PDA

View Full Version : SUN TV & Other Recipe Collections

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

R
7th June 2005, 11:20 PM
Hello kavitha,

What I meant was to cover the vanali with a bigger plate for the first 2 secs to make sure that the seedai does not explode. After that, remove the plate. Did not mean to close throughout the process!!

If you are still not satisfied, you dont have to close the vanali. Instead, clean the ellu thoroughly and sieve the flour. Becoz for a cup of flour, hardly, we take 1/2 sp of ellu; hence, it is easy for you to clean everything.

Bye.

gvb
7th June 2005, 11:59 PM
Thank u for the recipe,R..I will try it real soon..I have the poornam recipes of Mrs.Mano..If urs is different please do post it..Can u also tell me how to make urad kozhukattai?

Also,i shud stir the rice flour in the boiling water after its taken off the stove?

Regarding seedai please do take ur time..No hurry..Iam wondering if u add jeera do u remove its tails?What does cleaning the ellu means?

Last question,please bear with me..Wat is karamani in english or hindi?And ellu is sesame right?Which one i shud get ?Black or white?For making the ellu podi also..

Thanx

R
8th June 2005, 12:12 AM
No need to remove the tails of jeera. Cleaning means removing the stone or any dirt from jeera or ellu which is the reason for exploding.

Since I dont see black ellu(yes, it is sesame), use white ellu. Anything shd be fine, guess.

Urad kozhukattai is to grind red chillies, green chillies(each 1), urad 3 tbsp, salt coarsely. Squeeze lemon juice on the paste and do seasoning with oil, if you want.

Chowly/lobia is the hindi name & black eyed beans is the english name for kaaramani.

For kozhukattai, yes, you have to stir the flour after switching off the stove; then only, you will get the kneaded ball dough.

To differentiate between the pooranams, you can make round shape with dal poornam, boat shape for ellu & urad pooranam and finally, our usual (nose shaped) coconut pooranam.

kavithasenthil
8th June 2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks R for clarifying my doubts. Will try seedai soon and let you know. I have seedai recipe from arusuvai.com

Tried ellu podi from the above site and it tasted good.

gvb
8th June 2005, 05:09 AM
Thanx for replying R.Yes i remember boat shaped kozhukkatai and nose kozhukattai..That was a good idea to differentate..U haven't told me whether ur poornam ingredients are the same as Mrs.Mano..
When i asked for chowly in the grocery shop today they seemed confused..Next time i will try with "Black eyed beans"..I also got Sphagetti today to make ur Pasta dishes..

Abt Urad kozhukattai wat to do with the paste?The quantity seems so small..Its called uppu kozhukattai right?and i remember it will be big and rough fa kaila pidicha mari irukum(Upma color).Is that the one u are talking about?Please clarify me..

Thanx.

R
8th June 2005, 12:45 PM
Yes, gvb..saw Mrs.Mano's recipes and the poornam recipes are same. In fact, tried only one time her dough method and it came out nicely too.

Definitely, if you ask the grocery shop for black eyed beans, they might not be aware becoz they know hindi very well than English and it is quite a common word. Even, in the cover it says the same or ask for LOBIA. You can look where you find channa, peas etc.

My paati use to make kaara kozhukattai on vinayaka chathurthi. But, by the time we are done with these varieties, would be so exhausted. One more kozhukattai called pidi kozhukattai; but, the procedure is little lengthy since have to take rice rava from the rice etc.

Abt. urad kozhukattai, sorry..did not write clearly since I was in a hurry to take my son to the class. Here it is-

Urad poornam(salt kozhukattai):

Take half a cup of urad dal and soak for an hr. in water. Drain the water and grind with 1 no. of green and red chillies, salt and hing coarsely. Steam them on the idly plates for 5 mts. Once cold, separate them; season in oil with mustard, grated coconut and curry leaves. Mix well and squeeze lemon juice.

Now, take 1 spoon or so to stuff in the kozhukattai dough which is more than enough. though the qty looks like very less, we cant take like other sweets. So, the said qty is enough becoz I see my family concentrates more on all three kozhukattais than the urad one!!

Yes, the color will be same and udhir udhira irukkum. YOu cant hold it in yr hand, just have to take in the spoon only.

R
8th June 2005, 12:49 PM
will post uppu seedai today for sure..gvb..

R
8th June 2005, 01:44 PM
Here is the list for everyone's easy reference.

PAGE 1

Naanu paati thalagam
tirunelveli sambar
paruppu puli kuzhambu
paruppu urundai kuzhambu
curry leaves puli kuzhambu
mango puli kuzhambu
PAGE 2
Masala kuzhambu
Black channa vada
aloo tikki
Instant dhokla
Tava fried idly
Mixed vegetable pakoda
Mint paneer tikka
paneer kofta
PAGE 3

gughni
baby corn in coconut milk
paneer butter masala
karnataka okra curry
PAGE 4

mango payasam
pumpkin halwa
kaaramani sweet pongal
apple badham halwa
red pumpkin chutney
sesame sambal
ginger sambal
coriander chutney
ellu milagai podi
poondu milagai podi
chutney podi
PAGE 5

curd upma
PAGE 7

cabbage thuvayal
gatta rice
sweet & sour cabbage
bread dosa
kadai panner
1-2-3 uttappam
bottlegourd mint raitha
red tomato apple chutney
kaara vada paniyaram
andhra potato curry
PAGE 9

Milagai bajji
PAGE 11

sprouted moong parata
baingan kurma
mullangi kootu
PAGE 12

mysore pak
angaya podi
PAGE 13

neem flower rasam
bread masala
soya macaroni delight
PAGE 14

kalasamelara kuzhambu(kootu)
kamalbogh
PAGE 15

curry powder
orulaikizhangu powder
potato rice
masala mochai
stuffed baked potato
mochai sundal
mochai rasam
vaal ki usal
PAGE 16

mango burfi
sweet mango rice
vitamin chutney
pappaya olan
kadai pappaya
PAGE 17

Dough for kozhukattai
PAGE 18

Salt kozhukattai(urad poornam)

gvb
8th June 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi R ,
Thanx for giving such a detailed reply..I remember seeing "Lobia" i think..will check it out next time..I think Pidi kozhukattai was the one i talked about..Got it confused with uppu...Kara kozhukattai is that small balls made with rice flour and chilli powder right?I love them..
Do i have to grind the uraddhal with little water or no water?Am sorry for asking the most basic of questions its just that i want to get it right..

That was a great job giving all the recipes posted so far with page numbers..U have been very helpful and i thank you for that..

Looking forward to ur seedai recipe..I will try it b4 this weekend..Please do take ur time..

GVB

gvb
8th June 2005, 11:57 PM
Hi R
Made "mullangi Kootu" and it came out v.good...Full of flavor..Got a big thumbs-up from my Husband..Thanx

GVB

kavithasenthil
9th June 2005, 01:27 AM
Hi R,

Tried andra potato curry. Tasted good. Thks

R
9th June 2005, 03:55 AM
Hello gvb,

Thanks for yr msgs..Today only, noticed that the small maroon color kaaramani is moth whole in hindi; so, if you want this size, can check this name and lobia will be white color kaaramani with a black line, guess.

Just like urad vada, use minimum amt of water. HOpe I am clear.

Bye.

gvb
9th June 2005, 04:31 AM
Thanx R..Again there are Varieties in it!!!!Wats the one we use for Nombu adai?I skipped it this year cos i wasn't sure wat it looked like..

R
9th June 2005, 07:14 AM
the maroon smaller one(moth) since it gives a spl flavor.

R
9th June 2005, 07:15 AM
You are most welcome, Kavitha.

R
9th June 2005, 07:24 AM
Uppu seedai:

Rice flour 1 cup
urad flour 1/8 cup
butter, coconut grated 2 tsp each
jeera or sesame seed 1/2 tsp.
salt 3/4 tsp.
hing 1/4 tsp
red chilli powder or pepper powder 1/4 tsp. optl.

Dry fry the flours till you get the consistency like you can put a line without break. Mix well, sieve and keep aside.

Dilute salt with water and strain in order to avoid dirt, if any. Similarly clean the seeds too, if any.

Now, mix all flours with the remaining ingredients adding hot water to make a dough. Make sure that they are all mixed evenly and there is no crack or gap.

Now, start making small balls and put them on the tissue paper; heat oil and when it is ready, deep fry batch by batch depending on the size and oil qty, pour the seedais. Once it is golden brown color, take them out.

Also, watch out if the noise of the oil has stopped and that is one sign; second thing is while you stir, can hear the noise of cooked seedai.

while rolling the seedais, doesn't have to be in regular and heard that one is not supposed to use both the hands. Just one hand and irregular shape is fine. Though dont know the exact reason, I am just following the same.

Once the oil is hot, put the seedais, and keep the flame in medium if you are using iron vanali. While taking the seedais out, keep the flame sim so that the color will not change. Then, again change the fire and according to the heat, start pouring seedais and proceed..

Good luck!!

gvb
9th June 2005, 06:51 PM
Wow R..Thank u so much..I'll try it today itself and let u know how it came out..I hope it goes well.

kavithasenthil
9th June 2005, 06:58 PM
"while rolling the seedais, doesn't have to be in regular and heard that one is not supposed to use both the hands. Just one hand and irregular shape is fine. Though dont know the exact reason, I am just following the same. "

Hello R,

The reason is explained in arusuvai.com . It is to avoid exploding. If we use two hands and make round,tight ball it will explode. I got this info from arusuvai. I like to try ur seedai recipe. May be next week as we won't be in town this weekend. Tks for the recipe.

R
9th June 2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Kavitha for the info..But, heard from people in order to get a crispy seedais, we have to do the irregular balls!

Still, I wonder becoz if you buy seedais from Adayar Ananda Bhavan sweets, Chennai(they are very famous), the shapes will be so uniform ROUND!! I even felt that it could be machine make one? Not sure..

Bye.

kavithasenthil
9th June 2005, 07:09 PM
Yes R, the store bought seedais r uniform shaped.

R
10th June 2005, 12:56 AM
Vella seedai:

Rice flour 1 cup
urad flour 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp
coconut cut 2 tsp
jaggery 3/4 cup
sesame seed 1/4 tsp
water for syrup 1 karandi

Dry fry the flours till it is red color without stopping. Once done, sieve them well.

Make syrup with jaggery & water until you get ILAMPAGU. When you get that consistency, take the vessel away from the stove and put the flours, coconut, sesame and mix well. If water is not sufficient, can sprinkle hot water on the flour to make dough. The final dough should come like a ball just like uppu seedai.

Start making balls and heat the oil in a vanali. Once it is hot, just follow the same instructions as given in the vella seedai. Pour seedais and keep in medium.

When the oil sound completely stops, take them away. If you feel it is getting darker, change the stove to med to high low.

This seedai will be crispy outside and soft inside.

-----------------------------

R
10th June 2005, 01:00 AM
Hello Kavitha,

I was talking to my cousin who is in US itself and she is very good in making our traditional sweets and advised that making regular balls will not cause any explosion.

Many of her recipes I have tried and came out well too. So, soon, I am going to give a try. Atleast, I want to make myself clear.

Becoz, if you dont make regular balls, particularly for vella seedai, the cracks may form all over the seedai though the taste is good. Anyways, will let you know the result whenever I try.

Bye.

kavithasenthil
10th June 2005, 01:09 AM
Hello R,

After thinking abt store bought seedais i also planed to try atleast 5 to 10 uniform balls. I am happy u talked to ur cousin. I tempted to try rightawy but don't have urad flour. Definatly will try next week and let you know. I am going to use 'cover the vessel' tip to avoid any explotion.Since this is going to be my first time..little scared.

But is she advised to make uniform balls for kara seedai too?

gvb
10th June 2005, 04:59 AM
Hi R
Made Uppu seedai just now and it has come out very very good..No"incidents" in the kitchen,thankfully..I roasted the flour for close to 20 mins (Started to check for lines right after 5 mins). :) Thats y i timed it.Forgot to strain the salt but did clean the jeeragam cos it had impurities in it.The taste was exactly like i remembered and it came out cripsy.

The flour i made had cracks in it so for the first batch it was a "BIT" hard to bite on the outside but once u break it down it tasted good.

So added little water to the dough for the second batch and that was marginally better.

I added water to the third batch too but haven't checked the taste of it since the quantity is less..Taste paakaren nu finish ayidum polarku. So Saving for my husband.

If u feel there might be any other reason for the outer hardness please let me know..There is always room for improvisation.

Considering this is my first effort am extremely happy and satisfied with the way it has turned out.So many thanks to u for posting the recipe.I love it..

I was about to ask u for vella seedai but stopped myself cos i din't want to tire u out..Double my thanx for that too..

GVB

gvb
10th June 2005, 05:02 AM
R wat do u mean by regular balls?We can use both our hands to make the seedai?(Both uppu and vellam)

Wat is "ilam pagu"?I have never tried with jaggery..How will the Padham be?

Thanx.

R
10th June 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi gvb,

First of all congrats on yr success in the first attempt. My opinion is seedai is not like other savories; a little challenging one. When I did the first time, the same problem had happened. By experience only, you will be an expert, no.

The surprising thing you know is initially I thought that there was a mistake with my measurement and that was why I was not getting good seedais!! But, when I asked my paati or mother or any of our previous generations, they all repeated the same ratios and if you look at any books which has published a couple of generations back, they would tell the same.

Then, realized it all depends on how you are kneading and adding the water to the dough. Neither it should be wet nor too dry. That is also one of the reason for the harder seedais.

If it is both crispy and hard, also you should check on the fire. Abt fire I have mentioned clearly. Is that what you have followed?

When I did first time, I kept in sim and came out hard. The second time, kept in medium and came out better than the first ones!! While putting the next batch, always, check whether the oil is hot or not since we keep them in sim. Just like how the sweet making guys use to pump the stove on and off(to increase the heat), same way.

If the dough is dry, yes that is also one reason to make it hard. For 20 mts, you fried and am little surprised. The consistency should be like "KOLAM PODARA PADHAM". If you put kolam in the rice flour, it will come with a break; but after frying, it will come without any gap like our regular kola podi. That is what I told you.

How many cups of flour did you take? The cracks is becoz of the balls you made(azhuthi uruttanam). Before posted a msg to Kavitha, checked with a couple of my cousins and they both said, they always use both palms to roll so that you will not get any crack and it will not explode. I have not tried this. As I told Kavitha, have to try one day.

guess I answered to all yr queries.

R
10th June 2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, kavitha..can use both yr hands(palms) to roll for both seedais!! Checked with other cousin too..told the same thing.

R
10th June 2005, 02:42 PM
Hi friends,

Yesterday, tried this simple pasta recipe and got a compliment from one of my favorite person(??) which is my SON; obviously, thanks to cheese!!

Eggplant pasta:

Onion 1 small
tomato 1 or tomato puree
eggplant big size quarter is enough
palak 1/4 cup
Pasta 1 cup

Heat oil, add lengthy pieces of onion, grated 2 flakes of garlic with eggplant saute them well. Add salt with haldi and when done, add tomato stir well. Add chilli powder or a combination of pepper/jeera powder, mix well. Check for salt.

Cook pasta with salt and keep aside. Take a microwaveable vessel, spread pasta as a first layer, vegetables as a second layer, grated cheese as a third layer repeat the same one more time. Microwave it for 2 mts. Yummy pasta is ready. Stir and serve.

