PDA

View Full Version : Groundnut (Peanut) Chutney

Badri
25th February 2005, 05:49 AM
Anyone knows how to make groundnut chutney the Telugu way? I have had it a few times at Telugu homes, and it was always wonderful...not too thick, and sort of yoghurty in texture...and it goes so well with Chapathi, Idli, Dosa, Tamarind Rice, Coconut Rice...the list is endless...

Aaah! Makes my mouth water, but woe is me, I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT!!!

Help! Someone! Anyone?

Minni
2nd March 2005, 06:18 AM
Well, the ingredients for the groundnut chutney are:
Roasted channa dal- available in Indian stores
Groundnuts
Fresh Grated Coconut
tamarind extract
Jaggery- optional
green chillies
Salt
Roast groundnuts and remove their wafer thin covers, then grind them along with fresh grated coconut, jaggery, roasted channa dal(putnal pappu), and tamarind extract. Temper this ground mixture with mustard seeds, jeera, methi seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and hing.
The proportions are as per your taste, mostly it is more of groundnuts and less of roasted channa dal.

Badri
2nd March 2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks Minni

I just can't wait to try it out...

Badri
4th March 2005, 04:45 AM
Minni

I tried it out...it was fabulous...just the taste I remember...thanks so much

Minni
4th March 2005, 06:32 AM
You are Welcome! :)

Thattai
11th March 2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Minni,

I tried this chutney, but it had a distinct bitter aftertaste... is there any way to avoid this?

Tx

Badri
11th March 2005, 09:30 AM
Thattai

Maybe you had too much methi seeds? What oil did you use?

Thattai
11th March 2005, 02:04 PM
I used til oil. And I don't think that the bitterness was due to the methi... It seemed to be prevalent throughout the chutney, so I thought maybe one of the ingredients that were ground up could have caused it... I used all the items, even the optional ones. Any other suggestions? Tx!

Badri
15th March 2005, 05:04 AM
Hey, til oil can cause bitterness too...try substituting with some other type..

Thattai
30th March 2005, 11:01 AM
Hi BAdri,

I was unaware of the fact that til oil causes bitterness... I use it to season all the cutnies that I make but haven't encountered this problem.

However, I take ur point and will try it with a different oil the next time round.... tx!

Minni
6th April 2005, 05:34 AM
Well, I am not sure of the til oil, but sometimes it could be because of the peanuts that you are using. Check to see if they are the source of bitterness.

Minni

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 08:37 AM
Hope nobody minds me giving one more method of Peanut chutney!

Peanuts 2 cups
Tamarind- Less than lemon size
Green chillies 3 to 4
Salt

First Roast peanuts .keep aside to cool.And remove the skin
Soak Tamarind
Then,
Put little Oil in a kadai, add little Mustar seeds,Jeera,Green chillies ,(cut into small pieces -easy to grind),hing. Saute for 2 to 3 min on medium flame untill green chillies look fried. Keep this aside and cool it.
After cooling, add peanuts and the above and soaked tamarind
,salt and grind them.

Peanut chutney is ready!

Hope u all will like it! :)

sarithasai5
6th April 2005, 08:39 AM
sorry !
Can put seasoning of Oil,hing and jeera,little urad dal for the chutney which will add the taste! :)

Ramanan
18th April 2005, 11:32 PM
I have some peanut chutney and powder recipes in my old collection which is given below.

1. Peanut Sauce

Ingredient : Peanuts – 150 gm, roasted, skinned and coarsely powdered; coconut – 3 heaped tbsp, grated; tamarind – a few flakes; asafetida (hing) powder – 1 tsp; oil – 1 tbsp; cummin – ½ tsp; salt to taste; red chilles – 2; green chilles – 2 chopped finely; ginger – 1 inch piece; chopped coriander leaves for garnishing; rice – 1 tbsp soaked in a little water and drained.

Method

Grind together coconut, tamarind, salt, sugar, red chilles, rice, green chilles and ginger with a little water. Do not make the paste too fine. Heat oil in a kadai. Add hing and jeera. When it splutters, add the ground paste, peanuts and two to three cups water. Boil briskly on a high flame, stirring steadily, till a thick sauce is formed. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. This is delicious served with hot parathas.

2. Dry Peanut Chutney

Ingredient : Peanut – 100 gm, roasted and skinned; red chilles – 4; tamarind – a few flakes; sesame (til) seeds – 1 tbsp roasted; salt – to taste; garlic – a few flakes (optional); coconut – 3 tbsp grated use fresh or dry kopra); ginger – 1 inch piece; green chilles – 2 chopped finely.

Method

Grind all the ingredients coarsely without adding water. Can be stored in fridge for a month. Delicious served with dosas, potato wada or sandwiches.

3. Groundnut Powder

Ingredient : Groundnut – 1 cup; chilli powder – ½ tbsp; garlic – 8 flakes; salt to taste.

Method :

Roast groundnut on a low flame and remove skin. Grind together with other ingredients.

Do tell me how they turn out as I have not tried them.

svasu_ani
28th April 2005, 03:42 AM
Hi,

One more way of making groundnut chutney, learnt it from Mother in law--Andhra way

Ingredients
Groundnuts
Onions
Green/Red Chillies
Dhaniya 2 tsps
Jeera 1 tsp
Tamarind--little
salt
oil

Fry groundnuts and remove the skin. Fry dhania and jeera separately. Fry onions and chillies in little oil.
Grind Groundnut, onion, chillies with dhania , jeera,tamarind and salt. Grind it with little water to get the chutney in batter consistency.

Corriander chutney can also be made in the sameway. Replace groundnuts with corriander (no need to fry).

(garlic can be added either fried or raw accordingly when grinding)

Anitha

cooldude_123
1st May 2005, 12:13 PM
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALL THE RECIPES OF SANJEEV KAPOOR. ALL RECEPIES. CHINESE, INDIAN, THAI, LEBANESE ETC. ALL FOR FREE!!! (http://www.earnmoneyindia.com/earn/idevaffiliate.php?id=935&page=4)

vizmaya
12th December 2005, 04:18 AM
Here is the recipe of penut chutney

http://www.vizmaya.com/?p=69

Vizmaya.

vizmaya
12th December 2005, 08:43 AM
Hi
we have a peanut chutney in our website.

http://www.vizmaya.com/?cat=18

vizmaya team

sailu
12th December 2005, 04:56 PM
Here's a recipe for andhra style peanut chutney.

Groundnut Chutney (Verusenaga Pachadi)

1 Cup roasted and peeled groundnuts

2 green chillis

Salt

1-2 dry red chillies

1tbsp tamarind paste

Seasoning- 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal, few curry leaves, 2 whole dry red chillis, pinch of asafoetida

1 Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the red and green chillis and fry for 1 minute.

2. Grind groundnuts, red chillis, green chillies , salt , tamarind by adding water to a smooth consistency.

3. Heat 1 tsp oil and add cumin seeds and when they splutter add the rest of the seasoning ingredients and fry till brown

4.Remove from heat and add to the groundnut chutney

5. Serve with idli/dosa/vada/upma or any snack of your choice.

Variation: You can add one chopped onion and 3 flakes of garlic and fry with the chillis till brown.