PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Lifestyle

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Badri
21st April 2005, 02:07 PM
Try roasted peanuts!!! :evil: :evil: :lol:

anyway, anything that can calm the stomach is believed to help. Eg Ginger tea, ginger powder etc. Ginger cookies can help too (provided it is allowed in your diet plan! :lol: )

Peppermint oil without sugar is another sure remedy, failing which you can look for peppermint candies.

I am told sucking on a piece of lemon is good for any kind of motion sickness..I find it calming when on the road for long durations. Besides, there are a number of homeopathic remedies, but those you should take only after consultation.

I have never had air sicknesss. Perhaps it has to do with eating peanut chutney? :lol: :twisted:

scorpio
21st April 2005, 02:09 PM
Dev,

My daughter too has this problem. It might also be due to change in pressure. Always keep yr ears closed with cotton to overcome this and never look out of the window while taking off/ landing. ANyway, airline food is not always tasty and hope you'll eat less when aboard. India vareengala?? CPA eppadi pochu??

Badri,

yeah, meeting over but no delegation this time, pudhu project-pa, neraiya velai irukku.

Ennathu, thodapakuchiya? :shock: That is simply a partition cloth thru' which they both stare at Dragons before Harry's first task in Goblet of fire.

dev
21st April 2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Badri,

Thanks for the suggestions... Will take a big pack of roasted peanut along... :lol:

I have never had air sicknesss. Perhaps it has to do with eating peanut chutney? Laughing Twisted Evil

:banghead: Ellam en neram...

I do have some homoeopathy medicines for this...Let me try it out this time...

dev
21st April 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi Scorpio,

I don't eat much on flight coz most of the time i'll be busy vomiting when the food is served... :lol:

India vareengala?? CPA eppadi pochu??

India illa pa...to US to take the exams... exam mudichitu vanthu solren enna koothu panninenu...

g's mom
21st April 2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Dev

just wanted to let you know that I have been following your diet plan and so far have lost abt 2 pounds

sorry for not updating you abt it.....

thanks
g's mom

Sudhaama
21st April 2005, 09:26 PM
SEA-SICKNESS & AIR-SICKNESS ... Nausea

"dev"

// Hey guys,... I'm looking out for some tips to alleviate air sickness (nausea)... anyone with some tried & tested tips,pls post it... FYI,even avomin fails to work on me sometimes... I really pity my fellow travellers... Wish i don't make the whole flight sick this time...//

Some people have such an Alergy....for which there are...

(1).. several medicines.. to be administered ... prior to commencing the journeyl .. Family doctors know .them

(2) Some people do not find it sufficient... in which case.. there are several CHEWING-GUMS... specifically suited and meant for this purpose..... These ones may be taken singly without the prior usage of medicine... or as a supplement to the medicine already taken. The Chewing-gums are to be constantly kept in the mounth and chewed until the mouth gets enough saliva secretion constantly... but without over-secretion.

(3) Best felt... commonly by all without exception... is ..

... Cardomam (Aelam / Ilaaychi) + Clove (Kiraambu / Lavang)...

Keep the combinnation in the mouth.. and slowly swallow the mixed Saliva... constantly.. during the whole duration of travel .

(4) Never Over-eat nor keep the Stomach Empty... Take a little food only at a time along with the least quantum of Water or any Liquid

(5) Ensure the minimum of SALT and SOUR substances especially in a single taste predominantly.

(7) Prior to commencement of Journey... take a few Biscuits of easily digestible variety.

(8) Don't take any Food.. without apetite....or Hunger.... during the journey.

(9) Chewing Peppermints also helps

dev
21st April 2005, 09:28 PM
Wow...that's great...Keep going... :thumbsup:

I won't be availbale for 2 months from now... will continue with the thread after that... :wave:

dev
22nd April 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all those tips Mr.Sudhaama... I'm a bit worried coz I need to take my exams once I reach there... So trying my best to reach there in good health... 8)

Raghu
22nd April 2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Dev

Great topic, I don't know how I missed it :shock: :shock:
and I don't know how you missed my 'Any fitness freaks there' topic in the misc section :shock: :shock:

You are doing an excellent job, do keep it up and pop into my fitness freaks thread as well.

To lose 1 pound U need to burn 3500cal...walking at 3mph burns 280 cal/hr....So U need to walk for 12 hrs to burn 1 pound.... :lol:

I don't think so, as far as i know 10 Cal =1g of fat, so to loose a pound of fat, you will need to loose 4545 cal, on average men need 2,500 calories with 95 g of fat and 7 g salt, while women need 2,000 calories with 75g of fat, 5g salt.

as long as you burn of what you have consumed, you will never gain weight, but to lose weight you must burn off more cal than you consume.

the other thing, i think you said, 15 -25 g of protien per day, it's ok for normal man, but if one is thinking of body building you need to consume protien amount which is equal to to your body , so for example I weigh 140 lbs so I should consume 140 g of Protein a day, I am a veggie, so that does not help me a lot :cry: , any ideas where I can get loads of protien from a veggie source QUICKLY & PRACTICALY, i know soya products, milk, beans dal, pulses ..are high in protien, but i am after some thing that is very easy and quick to consume, as I don't have time to cook! :(

another question,

Could you please tell me ,How many calories in the following food?

1) 1 chapatii
2) 1 ghee paratta
3) 2-3 standard spoons of Rice
4) 2-3 standard spoons of any veggie curries?

many thanks Dev for your help.

Sudhama sir, hello :D

dev
22nd April 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi Raghu,

Gud to see U here...I'm busy with getting ready for my trip now... Just came to check for one last time before I leave... Will post all the details u've asked for...but it'll take atleast 2 months for me to get relieved of my personal commitments & spend time here in the forum again... Sorry abt it... until then,have a nice time here with Mr.Sudhaama... :wink: Bye bye... :wave:

Raghu
22nd April 2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Raghu,

Gud to see U here...I'm busy with getting ready for my trip now... Just came to check for one last time before I leave... Will post all the details u've asked for...but it'll take atleast 2 months for me to get relieved of my personal commitments & spend time here in the forum again... Sorry abt it... until then,have a nice time here with Mr.Sudhaama... :wink: Bye bye... :wave:

Ok, Cool Have safe journey and take care and do pop in this topic as as soon as you get back.

May the Alimighty Maha Iswar bless all atamas.

Lakalakalaklalakalakalaklaka :wink:

Anandi
23rd April 2005, 08:44 AM
Raghu,
You may like to see this site for calorific values of various food items:
http://www.webhealthcentre.com/general/dn_count.asp

Also, you had mentioned that to lose 1 pound, it is not 3500 cal that we need to burn. Please see the following site:
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/faq.html

Anandi
23rd April 2005, 09:21 AM
40gms of uncooked rice after cooking become 1 cup, which is approximately 138 kcal and one chapathi of 40 gms is 136kcal.

Raghu
25th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Raghu,
You may like to see this site for calorific values of various food items:
http://www.webhealthcentre.com/general/dn_count.asp

Also, you had mentioned that to lose 1 pound, it is not 3500 cal that we need to burn. Please see the following site:
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/faq.html

Hi Anandi

sorry for the late reply, been busy.

thank you very much for the links, I found them extremley useful, esp the body building section.

But I need more answers, if you don't mind :D

How do you know, when you are loosing weight, that you are actualy loosing fat, as opposed to muscle mass or water? Ok you may use a fat detector, but is there any way that you can tell without this?

Mruku has about 500-600 Calories, that is scary :lol:

Anandi
26th April 2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Raghu,
I really don't any other way(other than a fat detector) to check if the wt lost is due to fat or other things!!But I have read that if the weight remains the same ,and you are losing inches (in the waist etc), then that may be due to fat converting to muscles!!

About murukku, 7,8 murukku only comes to 500 calories!!-so stop with 1 :)
Do you have any idea abt this-my friend told me yesterday that with weights, we can lose weight much faster than doing cardio exercises. Is this true?

ash_970
26th April 2005, 09:32 PM
Hello Anandy
I have come across a very efficient neck exercise to reduce weight.
When ever you come across chocholate /icecream/ sweets/ deserts..fried food...dry fruits... turn your neck right to left and left to right for couple of times...this is the best exercise... :lol:
This is not to offend the serious effort just trying to make the thing bit funny and light :wink:
Do try my suggested exercise..it works for me... :idea:

Raghu
27th April 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi Raghu,
I really don't any other way(other than a fat detector) to check if the wt lost is due to fat or other things!!But I have read that if the weight remains the same ,and you are losing inches (in the waist etc), then that may be due to fat converting to muscles!!

About murukku, 7,8 murukku only comes to 500 calories!!-so stop with 1 :)
Do you have any idea abt this-my friend told me yesterday that with weights, we can lose weight much faster than doing cardio exercises. Is this true?

Hi Anandi,

Yes, that's correct, with Cardio, you burn fat just when you are running or walking ..etc, but your muscles burn fat while you are neutral, say sleeping or resting. to shed the ugly fat, follow this routine(assuming you are a lady, as work outs are much intense and harder for us guys :D ),

1)Go to the gym 5 days a week,
2)spend at least an hour day,
3) out of these 5 days, spend the 3 days on the tread mill and burn about 500 Calories, and don't do any weights on these days
4) the rest of two days, spend about 10 minutes, not more or less on the treadmill, then start of with gentle weights, ladies mainly concentrate on lower body, like abs and legs , while guys work out mainly the upper body, chest arms and abs.

But you must balance out these exercises, get personal trainer's help from the gym, else you may injure your self , like I dislocated my right arm, and for the past 2 months I am unable to do really heavy weights :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please pop in to 'Fitness Freaks thread' in Misc thread, else you can ask me here :D

Raghu
27th April 2005, 04:43 PM
Hello Anandy
I have come across a very efficient neck exercise to reduce weight.
When ever you come across chocholate /icecream/ sweets/ deserts..fried food...dry fruits... turn your neck right to left and left to right for couple of times...this is the best exercise... :lol:
This is not to offend the serious effort just trying to make the thing bit funny and light :wink:
Do try my suggested exercise..it works for me... :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anandi
27th April 2005, 07:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Ash,
That was well said!!!

Anandi
27th April 2005, 07:56 PM
I am really sorry for you Raghu..Hope you get well soon..

I did look into the Fitness thread that u have started , but I dont even udnerstand most of the terms that you people are tlaking abt!!:)

Right now,I am walking 5 times a week and burning abt 450 calories-no experience with weights!!, and I cant go to a personal trainer or commercial gym right now..so I think I have to be happy with walking!!

I have heard people saying that wt loss takes place only when calories consumed is less than calories burnt-but is it same for calories consumed from fat/carb /proteins or does it make any difference at all??

Raghu
27th April 2005, 08:27 PM
I am really sorry for you Raghu..Hope you get well soon..
thanks for your concern, I have my Maha Iswar along with me all the time :D

I did look into the Fitness thread that u have started , but I dont even udnerstand most of the terms that you people are tlaking abt!!:) :D , it's not that dificult, you can ask anything you don't understand, I will try my best to answer them

Right now,I am walking 5 times a week and burning abt 450 calories-

How do you know that, I mean how do you measure it :? in order to do that, you msut walk at least 40 minutes at a speed of 7kph? I burn 500 cal in 30 minutes on an inclined tread mill(15 Deg, from horizontal), at a speed of 7kph. Try jogging or running at moderate speed to intensive speed, once you become comfortable. in that way, you burn more cal and you burn them quickly.

no experience with weights!!, and I cant go to a personal trainer or commercial gym right now..so I think I have to be happy with walking!!

No problem, ladies do not need weights to tone up, do push ups, rest your knees on the floor, with your palms on the floor shoulder width apart and press againt the floor, this will tone your upper body, chest and arms, except abs, do sit ups for this.
do skipping, do streching excercises (very important to warm up)

I have heard people saying that wt loss takes place only when calories consumed is less than calories burnt-but is it same for calories consumed from fat/carb /proteins or does it make any difference at all??

Correct, average women should not consume more than 2000 cal per day, BUT if you want to loose weight, then you must consume less than 2000 cal, say 1500 a day, if you do this for 31 days, you can loose about 1-2 kg of fat, terribly hard work :cry:

Carb & Fat provide far more energy(cal) than Protien, 1g of Fat is about 10 cal, BUT you must consume a high Protein & Fibre diet, you should consume about 30-50 g of protein day.

Typical problem with us indians is that we eat late at night, and we consume large portions of food, eg. My Mum will serve me three peoples food and say, you are young boy you should eat more, don't mums just spoil their kids :lol: :lol:

Do You know what is BMI (Body Mass Index), it tells you wether your weight is good for height.

see this link below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml

and reply back

svasu_ani
28th April 2005, 02:54 AM
[tscii:c370073bdf]Hi,

Jus picked this from health.com

9 Little Ways To Be a Big Loser

Simple strategies for dropping the pounds–and keeping them off.

Losing weight may not require as much work as you think. For example, consuming just 100 fewer calories each day is enough to avert the 1 to 2 pounds the average person gains each year. To lose weight, you have to downsize by 500 calories a day—but you don't have to slash them all from your plate. "You can eat 250 calories less and then burn 250 by walking for 30 to 45 minutes. Over a week, that will produce about a pound of weight loss," says Holly Wyatt, M.D., a clinical researcher at the Center for Human Nutrition in Denver. You won't see dramatic changes immediately, but small tweaks like these will pay off over time.

1. Eat dairy daily.
A piece of cheese or a cup of milk or yogurt can rev up your metabolism, a recent University of Tennessee study found. People who cut 500 calories a day from their diets while eating yogurt three times a day lost 13 pounds over 12 weeks, more weight and more body fat than a control group who only cut calories.