Bye.

gvb
10th June 2005, 06:08 PM
Hi R,
I kept the stove at "low" for roasting..Still do u think its too long?..I did nothing but put lines to see if its coming in a line :( ..For frying the seedais kept at Medium..I dropped tiny bit of Maavu and started frying as soon as it came up..

I took 1 cup of rice flour and 2 TBSP of urad .BTW i assumed by spoon u meant TSP..Correct me if am wrong..I(u had said spoon for hing,jeera..)In the vellai seedai u have mentioned 1/8 cup or 2 Spoons..So that got me wondering.

As u said may be its the way i kneaded..I din't put that much pressure cos i thot that wud make it hard!!!I wud say i got it 80% right which is huge for me.Thanks again for posting this recipe..This is wat i'll follow from now on..

GVB

I had asked u about "Ilam paagu"??

R
10th June 2005, 07:06 PM
Sorry, gvb..did not notice the mistake. now, I have corrected them.

Abt paagu, it is like the beginning of 1 thread consistency. Should not be a single thread, but before that, if you pour a drop of paagu in the water, it will dissolve at first; after that slowly, it will slowly change which is the sign that 1/2 thread is going to start. That is the correct padham(oru madhiri izuhkum, but single thread will not form).

Abt roasting the flour, as soon as you reaches the kolam padara padham, can switch off the stove; dont have to wait till the end.

Abt kneading, dont have to put more pressure. It is just rice flour,no. Just mix all the flour evenly and make sure that it is not dry. that is all, it needs.

Bye.

gvb
10th June 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanx R.How long does it take for u to get the "Kola padham"..Do u roast in Low or medium?

GVB

R
Made the "lemon rice" u had posted in Andhra thread and it was a good change from our normal way of making.Thanx.

Urmila
11th June 2005, 12:23 AM
Hi R,

Thanks for posting the 'seedai' recipe but am very hesitant to try, I never knew it will burst like what you guys have written ! Sounds rather dangerous. Will there be much diffference in taste, if made at home ? Actually I'm planning to only buy (for now at least) from some place here called 'Chennai Bazaar'. Maybe later, I can get together with some friends when trying for first time.
Cheers, Bye.

Urmila
11th June 2005, 12:39 AM
Forgot to ask one more doubt, R. About that rasam (powder from Hemantji's friend), did you make dal or tomatoes rasam ? And when to add that powder, while boiling imli or afterwards at end, after doing tadka ? Have made rasams only very rarely, but unsuccessfully..boo hoo ... Could you possibly give a brief of method to make rasam with that powder ?
Sorry for trouble, bye.

kavithasenthil
11th June 2005, 02:01 AM
thks R.

Hi Urmi,

"Maybe later, I can get together with some friends when trying for first time. "

The above line really makes me laugh. Though no offend. Me also scared.

R
11th June 2005, 02:23 AM
gvb, It is always better to fry flours in medium. When I was using a small tumbler, think that fried for around 5 mts or so. Surely, less than 10 mts.

After you have started frying, take a fist of flour, and draw the line in a plate or that vanali itself. Minute by minute, you will notice the difference from the beginning and in this way, you will find out when it comes to the right consistency. Even, if you delayed, dont think that it will make any difference.

thanks for the appreciation about lemon rice.

Bye.

gvb
11th June 2005, 02:34 AM
Thanks R..Will keep that in mind..
BTW in which heading is Rava Kuska that u had mentioned?

GVB

R
11th June 2005, 02:34 AM
Hi Urmila,

I understood totally. If we are making the snacks on normal days, then we do have choice of making or not making. But, it is our custom that we should make these items for Krishna Jayanthi everyyear. So, we dont have any choice!!

As far as I know, everyone must have faced this bursting experience, and slowly, they became a master one day!!

Anyways, about buying seedais, if the shop is really an authentic south indian shop, then you can go for it. Have not tried buying here.

Abt the taste, in Chennai, there are many shops where they make a wonderful crunchy seedai. Still, back at home, my mother or my grand mother makes better seedais than me becoz of the EXPERIENCE which motivates me very much inspite of the hazards!!

Bye.

R
11th June 2005, 02:36 AM
Hi gvb,

I dont remember the exact name that I have sent becoz mine is Read only before sent to all of you. Anyways, have PMed the recipe to you.

Bye.

R
11th June 2005, 02:50 AM
Hello Urmila,

Abt rasam, I prepared neem flower rasam that day. And, you can do the tadka first or last whichever you want. There is no such rule; that is how I feel. As long as you add all these ingredients, the taste will come automatically!!

In a pan, add water, salt and haldi. When it starts boiling, add cut tomato and tamarind. Heard from my mother that one should prepare rasam only in the medium flame to get a real RASAM taste. The boiling bubbles should stay on the top till the end.

After 3 to 4 mts, you can add the rasam powder too and allow to boil till you get a good smell. finally, garnish with coriander and curry leaves.

Or while seasoning in ghee with mustard, jeera and hing, add curry leaves too. Add it to the rasam and close the vessel so that the smell will stay in the vessel itself.

p.s: Some people grind tomato and put in the rasam so that you will get the red color and the taste will be so good. Adding more tomato will also give a good color.

Elderly people use to say in order to increase the rasam taste, one should mash roughly the tomato with yr hand and put it in the boiling rasam. Try everything and choose whichever you want.

Good luck!!

R
11th June 2005, 12:44 PM
This week's SUN TV recipes are coming here..

Rice puri:

Rice flour 1 cup
onion grated 1
methi seed 1 tsp
saunf/jeera 2 tsp
oil and salt

Boil 1 1/2 cups of water with salt and oil, add seed and saunf. Boil for a couple of mts and filter the water. Mix flour, grated onion and the boiled water into dough. Good for health and puri's smell will be so good.

Make small puris and fry in oil.

My points:

I was not impressed with the rice puri becoz this seems more or less like our thattai(softer version); but, the idea of seed and saunf is really a good one becoz both of the ingredients have their excellent qualities.

So, substituted wheat flour in the place of rice flour and repeated rest of the steps!!

--------------------------------

R
11th June 2005, 12:51 PM
The below said recipe is similar to Sanjeev kapoor's Afghani baingan where you have to cut the baingan into lengthy pieces. Pour and heat oil lavishly to fry eggplant crispily or you can add few amt of oil and keep the flame high and fry carefullywithout sticking to the bottom. Before that, you have to mix all garam masala, chilli powder, dhania, jeera powders, salt and haldi with baingan; marinate for 30 mts. Then, fry them in oil.

Drain them in a tissue paper. Before serving, pour curd on them, mix well. Yum yum baingan goes with roti and pulav!! Now, comes to the recipe..You can add onion, tomato to the above..

Dahi baingan:

Baingan big 1 or small 4
onion 2
besan flour 2 sp
curd 1 cup
jeera powder 1/2 sp.
garam masala 1 sp.
dhania powder 2 sp.
chilli powder 1sp.
ginger garlic paste 2 sp.
hing 1/4 sp.
red chillies 2
jeera 1 sp.
green chillies 4
coriander leaves and haldi
salt.

Chop brinjals whichever size you want to. Add haldi, salt, all powders, ginger garlic paste, a tsp of oil and mix well. Marinate for an hr.

Mix besan with curd well. Heat oil, add onion, green chillies, curry leaves and marinated brinjal, cook. Add besan mixture cook for some more time. When it comes like a cream, keep aside.

finally, season in oil with jeera, red chillies, hing and garnish with coriander leaves.

------------------------

R
11th June 2005, 02:48 PM
Peanut kuzhambu:

This goes well with idly, dosa, aapam and pongal.

Vegetables are okra, beans, corn, lauki, ridge gourd.

Baby corn 200 g
peanut 1/4 cup
fresh cream 1/4 cup
tomato puree 1 cup
milk 1/4 cup
curry leaves
garam masala 1/4 sp.
ginger garlic paste, jeera 1 sp each
amchur powder, mustard and chilli powder 1/2 sp each
onion 2
dhania powder 2 sp.
salt, oil

Season in oil with mustard, jeera, curry leaves. Once spluttering is done, add onion and saute well. Put all powders with salt and mix well. Let it cook for a couple of mts and add cooked corn with tomato puree, ginger garlic paste, stir well.

Meanwhile, grind peanut with milk and add to the above. Add enough water to the above mixture. Once it is thick, add fresh cream and switch off.

Can omit fresh cream and amchur powder; instead, can put tamarind too. If fresh tomato is not available, can use canned tomato puree. Similarly, frozen corn will also suits this gravy.

R
11th June 2005, 02:57 PM
Banana milk shake:

Banana 2
Skinless Mango small pieces little
Vanilla ice cream 3 scoops
Milk 200 ml
mixed fruit jam 2 tsp
sugar 2 tsp
cardamom 1 tsp
coconut grated 1 tbsp

Grind banana, sugar, cold milk, ice cream, coconut thickly(not nice). Otherwise, it will not be like a milk shake.

Take a plain glass, spread jam around the top sides(inside)alone which will give you extra sweet taste and also looks colorful. Pour mango pieces inside the glass and add milk shake full of the glass.

Garnish with grated coconut & cardamom powder.

For the forthcoming hot summer, taste this nice and healthy assorted milk shake.

Few points to note:

When I made this milk shake, did not have vanilla ice cream. So, I substituted with mango ice cream and instead of mango fruit, added cut dates and badham.

The purpose of adding mango and jam is that incase if the milk shake is not sweet, these two ingredients will compensate. So, we did not find any difference. It was great.

If you dont find mixed fruit jam, any jam like raspberry or strawberry will do.

R
11th June 2005, 04:38 PM
Hi gvb,

One important point forgot to say abt seedai-if you are using flour from the rice then, the qty of butter will increase like 3 tbsp since it will take whereas in flour, it is uncertain.

Since you had mentioned that the outer layer is not crispy, maybe you can try adding 1 tbsp of butter. Becoz, if it is a good quality of flour, it may take more butter. Flour's quality will definitely differ. Without even frying the flour, some people make seedais!! But, have not tried it.

The above said qty is for a cup of rice, 3 tbsp of butter can be added. Start with 1 tbsp of butter and mix with the flour, try a couple of rounds. You will eventually know whether to add more or not.

Bye.

gvb
12th June 2005, 01:23 AM
Thank u very much for that tip,R ..I was thinking that myself..I'll definitely add more butter next time.

GVB

kavithasenthil
12th June 2005, 05:25 AM
Hello R,

Happy happy news..I tried uppu seedai just now. No Accident! What a great news!

I used 1 cup of flour,sesame seeds,dried coconut flakes. I used 'cover the vessel' tip for the first two batches then i became brave and didn't used. Though i left the kitchen while they were cooking. My initial batches were little hard on the out side. those r the times i coverd the vessel and waited for 1/2 to 1 min before i put the next batch. I got crunchy seedais when i put the balls imedialty without wating for the oil to get hot. Since i used 6 to 7 balls at a time i didn't use low the fire and high the fire tip.

then the seedais cover has pori pori spots like we have in thattai. Is that is the way it is? and i fried the rice flour and urad flour separatly. I got kolam podara padham with rice flour but not with urad flour. Since i smelled fried smell of urad,i took it away from fire even i did't get that padham. Whats ur input here? One more thing i used ghee instead of butter.

Thanks R for ur recipe and step by step instruction to get good seedais and avoid explotion. Will try sweet seedai soon and let u know. Thanks once again.

R
12th June 2005, 03:35 PM
Kavitha, Wow!! cant believe becoz you were so scared. Looks like it has been a seedai VAARAM!! In one way, I am little envy on you and gvb becoz my first experience was a MINOR VAANA VEDIKAI; just kidding..

And, "cover the tip" is only for the first COUPLE of secs ONLY becoz in that couple of secs, most of the seedais will explode!! Not for the whole process. You have to change the seedai's side frequently, otherwise, one side will be cooked fully and the result will be HARD. That is the main reason, people never use any lid while making seedai or any savory. Just for our safety, we do this.

Abt heat, as mentioned, eventually, you will know whether to put it immediately or not OR raise the fire high or low while frying itself. The reason I told you to keep in sim after frying is not to change the color of seedai(will be red) and if the vanali is big, you can put 20 to 25 seedais and it will take a little longer time to take all of them out. BY the time, you are done with the other seedais, rest of the seedais in oil will change color and the taste will also be KADUKKU.

Gas's heat will differ and also depends on oil's heat and the vessel's heat. It all depends on our experiences. The important point is the oil should be hot while pouring seedais whether you use any tip or not. If the oil is extremely hot or not hot enough, definitely, you will not get a good seedais.

When I was making the seedai, mine is a gas stove(med., size burner), and though I keep in the medium and while taking out the seedais, use to put in sim. So, have to wait for a mt for the iron vanali to get hot!! If it is a non-stick frying pan, then, dont have to.

And, abt adding ghee, hope it should not be a problem as long as it is melted ghee.

>>Since i smelled fried smell of urad,i took it away from fire even i >>did't get that padham.

You can fry until you get the golden color comes; that is the right consistency for urad flour.

Pori pori-have to think..dont have any experience. Was it a used oil??

--------------------

I have a few queries for you-What is the qty of butter did you use?
Did you make a round balls(both hands) or irregular ones?

Bye.

kavithasenthil
12th June 2005, 08:07 PM
Hello R,
Thks for ur immediate reply. I forgot to mention these...
I used both hands and made uniform,regular balls. While making the dough and rolling the balls...it remainds me of how we do with gulab jamun with mix. I was doing softly and gently like gulab jamuns.

Then i used ghee as i didn't have butter at home. Used the required amount, the recipe calls for. But it was unmelted ghee.

My stove is a electric sotve. My oil was new,not used one. May be it is becaz of ghee i got pori pori thing. I used small vessel and little oil so there was no need to wait for the oil to get hot. I put the fire little above med.

Hope i mentioned every thing. We(me,gvb) didn't have any accident ..absolutly becaz of ur small small tips and tricks. thanks.

gvb
13th June 2005, 01:38 AM
I think we have dealt extensively on how to make seedai. :) It shud be relatively easy for all those following me and Kavitha..Thanks to u ,R.

R
13th June 2005, 02:18 AM
gvb & Kavitha: to the extension of seedai, there is a NEWS.

Soon, will be posting rava seedai tested recipe for you both!!

So, seedai vaaram is not over yet..bye..

Sowmya
13th June 2005, 02:26 AM
Hi R
BTW is it "Seedai vaaram" or "seedai varam?(i mean boon!) :roll:

Regards
Sowmya

gvb
13th June 2005, 09:10 AM
Looks like we are not going to rest until we have a minor VAANA VADIKAI in our kitchen too.. Just Kidding..Sounds Yummy,R ..Am always game to try anything..

GVB

Urmila
13th June 2005, 10:02 AM
Way to go, Kavitha ! I was smiling to read that you got good results on your first attempt itself. I'm still not having that much of confidence to try, as bursting seems to be 'expected' while making this item.

Thanks for the reply R, didn't know you guys HAD to make it as prasad for Janmashtami. We usually make only mithais based on milk/khoa, kheer etc. Namkeens we make only as snacks, not must for festivals.

R
13th June 2005, 03:25 PM
No problem, gvb..the more you do, guess, the better will get used to all kind of things!!

And, urmila, you know something-my MIL use to make the same kaara seedai(dont remember) without even adding the water and she will make balls through the water released from the coconut and the ground rice!! ooh, it is so so difficult, but the result will be simply superb.

