PDA

View Full Version : SUN TV & Other Recipe Collections

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

padmasini
20th July 2005, 05:28 AM
Hello Bhargavi,

Your recipe for dry fruit poli inspired me so much, I made it this evening. The taste was incredible and heavenly. Thanks for sharing your recipe..

Padma

R
20th July 2005, 06:31 AM
People those who like kathirikai rasvangi will definitely love this too. My grand mother makes this frequently.

Ashgourd (pooshanikai) rasvangi:

Ash gourd 2 cups (cut into small pieces as we do for kootu)
tamarind
salt, haldi
channa dal a handful

Fry in tsp of oil and grind:

dhania 2 tbsp
thoor dal and channa dal 1 tbsp each
red chillies 4 to 5

Seasoning:

oil, mustard, hing & fenugreek seed.

Do the seasoning and add water with vegetable. Cook till it is soft. If you already soak channa dal in water, then, you can put it alongwith the veggie. That much of cooking is fine for dal.

Once done, add the powder, salt, haldi & tamarind allow them to boil for few mts. Add 2 tbsp of rice flour mixed with quarter cup of water and pour into the gravy, allow it to boil. Will be thicker in a couple of mts or so.

Garnish with curry and coriander leaves.

bhargavi.raj
20th July 2005, 07:02 AM
Hello Padmasini,
That was great and quick.Thanks a ton.My Mil will be very happy to know that her grandmom's recipe is becoming famous!

Bhargavi.Raj

bhargavi.raj
20th July 2005, 07:06 AM
Hello R,Sowmya,
we must think abt a thread all abt Grandmoms recipes.These old way and method of quick cooking traditional delicious recipes are precious and when we make em here far away from our land,it reminds us not only abt them but makes us cosy and happy that they are always around us somewhere near blessing us and happy for us.

Let me know ur opinions too.
Bhargavi.Raj

Sowmya
20th July 2005, 07:17 AM
Hi bhargavi
That's a nice idea!In fact your post made me nostalgic.Thinking about it... there's LOTS I haven't learnt from my mom itself and definitely when we cook the traditional way we do get a sense of satisfaction which canot be described..It's a unique feeling.
I am determined.. when I go to India I am going to spend some time with my grandmom who is 85 and learn traditional recipes from her.

Regards
sowmya :D

Seethab
20th July 2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Bhargavi:

I am ready to join the grandma's recipes thread. I have a little one becoz of which I find it really tough to type but def will do a bit as its something very precious!!

Good luck to you, R and Sowmya!! Keep up the good work!!

Seetha

honeydew
20th July 2005, 07:54 AM
Hello R,
congrats for u reached century :thumbsup: i did only certain recipes given by you all great, will try other recipes and let u know . keep doing great work.

regds
honey

R
20th July 2005, 03:02 PM
That is a good idea, Bhargavi..For the last few years only, my interest have been developing more towards cooking; so, did not learn properly from my mother or MIL.

Whenever go to India, if she makes something, I am so surprised to see. Anyways, shall we start a new thread and proceed?

Thanks for the suggestion.

R
20th July 2005, 03:03 PM
That was so nice of you, honeydew and am so grateful to all of you.

Thanks.

R
20th July 2005, 03:11 PM
Hi friends,

Since Bhargavi has posted a different version for poli, I am thinking of asking everyone's different pooranam recipes here. Will post here soon whatever I know.

Meanwhile, pls do contribute the pooranams' recipes alone whenever you guys are free.

Thanks.

R
20th July 2005, 04:53 PM
To start with, coconut pooranam which we call with so many names like kalyana poli as it is an important dish, so no traditional people will miss the sweet.

For the dough, it is not a rule to use only with maida. You can even prepare with wheat flour or 50/50.

Thengai pooranam:

coconut, channa dal 1 cup each
vellam 1 1/4 cup
cardamom powder
cashew nut optl. 1 tbsp

Soak channa dal for 30 mts and cook. Drain water and grind with the other ingredients. If it is thick, dont have to cook on the stove; otherwise, have to stir for some time.

Instead of a long time cooking, when it is little thick, switch off and refrigerate them; the water will get absorbed in 1 hr. Then, can start making polis.

