well-known - also depending on the kind of beer, one could get protein as well - next time you do come across beer (am not suggesting you should drink it - never ever advise anyone on alcohol matters - lol) - pour it slowly along the sides of a glass until its almost full - if you see lost of froth/foam - often called the 'head' - thats protein in beer for you! - also many Indian brands follow poor distillation protocols which affects the actual alchohol content!

As for pumping iron - too much is not good - in fact - body calisthenics are way better in terms of longevity of usage and lesser risk of injury - warmup and cool down are both key to all of this - if one is not careful about protein intake balancing it with a workout regimen, the kidneys are at risk...

Back to topic - besides the mainstream actors, there are so many stuntmen, who take great care in fitness etc.

I remember seeing this one gentleman (he has appeared in many Kamal films as a thug!) in a colony gym (meaning crude instruments, nothing stateof-the-art!) in KK Nagar, Chennai - guess his name is Thyagu - quiet and unassuming - have greeted him a few times..

It is the bearded gentleman at 39:29 here - https://youtu.be/MONCy3X2Tvk?t=2356 -

PS: the other guy behind him also appears in a few Rajini films - he was the owner of the small 'VC Lending library' in Ashok Nagar

(PS: teetotaller - avid passionate swimmer, hiker/mountain climber, yoga as well every now and then)

lord_labakudoss
24th October 2015, 07:07 PM
There are two different aspects to this:
(1) Body language - quite a few actors (unisexual) are really good at this... Stage actors with historical play experience especially... OTOH, There are those with good dialogue delivery that miss out on these as well, from the Visu school and certain comedians...
(2) Transforming physically for a certain film - Most stars would star in multiple films simultaneously and so this wasn't possible (or one film would win out).... Only since the late 80s has this been feasible... Kamal, Vikram and Surya are the ones who do this well....

Internationally, both Matthew Mcconaughey and Christian Bale have impressed me withe their efforts to look the part for each move...
Regards,
LL

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th October 2015, 07:32 PM
But as far as professional body building is concerned .. these were the only actors who did it in a proper way ..Vikram (I), Surya (Vaaranam Aayiram) and Bharath (in some file)

on what basis kamal is not in the list of actors who did it in proper way? in which way one wud say kamal didnt build his body in proper way?!

irir123
25th October 2015, 04:12 AM
on what basis kamal is not in the list of actors who did it in proper way? in which way one wud say kamal didnt build his body in proper way?!

Sakala - knowingly or unknowingly, he omitted Kamal's name - forgive him for his choice of ignorance…

The entire industry knows:

How Kamal helped make the transition from the yesteryear style of dramatic acting to a more realistic / nuanced performance onscreen..

some examples:

1.how long before Nayagan, Kamal's dedication and passion - in learning to play the mrudangam lead to his timeless performance in 'aboorva raagangal'' and ventriloquism in 'avargal';

2.his training in classical dance further helped him in that evergreen 'salangai oil';

3.his nuances in learning sinhala tamizh - even for a commercial slapstick - resulted in a blockbuster 'tenali';

4.his creative combination of martial arts and classical dance forms often gave a different viewing experience - his stunts in Thoongathey thambi thoongathey (watch from 2:25 onwards - "kadum payirchiyinaal vandhadhu" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iMKt7GMKrY), Anbe sivam and alavandhan - done without a stunt double - are testimony to this..

5.The difference between the schizophrenic Nandu and the younger twin - included as much body language as did the actual painfully gained muscle mass..

6.without the props of any of these skills, Kamal gave a tour de force performance in Uttama villain!

7. Nassar in an interview spoke about how Kamal could bring out six-packs in that portion of Marudhanayagam that has already been shot;

just a few samples..

neenga tension aagaadeenga - prayojanam illai!

irir123
25th October 2015, 06:36 AM
There are two different aspects to this:
(1) Body language - quite a few actors (unisexual) are really good at this... Stage actors with historical play experience especially... OTOH, There are those with good dialogue delivery that miss out on these as well, from the Visu school and certain comedians...
(2) Transforming physically for a certain film - Most stars would star in multiple films simultaneously and so this wasn't possible (or one film would win out).... Only since the late 80s has this been feasible... Kamal, Vikram and Surya are the ones who do this well....

Internationally, both Matthew Mcconaughey and Christian Bale have impressed me withe their efforts to look the part for each move...
Regards,
LL

It is a standard thing for most professionals internationally - some like Christian Bale go to extreme lengths to play their part - which is a continuation of the legacy of de Nero, and Daniel Day-Lewis - the latter has often been described as an eccentric in this regard - getting under the skin of the character was everything for him!

It goes without saying that Kamal Hassan was the first to bring in that level of professionalism in Indian cinema - his training under his gurunathar helped (not to leave out what he imbibed from NT, MGR and others) - btw, when it comes to discipline on the sets, Kamal, Rajini and everyone from the KB school were groomed with an inherent discipline..

(Kamal once mentioned about Rajini ""அவர் shooting மட்டும் இல்ல, எந்த ஒரு விஷயத்துக்கும், ஒரு நேரம் கொடுதாருன்னா, அவர் lateஆ வந்ததே கிடையாது"..)