When compared to that seedais, these are all nothing!! Only once, tried making balls with them, but, my hands were gone.

Since it is a birthday of Lord Krishna, we have to keep snacks like seedais, thattai, dairy products, poha payasam etc. you have to draw two legs with rice flour batter from the entrance upto the pooja room believing that Lord Krishna visits that night(crawling or jumping) and takes some prashad(so, we keep everything infront of the Pooja shelf itself!!)

kavithasenthil
14th June 2005, 08:58 PM
Thats alright urmila. But one day you will be curious to make this. Becaz this seedai explanation and discussion surely make ppl to try someday. As u said take ur friends with you and try.

R,

the funny part is i didn't know that seedais will burst only in the initial stage. I thought it will do at any time of cooking so i ran away from the kitchen but stand infront of the stove in the initial stage. Thks for ur info i will be careful in the initial mins here after.

gvb
14th June 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi R
yesterday evening made "Simple Pasta" and it was "Simply" Superb!!I din't think it wud turn out as tasty as it did..We had it with Hot and sweet Tomato sauce.Thanks,R.

GVB

kavithasenthil
15th June 2005, 01:12 AM
Hello R and sowmiya,

Tried the payasam but sorry..it didn't truned good. At the time i went to switch off the stove, the milk came out through the vent. Before i realize whats happening 3/4 of milk came out. When i open the cooker i had little left over milk with cooked rice. It looked like a pudding so i just added couple of spoons of sugar mixed it and ate it. Just finished big messy cleanup. Niether i tasted nor looked this payasam, so don't know the consistancy..otherwise i would have cooked again this left over payasam.

So from my experience and others..i know very well..we need to cook in big cooker or we should reduce the quantity. I will surely make this again as i don't want to be a failured guy.

R
15th June 2005, 01:17 AM
Too bad to note it, kavitha.

Yes, you can do it becoz you have succeeded in making seedai, so after all payasam, no big deal.

I have been making this payasam for the last 5 yrs!! Mine is 7 1/2 litres to 8 litres; my cousin used the smallest 5 litres or lesser than that-she followed this method and succeeded.

Anyways, it is not about cooker or vessel. I always cook in a vessel which has 3/4th of milk!! As I told, spilling will be maximum 2 to 4 tsp.

If you explain what did you do, then,will try to help you out.

Bye.

Sowmya
15th June 2005, 02:21 AM
Hi kavitha
Here are some tips from my MIL regds paal payasam..

1.Use a tall vessel and make sure that it is just 1/2 filled with milk

2.You can place a dabara/tumbler in the vessel itself and milk will not overflow..

All the best..

regrds
Sowmya :D

R
15th June 2005, 02:35 AM
gvb, thanks for the appreciation..And, will send you a reply shortly.

Bye.

kavithasenthil
15th June 2005, 02:50 AM
Hello R and Sowmiya,

Thanks for your reply. I used 5 ltr. cooker. The vessel's capacity i used inside the cooker is 5 to 6 cups. I used 4 cups of milk. After 2 whistle(I kept in high) i reduced to low-med setting. And it happend at 22nd min.

Should i reduce the amount of milk?(Hope so) Then should i keep the stove in low instead of low to med?

R
15th June 2005, 03:39 AM
Kavitha, now I understood; mine is a bigger one, so the pressure is low and since yr cooker is small and so, the pressure will be high. So, it is overflowing though you keep 4 cups of milk whereas it does not happen to me.

Better, keep them in sim becoz the pressure already has been there and if you keep in the medium to low, will give the cooker more pressure. I have clearly mentioned to keep in sim fire for the last 20 mts, didn't you note?

Anyways, this is an information to everyone that I saw in SUN TV making paal payasam through caramelizing method which is easier than this method. Tried and also got a nice rich color like how we taste in marriage/functions.

So, pls do wait till tonight so that can post both normal and caramel methods and whichever is easy, can follow that method.

Thanks for understanding.

kavithasenthil
15th June 2005, 03:45 AM
R, Thks for the reply. I did notice that we need to put it in sim. But i thought low-med is sim. What a bad understanding! :(

I wanted to try again this evening but after reading ur post planed to wait for ur new method. Thks!

After tasting the pal payasam, i like to share one of my amd my circle's fvorite payasam recipe with all of you.

R
15th June 2005, 04:34 AM
Why wait?? Pls proceed..

Bye.

R
15th June 2005, 08:02 PM
This is the recipe from SUN TV.

Caramel payasam:

Well washed basmathi rice 1 cup
sugar 1 cup
milk 3 cups
cardamom powder 1 tsp

Heat vanali, add 2 tsp of sugar(dont stir) to change into caramel completely(brown color). Once it changes, add 2 tsp of water(careful, it may splutter) and make sure it dissolves completely. Add the rice with milk; pressure cook or directly cook.

Once it is cooked well, add the cardamom powder and switch off the fire. After switching off, put the sugar and mix well till it dissolves completely.

------------------------------------

Here is a few points to note:

1. Adding sugar at the earlier stage(before switching off) may curdle the milk which is the first time I am hearing.

2. Since it is a caramel method(new method), did not want to take risk; so, added sugar after switching off. But, it is not a problem since the milk is very hot.

3. And, always prepare paal payasam with 1 or 2 % milk and will not find any difference tastewise.

4. The rice qty is quite high and so, the result will come out like a sweet milk rice; so, pls reduce the rice qty and also, it is better to fry it as I told you earlier.

5. Since we are using basmathi rice, it is better to grind nicely, particularly, those who does not want to feel the rice in mouth.

6. Instead of washing, can fry the rice in ghee, powder it with cardamom and cook as usual.

7. In this method, as soon as you pour the caramel water to the milk vessel(before cooking), u will see the pink color immediately which will be the final color. If it is not caramelized properly, then, the milk will not change into pink as soon as you add the caramel water.

8. Since we are already caramelizing, dont have to keep for a long time; just, 2 whistles and 10 to 15 mts sim time is enough. But, the sugar shd be well brown.

9. My opinion is I love both of these versions; still, in my house, my husband felt that in this caramel method, he could not feel that it is paal paysam though the color is attractive and taste is great. So, he prefers the first method. anyways, upto individuals.

---------------------------------

Now, comes to my method of paal payasam:

Milk(1 % or 2 %) 2 1/2 to 3 cups
rice 3 to 4 tbsp (basmathi or regular)
sugar 1 1/2 cup (if needed, can add at the end too before switching off)
cardamom powder 1 tsp
ghee 1 + 1 tsp separately
dry fruits like raisins, any nuts you want.

Heat ghee, add rice and fry till the color changes into red or brown. Now, grind it nicely with cardamom powder.

Take the cooker, add enough water, in a vessel, pour milk and rice mixture; keep it inside the cooker and wait for 2 or 3 whistles. Sim for 20 to 25 mts.

Once cooled down, add sugar, keep stirring. When it dissolves completely, add the fried nuts and raisins.

---------------------

Points to remember:

If you cook with basmathi rice, the grains will stay still if you dont grind properly whereas, with raw rice, you will not feel anything. Otherwise, smell wise, dont feel any difference. Both are seems to be equal.

Have not tried cooking the paal payasam directly in the cooker since chances of sticking at the bottom or overflowing are high. One or the other time, it might happen. Anyways, it is people's convenience.

those who have small size cooker, becoz of the pressure, try to use wide mouth vessel with lesser amt of milk. Otherwise, it will keep on overflowing or else, you can follow the caramel method too.

Finally, once you do it, then, will adjust the qty of milk or rice according to kheer or payasam(thin or thick consistency).

Hope I am clear here..Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!!

Good luck..

kavithasenthil
16th June 2005, 01:21 AM
Why wait?? Pls proceed..

Bye.

Hello R,

I don't understand what u r mentioning. U mean try the payasam or post my fav.recipe? What ever the case i have ans for both.

I tried the payasam last night and it turned great! I did't have time to post the feed back. I used just 2 cups of milk and also put small tumbler in the milk vessel as per somya's idea then put the fire in low and cooked for 35 to 40 mins. The consistancy was like payasam and we can drink it without using spoon as we do with pudding. Great tasting recipe. My daughter called it 'payasun' (she is just 2 1/2 yr)and loved very much. thks for the tips.

Then our fav.payasam is aval payasam. It is equally or an ounce more tasting payasam. The consistancy is like pudding and we use spoon to have this. Ppl so for tasted this aval payasam loved it. Here it is..

Aval Payasam

Milk 1 lt
Aval 1/4 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 ts.
safforn pinch
Cashew 10
pista,almond-sliced thinly 12 to 3 ts
ghee to fry cashew

Boil the milk.When it boils add wahed aval and keep the falme in medium and keep stiring now and then. Once aval is cooked well add sugar and keep cooking till it reduced to 3/4. Add cardamom,saffron,ghee fried cashew,sliced almond,pita. Once cooled put it in the fridge.

This is very tasty pudding. Definatly give it a try. I don't know the short cut method like palpayasam.

R
16th June 2005, 02:14 AM
What I meant was about yr recipe? Anyways, thanks for the same and will try definitely whenever prepares Aval payasam.

FYI, you can implement this paal payasam method even for semia payasam and you will get the good flavor and color.

Thanks & Bye.

R
16th June 2005, 03:06 AM
Here is an interesting and a different rasam from an article-

Vendhaya vengaya rasam:

Tomato 1 small
red chilly 2 to 3
fenugreek seed 1 spoon
thoor dal 1 tbsp
channa dal 1 tbsp
small onion 100 g(regular one is also fine)
tamarind
salt, haldi
coconut milk < 1/4 cup
water and ghee

Heat a spoon of ghee/oil, season with mustard, curry leaves, hing and halved chillies. Once spluttering is done, add seed, dals, saute till the color changes.

Add cut onions, fry more till the smell comes and pour tamarind water, cut tomato, salt with haldi. Let them boil in a medium fire. This gravy itself will be tempting to take directly.

Finally, add coconut milk(minimum qty is enough). Let it boil for a mt. then, keep aside.

Tasty rasam is ready.

R
16th June 2005, 01:51 PM
As I told, the rava seedai is here..

Rava seedai:

Rava 1 cup
urad flour 1/8 cup
coconut grated 2 tsp
hing 1/2 tsp
pepper jeera powder 1 tsp
salt 1 tsp
soft butter 1 tbsp

Heat vanali and dry fry rava till it is golden color. Cool down. After that, mix with the remaining ingredients. Before that, check if there is any dust in rava since most of the people does not have siever for rava.

Add little by little water to the rava mixture; unlike rice seedai, this seedai will absorb more water to make into balls becoz of rava. So, careful in pouring water.

Now, back to the same method-heat oil and when the temperature is ready, pour few number of seedais keeping the fire in medium. Once the color changes into golden, take them out.

Crunchy seedai is ready.

This is more easier than rice seedai if you get the right consistency.
-------------------------------------------

Basically, rava is coarse and we use it for dal vada in order to get crispiness. So, the same crispiness we are getting in this seedai becoz of the main ingredient.

Similar to the rava seedai, heard that one can prepare in steamed maida flour. But, have not tried..

Anyways, seedai vaaram is OVER.

R
16th June 2005, 05:44 PM
This sambar which I learnt from my husband's aunty who is in Trichur; with a simple ingredients, but the taste and flavor will be so irresistible!! She would say that this is how she use to make Kerala or (trichur) sambar at her place.

I cant compete with the authentic Keralite taste, still...

Kerala sambar: (all qty are app., so, converted to my measurement)

Thoor dal 2 handfuls cooked
haldi 1/4 tsp
onion 1 small
potato 1 small
drumstick 5 to 6
okra 3 to 4
Ash gourd 4 to 5 cubical pieces
tomato 1 small
green chillies 2 small
dhania 2 tbsp
fenugreek seed 1 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
hing 1 tsp
tamarind, salt depends
red chillies 3 + 1
coconut oil for sesoning
curry leaves and coriander leaves.

When comes to vegetables, you can add whatever at home. For instance, I use to make with standard frozen drumstick and frozen sambar onion with tomato.

Season in coconut oil with mustard, halved red chillies and curry leaves. Put onion and saute well. then, add one by one vegetables with green chillies saute for a couple of mts. Add water, haldi and salt, let them cook until they are done.

In a little amt of oil, add dhania, red chillies and fenugreek seed and grind ncely. Put the same in the boiling sambar and add mashed dal. Keep the fire in medium and let it boil till you get a unique flavor.

Finally, garnish with leaves.

Seethab
16th June 2005, 09:35 PM
Hi R:

You have mentioned tamarind in the ingredients but havent instructed as to when to add it ? is it smabar w/o tamarind?

Thanks

Seetha

R
16th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Hi seetha,

You can add tamarind when the water starts boiling, ok..

kavithasenthil
16th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Frs,

I read sometime back..in the discussion of sambar..some one stated(nichiro?)the best sambar is coimbatore sambar. As i am from erode which is also kongu nadu(cbe,pollachi,erode,tripur,karur and salem belt -Kongu Nadu),i like to share the secret of the tasty kongu sambar.

After u preparing the sambar,finally u will add hing and switch of the fire. The secret is add spoon of jeera powder and a spoon of corriander powder along with hing. Amazingly u will get very delicious sambar. Try this when u make sambar next time.

gvb
16th June 2005, 11:54 PM
Hi R,
Thanx for the Rava seedai..Seems simple enuf..Will try it out sometime soon..Becos of our in-depth discussions i feel pretty confident about it..Thanks for all ur inputs..

GVB

gvb
17th June 2005, 05:24 AM
R I made Dal Kabab just now and it has come out really great..It smells really good too!!I also tried that "Dharmapuri keerai vadai" In Chef Damodharan thread posted by Indu and thats worth trying also..

GVB

R
17th June 2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for passing on the info., abt keerai vadai.

Abt dal kabab, made two times for my friends & folks. Both of the time, I got lots of compliments from everyone.

One tip when comes to dal vada; if you know it already, pls ignore..

Before grinding dal, take a handful of whole dal separately according to the qty. After grinding, mix the ground paste with the whole dal, make vada; then, you will realize the taste.

Bye.

Sowmya
17th June 2005, 09:12 PM
Hi kavitha Senthil
Can yo u please post some Coimbatore/kongu nadu special veg recipes?Something unique,special in those parts of tamilnadu?

Regards

gvb
17th June 2005, 11:05 PM
Hi R
Just made that "Kalasamelara Kuzhambu" and as u said it does taste heavenly..Thanx.
i din't know about adding whole dhal to the vada..I wish i had known b4..I'll incorporate that next time.It will be crunchier right if we had channa dhal like that?
I wanted to ask u this..can we make javvarisi payasam in the pressure cooker method?Also have u any idea how much semiya shud we add for semiya payasam?

GVB

kavithasenthil
18th June 2005, 02:07 AM
Sowmya,
Sure, will post couple of tasty recipes from our area.

R
18th June 2005, 03:25 AM
Hi gvb,

Abt vada, adding whole dhal to the ground paste will give not only a crispier one, but also yield a tastier vada. If you make it, then will know the difference.

By any chance, if yr vada does not turn out crispier, you can add 1 tbsp of rava too; then, the crispiness will come automatically which tried many times.

Abt payasam, have not tried with sago since in my family no one likes it. Not only that, it has this sticking quality unlike rice and semia. Maybe, cook and keep separately. then, after boiling the milk everything is done, can mix.

Abt semia payasam, the same qty as we are taking for paal payasam.