Variations:

If you dont want cashew, can substitute with til seeds which gives a special flavor always.

Instead of vellam, you can even add sugar or as usual 50/50.

Dont throw the water of cooked channa dal; can be prepared to make rasam. Cooked channa dal's water will always tastes great to make rasam which is my mother's suggestion.

R
20th July 2005, 04:56 PM
One of my Marathi friend makes puran poli this way.

channa dal 1 cup
vellam 1 cup
cardamom powder 1 tsp

Cook dal and grind with the other items without any water. Start preparing puran polis. There is no coconut here and hence, it will come for a longer time.

Alteration:

Instead of channa dal, one can prepare with thoor dal too or substitute in equal ratio. Though have not tried, but heard that this is called mangalore poli. Any idea, CI or anyone...

R
20th July 2005, 05:11 PM
Carrot poli:

grated carrot 1 cup
coconut grated 4 to 5 tbsp
cardamom powder 1 tsp
roasted gram flour(pottukadalai) 1/4 cup
ghee 3 tsp
sugar 3/4 cup to 1 cup

Heat ghee, add carrot and when it is half done, add coconut, cardamom powder & roasted gram with sugar. Stir them well till it is thick. Pooranam is ready.

Variations:

In the place of carrot, can substitute with pumpkin or take carrot 1/2 cup, yellow pumpkin 1/4 cup & beet 1/4 cup.

People those who love sweet potato, can also add a quarter portion. In that case, omit beet & carrot since sweet potato goes well with pumpkin only.

MysoreHudugi
20th July 2005, 05:13 PM
Hi R,
Congratulations. You certainly are a devoted hubber. I don't get time to try out all the recipes now. (You know the reason) I will certainly try them out and let you know the results.

I don't exactly know the recipe for mangalore poli. But there are some variations of poli in karnataka.

1. Pottukadalai poli.
Just powder the pottukadalai and mix it with required amount of powdered sugar and cardamom. Use a little ghee or warm milk to make balls of the pooranam and proceed as usual. This is a very light poli.

2. Sheera poli
Make sheera or kesari as you call in tamil nadu without adding nuts or raisins. Make the balls of these for poorananm. It tastes good but cannot be kept for long.

I will post other variations when I find time. There is one with ricotta cheese and nuts which is very yummy that I learnt from a gujarathi friend's mom.

More later,
CI.

R
20th July 2005, 05:15 PM
koa poli:

sweetless koa 1/2 cup
dry fruits like cashew, pista and badham 2 tbsp each
coconut 2 tbsp optl.
raisins optl.
sugar 1 cup or depends on yr sweetness.

Grate koa and remove the skins of the nuts. Grind all of them nicely and if it is not thick, as usual, cook on the stove till they are thick.

Variation:

In the place of sweetless koa, you can add sweet koa and omit sugar. Can even add milk powder in the place of koa, but have not tried personally.

R
20th July 2005, 05:16 PM
wow, CI you are really fast inspite of yr busy schedule.

You tempted me..but, find yr time and share us that yummy recipe.

Thanks n bye.

MysoreHudugi
20th July 2005, 06:04 PM
Hi R,
I checked the cookery book by Mallika Badrinath for Mangalore poli. It uses chana dal only. She has one more recipe which uses toor dal. I will post it if you want. I have not tried it though.

Ricotta cheese pooranam:

After reading all the previous posts, it is similar to your koa pooranam. Difference is the use of ricotta cheese and dry milk powder.

Ricotta cheese - 1 container
Sugar - measured in the same container
Butter - a small piece
Nuts powdered - measured in the container - 1 (I have added badam and pista in equal quantities)
non fat dry milk powder small packets - 4
cardamom

Melt butter in a non-stick pan and add ricotta cheese. Keep stirring till most of the water is evaporated. Add sugar and keep stirring till you get the ball consistency (almost pooranam consistency) add powdered nuts and mix well. Turn off the fire. After about 10 minutes or so, add milk powder, cardamom and mix well. You should be able to make balls without problem at this stage. If not put it in microwave and check every 2 minutes. (You can do the whole thing in microwave itself. It is much faster and you don't have to stir so often)

Make the poli as usual. I liked the filling so much that I have even stuffed karigadabu (don't know what it is called in places other than karnataka - I guess karjikayi or karanji, I am not sure) and deep fried it. It tastes very good. This recipe was not for poli at all. It was for making kachoris. I tried for poli since I did not want to make a deep fried dish that day and it came out very good.

