PDA

View Full Version : Films recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Pages : [1] 2

uruzalari
10th November 2015, 12:50 PM
Thoongavanam - Felt it was average. The tension was consistently reducing. The villains did not seem to do anything at all.

ajaybaskar
10th November 2015, 04:58 PM
Thoongavanam

Stylishly made. But apart from that nothing worked for me. The movie wanders between the dance floor, kitchen and toilet and it becomes boring after a while. I thought they would've worked on this and made a change to the Nuit Blanche script. But it is ditto. I didn't find the original impressive. Same goes for the remake as well..

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

PARAMASHIVAN
10th November 2015, 05:01 PM
Thoongavanam - Felt it was average. The tension was consistently reducing. The villains did not seem to do anything at all.

Have you seen "Nuit Blanche" (sleepless night )? , Is thoongavan an "Inspiration" from this or a 100% remake ( frame to frame) ?

uruzalari
10th November 2015, 06:15 PM
Have you seen "Nuit Blanche" (sleepless night )? , Is thoongavan an "Inspiration" from this or a 100% remake ( frame to frame) ?

Have not watched it.

venkkiram
10th November 2015, 07:50 PM

I think you are very special Param when comes to raising questions for anything under the sun. The fun is you constantly doing it tirelessly for years. May be this question the millionth of yours. Congrats! Anyway.. Please go and watch before collecting these kind of info on any movie. What does it go to make difference in forming opinion? Even if TV's screen play is good compared to original, you are not going to praise it. Right? You would come up with the one more question like "what is the girl's name who kissing Kamal?

:)

PARAMASHIVAN
10th November 2015, 07:58 PM
lol @venki

I was reading thoongavanam and vedhalam reviews, very good reviews about "thoongavanam ", but average reviews about vedhalam
, I am not doing this because it is a kamal Film, if you think like that I cant change that ,BTW I watched Visawaroopam 3t imes and dasa 2 times in the cinema, so it is nothing to do with the kamal :)

venkkiram
10th November 2015, 08:04 PM
Finally a post from Param which is longer than his signature content. That's what we all want Param. Good!

Arvind Srinivasan
10th November 2015, 08:26 PM
Thoongavanam

Stylishly made. But apart from that nothing worked for me. The movie wanders between the dance floor, kitchen and toilet and it becomes boring after a while. I thought they would've worked on this and made a change to the Nuit Blanche script. But it is ditto. I didn't find the original impressive. Same goes for the remake as well..

Not surprising since I knew that you weren't impressed by Nuit Blanche in the first place.....:)
I wish not to talk much about the Thoongaavanam since it just got out..But I would like to say this..I liked Nuit Blanche a lot...Not just for the pulpy no nonsense action blocks...But also for making me empathise with the main character...That's usually a rarity in fast paced thrillers since there is absolutely no space left for the viewer to get himself in mentally. And to do that in as short as 100 minutes was commendable. So its actually good that Kamal's retained the essence of the original in my opinion. Its a concoction that worked for me...So why not....

ajaybaskar
10th November 2015, 09:02 PM
AS,

If Nuit Blanche worked for you, then for sure TV will please you even more. :)

Arvind Srinivasan
10th November 2015, 09:12 PM
AS,

If Nuit Blanche worked for you, then for sure TV will please you even more. :)

I watched it already AB....More on it when more people get to watch it...

Mahen
10th November 2015, 09:29 PM
Vedalam..piece of crap :evil: this is ajit's version of sura..dey siva, u got lucky with veeram.. Unaku 2nd chance kudathathe periya thappu.. U will ruin ajit's career if you continue working with him..
Only plus is aaluma doluma..surudhi looks weird.. Lip job i think.. And why shes even in the movie :mad:

Russellmvr
10th November 2015, 09:44 PM
~Edited ~

ajaybaskar
10th November 2015, 10:13 PM
--Edited--

Russellmvr
10th November 2015, 10:21 PM
Done.. but movie dandanaka dan

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

ajaybaskar
10th November 2015, 11:01 PM
Annabelle

Skipped this movie in theatre because of the loads of negative reviews. Watched it in home video last night and found it decent.

Nawaaz
10th November 2015, 11:06 PM
Why new movie reviews are not posted in respective threads?

Nawaaz
10th November 2015, 11:07 PM
Vedalam..piece of crap :evil: this is ajit's version of sura..dey siva, u got lucky with veeram.. Unaku 2nd chance kudathathe periya thappu.. U will ruin ajit's career if you continue working with him..
Only plus is aaluma doluma..surudhi looks weird.. Lip job i think.. And why shes even in the movie :mad:

If I say the same, its cooked up review it seems :(

uruzalari
11th November 2015, 02:02 AM
Vedalam - Did not like it. A couple of mass scenes for the fans to rejoice and the entire remaining film looked like a filler.

mappi
11th November 2015, 05:19 AM
Mr. GreyShirt : "If you guys are talking about Bond movies then you gotta talk about the credit music. How was the Spectre's music? "

Sam Simth's single "Writing's on the Wall" features as the Bond Title Song in the film Spectre. It has more character to it, and if you have watched the film, you will easily relate it to the name of the single. And this time, Bond goes for flames and the hair of the dancing beauties are flying ashes. Simply superb definitions if you get to watch it on 4K.

Everything about the movie is great - Hinx & Mr.White were convincing. The Jaguar C-X75/Aston DB10 chase was spectacular.

Will talk about the movie in the Foreign Films thread, later.

Spectre - "Welcome, James. It's been a long time, and, finally, here we are."

mappi
11th November 2015, 05:43 AM
Annabelle

Ed Warren, Lorraine Warren & the doll named Annabelle are real and the story is not based but inspired from real-life suituation. The museum where they put the doll exists. That's what makes watching the movie chilling. And yes, its quite decent for a horror flick.

irir123
11th November 2015, 05:59 AM
Mr. GreyShirt : "If you guys are talking about Bond movies then you gotta talk about the credit music. How was the Spectre's music? "

Sam Simth's single "Writing's on the Wall" features as the Bond Title Song in the film Spectre. It has more character to it, and if you have watched the film, you will easily relate it to the name of the single. And this time, Bond goes for flames and the hair of the dancing beauties are flying ashes. Simply superb definitions if you get to watch it on 4K.

Everything about the movie is great - Hinx & Mr.White were convincing. The Jaguar C-X75/Aston DB10 chase was spectacular.

Will talk about the movie in the Foreign Films thread, later.

Spectre - "Welcome, James. It's been a long time, and, finally, here we are."

The title song/track was/is good - but somehow I liked Skyfall by Adele better.. the visuals were stunning in Spectre titles!

My personal favorite since the Timothy Dalton years is Sheryl Crow's 'tomorrow never dies' which apparently has chord progressions not much different from 'o butterfly' from Meera by IR - which came several years before TND!

mappi
11th November 2015, 06:20 AM
For me, its Shirley Bassey's Goldfinger, followed by Live and Let Die by Wings. After a terrifying Bond Opening scene, Tina Turner voice is what a Bond soundtrack needs. Then ofcoarse you got Madonna.

rifath
11th November 2015, 06:26 AM
Vedhalam( I think it's better to post here as posting there might start some unnecessary confusion)
I found 1st half quite interesting actually..apart from the comedy,shruthi scenes and some unbelievable fights! Suspense factor was nice! The fight situation in yacht nice! But fight choreography could have been realistic and suspenseful!
Interval scene the dialogues were nice although over the top!
It's only the 2nd half which never work for me! Yen Siva ippdi?aaluma Doluma was 👍🏼 sentiment scenes were nice here and there! Ajiths innocent performance👍🏼
I am sure ajith fans would love the movie! For the rest not that bad as they make it seem in Twitter!2nd half don I expected something like mass don! I personally found the maari act not well suited for the screenplay! From what I saw fans seemed to like yacht fight and mass dialogues very much👍🏼👍🏼 comedy was romba Sumar! Songs was not that nice! BGM in veeram was more mass! Ajiths performance all really nice! However my humble request is director Siva can make it a bit less predictable in future films!

PARAMASHIVAN
11th November 2015, 03:30 PM
The title song/track was/is good - but somehow I liked Skyfall by Adele better.. the visuals were stunning in Spectre titles!

Agree, I am going for the 2nd to time see Spectre , would have been awesome had the movie had better bond girls :|

Can any one enlighten me as to why Julia Roberts / Cindy Crawford were never considered for a bond girl? after all they were some of the beautiful women of the 90's!, they still look good enough to be bond girls!

Nawaaz
11th November 2015, 05:14 PM
Let me protect myself from spammers by posting here

Vedalam - as ajith says it was dhamasu dhamasu

After first half I thought it couldn't be bad than this but 2nd half proved me wrong. Shruthi, soori, bgm, villains and ajith as vedalam were irritating to the core. Don't you mess with me song was :sigh2:

Ajith's dance for aaluma doluma with heavy beats were like traffic police actions though song was trimmed. Was this song shot in hurry ? Not sure why ajith screams in most of the scenes. Therika vidalama graphics scene looked very odd. Best part ajith doesn't need any tracking device to find villians [emoji38]

Positives - Ajith as ganesh, lakshmi Menon saving scene from hospital and climax last scene

Negatives - vedalam character, comedy sentiment try by ajith, soori, poor bgm and finally the worse of all shruthi . why is she there in movie?

Ajith better act in movie like thoongavanam without dance, songs and punch scenes. It suits him better. Comedies and sentiments never worked with him

Arragesh
11th November 2015, 05:41 PM
Vedhalam( I think it's better to post here as posting there might start some unnecessary confusion)
I found 1st half quite interesting actually..apart from the comedy,shruthi scenes and some unbelievable fights! Suspense factor was nice! The fight situation in yacht nice! But fight choreography could have been realistic and suspenseful!
Interval scene the dialogues were nice although over the top!
It's only the 2nd half which never work for me! Yen Siva ippdi?aaluma Doluma was ���� sentiment scenes were nice here and there! Ajiths innocent performance����
I am sure ajith fans would love the movie! For the rest not that bad as they make it seem in Twitter!2nd half don I expected something like mass don! I personally found the maari act not well suited for the screenplay! From what I saw fans seemed to like yacht fight and mass dialogues very much�������� comedy was romba Sumar! Songs was not that nice! BGM in veeram was more mass! Ajiths performance all really nice! However my humble request is director Siva can make it a bit less predictable in future films!

I don't think this kind of Review is going to do any harm in posting in Vedalam Threat. I don't any of us(Ajith Fans) would actually be against it. And Thanks for the Review. :)
But obviously this place is definitely for spammers who expects to trigger animosity.

Mahen
11th November 2015, 06:21 PM
thonga vanam..a bland thriller..elarrum edge of seat solranga, but for me its was quite slow paced and the twist was typical stuff..if this is called edge of seat, papanasam ellam enna solrathu..sorry to say, writing thrillers is not Kamals forte..
Disappointing Deepavali releases so far..next Salman Khan thaan kapathanum..:oops:

Mahen
11th November 2015, 06:28 PM
Let me protect myself from spammers by posting here

Vedalam - as ajith says it was dhamasu dhamasu

After first half I thought it couldn't be bad than this but 2nd half proved me wrong. Shruthi, soori, bgm, villains and ajith as vedalam were irritating to the core. Don't you mess with me song was :sigh2:

Ajith's dance for aaluma doluma with heavy beats were like traffic police actions though song was trimmed. Was this song shot in hurry ? Not sure why ajith screams in most of the scenes. Therika vidalama graphics scene looked very odd. Best part ajith doesn't need any tracking device to find villians [emoji38]

Positives - Ajith as ganesh, lakshmi Menon saving scene from hospital and climax last scene

Negatives - vedalam character, comedy sentiment try by ajith, soori, poor bgm and finally the worse of all shruthi . why is she there in movie?

Ajith better act in movie like thoongavanam without dance, songs and punch scenes. It suits him better. Comedies and sentiments never worked with him

exactly..reminds me of Vijays Aaddhi..that aaaii :banghead: and the villains voice..enamo payi padathuku dub panraga pola

pavalamani pragasam
11th November 2015, 06:36 PM
Watched thoongaavanam in the theatre. A fast-paced thriller. A clever plot cleverly developed: the credit must rightly go to the English original, also for the shorter duration than our native movies. It is a bad boy thriller with very violent scenes, too violent for my liking. The kidnapped boy in the movie is a little precocious in a lovable way. Kannam vaththiya Trisha did justice to her role as did all other characters.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th November 2015, 06:57 PM
thonga vanam..a bland thriller..elarrum edge of seat solranga, but for me its was quite slow paced and the twist was typical stuff..if this is called edge of seat, papanasam ellam enna solrathu..sorry to say, writing thrillers is not Kamals forte..
Disappointing Deepavali releases so far..next Salman Khan thaan kapathanum..:oops:

:notthatway: Tammu to save the day :yessir:

thamiz
11th November 2015, 07:01 PM

What was the movie you liked recently?

Lingaa? I dont remember you wrote too negative about Lingaa! :lol:

thamiz
11th November 2015, 07:02 PM
Watched thoongaavanam in the theatre. A fast-paced thriller. A clever plot cleverly developed: the credit must rightly go to the English original, also for the shorter duration than our native movies. It is a bad boy thriller with very violent scenes, too violent for my liking. The kidnapped boy in the movie is a little precocious in a lovable way. Kannam vaththiya Trisha did justice to her role as did all other characters.

They say the original was in french, PP! Belated happy deepaavali to you! :)

selvakumar
11th November 2015, 07:04 PM
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahen
11th November 2015, 07:15 PM
What was the movie you liked recently?

Lingaa? I dont remember you wrote too negative about Lingaa! :lol:

papanasam is the best so far.. Other than that, nothing really satisfying honestly..

thamiz
11th November 2015, 07:16 PM
papanasam is the best so far.. Other than that, nothing really satisfying honestly..

Thats fine. Honesty is the best policy! :bow:

Mahen
11th November 2015, 07:21 PM
2014 was a better year for tamil cinema

shwas
11th November 2015, 07:46 PM
toongavanam - trisha
vedalam - sruti

papanasam - nivedita tomas..not competitor for tammu?

shwas
11th November 2015, 07:55 PM

even a non regular tamil cinema poster only posts for Kamal haasan films as they r quality :thumbsup: PP mam

faithiu11
11th November 2015, 09:05 PM
Watched vedalam- maga matamana padam....for heaven sake ajith should stop working with dumbs lik siva....soori & sruthi is such a torture ...aj become too monotonous with his expressions(mangatha hangover) and should stop crappy dialogues lik nee kettavan naan kedu kettavan...now most worrying thing is bcz of tremendous collections aj might again work with him( Siva already told his next also with aj)...hope it wont happen...

irir123
11th November 2015, 10:43 PM
Agree, I am going for the 2nd to time see Spectre , would have been awesome had the movie had better bond girls :|

Can any one enlighten me as to why Julia Roberts / Cindy Crawford were never considered for a bond girl? after all they were some of the beautiful women of the 90's!, they still look good enough to be bond girls!

Monica B was good in parts - ஆனா கடசில கார்ல உக்காந்துகிட்டு அவங்க Daniel Craigஅ பாத்து ஒரு look விடுவாங்களே - சில்க் ஸ்மிதா அவர்கள், கமலை பார்த்து ஒரு விவகாரமான 'romantic look' மாதிரி ஒரு look in மூன்றாம் பிறை - அந்த scene கொஞ்சம் வயத்தை கலகிச்சு!

Julia Roberts? guess what, JR apparently is not exactly liked by a lot of women! seriously, thats why the Bond franchise carefully chooses female leads that will be liked by both genders!

irir123
11th November 2015, 10:47 PM
For me, its Shirley Bassey's Goldfinger, followed by Live and Let Die by Wings. After a terrifying Bond Opening scene, Tina Turner voice is what a Bond soundtrack needs. Then ofcoarse you got Madonna.