Thanks for the compliment; For this kuzhambu, the most important veggies which gives an additional taste are sweet potato and pumpkin just like how ash gourd and drumstick gives you an extra flavor in avial.

Bye.

R
18th June 2005, 03:36 AM
I dont know how many of you knows about Thalagam(thiruvadhirai kuzhambu or kootu) which can be done during thiruvadhirai festival or can be prepared during normal days.

If you prepare this kootu and appalam with rice, that is it. Dont have to prepare anything. It will give extra taste on the next day when you add extra fried onion.

Anyways, here it is-

Thiruvadhirai kuzhambu or kootu:

Mixed vegetable as mentioned for kalasamelara kuzhambu 2 cups
Boiled thoor dal 1 cup
tamarind
tomato otpl. 1 small

Fry and grind in little oil:

channa dal 1 tbsp
dhania 2 tbsp
coconut grated or dessicated 3 tbsp
curry leaves 1 tsp
red chillies 4 to 5
methi seed 1/2 tsp
pepper 1/2 tsp

Seasoning in coconut oil or sesame oil

mustard 1 tsp
hing 1/2 tsp
urad dal 1 tsp

Cook vegetables with water. As I said earlier, either sweet potato or pumpkin is a must for this kootu. cook dal separately.

Fry the above said ingredients and grind nicely. Keep aside.

Do seasoning, add the boiled vegetables with salt, tamarind and haldi. When it starts boiling, add boiled dhal and the ground powder. Let them boil for 5 mts in a medium fire.

Since we put lots of vegetables and dhal, it will take the chilli taste easily. So, you can add extra sambar powder, if you want or while seasoning, add halved chillies.

Can be taken as a sambar or kootu consistency. Either way, the taste will be so so yummy.

-----------------------------------------------

Alteration:

1. With the vegetables, you can add cooked white channa, black channa and peanut quarter cup together with the vegetables.

2. Since this dish will be prepared during festival, you are not supposed to put onion. But, the next day(if any leftover is there),
heat oil, add cut onions and tomato, mix the kootu and boil for some time.

gvb
18th June 2005, 08:30 AM
[tscii:cb723c395c]Hi R
I made Javvarasi payasam the other day following Meenakshi ammal’s recipe and it din’t stick at all..The taste was also really good..Iam going to try your pressure cooker method next week..Maybe I’ll try paal payasam first.I made the Kuzhambu using white pumpkin only..Next time will add sweet potatoes also.Thanx for ur suggestions.

GVB
[/tscii:cb723c395c]

R
18th June 2005, 01:38 PM
gvb, meant pumpkin(parangikai), not ash gourd(poosani); in fact, poosani is not a must for this gravy or thaalagam.

Abt payasam, yes, of course,you can prepare it; but, if you pressure cook it with milk and keep for 30 mts on the stove, then, am not sure abt the result; this is what I meant.

Hope i am clear.

gvb
19th June 2005, 04:41 AM
Oh Okay R..I only had Ash gourd with me at home so thats y I used it..
Next time i will get the vegetables right.. :)

R
21st June 2005, 05:19 AM
Here is a simple recipe for vegetable bath:

Vegetable bath:

Mixed vegetables 1 cup
Raw rice 1/2 cup
thoor dal and moong dal 1/4 cup each
tamarind, salt
tomato optl.

Dry fry and powder

dhania, channa dal, urad dal 1 tbsp each
red chillies 3

Take any remaining vegetables like carrot, brinjal, snake gourd, beans, pumpkin, onion, ash gourd, frozen corn etc. and cut into medium pieces.

Wash and soak the rice dhal together for 30 mts in water to get a soft texture.

Heat oil, add a tsp of mustard, 1 sprig of curry leaves and add all vegetables, stir for some time. Add water with tamarind, salt and soaked rice and dals, mix well. Pressure cook until it is soft.

You can omit moong dal and use full thoor dal too. For more flavor, can add ghee at the end.

Garnish with coriander leaves.

--------------------------------------------

R
21st June 2005, 05:25 AM
Paruppu usili is a very famous dish in TN as far as I know. When you get up fed up with the channa dal usili, try this for a change.

Roasted gram usili:

Any vegetables like carrot, cabbage, beans or assorted of the three 2 cups
Roasted gram 2 handfuls
red chillies 3
jeera 2 tbsp

Seasoning in oil:

mustard 1 tsp
urad dal 2 tsp
curry leaves 1 sprig
hing, haldi
salt.

Do seasoning in oil and add the cooked vegetables with enough salt. Saute in medium flame till it is dry.

Meanwhile, grind gram dal nicely with jeera and chillies with enough salt and haldi. Mix a tsp of water to make it like dry paste(crumbling consistency).

Once done with the vegetables, add this crumbling paste to the vanali and mix well without mashing but, mix well both of them. cook for some time until the raw smell goes off completely.

Garnish with coriander leaves.

R
21st June 2005, 05:33 AM
Thoor dal vada:

Thoor dal 1 cup
jeera 1 tsp
red chillies 2 to 3
hing, salt.
onion small 1
beet grated 1 small

Grind dal with chillies and jeera as a coarse paste. Mix the other ingredients with dal paste. Before that, keep a tbsp of whole dal apart and mix it with the paste too.

You can add cut leaves like pudhina or curry or coriander leaves. Mix well and make it a small small vadas.

Though it is just like our regular vada, the beet color will get you a good name from the guests and it is quite attractive too.

R
21st June 2005, 06:57 PM
This week's SUN TV collections..

Wheat rava usili:

Wheat rava 2 cups
onion 1 cup
red chillies 3 to 4
coconut grated 1/2 cup
mustard 1 tsp
green peas or any vegetables like beans, carrot 1/2 cup
channa dal 1 cup
hing 1 tsp
curry leaves and salt.

Grind the soaked dal, hing, chillies to coarse paste without adding any water.

Heat oil in a vanali, add the paste stir well till the raw smell goes off.

Heat oil separately, add onion, leaves saute well. Add coconut, peas, salt with 4 cups of water; close the vessel till the water starts boiling. Add rava, cook on low flame stirring in between.

Remove the lid and check whether all the water has evaporated and rava is cooked. Once all done, add the dal mixture, mix well rava and dal mixture. Keep aside.

For kids, make it as an oval shape and serve.

---------------------------

My variation:

Omit onion, coconut; just dhal alone is enough. Adding vegetables is upto you.

You can try this usili with dal alone which is equally good. Similarly, you can try with ready made sevai & idly pieces.

Instead of direct cooking, you can add enough water and cook in cooker too.

R
21st June 2005, 07:01 PM
Bread masala:

Onion 1
tomato 2
tomato puree 1/2 cup
toasted bread(cut into pieces) 4
chilli powder 1 tsp
dhania powder 1 tsp
mint leaves 1/2 cup
coriander leaves little
cinnamon little
saunf 1 tsp
cloves 2
ghee 1 tsp
oil and salt.

Make powder with cinnamon, saunf and cloves.

Heat oil, add onion saute well till it is transparent. Add tomato, all powders, mix well. Add the tomato puree with salt and let them boil for some time.

Add ghee, leaves mix well. A couple of minutes before switching off the fire, add bread. Mix well.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''

R
21st June 2005, 07:12 PM
Paneer birbali:

Paneer 200 g(cut into small pieces)
tomato, onion 1/2 cup each
fresh cream 1/4 cup
brinji leaves 1
cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
chilli powder 1 tsp
cinnamon 1/4 tsp
besan flour 1/4 cup
jeera 1/2 tsp
milk 2 tsp
ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
coriander leaves, salt & oil.

Marinate paneer pieces with half qty of the besan flour, chilli powder, little salt, oil and mix well with hands without mashing paneer and soak for 30 mts.

Heat oil, add cinnamon, brinji and jeera saute well. Add onion, leaves, chilli powder, ginger garlic paste and fry well till all the raw smell disappears completely. Add tomato, cook with salt, remaining besan flour, fresh cream, milk; stir for some time. Add cardamom powder cook for some more time till you get a good flavor.

Arrange the marinated paneer in a wide vessel or on a plate and microwave it for 2 mts to get crispiness; maximum time would be 3 mts. If you keep more than that, then it will be very hard and the entire taste will get spoilt.

Before serving, mix paneer and the gravy. The gravy should be in liquid stage becoz adding paneer will make it semi solid.

--------------------

Few points from me:

Though it is a side dish for roti, you cant take or make this as a fullfledged one, since we cant take plain paneer with onion tomato gravy which makes our stomach very heavy.

Also, dont put too much of paneer which does not tastes good.

While making dal or some vegetables, make this paneer dish as an extra dish so that you can also enjoy the taste.

=====================

gvb
22nd June 2005, 01:07 AM
Hi R,
Great to see so many yummy recipes posted already..am eager to try the thoor dal vada..Made "kerala sambhar" and it came out good althou the smell of coconut oil takes a little getting used to..Thanx.

Is wheat rava Cracked wheat/broken wheat?

GVB

R
22nd June 2005, 01:42 AM
So, dont u use coconut oil for seasoning in mor kuzhambu or avial? I am so surprised becoz I always love the smell of coconut oil seasoning and that is the main reason, have started seasoning even for mor kuzhambu too!!

gvb
22nd June 2005, 01:50 AM
Yes for Avial i use coconut oil to do the seasoning..But this is the first time i have tried it in sambhar.

R
22nd June 2005, 01:57 AM
Understood..but, you can even use nallennai for seasoning if you dont like the smell of coconut oil. Not only for this, I use to season for mor kuzhambu or avial if I dont have coconut oil in stock..

They both give their own distinct flavor and taste. They are much better than peanut or corn or vegetable oils.

gvb
22nd June 2005, 04:22 AM
I always use nallenai for Vatha kuzhambu infact..In my opinion it doesn't stand out like coconut oil but I do love its flavor in Avail..It gives a distinctive aroma ..

Wat is wheat rava?Is it broken wheat,cracked wheat?

GVB

R
22nd June 2005, 05:21 AM
Off late, have been using nallennai for all the seasoning like kuzhambu, sambar, curries; since it has been using by our parents, grand parents, there is no confusion like we have with other oils. And, I am really comfortable too!

Wheat rava is our regular godhuma rava, no..I think it is cracked wheat. Are cracked wheat and broken wheat different? But, here the godhuma rava grains are little bigger than what we get in TN. So, I always soak it for few mts and pressure cook.

gvb
22nd June 2005, 06:45 AM
Broken wheat and cracked wheat are the same..I made a mistake..Thanx for clarifying that..

GVB

gvb
23rd June 2005, 12:27 AM
Hi R,
Made "paalpayasam" today(ur method) and the taste was fantastic....The best part about it was that it didn't stick at all and that saves a lot "scrubbing" time,not to metion the time we have to stand stirring...This is going to be my standard method from now on..Thanks for a great recipe..

GVB

R
23rd June 2005, 02:29 AM
Glad that you liked it..Thanks, gvb..

arrecipes
23rd June 2005, 05:19 AM
Can anyone mail me the recipes of Mrs. Revathy Shanmugam.
Thanx .

arrecipes

arrecipes
23rd June 2005, 05:21 AM
My mail id is arrecipes@yahoo.com

gvb
23rd June 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi R
Made "navadhanya Sundal" Yesterday as Snack..I wasn't expecting it to taste this good but it did..It was really yummy..Thanks for the recipe.

GVB

sk
23rd June 2005, 07:49 PM
Hi R,

In the mango burfi recipe,you had asked to use 2 big ripe mango.Can i use 2 cups of mango pulp?.

Regards
sk

R
23rd June 2005, 11:00 PM
Good, gvb..when I made this sundal with white channa alone for navarathiri, my friends were so surprised on the masala taste. It will be much much better when you do with white channa!!

R
23rd June 2005, 11:54 PM
Yes, sk.. have not tried preparing directly from the pulp; but, tried extracting pulp from the mango and also saw that 1 BIG size mango gives 1 cup of pulp.

FYI, if you dont add koa, then, you dont have to add this much of sugar(8 cups) becoz, it will absorb sweet; then, the qty of ghee will also increase like how we do in mango halwa.

kavithasenthil
24th June 2005, 10:03 PM
Hi R or Anyone tell me the page number to c navadhaniya sundal? i like to try.

R, Tired that recipe? I am very busy with house work this week so couldn't able to send pm or post anything. :(

gvb
24th June 2005, 10:25 PM
Kavitha
Its in "Baby food" thread in Page 10.

kavithasenthil
24th June 2005, 10:50 PM
Thks a lot gvb.

sk
26th June 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi R,

How do u make ghee from butter?.I use unsalted butter but i'm not getting the exact ghee smell.
Regards,
Sk

R
27th June 2005, 02:18 AM
Hi sk,

Land O lakes is one of the best brand when comes to butter; but, the price is comparatively higher than the other brands available here.

The other butter brands which tried from Indian stores does not have a good smell like you said; have tried some brands like Hotel bar etc. and am not very happy abt it.

Recently, have started buying butter from Costco(kirkland) and it is much better than the above one-price & taste wise.

Procedure is very simple-Heat a vanali or pan, add the sticks and keep in sim (if you keep sim, dont have to stay in a place; every 5 mts, can come and check)until the full sound completely disappears or the bottom color will be white in the beginning, then, change into maroon and finally will be black. That is the time to switch off and immediately transfer the vessel to some warm place; otherwise, with the heat, the butter will go to the next level.

Black color means the beginning stage and if you wait till the end, it will burnt totally.

Also, add a couple of drumstick leaves or curry leaves or 1/2 tsp of buttermilk to get extra flavor after switching off the fire like how our parents do back at home.

Good luck.

bhargavi.raj
27th June 2005, 05:07 AM
Hi,
I have a suggestion too, try jewel osco brand butter ,it gives the same result like landolakes.
Bhargavi.Raj

Sowmya
27th June 2005, 06:45 AM
Hi Sk
After following R' s method you can try adding a small piece of jaggery at the end.. to get flavour + my MIL says the ghee lasts longer too. :D

regards
Sowmya

sk
27th June 2005, 07:47 AM
Hi R,

Even i use costco Kirkland Butter,but from your method i found out what mistake am making.I used to switch off when it turns to maroon color.Nextime,will wait tills it turns black.

Thanx a lot R,Bhargavi and Sowmya.
Regards,
Sk

R
27th June 2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Kavitha,

Here is the recipe of Mrs.Revathy which is from SUN TV collections. You can follow the same recipe to make all urundais like pottukadala, kadala, arisi pori urundais which I use to make for every karthigai festival, FYI.

Pori Urundai:

Arisi pori 4 cups
jaggery 1 cup
water 1 big karandi(1/4 cup)
cut coconut 1/4 cup
cardamom powder 1 tsp
rice flour optl. or ghee 1 tbsp
sesame seed 1 tbsp

Heat ghee, add coconut, seed fry it and add to pori. Add cardamom powder, keep aside.

If you want, you can dry fry pori for few mts and then, start making urundai.

Prepare syrup with jaggery and water; take a small cup of water and if you pour 1/4 tsp of syrup, and try to make a ball, it should form as a ball which is the right consistency. If you put the ball down, a mild sound will come).

Immediately, transfer the pori mixture to the syrup mix well and apply ghee on yr hands to resist the heat and not to stick at yr hands; start making balls when it is tolerable heat.

Some tips:

For starters, begin with rough balls and while done with all urundais, you can make stiff balls becoz, in a few mts itself, the syrup will be dry and cant make any balls. So, it is better to rush to make balls roughly.