Alterations: If you don't mind deep frying and no time to make kachori, fill it in spring roll sheet and make rolls and fry it. That comes out pretty good too.

CI.

Sowmya
20th July 2005, 06:07 PM
Wow.. a parade of poli poornam recipes.. Great!
I have a small tip to share.I learnt this from my aunt.

Add a pinch of kesari powder/food colour to the outer dough.It gives a beautiful colour to the poli.

R
20th July 2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks, sowmya for the tip.

And, CI, that is good to see yr recipe. Being here, it could be difficult to find koa for some people; those can substitute with ricotta cheese.

Thank you so much.

kavithasenthil
20th July 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi R,
Nice that u crossed 100. Congrats!

Lots of intrestings topics going on...don't have much time to spend :cry:

gvb
20th July 2005, 07:09 PM
Wow..Its so tempting to see so many poli recipes.
My Mil never stirs the poornam in the stove after grinding since she says it takes away some of the taste!I tried it myself once but i cudn't get thick poornam.

R or anybody,
How to make Jeera poli , Paal poli?

GVB

padmasini
20th July 2005, 07:43 PM
When making dry fruit poli try it with Kalkandu as mentioned by Bhargavi.. The kalkandu taste makes the difference I think..

R
20th July 2005, 10:00 PM
Thank you so much, Kavitha..No problem at all as long as you visit the thread and share yr ideas. Do try whenever you have time.

Bye.

R
20th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Suganthi, stirring or not stirring-it all depends on the vellam. If it is a soft vellam(paagu vellam), then, dont have any option other than stirring. If it is hard vellam, then it will not leave any water even after you grind with dal.

Also, adding coconut to the pooranam is one reason to leave some water. Stuffing raw pooranam or fried pooranam-both have their own unique tastes which is my opinion.

gvb
21st July 2005, 12:28 AM
Oh,Okay.R.I don't know the taste diff as i have never tried with raw poornam.

R
21st July 2005, 12:46 AM
Suganthi, abt jeera poli, have not heard abt it. Hope that Bhargavi can help in this regard.

Paal poli:

Maida 1 cup
rava 1/4 cup
sugar 2 cups
saffron 1 tsp or any food color
salt a pinch
milk 1/2 litre
cardamom powder 1 tsp

Boil milk and add sugar, cardamom powder with saffron, mix well. Keep them in sim.

Prepare dough out of the flour, salt , rava, oil & enough water. Let it be little stiffer one. Keep aside.

After 30 mts, make small size of pooris from the dough. Either you can directly fry in the oil or fold it and fry in the oil. If you dont prefer the bigger size, cut them into two halves and fry in oil. Drain the oil well and soak in the milk.

Now, transfer the milk into a wide vessel and then, put the puris. Allow them to rest for a while. Then, serve the soaked puris in a tray and put the remaining boiled milk on top. Garnishing nuts is optional.

The longer it soaks in milk, the better taste you will get.

---------------------

Ellu(til) poli:

White sesame 1/2 cup
jaggery grated 3/4 cup
cardamom powder 1 tsp
sukku 1/2 tsp
nutmeg powder 1/4 tsp
maida or wheat flour 1 cup
oil

Rub in oil in flour with a pinch of salt and make a soft dough. It should be shiny on seeing depending on that measure the oil qty.

Cover with a wet cloth. Dry fry the til seeds on low flame, and when it starts spluttering, pound or grind it coarsely. Add jaggery and grind to a smooth mixture. Mix with all the remaining powders.

Divide the maida dough into small balls. Take a ball and stuff with sesame seed mixture. Close the ball completely and dust into the flour. Start making polis with a rolling pin thickly.

Take a pan and apply ghee or oil around the polis.

Generally, polis will come for atleast 2 to 3 days; since there is no coconut or dal, this poli will come for a week!!