I said since the Timothy Dalton years - before his years, there were quite a few memorable Bond title tracks - all of Shirley Bassey's songs were terrific

Arvind Srinivasan
11th November 2015, 11:03 PM
I will hold "writing's on the wall" over "let the skyfall"and that's mostly because of the wonderful opening title credits. The way it's been conceptualised with Bond in flames and all the main characters of the last four films coming in really made the difference. As a standalone probably the latter. But I got to hear both only through the opening credits. So hence my opinion...Spectre was good except that I wished they had used Waltz a little better. Silva towers over Blofeld in my opinion...

mappi
12th November 2015, 12:19 AM
Yes, the title credit of Spectre is intelligent, that hits from time to time with certain visuals in the film. Moreover, its all about Spectre and its child organisations, which are beautifully assembled during the Title card.

Coming to Bond girls, there is another titbit in Spectre about 'Bond beds Women'. Lucia Sciarra & Madeleine Swann are 2 different females, in age as well as looks. And the best part is when Blofled gives a clue how much younger Miss Swann is compared to them (include Bond), when he says she was a little girl when he visited her father. These details in Spectre were far most the best expressed in the Bond series.

Spectre is witty too, even in melodramatic suituations. Addressing Money Penny after watching Ex-M's instructions, Bond says "She works even after her death".

Also the scene at L'Americain is somber : "Who sent you? Who are you working for?". Everyone were laughing, I was like wanting to hug Bond.

And Q gets the ultimate lines : "I asked you to bring it back in one piece, not just one piece"

There is another funny moment when the Aston gets reserved for 009, and Q offers Bond just a watch -

Bond: What can it do?
Q: It tells the time.

Tiny light moments are floated all over the movie.

And about Blofled : When it comes to the character, Blofled got a sufficient runtime as Bond's nemesis. Neatly packed, enlarging the mystery within a mystery. But when it comes to Waltz who plays Blofled, I am in total agreement with you. Raises another question : For Fan's sake if Waltz got more footage, would it not take the charm out of the Bond Film ? I thought, "I am a visionary", summarises most of it about Blofled.

(And "Hello Pussy" was an excellent touch ... LoL)

the Bond franchise carefully chooses female leads that will be liked by both genders!

I second that.

pavalamani pragasam
12th November 2015, 10:14 AM
They say the original was in french, PP! Belated happy deepaavali to you! :)

Oh! French! I didn't listen properly when my sons talked about the original.(Not fully out of jet lag, I guess!)
Thanks and belated wishes to you, thamiz!

arulraj
12th November 2015, 11:55 AM
Watched vedalam in my ho.. theatre ... ennaththa solla sollavonnum illa...below average..Nothing is worked for me. ..:banghead:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 03:36 PM
சில்க் ஸ்மிதா அவர்கள், கமலை பார்த்து ஒரு விவகாரமான 'romantic look' மாதிரி ஒரு look in மூன்றாம் பிறை - அந்த scene கொஞ்சம் வயத்தை கலகிச்சு!

Lol, I still remember that

Julia Roberts? guess what, JR apparently is not exactly liked by a lot of women! seriously, thats why the Bond franchise carefully chooses female leads that will be liked by both genders!

Really any reason ?? What about Demi moore ? she got everything to be a bond girl !

Mr.GreyShirt
12th November 2015, 04:55 PM
Vedhalam - A very unintelligent movie filled with clichés and hero worship. A movie apt for Siva but not for Ajith. The innocent act and the transformation does not work at all especially when the transformed act does not resemble the flashback Ajith one bit.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 04:59 PM
Folks,

Kind request.... Why don't you post TV/VD reviews in the "Respective" threads?

thamiz
12th November 2015, 06:55 PM
Folks,

They do it, in order to avoid giving -ve reviews in the respective threads. You know how the fans will react! :smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 07:01 PM
They do it, in order to avoid giving -ve reviews in the respective threads. You know how the fans will react! :smile:

I know, but they should be able to handle "Constructive" criticism as well

thamiz
12th November 2015, 07:04 PM
***Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
By Taran Adarsh, 12 Nov 2015, 12:54 hrs IST
Rating: 4.5/5 |
4.5***

I have never seen this guy giving anything less than 4 stars for any "Khan" movies! He will be very stingy when it comes to any south indian actors. Are they in their "payroll"?

Nawaaz
12th November 2015, 09:14 PM
Folks,

Vendha punnula why to do it :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 09:18 PM
Any one seen "The Martian" ? IMDB has given good reviews !

Nawaaz
12th November 2015, 09:20 PM

Its a very good movie with logical scenes. Movie goes slow but a great one. Watch in 3D

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 09:22 PM
Its a very good movie with logical scenes. Movie goes slow but a great one. Watch in 3D

Ok, will do, even rotten tomatoes have given good reviews .

Arragesh
12th November 2015, 09:44 PM
To me it was okay. I felt a strong influence of Cast away and Gravity put together.
Nevertheless it is not bad either.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 09:46 PM
To me it was okay. I felt a strong influence of Cast away and Gravity put together.
Nevertheless it is not bad either.

Thanks,. I will most certainly watch it .

Arragesh
12th November 2015, 09:46 PM
I know, but they should be able to handle "Constructive" criticism as well
We have been telling this we are welcoming constructive criticism or Honest reviews in Vedalam thread but it is people with agenda posting it here.

From beginning we have shown that maturity of handling those.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2015, 09:56 PM
We have been telling this we are welcoming constructive criticism or Honest reviews in Vedalam thread but it is people with agenda posting it here.

From beginning we have shown that maturity of handling those.

I understand that, I have been in the hub longer than many (except Joe/ Nov) , but it is high time people change this attitude ...

venkkiram
12th November 2015, 10:14 PM
I understand that, I have been in the hub longer than many (except Joe/ Nov) , but it is high time people change this attitude ...

யாரு மாறனும்? ஒரு கலையை எப்படி ரசிக்கணும், போற்றனும் என்ற அடிப்படை அறிவு கொண்டவர்களா? இல்லாதவர்களா? இல்லை இதுபோன்ற பலரது சீற்றங்களுக்கு/அற்பங்களுக்கு மௌனமாக இருந்துவிட்டு குறிப்பிட்ட சிலவற்றில் மட்டும் மூக்கை நுழைத்து நடுநிலை நாட்டாமைத் தனத்தை வெளிக்காட்டுபவர்களா?

thamiz
12th November 2015, 10:20 PM
Raghu: Only you and I (two rajini fans) left here! Just move on buddy! It is not worth it. :)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th November 2015, 07:12 PM
Any one seen the movie "Burnt" any good ?

rifath
13th November 2015, 08:57 PM
Okay Ji! Cos sometimes fans can be a bit reactive towards such reviews! yhats why posted here! Enjoy the celebration!

ajaybaskar
14th November 2015, 12:06 PM
Vedhalam

A mindless masala which tests our patience throughout. I don't know what these directors think of the audiences while writing such scripts. Although i am not a fan of Hari, I admire him for one aspect. He doesn't allow the audience to think of logical loopholes in his films while we are watching it. He compensates with his racy screenplay and some fast camera movements. But in Vedhalam, neither the story is interesting nor the making is impressive.

The film does have some interesting scenes. But Siva has successfully made them look funny with some needless follow ups. Best example is the yacht scene. The transformation was kinda cool but the dance and facial expressions of Ajith that followed really split me up. Would any sane director do that with Ajith?

Let me not speak about Shruthi or Soori here. Would end up getting banned.

//Reading reports that the film has collected good in TN. If 'this' film is doing good at the BO, then Ajith has certainly hit a purple patch//

faithiu11
14th November 2015, 12:17 PM
Tats y I feel top actors should do commercial movies( even if its experimental)..even if its worse atleast hardcore fans will end up watching multiple times..

Mahen
14th November 2015, 12:55 PM
Vedhalam

A mindless masala which tests our patience throughout. I don't know what these directors think of the audiences while writing such scripts. Although i am not a fan of Hari, I admire him for one aspect. He doesn't allow the audience to think of logical loopholes in his films while we are watching it. He compensates with his racy screenplay and some fast camera movements. But in Vedhalam, neither the story is interesting nor the making is impressive.

The film does have some interesting scenes. But Siva has successfully made them look funny with some needless follow ups. Best example is the yacht scene. The transformation was kinda cool but the dance and facial expressions of Ajith that followed really split me up. Would any sane director do that with Ajith?

Let me not speak about Shruthi or Soori here. Would end up getting banned.

//Reading reports that the film has collected good in TN. If 'this' film is doing good at the BO, then Ajith has certainly hit a purple patch//

have to agree with that..in fact i have never missed any of his films..watched his poojai recently..after watching abt 20 mins, i couldnt move..watched till the end :oops: theres something abt his screenplay that makes me sit through his films..

Was has surudhi done to her lips? she looks awful now..her career is over..reminds me of bollywood anushka..

A.ANAND
14th November 2015, 02:04 PM
VEDHALAM

sorry to say..ana athan unmai...en vazhaikila entha padathyum theaterla paathu thoonganathey illa..vedhalam is fist..thala ippadi therikka thoonga viduvarunnu nenachu kuda pakkala..'annan thanggai pasamam'..tamill-la banned panni romba nalachu!!

Thoonggavanam innum pakkala..maybe today..

rifath
14th November 2015, 02:42 PM
Hari films have racy screenplay and decent logic in each scene! Only his fights and dialogues are exaggerated! And his comedy tracks are unwanted at times! Apart from that I love his movies!

interz
14th November 2015, 04:33 PM
Watching a Hari movie is like playing fifa football on amateur level u will always win like the hero does in Hari's movies. I dont even dare to think about how weak Villain will be in Singam III.

Nawaaz
14th November 2015, 04:55 PM
-deleted with warning-

rifath
14th November 2015, 07:00 PM
Agreed @interz
That I agree after saamy..I felt only singam1 had strong villain!

Mahen
16th November 2015, 06:03 AM
veeram on sun tv..many things worked in veeram which was not the same case for vedhalam..Masala quotient was just nice..comedy worked big time..ajit was composed..heroine was required and not forced into the script..my favourite scene is still and always be..changed ajith meeting tamannaah :oops: matured romaaance..

k_vanan
16th November 2015, 09:58 AM
Premam (malayalam)- superb movie with stunning performance from Sai Pallavi & Nivin pauly although remind me Cheran's Autoghaph

Sai Pallavi- OMG what a lovable teacher :wink:

another major highlights- songs :2thumbsup:

Mr.GreyShirt
21st November 2015, 07:16 AM
Watched Vedhalam again with my parents. My mom couldn't stop laughing at all the unintentional comedies through out the movie. Ajith really needs to cut all ties with Siva.

rifath
21st November 2015, 07:57 AM
Mockingjay was good! Even though this is the first hunger games film!

paranitharan
26th November 2015, 01:46 PM
Watched Puli on the local channel. The first time I watched I couldn't hear the dialogues because of trespassers. Our whole family laughed so hard throughout the movie. What an unintelligent piece of trash it was.

paranitharan
26th November 2015, 02:05 PM
Also rewatched mahanathi after 10 years. I didn't expect that I was not going to like the film. The music is still fresh but the film is outdated and is also manipulative.

balaajee
26th November 2015, 02:17 PM
Also rewatched mahanathi after 10 years. I didn't expect that I was not going to like the film. The music is still fresh but the film is outdated and is also manipulative.

?????

mappi
26th November 2015, 03:09 PM
Katthukutti (2015 : TAMIL : Drama)

Happened to watch Kathukutti yesterday. Sweetly suprised with the film for its impeccable dialogues. The mode of exposition where the camera switches between two groups of people as they receive the same information is excellent. Also, the movie carries a lot of Split dialogues and same conversation shared through vareities.

Kathukutti is about a rural youngster living on the lands threatened by methane exploitation. Eventhough the character and casting were not crisply done, they do point out at the raise of this youngster as the leader of the people. Few artists have brought out naturalism, notably the one who acts as Narain's father who reminds a lot Bharathiraja. Also the artist who comes as his uncle and the one who enacts the father of Srushti Dange. The comedy track works at several moments, but goes into a repetivie mode concentrating mostly on alcohol jokes. The film badly cries its need for Illayaraja, eventhough Aruldev does try to march forward with instrumentation alligning it with the rural backdrop. Many scenes were captrued excellently. At few instances the film gets preachy, Era Saravanan should have tried to express in a more polished and artistic manner.

I can safely recomend Kathukutti as a late evening movie.

Katthukutti - Awakener

George Thomas
28th November 2015, 07:21 AM
Any reviews on the tamil new releases?

Mahen
28th November 2015, 07:26 AM
Tamasha - semi crap..annoying first 30mins, then it was kinda ok..suddenly went into 3idiots mode and waned from thereon..arrahman beautiful songs were wasted in the film..

interz
29th November 2015, 08:51 PM
Inji Iduppazhagi/Size 0 - watchable if u go with 0 expectations

I wish this movie was made better, its a simple plot, but the usual cinema clicheed scenes and songs have spoiled it.

Nawaaz
30th November 2015, 09:51 AM
Inji Iduppazhagi - Crap. Movie was just 2hrs but couldn't tolerate those songs and needless scenes.
Anushka was there through out movie and Arya was like usual heroine role in typical tamil commercial movies :lol2:

littlemaster1982
14th December 2015, 02:27 PM
Inji Iduppazhagi - Crap. Movie was just 2hrs but couldn't tolerate those songs and needless scenes.
Anushka was there through out movie and Arya was like usual heroine role in typical tamil commercial movies :lol2:

No other film tested my patience like this in the past few years. Shabbaa!!

balaajee
14th December 2015, 02:43 PM
No other film tested my patience like this in the past few years. Shabbaa!!

I still can't understand what Director tries to convey.....Obesity | Cheating sliming institutes | Regular exercise keeps you healthy | Size zero | ........

littlemaster1982
14th December 2015, 04:20 PM
The film was written by the same lady who wrote Ra.One. Therinje poi maattikkitten :sigh2:

dell_gt
14th December 2015, 04:29 PM
Tamasha - semi crap..annoying first 30mins, then it was kinda ok..suddenly went into 3idiots mode and waned from thereon..arrahman beautiful songs were wasted in the film..

ahh to bad, was planning for this.. songs are nice..

PARAMASHIVAN
14th December 2015, 05:04 PM
Any one seen "Start wars- The force Awakens " yet ? any good ?

mappi
14th December 2015, 08:12 PM
Eetti (2015 : Tamil : 2h25m : Thriller (Sports, Drama, Action)]

Wirtten & Directed by Ravi Arasu starring Sri Divya & Atharva

http://file.inexplores.com/2015/12/eetti-tamil-movie-trailer.jpg

Eetti-the film, opens with a check - a doctor talking a language incomprehensible, but its understood that a boy carries a sort of a rare disease. From there, the movie straightly moves forward into the selection for National Games, where Pugazh & team from Tangaore, Tamilnadu win to get an entry. Another forward move, showing Gayathri's middle class family. And its here the knight move is brought in, where the story takes a bend with a gang interested in money as well as the Love of Pugazh.

Ravi Arasu with his team Saravanan Abhimanyu, Raja Mohammad, GVP and other supporting artists, (spl. mention to the bunch of fighting villains, the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Naren & Thirumurugan (Brother of Gayathri), has proposed a film which works in multiply ways notably the mixture of genres is truly appealing. Not plunging into a Docu-Drama about the struggle of a sportsman, Ravi Arasu has woven a tale keeping an entire different hurdle for our Hero to cross. The suspense elements focused in and out drives the movie neatly to the finish line. Eventhough 'day-to-day-young-man-life-with-friends' looks like a cut'n'paste from a Danush Starrer, the lead pair have the charm to sustain the interest. Saravanan Abhimanyu should be noted for his camera work, and Raja Mohammad's editing gels well with the script. GVP has tried an "EnthirNeechal", and makes his mark only during the climax - an excellent music piece follows the entire episode.

Atharva is GOLD. An obstacle racing runner, Atharava is just awesome as the hurdling athlete. Two songs go for him to showcase his preparation and skills. And two stunt sequences enlarge Atharva, esp. the interval block. He dances, romances, fights, handles humour, looks sharp, speaks with his eyes and then RUNS. It's glad to see an artist who has portrayed a believable athlete. Atharva should do more films.

To keep it short - Not in comparison but just to draw your attention, I recommend Eetti for those who like Suseendran's or Vetrimaran's earlier works.

And Mr. Ravi Arasu, please bring in Eetti-2, Tamilnadu going International this time, yeah !