If you cant make balls in the middle, keep the pori with jaggery syrup kadai on stove; stir and it will come to the stage of making balls; now make balls quickly. (BUT, DONT KEEP ON DOING THE SAME).

Instead of making balls, you can even put it in the greased plate and level, cut into pieces.

Some people dust th e hand with rice flour and start making balls; but, to my opinion, if you apply ghee on yr hand, the urundai smell will be great and also wont stick at our hand whereas the rice flour, have tried; the hot urundai will sometime stick at our palm which was unbearable one and cant even do anything other than washing in cold water.

So, my suggestion is to grease ghee on hands.

Variation:

As I said earlier, you can apply this procedure and make kadala urundai, pottukadala urundai and even cut mixed nut urundai like tiny pieces of badham, cashew and pista.

For kadala urundai, dry fry till it is little crispy; better to buy skinless peanut so that you dont have to remove all skins. For pottukadalai urundai, dry fry for a couple of mts and proceed.

For the above urundais, dont have to add coconut; adding sesame seed and cardamom powder is optional.

gvb
27th June 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi R
Made "Vegetable bath" yesterday..Tasted good and hardly required any effort to make it at all..Thanx .

GVB

khushi
27th June 2005, 08:55 PM
Hi R and gvb,
Where is the vegetable bath recipe? Please let me know.

-Regards and Thanks,
Khushi.

sk
27th June 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi R,

I made Mysore Pak today(My 1st M Anniversary) its really AWESOME :) .My husband liked it a lot.This is the 1st time n I followed each n every tip which u gave and the utimate result is too good.Thanx a ton.You made my day.Thanx once again for explaining it so clearly.

Regards,
sk

R
27th June 2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Khushi,

The vegetable bath recipe is in 23rd page.

Bye.

R
27th June 2005, 11:06 PM
Good to know that you have succeeded in the first attempt itself of making mysore pak..

And, Happy Anniversary to you and yr hub., !!

Bye.

R
27th June 2005, 11:06 PM
Glad to note down the msg, gvb.

Thanks.

R
28th June 2005, 06:03 AM
Jackfruit(palapazham) poli:

Raw rice 1 cup
jaggery 1 cup
jack fruit(tinned) 8 since fresh is not available here
water to cover the jaggery
cardamom powder 1 tsp
coconut grated 1 tbsp

Soak rice in water for 3 to 4 hrs and grind with the fruit nicely. Earlier, open the jack fruit tin and drain the preservative completely and wash the fruit well in cold water to remove the smell completely.

While grinding, add cardamom, coconut and mix well. Prepare syrup until jaggery dissolves completely in water. Once it is cold, add it to the rice batter instead of plain water.

Heat vanali, add 1 tbsp of ghee, add the batter cook till it is like mashed banana in consistency. When cold, take small balls like we take for poli and pat it on a greased ziploc cover. Pat it thin or thick poli and once the pan is hot, place the poli and add ghee or oil around.

Once the color turns brown, change the poli to the other side.

Great snack for kids!! Adults-nothing wrong in taking only one to taste.

------------------------------

R
28th June 2005, 06:29 AM
Channa masala:

chickpeas 2 cups
onion 1
tomato 2

Make paste :

coconut 1 1 /2 tbsp
cinnamon stick a small piece
ginger a big piece
garlic 2 flakes
cloves 4
cardamom 3
saunf 1 tsp
dhania 1 tsp
green & red chillies as reqd.
pepper 1/2 tsp
roasted gram 2 tsp

Soak channa in water overnight and cook it with salt and a teabag.

Cut onion to pieces. Fry onion in 3 to 4 tbsp of oil. Add the paste and fry till oil separates. (If paste sticks to vessel, for any recipe, it means oil is less.)

Add half tsp of all : dhaniya powder, cumin powder, garam masala(preferably channa masala), turmeric powder and salt for taste. Add cut tomato to it & fry for some time.

Add the cooked channa to it. Add little tamarind water or paste(half tsp) to it and a small piece of jaggery. Boil for some time. Garnish with coriander and cut onions. Add lime juice as needed..

Dont forget to take off the tea bag after cooking channa.

-----------------------

Variation:

You can even add cooked carrot & potato pieces.

For grinding, instead of the above paste, you can fry onion, tomato and grind with 2 tbsp of cooked channa which gives you a thicker consistency.

I had the above channa masala dish at one of my folks place. The ingredients/method are totally different which inspired me to try at once.

sk
28th June 2005, 06:22 PM
Hi R,

Thanx a lot.

Regards,
Sk

kavithasenthil
28th June 2005, 10:49 PM
Hello R,

I tried pori urundai just now. It came out really good. I just used pori,jaggery and water nothing else. Tried with just 2 cups of pori. After mixing i just put small heaps in a plate with wooden spoon then i formed balls. I didn't think making pori urundai is this much easy. Thanks for posting RS"s recipe. This pori urundai reminds me of my KG years. My daughter ate 1 whole urundai. :D

R
28th June 2005, 10:57 PM
thanks, kavitha..these urundais are nutritious too; so, there is nothing wrong in making once in two months or so as a snack for the kids!!

BTW, have u recd. my mail?

bhargavi.raj
29th June 2005, 09:28 PM
Hi friends,
I tried a recipe posted by R called roasted gram dal usili and it was fabulous. as she has mentioned its quite easy compared to regular usili (no soaking ) and it tastes very good.

Give it a try y'll
Keep Up ur good work R.
Bhargavi.Raj

R
30th June 2005, 12:48 AM
It is my pleasure, Bhargavi!!

Bye.

R
30th June 2005, 03:31 AM
Here is the recipe for kathirikai kadala masala:

Eggplant 1/4 kilo
skinless peanut 1/4 cup
coconut milk 1/4 cup
kuskus, cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp each
tamarind
pepper, chilli powder 1 tsp each
salt, sesame oil

Grind peanut, kuskus with coconut or directly use coconut milk. Cut the brinjal into lengthy pieces.

Heat oil, add the whole pepper and cinnamon, stir them. Add eggplant and fry tilll it is cooked and brown in color. Now, add the ground paste, fry well. After 5 mts, add tamarind water and mix well. Put chilli powder, salt and stir more.

Let the gravy boils till it is semi solid.

Alteration:

People those who dont want to take coconut milk can substitute with coconut milk plus our regular milk in the place of 1/4 cup.

===================

Pooh
30th June 2005, 05:49 PM
Thirunelveli sambar was very much appreciated in our house.
Thanks

Kz
30th June 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Kavitha,

Tried ur aval payasam recipe, it was very good and tasty. i made it thick and looked like pudding. is it the way it should be or should it be more thinner? which kind of aval do u use? i used thin aval and it came out good.

Kz

R
30th June 2005, 08:01 PM
You are very welcome, Pooh..

Seethab
30th June 2005, 09:06 PM
Dear R:

Can I substitute plain milk(only) instead of coconut milk? in some of the recipes that you have given? will the taste be diff?

Thanks

Seetha

R
30th June 2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry seetha, have not tried with plain milk; but, when I posted a recipe for coconut milk pulav(made with coconut milk & water), some hubber had mentioned that she tried with our regular milk and she liked the taste too. So, definitely, it shd be fine.

We are doing brinjal kootu with plain water; even, then, the taste is coming out nice. Not only that, when we make ven pongal, sometimes, makes with milk and water; the taste will be wonderful too.

Since the milk is getting boiled, it will give its own taste to the dish. If you are fine, do the seasoning in coconut oil to get the coconut smell. Otherwise, that is also ok...

Bye.

kavithasenthil
1st July 2005, 01:05 AM
Hello KZ,

I am glad you liked the recipe. :D . You did it correct. It should be of pudding consistancy. And i use 'poha thick' aval. This poha thick looks like falttend pori. I hope u also refer the same.

Seethab
1st July 2005, 03:12 AM
Thanks R for your prompt reply!! I shall def try one of the recipes that you have posted with milk substitution. Which brand of coconut oil do you recommend?

You are doing a wonderful job of posting so many yum yum recipes.

happy long weekend!!

Seetha

R
1st July 2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks and have a nice weekend to you and yr family too!!

I always prefer to use Parachute (blue color) coconut oil. Certainly, it gives more pleasure while sharing recipes with others than cooking and eating by ourselves!!

Bye.

Kz
1st July 2005, 03:48 AM
Hi Kavitha,

Yeah i was refering to the same, but since i have thin aval i used them and it came out good. once this aval is over i will try with thick aval. i got this thin aval mistakenly and trying to use it up.

Kz

R
2nd July 2005, 03:08 AM
Before the long weekend begins, will quickly fill up this week's collection from SUN TV..

Fruit nut Shrikand:

Mango ripe 1
apple 1
pomegranate 1
thick curd 1 cup
grapes 1 cup
sugar 1 cup
badham 6
cardamom 2

Cut all the fruits into tiny pieces and take out the seeds from the pomegranate.

Beat sugar with curd & cardamom powder well; add 3/4th of all assorted fruits.

Place the above mixture in a bowl and decorate with remaining fruits and nuts on the top.

Nutritious one for kids!

Tip:

Using hung curd will yield a better and tasty result.

------------------------------------

R
2nd July 2005, 03:13 AM
Stuffed idly:

Cooked idlies 4
carrot, beans 1 each (cooked)
bread crumbs depends
maida
curry leaves
masala gravy from pickles optl.

Cut the idly into halves so that you will get two pieces of idlies. Take a piece, slit idly carefully to do the stuffing.

Mix the masala gravy and cooked vegetables; stuff the same inside the idlies.

Prepare maida batter adding water(watery consistency) and dip idlies in the same, roll over on the crumbs. You can either shallow fry or deep fry in oil.

--------------------------------------

While talking about these idlies, I do recollect one more variation, which is little similar to the above. Cut into 4 pieces from an idly. Fry them in oil and put them in sambar or take it just like that!!

Yummy snack is ready..

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Raathi
2nd July 2005, 08:19 AM
Hi R,
About the 2 above recipes i didn't see them on this week's MANGAYAR CHOICE though i missed today's show so those are today's (Friday-july-01 ) recipes?
Thank you.

R
2nd July 2005, 02:32 PM
sorry Raathi..I dont post the recipes in order; which ever tried and tasted better, am posting them only. This has been shown a long while ago!!

Yesterday, guess they showed about some sandwich which looked so yummy. If you want, will post it next week..

Bye.

Raathi
3rd July 2005, 08:15 AM
Thankyou Verymuch for your reply R!Please post it whenever you are free.Guess Thursday also they showed one sandwich recipe.Again thankyou for your kindness!

Pooh
3rd July 2005, 07:25 PM
I made paruppu puli kuzambu yesterday and boy it was good!!!!

sk
3rd July 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi R,

Can u plz post the recipe for Adai if u have it?.

Thanx in Advance.
Rgds,
Sk

R
3rd July 2005, 11:26 PM
sk, have tried quite a few varieties of adai; will post you all of them shortly.

Thanks for waiting..

pr
4th July 2005, 03:08 AM
Dear R
Tried ur MYSOREPAK recipe and it came out great . This is the first time i,m trying mysorepak . I followed ur instructions carefully and succeedded in my attempt . Thank u very much for posting the recipe.

But i have a question.. how to know the single thread consistency ..what i did this time is i tried stretching the syrup with hands and tested if it came like a string .. one more thing , abt adding oil i added 1 cup of canola oil directly from the can .. shld we heat it and add, becoz i felt the oil smell . Thast why asking . I added 2 cups of ghee at the end though .. Pls clarify when u find time
Thanks and Regards
PR

R
4th July 2005, 09:41 PM
Here is the first recipe for adai:

Arisi (rice) adai:

Raw rice 1 cup
channa dal 1/2 cup
thoor dal 1/3 cup
urad dal 3 tbsp

II part of grinding:

Red or green chillies 2 to 3
pepper 1 tsp
jeera 1 tsp
coconut grated otpl. 1 tbsp
hing, salt.
haldi

to be mixed:

Veggies like carrot, cabbage, beans or onion alone
coriander leaves, curry leaves or mint leaves alone.

Soak all dals with rice in water for 2 to 3 hrs. Drain water completely and grind it coarsely by adding sufficient amt of water. After grinding the batter, transfer it into a vessel; now, put the second part and grind it nicely. Or, you can put them together and do it at one shot. Mix well with hing, haldi and enough salt.Let them stay for 30 mts.

Now, chop all the mixed vegetables into tiny pieces or add onion alone; similarly, can add curry and coriander leaves together or cut mint leaves alone to the batter.

Start making thin or thick batter depending on yr wish. Closing a lid on the tava will faster the cooking. After pouring the adai batter on the tava, put two or three holes in the centre at the back of the spatula or laddle to make the cooking faster.

Spread the oil on the holes and around the adai. Once the color is red, then, turn on the other side and proceed. Since it is coarse paste of dhals and rice, will take some time to cook. Adding ghee will enhance a better taste.

Enjoy with milagai podi with ghee or avial which is the best combination.

Variation:

Omit all veggies and if you get banana flower, clean, cut the flower and mix with the batter; banana flower adai is ready.

Can add palak leaves & onion in the batter without any vegetables. Yum yum green color adai is ready!!

for kids, you can make tiny adai(palm size) and surely, they will enjoy our traditional tiffin.

=======================

Will come up with more adais and more variations soon!!

R
4th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Hi pr,

First of all, what you said abt the one thread consistency is right. Have to test by taking a little amt of syrup and press it in between thumb and the forefinger. If a long thread comes without any break, then, that is called single thread consistency.

To know when it comes exactly, the sugar will dissolve completely; after that, if you press, half string(string will break in the half itself) and next stage is the single thread.

Abt oil, I tried only once by adding 1/2 cup of oil as mentioned by myself. Yes, you can heat oil mildly(sorry, I shd have mentioned it already! with so many points, somehow, missed this one) but, no need to heat until the boiling temperature as we do with ghee.

Adding ghee at the end will disappear the oil smell. If you feel that it still comes, maybe you can use the oil qty from half cup to 3/4th cup.

Appreciate yr feedback. Thanks once again.

Pooh
5th July 2005, 02:18 AM
mango puli kuzambu came out verywell.
thanks

Seethab
5th July 2005, 03:42 AM
Hi R:

This is the adai that I make.

Rice: 1 cup

Dhals:
Take 1/4 cup of all the dhals,Toor dhal, channa dhal, moong dhal & urad dhal

Soak the above for about 2 - 3 hrs. Decant the water and
grind the above rice and dhal coarsely adding enough water along with 2 green chilles and one red chili (can add more if you eat spicy food) and 1/4th of an inch piece of ginger.

Once the batter is ready add salt, hing, turmeric and curry leaves. Also can add veggies as mentioned by R or plain onions will taste simply great.

Tips:
Use urad dhal with husk and it will give a special taste and lend softenss to adai and kids would love it.Moong dhal will make the adai very crispy and enhance the adai color.

Thanks!

Seetha

Seethab
5th July 2005, 03:44 AM
Hi R:

Can I request you for a tested mint chutney? thanks

Seetha

R
5th July 2005, 04:08 AM
Seetha, it has been quite a long time since I made adai; on seeing yr version, guess that it is time to do!!

Will give you my feed back..

Bye.

bhargavi.raj
5th July 2005, 07:04 AM
We make adai's all the time @ home.We call it Navadania Adai.I would like to share this recipe as it is high in protien and very nutritous.