--------------------------

gvb
21st July 2005, 01:09 AM
Wow..Thank u sooooo much,R..Its clearly been a long time since i had it and now my mouth is watering for its taste!!I will try it real soon and let u know.What do u mean by "Fold and fry in oil" i don't understand!?

Thanx again,
Gvb

My Mom had made Jeera poli for this aadi ..Maybe i will ask her when i talk to her next time.

di
21st July 2005, 01:43 AM
hi R,
congrats on the century!

R
21st July 2005, 06:08 AM
Thank you, di..

R
21st July 2005, 06:12 AM
Suganthi, instead of the full circle poori, I mentioned that you can make a semi circle by folding(if you are interested) and fry in oil. Otherwise, can fry the whole poori as it is in oil or cut into two halves separately (2 semicircles you will get) and fry in oil which is easier to fry and soak in milk.

Hope I am clear.

kavithasenthil
21st July 2005, 07:37 PM
Hello Sowmya,R and others,
Here is my first recipe from our region. Since lot of adai recipes are floating, planed to post this first.

1.Adai

Ingredients:

Parboiled Rice 1 cup
Thoor dhal 1/2 cup
Channa dhal 1/2 cup
Jeera 1 tea spoon
Ginger 1/2 inch
Red chilli 2 (add more if you want hot)

Soak the above except jeera and ginger for 3 hrs. Grind into corse to smooth paste with jeera,ginger and required salt.
Make the batter thin or thick according to ur taste.

thalika:

Mustard 1/2 ts
urad-1 ts
Chana 1 ts
curry leaves 1 spring
Finely choped onion 1/4 cup

In little oil add mustard,dhals,curry leaves and onion. Fry till onion becomes transulent.
Let it cool a little and add to the ground mixture. Make thin or thick adai.
Have with coconut chutney or thakali vathakiyadhu.

Coconut chutney:

Grated coconut 6 Table spoon
Pottu kadalai 2 TB spoon
corriander leaves 1 TB spoon
Garlic clove 1/4 to 1/2

Grind the above with little water.

Tampering:

Mustard 1/2 ts
urad 1/2 ts
Chana 1/2 ts
Curry leaves 1/2 spring.

In oil tamper the ingredients and mix with chutney.

I know lot of u know coconut chutney. thought of sharing our version. The color will be little green since we add corriander leaves.

Will post more recipes when i find time to type(don't know type writing )

Sowmya
21st July 2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Kavitha
Good start.. keep up your good work.Looking forward to more and more recipes from you.. :D

Regards
Sowmya

tastemakers
21st July 2005, 11:17 PM
Here is a recipe for

Pesarattu

Moong Dal ( split Mung Beans) 2 cups
Raw Rice 1/4 cup soaked along with moong dhal 1 hour
Green chillies, chopped to taste
Asafoetida powder L tsp
Salt 1 tsp or to taste
Coriander leaves chopped
Onions 1 chopped fine
Oil for pan frying

Method
1. Drain daal mixture and grind coarsely.
2. Mix in the chillies, salt, coriander leaves and onions and enough batter to make a dropping consistency.
3. Make medium thick dosa

Serve with ginger chutney

Ginger chutney

2 cups ginger-shredded fine
1 cup jaggery
1 tbsp salt to taste
1 lemon sized tamarind
1 tbsp chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp asafoetida powder

METHOD

Mix all the ingredients and cook over high heat.

When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for a minute or so.

Store in a clean jar.

I think a lot of you would have known this recipe , but for those who dont dont know, try this.

Priya

R
21st July 2005, 11:41 PM
Kavitha, Good to see yr recipe and do contribute more as and when you find time.

Bye.

gvb
21st July 2005, 11:57 PM
Hi R,
Thanks for clarifying that for me.

R
22nd July 2005, 03:07 AM
This week's recipe of Mrs.Revathy..

Moondrukai thokku:

Sour mango vegetable grated 2 cups
carrot grated 1/2 cup
raddish grated 1/2 cup
red chilli powder 1 tsp
haldi little
hing 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seed powder 1 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
oil and salt.