Eetti - Cocktail sans Alcool.

dell_gt
14th December 2015, 09:35 PM
Any one seen "Start wars- The force Awakens " yet ? any good ?

should be release on Dec 17th bro

PARAMASHIVAN
14th December 2015, 09:40 PM
should be release on Dec 17th bro

Oh Lol, I thought it was already released :oops:

Nawaaz
15th December 2015, 09:55 AM
Eeti - Good one. First half was good. 2nd half could have been handled better. Atharva :thumbsup: Looked well toned and energetic :clap:
Sri divya too was good in her part :) . Hurdles scenes camera work and bgm was too good .Worth a watch

144 - Nothing much. Comedies here and there were good. Time pass one

PARAMASHIVAN
15th December 2015, 04:12 PM
Star war looks promising ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35087192

ajaybaskar
15th December 2015, 06:54 PM
Eetti - Formulaic. But impresses because of racy screenplay and the hero. Adharva, with his chiselled body, looks dashing. Wish he gets more such films to stay long in this field.

balaajee
15th December 2015, 08:15 PM
Eetti - Formulaic. But impresses because of racy screenplay and the hero. Adharva, with his chiselled body, looks dashing. Wish he gets more such films to stay long in this field.

All he need is one BIG HIT...

balaajee
18th December 2015, 04:33 PM
Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2
Similar flavor like installment 1

Pros:
• Boy's pain portrayed naturally
• Few minute long monologue by a lead character( Something similar to VIP Dhanush)
• Beginning & Conclusion scene.

If you like installment 1, you can go for 2.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th December 2015, 04:52 PM
It seems Thangamagan is not being shown in UK, can some one confirm it please ?

Mahen
18th December 2015, 07:49 PM
Thangaman..not bad..screenplay was good and didnt feel bored..Not as good as VIP but still worth a watch..TM 'yemotion' konjam kammi..there were no solid touching scenes..some konjam melodramatic.

mexicomeat
19th December 2015, 06:26 PM
thangamagan - had some funny moments and nice romantic scenes.

apart from that, it is yet another 'maari'. did not enjoy the second half at all.

Srimannarayanan
19th December 2015, 11:40 PM
Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2
Similar flavor like installment 1

Pros:
• Boy's pain portrayed naturally
• Few minute long monologue by a lead character( Something similar to VIP Dhanush)
• Beginning & Conclusion scene.

If you like installment 1, you can go for 2.

Is it worth a watch ?

balaajee
20th December 2015, 05:48 AM
Is it worth a watch ?

If you like installment 1, can go for 2.

balaajee
20th December 2015, 05:36 PM
Thangamagan
Definitely far better than MARI.

Pros:
•Danush
• Amy(first half)
• K.S. Ravikumar

Cons:
•80's feel
•Samantha(nothing against her acting) her look/appearance(Transformation from naan EE to TM,) like the way Michel Jackson transformed.

PS: am not a Danush fan
(lot of liplock & smooching...Can give a title to Danush as South indian Emraan Hashmi)

nickraman
20th December 2015, 08:14 PM
Thangamagan. Follows same VIP template. Dhanush ventures through safe territory as family man/carefree youngster. Second half lags and the punches in places were not needed. Average overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

balaajee
21st December 2015, 11:07 AM
Uppu Karuvaadu - From the director Mozhi

Gouravam (2013 film) was bad, this one is worst.

Mahen
21st December 2015, 11:20 AM
Gouravam was horrible..i thought the reviews were decent for UK..eepida iruntha radhamohan, ippidi ayitaru :(

Bajrangi bhaijaan..watched 1st half..very entertaining..2nd half to be continued weekend

ajaybaskar
21st December 2015, 11:23 AM
Uppu Karuvaadu was OKish. Some comedies worked well for me.

balaajee
21st December 2015, 12:08 PM
Uppu Karuvaadu was OKish. Some comedies worked well for me.

Its more or less like lollu sabha / stage drama.

PARAMASHIVAN
21st December 2015, 03:37 PM
watched Pathu enrathukulla... Not as bad as I expected, it looked more like melodrama and was tedious .. Vikram has put on weight! Samantha was good

selvakumar
21st December 2015, 06:46 PM
I thought Gouravam was a good time pass. Had low expectation and bad feel initially, but it was OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOV
21st December 2015, 07:27 PM
Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Amazing... awesome... beyond expectations.... takes us back to those glorious days...

Thanga Magan

Not as good as VIP but better than Maari
Thankfully Amy had more scope than Samantha.
First time lots of kissing scenes were uncensored in Malaysia :p

Russellvzp
21st December 2015, 08:15 PM
Thangamagan

(lot of liplock & smooching...Can give a title to Danush as [B]South indian Emraan Hashmi)[/SIZE]

felt so boring but need to appreciate for the decent effort.

but rendu heroinayum pottu ipdi pannirukkapla.. but i wonder how it managed U certificate:confused2:

Mr.GreyShirt
21st December 2015, 09:33 PM
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was glorious. It had its flaws but they were pushed aside by how amazing the rest of the film was; just like the first movie. It is worth a watch even if you are not a big fan of Star Wars.

Parthyy
22nd December 2015, 01:48 AM
Dont understand these hype hoopla fuss about Star wars..havent seen any of these...is that much worth the ?

Nawaaz
22nd December 2015, 10:07 AM
Yes so much of hype for star wars. My few friends saying have to watch only in IMAX. I just want to know apadi enna thaan padathula iruku

Nawaaz
22nd December 2015, 10:10 AM
Thangamagan - Just for Dhanush enjoying the heroines in the movie, nothing much. BGM was ok. But those dialogues in 2nd half were of no sense.
Okiesh movie. Gave a serial watching effect in few scenes.

balaajee
22nd December 2015, 11:41 AM
Yes so much of hype for star wars. My few friends saying have to watch only in IMAX. I just want to know apadi enna thaan padathula iruku

'ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ்: தி ஃபோர்ஸ் அவேகன்ஸ்' வசூல் சாதனை

உலகின் பல நாடுகளில் வெளியான 'ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ்-7' திரைப்படம் மிகப் பெரிய வசூல் சாதனையை படைத்துள்ளது. 80-களில் ஹாலிவுட்டையே புரட்டிப் போட்ட திரைப்படம் 'ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ்'. தலைமுறைகளைக் கடந்து ரசிகர்களைப் பெற்றுள்ள 'ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ்' படங்கள் இது வரை மொத்தம் 6 பாகங்கள் வெளியாகியுள்ளன. இதோடு ஒரு அனிமேஷன் திரைப்படமும் வெளியாகியுள்ளது.

உலக அளவில் ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ் பட ரசிகர்களால் பெரிதும் எதிர்ப்பார்க்கப்பட்ட ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ் திரைப்படத்தின் 7-வது பாகம் 'ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ்: தி ஃபோர்ஸ் அவேகன்ஸ்' என்ற பெயரில் ஜே.ஜே. ஆப்ராம்ஸ் இயக்கத்தில் கடந்த வெள்ளிக்கிழமை வெளியானது.

வெளியான முதல் வாரத்தில் இந்தப் படம் உலக அளவில் 3,30 கோடியே 88 லட்சம் ($517) டாலர்கள் வசூலை வாரிக் குவித்துள்ளது. இது இதற்கு முன்னர் வெளியாகி வசூல் சாதனைப் படைத்த 'தி ஜுராஸிக் வேர்ல்ட்' படத்தை விட சற்று குறைவாகும்.

உலக அளவில் 30,000-க்கும் மேற்பட்ட திரையரங்குகளில் ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ் வெளியாகியுள்ளது. ஒட்டுமொத்தமாக ஜெர்மனி, இங்கிலாந்து, ஆஸ்திரேலியா, ரஷ்யா உள்ளிட்ட நாடுகளில் ஸ்டார் வார்ஸுக்கு ரசிகர்களின் வரவேற்பு அமோகமாக உள்ளது.

இதற்கு முன் இத்தகைய வசூல் சாதனையை 'ஜுராஸிக் வேர்ல்ட்', ஹாரி பாட்டர் போன்ற படங்கள் பெற்றிருந்தன. அவை அனைத்தையும் ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ் 7 முறியடித்துள்ளது.
இன்னும் ஸ்டார் வார்ஸ் திரைப்படம் இந்தியா உள்ளிட்ட நாடுகளில் வெளியாகவில்லை. கிறுஸ்துமஸ் தினத்தில் வெளியாக திட்டமிடப்பட்டுள்ள நிலையில் மேலும் படத்தின் வசூல் குவிய வாய்ப்புள்ளது.

mappi
23rd December 2015, 03:02 PM
Parthyy,

Star Wars is not a movie about good guys versus bad guys, Star Wars is an universe.

Keeping aside 'in one's own view' - personally I was never intrigued with Star Wars, for that I am not a fan of Sci-Fi movies; all that I could retain about Star Wars were "Tubelight Sword Fight', the Yellow Font/opening credits and the laser noises - keeping individual likeness aside, there are many reason as to why Star Wars is an exemplary cult film which cannot be erased by any time line, also should not be missed.

- Star Wars is the first Sci-Fi Fantasy Original film. The rest before & after were adaptations from either books or comics. Star Wars has original plot, characters, music, make-up, space ships, robots, helmets ... and also the special effects. It is a legacy where several cameras were used to create the effects and maximise the movie theatre experience, several years before Matrix. The music in particular is intense. It had taken the sleep away from many kids for several years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv5sPu0C1E

- Star Wars used several catchy and new terms that got instantly registered with the audience, a few are - Sith, Jedi, Quest, Galaxy, Old Republic, Princess (a very newer than Disney), Master, Clone, The Dark Side, Admiral, Yoda, Jabba, R2-D2, Darth Vader, King Adas, Princess Lea, Queen Apailana ... etc., Just go through the character names/terms, they all will be fabulous. Also, check Star Wars Family Tree, thats how Star Wars in a part of the spectator's social life.

- Star Wars is a prime blockbuster. The word 'Blockbuster' is terribly misused now-a-days. Keeping its sense intact, Star Wars is a major Blockbuster of Hollywood, which changed the vision and culture of filming, projecting and marketing. Amoungst the films like GodFather & French Connection followed by 2001 A Space Odyssey & Jaws, Star Wars revoked all the existing definitions and brought in a new experience for movie goers. It changed the perspective of investments and is a prime reason why Hollywood is more a money minting industry now, a technic introduced by Star Wars Franchise.

- Star Wars did not put together any team. It was a movie made for fun. Rumours say that the sequel was made when Lucas wanted to demerit the first film's sucess to his ex-wife. When the ideas were not quite accepted, Lucas & Firends created their own special effects studio in a garage, the company later bought by Disney in 2012.

- The characters in Star Wars left an impact that it became a part of social life. The fictional Universe was experienced by fans and they started to beleive its existance. It did lock generations of audience with its charm, that no other film or series had captivated till date.

- The experience that Star Wars delivered was unique, contemporary audience cannot imagine how big Star Wars is. Even before the digital Avatar was graced by the audience, Star Wars already was standing tall.

- Star Wars opted for the first time a new & effective Marketing, a first in Hollywood - right from napkins to door mats, there was a character or space-ship model embedded on it. A strategy later adopted and aggressively used by Disney. Star Wars created a mode, or rightly put a fashion, for itself and establised a parallel culture.

- Popularity of Darth Vader (who utters the famous punch line in the movie "I am your Father") can be noticed on the facade of the National Cathedral in Washington.

"I am your Father" Scene ripped for Orginal VHS (VHS is always awesome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbjru5CQIW4

- Curiosity - Star Wars Episode 1 poster. I personally consider it to be in the list of top 100 Film Poster of the Century.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--agL7BzRR--/rwc0ckmxdeoxysztllmi.jpg

There are much much more on/about Star Wars. History cannot be contained in paragraphs, as its something much beyond. So I end here, assuring myself that I have tried my bit to explain. As I am not a fan of the series, I cannot comment on the latest Reboot - Star Wars The Force Awakens, but rest assured its no less than a spectacular (highly depends on theatre where its screened/watched). If you wish, I can rewrite few more pages about Mad Max Fury Road (LoL).

Mr.GreyShirt
23rd December 2015, 03:39 PM
What hooked me to Star Wars was the first movie was very space western. Even though the new movie wasn't like that, it still had very entertaining scenes and great characters. Ray is like a mix of both Luke and Han.

mappi
23rd December 2015, 04:12 PM
"Space Western", exactly it is.

The whole set-up and the design is Medieval. Like in a genre bender, the middle age is quite well mingled in Star Wars, Period Fantasy to Sci-Fi Fantasy - the sword fights, costumes esp. cloaks, vast and vaccant lands, only one mode of transport, slaves-robots and feudalistic Empire structure, monsters, creatures, warriors, sect-sith ... etc.

EDIT : On a side note, a 'hors-recommendation' category, meaning a movie not for everyone : Hard to Be a God (Russian : Trudno byt' bogom).
An amazing creative idea of a parallel universe stuck in time. Scientist land up there just to find that the age of the space is Medieval. Violent & Gruesome, I found the movie awesome, but still not recomended for everyone - I tell it to you Mr.GreyShirt, as we have shared few details about Middle Age music, maybe you will find this movie interesting.

mexicomeat
23rd December 2015, 04:32 PM
mappi, i have not watched any of the star wars movies yet.

in which order should i start watching them? 4 5 6 1 2 3 7 or 1 2 3 4 5 6 7?

Parthyy
23rd December 2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks mappi,great heads up to Star Wars ...
can understand now Y it has such following....will try to watch this week

mappi
23rd December 2015, 07:58 PM
Mexicomeat,

If you wish to 'virtually time travel', get to see how the initial movies - the original trilogy - were made and then walk into the digital world to sweep through the 3 prequel episodes to get the best experience of Star Wars Galaxy, the best option is to catch Star Wars in the order of the its release - 1977, 1980, 1983 & 1999, 2002, 2005. And then 2015.

Episode VII is a sequel, so it should be the last to be watched in the series. It has got two more installements to come (Episodes VIII & IX).

But Star Wars does tell a story about a Father, a Son & an Empire, and it obviously holds the mother of all twists, a twist that gave nightmares to many. Unfortunately if you had consulted even one website talking about the movie, you should now be exposed to this amazing twist. Assuming you are ready to catch the plot and see how its actually unfolding, then there is definitely an order to be watched which assures the suspense and simultaneously introduces several new characters and their bondings. This order should ensure the interest and could enhance the humour quotient in the series, while gaurding the mystery intact. The below arrangement is suggested by several Star Wars fans, that I recomend too :

Episode IV: A New Hope (original trilogy)
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (original trilogy)
Episode I: The Phantom Menace (prequel trilogy)
Episode II: Attack of the Clones (prequel trilogy)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (prequel trilogy)
Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (original trilogy)
Episode VII: The Force Awakens (sequel trilogy)

Foot note :

Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
Luke, an young boy, teams up with certain valliant people to save Leia, the Princess of a distant Galaxy, from Darth Vader, an imperial commander from the Galactic Empire.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes (1980)
The Empire has chased the rebels but their leaders, including Luke are still on the run whom Darth Vader wants to capture.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
In a battle somewhere in the past, a young boy named Anakin rises, whom the wise beleive would be the one who would bring the balance to the Force, at the same time a dormant sect called the Sith resurrects.

Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Teen Anakin is in love, but not aware of the oncomming danger, an army of clones to destroy his faithful house of Jedi.

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Young Anakin enters into the world of deception as he tries to embrace his family life, but the evil plans of the Senators & Chancellors extract something entirely different out of Anakin when he enters the Dark Side of the Force.

Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi(1983)
Death Star, built by the Empire, is a threat to the Galaxy which the rebels try to destroy, while Luke faces Darth Vader at the Dark Side of the Force.

Episode VII: The Force Awakens(2015)
Around some 30 years later, the First Order tries its hold over the Galactic Empire, and this time a new form of resistence rises.

Arvind Srinivasan
23rd December 2015, 08:52 PM
Mexicomeat,

If you wish to 'virtually time travel', get to see how the initial movies - the original trilogy - were made and then walk into the digital world to sweep through the 3 prequel episodes to get the best experience of Star Wars Galaxy, the best option is to catch Star Wars in the order of the its release - 1977, 1980, 1983 & 1999, 2002, 2005. And then 2015.