2. Have an apple before dinner.
How did 346 people in small-town Washington State lose an average of 17 pounds each in three months? With regular exercise, balanced eating, and an apple with every meal. The residents owed their rapid weight loss in part to the fruit's ample fiber, most of which is in the skin (a typical apple contains 5 grams). The roughage makes you feel fuller, blunting a raging appetite.

3. Be wary of white foods.
That's the color of most high-calorie carbs—bagels, potatoes, breads, rice, creamed corn, and the like. During this holiday season, decorate your plate with brightly hued fruits and vegetables to lower calories, increase fiber, and help you stay slim.

4. Drink water with a twist.
Everyone knows keeping water intake up can keep calorie consumption down. The problem is, many people find plain water too dull. Juice up your tap water with a twist of lime or lemon, or buy flavored seltzer or club soda.

5. Act like a kid.
Expand your definition of physical activity to include shaking your booty with your kids to Raffi or The Wiggles. It's a welcome break from the StairMaster, can burn just as many calories (about 120 every 20 minutes), and is a lot more fun.

6. Munch a handful of M&M's.
Two dozen plain candies add only 100 calories to your daily tally and can satisfy a voracious sweet tooth. So go ahead and have a treat when you really want it instead of letting your cravings build up to the point of overindulgence.

7. Be picky about bread.
The fiber in bread has the same appetite-inhibiting effect as that of whole-grain cereals. Select loaves with whole grain listed as the first ingredient, and make sure each slice contains at least 2 grams of fiber.

8. Eat breakfast.
A Harvard study found that people who did so every day cut their chances of becoming obese and developing diabetes by 35 to 50 percent, compared with those who ate breakfast only twice a week. What you eat, though, is as important as when. Whole grains such as oatmeal and cereals that contain at least 2 grams of fiber per serving help pare the pounds.

9. Brush your teeth after every meal.
Brushing serves as a physical and psychological cue to stop eating. After all, who wants to dip back into the leftover lasagna with the minty taste of toothpaste in their mouth? When you're on the go, popping a few Altoids or a breath strip can have the same effect.
[/tscii:c370073bdf]

apujittu
28th April 2005, 04:14 AM
Hi Svasu_ani,
Thanks for your wonderful info!.

dev
28th April 2005, 04:46 AM
Correct, average women should not consume more than 2000 cal per day, BUT if you want to loose weight, then you must consume less than 2000 cal, say 1500 a day, if you do this for 31 days, you can loose about 1-2 kg of fat, terribly hard work Crying or Very sad

Oh dear...pls don't post such generic info Raghu... What do u mean by an avg woman?????...I wonder what a 5 ft lady would be like if she consumes 2000kcals a day... defanitely a big cylinder in 2 months...hahaha...Pls be very specific in whatever U post pa... coz diff ppl interpret thins very differntly...& such generic info can be misleading for some... Hope U got me...pls don't be offended...

Raghu
28th April 2005, 07:44 PM
Oh dear...pls don't post such generic info Raghu... What do u mean by an avg woman?????...I wonder what a 5 ft lady would be like if she consumes 2000kcals a day... defanitely a big cylinder in 2 months...hahaha...Pls be very specific in whatever U post pa... coz diff ppl interpret thins very differntly...& such generic info can be misleading for some... Hope U got me...pls don't be offended...

Dev Aunty, :D

No I am not at all offended, I was talking on the basis of BMI, that's why I have posted that BMI link from BBC, so that, people can eat / excercise according to it.

any way, I thought you went on Holiday :?

Anandi
28th April 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi Raghu,

it's not that dificult, you can ask anything you don't understand, I will try my best to answer them

I thought it was a thread for body builders!!:)

How do you know that, I mean how do you measure it in order to do that, you msut walk at least 40 minutes at a speed of 7kph?
The treadmill says so!!-I walk for 40 min-with inclinations 8-10 and speed-3.8-4.0-It comes to 450..I am surprised how one can run with inclination 15 and speed 7-isn't it v difficult-wont u slip?

Carb & Fat provide far more energy(cal) than Protien, 1g of Fat is about 10 cal, BUT you must consume a high Protein & Fibre diet, you should consume about 30-50 g of protein day

My question is-do the calories from carb and protein contribute the same way for wt gain as the cal from fat-or is it different?

Do You know what is BMI
yeah-I knwo abt it -but it says people with BMI of 24+ also in healthy weight range-but it is really hard to accept it..

[/quote]

dev
28th April 2005, 10:52 PM
Dev Aunty, :D

No I am not at all offended, I was talking on the basis of BMI, that's why I have posted that BMI link from BBC, so that, people can eat / excercise according to it.

any way, I thought you went on Holiday :?

Ada paavi...ennai aunty aakitingala?!!!... I'm still in my early 20s Raghu...So,U should rightfully be my Uncle... :lol:

Am not on holiday... am here to take up my exams...

svasu_ani
29th April 2005, 12:17 AM
Know about vitamins.....

http://www.health.com/health/pdf/vitamins.pdf

Anitha

Raghu
2nd May 2005, 04:32 PM
Dear all,

Please bare with me, I will post detailed answers on Tuesday, as I am busy with acting.

thanks

Anandi
3rd May 2005, 12:16 AM
hi Raghu,
You are an actor!great!! You act in films or serials?? in which industry?

Raghu
3rd May 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Anandi,

Yes, I am acting as hero, in a tamil film, called santharpam, followed by a hindi film called 'London Wallah', pls check your PM

Hi dev,

Aiyo I am also in 20's :lol:

scorpio
3rd May 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi Anandi,

Yes, I am acting as hero, in a tamil film, called santharpam, followed by a hindi film called 'London Wallah', pls check your PM

Hi dev,

Aiyo I am also in 20's :lol:

raghu,
Innum unga padam release aagaliya??

Unga vayasu enna-nnu old hub-la solli irukeengannu nenaikaren, summa inga reel vidatheenga.

Raghu
3rd May 2005, 05:15 PM
Scorpio,

Naa poi solrathilango

yes, I am still in my 20's, remeber 20's mean , it could be in the range of 20-29, can't it not?

regarding film, it is still in the production :(

scorpio
3rd May 2005, 05:52 PM
raghu,

serious aagatheenga, was just pulling yr leg! :)

Raghu
3rd May 2005, 08:14 PM
scorpio ji

Don't worry, i was not offended, ellam avan seyal

vartaa

Lakalakalakalak :wink:

Anandi
5th May 2005, 05:42 PM
Hi all,
I have lost 8 pounds totally in 2 months with Dev's diet plan(and exercise). Thanks Dev.
And whoever has recd the plan,please follows it religiously and you will see the result!!!

g's mom
5th May 2005, 06:07 PM
Congrats anandi.... I have lost abt 6lbs in total... to tell the truth... I havent had much time to excersice.... I am just wacthing what I eat....

Thanks to dev for helping me achieve this goal.... I have struggled earlier to reduce my weight.... I have come back to my prepregnacy weight after 2 years :)

pr
5th May 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi anandi
Could u pls post the diet chart again for me ..
Thanks in advance
PR

Anandi
5th May 2005, 08:03 PM
Hi PR,
It is in page 8 of this thread. You may like to read all the posts in the first few pages atleast before u follow any diet. It has a lot of information.
Also this is a customised diet-it is for a vegetarian and who plans to walk for 30 min a day..
Check if this suits you. First check all the posts to see if my activity level, food etc matches yrs..

I have 5 more pounds to go to reach my prepregnancy weight!!:)

Anandi

Raghu
5th May 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi PR,
It is in page 8 of this thread. You may like to read all the posts in the first few pages atleast before u follow any diet. It has a lot of information.
Also this is a customised diet-it is for a vegetarian and who plans to walk for 30 min a day..
Check if this suits you. First check all the posts to see if my activity level, food etc matches yrs..

I have 5 more pounds to go to reach my prepregnancy weight!!:)

Anandi

Hi Anandi,

Cool, well done, do not ever loose your motivation under any circumstances, and by the grace of Maha Iswar, you will have a healthy baby.

take care

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:14 PM
hello Raghu,
naan pregnant ellam illeengo!!
I have a 15 month old baby!!!!

Raghu
5th May 2005, 09:14 PM
Anandi,

Long time ago, you asked how I mange to run on 15 Deg inclined treadmill at 7kph without sliding down, the answer is very simple.

I hold on to the bar :lol:

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:18 PM
I am still not able to understand-how can u hold and still run at 7 in 15 deg inclination/
It needs a lot of preactice I think!!:)

Raghu
5th May 2005, 09:18 PM
hello Raghu,
naan pregnant ellam illeengo!!
I have a 15 month old baby!!!!

Oh I am terribly sorry :oops: :oops:

Raghu
5th May 2005, 09:26 PM
I am still not able to understand-how can u hold and still run at 7 in 15 deg inclination/
It needs a lot of preactice I think!!:)

well to be honest, I used to hate cardio big time, I just loved doing weights weiughts and weights, but nothing else, but since my shoulder dis location, I am taking it very easy on the weights for a while :cry: :cry: , so the guy at the gym said, why don't you do some cardio, I said ok with big grin on my face, normaly b4 the injury, I would run 5 minutes on the treadmil, that's it,the rest of the time, it's just weights weights and weights.

so I went on the treadmill and said to my self, right I am going to do 30 minutes at 15 deg inclined at 7kph, no matter what, and I did it(By the grace of Maheswar, I do have great will power, when it comes certain things), though I found it quite hard initally , esp your legs ache a lot for the first time, it was my pure determination that got me going

so set your self a target(REALISTIC), try inclined treadmill, don't do 30 minutes like me straight away, but start gently and proceed higher & higher.

do you have any heart.cholestrol concerns?

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:30 PM
no.. I dont think so..
first i want to come to my pre-pregnancy wt and then will try to slim down..
when i started, i could not do at 4 mph even for 10 min-now I am doing for 30 min at 4 which is really a good improvement..
but I am not able to run even for 2 min -and that s my big concern..

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:30 PM
no.. I dont think so..
first i want to come to my pre-pregnancy wt and then will try to slim down..
when i started, i could not do at 4 mph even for 10 min-now I am doing for 30 min at 4 which is really a good improvement..
but I am not able to run even for 2 min -and that s my big concern..

napolims445
5th May 2005, 09:31 PM
Friends,
I have 188 triglycerides level and my cholestrol is well within limits.
Can someone suggest what can i do to reduce my trigly... level at home.
also i read that nuts are good to reduce trigly..and bad cholesterol....but my doctor says avoid nuts and dairy products....
conflicting.......

my habits-
i normally i consume fatfreemilk and 1% milk's curds..
ideal weight (but not ideal size), vegetarian, no alcohol, no smoking, no sodas, no junk food on a day to day basis..
.can someone please clarify about foods to be avoided and foods to be had in abundance...

Thanks a lot..

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:41 PM
I hate my thighs and butt
I badly want to reduce them.even if I coem to normal weight, they still will seem to be a little big..(because that is how I always have been!!)-not too big-but I would like to reduce them..
I am doing walking daily..but I want to know some way to reduce my thigh and hip..
Raghu,
I am doing weights with leg-Will it do me some good?

Can anyone help me in this?

Anandi

Can anyone tell

Anandi
5th May 2005, 09:42 PM
Raghu,
You DO have a great determination. Let this attitude bring more and more success in yr life!!

dev
7th May 2005, 08:06 PM
Anandhi & G's mom,

:clap: keep going...

dev
7th May 2005, 08:10 PM
Hey Raghu,

Ennapa un photo ethuvume netla illa pola iruku?... Curious to see our varungala hero... :wink:

Raghu
9th May 2005, 04:29 PM
Hey Raghu,

Ennapa un photo ethuvume netla illa pola iruku?... Curious to see our varungala hero... :wink: pls check your PM thanks

napolims445
9th May 2005, 07:54 PM
i posted my problem( its on page 20th in this thread) few days before but still waiting to get an answer....someone please reply.
Dev , raghu or anybody..please spare some time to read my post and give me a solution.

Thanks a lot..

Raghu
9th May 2005, 09:00 PM
Friends,
I have 188 triglycerides level and my cholestrol is well within limits.
Can someone suggest what can i do to reduce my trigly... level at home.
also i read that nuts are good to reduce trigly..and bad cholesterol....but my doctor says avoid nuts and dairy products....
conflicting.......

my habits-
i normally i consume fatfreemilk and 1% milk's curds..
ideal weight (but not ideal size), vegetarian, no alcohol, no smoking, no sodas, no junk food on a day to day basis..
.can someone please clarify about foods to be avoided and foods to be had in abundance...

Thanks a lot..

Hi there

I am so sorry, I am no doctor or dietician, and I have never heard of such illness, pls see the link, I am sorry this is how much I am able to help

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4778

Raghu
9th May 2005, 09:25 PM
[tscii:f0a7861369]
I hate my thighs and butt
I badly want to reduce them.even if I coem to normal weight, they still will seem to be a little big..(because that is how I always have been!!)-not too big-but I would like to reduce them..
I am doing walking daily..but I want to know some way to reduce my thigh and hip..
Raghu,
I am doing weights with leg-Will it do me some good?

Can anyone help me in this?

Anandi
Can anyone tell

Hi Anandi

You are complaining about fat thighs, well I am complaining about skinny legs, haha, this is something, I avoided taking care of, hence I ended up with huge chest, arms, and V shape upper body, with two skinny chicken legs,:cry:

This is the main problem for ladies, while stomach and ugly oblique are the real problem for us guys.