Dry roast fenugreek seed till golden in color and powder finely. Heat oil, add mustard and when it splutters add raddish saute till it is soft. Add mango, carrot and cook in a medium fire. Add haldi, hing with salt.

Once they are all cooked add red chili powder and fenugreek powder, mix well.

My variations:

Since fenugreek powder is readily available, dont have to fry and powder seeds.

If you are healthy conscious, you can make it like our regular curry. Actually, added 2 tbsp of oil, but it absorbed more and more oil. Instead of adding more oil, just stored in a bottle when cold. Becoz of the sourness, the taste is really good as a stuffing for roti with a dal and curd rice too.

R
22nd July 2005, 03:14 AM
Punjabi channa:

Kabuli channa 1 cup
cut onion 2 (tiny pieces)
tomato puree 1/2 cup
jeera powder 1 tsp
ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
channa masala powder 1 tsp
red chilli powder 2 tsp
dhania powder 1 tsp
salt and oil.

Heat oil, onion, salt and saute well. Add paste with all powders except channa masala powder and mix well. Add puree and stir well. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.

Let it cool down and open the cooker add uncooked channa, stir well. Add more salt, coriander/curry leaves, garam masala powder with enough water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.

Points to note:

The onion color should change completely into brown which makes difference from the other channa masala in taste.

After adding powders, paste, one should stir well till the raw smell goes off completely.

Pressure cooking tomato puree mixture is one of the reason to disappear the raw smell easily.

gv
22nd July 2005, 04:45 AM
Hi R,
in the kabuli channa recipe , u posted today. should the channa be cuncooked or cooked . if its cooked, will it not be mashed if u
cook again in cooker.
if its uncooked, should we just soak for 8hrs as normal?

thanks
GV

R
22nd July 2005, 03:51 PM
Hello gv,

The channa should not be cooked(uncooked).

And soaking time, do it overnight in the normal water or put the channa directly when the water is boiling on the stove well; switch off the fire and close it with a lid. The channa will be ready in 5 to 6 hrs to cook!

Hope I am clear.

gvb
23rd July 2005, 01:40 AM
[tscii:ddd949da6b]Hi R
I made “1-2-3 uthappam” and also “maida crisps” yesterday..Both came out too good and tasty.

GVB

[/tscii:ddd949da6b]

R
25th July 2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks so much, gvb for trying..

gvb
27th July 2005, 12:00 AM
[tscii:409e1c4946]
Hi R
Made “Roasted gram usili” with carrots and it tasted fabulous.It sure is a great recipe.

Thanx,
GVB
[/tscii:409e1c4946]

R
27th July 2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input, suganthi.

Raathi
27th July 2005, 07:13 PM
Hello R,
I tried your kerala sambar and pressure cooker lime pickle,both of them tasted good.
Thanks for the nice recipes R!

R
27th July 2005, 09:28 PM
Appreciate yr feed back, Raathi and you are most welcome to try more!!

R
27th July 2005, 09:29 PM
Just for everyone's info., & reference, I would like to inform that I include one more variety in poli called til(sesame poli).

Thanks.

R
27th July 2005, 09:44 PM
This week, I am managing to post some puris recipes from the magazines and it was already tested by me, FYI.

Instead of making normal puris, if we make some modifications, everyone will take it and also add some healthy ingredients, the oil will not affect that much. Anyways...

Tomato puri:

Wheat flour 1 cup
tomato puree 1/2 cup
chilli powder 1/2 tsp
salt
water

Mix the dough with other ingredients and do it just like we make for usual puris. But, instead of water, add puree; leave it for 30 mts. Now, start making red color puris.
===================

Methi or spinach puris:

Just follow the above method. Instead of tomato puree, add this boiled greens. You can add spinach or methi separately or together. Either way, it will be great.

Some people does not want to find the greens while enjoying puris. In that case, cook the greens separately and use the drained water.

Green puri is ready.
=======================

Beet puri

Just follow the above method. Grinding beet and getting water is difficult. So, cook beet with water and save the water separately. Mix it with flour and pink color is ready to eat!

====================

For spicier version, you can add the following:

saunf(sombu) 1/2 tsp
jeera 1/2 tsp
coriander leaves 1 tbsp

Mix the above all with the flour and mix the juice whichever you want to, proceed.