Episode VII is a sequel, so it should be the last to be watched in the series. It has got two more installements to come (Episodes VIII & IX).

But Star Wars does tell a story about a Father, a Son & an Empire, and it obviously holds the mother of all twists, a twist that gave nightmares to many. Unfortunately if you had consulted even one website talking about the movie, you should now be exposed to this amazing twist. Assuming you are ready to catch the plot and see how its actually unfolding, then there is definitely an order to be watched which assures the suspense and simultaneously introduces several new characters and their bondings. This order should ensure the interest and could enhance the humour quotient in the series, while gaurding the mystery intact. The below arrangement is suggested by several Star Wars fans, that I recomend too :

Episode IV: A New Hope (original trilogy)
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (original trilogy)
Episode I: The Phantom Menace (prequel trilogy)
Episode II: Attack of the Clones (prequel trilogy)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (prequel trilogy)
Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (original trilogy)
Episode VII: The Force Awakens (sequel trilogy)

Foot note :

Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
Luke, an young boy, teams up with certain valliant people to save Leia, the Princess of a distant Galaxy, from Darth Vader, an imperial commander from the Galactic Empire.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes (1980)
The Empire has chased the rebels but their leaders, including Luke are still on the run whom Darth Vader wants to capture.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
In a battle somewhere in the past, a young boy named Anakin rises, whom the wise beleive would be the one who would bring the balance to the Force, at the same time a dormant sect called the Sith resurrects.

Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Teen Anakin is in love, but not aware of the oncomming danger, an army of clones to destroy his faithful house of Jedi.

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Young Anakin enters into the world of deception as he tries to embrace his family life, but the evil plans of the Senators & Chancellors extract something entirely different out of Anakin when he enters the Dark Side of the Force.

Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi(1983)
Death Star, built by the Empire, is a threat to the Galaxy which the rebels try to destroy, while Luke faces Darth Vader at the Dark Side of the Force.

Episode VII: The Force Awakens(2015)
Around some 30 years later, the First Order tries its hold over the Galactic Empire, and this time a new form of resistence rises.

While I don't look much into a Star Wars flick like say a David Lynch/PTA movie, I really find it hard to overlook the plot holes surrounding "The Force awakens". The movie taps the right buttons, traverses the path that made the original trilogy such a huge hit but it misses the mark in widening the Star Wars Universe, in creating that one little opportunity to have an identity of its own . That's what the Star Wars franchise requires. A movie which retains the essence of the original but with its own novelty.Not an almost look alike film of the original with zero originality. Safe to say my understanding of the force has gone for a toss after watching this.

Mr.GreyShirt
23rd December 2015, 09:31 PM
"Space Western", exactly it is.

The whole set-up and the design is Medieval. Like in a genre bender, the middle age is quite well mingled in Star Wars, Period Fantasy to Sci-Fi Fantasy - the sword fights, costumes esp. cloaks, vast and vaccant lands, only one mode of transport, slaves-robots and feudalistic Empire structure, monsters, creatures, warriors, sect-sith ... etc.

EDIT : On a side note, a 'hors-recommendation' category, meaning a movie not for everyone : Hard to Be a God (Russian : Trudno byt' bogom).
An amazing creative idea of a parallel universe stuck in time. Scientist land up there just to find that the age of the space is Medieval. Violent & Gruesome, I found the movie awesome, but still not recomended for everyone - I tell it to you Mr.GreyShirt, as we have shared few details about Middle Age music, maybe you will find this movie interesting.

Sounds interesting. I will give it a watch.

balaajee
24th December 2015, 03:15 PM
Boologam - kudos for the attempt !

Tamil Movies with boxing as for as i remember
• Kaavalkaaran
• Kadhal parisu
• Vetrimel Vetri. 1989
• Badri (kick boxing)
• Maan Karate
this movie is diff from all these.

Pros:
• Jayam RAVI whole movie is on him, an excellent job.
• Debutante director (like guru is the sishyan bit spoon feeding)
• Dialogues

Cons:
• bit Amateurish

Result of the movie- can't guess, but whole theater enjoyed the show.

NOV
24th December 2015, 04:43 PM
Pasanga 2

Feel good movie, must be watched by parents of young children.

The hyper active children will have you laughing out loud.

Gets a little preachy towards the end, but still doesn't test the patience.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

interz
25th December 2015, 05:41 PM
Thangamagan - zzz

Felt like wathing 4 episodes of a serial. Total borefest. Songs were good but too short. Overall very dissapointing movie.

ajaybaskar
25th December 2015, 06:31 PM
Inji Iduppazhagi, 144

Terrible.. Please avoid

mexicomeat
26th December 2015, 08:54 AM
watched inji iduppazhagi and 144 yesterday (same pinch ajay)

both were horrible.

if you look at the end credits of 144, you can see that the music director has used spanish orchestra and spent $$$$ on the music.... spanish orchestra for a low budget movie that has siva has the hero? obviously the producer has got his priorities wrong. he should spent $$$$ on fixing the weak story line instead.

A.ANAND
26th December 2015, 01:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKoBjl7cmEQ

mexicomeat
26th December 2015, 08:23 PM
had nothing better to do - so watched a vikraman movie released last year.

movie was mokkai but definitely better than some of the mokkais i have watched this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipj0KI0J99Y

ajaybaskar
31st December 2015, 12:31 PM
Creed

I think this is the best film in the Rocky series after the first part. Credit to Stallone for playing the second fiddle to Jordan in spite of being the central character of the iconic series.

The camera work for the Adonis vs Leo match in the middle of the film alone is worthy enuf to book your tickets. The whole fight has been shot literally with no cuts and when watched in theatre, it was one experience!!

On the downside, there is nothing unpredictable about the story. Its the same 'coming from behind' theme common with most Rocky films but the screenplay makes us sit through in spite of this being the lengthiest of all the Rocky films, with a runtime of around 130 minutes

balaajee
4th January 2016, 02:30 PM
Malai Nerathu Mayakkam - pathetic

• Can't complaint on adult scenes/ dialogues as movie is "A Certified".
• There are much better movies in Tamil in same gender.
• Hero's mannerism & dialogue delivery resemble Kathir character of 7G Rainbow colony(I love that movie).
• Heroine character miss-matches at different places.
• Movie looks artificial at places.
• Climax seems forced & urgent.

Hope Selvaraganvan will be back to form in his next visit.

PARAMASHIVAN
4th January 2016, 03:42 PM
finally managed to watch "Thoongavanam", certainly a relief from the masala craps we get bombarded with !! No need to mention about Kamal's performance , such roles are a walk in the park for him, I felt Prakash Raj was wasted , having said that his acting mannerism is becoming monotonous , Trisha was good , who was the "other" girl ? :lol2:

I felt had the movie been trimmed down or been made a bit more racy, it would have been awesome !

interz
4th January 2016, 05:18 PM
The other girl in Thoongavanam is Madhu Shalini, she acted in Bala's Avan Ivan aswell.

balaajee
4th January 2016, 05:37 PM
The other girl in Thoongavanam is Madhu Shalini, she acted in Bala's Avan Ivan aswell.

Both the films she is not needed...

PARAMASHIVAN
4th January 2016, 06:48 PM

ok, but in Avan Ivan she did not look as glamorous as she did in TV :)

mexicomeat
8th January 2016, 07:08 PM
malai nerathu mayakkam - it is different. i didn't like ok kanmani but i liked this movie. obviously, this is not a movie for every one.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th January 2016, 07:26 PM
I wanted to watch "malai nerathu mayakkam" , for some reason fewer and fewer films are being shown in Cinemas ! :| Guess I have to wait for the DVD then ..

Cinemarasigan
11th January 2016, 10:26 AM
^Do you think someone will be ready to release a DVD for this one?

interz
17th January 2016, 03:01 AM
Rajini Murugan - predictable movie.

Reasons to watch the movie:
- If you like watch a movie where you know whats gonna happen from beginning till the end
- If you are fan of Sivakarthikeyan
- If you like to watch heroine sans glamour
- If you like one liner jokes

Reasons not to watch the movie:
- story has been in recycle bin 1000 of times
- dummy villain
- NRIs always being portrayed as shallow and stereotype
- D. Imaan BGM & Songs
- In movies like these hero is invulnerable, even God cant hurt him
- No interesting plot twists.

interz
18th January 2016, 01:02 AM
Kathakazhi - just kazhi.

A movie that could have been a great movie but ruined by slow first have and weak plot twist. The love portions made me yawn. Karunaas is back to his usual himself being nonfunny. Hip Hop Aadhi's music is very noisy and not helping the movie in any case. I strongly request directors to use MDs who are capable of doing good BGM, edm/trap/dubstep are being overly used by the young MDs IMO.

What made me watch the whole movie was the mystery of the unknown murder, but after it was revealed, I felt like is this the best you can do Pandiraj?

PARAMASHIVAN
18th January 2016, 03:46 PM
^Do you think someone will be ready to release a DVD for this one?

Not sure ..

kubrick
18th January 2016, 11:49 PM
Rajini Murugan

I started the film laughing to the one liners and surprisingly at Soori's reactions and counters too (Not a soori fan at all), but it was just too much to bear as the film started wavering here and there for absolutely no reason.

I watched VVS first time and dint like it too, but now after watching the scenes now and again I find it to be a funny film. But this movie was an utter waste of time because the writers have not invested any time in writing the screenplay.

If you think that you can keep some exciting scenes here and there and make up for lack of story at, sorry boss not happening.

The heroine too looks very normal, Divya looks normal too but she has something that we can accept as an actress in a film. This girl, no and she is literally too broad on the shoulders to be a pretty broad.

The director seems to have absolutely no confidence in Sivakarthikeyan at all. He is outwardly shown as a weak actor which in turn tell us how much hold the director has on his craft. They have confused serious scenes with comedy and not even in the good Dark Comedy way, which seems to be working brilliantly well in recent Tamil films.

Watched it in a very mediocre theater and the audience were enjoying this film so much. I came out shocked. But that is the power of a star, Sivakarthikeyan today is a star. So was Ramarajan at a point. Hope Sivakarthikeyan understands the importance of acting, instead of always relying on a formula.

ababasenuupam
19th January 2016, 10:02 AM
Rajini Murugan

... it was just too much to bear as the film started wavering here and there for absolutely no reason.

The director seems to have absolutely no confidence in Sivakarthikeyan at all....

Sivakarthikeyan today is a star. So was Ramarajan at a point.

:rotfl::rotfl:

mexicomeat
19th January 2016, 02:16 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

A group of indigenous people, the Sentinelese, live on North Sentinel Island (Andaman). Their population is estimated to range from 50 to 400 individuals.The Sentinelese reject any contact with other people, and are among the last people to remain virtually untouched by modern civilization. The population faces the potential threats of infectious diseases to which they have no immunity, as well as violence from intruders. The Indian government has thus declared the entire Island, which is approximately the size of Manhattan, and its surrounding waters extending three miles from the island, to be an exclusion zone.

On 26 January 2006, two fishermen were killed by Sentinelese when their boat drifted near the island.

perfect set up for a future bala movie? a sentinelese tribal coming to tamil nadu - fish out of water - kills villian - goes back to island. a film by bala.

PARAMASHIVAN
19th January 2016, 03:31 PM
Ramarajan at a point
One of luckiest guy made famous by the legendary Isai Gnani !
There were few of these types in the 80's , but managed to survive because of IR + SPB

balaajee
19th January 2016, 04:00 PM
One of luckiest guy made famous by the legendary Isai Gnani !
There were few of these types in the 80's , but managed to survive because of IR + SPB

Survival of a HERO is not decided by Music Dir & playback singers...

PARAMASHIVAN
19th January 2016, 04:07 PM
Survival of a HERO is not decided by Music Dir & playback singers...

What I meant was(IMHO) IR songs contributes enormously towards the likes of Ramarajan, Mohan ... etc :)

ababasenuupam
19th January 2016, 05:20 PM
What I meant was(IMHO) IR songs contributes enormously towards the likes of Ramarajan, Mohan ... etc :)

True. Movies ran just for the sake of music. No way for actors like Rama rajan and Mohan can survive today. They will end up being troll material like Power star. Especially Rama rajan. :lol2:

Mahen
20th January 2016, 05:52 AM
Kathakali very good until the last 5 mins..oru thadaiyara thaaka patha mathiri oru feeling..pandiraj went overboard with the twists..when the final twist was revealed, I was like what??!! it became illogical..he could have stopped at one point..

ababasenuupam
20th January 2016, 08:09 AM
What's the box office looking like for kathakali?

balaajee
20th January 2016, 11:54 AM
Kathakali very good until the last 5 mins..oru thadaiyara thaaka patha mathiri oru feeling..pandiraj went overboard with the twists..when the final twist was revealed, I was like what??!! it became illogical..he could have stopped at one point..

YES,
After Marina & Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga had 0% hope on Pandiraj but he proved me wrong...we can forgive last five minutes for rest 2 hrs...

If I rate Pongal movies

1. Kathakali - Gripping entertainer
2. Tharai Thapattai - big letdown (I like Bala of Sethu, Pithamagan & Nandha.)
3. Rajini Murugan - Nothing new nor interesting
4. Geethu - Sondha kaasil sooniyam (even though its his grandpa looted money)

interz
20th January 2016, 05:44 PM
Gethu - slow and predictable.

So far this year I managed to watch 3 average movies. Gethu is not a disaster but not overwhelming either. More than the story & screenplay Harris BGM annoyed me, what is he trying to do , give everyone heartattack?

k_vanan
30th January 2016, 06:05 PM
Aranmanai 2- boring

Sunder c try to play safe but totally fail here.. Repeat aranmanai 1 same story n comedy. aranmanai 1 at least some good comedy by santhanam.

ajaybaskar
30th January 2016, 06:40 PM
Aranmanai 2

Neither the comedy nor the horror element worked out for me. Sundar normally compensates his weak storylines with good humor. But the comedy falls flat right from the start.

I think its time to put an end card to horror films in tamil cinema.

mappi
30th January 2016, 09:00 PM
Aranmanai 2

Aranmanai 2

The Pey story, esp. towards the end, is similar to NH10 core plot, but HN10 was more bitter.

I was expecting Manobala character as an extention to his absent-minded role from Part 1. His encounter with the Pey on the bus was hillarious though. Soori strikes his English again by introducing new vocabulary/term - Komala 'imisuu'. Few places he was funny. C Sundar added more flour this time, and when Kushboo came in, all wickets out, that was the most hillarious part apart from the ghosts & shadows becoming a joke. Atleast we had wet Andrea in Aranmanai 1 climax, here we are forced to settle with Siddarth in his tight tops.

Still the change from Trisha to Hansika back to Trisha was cool. I found the nambodari 'gapsas' funny, but at the same interesting, C Sundar still got few of his touches intact, esp. narrative dialog editing.

Aranmanai 2 - Identical Twins

balaajee
30th January 2016, 11:01 PM
Trisha : Aranmanai 2/ Kalaavathi !!!http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/04/1454165547-tr.jpg-------------------------------Aranmanai 2 !!!Aranmanai 2, extraordinary opening. Day 1, Friday Rs 5.22 Cr from 355 screens in TN. !!! http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/04/1454165626-df.jpg

interz
31st January 2016, 12:20 AM
Aranmanai 2 - Needs some renovation

This movie has all Sundar C movie ingredients: comedy, glamour, Sundar C. movie artists, unusual witty characters, revenge, plot twist and a simple story. The movie didnt feel lenghty at all, from beginning till end its scare tacticts. I did enjoy watching this movie except for the graphics and songs. The graphics seems worse than amman movies from 90s. And this Hip Hop Aadhi duo is getting on my nerves. The selfcentred MDs are more focussing on personal success as a singer than give others opportunities to sing. The bgm was apt for a horror movie though.

balaajee
31st January 2016, 04:08 PM
Moondraam Ullaga Por - amateurish

its not easy to make patriotic movies...

balaajee
31st January 2016, 04:22 PM
Irudhi Suttru Review By Prashanth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMyMCooprk

Aranmanai 2 Review by Prashanth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjOQk_eGrw

Moondram Ulaga Por review by prashanth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBX7zLBCjdY

interz
31st January 2016, 08:58 PM
3rd world war (tamil) - good title, crappy movie

Me: Venam...venam... valikkuthu azhuthuduvan.