Yes, you must do weights for your legs, do leg raise, there are plenty of these leg exercise machines in UK gyms, but don't know about the gym you go (are u in India)?

The best exercise for this is leg quads, basically get a barbell, hold it behind your
Head, (PLEASE BE EXTRA CAREFUL WITH THIS, DO NOT EVER LIFT
WEIGHTS THAT YOU CAN NOT DO), and lower your legs (as if u r going to sit down) and push your self up, as if you going to stand up, NEVER LOOSE YOUR BALANCE, it is better this is done with a machine, (chest Press machine), so you will
Never drop your weights behind you, if you do YOU HAVE HIGH CHANCE OF DISLOCATING YOUR SHOULDER, I don’t want this injury to happen to any one, I know how hell this can be.

Remember Doing cardio will only get rid of your fat, it will NEVER TIGHTEN
OR STRENGTHEN your muscles, so you must do weights, even if you are a girl!

[/tscii:f0a7861369]

svasu_ani
10th May 2005, 04:20 AM
12 simple ways to burn more calories from health.com

http://www.health.com/health/pdf/goodlivingtips.pdf

Anitha

kelly
10th May 2005, 05:05 AM
Hai,
I've been following the diet plan for the past 10 days with 30min walking but i have not reduce any pound. Where am i going wrong. Please help

Anandi
10th May 2005, 07:53 AM
Hi napolims,
I would recommend you to visit a good Dr ASAP. Home remedies always should supplement the medicines by a Dr in serious cases like that. You have not mentioned your age,ht et etc..
That being said, I made a google search abt triglycerides and food to take. A research has been made that says consumption of more soy results in reduction of triglycerides. Also it says that you should consume 1 soy protein in each of your meal.
You should use unsaturated oil only-like corn ,olive/canola etc..
Foods rich in cellulose and pectin such as fruits and vegetables should be consumed. Turmeric, onions, garlic, and bengal gram are believed to lower serum cholesterol levels. Food containing soluble fibre such as oatmeal, wheat bran, citrus fruits, and beans are also good for high cholesterol and fistula.
Brisk walking for 30 min is a must
You may like to read this whole thread :
http://food.sify.com/fullstory.php?&id=13251515

Anandi
10th May 2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Raghu,
Thanks a lot for explaining the exercise, but I cant understand it at all-can u ssend some link in google which shows the ex that you are saying abt?

Anandi
10th May 2005, 07:57 AM
Kelly,
Which diet plan are you following? Also, you have been follwing the plan only for 10 days, give somemore time to see the results.
Also, jot down every, I mean EVERY SINGLE FOOD that you are eating from morning and count the calories in it. Do it for 2 days with sincerity. You will know how much u r consuming, also you will know where u r going wrong

kelly
10th May 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi Anandi,

I'm following the diet plan on pg 12.

Raghu
12th May 2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Anandi,

sorry for the late reply, been busy, here is the link for the leg work outs

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=LegsSquats

dev
12th May 2005, 11:20 PM
Hi Kelly,

What Anandhi said is right...write down each & everything you eat & drink(except for water)...Do this for a week or so & send it to me...I'll tell U where you go wrong...

kelly
13th May 2005, 02:45 PM
Hi Dev,

TQ, i'm following the diet plan except for sundays. Anyway i'll keep track what i'm eating and send u in a weeks time. How was you exam.

dev
14th May 2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Kelly,

I don't find anything wrong with the diet... If U follow the diet plan & exercise strictly,U should reduce weight for sure... Try to cut down on weekend partying... Or eat sensibly on weekends too,if parties can't be avoided...

Anyways,make a list & send it... Will try to figure out the problem...

dev
14th May 2005, 02:24 AM
Exams r going on good...still 2 more papers to come... 've the next tomorrow & the last on thursday(19th)...:)

Anandi
14th May 2005, 07:53 AM
thanks raghu, i saw the link. I hope it is not for body building and it is for reducing the fat too..

svasu_ani
17th May 2005, 01:35 AM
Jus check this website to find out about your Fitness diet and nutrition. Hope this helps...

http://my.webmd.com/medical_information/health_tools/food_nutrition/default.htm?z=3628_81000_0000_07_00

Anitha

Raghu
18th May 2005, 03:20 PM
Dear Aunties / Accas :lol:

Does any one know how much calories are in the following Curries?

1) 1 Spoon of Daal
2) I Spoon of Katharikai (Bangans)
3) 1 Spoon of Soya Meat(excellent Protien source)

thanks

Anandi Aunty

That is not for body building, I told you many times, building muscles will loosen your fat and tone body.You are a female, you are NOT going to have huge muscles like guys, so don't worry, do some weights

Anandi
19th May 2005, 07:49 PM
Raghu ji,
What on earth makes u think that everyone is soooooooo much older than u?!!!!
Anyway, thanks for the link and I have started doing some weights. Hope to see some results soon.

Anandi

Raghu
19th May 2005, 08:06 PM
Raghu ji,
What on earth makes u think that everyone is soooooooo much older than u?!!!!
Anyway, thanks for the link and I have started doing some weights. Hope to see some results soon.

Anandi

summa joke :wink:

aamma etho naa vanthu intha spirituality/philosophy patri pesina ennaiyum ji aakiteenghala, naa onum guru ji illaingo :lol:

I have increased my cal burning from 500 to 650 a day, it is very hard, but I will do it for a while, There were some Aloo Paratha for dinner, now how can resist such foods :cry: :cry:

Anandi
21st May 2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Raghu,
Why are u burning those many calories?Are u trying to lose some weight??

Raghu
22nd May 2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Raghu,
Why are u burning those many calories?Are u trying to lose some weight??

Hi Anandi,

No I am not trying to loose weight at all, as i don't need to, but because of my shoulder injury I am a bit scared to do weight training for a whille, that's why :cry: :cry:

dev
24th May 2005, 03:15 AM
Hmmm... I don't understand what U r upto Raghu!!!...

Anyways, I'm back in Singapore after my exams... So,how have u guys been doing?... Kelly, have u made a list of ur diet?...if yes,pls send it to me...

kelly
24th May 2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Dev,
This is what i'be taking for the past 1 week
Mon - Fri : 40g oats + 2 tbsp skim powder milk (bf)
Lunch and Dinner : 2 capati lunch and 2 for dinner (the 4 capati is made out of 75gm atta flour)

Mon : lunch : 2 capati ,taugfu and 1/4 apple
Dinner : 2 capati and 2 bendi
Tue : lunch : 2 capati ,long beans and 1/4 apple
Dinner : 2 capati and dhal
evening : 50ml soya milk
Wed to Fri same menu except i change the veg.

Sat : morning : 2 slice of whole bread and 1 yolk
lunch : 4 tbsp rice, 1 fish (steam), 1/4 brinjal
dinner : 5 tbsp ponggal

Sun : morning : 2 thosai with dhal
lunch : 4 tbsp rice, 1 pcs chicken, beans,taughu
dinner : 1 tosai, 1 vadai

Mon to sat i went waking (4 km) - 45 min and Sun i did Strecting exercise 1 hour.

Raghu
24th May 2005, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... I don't understand what U r upto Raghu!!!...

Loads of things :wink: :lol2:

dev
24th May 2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Dev,
This is what i'be taking for the past 1 week
Mon - Fri : 40g oats + 2 tbsp skim powder milk (bf)
Lunch and Dinner : 2 capati lunch and 2 for dinner (the 4 capati is made out of 75gm atta flour)

Mon : lunch : 2 capati ,taugfu and 1/4 apple
Dinner : 2 capati and 2 bendi
Tue : lunch : 2 capati ,long beans and 1/4 apple
Dinner : 2 capati and dhal
evening : 50ml soya milk
Wed to Fri same menu except i change the veg.

Sat : morning : 2 slice of whole bread and 1 yolk
lunch : 4 tbsp rice, 1 fish (steam), 1/4 brinjal
dinner : 5 tbsp ponggal

Sun : morning : 2 thosai with dhal
lunch : 4 tbsp rice, 1 pcs chicken, beans,taughu
dinner : 1 tosai, 1 vadai

Mon to sat i went waking (4 km) - 45 min and Sun i did Strecting exercise 1 hour.

Hi Kelly,

I don't understand what taughu is!!!...pls explain... also give me the weight of the raw ingredients U eat...Hope U've a kitchen weiging scale!!!... U've not mentioned anything abt oil & sugar intake...pls let me know the details abt it... what do u mean by 5 tbsp pongal?...is that the cooked one?...do u eat just 5 tbsp of pongal for a meal???!!!... also,is 4 tbsp rice the measument after cooking???... If yes,this defanitely is not the right diet... This ,I would say is starvation... & 1 yolk...does it mean the egg yolk(yellow)?... I have specifically mentioned in my previous posts to avoid egg yolks as much as possible...egg whites r rich in protein...whereas,egg yolk is rich in cholesterol & other minerals... & vadai or any other fried snack is defenitely not the right thing when on a diet to reduce weight... 1 pcs chicken?... Hmmm...how do I interpret this 1 pcs... :roll: I recommend that U buy a kitchen weiging scale before U start the diet...it's a worthy investment... Pls let me know if U find it difficult to understand/interpret/apply my diet chart ... Also,I will try to chart a diet plan for you for 7 days so that it'll be easier for U... pls give me sometime coz I'm still struggling with the jet lag... will be alright in a day or 2...I'll try to give the meal plan then...

pr
28th May 2005, 08:42 AM
Hi Dev
Hope u did ur exams very well .Wish u the very best .
I'm waiting for ur diet chart for my friend who is pregnant .
Hoping to c u active after ur jetlag is over .
Thanks and Regards
PR

dev
28th May 2005, 09:11 AM
Aiyoo...sry PR... jetlag ellam over...aanal somberi thanamai iruku... Am leaving to India on june 8th for a short trip... Will do something abt the diet before I leave... Pls let me know any complications she has... even minor complications coz as she's carrying, I need to be very careful with the diet...

pr
28th May 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi DEv
No complications Except she has to gain only 15 to 20 pounds max as she is already overweight .
Thanks
PR

kavithasenthil
30th May 2005, 05:54 AM
Dear dev,
Hope u remember me and u finished ur exams well. I expect my diet plan from you,u told will give in june. I like to hear from you soon. thks.

dev
30th May 2005, 09:06 AM
Kavitha & PR,

Pls chk ur PM...

Kavitha Ravi
30th May 2005, 11:20 AM
Dear Dev,
I have a aunty who is 63 years old.
She is 5 feet and 6 inches tall.
She weighs 80 kg.
She suffers from pressure and has diabetic.
She has asked me to ask you for a complete diet list for a week.
She assures you that she will strictly follow it.
She does not go for any walks, just the house work.
( Looking after 3 naughty grandchildren is enough excercise she thinks )
Please help her if you have the time.
Thanks.
Kavitha ravi

dev
30th May 2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Kavitha Ravi,

Hope you've read thru my previous posts... I'll not be able to do any diet plans until august ... Until then ask her to follow these simple rules...
1. Oil/fat consumption limited to 3 teaspoons(ie,1 tbsp or 15ml) a day.
2.avoid eating egg yolk,coconut as much as possible.
3. Do not eat red meat.
4. Chicken & fish can be had but remove the skin & visible fat before cooking.Never deep fry foods.
5.Reduce the quantity of rice consumed & eat more of veg & fruits. make sure to eat dhal everyday but in moderation.
6. Use non-fat or very low fat milk & curds. Avoid full fat milk pdts unless it's for growing childern.
7.limit sugar consumption to the mini possible.
8.Avoid any form of fried foods. U may have it in moderation,say once in a month or so.
9.try to add whole grains wherever possible...ex:have chapathis instead of maida parota , have wheat(brown) bread instead of white bread etc.
10. Try to dedicate 1/2 hr for walking...atleast 5 days a week... Unless U do all housework urself without the help of modern household equip like grinder,mixie,washing machine etc... Looking after kids,I don't think is enough of exercise...It's just the mental pressure that makes you feel tired when U r looking after kids...
11.Never skip any meal. Try to have dinner 3-4hrs before bedtime.
Avoid heavy dinners.
12.Drink atleast 2 litres of water per day unless advised otherwise by ur physician.

Since ur aunt has diabeties,it'll be of much help if she can go for regular walks. Walking at moderate speed also will do as she's already 63yrs old...

If she can follow all the above said,she'll surely feel better & may reduce some weight too. Will do something abt the diet plan in aug... Sry to put you waiting for so long... But it's unavoidable due to my personal work schedule...Sry abt it... Also,I'll give a diet plan as to what U can eat per day...u can plan ur weekly diet accordingly...

Pls let me know what her goal is...does she want to reduce weight or just maintain it?...

pr
30th May 2005, 07:12 PM
Dear Dev
Here R the details u have asked for .
Current weight : 163 LBS
Target weight : 175 to 180 LBS
She is in second trimester , She will be completing 5 months in another 10 days .
I think weight gain allowed per week is half pound .
Height : 5 feet 2 inches .
AS she has staretd gaining weight after her first trimester nausea is over , she is very much concerned . Hoping to receive a diet plan from u soon . I know u will be busy with india trip preparations .. Have a nice trip ..
Enna ore trip mela trip aaa poitu irukiringo . ??
Thanks
PR

dev
31st May 2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks PR... I understand ur friend's situ... that's Y I've kept her diet need on the top of the list... Next comes Kavithasenthil's diet... Also,I'm planning to stop charting diets due to time constraints + I lost the enthusiasm to chart diets coz I find that not many who got the diet chart from me are serious abt it... So no point in just burning my time for it... I consider my time to be precious... I'll just post info whichever I come across so that whoever is interested can be benefited from it...

dev
31st May 2005, 08:08 AM
What is a Calorie?