=======================

R
27th July 2005, 09:48 PM
Yellow puri:

Add 2 tsp of haldi with boiled and filtered jeera or ajwain water and prepare the dough as usual.

Healthy yellow puri is ready. When comes to haldi alone with puri, the taste will not be very catchy. Atleast, jeera or ajwain's smell will tempt you to take more.
================

Cheese puri:

Have already mentioned about cheese chappathi in Baby's food thread. For kids, you can serve this very well. Mix the grated cheese with the flour and knead. Proceed.

Similarly, in the place of cheese, add paneer and do. Paneer puri is ready.

===============

For everyone's information, have already posted a recipe called Rice puri with a variation. Instead of rice flour, have to add wheat flour and proceed.

Instead of plain water, boil the water with methi seeds and jeera until the boiling point is reached. Filter the water and mix with the dough. Indeed, it is a healthy puri.
=================

R
27th July 2005, 09:56 PM
Tri color puri:

This one tried at my friend's place and forgot what she said about the recipe. Today, atlast found by myself. Among the kids, it was a big hit just becoz of the color.

Split three portions of the flour and add any colors you want to. Like, today, I prepared plain wheat flour, flour with haldi and flour with beet juice.

Knead them and keep them separately. Now, take a tiny size of balls from each. Important point is that the size should be even, otherwise, the color size will not come uniformly. Make a stiff balls without any break.

Dust it in the flour and roll it as usual with a pin. Now, you will see the three color in a SINGLE puri.

Try and let me know..

==========

Guess, today, this is enough. Will come up with a couple of more puri varieties soon. Meanwhile, if anyone has any interesting version of puris, you are welcome to post the same.

Seethab
28th July 2005, 12:33 AM
Wow R!! You are really good!! I always have this feeling that pooris are always unhealthy becoz of the oil but you have helped me look at it from a diff angle.

Tried arisi adai and beans roated gram usli. It was yumm!!

thanks

Seetha

gvb
28th July 2005, 12:46 AM
Great to see so many puri varieties,R.Since i make them once in a week i wud love to try it one by one.
Can u tell me wat do u mean by filtered jeera/Ajwain?.

GVB

R
28th July 2005, 12:58 AM
gvb, I understood about yr pattern. But, I make them once in a month!!

Anyways, take half a cup of water, add jeera or omam with methi seeds(limited qty) and let them boil for some time; now, the essence will stay in the water(color will change). Now, filter the water and mix this water for kneading instead of plain water.

You can use different variation like adding a small piece of ginger with hing while boiling the water. Atleast, these ingredients will protect our body from oil to some extent.

Some people makes omam puri which you can put directly omam.

R
28th July 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks, seetha for yr trying and posting yr input.

R
28th July 2005, 04:57 PM
Here comes a couple of tested recipes from SUN'S contribution..

Moong dal idly:

Moong dal 4 cups
urad dal 1 cup
grated 1/2 cup
green chillies 2
curry leaves, hing
mustard 1 tsp

Soak dals separately. Grind together nicely(mixie is enough). Add salt and ferment for 2 to 3 hrs. Since there is no rice, it will get fermented easily.

Meanwhile, heat oil, add mustard, curry leaves, chillies, hing and when it splutters, add vegetables with salt. Saute till it is half cooked. Let it cool down. Then, mix this with the batter.

Mix well and start making idlis. Steaming time is just 5 mts.

Goes with hot chutney.

My opinion:

I took 1 : 1/4 of moong dal and urad dal becoz making with dals, one cant get tempted to eat more like our regular idly. those who are dieting, it is a good change since there is no rice at all.

Actually, made a sambar and after the preparation, realized that should have made hot chutney becoz, the batter is mildly sour; hence the taste will be plain. If want, add some pepper or red chillies(2) for a mild hot taste so that it will go with any sambar too.

It is an ideal tiffin for all age group particularly those who dont love spices. After cold, it will turn out little hard to take.

Instead of carrots, can add any veggies, you like.

R
28th July 2005, 05:17 PM
This is Mrs.Revathy's recipe..