The movie looked like a propoganda movie against China from beginning till end with amateur graphics seen in c grade movies. I didnt expect Akhila Kishore act in the movie, is her career gone haywards since she accepted this movie? The movie is a no-go.

mexicomeat
1st February 2016, 01:42 PM
Kuttram Kadithal

what a movie.. loved it.. no surprise the movie won a national award.

the guy who played viji in madras acted really well in this movie.

balaajee
1st February 2016, 03:29 PM
Kuttram Kadithal

what a movie.. loved it.. no surprise the movie won a national award.

the guy who played viji in madras acted really well in this movie.

What a change over... viji in madras....Just a khaki dress & specks...

balaajee
4th February 2016, 03:04 PM
Iruthi Sutru- After Run its iruthi sutru for Madhavan

Pros:
• Madhavan, Debutant Heroine & Naazar
• Engaging screenplay
• Climax Madhavan & Heroine performance
• Happy ending
• Music

Cons:
• To me Chennai is shown in bad light

balaajee
4th February 2016, 10:18 PM
இறுதிச்சுற்று ரித்திகாசிங் மதியின் நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை (வீடியோ இணைப்பு)

இறுதிச்சுற்று ரித்திகா ஒரு நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை வீராங்கனை என்பதைப் பேட்டிகளில் பார்த்தோம். இதோ.. நான்கு வருடங்களுக்கு முன் அவர் கலந்து கொண்ட ஒரு நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVvuC6ET_M

NOV
5th February 2016, 06:50 PM
Visaaranai

Raw, hard hitting dark movie.
The longest two hours of my life - such was the agony and pain of witnessing the happenings.
Fantastic performances by all, from Dinesh to Samuthrakani and every single actor.

Chilling background score, and realistic cinematography made it even worse.

First time ever in Tamil movies - No title credits - straight to the movie!
No songs, no fights, no nonsense - pure straightforward story-telling.

Kudos to Vetrimaran, Kudos to Danush!
engeyo poyiteenga!

mexicomeat
5th February 2016, 09:42 PM
nov - i am in two minds.. should i watch visaranai with family or not? is it too gory like paradesi or tharai thappattai? or reasonably ok for family audience?

raagadevan
6th February 2016, 03:47 AM
According to a review in The Hindu, "Visaranai is an adult movie—not just in the sense of its content being thoroughly unsuitable for children but also in its refusal to treat the audience like children. The language, too, is refreshingly grown-up—though not in the censored version you’re seeing in theatres now. The beeping out is grim affirmation that the Censor Board is another avatar of the System."

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/cinema-reviews/visaranai-a-powerful-chilling-drama-about-how-the-system-toys-with-us/article8200022.ece?homepage=true

NOV
6th February 2016, 05:24 AM
nov - i am in two minds.. should i watch visaranai with family or not? is it too gory like paradesi or tharai thappattai? or reasonably ok for family audience?the difference between bala's movies and this one is, this is much nearer home and could happen to any one of us.

Nothing gory or depressing but the brutality is too real.

It's rated 18 here and definitely not suitable for children.
I doubt even women can take it.

balaajee
6th February 2016, 08:07 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2683531049/9af7a788d02aa038771e028251436145_bigger.jpeg karthik subbaraj ‏@karthiksubbaraj (https://twitter.com/karthiksubbaraj) 13h13 hours ago (https://twitter.com/karthiksubbaraj/status/695602141595987968)
#Visaaranai (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Visaaranai?src=hash) is a hard hitting tale about the flaws in system.. SUPER performances and top class filmmaking by @VetriMaaran (https://twitter.com/VetriMaaran) sir and team..

balaajee
6th February 2016, 08:08 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/659399512465670145/gKPzkQbK_bigger.jpg Sreedhar Pillai ‏@sri50 (https://twitter.com/sri50) 14h14 hours ago (https://twitter.com/sri50/status/695588139482501122)
#Visaranai (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Visaranai?src=hash) 4/5. Atmosphere of fear created in the narrative holds it together, locales realistic with camera & editing + @gvprakash (https://twitter.com/gvprakash) bgm tops

NOV
6th February 2016, 08:14 PM
Irudhi Sutru

Hats off to Director Sudha Kongara Prasad for having conceived the story, having faith in Tamil audience, extracting the best from all actors and delivering a world class product! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Two back-to-back excellent films - Has Tamil cinema finally come to age?

balaajee
7th February 2016, 04:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/574154825614524416/nBzTkmWB_bigger.jpeg Suriya Sivakumar ‏@Suriya_offl (https://twitter.com/Suriya_offl) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Suriya_offl/status/696264169679507456)
#IrudiSuttru (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrudiSuttru?src=hash) just saw the film!! Flim making can't be more genuine!! Still feel a lump in my throat!! Take a bow! Dir Sudha @ActorMadhavan (https://twitter.com/ActorMadhavan)

mexicomeat
7th February 2016, 06:48 PM
visaranai - easily one of the best movie made in the last 10 years. must watch

NOV
7th February 2016, 07:01 PM
Bangalore Naatkkal

Feel good & breezy movie.
Nice time pass.
Kudos for portraying the heroine like that - a first in thamizh movies.

interz
8th February 2016, 12:37 AM
Saahasam - Julayi remake without the sparks

Allu Arjun > Prashanth
Ileana > Amanda Rosario
Thambi Raamaiya > Rajendra Prasad
DSP > Thaman S

Overall the telugu version of the movie impressed me more than tamil version. I am not sure how tamil audience will react towards this movie, maybe the same outcome as thillalangadi?? I think its about time Thaman S stops composing songs under the sea, almost all of his songs are so autotuned.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2016, 09:02 PM
Anyone seen Aranmani 2 ?

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2016, 09:08 PM
இறுதிச்சுற்று ரித்திகாசிங் மதியின் நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை (வீடியோ இணைப்பு)

இறுதிச்சுற்று ரித்திகா ஒரு நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை வீராங்கனை என்பதைப் பேட்டிகளில் பார்த்தோம். இதோ.. நான்கு வருடங்களுக்கு முன் அவர் கலந்து கொண்ட ஒரு நிஜ குத்துச்சண்டை..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVvuC6ET_M

I thought the story was based on boxing ? it looks more like Kick boxing ? and the other Girl does not look like an Egyptian , but looks rather of Dominican origin .

elsaen11
9th February 2016, 11:31 AM
Anyone seen Aranmani 2 ?

Copy paste of first part with diff cast. Still entertained if not great

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2016, 03:46 PM
Copy paste of first part with diff cast. Still entertained if not great

Ok, thought so, thanks

balaajee
9th February 2016, 08:57 PM
Vikatan Gives 61 marks For Visaaranai. 2nd Highest In Vikatan History !!!http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/06/1455021329-d.jpg

mappi
10th February 2016, 08:07 PM
Balaajee,

Do you have a larger picture of the AV's Visaranai review, please ? I am not able to read from the one posted by you.

Am very much interested to know what they have said about the film.

Thanks man.

Mahen
11th February 2016, 06:06 AM
Irudhi Sutru - decent attempt..nothing groundbreaking in terms of story/screenplay..but I was hooked till the end..maddy and rithika :bow: rithika especially..loved her body language and mannerism..no actress could have done justice to it..santhosh songs as usual fit the scenes perfectly but I don't think I will listen to it on daily basis..

Visaranai - vetrimaran is the man :bow: this is the movie to beat in 2016..

balaajee
11th February 2016, 08:09 AM
Balaajee,

Do you have a larger picture of the AV's Visaranai review, please ? I am not able to read from the one posted by you.

Thanks man.

Mappi, Sorry i copied from a website...don't have clear/better version.

mexicomeat
11th February 2016, 01:35 PM
Balaajee,

Thanks man.
mappi, forget the reviews - just go ahead and watch it. it is simply awesome.

balaajee
11th February 2016, 02:05 PM
mappi, forget the reviews - just go ahead and watch it. it is simply awesome.

very TRUE, After பொல்லாதவன் its Visaranai which I liked from Vetrimaaran..

arulraj
11th February 2016, 02:56 PM
ஆனந்த விகடன் விமர்சனக் குழுவின் இரண்டாவது அதிகபட்ச மதிப்பெண்கள் 'விசாரணை'க்கு!

ஆனந்த விகடன் விமர்சனக் குழு 1977-ல் வெளியான '16 வயதினிலே' படத்துக்கு 62.5 மதிப்பெண்கள் அளித்திருந்தது. அதன் பின் ”முள்ளும் மலரும்” மட்டுமே 61 மதிப்பெண்கள் பெற்றது. தற்போது 38 வருடங்களுக்குப் பிறகு 'விசாரணை' படம் 61 மதிப்பெண்கள் குவித்திருக்கிறது. அந்த*ளவுக்கு படத்தில் என்ன விசேஷம்...? ஆனந்த விகடனின் விமர்சனத்தைப் படித்து தெரிந்து கொள்ளலாமா?அதிகார வர்க்கத்தின் அடியாளாக இயங்கும் காவல் துறையின் மனசாட்சியை குறுக்கு ‘விசாரணை’ செய்யும் தமிழ் சினிமாவின் பெருமிதப் படைப்பு!

முகமற்ற, முகவரியற்ற எளிய மனிதர்களுக்காக துளி வீரியம் குறையாமல், இம்மி சமரசம் இல்லாமல் இப்படி ஒரு படம் தந்ததற்காக இயக்குநர் வெற்றிமாறனை ஆரத்தழுவிக்கொள்வோம்.

முகவரியற்ற `கேர் ஆஃப் பிளாட்ஃபார்ம்’ குடிமகனோ, அரசியல் லாபிகளில் மல்ட்டிமில்லியன் புரட்டும் கோடீஸ்வரனோ... அதிகாரம் கழுத்தை இறுக்கினால் துரும்பும் தப்பாது என்பதை, முதுகுத்தண்டு சில்லிட விவரிக்கிறது ‘விசாரணை’யின் ஒவ்வொரு நிமிடமும்!

தினேஷ், ஆந்திராவில் ஒரு மளிகைக்கடையில் வேலைபார்க்கிறார். முருகதாஸ் உள்ளிட்ட தினேஷின் மற்ற மூன்று நண்பர்கள் அங்கேயே வேறு சிறு வேலைகள் செய்கின்றனர். நால்வருக்குமே இரவுகளை பூங்காவில் உறங்கிக் கழித்து, காசை மிச்சம்பிடிக்கும் வயிற்றுப்பிழைப்பு. அப்படியான ஒரு பூங்கா இரவு விடிகிறது... மிக மோசமாக! எந்தக் காரணமும் சொல்லாமல் தினேஷ் மற்றும் நண்பர்களை திடீரென அதிகாலையில் அழைத்துச்செல்லும் ஆந்திர போலீஸ், அடி வெளுத்து எடுக்கிறது. உயிரை மட்டும் மிச்சம் வைத்து உடலின் ஒவ்வோர் அணுவிலும் வலி பாய்ச்சுகிறது போலீஸின் ட்ரீட்மென்ட். உயிர்த் துளி வரை ஊடுருவி நடுங்கவைக்கும் சித்ரவதை. இத்தனையும் எதற்கு என்றே புரியாமல் அடிபட்டு முடங்கிக்கிடக்கிறார்கள் இளைஞர்கள். `விசாரணை'களுக்கு இடையில் அவர்களிடம் கேட்கப்படும் கேள்வி ஒன்றே ஒன்றுதான். `ஒப்புக்கிறீங்களா?'.

`எதை ஒப்புக்கொள்ள வேண்டும், தாங்கள் செய்த குற்றம் என்ன?' என்று தெரியாத அந்த இளைஞர்கள், மேலும் மேலும் உயிர் சிதைக்கப்படுகிறார்கள்; தங்கள் கைதுக்கான காரணம் தெரிந்து, அதிர்ந்து, சூழ்ந்திருக்கும் இக்கட்டு உணர்ந்து தவித்துத் தத்தளிக்கிறார்கள். அப்போது எதிர்பாராத திருப்பமாக தமிழக போலீஸான சமுத்திரக்கனி மூலம், ஆந்திர போலீஸ் பிடியில் இருந்து தப்பித்து தமிழகம் திரும்புகிறார்கள். வீட்டுக்குக் கிளம்பும் முன், சென்னையில் சமுத்திரக்கனியின் கட்டுப்பாட்டில் இருக்கும் காவல் நிலையத்தை ஆயுதபூஜைக்காக சுத்தம்செய்து தரச் சொல்கிறது போலீஸ். அதற்காக அங்கு தங்கும் ஓர் இரவில் நடப்பவை நடுக்கமூட்டும் திருப்பங்கள். அந்த இரவு தினேஷுக்கும் நண்பர்களுக்கும் எப்படி விடிந்தது என்பது... வெடவெடக்கச்செய்யும் க்ளைமாக்ஸ்!

படம் தொடங்கும்போது தினேஷ் பிடித்துச் செல்லப்படும் இரவு, இறுதிக்காட்சியில் திரையில் கவியும் இரவு... இரண்டு இரவுகளுக்கு இடையில் சாமானியர்களின் வாழ்க்கை நூலிழை உத்தரவாதம்கூட இல்லாமல் அல்லாடும் அவலத்தை முகத்தில் அறைகிறது படம். சைல்டு ஸ்பெஷலிஸ்ட், ஹார்ட் ஸ்பெஷலிஸ்ட் நிபுணர்களைப்போல `என்கவுன்டர் ஸ்பெஷலிஸ்ட்'களையும் கொண்டாடப்பட வேண்டிய நாயகர்களாகச் சித்திரிக்கும் சினிமாக் களுக்கு மத்தியில், என்கவுன்டர் கொலைகளுக்குப் பின்னால் இருக்கும் அதிகார அரசியலின் ஒவ்வொரு கண்ணியையும், நுட்பமாக வெளிக்கொண்டு வந்த நேர்மை, படைப்பை வேறு தளத்துக்குக் கொண்டுசெல்கிறது. காவல் துறையின் சித்ரவதையும் அடக்குமுறையும் எந்த எல்லை வரை செல்லும் என்பதற்கு இந்தப் படம் உண்மைக்கு மிக நெருக்கமான ரெஃபரென்ஸ்.

``பேர் என்ன?''

``அப்சல்.''

``ஐ.எஸ்.ஐ.எஸ்-ஸா... அல்கொய்தாவா?''

``இல்ல சார்... தமிழ்நாட்ல இருந்து வந்து வேலைபார்க்கிறேன்.''

``அப்போ எல்.டி.டி.ஈ-யா?’’ - பெயர், இன அடையாளங்களைக்கொண்டே ஒருவரைக் குற்றவாளியாக்கிவிடும் மனநிலை.

``உன்னை, குற்றவாளியைக் கண்டுபிடிக்கவா சொன்னேன்... கேஸை முடிக்கத்தானே சொன்னேன்!’’

``அட சும்மா இருங்க சார்... கோட்டால உள்ளே வந்துட்டு, சிஸ்டம் புரியாமப் பேசிக்கிட்டு!’’

``எத்தனை வருஷமா டிபார்ட்மென்ட்ல இருக்கீங்க, இன்னும் ‘தொழில்’ கத்துக்கலையே..!’’ - காவல் துறையின் கறுப்புப் பக்கங்களில் சகஜமாக நடக்கும் அராஜகங்களை பொளேரென உணர்த்தும் வசனங்கள்.

``ஐயா... என் கன்ட்ரோல்ல இருக்கிற ஸ்டேஷன்ல என்னைக் கேட்காம வந்து எப்படி நீங்க இப்படிப் பண்ணலாம்?’’ என அதிகபட்ச நேர்மையுடன் மேலதிகாரிகளுக்கு எதிராக தன் குறைந்தபட்ச அதிகாரத்தைக்கொண்டு கேள்விகேட்கிறார் சமுத்திரக்கனி. பின்னர் இக்கட்டான தருணத்தில், `‘உங்க கன்ட்ரோல்ல இருக்கிற ஸ்டேஷன்ல இப்படி எல்லாம் நடந்திருக்கு. இதுக்கு யார் பொறுப்பு?’' என்று சமுத்திரக்கனியின் பொறுப்புஉணர்ச்சியை அவருக்கு எதிராகவே பிரயோகிக்கும் மேலதிகாரிகளின் நைச்சிய அரசியல்... கிடுகிடுக்கச் செய்யும் அத்தியாயங்கள்.