Navadania Adai:
You will need
raw rice 11/4cup
idli rice 1/4cup
dal:
dried blackeyed peas 1/4cup
channa dal 1/4cup
rajma 1/4cup
toovar dal 2tbsp
whole urad dal 2tbsp
whole moong dal (pachai pair) 2tbsp
cashews 1tbsp
(back home we also used a 1tbsp of mochai)

hing
red chillies 10

Method:-
soak all the above for 4hrs.
grind into a coarse paste.add curry leaves & salt.
add methi leaves chopped (optional)
or any other vegies of choice.
Make adais.use til oil for the adais and we usually serve it with avial & jaggery.any side dish will do.
its yummy and rustic.
Bhargavi.Raj

R
5th July 2005, 03:40 PM
Yes, indeed..it is highly nutritious, Bhargavi..thanks for sharing..

Anyways, here is the recipe for Rajma adai:

Raw rice 1 cup
rajma 1/2 cup

There is no dals here; rest of the ingredients are from Rice adai, you can follow:

Red chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves, pepper, jeera etc.

Soak rajma separately for 4 to 5 hrs. and rice for 2 to 3 hrs. Grind rajma and then, add rice with other ingredients.

Adding a piece of ginger is also optional; but, a good idea. Since adai has lots of dals and pulses, digestion will take a little while. Adding ginger, jeera and pepper will serve the purposes.

Any vegetables you can add as mentioned.

=====================

Variations in adai:

Follow the ingredients & steps for making rice adai; alongwith that, can add 1/4 cup of any one of the following:

black channa or green whole moong or white channa or chowly(kaaramani)-maroon/white

I saw this type of adai making at my friend's mother's place. That aunty use to say that one can add soaked whole wheat grain and grind it with adai!! I am yet to try.

Tried with rest of the ingredients, and they all tasted differently.

In the place of raw rice, you can try usingpar boiled rice and obviously, boiled rice gives you soft texture.

will post more varieties of adai later this day alongwith variations...

sk
5th July 2005, 05:49 PM
Thanx R,Seethab and Bhargavi for the adai recipes. will try one by one asap.

Regards,
sk

pr
5th July 2005, 07:20 PM
Dear R
Thanku very much for ur response . One more thing i wanted to ask u , For the texture of mysorepak like SKS , shld we add more ghee and take away the mysorepak from stove a little b4.?? pls clarify when u find time ..
Thanks and regards
PR

pr
5th July 2005, 07:23 PM
Dear friends
I bought cottage cheese (small curd ) thinking that it would be like paneer . But the texture is not like paneer and its somewhat like curd .. How can i incorporate this in our dishes ? Any suggestions ??
Thank u very much
Regards
PR

R
5th July 2005, 07:25 PM
This is from SUN TV collection:

Thought that I already posted, but did not..anyways, tried this and quite a different one.

Sago adai:

Raw rice 1 cup
sago 1/2 cup
thoor dal 1/2 cup
urad dal 1/2 cup
green chillies 1
ginger 1 piece
curry leaves
oil and salt

Soak dals and rice together for 4 hrs. Soak sago separately. Drain water and grind with other ingredients except for sago. After grinding, mix with sago; start making adais. Pour oil all over the adai.

Adding coconut is optl.

R
5th July 2005, 07:28 PM
Godhumai rava adai:

Godhuma rava 4 cups
thoor dal, urad dal & channa dal 1 cup together.

Soak rava in water for 30 mts and grind only if it is big in size. Othewise, grind dals alone and mix with soaked rava. Adding veggies, onion is as usual.

=====================

R
5th July 2005, 07:42 PM
Basic important adai recipes I have given now; other than this, there are many varieties like without adding dal say ragi adai, rava adai..

Without rice, can make adai only with dals! And in some more adais, you can omit a dal and include two more dals like thuvar dal adai; like this, many variations are there.

And, the ratio will differ slightly. Since it is a heavier tiffin, can try monthly once with different adais. That is how I do. If you want any particular recipes, will post it here..

Now comes to the variations part:

Adding drumstick leaves will be the best part in taking adai; people those who dont get, have to stick with other leaves.

You can add 2 or 3 cubes of red pumpkin or the seeds to the batter while grinding. Grind it and make adais.

Take one small size of tomato and grind it with adai batter at the final stage. Before making adais, grate half carrot, half beet and mix with adai, then make... Yum yum and colorful adai is ready!!

Dry fry sago for few mts. Grind it in mixie and keep this powder separately. Can add a couple of tsp to the batter of adai or dosa or even vada which will give a crispier taste!!

Have already mentioned that we can make adai with rice, dals and additionally pulses like whole moong or channa etc. Instead of the plain whole moong or channa, can sprout and add to the mixture while grinding which gives an extra nutrition.

----------------------------------------

R
5th July 2005, 07:54 PM
Yes, pr; tried only once by adding 3 cups of ghee and took the mysore pak vessel a little early from the stove; the texture came out softly just like cake.

Meantime, I also saw in my note book which have written a long while ago-in order to get a soft mysore pak, you can even add milk powder or something(have to check the file) which yields you a soft mysore pak. I am yet to try, maybe, should try for Diwali!!

Anyways, if you want, will share the recipe with you..

R
5th July 2005, 07:55 PM
pr, some time back, a hubber named Krz asked the same question and also got replies on incorporating cottage cheese, guess..

Bye.

R
5th July 2005, 07:56 PM
Seetha, shortly will get back to you with tested mint chutney.

Thanks for understanding..

Seethab
5th July 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi R;

Thanks so many adai varieties!! I am reposting my request for a tested mint chutney.

Seetha

R
6th July 2005, 12:17 AM
My mother makes mint chutney by grinding mint leaves with green chillies, salt and finally squeeze lemon juice; if you dont mind, can add 2 tsp of coconut grated while grinding.

You can even add half bundle of coriander leaves and half bundle of mint leaves too instead of a whole bundle of mint.

Frankly speaking, dont prefer this raw smell. So, this is my version..
This is semi chutney and semi thuvayal!! Hence, you can give the name whichever you prefer..

My version of mint chutney:

In a tsp of oil or lesser than that, add mustard, urad dal, hing, coconut(optl.), green chillies, mint leaves, 1/2 tomato with tamarind and stir them for a couple of mts.

Take a couple of pearl onion to give better flavor and fry for a minute or directly put them while grinding the above mixture. Dont forget to add salt.

People those who dont prefer tamarind, omit and pour lemon juice.

All quantities are approximately.

Seethab
6th July 2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks a ton R for the mint chutney/thogayal recipe. I shall try your version as I too dont like the raw smell of mint.

Seetha

Kz
6th July 2005, 11:28 PM
Hi Pr,
Even i bought one tub of cottage cheese and still looking for ideas for how to use them. if u come up with any do post, i will also.
i have used them in omelettes as suggested here in the forum and it was good. another poster suggested milkshakes using it.

Kz

R
8th July 2005, 12:21 AM
Tried this recipe from a tamil magazine; unbelievable, we had some guests and the kids-they would kept on asking becoz of the different color/taste. thanks to whoever published in the magazine.

Tomato dosa

Parboiled rice 4 cups
Urad dal 1 cup, tomato 10, green chillies 4
coriander leaves, salt & oil.

Soak rice and dal for 3 to 4 hrs. Take well riped tomato, chillies, salt and grind with rice-dal nicely. Add coriander leaves and make dosas.

Tips:

Though the fermentation is not given, I did ferment like we do for regular dosa batter.

Grind tomato and chillies separately in the mixie and then add the paste to the rice, dal while grinding.

Can reduce tomato's qty like 3 to 4(well riped) for a cup of rice. Similarly, can reduce or omit chillies.

========================

R
8th July 2005, 12:24 AM
[tscii:a80c648bc9]Got this too from the same magazine.

Mysore kadabu

Moong dal ˝ kilo
Kuskus 25 g
Cinnamon 5 g
Cardamom 10 g
roasted gram 50 g
potato 200 g
tomato 100 g
coconut 1
oil 5 sp
onion 100 g
green chillies 10, ginger 1
salt.

Grind chillies, coconut and kuskus nicely. Cook potato and remove the skin. Cook dal separately.

Heat oil, add cut onion, saute well; add tomato and cooked dal with salt. After some time, add paste, mix well. Pour enough water and when it boils, add potato, cook for some time. Goes with chappathi, poori, dosa and idly.

Tips:

You dont have to follow the ratio especially for coconut and chillies; can reduce very well.

While putting the potato, better put it with skin to retain vitamin.[/tscii:a80c648bc9]

R
8th July 2005, 01:00 AM
This week's recipes from SUN..

Raathi, here the sandwich recipe..

Hummus sandwich:

Chick peas 1/2 cup
bread 4
garlic 4
lime juice 1 tbsp
chilli powder
curd 2 tbsp
coriander leaves, oil & salt.

Put cooked channa and other ingredients, grind into paste. Put cut coriander leaves, mix well.

Take raw bread and spread the above paste on the above. Can take it as a raw one or put in sandwich maker and have it.

Either way, nice and healthy sandwich is ready.

A point:

If you reduce the spices, can be given to kids, even for 1 yr old. I have already mentioned in the baby food's thread abt plain hummus. Surely, this is a better variation for everyone.

A tiny variation:

Adding chilli powder & garlic will be little hot for people those who dont take spices. So, add little chilli powder & garlic while cooking channa so that it will not be too hot. Or, you can even add any homemade curry powder instead of plain chilli powder.

R
8th July 2005, 01:08 AM
Ennai thakkali gravy:

tomato 2 cups
onion 1 cup
pepper 1 tsp
chilli powder & mustard 1 tsp each
coconut 1/4 cup
urad dal 1 tsp
kuskus 1/2 tsp
cinnamon, haldi, sugar
cashew 10
ginger paste 1/2 tsp
garlic 6 flakes (split)
green chillies 1
saunf 1 tsp
dhania powder 1 tsp
cloves 1

To garnish: Coriander & mint leaves

Heat oil, add mustard, urad dal and onion saute well.

Add tomato with all powders, chillies, garlic(mashed), ginger paste and sugar; cook well.

Grind coconut, cashew, kuskus, saunf, cinnamon, cloves with garlic well with water. Add the paste to the above gravy with enough water and cook for some time.

Finally, garnish with leaves.

Some points from me:

When I made this gravy, added 1 tomato and rest used quarter tin of tomato paste.

And, abt cashew, you can add peanut (2 tbsp) and the taste was good. As usual, reduce the coconut qty to 2 tsp

Can reduce the garlic qty since here, the garlic smell and the taste is very hot. Similarly with pepper or chillies, put according to yr taste.

In my house, no one loves spices; so put half cloves, a pinch of saunf etc. Anyways, just take the recipe and do the variation on yr own!!

R
8th July 2005, 01:12 AM
Ellu urundai:

White sesame 1 cups
Rice flour 1/4 cup
salt a pinch
jaggery 1 cup
ghee

Dry fry seed till the color changes slightly.

Heat ghee(1 tbsp) add flour, fry till the flavor comes out. Grind the fried seed with flour enough to make balls.

Yummy and simple sweet is ready.

My variation:

For Vinayaka chathurthi, use to make this. I dont add rice flour; plain sesame seed with jaggery will also gives a good taste. Adding flour makes the urundais little dry in texture which is my personal opinion.

R
8th July 2005, 06:25 PM
contd. from page 18

page 18

uppu seedai
page 19

vella seedai
eggplant pasta
page 20
rice puri
dahi baingan
peanut kuzambu
banana milk shake
page 21
caramel payasam
paal payasam
page 22
aval payasam(kavitha)
vendhaya vengaya rasam
rava seedai
kerala sambar
page 23
tiruvadhirai kootu
vegetable bath
roasted gram usili
thoor dal vada
wheat rava usili
bread masala
paneer birbali
page 25
pori urundai
jackfruit poli
channa masala
page 26
kathirikai kadala masala
fruit nut shrikand
stuffed idly
page 27
rice adai
adai(seetha)
navadhania adai(bhargavi)
rajma adai
page 28
sago adai
godhumai rava adai
variations/suggestions abt vadai
mint chutney/thuvayal
tomato dosa
mysore kadabu
hummus sandwich
page 29
ennai thakkali gravy
ellu urundai

Raathi
8th July 2005, 11:57 PM
Thak you for the recipe R ! I think i watched this sanwich recipe but the Ennai thakkali gravy seems new to me so it might be the one which showed on last friday and it looks yummy too.Really appreciate your help!

R
9th July 2005, 12:23 AM
Are u talking abt the other sandwich(with some cooked vegetables alongwith fresh round cut veg.,?). I dont write any dates, so not sure which is which??

Let me kinow..

R
9th July 2005, 12:24 AM
This enna thakkali is a very old one. As I mentioned, dont post it in the order. Whichever inspired me the most, will try and post it here. So, it is always in jumbling order..

Urmila
9th July 2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks R for posting the juice recipes. Just came back 2 days ago from a short trip, will surely try out this week itself. Bye.

Raathi
9th July 2005, 01:43 AM
I guess watched this sanwich recipe too ( with some cooked vegetables alongwith fresh round cut veg.,) this one showed on last thursday (think she made it in a small electric griller or using a sanwitch maker).

it's ok R! please continue your regular postings if that missed show
recipe is a good one you would try and post it here.

Sowmya
9th July 2005, 10:41 PM
Hi R
Tried "Arisi Adai" y'day with vegs.It tasted awesome.Thanks

Regds
Sowmya

R
10th July 2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks, sowmya for expressing yr opinion.

Sowmya
11th July 2005, 02:39 AM
Hi R
prepared "Tomato dosai" today.The taste was very good and the very look of the dosas was inviting.. :D

Thanks
Sowmya

R
11th July 2005, 05:48 AM
Sowmya, I am really happy to note that we both have the same taste & thought!!

kavithasenthil
11th July 2005, 08:48 PM
Hi R,
how r you? Other than sunday samayal ...i don't c any cooking show in suntv. Whats the show time? could you pls reply me?thks.

sunflower
11th July 2005, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I am looking for Rasa Vadai recipe that was shown on sunTV few days back. If anyone has it, please post it here.

Thanks

Raathi
11th July 2005, 11:04 PM
Hi R,
I remember Long back you searched for cabbage pakoda( which was posted by Kamakshi) and yesterday i found out through old responses.
Here is the recipe!

CABBAGE PAKODA

INGREDIENTS
1 cup chopped cabbage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1cup besan flour
1/2 cup rice flour
3 green chillies chopped finely
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
salt to taste
A pinch of asafoetida
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon red chillie powder
1/2 handful of curry leaves
Oil to fry

METHOD
Mix all the above ingredients. Add water, just necessary to bind these. (If you add excess water the pakodas will not be crispier) .Drop these in small quantities in the oil kept in a kadai over medium flame.Fry to golden brown. Drain on paper towel and then serve.Cabbage pakoda are crispier than the regular ones.

Raathi
11th July 2005, 11:19 PM
Hi kavitha,
Here is the cookery show time information!
Tuesday thru saturday -Mangayar choice at 7.30 am EST
Every monday-Neengalum samaikkalaam at 8.30 am EST

Seethab
12th July 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi R:
I made mint chutney and made just one change. I added channa dal(fried as per your recipe) instead of urad dhal and it tasted yum.

Thanks

Seetha

R
12th July 2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks seetha for letting me know the variation..will try with channa dal someday.

R
12th July 2005, 06:11 AM
Actually, I totally forgot about cabbage pakoda. That is so nice of you, Raathi.