A calorie is a unit of energy. We tend to associate calories with food, but they apply to anything containing energy. For example, a gallon (about 4 liters) of gasoline contains about 31,000,000 calories. Actually, calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit). One calorie is equal to 4.184 joules, a common unit of energy used in the physical sciences.

Most of us think of calories in relation to food. It turns out that the calories on a food package are actually kilocalories (1,000 calories = 1 kilocalorie). The word is sometimes capitalized to show the difference, but usually not. A can of soda containing 200 food calories contains 200,000 regular calories, or 200 kilocalories. A food calorie contains 4,184 joules. The same applies to exercise -- when a fitness chart says you burn about 100 calories for every mile you jog, it means 100 kilocalories.

dev
31st May 2005, 08:12 AM
From now on, for the discussion,I'll use calorie in place of kilocalorie.

The number of calories in a food is a measure of how much potential energy that food possesses. A gram of carbohydrates has 4 calories, a gram of protein has 4 calories, and a gram of fat has 9 calories. Foods are a compilation of these three building blocks. So if you know how many carbohydrates, fats and proteins are in any given food, you know how many calories, or how much energy, that food contains.

Our bodies "burn" the calories through metabolic processes, by which enzymes break the carbohydrates into glucose and other sugars, the fats into glycerol and fatty acids and the proteins into amino acids . These molecules are then transported through the bloodstream to the cells, where they are either absorbed for immediate use or sent on to the final stage of metabolism in which they are reacted with oxygen to release their stored energy.

dev
2nd June 2005, 03:53 PM
Hi PR...I'm extremely sorry to tell U this... I'll not be able to do the diet plan for ur friend as promised... I wanted to read a bit about pregnancy wait gain before charting the diet...But due to personal commitments,I'm not able to find time for it... Am very sorry about it... I feel very guilty for not being able to keep up my promise...

All I can do now is give some suggestions... Pls see my reply to Kavitha Ravi's query... but ur friend can be a bit more lenient like taking egg yolk once or twice a week,adding a bit more oil etc... Ask her to avoid fried foods & eat more of vegs & fruits... She can have small meals often...say 5 small meals instead of 3 heavy meals... Ask her to go for short walks daily...maybe 15-20 mins or as much as she feels comfortable... i don't believe in putting one on strict diet when she's carrying... Just ask her to be watchful abt fat & carb intake... It would be better if she can avoid store bought food/snacks as most of the ready to eat food contain huge amts of sodium/sugar... being a bit watchful by itself will help one to avoid too much weight gain...I wish her all the best for a pleasant & safe pregnency...

pr
3rd June 2005, 11:25 PM
Dear Dev
Thats fine . Thank u very much for ur efforts ..
Regards
Pr

dev
4th June 2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for understanding my situ,PR...:)

Kavitha Ravi
4th June 2005, 08:02 PM
Dear Dev,Sorry for the late reply.Even though disappointed, I really understand your situation.I have explained to my aunty about you.
She wants to loose about 10 kg.
I explain to her about calories. I will guide her with your informations.We will wait till you are free.
I know that it takes lot of time and effort on your part.
Thanks Dev.

Raghu
10th June 2005, 04:31 PM
Dear all

I will take charge of this thread till dev returns back in about a month time, any questions regarding loosing weights, fire away :D

dev
16th June 2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Raghu,

That would be great... :thumbsup: Keep going pa...

Raghu
16th June 2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Raghu,

That would be great... :thumbsup: Keep going pa...

No problem that's what friends are for :wink:

gv
17th June 2005, 02:37 AM
Rajsand
Can you post the spinach recipe which dev posted :D

Thanks
GV

rajsand
18th June 2005, 02:02 AM
I hope nobody minds posting a recipe here..anyways, its a health recipe

Here it is gv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did some alterations..I cooked everything together , dals and vegetables and spinach in the cooker for 1 whislte. Just left it there.
I didnt blend it as it got mushy as it is..add all spices. Very healthy and tasty too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a healthy wholesome subzi...It's Spinach veg subzi...
- by DEV

Ingredients:

Yellow moong dhal : 50 gms
Spinach : 1 medium bunch or 1 cup( 1.5 litres cup)
garlic : 2
ginger : 1' piece
green chillies : 1
vegetables(carrot,cauliflower,yellow(sweet) corn) :500 gms
salt & chilli powder : to taste

Boil the veg in water seperately...there should not be any water left after cooking the veg...so add minimal water...

cook the moong dhal,coarsely chopped spinach,garlic,ginger & g.chilles in a cooker for 1 whistle...let cool & churn in a mixie to make a coarse paste(needn't be very smooth)...

add the spinach paste,salt & chilli powder to the veg & let it simmer for a minute...Serve hot with chapathis... the final product must be thick & not watery...So take care in adding water to the veg...

Variations:

1.can add tomatoes while cooking the dhal & add a bit of garam masala for a more spicier version...
2. can do the same using boiled eggs instead of vegetables...
3.spinach chicken will also be good...in this case make it a bit spicier to make it tastier...

Tip:

The bitterness of spinach varies...I've added dhal to mitigate the sourness...The traditional recipe uses cream instead of dhal & paneer instead of vegetables...In order to make it healthy,I've made these modifications...
The sweetness of the carrot & corn also helps in mitigating the sourness of spinach to some extent...U can vary the amount of spinach if u find it's bitter using the measurements given above...

bye

gv
18th June 2005, 03:12 AM
Thanks Rajsand
Will try and let u know
Thanks
GV

Raghu
9th July 2005, 12:55 AM
Devuda Devuda ezhumalai devuda

where are you, these days :roll:

dev
12th July 2005, 11:09 AM
:D ... Am in India pa...

dev
19th July 2005, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

I'm back after a long break... Anyone in need of tips on healthy lifestyle,post ur queries... Will try to help out...:)

svasu_ani
19th July 2005, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm back after a long break... Anyone in need of tips on healthy lifestyle,post ur queries... Will try to help out...:)

welcome back dev, Trip eppadi irrunthathu...nalla enjoy panningala?

dev
19th July 2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks Ani...Trip was pretty good pa... The most exciting thing is that I've cleared the CPA exams... Am very happy abt it...:) 8)

svasu_ani
21st July 2005, 02:58 AM
Thanks Ani...Trip was pretty good pa... The most exciting thing is that I've cleared the CPA exams... Am very happy abt it...:) 8)

congrats ....

kelly
23rd July 2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Dev,
well come back. Congrats on passing the exam. So how are things with u.

dev
26th July 2005, 01:36 AM
Hi Kelly,

Thanks a lot... Are you sticking on to the diet these days?.... In case u need any help,let me know...

kelly
27th July 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Dev,
I'm still on the diet plan. in 1 1/2 month manage to lose 1 kg only. I'm finding it difficult to exercise regularly.

dev
27th July 2005, 03:14 PM
Kelly,

If U stick to the diet very strictly+3 to 4 days exercise(1/2 hr walk),U can lose more than what U've lost ...1 kg in 1 1/2 months is too less...Anyways,try ur best...:)

Raghu
11th August 2005, 06:35 PM
devuda,

nee eppa Moderator Hubber aanapa aana? :roll: :shock: :twisted: :lol:

dev
11th August 2005, 06:58 PM
:wink: :lol: ...10 days aachu pa...

Raghu
12th August 2005, 02:43 PM
:wink: :lol: ...10 days aachu pa...

Ennapa exam ezhuthiniya, moderator hubber avathathuku enna qualification pa qualification, naa senior hubber irunthum moderator hubber ahalaye :twisted: :lol: , just kidding pa kiddding

cha intha vadivelu style -a vidave mudiyalapa mudiyala

any way, let me get to the point!

What food is good for healthy skin?, and how much of that should i eat, i know fuits/ved/nuts are good but which veg/fruits/nuts are good, and what portion should be consumed?

I guess Spinach/Brocolli are good for ur skin, right?

dev
15th August 2005, 07:11 AM
I don't have a specific diet for healthy skin... I'll try to get some info abt it soon...

Kateangeline
15th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Hi Dev,

It is great to see your commitment in helping people lead a healthier life.Hats off to you.Can you please draft a diet chart-indian style for me.I am 5 feet & weigh 60kgs. :cry: The problem is I have to cook for me & my hubby(who is on the skinnier side) So I cannot compromise much on the oil etc as I don't want him to reduce anymore.So please draft a plan that would suit us both.I would really appreciate it.Any good exercise plan u can recommend will also be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time & efforts,
Kate.

dev
15th August 2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Kate...thanks...

First of all,I would like to inform you that there is no use in gaining/maintaining weight from fat/oil... If a person is thin,that needn't necessarily mean he is weak... You can see a lot of ppl who r thin but r very strong coz they have lots of lean body mass than fat...So,U needn't try to use more oil to maintain ur husb's weight...
Instead, eat healthier food & try to add on to lean body mass(muscles)...

Regarding the diet chart...hmmm...I'm sorry but I've to say that I've charted a diet for 5 to 6 hubbers here...& only one hubber followed it properly & achieved weight loss... Most others don't seem to follow the diet or exercise plan... So I've decided that I'm not charting any more diets coz I don't want to see my time & effort going direct to the waste bin...In fact, I did a couple of charts in between my exam prep...But not many really made good use of it...

ok,Incase U've real intrest & r ready to put in efforts to lose weight, pls read thru my previous posts & U'll get a fairly good idea as to what to eat & what not to...Reg exercise,I would recommend 30-45 mins brisk walk everyday...Try reading the posts & let me know if U have any doubts...

deepali128
15th August 2005, 09:46 PM
hello Dev/fellow hubbers,

i regularly read your thread,it's really good thread. i was wondering would u spare some time for me. it's basicaly for my hubby who has really hectic schedule works 7 days and 10 hours and always stressed out. takes only outside food for lunch. he is healthy but i am really concered abt his health because of hectic schedule. could u give me some heath tips. i want to give some vitamins but don't much about it. i will really appreciate if you or friends give some advice.thanx

Deepali

Kateangeline
15th August 2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Dev,

I have decided to try out Anandhi's diet.Will that suit me?Jus' thought to check up with u before starting the same.

Thanks,
Kate.

dev
16th August 2005, 06:44 AM
hello Dev/fellow hubbers,

i regularly read your thread,it's really good thread. i was wondering would u spare some time for me. it's basicaly for my hubby who has really hectic schedule works 7 days and 10 hours and always stressed out. takes only outside food for lunch. he is healthy but i am really concered abt his health because of hectic schedule. could u give me some heath tips. i want to give some vitamins but don't much about it. i will really appreciate if you or friends give some advice.thanx

Deepali

Hi Deepali,

I don't recommend any vitamin substitutes unless the situation demands otherwise... In most cases,U can provide ur body with all necessary vitamins & minerals thru' a proper healthy diet...If you read thru the previous posts,U'll find a lot of health tips as to diet & exercise...also I've given details as to the RDA of each vitamin & minerals...

dev
16th August 2005, 06:49 AM
Hi Dev,

I have decided to try out Anandhi's diet.Will that suit me?Jus' thought to check up with u before starting the same.

Thanks,
Kate.

Kate,

Anandhi's (or any other's diet for that reason) will not suit you...coz I custom make each diet to balance as much micro nutrients as possible for each persons height,weight,age,activity level etc etc...

Your calorie intake shouldn't exceed 1200kcals/day if u need to lose weight...

dsankaran
17th August 2005, 01:35 AM
Hi Dev,

Very impressive thread. Started reading this from the beginning (yesterday) and couldn't stop.. Anyway, here I am posting a reply after reading through most of the information. Hats off to your patience and attitude in helping people out with their weight issues.

I myself need to lose a lot of wt after two pregnancies. Have read a lot about balanced diet etc etc.. just need to drag myself out of bed a little early to take time to exercise regularly and keep my mind off those horrible sugary foods.

In the last 2 yrs I have got onto the diet/exercise bandwagon only to fall off it in a week or two.. Having parents and in-laws alternate their visit every six months hasn't helped much. They are typical rice eaters and I just couldn't manage cooking separately for myself amidst a full time job , a baby and a toddler and cooking elaborate meals (twice a day). Oh don't get me wrong, they were of great help with the kids.. but their paasam in forcing me to eat sambar-rasam and curd every day didn't help at all.. to top it off, they go, "Oh you are not fat at all" - who are they kidding! :( Yes I am just a nice looking pear!

Now that we are on our own (yeah!!!!) I can run my own schedule. I was desperately hunting for an Indian balanced diet.. all the info in this thread has helped a lot.. now all that's left is for me to get disciplined and follow it.

I won't write my weight here.. I am a terribly shy person, you see! But, I will post as soon as I see some results.

For starters, I ran to the store during lunch and got some salad greens, fruits, tofu, low fat milk and a weighing scale.. oh I got brown rice too. My sister swears by it.. gotta try it.

Take care, y'all

D

kritica
17th August 2005, 02:19 AM
Hi Dev,
can i follow the diet u have designed for anandi...
let me knw
kritica

Anandi
17th August 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi dev,
what is the advantage of brown rice? how many calories are in it (and white rice>). What cab we do with eat?

dev
17th August 2005, 08:28 AM
dsankaran,All the best... :thumbsup:

Kritica,Anandhi's diet was custom made for Anandhi... I cannot assure you that U'll lose weight if U follow Anandhi's or anyone else's diet...Neither can I assure you that it'll suit you the best...

Anandhi,brown rice is better than white rice coz it contains more of the micro & macro nutirents than white rice...calories wise,they r almost the same...Brown rice needs a bit of getting used to... One easy recipe with brown rice is ths...Brown rice kanji...