முக்கியமாக, படம் நெடுக `சிஸ்டம்' என்ற சொல் பல இடங் களில் வருகிறது. காவல் துறையில் தனிப்பட்ட நபர்களின் நல்லெண்ணம் ஒரு துரும்பைக் கூட கிள்ள உதவாது என்பதையும், அந்த சிஸ்டம் முழுவதுமே கறைபடிந்து கிடப்பதையும் அழுத்தமாகச் சொல்கிறது படம்.

ஆந்திராவில் போலீஸ் முன்னிலையில் தங்களைத் தாங்களே சிக்கவைத்துக் கொள்ளும் ‘கேமரா ஒளிப்பதிவு’ நாடகத்தில் நடிக்கிறார்கள் தினேஷ் குழுவினர். தமிழகத்தில் தங்கள் உடைமைகள் தங்களுக்கு முன்னரே ‘குடி அமர்த்தப் பட்டிருக்கும்’ விபரீதம் புரிந்தும் புரியாமல் பரிதவிக்கிறார்கள். இரண்டுமே காவல் நிலையங்களில் சகஜமாக நிகழும் நிகழ்வுகள் என்பதை நினைத்தாலே... அந்தச் சிவப்புக் கட்டடங்களின் மேல் கிலிகொள்ளச்செய்கிறது. காவல் துறை என்ற சிஸ்டத்தின் ஒவ்வோர் அணுவும் எப்படிச் செயல்படுகிறது என்பதை மிக மிக நுணுக்கமாக ஆராய்ந்து, உண்மைச் சம்பவங்களின் பின்னணியை இணைத்து, நேர்மையான, உண்மையான அரசியல் சினிமாவைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார் இயக்குநர் வெற்றிமாறன். வெ.சந்திரகுமார் என்கிற கோவை ஆட்டோ ஓட்டுநர், தனக்கு நேர்ந்த உண்மைச் சம்பவங்களைக்கொண்டு எழுதிய `லாக்கப்' என்ற நாவலின் தழுவல்தான் இந்தக் கதை. படம் தொடங்கும்போதும் முடியும்போதும் ஓர் எழுத்தாளனுக்கு உரிய அங்கீகாரத்தை வழங்கியது சிறப்பு.
படத்தின் முதல் பாதிதான் `லாக்கப்’ நாவல். இரண்டாம் பாதி முழுக்க தமிழகத் தலைநகரில் நடந்த சில உண்மைச் சம்பவங்களின் சாயல் நிரம்பியிருக்கிறது. சம்பவங்களில் மட்டும் அல்ல... பாத்திர வடிவமைப்பிலும் சமூக யதார்த்தத்தின் உளவியலை நேர்த்தியாகப் பொருத்தியிருக்கிறார் இயக்குநர். ``நம்மளைக் கொல்ல மாட்டாங்கடா'' என மற்ற நண்பர்கள் சொல்லும்போது, ``இல்லல்ல... கண்டிப்பா கொன்னுடுவாங்க’' என்கிறான் அப்சல். ஒரு முஸ்லிம் இளைஞனுக்கே உரிய உள்ளுணர்வு அது. ஆந்திர போலீஸ் ஸ்டேஷனில் ஒரு பயிற்சி பெண் போலீஸ், தினேஷுக்கு செல்போன் கொடுத்து உதவுகிறார். அதே காவல் நிலையத்தில் சீனியர் பெண் போலீஸ் வழக்கம்போல் இயங்குகிறார். `சிஸ்டத்துக்குள்' புதிதாக உள்ளே வரும் ஒரு பெண்ணின் மரத்துப்போகாத மனசாட்சியும், சிஸ்டத்துக்குள்ளேயே ஆழ்ந்துவிட்ட இன்னொரு பெண்ணின் துருவேறிய மனசாட்சியும் மிக இயல்பாகக் காட்சிப்படுத்தப் படுகின்றன.

சமுத்திரக்கனியின் நடிப்புதான், மொத்த படத்தையும் உயிர்த்துடிப்புடன் தாங்கி நிற்கிறது.அதிகாரத் திமிரும் ஆயுத பலமும் நிரம்பிய காவல் துறைக்குள் மனசாட்சியுடன் செயல்பட முயற்சிக்கும் ஒரு மனிதனின் ஊசலாட்டத்தை, கையறுநிலையை, குற்றஉணர்ச்சி நிறைந்த மனசாட்சியை, தன் உடல்மொழியில் அற்புதமாகக் கொண்டுவந்திருக்கிறார் சமுத்திரக்கனி. இது வேற லெவல் கனி!

அதிகாலைக் குளிரில் நடுங்கி, போலீஸ் அடிக்கு அலறி, உயிர் பயத்தில் வெடவெடக்கும் தினேஷ், ``எனக்கு பல்லுதான் அழகுனு அம்மா சொல்லும்'' என டார்க் ஹ்யூமர் செய்யும் முருகதாஸ், ``நம்மளைக் கொன்னுருவாங்கடா'' என உயிர் நடுங்கும் அப்சல்... என அந்த நண்பர்கள் கூட்டத்தின் மிகையில்லா நடிப்பு, படத்தின் பெரும்பலம். ``ஒவ்வொரு உயிரும் இந்தப் பூமிக்கு வர்றதுக்கு ஒரு காரணம் இருக்கு. அது போறதுக்கும் ஒரு காரணம் இருக்கணும்' என எப்போதும் நைச்சியமாகப் பேசும் இ.ராமதாஸ் பாத்திரம், அசத்தல். அவரை நாம் எல்லா போலீஸ் ஸ்டேஷன் களிலும் பார்க்கலாம். அதிகாரத் தரகராக வரும் கிஷோரின் நடிப்பும், அவர் பேசும் வசனங்களும் கிளாசிக். சரவணசுப்பையாவின் ‘டிப்ளமாட்டிக்’ குயுக்தி, பிரசாதம் தந்து பிரித்து மேயும் அஜய் கோஷ் என அனைத்துப் பாத்திரங்களிலும் சன்னமாகக்கூட பிசிறடிக்காத நடிப்பு.

கிட்டத்தட்ட ‘ரியல் டைம்’ நிகழ்வுகளாக நடக்கும் சம்பவங்களை, நொடிக்கு நொடி பரிதவிப்புடன் கடத்துகிறது கிஷோரின் படத்தொகுப்பு. எப்பேர்ப்பட்ட கலைஞனை காலம் பறித்துக்கொண்டது என்பதை அழுத்தமாக உணர்த்துகிறது. ஜி.வி.பிரகாஷின் பின்னணி இசை, காட்சியின் அச்சத்தை ஒரு படி உயர்த்துகிறது. இருளும் ஒளியுமாகப் பயணிக்கும் கால அடுக்கு களைக் கலையாமல் அடுக்குகிறது ராமலிங்கத்தின் ஒளிப்பதிவு

அதிகாரவர்க்கம் எனும் ஆக்டோபஸின் ஒவ்வொரு கரத்திலும் சொட்டும் ரத்தத் துளிகளை உண்மைக்கு நெருக்கமாக அல்ல... உண்மையாகவே காட்சிப்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார் வெற்றிமாறன். ஆனாலும் சில கேள்விகள் எழுகின்றன. காவல் துறையில் பொய் வழக்குகள் போடுவதற்கு என்றே சில பழகிய குற்றவாளிகள் இருப்பார்கள். ஆத்திர அவசரத்துக்கு அவர்கள்தான் குற்றவாளிகளாக நிறுத்தப்படுவார்கள். இதில் எந்தத் தொடர்பும் இல்லாத, `தமிழ் பேசும்' ஒரே காரணத்துக்காக இவர்கள் மீது வழக்கு பாய்வது சற்றே நெருடல். மேலும், அவ்வளவு அடித்து நொறுக்கப்பட்டவர்கள், அடுத்தடுத்த காட்சிகளில் அதற்கான சுவடே இல்லாமல் இயல்பாக நடமாடுவது இடறல். இது ஒரு நுணுக்கமான அரசியல் படம் என்பதால், வேறு ஒரு கேள்வியை எழுப்பவேண்டியிருக்கிறது.

படம் முடியும்போது திரையரங்கில் பெரும் அமைதி எழுகிறது. `போலீஸ்கிட்ட சிக்கினா அவ்வளவுதான்' என்ற அச்சம் நம் மனதைக் கவ்வுகிறது. வெற்றிமாறனின் நோக்கம், காவல் துறையின் இரக்கமற்ற முகத்தை வெளிக்கொண்டு வருவதே. ஆனால் அதன் விளைவு, போலீஸ் குறித்து பொது மனதில் உறைந்திருக்கும் அச்சத்தை மேலும் உயர்த்துகிறது என்றால், `விசாரணை' ஏற்படுத்தும் உளவியல் விளைவை குறுக்கு விசாரணை செய்யத்தான் வேண்டும்.

சட்டத்தின் இருட்டு மூலைகளில் அரசியல் கட்சிகளும் அதிகாரவர்க்கமும் ஆடும் கண்ணாமூச்சி விளையாட்டு, இடஒதுக்கீட்டில் பதவிக்கு வந்தாலே ஏளனமாகப் பார்க்கப்படும் பார்வை என அரசியலின் அத்தனை அழுக்கு களையும் சொல்லி வெற்றிமாறன் மேற்கொண்டிருக்கும் இந்த ‘விசாரணை’... நம் அரசு இயந்திரங்களை மேற்கொள்ளச்சொல்கிறது சத்தியசோதனை.
எளியவர்களின் வலி பேசும் வலிமையான படைப்புக்கு, சிவப்புக் கம்பள வரவேற்பு அளித்து உச்சி முகர்கிறான் விகடன்!

- விகடன் விமர்சனக் குழு

mappi
12th February 2016, 03:23 PM
Was curious to know what Vikatan has to say about the movie, as I have already watched Visaranai.

Movies to watch before or after watching Visaranai.

The list holds Drama to Thriller to Action to Brutality, but they all are shot or narrated in a similar manner to Visaranai. Glad that many to most liked Visaranai, so I thought they may find the following movies interesting too (as usual, keep in mind that these movies are for matured audience) :

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) : English
Serpico (1973) : English
The Unjust (2010) : Korean
Polisse (2011) : French
A.C.A.B (2012) : Italian

Ofcoarse there are few many others too, just initialising a list, feel free to share yours.

mappi
12th February 2016, 03:29 PM
Talking about Visaranai :

A character study on Inspector Muthuvel would be fascinating. Apart from various other indicators (limited ones in the theatrical cut version), the following should be interesting to discuss:

- Would Muthuvel have shot Pandi, when Pandi agrees to give up ?
- Was the pistol in Pandi's hand made Muthuvel play along, or he would have acted like that anyway ?
- Was he in a state of dilema at any given suituation, esp. during the climax ?

balaajee
12th February 2016, 05:01 PM
Was curious to know what Vikatan has to say about the movie, as I have already watched Visaranai.

Movies to watch before or after watching Visaranai.

The list holds Drama to Thriller to Action to Brutality, but they all are shot or narrated in a similar manner to Visaranai. Glad that many to most liked Visaranai, so I thought they may find the following movies interesting too (as usual, keep in mind that these movies are for matured audience) :

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) : English
Serpico (1973) : English
The Unjust (2010) : Korean
Polisse (2011) : French
A.C.A.B (2012) : Italian

Ofcoarse there are few many others too, just initialising a list, feel free to share yours.

We can add PASSION OF CHRIST also...

mexicomeat
12th February 2016, 06:26 PM
mappiz, i have heard great things about Irréversible movie. haven't watched it yet though. being a french movie, i am surprised it hasn't featured in your list.

mappi
12th February 2016, 06:47 PM
Well, the listed movies are either thriller or drama genre, but they all come under 'Police Brutality' category. Eventhough certain movies deal with corruption and savagery in a confined social setup, they all cannot be fit into the same class that holds our movie Visaranai.

For instance, Polisse (French) is a brutal film that follows the officiers handling child abuse. How they all get psychologically stoned in their line of work is captured without lossing the heat & beat. Similarly, you got A.C.A.B, which tells the tale of a group of Riot Police officers who cover each other back when they do nasty things. Just like in Visaranai, which is about the puppeteers and puppets chained together with a thread of classified order, where the puppeteer is a puppet himself. Its not actually their personel choice or a decision that they would like to take daily, but their job suituation throws them the only bone that they can hold on too, which they don't want to miss. The final frames of the film is the major highlight where an ariel view of mysterious eyes pointing the gun flaunts over the couple on the ground, still the one who is seen as the pupetteer is actually puppeted to pull the trigger - a kind of loop, just like the ending of A.C.A.B. In Serpico, when a fellow officier turns into a rat, the others in the line of duty want to smoke him out under any circumstance. The other 2 moveis deals with what methods the officiers and detectives use to crack a case, in return get cracked themselves.

Irréversible is about a society that we live in, where violence is not taught but learnt. Ofcoarse its a Brutal film which has 3 of my favourite artists in it - Madame Bellucci, Albert Dupontel and Vincent Cassel.

k_vanan
12th February 2016, 08:06 PM
Jil jung Juk- good attempt by siddarth n gang. There are some mokkai but overall I like it :)

mappi
13th February 2016, 03:45 AM
Mexicomeat / Balaajee,

Another movie is Ugly (2013) : Hindi.

I have talked about the film here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?5086-Which-is-the-last-Bollywood-film-you-saw&p=1136688&viewfull=1#post1136688).

Ugly-the movie, does not have that much physical violence, but the story is nasty. It does cover the operations of Mumbai police. And I don't know where you can watch this film, thats a pity.

balaajee
13th February 2016, 01:23 PM
Thiru @mkstalin (https://twitter.com/mkstalin) watched #IrudhiSuttru (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrudhiSuttru?src=hash) & praised the team for a socially relevant inspirational film to youth & women

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbERoiOUAAAIN0h.jpg

mexicomeat
13th February 2016, 03:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkqFRNpQik

Avadi to America
13th February 2016, 11:23 PM
mappiz, i have heard great things about Irréversible movie. haven't watched it yet though. being a french movie, i am surprised it hasn't featured in your list.

watched it long time back... movie goes in reversible order of events... a disturbing rape scene...

kubrick
14th February 2016, 01:03 AM
a disturbing rape scene...

And heavily morbid killing scene employing a fire extinguisher, weirdly that disturbed me more than the rape. And the final shot, technically where the story begins.

Writing this I realized how I can vividly remember those scenes from a movie I watched in 07 and I can hardly remember the plot of a film (esp English), I watched weeks back.

Noe is an amazing, underrated director.

kubrick
14th February 2016, 01:14 AM
Jill Jung Juk

Now I have this splitting headache because of this film. I don't know how just watching and re-watching certain English/American films can give someone so much confidence to write and make a film like this.

They're just striving to be different and in that they completely forget to be comprehensible nor entertaining. This movie was outright boring.

Yes, I have appreciated films with unbelievable characters in absurd situations but they were enjoyable and I dint have to try to like them.

Very similar kind of promotions were done by Deadpool too, tbh it is very evident that Sidharth and team have just aped their style in promoting this film. But even though Deadpool is a very mediocre film it is full of fun. That's all we expect, is that too much to ask?

Being wannabe is an essential step in the creative process, until you evolve please wait.

NOV
14th February 2016, 06:48 PM
Jil Jung Juk

An enjoyable adventurous ride. Light & easy, breezy movie. First time without a heroine?
Excellent casting, cinematography and music. Except Shoot the kuruvi had been part of the movie, instead of during rolling credits.
Loved the indirect reference to Hara Hara Mahadevaki of WhatsApp. :oops:

2016 has been wonderful so far!

ajaybaskar
14th February 2016, 07:40 PM
Visaranai

Take a bow, Vetri Maaran!! Even if you retire today, your name will still be significant in Tamil cinema history because of Visaranai.

While most Tamil cop films glorify encounter specialists, Visaranai speaks for the other end of the spectrum. The haunting silence in the hall once the movie ends says it all.. I have not watched a movie recently which stands so close to reality like Visaranai. When the boys are arrested and brought to the station, the policeman starts selecting the right lathi for the 'treatment'. The viewers can feel the same fear as that of the boys. Brilliant writing and making.