Thanks a ton for the favor.

R
12th July 2005, 06:15 AM
Hi Kavitha,

Thanks for asking..am doing good. Understood that you are quite busy.

Hope that Raathi had answered to yr query.

Bye.

R
12th July 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi friends,

Long time back, tried Chef Sanjeev kapoor's kitchidi and loved it very much; somehow missed it and did not get satisfaction with any of the recipes.

Atlast, found this one satisfactory and made some modification according to my taste; hope you all will like it.

Masala vegetable kitchidi:

Rice 2 cups
moong dal 1 cup
mixed vegetables carrots, cauliflower florets, beans, onion, green peas, potatoes, frozen corn etc. 2 cups
jeera 1 tsp
cloves 3
cinnamon 2 to 3
bay leaves 2
haldi 1/2 tsp
chilli powder 1 tsp
garam masala 1/2 tsp
salt
ghee/oil 2 tsp
water 5 to 6 cups

Wash the rice and dal, soak them in water for about 30 mts. Drain the water and keep aside.

Meanwhile, heat ghee/oil, add all raw spices, jeera fry for 2 mts. Add veggies, haldi & other powders with salt to taste. Add the rice and dal and fry them till the rice and dal are little dry.

Pour the sufficient amount of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles with simmer time 10 mts. After you open the cooker, check whether the water is in excess or not. If so, cook directly on the stove for some more time. Before that, mash slightly so that the taste will be so good and soft in texture.

Yummy kitchidi is ready to eat.

A point:

I remember eating in a gujarati restaurant this kitchidi without adding any veggies or even these extra spices. Anyways, recipes differ.

Side dish:

Kadi and spicy potato curry will go well with kitchidi. But, I prefer to introduce a new mixed vegetable curry here for kitchidi.

Mixed vegetable curry:

Eggplant(major portion) 3/4 from the big size
quarter portion from beet, potato, carrot, onion, tomato etc.

Cut all veggies into small pieces except for carrot & beet-grate them.

Fry in 1/2 tsp of oil and grind:

Red chillies 3 to 4
jeera 1 tsp
coconut 1 tbsp
dhania 1 tsp
garlic 1 to 2 flakes

Either directly grind all of them or fry in oil and grind nicely.

Season in oil with mustard, urad dal with curry leaves. Now, add the cooked veggies with haldi(cook eggplant separately) fry till they are dry. Finally, mix with the ground powder and stir well till they all coated evenly. Dont forget to add salt.

===============

R
12th July 2005, 06:48 AM
When one does not find time to make pickles instantly, but, want to taste home made, can try this.

Pressure cooker lime pickle:

Lemon 8
chilli powder 2 to 3 tsp
salt
methi powder 1/2 tsp
hing 1/2 tsp
haldi 1/2 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
oil 2 karandis(app.,)

cut lemon into pieces whichever you want to and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off the fire.

Dry fry fenugreek seed, hing and grind nicely.

Heat oil, add mustard and when it splutters switch off the fire. Put haldi, salt, ground powder, chilli powder mix well. Finally add lemon mix with the powders and store in a dry bottle.

Will come for atleast 2 months if you refrigerate them.
==================

R
12th July 2005, 06:57 AM
Pudhina kuzhambu:

Mint leaves 1/2 small bundle
tomato 1
bitter gourd 1
kabuli channa 2 tbsp cooked
pearl onion 10
jeera 2 tsp
tamarind
coconut 1 handful
dhania 2 tsp
red chillies 3 to 4
thoor dal 1 tsp

Seasoning:

Sesame oil
mustard 1 tsp
urad dal 1 tsp
haldi, hing
jeera 1/2 tsp
any appalam 2

Do seasoning with the above said things. Boil bitter gourd with water and drain the water to avoid the bitterness and wash it in cold water. Keep aside.

Heat pan, add 1/2 tsp of oil with dhania, 1 1/2 tsp of jeera, chillies, thoor dal, onion, coconut and mint leaves, grind nicely. You can reduce the quantity of leaves if you dont like the smell of leaves.

Now, in the seasoning, add water, cooked channa, above powder, bitter gourd, tamarind, salt boil for some time till you get a good flavor. When it starts boiling, add cut or roughly mashed tomato. Boil for some time.

Goes with rice well.

Point:

Actual kuzhambu will be prepared by adding 2 bundles of pudhina; but, tried with the above said qty becoz, I felt that adding too much of mint leaves will dominate the entire kuzhambu and if you want to enjoy the taste of the gravy, the above said proportion is just fine.

padmasini
12th July 2005, 09:19 PM
Tried ennai thakkali gravy the taste was wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

R
12th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Very nice to note that you loved this tomato gravy..You are most welcome..

Raathi
12th July 2005, 10:59 PM
You are very welcome R !

kavithasenthil
12th July 2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks Raathi and R.

gvb
13th July 2005, 12:09 AM
Hi R
When buying papayas shud i buy the green ones or yellow ones?I want to try atleast one papaya dish u had posted.Am not sure as to how it will taste thou..Will it be sweet?

GVB

R
13th July 2005, 12:24 AM
Raw Pappaya(pappali kai)-unriped and strong: is like other vegetables and the taste is more or less like green squash which is green in color.

Riped pappaya(pappali pazham) : This pappaya is orange with slight green in color is a fruit(if you press, will be soft) which is for eating directly or to make salads like other regular fruits; the inside color will be orange. you will know, anyways.

gvb
13th July 2005, 12:28 AM
Thank u R for clearing it up..I will buy it only next week and am a little bit hesitant to try.I will get the green papaya as u said.

GVB

gvb
13th July 2005, 07:28 PM
[tscii:efc5ad925d]Hi R
Made Arisi adai this morning and loved its taste..I do have a few questions about the process of making adai itself.See,either I accidentally pour more water and it comes out like dosa..Or I grind it coarsely where the rice will be like “kurunai” and my husband says its getting stuck when he is eating.Can u please tell me wats the right consistency and also shud the stove be on High while making?

Thanks,
GVB

[/tscii:efc5ad925d]

R
13th July 2005, 09:18 PM
Hi gvb,

Some people prefer the thick adai where some people prefer it to be thin like dosa; similarly, some people prefer to find the rice & dals while eating whereas, some people want them to be ground completely(not fine texture). It is between fine and coarse texture. Coarse means the grains we will find while eating, as you said. Fine means not like dosa. But, you cant find or see any grains while making or eating.

Abt adding water, cant say. Just how we add water for dosa, same thing. When you take batter in the karandi and pour on the tava, it will flow out easily without stucking. That is the consistency(porous). Even, after grinding, you can add water-mean before making adai.

Abt cooking-after spreading on the tava, keep on the high flame and you will see the color of the bottom side is turning brown or red; then, change into medium. After changing to the other side, keep the flame in medium.

Otherwise, the dals and rice will not get cooked which is one reason you will find while eating(that is why putting holes and adding more oil than the other tiffins).

I already mentioned that closing the tava will also fasten the cooking, but have to check every minute or less than that.

Hope I am clear here.

gvb
13th July 2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks R..I completely forgot about the hole we put in Adai.Its been a long time since i made it.I guess i will learn to grind properly only by trial and error method..Today my husband said its coming close!So may be next time!
And i'll defintely try the High flame an medium flame method.Thank u for ur inputs.

GVB

Seethab
14th July 2005, 03:10 AM
Hi R:

Tried Mochai rasam today. It turned out good. Thanks.

Seetha

R
14th July 2005, 05:46 AM
That was nice to note down yr msg..Seetha.

Thanks once again for trying.

Seethab
14th July 2005, 08:40 AM
Hi R and others:

I strongly feel that adai tastes good only after it ferments (has to pulichufy). Its good to grind in the morning and make adais in the evening. Its my taste and opinion.

thanks

Seetha

R
14th July 2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, seetha; I also tasted from the leftover's adai batter the next day and of course, it will be good.

You can even make kunukku(deep frying in oil) if the batter is little thicker from the leftover batter.

Thanks for reminding me.

Ramrish
14th July 2005, 06:23 PM
Hello everyone
I need a fool proof recipe for sago upma(with potato).Every tim ei make its either becomes sticky or it s not cooked properly
Thanks in advamce
ramya

gvb
14th July 2005, 07:13 PM
Hi R
Its Tomato Dosai this morning.The taste is absolutely great and my husband relished it!!.

Thanks,
GVB

Just made "Masala veggie Khichdi" and the taste is really good..But i do have one doubt..I used 1:4 ratio of rice and water and the consistency is kind of thick..Can u give me some idea of how the end result shud be?

R
15th July 2005, 02:52 AM
I am really glad to note down yr msg, gvb.

For kitchidi, the consistency will be like semi solid sambar sadham. Becoz, once it becomes cold, the rice mixture will become thicker.

If you see in the Gujarati restaurant, when they serve, it will go all over the plate; by the time, we finish(becoz of heat, will take time), the consistency will be right to eat(not too thick).

How much of dal did you add for a cup of rice ? Maybe, you can increase the qty of water.

For ven pongal or bisibelabath, I always add extra cup of water (1 to 2 cups of water than the usual cooking); if extra water is there, can cook on the stove after pressure cooking.

Hope you get my point.

gvb
15th July 2005, 04:15 AM
Hi R,
I took 1/2 cup of Dal.It wasn't at flowing consistency at first also.As u said it was like a semi solid sambar sadham..is that correct?
For bisibelabath,It will be in flowing consisteny at first but after a couple of hours it will thicken..do u know how to rectify that?

GVB

R
15th July 2005, 04:55 AM
Gvb, how was the texture? Was it soft?

In day today cooking, dont know how much you add water for a cup of rice. Accordingly, have to adjust. I pour 3 cups of water in day today cooking; hence, for the kitchidi or pongal, take approximately 4 1/2 to 5 cups of water so that, it will not be very thick even after 12 hrs. of time.

Transfer immediately to another vessel so that it will not get hard becoz of the vessel's heat which you cooked already which is one reason to become hard. More or less like payasam consistency after cooking.

At the worst case, you have to sprinkle some hot water, stir for some time on the stove which is the last option. If you follow this qty of water, definitely, that situation will not arise.

gvb
15th July 2005, 06:51 PM
I use 2 cups of water when i normally cook rice.I don't usually transfer it to another vessel ..I'll try it and also add some more water.Thanx for ur suggestions.Do bisibelabath stays the same at the end of the day for u ?

GVB

I forgot to tell u ..When i opened the cooker i cud still see the grains..It wasn't like Pongal..But the taste was really great..I gave some to my friend also.She liked it too. :)

R
15th July 2005, 07:55 PM
Could be lack of water or lesser soaking time or cooking time; if you fry in particulary which have mentioned it will come more softer than the normal cooking. Imagine that my 2 + yrs old daughter is also taking that kitchidi! That soft.

that is one of the reason, I always dry fry rice and dal even for ven pongal too.

It will not stay like that; at the same time, it will not very thick as you mentioned. However, you change the vessel, it will get thicker, but atleast, will take some time. Not as fast as you keep in the same vessel as u cooked.

The same kitchidi can be prepared with thoor dal too which is also a yummier one. Will post it later..

Point to note:

Not only for kitchidi, for any rice/dal mixture, if you see any grains, sprinkle some water say 1/2 or 1 cup of water depending on the status of the mixture, pressure cook for a whistle and sim for 10 to 15 mts. In this way, it will become soft. Even for pulav, this will work out which tried.

R
15th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Here a couple of recipes are coming from the collection of SUN...

Palak paneer:(Chef Dhanalakshmi's version):

Palak greens 2 bundles
onion 2
green chillies 4
paneer 200 g raw and cubical pieces
tomato 3
garlic 5 flakes
jeera 2 tsp
chilli powder 1/2 tsp
salt

Cook greens, jeera and green chillies with limited amt of salt and water.

Heat oil, add jeera, cut garlic flakes, onion and saute well. Once done, add chilli powder and cut tomato. When the tomato's raw smell goes off, add cut paneer(non-fried) and saute well till the paneer has got mixed up with the gravy mixture.

Now, back to greens-grind the cooked one and mix with the gravy mixture. Add little water and mix. check for salt too.

Since the greens has already cooked, dont have to cook again in the final stage. Just a couple of mts will do.

Points to note:

This version is really good which tried. But, importantly, in order to get the hotel color, have to be careful with the palak quantity. Otherwise, the proper color(orangish) will not come though the taste will be decent and will end up in pure green palak paneer.

R
15th July 2005, 08:30 PM
Before I introduce this recipe, a few points to all of you. Most of the people knows about this simple maida biscuit or we say beda or sweet shankerpalla. This is more or less like that except for it does not belongs to a sweet, but with extra savories.

When I made this at home, both of my kids had a competition in finishing; my daughter who loves sweet only was also participating with a full of interest. Enough of this..dig out the recipe..

Maida crisps:

Maida 1 cup
onion 2
red chilli powder 1 tsp
cashew 5
ginger a small bit
green chillies 2
baking soda 1/2 tsp
curry & coriander leaves
hot oil to mix with the flour 3 spoons
oil and salt

In a bowl, add everything together and also heat vanali with the oil. Once hot, take 3 spoons of oil and mix with the flour mixture.

While adding some water, be careful since the dough has to be little dry, not like pakoda dough texture; at the same time, not like chappathi dough either.

You can put directly small pieces from the dough into the oil; instead, applying this method will be better.

Take a big ball from the dough. Grease chappathi stone and rolling pin slightly with the spray. Put the dough on it, use rolling pin to flatten it into medium chappathi. Put vertical and horizontal lines with knife.

While pouring in the oil, take the pieces out and press it with yr thumb slightly and put the same. To get a crispier one, the maida crisps should occupy the oil completely. Let the flame be at high and in the middle, change into medium and take it out once the sound completely disappears.

Tastiest snack is ready.

padmasini
15th July 2005, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know how to make small white (butter) biscuits that we get in bakeries?

kavithasenthil
15th July 2005, 10:04 PM
yes..i too looking for butter biscuit and varuki(plain or ooty varuki) for long time.

Sowmya
15th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Hi R
Prepared "pudina kuzhambu" today.It is awesome.A must try recipe..
Arumai!
Keep up your great work.. and do post more interesting recipes.

Regards

Sowmya
15th July 2005, 10:26 PM
Hi padmasini,Kavitha
This recipe was posted by CI long back and I got the same from our friend Inimai.Here is the recipe you are looking for..

Benne biscuit:
Ingredients:
Maida - 200 gms
Butter or ghee - 100 gms
Powdered sugar - 100 gms
cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
nutmeg powder - 1/4 tsp
Fresh thick curds - 1 tsp
soda bi-carb - 1/4 tsp
saffron powdered - 1/4 tsp (if you put few strands, that is enough)
milk - 1 tsp (alternately u can dissolve strands of saffron in this milk and use it)

Method:

1. Sieve the flour.
2. Cream the ghee/butter and sugar very well until they are creamy.
3. Add the spice powders and cream again.
4. Dissolve the saffron in milk.
5. To the creamed mixture, add curds, soda bi-carb, and prepared saffron milk mixture. Mix well.
6. Add the flour and knead well. form small rounds with the dough.
8. Arrange on a greased baking sheet and bake in oven at 300 F for 25-30 minutes.