Yellow moong dhal-1 cup(dry roast it)
Brown rice-2 cups(put it in the mixie & break it into small bits...just break a pearl into 3 or 4 pieces)

put the dhal in the cooker & cook till 1/2 done...Now add the rice,salt,a bit of jeera & a lot of water...pressure cook till done & it's of a semi-liquid consistency...add a drop of ghee(1/2 tsp-1 tsp)... :wink:

This goes well with a coconut chutney...but since I try to avoid coconut,I have it as it is or with other chutneys without coconut...But never found any chutney to be as good as this one... So ,i do have it with coconut chutney once in a couple of months... :wink: :lol:

Dry roast some shredded coconut & dry chillies...roast until the coconut turns light brown & you get a nice flavour...grind it with salt...This chutney is made hot so that U consume only les of the chutney...It should be so hot that U can afford to eat just 1 spoon of this chutney for a meal...

dsankaran
17th August 2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your wishes Dev. Yesterday was my first clean diet day in months. Actually made veggie kurma substituting 2 tbsp of extra firm tofu (steamed) for coconut. And I didn't fry the masala paste at all.. just boiled it with veggies.. even my husband (who turns his nose up at the name of tofu) didn't detect my con job :)

Still trying to get to the 2.5 litres of H2O target.

Anandi, Some people say that brown rice has a tad more fibre content in it as compared to white rice.. however, this is my sister's theory.. brown rice doesn't taste as good with regular sambar rasam and is a little bit chewier in texture.. so you tend to eat lesser compared to white rice.. I thought it was a nice trick that could work in my favour. My sis (younger actually) is a big diet/ exercise fan and lost a bunch of punds 3 yrs ago through lifestyle changes and strict exercise.... so I treat her as my big sis whne it comes to advise related to that stuff.

- D

dev
17th August 2005, 07:53 PM
It's true that brown rice contains more fibre than white rice...U can even try dhalia(broken wheat in place of rice...

kritica
18th August 2005, 03:56 AM
hi dev
i was wondering if u have any substitute for oil..... thanks for letting me know about the diet... could u give me some recipes which are high fibre but low in oil and fat.... will be greatful
kritica

dev
18th August 2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Kritica,

I don't know abt any substi for oil... The max we can do is to reduce oil to the min possible... Anyways,a normal healthy human needs 3 tsp=1tbsp=15ml of oil... That'll be sufficient for everyday cooking...

Regarding recipes,I'll type out when I find time... All whole grains & dhals r rich in fibre...also fruits & vegs...

Kateangeline
18th August 2005, 04:05 PM
Hi Dev,

I would just try to follow up on your guidelines in the last few pages & start up my weight loss program.Will keep u updated.

Regards,
Kate

Raghu
18th August 2005, 05:50 PM
hi dev
i was wondering if u have any substitute for oil..... thanks for letting me know about the diet... could u give me some recipes which are high fibre but low in oil and fat.... will be greatful
kritica

Hi

There is a Pan or wok, that you can buy, in USA /UK, which DOES NOT REQUIRE oil to fry things!, I have used it, u can fry egg, chillies/onions even paratha without a single drop of oil indeed, very healthy, but not for the tongue, cos it does not taste that good :(

Ur Avatar is an avatar of Mr.Sudhama sir, ppl may get confused by looking at it, it may be good idea to change, just a kind request, thanks :D

Devuda,

Isn't Tofu full of protein?, What is it made out of?

thanks Devuda :D

dsankaran
18th August 2005, 07:27 PM
Raghu,

Tofu is made from soy bean milk. Kinda like paneer, except that this is made from soy milk.. so yes it is high in protein content. This is my layman reply. Dev probably knows more on the nutrient info on this.

All, BTW, I saw this article on MSN today. Check this out if time permits:

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100108788

Had a fabulous day y'day with exercise and all. Ate one tsp of icecream as it was a friend's B'day celeb at work. (Boo hoo - I worked out extra 10 minutes - does that count?)

- D

dsankaran
18th August 2005, 07:37 PM
Oh and forgot to write about the brown rice I had yesterday. For all my apprehensions, tasted great. I took advice from this thread and microwaved 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice with 1/2 cup water for 3 minutes, then added 1/4 cup more water and pressure cooked for 3 whistles. Next time I think I would try cooking it with 1:2.5 (rice:water) ratio. I don't know if my mind fooled me... but it actually I felt lighter than usual after eating brown rice. (For the benefit of all those people who don't have a weighing scale for now: 1/4 cup rice = 40 gms, 1/3 cup wheat flour = 75 gms (approx)

Enjoy!

D

dev
18th August 2005, 08:19 PM
Good link D...Thanks...:)

Keep going...Seems like U r doing a good job...Actually,this is what I want others who want a diet chart from me to do...First read thru the previous posts...Understand as many facts as possible abt our body req & then start the diet...there is no point in me giving a diet & they following it blindly... I want ppl to understand what good they r doing to their body/health by following a healthy diet...Only that will motivate them to change to a healthy lifestyle...:)

dev
18th August 2005, 09:21 PM
Devuda,

Isn't Tofu full of protein?, What is it made out of?

thanks Devuda :D

Raghu uncle:wink: :lol: , diff types of tofu contain diff amt of protein(varies from 10gms to 20 gms per 100gm of tofu)...chk the nutrition lable b'fore u buy...It's made from soya...

Raghu
19th August 2005, 04:33 PM
Raghu uncle:wink: :x :evil: :twisted:

ada paveeghala

It's Ok Dev, I can understand ur frustration, me being young, handsome bollywood hero :wink: :lol: :lol:

Raghu
19th August 2005, 04:36 PM
Raghu,

Tofu is made from soy bean milk. Kinda like paneer, except that this is made from soy milk.. so yes it is high in protein content. This is my layman reply. Dev probably knows more on the nutrient info on this.

All, BTW, I saw this article on MSN today. Check this out if time permits:

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100108788

Had a fabulous day y'day with exercise and all. Ate one tsp of icecream as it was a friend's B'day celeb at work. (Boo hoo - I worked out extra 10 minutes - does that count?)

- D

Thanks man, the article is very interesting indeed, by the way, how did u manage just one teaspoon of ice cream? :lol: :lol:

dsankaran
19th August 2005, 08:40 PM
Simple, accept the scoop of icecream with a smile, eat 1 tsp and dump the rest in the trashcan when no one is looking (before that I had to overcome this evil thought in my mind asking me to gobble it up)

Had a good day yesterday too. No cheating on diet or exercise.. but could drink only 6 glasses of water.

- D

Raghu
19th August 2005, 09:04 PM
dsankaran

Good stuff man,I also have this determination when it comes to junk food, but when I am really hungry, then rules and regulations are meant to be broken :lol: :lol:

dsankaran
20th August 2005, 01:40 AM
Dev and others,

I made a subzi with soy chunks (the box you get in Indian store - I believe the brand name is Ruchi). It tasted good - so good - so here is my question - Are these deep fried when they are processed and get made into chunks? The box says that it is texturised protein. I like tofu but this stuff was definitely very tasty that I doubt and fear that there must have been some deep frying done before packaging. Can someone in the know, please help clear this up.

Thanks
D

dev
20th August 2005, 07:51 AM
Generally,soya chunks aren't deep fried... But I've never used Ruchi brand... will chk it up when I go to the store next time & let u know... If there's a nutrition table on the box,pls post the nutri facts... I'll be able to make out from that...

dev
21st August 2005, 10:34 AM
French fries can lead to cancer...

http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/aug/19fries.htm

Yamuna
27th August 2005, 04:44 PM
Hi Dev,
Potatoes, yam etc. are said to increase weight, but how can carrot also be a weight increasing veggie, when it is one of the healthiest vegetable around ?

Does consuming it in raw, juice form make any difference or is equally promoting weight increase like cooked carrots ?
Hope you can clarify,
Thanks.

MysoreHudugi
27th August 2005, 05:11 PM
French fries can lead to cancer...

http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/aug/19fries.htm

What about Potato chips then?

CI.

dev
27th August 2005, 08:16 PM
Hi Yamuna,

Any vegs that grow below the soil(root vegs like carrot,beetroot,potatoes etc) r rich in starch...Vegs rich in stratch doesn't mean U need to avoid them completely...U can take them in moderation so as to limit the carbs u consume...If the supply of carbs is equal to the carbs demanded by ur body,U'll not put on weight...

dev
27th August 2005, 08:20 PM
Hi CI,

I don't know abt potato chips... But french fries,generally,r fried in the fat taken from pork...maybe that plays a part...

Yamuna
28th August 2005, 12:34 AM
Got it Dev ! Thanks for the instant reply.

dev
28th August 2005, 07:36 PM
[tscii:8634d692bd]From today’s “Hindustan Times”:

Cancer suit against big chips

Potato chips and French fries could soon come with a warning label in California if the state’s top attorney prevails in a lawsuit filed on Friday against nine fast food chains and snack-food makers.

Attorney General Bill Lockyer asked for a court order requiring McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, Frito Lay and other companies to warn consumers that their fries and chips may contain acrylamide, a chemical the state says causes cancer.

Acrylamide, a byproduct of chemicals and high heat, has been found at low levels in several foods. The lawsuit focuses on French fries and chips because they have more acrylamide than other foods, according to the attorney general’s office.

Courtesy: PP madam from misc section...:)[/tscii:8634d692bd]

Raghu
2nd September 2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Dev,
Potatoes, yam etc. are said to increase weight, but how can carrot also be a weight increasing veggie, when it is one of the healthiest vegetable around ?

Does consuming it in raw, juice form make any difference or is equally promoting weight increase like cooked carrots ?
Hope you can clarify,
Thanks.

Hi,

It does not matter wether u eat carrot or meat or lard, as you long as u burn off everything u eat, u will never ever put on weight.

Hi dev

Are Badams good for skin/hair?, I heard soime where that soaking few badams over night in water and eating them in the morning is good is 4 ur brain as well, any ideas?

dev
3rd September 2005, 12:15 PM
Badam is said to be good for the skin...Dunno the reason behind it... For the brain & hair...I'm not very sure... If U want a good skin & supple body,try yoga... it works magic...

Raghu
8th September 2005, 03:35 PM
Badam is said to be good for the skin...Dunno the reason behind it... For the brain & hair...I'm not very sure... If U want a good skin & supple body,try yoga... it works magic...

thanks Devuda :)

Mini
12th September 2005, 07:38 PM
is panangalkandu supposed to b healthier than sugar, can using this as a substitute for sugar reduce the calorie intake?

dev
12th September 2005, 10:20 PM
Hi mini,

I'm not sure how & from what panangarkandu is made of... So,will not be able to comment on this... I use raw sugar(brown) or karumbu sakkarai insted of white sugar...caloriw wise,not much difference but a lot less processing & chemicals,making it a healthier choice...also ,I make it a point to buy the costly sugar in the market(around $5 per 500gms) so that I always think twice before using sugar... Believe me,this has helped me take control over making sweets too often... :wink: :lol:

Sowmya
12th September 2005, 10:25 PM
I make it a point to buy the costly sugar in the market(around $5 per 500gms) so that I always think twice before using sugar... Believe me,this has helped me take control over making sweets too often... :wink: :lol:

Dev
Very sensible idea. :D

Regards
Sowmya

R
12th September 2005, 11:33 PM
My mother use to say that though panagarkandu is good for cough, but, excess of using the same will produce heat!

kavithasenthil
13th September 2005, 01:31 AM
Panagkarkandu is made from panai vellam(karupati). It won't produce heat. In India ppl use panagkarkandu when they get chickenpox. It is consumed to make the body cool during those sick time. I am 100% sure.

Mini
13th September 2005, 05:12 PM
the best of all, i like dev's idea of getting the costliest in the market. sure that'll help.

Sudhaama
13th September 2005, 08:55 PM
the best of all, i like dev's idea of getting the costliest in the market. sure that'll help.

To adopt such a BLIND-FORMULA as the Criteria or Basis... is not only DANGEROUS and DECEPTIVE ...

.. but also may result in WRONG-SELECTION .. pertaining to anything in Life.

For example... One of the much publicised and the COSTLIEST TV- Brand Products in India... is NOT AT ALL THE BEST...Nor even the Good.

Similarly some of the less-publicised Indian-products, including the Foods and Medicines... although much cheaper by Price ...

... are in NO WAY INFERIOR ... than some of the COSTLIEST .. Imported ones... despite the High-push by means of Publicity behind..

In brief... the Best Guiding-factor can be the Sincere Adjudgement by the Open- minded Consumers.

"PANAM-KARKANDU" (Palm-Gur-Sugar) and KARUPPATTI (Palm-Gur) ... the Products from Palm-Tree (Panai-Maram) are much better for health in several aspects...

.. than the Sugar-cane Products like WHITE-SUGAR (Cheeni)... and ... GUR (Vellam).

The Palm-tree products cause the Cool-effect in the Body... while the other Option is Contrary.

In general, the Karuppatti and Panam-Karkandu consumers, We can find healthier than the others.

For example... we can note this phenomena in the people of the Villages in Thirunelveli District in India....

.. who are comparatively HEALTHIER AT A LESS COST.

Kz
14th September 2005, 04:16 AM
Dev,
What kind of fruits are good for sugar patients? are olives high cholestrol? iknow olive oil is good but how abt olives itself?

Kz

Mini
14th September 2005, 06:10 PM
Sudhaama, u r rite.
my basic question was to know if using panang karkandu is lesser in calories than sugars and if i can substitute it in place of sugar regularly.

rajsand
23rd September 2005, 03:23 AM
Just wanted to share this with every vegetarian.