Samuthirakani is fast becoming a great actor from being good. He can be proud of this role for the entirety of his life. Who is that Telugu police officer? Menacing!!

Visaranai is that film that every TFI fan can be proud of. Hope it gets the success it deserves so that film makers will dare to do such films.

mappi
19th February 2016, 07:33 PM
Jil Jung Juk (The Good, the Bad, the Ugly) [2016 : Tamil : 2h15m : Comedy (Satire, Literary nonsense, Pop Culture - Gangster)]

Co-Written & Directed by Deeraj Vaidy
Music : Vishal Chandrashekhar (Inam, Appuchi Gramam)
Editor : Kurtz Schneider
Cinematography : Shreyaas Krishna

Starring : Jasmin Bhasin (cameo), Siddharth, Avinash Raghudevan, Sananth Reddy with Radharavi, Nassar, Amarendran, RJ Balaji, Sai Dheena & Bagavathi Perumal in extended cameos

http://english.manoramaonline.com/content/dam/mm/en/entertainment/images/2016/Jan/14/siddharth-jil-jung-juk-trailer.jpg.image.784.410.jpg

Good happens. Bad happens. And then we know shit happens! It's about life where the good things come first, for exemple you get a job, make friends and enjoy a film shooting featuring your favourite actress. In between these short & memorable times, a sudden change brings in a midget size bad omen when you allow your car to meet a tree or be stranded in the middle of nowhere without fuel or even your 'dearer-than-life' car gets stolen. Good teaches us to face the bad, but just until the point where ugly things start to show their gaint shapes - for instance you get caught amoung people who think "When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye (Cathy Guisewite)". The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - simply put to make understanding easy - Jil Jung Juk is exactly what life can provide you with during the most important moments as described by the Saints - the moment between Life & Death.

The film - Jil Jung Juk - starts at somewhere and ends at somewhere, and that's the extrodinary beauty of the movie. Just to show their attraction towards cricket, the Producer-Director (Siddarth-Deeraj Vaidy) duo open their film with a 20-20 reference, which actually conveys nonsense through a lecture about the world been drowned by self-proclaimed wounds, but the citizens still play cricket and make movies - the two inseparable entertainment in anyone's personel life (exceptions excluded). With this awesome start, Deivanayagam (Amarendran) is under an enormous stress to deliver the last package of 'a 'crystalline powder', lets give it a name - The Crack - to the asian mafia. He and his two side-kicks, one a chauffeur and the other a kind of an employment agent, rework an Italian kind of Job to a vintage car. To be sure to get 'The Crack Car' delivered safely, they opt to use three henchmen who are not on the radar of neither the social security nor the local mafia group, thus, Nanjil Shivaji (Siddarth as Jil), Jungulingam (Avinash Raghudevan as Jung) & Jaguar Jagan (Sananth Reddy as Juk) are set on roll, to deliver the Crack Car to the international buyer. There is no problem, but watch the film to see how hell tears open the ground and blazes anything that's in motion.

Deeraj Vaidy steadies the characters, creates suituations according to their behaviours and finally pops out funny incidents from their actions. This is a typical genre film making, where Deeraj Vaidy with his team of brillant techniciens has thrown in his knowledge over film making by moving forward the naration with colors and style. The main forte of the film are the characters - not only how they are named, but how they address other minute details which are in their pocession. For instance, Rolex Rowther (Radha Ravi) walks around with "Cheer Girls", a group of tiny deadly ants roaming inside a glass jar. Similarly, usage of slides during establishing shots were cool, where slides of the destined building are brought up to denote the exterior followed by interrior shots. A comic stips slowly crawls into the film adding a fabulous mood, just as the short animation. All this and more in just two hours of its runtime - Hats off Deeraj Vaidy.

The performances were pure. The scenes are crowded, and each one inside the frame seem to be occupied with an activity or with just plain reactions, while the focused character is enacting. The wide angles are basically to promote and elivate the background where most of the time an artist takes his prominent place. The movie also bookmarks itself with enjoyable twists. The cuts look simple on screen, but during the opening song Kurtz Schneider involves himself to showcase a sample his awesome work. The costumes are a big motivation to the camera works, simple but catchy, they are all caught inside the lens perfectly. During an explosion sequence, there are about four state of affairs to be shown at the same moment - an explosion, at the same time, Jil running, at the same time, goons gearing up to attack, at the same time, Jung & Juk prepare to run. All these look different as they were captured differently, brilliant work by Shreyaas Krishna. Vishal Chandrashekhar's music score is quite punctuating where he amuses himself with all the fantastic suituations - the highlight is the theme music during the interval block and during the shoot-out. The idea during the climax is brilliant.

When Jil goes to find some petrol, Jung & Juk play with their balls, a game of marbles. The goal is to pocket it in a hole, and when the blazing balls run into the tiny gap, Vishal Chandrashekhar opts to pleasure us with the 'Kati Mellam' music. Another one is in the form of 'Casonova' song. By this time the lyrics should have enlightened a certain meaning, but the wordplay could turn-on the spotlight - "Gas No Va". Similarly, Red Road-u sings about voyeurism. There are a lot of pun inside the film, like the phone conversation of Daddy (Nasser) with Jil or Attack (Sai Dheena) calling his shot gun "Kai" (hand). The film passed out as a U/A! But the film can't be really branded as an Adult Film, but certainly its for matured audience, ofcoarse a teen around would add more fun.

Being my favourite genre, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and profited from its symbolisms over various popular culture in films. Recently I watched a crazy and fun film in which warewolves have to fight with the Zombies and somewhere in the middle they have to team up to face an alien invasion (LoL). Jil Jung Juk is equally funny. Bring in the part-2, please. Hats off to the entrire team.

Jil Jung Juk - Shoot the Cat

http://www.studentfilmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/jil-jung-juck-2.jpg

NOV
20th February 2016, 04:12 PM
Miruthan

Technically it's not a zombie movie. Zombies are the undead... this one is viral infection.

OK for one time watch but no tension throughout movie.
Disappointing ending.

BGM not bad. D. Iman

ajaybaskar
21st February 2016, 04:02 AM
Miruthan

Decent watch considering the fact that it is the first attempt in Tamil in this genre and also the length (less than 120 mins runtime). But i felt the film could've been more gripping and thrilling.

Shakthi Soundar Rajan has some novel ideas but somehow falters with the execution. He did the same with Naaigal Jaakkiradhai too.. Hope he gets a good script writer.

ajaybaskar
22nd February 2016, 01:56 AM
Sethupathi

Looks like Vijay Sethupathi's career graph is on a rise post NRD. Went to the film without much of expectations but came out of the hall satisfied. A cop hero who doesn't test our hearing ability is a blessing and Sethupathi has exactly that kind of hero. The film ticks all the necessary ingredients of a perfect family entertainer and it is not to be missed. Go for it.. :)

k_vanan
22nd February 2016, 11:21 AM
Miruthan

Decent watch considering the fact that it is the first attempt in Tamil in this genre and also the length (less than 120 mins runtime). But i felt the film could've been more gripping and thrilling.

Shakthi Soundar Rajan has some novel ideas but somehow falters with the execution. He did the same with Naaigal Jaakkiradhai too.. Hope he gets a good script writer.

:exactly:

mappi
22nd February 2016, 03:29 PM
Ajay,

+1

The film makers should not shy to employ creative consultants and the producers, instead of wasting their money on Audio Launches & booking online mafia to promote their films, should spend money qualitatively.

Tagged 'first' does not give it a gaint excuse, but it should act as a motivation to deliver something interesting & unique. Miruthan-the film looks like its been made after watching few Zombie movies (back-toback) & picking plots from related games. Even then, they missed the whole point about Zombies in general. The script is juicy though with its own share of multiple flaws - a point-to-point journey of a group of doctors, crossing the city to reach an hosiptal during a viral outbreak.

Zombie myth can be divided into blackmagic, science (history) & fantasy.

- When people beleived life is nothing but energy source, and if it goes exhausted, the body becomes motionless. So a few mastered to induce a kind of alternate energy into corspe using 'Blackmagic' through a doll which acts as the life source and the energy awakens the dead, a similar thing to our own "Pilli Soonyam" myth. That explains why such Zombies had torn clothes and deformed faces.

- During the late 18th century where science was debated a lot and travel to explore many lands brought it a sort of a virus through rats. Just like the Vampires Fantasy, where Dracula, a fictional character is based on a sort of skin disease where the affected becomes pale, allergic to sunlight & garlic juice, a sort of disease was spread by rats. The disease spread through bites or even saliva, affected certain part of the human brian making the infected to move around lathargically. The conversion took several days. In between their skin itched and the forceful scratchings teared their flesh. After a point they went into a sort of coma where their body temperature increased and when they woke up, they were hungry and attracted to a fully functioning human brain. This explains how Zombies became man-eaters.

- There are two different fantasy elements brought into entertainment keeping in mind the set of audience addressed (relative to time) :

1/ Previously, when the movie going audience were more into fun & frolic, the Zombie Movies were based more on the myth, as in a curse, followed by a bit of history, like a journey into unknown lands.

2/ For a most recent audience who try to evaluate reality in fiction, T-Virus became the principle origin of Zombies . The effects are quicker & deadly allowing the action to unfold at a faster pace. The major breakthrough in the series is Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, as it brings in the ancient theories of irritation, time taken for the infected to convert into Zombie including coma state & its after effects. The rest are more likely slasher films where George A. Romero visioned the ultimate Walking Dead, and the first Zombie Movie is White Zombie (1932). The quarantine were the major plot point in the games. Should not be confused with other Science Fictions on reanimation.

There are much more interesting details about (fictional/fantasy) Zombies, look into them if you are interested. The next Zombie movie in Tamil should be either a Dark Comedy like the Britisher's take or simply gore or drama like Maggie.

Miruthan - [I]Miru from Mirugam and than from Manithan, meaning "One who could easily be victimised (a vic)". Shakthi Soundar Rajan closes his film with a kind of Zombie Invasion. Hope he makes a Part 2, this time taking several zombie culture into account and opts for a better casting.

Miruthan - Ooty Malai Beauty, opps, Zombie !

mexicomeat
22nd February 2016, 05:43 PM
sethupathi - not bad. nothing special. another hit to vijay sethupathi.

ajaybaskar
22nd February 2016, 06:29 PM
Mohan Raja used the services of creative consultants for his 'Thani Oruvan' and the result is there to see. Unfortunately most producers want their directors as an 'one stop shop' and most directors don't want others to take credit for the success..

A.ANAND
23rd February 2016, 04:59 PM
visaranai pasam eppadiyavathu theater-la pakkanum innu nenacen, pavi payaluga athukulla thookitanungga...!!!

NOV
23rd February 2016, 05:11 PM
visaranai pasam eppadiyavathu theater-la pakkanum innu nenacen, pavi payaluga athukulla thookitanungga...!!!

LFS - Shaw Centrepoint, Klang
Visaranai (18)

A.ANAND
23rd February 2016, 05:23 PM
LFS - Shaw Centrepoint, Klang
Visaranai (18)

thanks nov sir..jauh sangat la bang..

NOV
23rd February 2016, 05:39 PM
Well worth the travel Anand.... could be the BEST movie of the year!

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2016, 07:16 PM
If you have tentkotta subscription, wait for 26th Feb

mappi
23rd February 2016, 07:42 PM
Do you know whether it's the theatrical version (2h) or Director's / Festival cut (3h-4h) ?

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2016, 07:45 PM
Tentkotta can only have censored version it seems. So it should be theatrical version mostly

Mahen
25th February 2016, 06:19 PM
Neerja- watched a good hindi movie after a long time :bow: not a single boring moment..loads of touching scenes.. I teared at some places :oops: neerja banot :bow:

ajaybaskar
29th February 2016, 02:08 PM
Kanithan

Good attempt. But i felt the film had a Thuppakki hangover throughout, which took away the fun..

Sivamani should stick to what he does best. His songs were terrible. Good that the team outsourced the bgm.. At least it sounded decent

interz
29th February 2016, 04:55 PM
Kanithan - good subject - amateurish execution

We have a hero who is being centre of all events all the time. Its one thing I noticed in tamil cinema. Most of the other characters always looks at the hero. The hero's image is built up to be godlike. They also have the heroine but because of budget problems they cant afford buy her clothes that covers full body. Moreoever there are wannabe funny but actually not funny characters like Karunakaran, Manobala in the movie to make the viewer relaxed, but instead they are getting on my nerves. They might think this movie is like Thupakki, but its more like a gun made of wood.

The worst thing is not the movie itself but the songs. Drums Sivamani might have played so much on drums, he didnt hear how terrible his own songs are. I pray he either improve really really much, or get no further projects.

This is a forgettable movie, better luck next time TN Santhosh

balaajee
29th February 2016, 05:22 PM
Kanithan - good subject - amateurish execution

We have a hero who is being centre of all events all the time. Its one thing I noticed in tamil cinema. Most of the other characters always looks at the hero. The hero's image is built up to be godlike. They also have the heroine but because of budget problems they cant afford buy her clothes that covers full body. Moreoever there are wannabe funny but actually not funny characters like Karunakaran, Manobala in the movie to make the viewer relaxed, but instead they are getting on my nerves. They might think this movie is like Thupakki, but its more like a gun made of wood.

The worst thing is not the movie itself but the songs. Drums Sivamani might have played so much on drums, he didnt hear how terrible his own songs are. I pray he either improve really really much, or get no further projects.

This is a forgettable movie, better luck next time TN Santhosh

Amateurish Execution - Very true, Do this movie really needs songs??

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2016, 07:53 PM
is Miruthan any good ?

balaajee
2nd March 2016, 11:00 AM
is Miruthan any good ?

No Good...

ajaybaskar
2nd March 2016, 11:02 AM
Lol.. Not that bad IMO.. But could've been much better

NOV
2nd March 2016, 11:09 AM
No Good...

LOL. .... what's wrong with the movie?
Entertaining

balaajee
2nd March 2016, 11:44 AM
Entertaining

Except Bro, Sis relationship(both happy & sad scenes) nothing worked for me...to me it lacks gripping & engaging screenplay.

dell_gt
2nd March 2016, 12:27 PM
Entertaining

half way.. was wondering if that zombie spoof movie :).. well yea its entertaining

NOV
2nd March 2016, 02:07 PM
Deadpool

Fun ride throughout.
A movie that doesn't take itself seriously.

dell_gt
2nd March 2016, 02:49 PM
Deadwood

Fun ride throughout.
A movie that doesn't take itself seriously.

u mean Deadpool ?

mareen
2nd March 2016, 02:49 PM
Visarani - saw the censored version. Really good, will recommend to everyone.

Goes to show that not only public cant trust police even police themselves cany trust them.

interz
5th March 2016, 07:04 PM
Pokkiri Raja - yawn

Without being the best movie this year, this movie made me laugh a lot though. There are several hilarious scenes in the movie where I couldnt control my laughter. Although this is a Jeeva movie, Sibiraj impressed me more, in this movie he really proves he is JR Sathyaraj. Hansika is OKOK in the movie. Here is another movie with songs that didnt impress. D. Imaan seem to get too many projects which makes him deliver these average songs.

TE1A director's 2nd movie might not be as good as the first, yet its worth a watch if u like movies sans logic.