It is this discipline which was lacking in other "woods" in India back in the 80s/90s - which has changed in the last decade..

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2015, 03:39 PM

Sakala,...

Kamal did change his physical appearance to suit the roles, in fact I even mention that AFAIK kamal was the trend setter in Tamil Film industry

What I meant by professional body building was done by actors like Arnie.. in TFI IMHO it was Vikram /Surya and Bharath who came up with well defined (toned) physic .. where else kamal simply bulked up, where else Vikram and surya came up with six packs .. I did not or even intend to offend or say anything bad about kamal ( I have never done that in this hub at all)

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2015, 03:43 PM
As for pumping iron - too much is not good - in fact - body calisthenics are way better in terms of longevity of usage and lesser risk of injury - warmup and cool down are both key to all of this - if one is not careful about protein intake balancing it with a workout regimen, the kidneys are at risk...

If you are interested, you can participate in this thread which was started by me a long time ago :)

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?736-Any-Fitness-Freaks-out-here

mexicomeat
26th October 2015, 04:34 PM
prabhu ganesan put on some weight to act in the movie sangili.

yet to come out of it though...

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2015, 04:38 PM
prabhu ganesan put on some weight to act in the movie sangili.

yet to come out of it though...

lol... good one

shwas
26th October 2015, 05:46 PM
Sakala,...

Kamal did change his physical appearance to suit the roles, in fact I even mention that AFAIK kamal was the trend setter in Tamil Film industry

What I meant by professional body building was done by actors like Arnie.. in TFI IMHO it was Vikram /Surya and Bharath who came up with well defined (toned) physic .. where else kamal simply bulked up, where else Vikram and surya came up with six packs .. I did not or even intend to offend or say anything bad about kamal ( I have never done that in this hub at all)

6 pack abs was first done by kamal during marudhanayagam...

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2015, 07:16 PM
6 pack abs was first done by kamal during marudhanayagam...

Really ? :oops: I withdraw by case :)

irir123
26th October 2015, 07:30 PM
PARAMASHIVAN - go back to my posting where I have mentioned about Nassar referring to Kamal's six packs for Marudhanayagam…

It is not just bulking up per se - refer again to my posting about what KB said about Kamal adding and losing weight…

Arnie level body building - only he can do - (steroids may have helped as well) - he has been in it for a very long time - he did not even begin his career as an actor - body building was his main mojo!

But critics/reviewers often go gaga about his (lack of) acting skills - even if one were to ignore that - other dedicated body builders like Stallone excel in script-writing - Arnie is not in that league either...

PARAMASHIVAN
26th October 2015, 07:35 PM
PARAMASHIVAN - go back to my posting where I have mentioned about Nassar referring to Kamal's six packs for Marudhanayagam…

Sorry I missed that post

Arnie level body building - only he can do - (steroids may have helped as well) - he has been in it for a very long time - he did not even begin his career as an actor - body building was his main mojo!

But critics/reviewers often go gaga about his (lack of) acting skills - even if one were to ignore that - other dedicated body builders like Stallone excel in script-writing - Arnie is not in that league either...

agree his acting skills are .... well don't exists :lol2:

irir123
26th October 2015, 07:36 PM
It becomes very relevant - what Naseerudin Shah/Om Puri had to say about Kamal way back in the early 90s "he is one professional who created opportunities rather than seeking the same"..

Very important observation - given Kamal's thirst for exploring boundaries, most in Indian cinema either do not have that passion or simply cannot match his acumen accumulated over decades - there are a few exceptions like Ilaiyaraaja (hence their strong chemistry!)..

Therefore, he creates projects that will fulfill his quest..

aanaa - there are some journos from up north who will liberally use words like "pushing the envelope" while referring to Big B (adhenna Big B yenakku purila?!) , and the Khans! only Aamir Khan (who himself was a chocolate baby hero for a decade before taking professional steps), is an exception

irir123
26th October 2015, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=PARAMASHIVAN;1262875 - btw most of heroines those days were quite pear shaped, with the exemption of Saroja Devi and Padmini ?[/QUOTE]

They were - good - in emoting / delivering lines - the late Aachi Manorama - was/is one example... Savithri was peerless/brilliant!

the late Sujatha and Sri Vidya, Sree Devi (who made it to a superstar status as well), Shobha, Shobana, Saritha, Urvasi, Nandita Das, Archana, Revathi & Suhasini (the last two when handled well!) - were/are great as well.

Ever heard of Smita Patil and Shabana Azmi?! they were 'wow' actors - its a pity that Kamal did not act with either of them..

Kate Winslet for example is not the perfect hour-glass figure - but a monster in acting;

Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz, Cate Blanchett et al - were/are intelligent/well-read and terrific actors - of the veterans, Susan Sarandon is nothing short of brilliant in most of her films -

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTvfNUmltA -

a great film with top-notch performances by Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon.. (Raghuvaran and Revathy did try to emulate them in Anjali!)

Maintaining shape is only one aspect - if you are looking for nice 'figures', try models and snuff films - lol