This is a fact ...!!!
This website talks about how some cheese are non-veg

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cheese.html
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cattle.html#welf

Please do read. Know some people will not like it.. but there is no harm in gathering info..

Good luck
rajsand

dev
26th September 2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Mr.Sudhaama,

Yes,U r right... costlier ones doesn't mean it is the best... What my point was,in case U don't have self-control on the sugars U eat,try imposing such other controls like buying costlier ones so that U think twice before U use it...

I buy demerara unrefined cane sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar... I've tried karupatti & panam karkandu etc...But I wasn't able to stand the strong flavours of those... So,I felt the next better choice was unrefined sugars,.. So moved to this...Also,since I have a sweet tooth, I try such tricks to control my urge to make sweets too often...

pr
6th October 2005, 09:52 AM
Hi dev
How healthy r the salad dressings ? any idea abt it .. could u pls post some healthy salad recipes if u have some ..
Thanks
Pr

dev
6th October 2005, 10:45 AM
Hi pr,

Most salad dressings available commercially contain lots of fat in it... Check the nutrition lable for more info... If you have any specific dressing in mind,let me know...I can chk & tell u how healthy it is...

Most of the salads I make contains vegs like carrots,cucumber,boiled peas,sprouts,cooked kabuli channa,lettuce,cabbage,tomato,capscicum ,onions,cooked beetroot,cooked mashed potatoes,boiled eggs(whites only) etc...You can take any combination you wish or a single veg or dhal... & dressings would be mostly salt,g.chilles & lemon juice... I sometimes use tomato sauce or crushed pepper/soy sauce added to olive oil as dressing... Salads r purely your imagination...I've posted a sprouts & carrot salad recipe in sprots thread...chk it out...You can also add fruits like orange to the salad...

Here's another simple vegs salad... Chop onions,cabbage,carrots & capscium(very less) into thin long strips... ca add cucumber too... add salt,chilles & lemon juice...mix well & let sit in the fridge for around 2 hrs...serve chilled with any tandoori snack(tandoori chicken/vegs etc)...

Another of my fav is buttered vegs...boil some baby carrots orvertically sliced carrots ,tender beans,broccoli & any other vegs of your choice...add a tsp butter in a pan...add the vegs,salt, pepper(optional)...saute for a few secs on low flame...

Raghu
6th October 2005, 01:16 PM
Hi pr,

Most salad dressings available commercially contain lots of fat in it... Check the nutrition lable for more info... If you have any specific dressing in mind,let me know...I can chk & tell u how healthy it is...

true , cos it contains lot of salad cream

can some one tell me some good food and types of vitamins which are essential for good hair growth?? :cry: :cry:

dev
6th October 2005, 02:08 PM
not only fat...tined food contain tonnes of preservatives too... :evil:

Raghu,I feel so sorry for you pa... :wink: :lol: Will try to find out something abt nutri for hair growth for you...BTW, I hear tht curry leaves are good for ur hair...Also, there is a herb called 'thoothuvalai' which is said to be good for ur hair... Try out scalp massage to strengthen the roots...It might reduce hairfall...

Sanguine Sridhar
6th October 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi pr,

can some one tell me some good food and types of vitamins which are essential for good hair growth?? :cry: :cry:

Raghu,
If u apply the (only) white portion of the egg ..You can avoid this thing moreover....You can see improvement of the hair growth also...White portion of the egg wont give stinky smell...

Sanguine Sridhar
6th October 2005, 06:18 PM
Somebody was talking about Sugar patients....My dad is also a sugar patient

He is very strict about his diet and he is maintaing it

He will take Ragi sticks,Ragi dosa,Idly,Chapathi (No poori),Wheat Upma,He will take more salad,Little rice ...but more vegetables....

pr
7th October 2005, 07:05 AM
Dev
Thanks for ur explanation . I,ll check out the nutrition label b4 buying ..
Regards
Pr

dev
7th October 2005, 07:50 AM
Raghu,

Chk out Keratin.com & hairloss-reversible.com... U might be able to get some useful info...:)

Raghu
7th October 2005, 08:35 PM
not only fat...tined food contain tonnes of preservatives too... :evil:

Raghu,I feel so sorry for you pa... :wink: :lol: Will try to find out something abt nutri for hair growth for you...BTW, I hear tht curry leaves are good for ur hair...Also, there is a herb called 'thoothuvalai' which is said to be good for ur hair... Try out scalp massage to strengthen the roots...It might reduce hairfall...

:x :evil: :twisted:

enna nakala :twisted:

any way thanks for the info, since i started to wash less frequently, it has gone stronger now , so :poke:

i was just joking pa, will follow ur advice thanks :lol: :thumbsup:

Raghu
7th October 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi pr,

Raghu,
If u apply the (only) white portion of the egg ..You can avoid this thing moreover....You can see improvement of the hair growth also...White portion of the egg wont give stinky smell...

Hi Becks

so u apply egg white(full of protein) and leave it for some time on ur head and wash it right?, or do u just leave it on ur head for a day?, and how often do u have to do this a week?

cheers dude :D

tomato
8th October 2005, 06:54 AM
Raghu,
I guess beckham meant apply egg white leave it on for some time and then wash off. Anyway lets wait for him to confirm
But would just like to say that whatever u do pls use cool water to rinse it off. My friend once used hot water and she had scrambled eggs sticking to her hair. :lol: :lol:

dev
8th October 2005, 04:20 PM
Tomato,

Tht must've been really funny... :lol:

Sanguine Sridhar
10th October 2005, 11:32 AM
Raghu&Toamato,

I will apply white portion of the egg on the portion where i m loosing a lot (ofocurse forehead :lol: ) and i will leave it for 45 mins or so...then i will rinse it using an ayurvedic shampoo (Himalayan company product) ... I tell u what gud improvement yaar :D Rinse it with cold water...Don use hot water to rinse u're hair...because the pores in u're head will get expanded resulting in lose of hair... :)

Raghu
11th October 2005, 12:56 PM
Raghu,
I guess beckham meant apply egg white leave it on for some time and then wash off. Anyway lets wait for him to confirm
But would just like to say that whatever u do pls use cool water to rinse it off. My friend once used hot water and she had scrambled eggs sticking to her hair. :lol: :lol:

Hi Tomato

tThat was hilarious :rotfl: :rotfl: , did she put salt and pepper too? :lol: , on a serious note poor lady, it mush have been like hell to wash it off :( :cry:

Raghu
11th October 2005, 12:59 PM
Raghu&Toamato,

I will apply white portion of the egg on the portion where i m loosing a lot (ofocurse forehead :lol: ) and i will leave it for 45 mins or so...then i will rinse it using an ayurvedic shampoo (Himalayan company product) ... I tell u what gud improvement yaar :D Rinse it with cold water...Don use hot water to rinse u're hair...because the pores in u're head will get expanded resulting in lose of hair... :)

thanks dude :D , but how often do u have to do this, and how soon did u notice any SIGNIFICANT change? :? :roll:

Arthi
11th October 2005, 01:30 PM
Hi DEV

Could you please frame my DIET Plan... I have already send you a PM about my routine.

Thanx in advance.

dev
11th October 2005, 05:27 PM
Hi Arti,

I didn't receive any PM yet!!!... Anyways, am sry to say this but I've stopped doing diet plans coz most ppl who got the diet chart from me didn't bother to follow it...

Read thrugh the thread from the beginning & U'll get a catch of what to eat & what not to... I heard from one of the hubber y'day tht she has lost 3 kgs following the tips I've given combined with regular exercise...I've given so much info that if u can read thru all those & see the diet charts I've given to other hubbers, U'll get a fairly good idea as to what is to be done... Do your research & stary ur diet+exercise & start losing weight...:)

Arthi
11th October 2005, 06:25 PM
Ok Mam,
Not a problem...
:cry: Yes I have seen all ur posts. It is simply great... with Vast patience u answered all our friends queries. I have send u a PM regarding my problem, so awaited ur reply.

Take this chance to apprieciate u once again

Have a g8 day ahead

Kateangeline
11th October 2005, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks to dev & her tips I have shed 3 kgs & I am really very happy.Of course,I achieved this loss with some diet changes & exercise.Now I am concentrating on the last 2 kgs & trimming up part.The good news is I did have my share of cheat days(even had cheese paratha once ! :lol: ).All the best to arthi & others who want to lose weight!

Thanks once again Dev!

Regards,
Kate.

dev
12th October 2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Arthi,

I didn't receive ur PM!!!... can u pls resend it?...

Arthi
13th October 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Arthi,

I didn't receive ur PM!!!... can u pls resend it?...
Hi DEV

I sent u a PM, pls check it out. I will surely follow ur tips/advice/suggestion.. etc ectc pls frame a diet plan for me if possible.

any other information do u need from my side?

Raghu
23rd November 2005, 05:15 PM
Come on ppl. lets activate this thread and be healthy.

what do u say , devuda :)

dev
23rd November 2005, 05:58 PM
Raghu,

I don't qualify to give advices as of now... coz... I've put on a few kgs coz of the sudden laziness that has struck me... So, I wouldn't like to preach until I shed the excess I've put on...;) :)

But making the thread active is a good idea coz that'll help me gain mental strength to fight my laziness...

tfmlover
24th November 2005, 11:09 AM
can some one tell me some good food and types of vitamins which are essential for good hair growth?? :cry: :cry:[/quote]

healthy hair needs xtra protein
beat 2 eggs with half cup mayonse
wash hair towel dry, then apply the above paste comb ur hair to soak well and
leave it for 1 hr wrapd shwer cap or plastic wrap
rinse well wash with very mild shampoo

B5 & biotin important for thick hair, from diet..green veg

de-tox herb 'kelp' helps too , can buy like nori squares instead of bacon bits use them in ur salads

ask ur dr for cleanser to clean ur filter which is ur liver.. prbly givu 'milk thistle 'capsules

geletin/knox capsules helps too ask ur dr
also for male wellnss 'DHT' blocker widly use ( most made from special Palmetto berries )

generly natural 'Silica' good for nail hair skin.

harsh oxidizer nothing but Chlorine..if you can afford filter ur tap water

Raghu
25th November 2005, 09:38 PM
Raghu,

I don't qualify to give advices as of now... coz... I've put on a few kgs coz of the sudden laziness that has struck me... So, I wouldn't like to preach until I shed the excess I've put on...;) :)

:lol: :lol: ,

Devuda, just joking pa,

This is what u do, burn 700 cal a day and reduce ur cal intake by 700 cal, in that way u loose abt 4kg a month!

Raghu
25th November 2005, 09:44 PM
healthy hair needs xtra protein
beat 2 eggs with half cup mayonse
wash hair towel dry, then apply the above paste comb ur hair to soak well and
leave it for 1 hr wrapd shwer cap or plastic wrap
rinse well wash with very mild shampoo

Many thanks for ur post, really appreciated, what is the use of mayonse her??

B5 & biotin important for thick hair, from diet..green veg

what is Biotin, and where can u get them?

ask ur dr for cleanser to clean ur filter which is ur liver.. prbly givu 'milk thistle 'capsules

U mean an anti oxidant?? to clean ur liver and blood and kidneys?

wellnss 'DHT' blocker widly use ( most made from special Palmetto berries )

can I get this from a Dr?

generly natural 'Silica' good for nail hair skin.

where do i get this from ?

once again many thanks

dev
25th November 2005, 09:54 PM
:lol: :lol: ,

Devuda, just joking pa,

This is what u do, burn 700 cal a day and reduce ur cal intake by 700 cal, in that way u loose abt 4kg a month!

Hmmm... Ellam en neram!!!... :wink: :D

Anyways, buring 700 cal is too much for me... I'll try to reduce weight my way...:)

Sanguine Sridhar
25th November 2005, 10:11 PM
Dev mam check u're PM plz...

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 10:07 AM
hi raghu
all you can get from natural health stores
show it to ur family dr too , if you worry side efcts.
i use cilica .
mayo made mixing egg yolk and cooking oil ( A and E )
and yolk contains protein
mayo hign in protein .
all the A ,D and E its in yolk only . not in white

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 10:31 AM
very good thread this one

milk thistle more than just antioxidant supplement
protectng liver cells from incoming toxins, boost liver to clean automatcaly
when alcohol, drugs, medications taken including pesticides, anesthesia .

antioxidant ! my fav is pomegranate .

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 10:50 AM
---

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 11:56 AM
------

Raghu
28th November 2005, 08:13 PM
very good thread this one

milk thistle more than just antioxidant supplement
protectng liver cells from incoming toxins, boost liver to clean automatcaly
when alcohol, drugs, medications taken including pesticides, anesthesia .

antioxidant ! my fav is pomegranate .

Hi TFMlover,

What is Milk Thistle??

Raghu
28th November 2005, 08:28 PM
hi raghu
all you can get from natural health stores
show it to ur family dr too , if you worry side efcts.
i use cilica .
mayo made mixing egg yolk and cooking oil ( A and E )
and yolk contains protein
mayo hign in protein .
all the A ,D and E its in yolk only . not in white

Hi TFMlover,

York contains protien, :shock: , as far as I know, it is only egg white, which has abt 9g of protein per egg(average) the yrk has mostly fat!

and the same goes for mayo too, I think mayo is seriosuly high in fat.

TFMlover, just wanted to ask u something, how often should u wash ur hair every day, i was it twice a day, and is alcohol bad for ur hair too?, i hear it makes u dehydrated which results in thinning hair by making it dry??