NOV
5th March 2016, 07:45 PM
Zootopia

Brilliant.
Don't miss!

interz
7th March 2016, 06:49 PM
Pichaikaaran - "amma" sentiment

One of the better movies released this year. The movie is sentimental as well as commercial in certain aspects. Vijay Anthony might not be a top actor but he has good eye for script selection. Most of his movies stands out from the typical cinema movies in tamil. Satna Titus looks didnt impress me, but her acting was ok. The beggers and the henchmen provide some good laughters. Vijay Anthongs BGM was good and songs were gelling well with the movie. Director Sasi (Sollamale, Dishyum, Poo etc) proved again his worth in the movie.

interz
9th March 2016, 01:16 AM
Sowkarpettai - guaranteed tinnitus

Sowkarpettai has all the elements you seen in recent tamil horror movies:
- an intro where someone get killed
- a motive to revenge the attrocity
- the haunted house
- a flashback
- comedians who will get abused by the ghosts
- villain trying to protect him with help from black magic priests
- a glamourous ghost (very indian cinema to make the ghost look sexy)
- ghost song

No matter how much effort they put in making this movie, they seem to have focused less on screenplay and story which I think is most important part of the movie. Srikanth tried his best to tarnish his goodboy with his movie. He is a menace in this movie. In the flashback I noticed how much Srikanth looks like Sharukhan. Lakshmi Rai is almost veteran in ghost movies, although her previous ventures (Kanchana, Aranmanai) were hits I doubt this movie will be a hit. Director Vadivudayan is yet to convince audience that his movies are worth watching, his previous movies didnt do well (Saamida, Thambi Vettothi Sundaram)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th March 2016, 05:25 PM
Looking forward to "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" !

interz
13th March 2016, 06:55 PM
Mapla Singam - haven't I seen it before?

I am wondering, what makes ppl spend 120 rupees to watch a movie that has a story which has been repeated a lot in cinema?

NOV
13th March 2016, 07:16 PM
KaKaPo

A typical Vijay Sethupathi movie with unexpected reactions and unexpected twists.

Hollywood has Nolan
Kollywood has Nalan

😀😀😀

interz
14th March 2016, 08:35 PM
Kadhalum Kadanthu Poghum - slow sleeping pill

Definately not my cup of tea, but atleast audience appreciate movies like these. I hope they understand the movie better than I did.

rsubras
14th March 2016, 10:34 PM

Definately not my cup of tea, but atleast audience appreciate movies like these. I hope they understand the movie better than I did.

:), dont know what is the speciality of this movie, though you will like it if you like Vijay Sethupathi.......... I felt VS characterization was properly written......... he is not a sirippu rowdy (though the director wants us to believe he is one) like he was in naanum rowdy than nor he is menacing action hero kind.... his motto in life is also not strongly shown...............on the other hand, heroine's character, her ambition are all well written...........

balaajee
15th March 2016, 12:35 PM

Haven't watched the movie...but watched the original Korean movie(trailer had same sequence) which was like 80's movies...

mappi
15th March 2016, 02:59 PM
The speciality of the film Kadhalum Kadanthu Pogam is its urge to capture the motion of life, yet its not an art film as it does not carry long takes or observational elements but sticks mainstream. Even though it has few repetive narrative music, it uses this aspect to potray social realism. Several shots are taken under natural light with hand held camera to enveloppe the audience within.

Mysskin makes slow cinema, a sort of a film making style used by asian film makers - "The length of a shot, on which much of the debate revolves, is a quite abstract measure if divorced from what takes place within it." It's in this area Nalan re-defines the notion by adapting an screenplay that bends the genre, not being experimental but confidently showcasing something in a new way with respect to cinematic involvement. There lies its speciality. An immediate exemple is Idhayathai Thirudathey which is superrior in narrative during its period of release. Again, its not slow cinema, but a romance-musical bent to deliver as mainstream. Few film makers really like to play and spin out new dimensions, the recent one is Nalan.

While directing a play to the screen, there are 3 most important factors => dialogue, expression & reception/reaction. For exemple, in Thalapathi Mani Rathnam captures the reaction part. Here, mostly it is 2S shots where you see the dialogues delivered and received in the same frame which enhances various emotions. The decor is matching, while the silent shots carry an action with a meaning. Well there are a lot more about this movie, wish not make this post a gigantic one too by moving away from recomendation and turning it into an analyse. Watch the film, I am sure you will gasp much more from it. And the slowness reported is an experience and has nothing to do with the film making adapted by Nalan.

Arvind Srinivasan
15th March 2016, 08:53 PM
The speciality of the film Kadhalum Kadanthu Pogam is its urge to capture the motion of life, yet its not an art film as it does not carry long takes or observational elements but sticks mainstream. Even though it has few repetive narrative music, it uses this aspect to potray social realism. Several shots are taken under natural light with hand held camera to enveloppe the audience within.

Mysskin makes slow cinema, a sort of a film making style used by asian film makers - "The length of a shot, on which much of the debate revolves, is a quite abstract measure if divorced from what takes place within it." It's in this area Nalan re-defines the notion by adapting an screenplay that bends the genre, not being experimental but confidently showcasing something in a new way with respect to cinematic involvement. There lies its speciality. An immediate exemple is Idhayathai Thirudathey which is superrior in narrative during its period of release. Again, its not slow cinema, but a romance-musical bent to deliver as mainstream. Few film makers really like to play and spin out new dimensions, the recent one is Nalan.

While directing a play to the screen, there are 3 most important factors => dialogue, expression & reception/reaction. For exemple, in Thalapathi Mani Rathnam captures the reaction part. Here, mostly it is 2S shots where you see the dialogues delivered and received in the same frame which enhances various emotions. The decor is matching, while the silent shots carry an action with a meaning. Well there are a lot more about this movie, wish not make this post a gigantic one too by moving away from recomendation and turning it into an analyse. Watch the film, I am sure you will gasp much more from it. And the slowness reported is an experience and has nothing to do with the film making adapted by Nalan.

Good post there Mappi. I am yet to watch Kadhalum Kadandhu Pogum. But since you touched upon the subject of long shots, I would like to give my two cents. I give a lot of credit to a man filming his movies through long shots. It for me shows the director's intent to show his visualisation to the audience. Cinema is all but an act of deceit, where the audience are led to believe that they dwell in the film's world. And long shots play an extensive role of transporting the audience to the world of the movie. A swashbuckling film made with innumerable cuts does just the opposite. It creates a chasm between the audience and the film. Of course this comes with a caveat. As a film maker it is important to understand the balance needed. You have Myshshkin for example. He does tend to over do it with the long shots. But it comes of to great effect in most scenes. A more recent contemporary example would be Uttama Villain. Have you ever wondered about the "slowness" employed in each scene showing Manoranjan? That looked like a deliberate attempt to distinguish real from reel which here is Manoranjan, the real vs Uttaman, the reel.

mappi
16th March 2016, 04:23 PM
Arvind Srinivasan,

Long shots are been omitted by our film makers these days. They, along with the contemporain audience, started to fell that quiteness is lethargic without identifying it as a beauty. As mentioned by you, such visuals transport the audience inside the arena created by the film makers, earlier it happens inside the motion picture, deeper the involvement would be.

Take Quentin Tarantino. His films depict early long & silent shots, thus creating a premature ambience. In Inglorious Basterds, you have a house by the moutain and a SS car slowly creeps inside the frame. The beauty is the grandeur he displays by focusing from a single grass leaf. The shots stays longer than needed, but they depict pages of description within its existing time frame. Similarly, in Hateful Eight the arrival of a coach taken close from a staue covered with snow (similar to the 'grass effect' from Inglorious Basterds), I was completely blown away by his visual narrative technique.

But these days a teaser with overused cuts is lauded as one of the finest, where you happen to profit from nothing, but left with a noisy scrambled scenes like a broken egg on a hot pan. Gone are the days where a single character presented the whole film under one minute, the glorious westerns are long buried. I have adapted, a kind of degrade (LoL).

Karthik Subbaraj records some fabulous long takes too. In Jigarthanda, Bobby Simha opens the car door and without getting out washes his face with water from a bottle. The tower of a church in the background looks like a horn over his head. I like the modesty in Karthik Subbaraj : when a film fan highlighted it, the film maker replied expressing that it was neither in the script nor on the initial visual plan. So, a long shot can provide varied suprises. It can build a bridge for the audeince to interact.

Mysskin had assembled lovely long shots in his film works, I love them all, but he is a bit arogant when coming to accept other cinematic realisations. If everyone makes films like Mysskin, then variety goes for one-way travel vacation. Expression does not have limits, just have to change the straw of likeness while drawing in the entertainment.

In Uthama Villain, they bring in several contrast between the reel & real and had sincerely tried to pull a box within a box trick. The aerial shot of Manoranjan meeting his fans takes its time to settle behind the Superstar as he stretches both his hands coveying a religious symbol to potray himself as a God for his hardcore fans. All this takes its sweet time around outdoor & indoor shots squeezing in numerous objects inside the frame, including slow flying papers bits and timid bouncing lights, just to allow the audience to grasp the enviornment completely.

To get an idea is as difficult as conveying it visually. Similarly, Manoranjan walks and the camera swiftly captures all the details around, and every conversation takes its time to establish. They took real care not to make it a melodrama, but still static shots land on Manoranjan's face from time to time. On the other hand, Uthaman episode is a Comedy Musical. There is quick motion everywhere from flowing rivers to dancing ropes. Even the hard to notice erection of "Uthaman's Kudumi" (ponytail hairstyle) speaks speed. Also, during the pathos song, Uthaman and the Moon are placid, while the atmosphere moves along with various dancing artists.

Any film work will have or atleast try to hold fabulous depictions inside, the potrayal coming from various minds makes it even more beautiful and unique. Alas, some get noticed, others are mercilessly drained out.

Arvind Srinivasan
16th March 2016, 09:56 PM
Arvind Srinivasan,

Long shots are been omitted by our film makers these days. They, along with the contemporain audience, started to fell that quiteness is lethargic without identifying it as a beauty. As mentioned by you, such visuals transport the audience inside the arena created by the film makers, earlier it happens inside the motion picture, deeper the involvement would be.

Take Quentin Tarantino. His films depict early long & silent shots, thus creating a premature ambience. In Inglorious Basterds, you have a house by the moutain and a SS car slowly creeps inside the frame. The beauty is the grandeur he displays by focusing from a single grass leaf. The shots stays longer than needed, but they depict pages of description within its existing time frame. Similarly, in Hateful Eight the arrival of a coach taken close from a staue covered with snow (similar to the 'grass effect' from Inglorious Basterds), I was completely blown away by his visual narrative technique.

But these days a teaser with overused cuts is lauded as one of the finest, where you happen to profit from nothing, but left with a noisy scrambled scenes like a broken egg on a hot pan. Gone are the days where a single character presented the whole film under one minute, the glorious westerns are long buried. I have adapted, a kind of degrade (LoL).

Karthik Subbaraj records some fabulous long takes too. In Jigarthanda, Bobby Simha opens the car door and without getting out washes his face with water from a bottle. The tower of a church in the background looks like a horn over his head. I like the modesty in Karthik Subbaraj : when a film fan highlighted it, the film maker replied expressing that it was neither in the script nor on the initial visual plan. So, a long shot can provide varied suprises. It can build a bridge for the audeince to interact.

Mysskin had assembled lovely long shots in his film works, I love them all, but he is a bit arogant when coming to accept other cinematic realisations. If everyone makes films like Mysskin, then variety goes for one-way travel vacation. Expression does not have limits, just have to change the straw of likeness while drawing in the entertainment.

In Uthama Villain, they bring in several contrast between the reel & real and had sincerely tried to pull a box within a box trick. The aerial shot of Manoranjan meeting his fans takes its time to settle behind the Superstar as he stretches both his hands coveying a religious symbol to potray himself as a God for his hardcore fans. All this takes its sweet time around outdoor & indoor shots squeezing in numerous objects inside the frame, including slow flying papers bits and timid bouncing lights, just to allow the audience to grasp the enviornment completely.

To get an idea is as difficult as conveying it visually. Similarly, Manoranjan walks and the camera swiftly captures all the details around, and every conversation takes its time to establish. They took real care not to make it a melodrama, but still static shots land on Manoranjan's face from time to time. On the other hand, Uthaman episode is a Comedy Musical. There is quick motion everywhere from flowing rivers to dancing ropes. Even the hard to notice erection of "Uthaman's Kudumi" (ponytail hairstyle) speaks speed. Also, during the pathos song, Uthaman and the Moon are placid, while the atmosphere moves along with various dancing artists.

Any film work will have or atleast try to hold fabulous depictions inside, the potrayal coming from various minds makes it even more beautiful and unique. Alas, some get noticed, others are mercilessly drained out.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a film that I've really enjoyed over the years right from the time it released. A reason it struck a chord in me was the way the film was structured with absolutely no superficiality involved. And it employed a good number of long takes. There is one right at the beginning with George Smiley and Control making their exit (literally) from the circus interspersed with intermittent cuts. You didn't have to show their long standing tenure in the circus through montage shots. Just them making their exits through the stairs, the offices, and the reception told the story. Add to the fact that there was just no dialogue in between. Cinema is more or less like a violin triplet with direction, cinematography and the editing taking the part of the Violin, the viola and the cello respectively. Each has its own distinct identity but together they make visual chemistry. And that's what is missing in 99% of our films.

I am glad that you'd taken notice of UV. The Manoranjan's part are that slow that even the latter closing the door behind Varalakshmi and Arpana takes more than a few microseconds.

mappi
16th March 2016, 11:35 PM
There are long takes and takes which are made by stitching short takes to make it look like a long take. A perfect exemple is in the movie Panic Room - the Burglary Scene.

If asked, even though there are several, I would pick my favourite film maker Brain de Palmer's Snake Eyes opening sequence. Then being an action fan, how could I leave out Tony Jaa's search for his elephant inside a multistoried restaurant in Tom-Yum-Goong, closely followed by the Action Man Chow Yun Fat going gun blazing inside an hospital in the Master of Action Films John Woo's Hard Boiled.

Particularly, I love the scene from Saving Private Ryan when the Captain receives the letter from the President, which often reminds me of Paradesi, the scene where the habitants move with the Kangali (Talking about Paradesi, Bala's picturisation mixed with IR music are gems). The beach scene from Atonement should be noted too and the shoot-out from the Mexican film Dias De Gracia. There are several Indie films where you can find film makers projecting unique ways in thier presentation (White Dog, Son of Saul, The girl with a Dragon Tatoo, etc., ...). And ofcoarse, James Intro in Spectre (knitted though).

The world of spy and counterspy is my most favourite category. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a finest film. If you have read the novel by Le Carré, you could notice how Tomas Alfredson (along with his screen-writers) has bent the adaptation by fragmenting the textual narrative during the visual narration. Stealing the file from the Circus is not only a intact long take but also event from one place narrative. There are quite many adorable scene where the music underplays itself to create the mysterious ambience enhanced by the visuals with perfectly modulated performence by a screaming star cast - Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, Toby Jones & Colin Firth.

[Looking for Spy Novels, try : Lee Child (Jack Reacher series) & Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon series)]

Cinema is more or less like a violin triplet with direction, cinematography and the editing taking the part of the Violin, the viola and the cello respectively. Each has its own distinct identity but together they make visual chemistry.

+1
In the hands of an efficient director, the scene should project it's mastery.

mappi
16th March 2016, 11:59 PM
Just saying .... in my ongoing fictional work Chaturmukha, the Habour Explosion upto to Sena Saving Suganthi can be a long take, just like the crowded scene from Touch of Evil (1958) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaN4R6KRSY0

mappi
17th March 2016, 02:16 AM
Rambo (1) Opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBgB06FTqs

Rambo (4) Closing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdJffoVMWo

Mahen
27th March 2016, 08:28 AM
Thozha.. Watched a very good film after a long time..emotionally satisfying film..
And after a long time finally had the urge to watch a tamil film for the second time..and its not because of tammanah😀 After anbe sivam, this would be the next male bonding film that will be talked about..
both karthi and nagarjun were superb.. I never liked nagarjun's looks but this movie his character made him look tolerable..and whats with him and girls??my chinese wife was attracted to him😁

interz
27th March 2016, 05:12 PM
Vaaliba Raja - old age story

the most crappy movie this year so far. It's better to stare at an empty wall for 2 hours instead.

NOV
27th March 2016, 05:22 PM
Thozha

Entertaining, feel-good movie. Both Karthi & Tamannah did well. Nagarjun acting was plastic and all his expressions seemed artificial. A Vijay Sethupathi would have given a different dimension to the character.
The male-bonding didn't work very well for me, mainly due to the deficiencies of Nagarjun.

Vivek's come-back was welcome although he did not appear in many frames. Prakash Raj is... Prakash Raj. :p

One thing outstanding was the BGM - wonder who it is!

Throughout the movie, I felt like watching a Telugu movie though. Thank God no fights.

The car race scene in Paris was a seat-gripper. In fact all the Paris scenes were great.

Verdict - Good time pass, without insulting our intelligence.