Note: These biscuits are not thin. They are sort of thick rounds which are depressed a little bit. If you want, you can sprinkle with nuts on the top and bake them too. Baking temperature may have to be altered depending on how thick you've made the biscuits. Also, do not keep the baking sheet on the bottom most rack in the oven.

padmasini
16th July 2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I was looking for this for a looooooooongggg time...

Thanks again!

R
16th July 2005, 12:05 AM
Hello Ramya,

I soak sago in water for 30 to 45 mts (1 inch above the sago level)and once it is soft, can start cooking with boiled potato and other seasoning etc.

An important point is after draining the water out, put all powders, salt etc. in the sago and mix with hands well and put the tava on the stove, stir. In this way, it will not get stick and come out separately. This point, I read somewhere recently(dont remember where) and also get good sago potato upma. Try keeping the flame in medium and cook the entire upma.

Try and let me know..bye..

R
16th July 2005, 12:06 AM
That was so encouraging to read, Sowmya.

thank you a lot..

gvb
16th July 2005, 12:55 AM
Thanx for ur detailed reply,R..Appreciate it..I will follow all the pointers next time..

GVB

MysoreHudugi
16th July 2005, 12:57 AM
Hi R,
I made this last night and it was good and different. One of the easier and delicious recipes when one doesn't have too much time to cook.
Thanks for the recipe.

CI.

MysoreHudugi
16th July 2005, 01:52 AM
Padmasini,
I got your message. Here is the conversion. It is approximate.
Benne biscuit:
Ingredients:
Maida - 200 gms - measure two cups after sifting the flour.
Butter or ghee - 100 gms - 7 TBS
Powdered sugar - 100 gms - 8 TBS
cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
nutmeg powder - 1/4 tsp
Fresh thick curds - 1 tsp
soda bi-carb - 1/4 tsp
saffron powdered - 1/4 tsp (if you put few strands, that is enough)
milk - 1 tsp (alternately u can dissolve strands of saffron in this milk and use it)

Hope it is helpful.

CI.

R
16th July 2005, 02:45 AM
Getting a compliment from you, CI!!! means a lot to me..

Thanks..

padmasini
16th July 2005, 06:54 AM
Thank you very much for the conversions. Will try it soon and send the feedback

Urmila
16th July 2005, 06:00 PM
Hello R,
Your recipe for Navdhaniya sundal is a super-hit in my home too ! I reduced the chillies a bit and is a fantastic munchy for my kids, no unhealthy frying and very very easy to make too. Thanks so much for sharing countless tips & recipes.

What is the appropriate side-dish for mixed rice like coconut rice, lemon rice, etc. other than chips, pappad ? And for the idiappams too [lemon, imli, plain etc. ] should they be eaten as it is or with something suitable ? Can you tell please ? And in yur latest contribution, should we add water to the lemons while pressure cooking them ?

Regarding the sathumavu, one doubt . My friend's daughter [4 yr.old] is allergic to milk, so how to give the kanji ? Can we make dosa or roti with this sathumavu or how else to incorporate in the child's meals ?
Your experience & valuable advise would help a lot,
Urmila.

R
17th July 2005, 05:41 AM
Hello Urmila,

Very glad to see yr msg. Where else you can find the happiness & satisfaction other than in sharing and helping people??

1) Anyways, coming to yr queries-in all marriages or any occasions, wherever they serve this mixed rice like coconut or lemon or tamarind rice, the usual accompaniment will be potato onion curry and avial.

Recently, have tried making this thiruvadhirai kootu with tamarind rice and liked it too which have already posted here. Basically, those rices are a dry dish; so, any vegetable gravy will go well. So, you can choose any of the above.

2) For plain idiappam, simple side dish will be mor kuzhambu and appalam or pappad; since you dont prefer pappad, can try even sothi (coconut milk dish). One of my colleague used to bring plain coconut milk mixed with sugar as a side dish for the plain Idiappam back in India. Or, you can try any veggie kurma which is a decent dish too.

And, recently, I was suggested vada curry by my cousin who is here in USA. Till she told, did not strike to me; later, felt that it is also a better combination since some people does not prefer coconut; for those, can go with this vada curry.

3) For the lemon pickle, pls dont add any water at all. As the lemon has water already, it will get cooked very easily. In fact, while cutting, some water will release out of the lemon and you can even add them to the lemon.

4) About sathu maavu, back at home, my parents use to cook in water and have it with buttermilk and salt; but, that is ok for adults. For kids, try to implement the following methods:

a) You can make like our regular rava dosa adding salt, seasoning in oil with mustard, pepper jeera powder, curry leaves and tiny pieces of onion(or grind onion, mix with the flour which gives a spl taste). I used to follow this method for making rava dosa.

b) Or, alongwith onion, add any keerai you want and knead like a dough. Pat on a plastic sheet and do like a thick dosa instead of a watery dosa. For additional taste/flavor, can add fried quarter cup of besan flour too(depending on the qty of ragi flour, adjust the level).

c) Abt roti, I am not sure. If it is atta flour, kids wont mind; but, with ragi, dont know how they will like it. But, you can give a try.

d) You can make sweet dosa by adding jaggery syrup and cardamom powder to the ragi flour.

e) You can even make thick adai with jaggery syrup; if she is not allergic to nuts, you can put tiny pieces of nuts like badham, cashew or pista alongwith cut dates. Mix well and pat it like a poli which is equally good.

f) you can also make urundai and give the kids every day; instead of adding sugar, making with jaggery is good for health. That is why, have been mentioning to use jaggery.

g) Same here-mix the jaggery syrup with the flour and make balls. Adding nuts or ghee is optional.

Hope I have answered all yr queries.

gvb
18th July 2005, 10:02 PM
[tscii:31b5ea7a2b]Hi R,
I made “Channa masala” yesterday and it turned out pretty good.It especially appealed to my husband since he liked the aroma of the spices used.This is a great recipe.Thanx.

GVB

[/tscii:31b5ea7a2b]

R
19th July 2005, 01:00 AM
Thank you for trying and happy to know that yr family loved it. Keep experimenting more..

Rgds.

Seethab
19th July 2005, 03:31 AM
Hi R:

Made tomato dosa and it wasnt red as I thought it would but the taste was good.I added 2 red ripe and healthy tomatoes for a cup of rice.

Also tried morkuzhambu with your inputs of adding half a tomato and mustard seeds. It was a different taste.

thanks

Seetha

R
19th July 2005, 03:47 AM
Hello Seetha,

It was a while ago since I prepared tomato dosa; so dont remember the rice qty except for 5 tomatoes in nos. I used, in the place of 10.

Though the color is not like blood red, but it was like reddish orange(could be, becoz of cooking on the tava) color; that I am so sure and remember very well.

FYI, prepared yesterday godhumai rava mixed with pudhina dosa and the color was not completely green since the other ingredients will also influence their color, guess.

thanks for trying, anyways..

Seethab
19th July 2005, 04:06 AM
Thanks R for your inputs!! Looks like you keep experimenting always!!

Seetha

R
19th July 2005, 07:08 PM
Hi friends,

Here is a recipe which is very famous and popular in Andhra region becoz of the excellent taste. One of my friend, who is from Hyderabad-she prepared this around 8 yrs back and I tried this at my home 3 yrs back for some guests. Unexpectedly, they are from Andhra too and we all felt very happy that we chose the right menu.

Since it is rich in fat content, you should be making this once in a while only!! The name is Double ka meeta and when I prepared at home, made some variations; so will differ from the authentic one, pls dont mind..

Double ka meeta:

White bread half of the loaf
Milk 5 cups
sugar 2 to 3 cups
ghee to fry
Cashew, raisins and badham each 1/4 cup
saffron 4 to 5 strings
cardamom powder 1 tsp

Cut each bread slices into two or four pieces and remove the crusts before you start cutting. Fry them in ghee till golden brown or otherwise, the bread will be get soggy when it is soaked in milk. Similarly, blanch almond and fry all the nuts and raisins in ghee. Keep aside.

Mix sugar with 2 cups of water and boil it for 15 mts. Add the powdered cardamom and the saffron dissolved in milk to the same.

Meanwhile, boil milk until it is thickened or atleast, one fourth of the qty should be reduced for the obvious reason.

Take a wide mouthed vessel, pour the boiled milk some and arrange the fried bread pieces on it; sprinkle the chopped nuts on them.

Pour the sugar syrup and the remaining milk alternatively over the bread pieces while they are still hot. You can even add the cut nuts now on the top. Either way, it will be good.

Refrigerate overnight and serve yr guests just after finishing yr lunch or dinner. No doubt, you will get lots of applauses and compliments from yr dear folks or friends.

Some points:

I was told by my friend that the original recipe has full cream milk(!), but made it with the full fat regular milk and the taste was so irresistible. You can add as much nuts as you want.

If you give atleast 5 to 6 hrs soaking time, then you will realize the taste. While serving, put 2 to 3 pieces of bread and the milk on it and around.

If you feel the sweetness is not enough, can prepare more syrup and pour it on the bread. So, keep a cup of boiled milk separately and check after 1 hr whether the sweet is enough or not. If everything is fine, mix the cup of milk with the bread mixture finally.

bhargavi.raj
19th July 2005, 08:15 PM
hey R,
This recipe looks mouthwatering. But have u heard of a recipe 'SHAHI TUKRE'? Its similar to this and its very very popular in the north. and it was first made during moghuls time when the chef ran out of everything expect bread and milk!!!!
well,also traditional euroupian breadpudding is similar to this,and they make lots of variations of the same like
caramel bread pudding
banana nut bread pudding
chocolate bread pudding and so on and on..
Thus thought of sharing this information with all of u.
Keep up ur good work!
Bhargavi.Raj

R
19th July 2005, 08:24 PM
Yes, of course, have heard about Shahi tukre though have not tried personally;also, came to know that double ka meeta is a one popular sweet to be served in muslim marriages.

Agree with you that most of the sweets are related to each other. Like you said, you can call bread pudding and similarly, payasam, payash or kheer, poli, puran poli, kesari, sooji halwa etc. (we can keep on going)-basic methods are same except for a few variations!!

thanks for sharing..

bhargavi.raj
19th July 2005, 08:51 PM
R,
Yes .When u said Puran Poli,It reminded me,have did u know about Dry fruit Puran Poli? My MIL makes it and its during some occasions they make. It is just heaven on a plate.
Bhargavi.Raj

Seethab
19th July 2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Bhargavi:
When are you posting the dry fruit poli recipe??? :(

Seetha

R
19th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Bhargavi,

Can you specify more abt the poli yr MIL makes or post the recipe becoz what I have heard about has all kinds of nuts, khoa etc. (name is koa poli or something), could not remember the name of the dish?

Thanks.

Seethab
19th July 2005, 10:22 PM
R:

I wanted to check with you before trying mysore pak.

You had mentioned about adding milk powder. Can you please give me the inputs so that I can try confidently. I am not too happy about 2 cups ghee but i guess you had given a solution too adding 1/2 cup oil, can i make it 1 cup oil? if so will the oil smell?

Pls clarify my doubts when you find time.

Thanks for your contd support!!

Seetha

Sowmya
19th July 2005, 11:24 PM
Hi R
Hearty Congratulations :clap:
Just now I noticed that you have posted more than 100 recipes so far.
century adichathula vazhthukkal. :thumbsup:
Keep up your excellent work.

Regards
Sowmya

bhargavi.raj
20th July 2005, 12:07 AM
congrats R,I am not keeping a count of number of recipes u have posted,but the number of hits you have given. Do keep up ur good work.

Ok herez my MIL'S recipe .This recipe is supposed to be very old and its my family recipe. Its very unique,rich and tasty and something new.

Dry Fruits Poli For the poli
Maida 2cups
ghee 2tsp
milk 1/4cup
warm water

Knead the above into a smooth dough,rest it for 15mins while u make the puranam.

Dry fruits Puranam
You will need
Raisins(black and golden mixed) 1cup
almonds (pref skin removed) 1/4cup
cashews 2tbsp
pista 1tsp
dessicated coconut or coconut powder 2tbsp
sugar 1/4cup(my mil used kalkandu,but u can use just plain sugar too)
nutmeg powder a pinch
saffron a few strands
elaichi powder 1/2tsp
milk 2tbsp

Method
In a mixie,first grind into a powder,sugar,cashews,pista,almonds,coconut powder ,saffron,elaichi and nutemeg together.Remove and set aside.now add the raisins and grind until it becomes sticky and chopped.add the almond mixture along with this and grind to get them mixed.
Now remove in a plate and add milk & mix everything with hand just to make sure that its very well mixed.Make it like a puranam.Excess puram can be stored in the fridge for upto a month.

To make the puran polis
Take a lemon sized dough,flatten it with ur hand until it forms like a puri,place 1/2tsp of puranam and close it to form a round again. now roll it into a poli .
heat tawa,cook on both sides first,and add ghee and cook till its got a good golden brown on both sides.
Make all the polis and serve hot drizzle some honey over it.

Enjoy!
Bhargavi.Raj

gvb
20th July 2005, 12:09 AM
Hi Sowmya,
Great that u pointed out R's century!!

Congragulations,R!!May u keep on showering us with ur priceless suggestions and mouth-watering recipes!!

GVB

Seethab
20th July 2005, 12:17 AM
Congrats R!!! Wonderful job! Keep it going!!!

Seetha

Seethab
20th July 2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks Bhargavi for the recipe! its def different!!

Seetha

R
20th July 2005, 01:57 AM
Sowmya, appreciate yr sharp observing power becoz I dont count by myself. Thanks..

Suganthi and Seetha, thank you guys too, but it is no big deal. Without all of you, is there anything can be done? So, credit goes to you too.

And, finally, bhargavi..appreciation from you is like vashitar vaayala..rest you fill it up!!

Abt the pooranam, yes, it is quite different and guess, easy to do. Becoz, dont have to worry about the excess of vellam and dont have to stir. If there is no vellam or dal, can proceed..Cant wait to try for my kids.

When we went to India last year, we had a function at home and one of the caterer was telling about this poli which is little similar to yrs.

Here it goes..cook sugarless koa, sugar, all dry nuts and coconut-(optl.) grind & stuff to make poli. I dont remember whether there is more ingredients to add or not.

Thanks for sharing very promptly.

Bhargavi, today, I am going to prepare navadhaniya adai for dinner.will let you know our opinion with variations soon...bye..

R
20th July 2005, 02:10 AM
Hello Seetha,

I have already mentioned that adding milk powder method-am yet to try. The ghee will be way too high-besan:ghee=250 g: 4 1/2(brace yrself).

Anyways, I am planning to try for some occasion not with this amt of ghee; but implementing milk powder method and then, will let you know.

But, you can follow the method which I posted without adding milk powder, ok. Abt adding oil, tried only one time, that too with half a cup of warm heated oil.

One of the hubber was telling that she added 1 cup of oil directly without heating and she felt little oily smell though the taste was good. So, not sure about adding 1 cup. 1/2 to 3/4 cup is safe.

FYI, recently, we had a party and a lady brought shop bought mysore pak. I could felt the oil smell very well and also all over my fingers, the oil stain was there. But, the color was great with lots of holes. The oil smell was not very odd at all. So, guess, if it is heated oil and a good brand, then, it should not be a problem at all.

Recommending 1 cup of oil-am not sure since dont have any idea. Pls dont forget to add the oil at first and then, adding ghee at the second stage so that the smell of ghee will be dominating the sweet which mentioned earlier.

Pls feel free if you have any more queries.

Seethab
20th July 2005, 02:48 AM
Thanks a ton R!! I shall def try and post the result.

Seetha