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 04:26 AM
egg yolk contains all the fat, more than half of the protein from 1 whole egg .
white has protein too..but its difent from wats inside yolk..albumen .liver created protein it has

like i mentiond all A D E ( naturl D) is only in the yolk , and plus protein
when mixied with mayo ( made from yolk and any oil ..A and E ) its good for ur hair

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 04:47 AM
if hair toooo oily and exposed to virulent environment? then you know wat to do

always use mild shampoo
then again nourishing oil is from ur own hair.
u don wanu wash that away often ? unless u realy have to .

medium fine hair . you can go weekly

its not just the shampooing , blow drying ,
some brush brush to stimulate the circulation end up damaging hair , be gentle
use moisturizing conditioner
i use leave-in conditioner i spray after drying only with towel , leave it to dry .

(ifu realy wanu wash ur hair everyday n use shampoo try herbl )

Raghu
29th November 2005, 04:23 PM
TFM lover ,

Thanks again for the tips, one more question.

which Oil is good for ur hair?

Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Gingerly oil(sesame seed) or Almond oil? and how often should u oil ur hair, it is now winter in UK, so will that make any different as to how much oil i should apply, and how often ?

Raghu
29th November 2005, 04:24 PM
TFM lover

Ur avatar is sooper keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 09:59 PM
yaaa did you likit? its 'sudharsana chakra for good !
BLADE PAKKIRI' for bad
thanks raghu

Raghu
29th November 2005, 10:04 PM
yaaa did you likit? its 'sudharsana chakra for good !
BLADE PAKKIRI' for bad
thanks raghu

yes, I know it is Sudharshan Chakra, from Lord Krsihna, hence i Said, I loved it, keep it up

:D

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 10:19 PM
wheat germ oil is the best for hair , next olive. (india n herb oils ..but i havnt a clue)
massage cover witn towel leave overnight, wash with mild shampoo
winter or summer always make sure u dont go outside with hair wet
try not to wash hair too often in winter
again its not healthy to be outside after shower , always take before u slp..only ifu hve to go
(i blve u religous u go temple u hve to shower befr)

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 10:28 PM
[yes, I know it is Sudharshan Chakra, from Lord Krsihna, hence i Said, I loved it, keep it up

:D[/quote]

mahavishnu worship lord shiva, gives 1000 flowers a day . oneday short of 1 flower .
mahavishnu plucked his eyes and gave shiva coz he din wanto stop at any cost.lord shiva so happy
by devotion , he gave this disc to him
disc has lotus.
thaamarai kann ' padmaksha .thats how vishnu got that name

Raghu
30th November 2005, 04:16 PM
mahavishnu worship lord shiva, gives 1000 flowers a day . oneday short of 1 flower .
mahavishnu plucked his eyes and gave shiva coz he din wanto stop at any cost.lord shiva so happy
by devotion , he gave this disc to him
disc has lotus.
thaamarai kann ' padmaksha .thats how vishnu got that name

:shock: WOW, never new this, no wonder Sudharshana Chakara is considered very powerful after thirisoolam, thanks for this , b4 Dev deletes this post, y not visit my threads in Indian History & Culture, perhaps you can add valuable posting there, just my sincere request, else dont worry, sorry for the trouble.

gkals
30th November 2005, 09:43 PM
Hi dev,

Some elders say that eating kollu(horse gram) will reduce fat.Is it true?.I have bought a big packet of kollu can u give any recipe like rasam with kollu so that i can reduce my weight.
Also u are doing a very good service by helping us out to be healthy.I also have decided to reduce my weight as i have put on lots of weight after my delivery.Can u please give some tips how to reduce that fat in my tummy(thoppai).One of my friend said eating papaya daily will reduce your tummy.Any tips from u?

Sorry for asking too many question at the same time.

Thanks in advance
Kals

tfmlover
30th November 2005, 11:14 PM
--

dev
1st December 2005, 07:14 AM
Hi dev,

Some elders say that eating kollu(horse gram) will reduce fat.Is it true?.I have bought a big packet of kollu can u give any recipe like rasam with kollu so that i can reduce my weight.
Also u are doing a very good service by helping us out to be healthy.I also have decided to reduce my weight as i have put on lots of weight after my delivery.Can u please give some tips how to reduce that fat in my tummy(thoppai).One of my friend said eating papaya daily will reduce your tummy.Any tips from u?

I don't know abt kollu(But have recipes for kollu papuppu & rasam)...But I've read in some naturopathy/ayurveda books that pappaya is good for weight reduction... Also honey taken in the morning(empty stomach) is said to be good for weight reduction... But after doing these, if one doesn't have control on their diet & exercise, I don't think it'll help much...

If you ask me, I would suggest a balanced diet combined with regular exercise is the safest way to reduce weight... Read my previous posts & U'll get a lot of tips on healthy diet...

dev
1st December 2005, 07:27 AM
Trans fats:

These r fats from hydrogenated veg oil, margarine, veg shortening etc. These fats are said to increase LDL & reduce HDL. LDL are Low Density Lipoproteins & HDL are High Density Lipoproteins. HDL are said to be good cholesterol & LDL is bad cholesterol.

The shocking news that I read in an article Y'day is that almost all the commercially baked food stuffs, fries, fast foods, toppings & dips, frozen food & even noodles & cereals(except a few) contain trans fats. These fats are used to increase the taste & life of the food stuff. Since it is found it almost all commercially available stuff, it's better to avoid(as much as possible) the stuffs mentioned above. But I agree that it's impossible to avoid such stuffs completely. But when U buy such stuffs, read the lable. The nutrition content in the lable will be listed in descending order. So lower down the list such trans fats are found, the better it is. It means less of it is used.

dev
1st December 2005, 02:32 PM
A few healthy recipes...

Sprout moong kuzhambu... It's the same as we make usual curries... heat oil in a pan...add some dry chillies, baby onions(abt 8-10 cut into 2 pieces),channa dhal(optional) & fry a bit...then add cori seeds(3 sps),cumin seeds(1 -1 1/2 spns),a fewpepper corns(4-5) & fry until u get a nice aroma...then add a few tomato pieces(1/2 tomato or to taste) & soya flakes(or soya chunks cooked & grind a bit to make flakes) or coconut & fry for a min...grind this along with some curry leaves,tamarind,turmeric & salt... Add this to the sprouts(100 gms before sprouting) & cook until done...add water,salt & chilli powder as req... season with mustard seeds in 1/2 tsp coconut oil & garnish with cori leaves... The sprouts shouldn't become soft...meaning cook only until the sprouts are 1/2 to 3/4 done...depends on how U would like to have it...

U can make this curry thick or thin as u wish by varying the quantity of channa dhal & coconut/soya... This goes very well with dosa/idly & rice...

Measurement of ingrediens are to ur taste...can make it spicier by varying the measure of cori seeds,cumin & chillies...

dev
1st December 2005, 02:33 PM
Sprout & carrot salad...This is just a variation of Karnataka's famous salad 'Kosambari'...

Sprout green moong dhal- 1 handful or less
Carrots-2 medium sized(shredded)
Salad cucumber-1/2(shredded)
Lemon-to taste
Coriander leaves-a few(chopped)
Green chillies(chopped) or chilli powder-to taste
Salt- to taste

Mix all the above & serve it a bit cool... Sprouts can be added to taste... Depends on how much of the 'thuvarpu' taste u can stand...

Variation: Can add yellow moong dhal (soaked overnight) instead of sprouts...

dev
1st December 2005, 02:34 PM
Here's one of my fav sandwich recipe...I got the recipe from karnataka recipe thread,guess!!!...

Carrot Sandwich:

Onion-1/2(chopped)
Tomato-1/4th to 1/2(seeds removed & chopped)
carrot-1 big(grated)
Chilli powder & salt-as req
garam masala-1/4 tsp
Oil

Heat a tsp of oil...add the onions & saute till tansculent. Add the tomato & salt ,cook for a min...add the chilli powder & garam masala & cook for a few secs until U get a good aroma of the spices...Take care not to burn the spices... Add carrots & cook for a few more mins...Do not add water... Stuff this in between 2 bread slices & toast using a sandwich toaster...This tastes very good if wholemeal/softmeal bread is used in place of white bread.

dev
1st December 2005, 02:35 PM
Pepper peas sandwich:

a small bowl of peas- cook in the microwave for a minute
1 medium tomatoe-chopped
1/2 onion- choppes
Freshly crushed peper- to taste
Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
salt & chilli powder
Jeera & oil

Take a tspn of oil & fry the onions until pinkish... add the tomatoes, jeera & pepper. salt, garam masala & chilli powder....cook until mushy... add a little water if req... Now add the peas & cook until almost dry... make sandwiches using this filling...

PS: The speciality of this filling is the fresh pepper flavour. So make sure you use freshly crushed(not powdered) pepper.

dev
1st December 2005, 02:39 PM
Mushroom curry- from tarladalal.com, if I remember it right

Ingredients
10 large button mushrooms, each cut into 4
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
2 tablespoons onion paste
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
3 tablespoons curds
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
For garnish
2 tablespoons chopped coriander

Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the ginger-garlic paste and the onion paste and saute for some time.
2. Add the tomato puree and chilli powder and stir for some time.
3. Add the mushrooms and saute till they are tender.
4. Finally, add the curd, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
5. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with chapathi

Instead of onion paste,tomato paste & gin-gar paste i chopped everything & sauted onion,gin ,gar in 1 tsp oil...& then added tomatoes..cooked for a min...took off the flame & let cool...& the ground it with chilli powder & added back to the pan & let boil for a while with little water & proceeded as given in the recipe. This way we can reduce the consumption of oil.Remember not to cook for a long time afer adding the curd...just mix it & take off flame...

dev
1st December 2005, 02:48 PM
Coriander chutney: (I guess this is similar to the one posted by Sowmya )

1/2 tsp coriander seeds
2tsp urad dhal
1 red chilli or more
1 medium tomato- chopped
1 onion(3/4th the size of the tomato)- chopped into big pieces
a small bunch or coriander- chopped(needn't be very fine & can use the stem aswell)
a small ball of tamarind(the size of a sundakkai)
salt- to taste

1. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan. Add the urad dhal & coriander seeds. Fry till golden.
2. Add the onions & fry until it turns transparent/ slightly brownish.
3. Add the tomatoes & salt. Cook until the tomato is mashed a bit. 4. Add the coriander & tamarind. Cook until coriander becomes tender(shouldn't change colour). Take off flame & let cool.
5. Grind to a bit coarse paste. Should be thick(like onion chutney).

Goes well with idli,dosa, curd rice & even chapathis, south Indian style veg pulao.

Variation: Can do the same with a mix of mint & coriander or mint alone. Yet to experiment using curry leaves.

dev
1st December 2005, 03:01 PM
South Indian style veg Pulao:

Rice- 250 gms or 1 cup
water- 2 to 2 1/4 cups
Mixed veg(carrot, beans, peas, cabbage potatoes etc) - 500 gms. Cut into big pieces(any shape as U wish)
Ginger- an inch piece(chopped)
Garlic- 2 (chopped)
onion- 1/2 (chopped or sliced)
Green chillies- 1 or 2(slit)
turmeric & chilli powder
Methi seeds(venthiyam)- 1/2 tsp or less
salt- to taste

1.Heat 2 tsp oil in the cooker. Add venthiyam & let it turn golden. This will take just a few seconds. Take care not to brown it.
2. Add the onions, gin & garlic, green chillies & fry till onions turn transparent.
3. Add the vegetables, salt, chilli powder & turmeric powder. Mix well.
4. Add water. Let it become hot. Taste for salt & chillies. Add if required.(should taste a bit salty & hot. Only then the end product will have normal salt & chillies)
5. Add the rice. Close the pressure cooker 7 cook for 2 or 3 whistles. I usually allow 3 whistles if rice is not soaked & 2 whistles if rice is soaked.

Serve with the above coriander chutney & curd or pickle, pappad.

dev
1st December 2005, 03:02 PM
gkals, will post the kollu recipe soon. But I don't have exact measurements.

gkals
1st December 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi dev and tfmlover,

Thanks for clearing my doubts.

Dev...I would love to have your kollu rasam recipe.Thanks in advance and i am planning to start your diet in a day or 2.

Kals

tfmlover
1st December 2005, 11:30 PM
ayurveda tips:
HORSE GRAM (Kulthi)
helps with cough breathing problem due to phlegms, hicups
flatulation, stones and fever ability to eliminates germs and worms.
It causes impurities of bile and blood., inflammation and checks sweating.
Drinking semi liquid solution of horse gram powder cures flatulation.
If horse beans mixed with powdered dry ginger, asafoetida and "veed salt" is taken it cures the pain of the stomach.
If it is used in food it cures disease of the stomach.
If the water in which horse gram had been soaked for the whole night (and is mashed in the same water in the morning) is taken daily, taken twice then it cures "stones".
The use of horse gram in the diet relieves the pain of dry piles.
Drinking the semi liquid mixture of powdered horse gram and powdered black pepper cures sore throat.
Its use in the diet is good for women as their menstruation is purified.
Note
It is harmful for pregnant woman,
or a person suffering from plethora or tuberculosis. It also causes the formation of excessive bile

READ THIS AND SEE IF YOU STILL WANT TO TRY !

i found these details for you double chkd gkals . hope this helps you dertmne

gkals
2nd December 2005, 02:53 AM
Hi tfmlover,

Thanks a lot for spending your time and finding out more about kollu.I really appriciate that.I have a friend who does this kollu rasam almost 3-4 times a week.She said that in karnataka they make it very often and hence i thought that i will give a try.I will try to take it once in a month as i bought a big packet already and will get scolding from my hubby(he searched for it many days and at last found it in newjersey) if i don't use it.

Thanks again
From
kals

dev
2nd December 2005, 06:00 AM
tfmlover,

any idea as to Y & how it's harmful for pregnant woman?

tfmlover
2nd December 2005, 07:21 AM
Ayurvedic diet counsel for pregnant woman ..includes warning about 'vaayu ralated foods ,
which promotes more vaayu causing digesting problems.
that could lead to miscarriage sometimes ,in assimilating food substances .
depending whethr suited to one's needs or nature congenial to mom and embryo .
foods that are hot,dried, pungent, sour not recomended .
(ushna , ruksha,, pungent , amla ,)
since kollu is 'dried legumes and it is not easy digest kind ,
its better to avoid also why go for kollu when other legumes widly used having same
source of nourishment ?

( its fodder right? why its chose given to animals? to stay in tummy long )

dev
2nd December 2005, 07:25 AM
foods that are hot,dried, pungent, sour not recomended .
(ushna , ruksha,, pungent , amla ,)
since kollu is 'dried legumes and it is not easy digest kind ,
its better to avoid also why go for kollu when other legumes widly used having same
source of nourishment ?

thanks for the xplanation... but does this mean all types of dhals should be avoided?... Or is it that they should be reduced to the minimal possible?... What other food can be safely consumed?... Please eloberate...

tfmlover
2nd December 2005, 08:44 AM
according to body costitution / body type one must know what is best
Legumes produce gas 'nitrogen .
lentils both red n black , mung beans mung dhal , soy cheese , soy milk , tofu ( light and best )tur dhal are good ones .

black lentil hard but more strngth take time and cook .

corriander seeds , asafedita , ginger garlic used when cooking dhal for that purpose to ease digest
why tumeric? coz it protects our blood from lengume poisoning it.

also some soak peas for sometime and thrw water we think it helps cooking fast but the main
reason is to avoid xtra nitrogen .
fennel added too helps .
'gripe water' given to babies if you note main ingrednt 'fennel' in most brands

and pregnant , breast feeding mothers should never try anything new .

dev
2nd December 2005, 10:26 AM
tfmlover,

Thanks for explaining... Any tips for ppl suffering from sluggish liver caused due to jaundice when young?...

tfmlover
3rd December 2005, 08:55 AM
dev , jaundice ! not easy , before and after

medical history is very important and in most cases kids endup with sluggish lever due to wrong medications and not enough info given to parents .

the symtom : we all know that the liver is not operating properly , abnormal funtion
and we recognze by yellow discoloration of the skin and in most cases whites of the eyes.
causes: liver diseases / hepatitis ( from A to X ..and more depending on underlying conditions )

as soon as we recognze yellow skin, fever , dark urination we name ' jaundice..BUT..
all jaundice not same..several types , thru blood test and other methods dr's ( must find )will find which one
ex: physiologic jaundice / Neonatal Jaundice - in newborns a few days after birth , and usually no treatment requrd
a type that is transient and harmless.if baby not nursing well high fever then treatmnt depend on the underlying cause

the actual jaundice the TRUE ones , there are many typs..these are few

Hepatocellular jaundice - when the liver fails to process bilirubin
Obstruction jaundice - an obstruction in the bile ducts or digestive area
Hemolytic jaundice - from red blood cells being broken down

very much complicated coz there are other factrs that might have jauntice itself as a potential underlying cause as well as the symtom too .

say 'jaundice kid has fever ? or even after jaundice . if asprin given for fever ?( pain killer/acetaminophen ) can promote Reye's Syndrome which deteriorates liver.
so medications / and tips' cannot given without knowing 'risk factors' could be direct or somehow associated .

tfmlover
3rd December 2005, 09:47 AM
hepatitis can be rocgnzd by yellow skin fever dark urine too, it can lead to jaundice.
parents get confused by yellow

if child with hepatitis more than 6 mnths it is 'chronic , and may result in cirrhosis..
thats another liver related disease
(carry virus several yeras)

nutrition an essential form of treatmentment balanced diet with adequate calories, fats,
proteins, and carbohydrates help the damaged liver to regenerate new liver cells .

some after jaundice might experience 'steatorrhea..difficulty in absorbing A,D,E, K AND
safflower oil OR medium chain triglycerides can help if used like cooking oil .
just coz the child loss weight and you supplement his / her diet with vitamins ?
make sure vitamin A' not excess , coz over doze vitamin A' toxic to liver . always consult physician

if patients with cirrhosis ? always avoid shellfish , even dangerous wwhen not fully cooked
( beware of vibrio vulnificus wrst bacteria ) oysters ,lobsters shrimp prawn crab .

Raghu
5th December 2005, 04:22 PM
Dear all,

Dev, TFMlover and others, kind request, If I open a topic in Misc section, regarding Healthy Living , would you all participate and discuss various illnesses, their symptoms, cures etc etc?

Dev, what do u say?

dev
5th December 2005, 05:04 PM
Not a problem for me, Raghu...

Anoushka
5th December 2005, 06:09 PM
Dev, I went through the entire thread! Great job :) I don't want to ask you for a diet plan now as I am going home to India in a couple of weeks time and it is difficult to maintain a diet when at home as you know :)

But would love to see what you think of my current diet...

I am not fat and everyone, including my hubby thinks that I am the right weight! But I prefer eating healthy.

My breakfast five days a week consists of wheatabix with lowfat milk and a fruit. Lunch is generally rice with a gravy and plenty of stir fried veggies. And dinner is veggies and chappatis. In between I tend to have yoghurt (preferrably lowfat)

I do tend to break the rules once in a while and have a sweet, or fried items or some junk food. I do have pizza once in a week or once in a fortnight but again I add plenty of vegatbles as toppings, so I don't feel very guitly about it!

I don't drink coffee, tea or anything fizzy. Tend to dilute juice with water as well.

Generally add mint/corriander/manathakkali keerai to my rotis as well.

Do you think I need to change my diet plan?

As of now my exercise is 5K walk three days a week and badminton for one hour once a week.

dev
5th December 2005, 08:27 PM
Anoushka,

How frequently do you take dhal or non-veg?... Either of these should be a part of everyday diet to meet the protein requirements... If the gravy U take for lunch is dhal curry, then it should be okay... & hope U take enough milk products to meet the calcium req... Otherwise, the diet is good...

Fatty food/sweets once in a while is not a problem... If I tell U my meal last sunday... Hmmm... no... I am embarassed to tell you abt the sinful indulgence... :oops:

Anoushka
5th December 2005, 10:28 PM
Dev, I tend to have cheese (pizza topping, in salads and pasta bake) and yoghurt as well, that should be enough for my calcium I guess :) If not let me know, I'll try to increase the milk intake!

As for dal, I have dal once or twice a week, non-veg may be once in a fortnight and that too only chicken! I tend to have dal or a mix of different types of payaru vagaigal like chenna, rajma, etc.

dev
6th December 2005, 06:53 AM
Calcium req depends on age, height, weight etc... So, I don't know if U r taking the right amt of calcium...But if U r taking a min of 250-300 ml of milk/curd & u r around 5 ft 3 or 4 inches(& around 55 kgs), it should be find... this is a rough estimate...

& if possible, include an avg of 40-45 gms(rough estimate again for the same height/weight range) dhal everyday... or try to take other protein source...

dev
6th December 2005, 08:52 AM
Dev...I would love to have your kollu rasam recipe.
Kals

Here's the recipe for Horsegram Rasam...

Add more water for cooking the kollu than U normally do coz the excess water after cooking will be used for the rasam... Drain the excess water... Add more water if U feel the drained kollu water is concentrated...add a few crushed garlic , curry leaves & salt to it... Heat a tsp of oil... add some jeera & broken dry chillies to it... fry a bit & add this to the kollu water... add enough tamarind juice & let it boil for around 3-4 mins... That's it... I sometimes add the chillies & jeera without tempering ... tastes good as well...

dev
6th December 2005, 08:54 AM
tfmlover, Thanks for the explanation...

Anoushka
6th December 2005, 01:56 PM
Calcium req depends on age, height, weight etc... So, I don't know if U r taking the right amt of calcium...But if U r taking a min of 250-300 ml of milk/curd & u r around 5 ft 3 or 4 inches(& around 55 kgs), it should be find... this is a rough estimate...

& if possible, include an avg of 40-45 gms(rough estimate again for the same height/weight range) dhal everyday... or try to take other protein source...

Thanks Dev, my milk, yoghurt intake should be around 250 ml everyday, my Dal intake is slightly less, I should find other ways of taking protien as I generally like variety in food so dal or dal based items are made only twice a week :(

scorpio
6th December 2005, 02:42 PM
Dev,

Pl. tell me shortcuts to improve my Haemoglobin count. I have a single digit HB count & diagonised by my gynaec as anaemic.

I'm taking dates / date syrup. My doc. told me take badam ( as halwa or cake) regularly. Is it true that Almond is good for aneamics?

Any other suggestions? (I'm a veggie)

dev
6th December 2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Scorpio,

Nice to see u in the food sec after a loooong time...

Food stuffs rich in iron helps... Combine this with food stuffs rich in Vitamin C as it helps in better absorption of iron... As far as I know, cashewnut is a better source of iron thean almonds... every 100 gms of cashewnut contains around 6mg of iron & almond contains around 3.5 mg per 100 gms... Tofu is a good source of iron as well...

Here are some websites that might be of use to you...
http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html
http://www.weightlossforall.com/iron-rich-food.htm
http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68d.stm

Anoushka
6th December 2005, 03:27 PM
Scorpio: The best way to increase your HB count is to eat a lot of keerai! Add keerai to your dosai maavu , to the chappati aata or anything that you can imagine, eat loads of murungai keerai specifically if not possible eat loads of any keerai! And when you do so eat an orange or drink a glass of orange juice. Supposedly Vitamin C enhances the chance of iron being absorbed into the blood! And reduce coffee / tea intake as much as possible...

scorpio
6th December 2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks Dev! :-)

I do read this thread regularly but dont post.

pavalamani pragasam
6th December 2005, 03:42 PM
Scorpio, from experience & doctor's advice I want to remind you that periodical deworming is mandatory, esp. if we happen to eat food prepared outside. Without this routine procedure any amount of intake of iron & keerai will bring poor result. It is true after these rains keerai will be scarce. But what about murungai keerai? My doctor sister prefers it to "vaikkaal" keeraikaL for hygeinic reasons! Agaththi is my hubby's favourite, another tree keerai! My trick for improving the family's iron intake is adding plenty of karuveppilai/koththumalli/puthina to our morning chutney for idli/dosai. My children used to joke about white thengkai chutney finding no place in our dining table!

Anoushka
6th December 2005, 03:55 PM
Scorpio: I agree with pp on this - my dosai and chappati are never plain, they always have plenty of keerai or corriander, mint, karivEpilai etc in them... that way it goes as a part of something else in case you don't like to eat them separately :) The odd time that I have a sandwich these days - it is always with green chutney!

scorpio
6th December 2005, 03:56 PM
PP Ma'm - Thanks! I did take the one-dose syrup for 'poochi-killing' last month. Must search for murungai keerai vigorously now :-)

Anu- ennai pachai pul onnuthaanga sapida sollala neenga :lol:

Anoushka
6th December 2005, 04:02 PM
pul vendanga :) athu nalla irukaathu :lol: Apple saapdingalen, apple has good iron content as well....

pavalamani pragasam
6th December 2005, 04:22 PM
Vellam is supposed to be rich in iron. Churn some vellam & pottukadalai in the mixie; make ladoos or just eat spoonfuls of the protein+rich yummy mixture! Children too love it!

dev
6th December 2005, 06:45 PM
Yes, it's always good to deworm periodically... Greens are a good source of iron as well as Vit C...

dev
6th December 2005, 06:50 PM
My trick for improving the family's iron intake is adding plenty of karuveppilai/koththumalli/puthina to our morning chutney for idli/dosai. My children used to joke about white thengkai chutney finding no place in our dining table!

Reminds me of my mom... white coconut chutney was rare in my home too... Mom used to add curry leaves/ mint/ coriander/ thuthuvalai/ vallarai to the chutney... Infact, they taste better than plain coconut chutney... She makes an yummy mooligai rasam using thuthuvalai & musumusukai... It used to taste heavely when I have a cold/fever...:)

RedPepper
6th December 2005, 07:39 PM
How about ragi? I think it is rich in iron.

dev
6th December 2005, 08:52 PM
Yes, ragi contains around 4-5mg of iron per 100 g... It is a good source of calcium as well...

tomato
7th December 2005, 07:55 AM
dont forget vedic:'GOTU KOLA the brain food
Botanical Name: Centella asiatica
( chinese: Luei Gong Gen )
populr among sinhala too .
its sanskrit ancient

if you cant buy as keerai you can buy capsules , no harm FDA apprvd
keerai available in all tamil shops here.
its 'vallaarai

(i guess agathi named from agasthiya guru ? same gotukola refrs bck to Veda Vyasa )

loads websites if you want to know about it , NOTHING BUT GOTU KOLA ..(FOR ME )

Pls do post the websites and any recipes or ways of using it everyday cooking.

dev
7th December 2005, 08:09 AM
You can make chutney using vallarai, small onions, coconut, garlic, tamarind, chillies & salt...grind eveything raw... I am not sure of the measuments... it goes well with lemon rice & cocnut rice... I used to eat lots of vallarai & ladiesfinger during my exam months...Dunno if it helped but I believed it will help...:D

Few recipes on the net...
http://www.indiatastes.com/categories/355.html
http://www.indiatastes.com/categories/365.html
http://askagent.ammas.com/topics/Cooking/a105002.html
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=156484

tfmlover
7th December 2005, 08:32 AM
-----