Spinach parata:

Spinach 1 cup
wheat flour 2 cups
besan 1/2 cup
green chilli paste 1 tsp
milk 1/2 cup
sugar 1 tsp
ginger garlic paste 1/2 tsp
ghee or oil
salt

Mix all with water except ghee/oil to make dough. Make like regular rotis; fold the circle into a semi circle. Again fold it like a triangle or after making semi circle, take both of the edges and join at the center so that it will form as a triangle.

Now, roll till you get a big triangular roti. cook finally just like we do.

Optional:

For extra flavor, in between the folds, can apply little bit of oil or ghee.

gvb
28th July 2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for ur xplanation,R.

GVB

gv
28th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks R for the reply abt channa .

I made ennai thakkali gravy , the end product looked like tomato kurma
is this how it supposed to look or it would be more oily

Thanks in advance
GV

gv
29th July 2005, 01:50 AM
R one more question
I tasted the ennai thakkali gravy. I think I added more pepper in it. its so hot(kaaram). can u tell me how to reduce it.bcos my husband doesnt it.
THank you so much
GV

R
29th July 2005, 02:16 AM
gv, to reduce pepper kaaram, guess, it is a bit difficult; still if the gravy is not very sour, try adding lemon juice.

For vathal kuzhambu, we use to add nallennai becoz, a hope that it will take the kaaram out. Try one and if it does not work out, try the nallennai.

Since did not add too much of oil to the gravy(though the name is ennai), it came out like a thin tomato gravy and could not see the oil floating in my gravy. Of course, the smell will be more or less like kurma(not the texture) becoz basic ingredients are little similar for these kinds of gravies or kurmas.

Let me know about the kaaram after you try..

Urmila
29th July 2005, 10:44 AM
Hello R,
Thanks for your immediate response. My friend was happy & tried making sathumavu dosa but it was sticking to the pan, not coming like regular crisp dosas. She then added some besan, then it came without sticking but not thin, it was a thicker dosa. Is this how it will be ?

Ramrish
29th July 2005, 11:37 AM
Dear R,
I tried out sago upma...But it turned out to be a disaster.If u dont mind can u send me the recipe.
TIA
Ramya

Hello Ramya,

I soak sago in water for 30 to 45 mts (1 inch above the sago level)and once it is soft, can start cooking with boiled potato and other seasoning etc.

An important point is after draining the water out, put all powders, salt etc. in the sago and mix with hands well and put the tava on the stove, stir. In this way, it will not get stick and come out separately. This point, I read somewhere recently(dont remember where) and also get good sago potato upma. Try keeping the flame in medium and cook the entire upma.

Try and let me know..bye..

R
29th July 2005, 02:53 PM
Urmila, even yesterday, for my daughter, made this dosa just for a change and it was totally fine. Made like rava crispy dosa without adding any flour.

The only reason could be the ratio she has mixed to make this sathu maavu. Or, ask her to keep the flame in high until the dosa gets cooked and change the flame into medium which is another possibility. Final chance is to make the batter well dilute. In this way, it should not go wrong, my hope!

Read that for making plain ragi dosa, can add rice flour; like for a cup of ragi flour, take 2 fistfulls of rice flour. But, here it is not necessary; though have tried and the texture will be softer than the plain version. But, it also came out nicely.

Abt besan, have not tried. My mother-she tried this version, but, she used to add fried besan which I mentioned in those points.

Hope this helps..

Kz
29th July 2005, 10:47 PM
Hi Gv,
U can try adding little milk or cream to the gravy if karam is too much.
especially for chicken gravy if i add too much pepper adding milk/ cream helps and also increases the taste.

Can also try adding little coconut paste, to the gravy and boil it or add more water if the gravy is thick it will help to lessen the spicyness.

R, i tried palak paneer gravy ( chef dhanalakshmi's version) it was good. a break from chopping greens, boiling and grinding them was much easy for me. thankyou!
I made some alterations such as grinding the tomato and garlic,onions too instead of chopping them, that way it was more gravy and tasty.

Kz

gv
30th July 2005, 01:41 AM
hi r
thanks for the suggestion to reduce the kaaram in ennai thakkali. i did add some nallenai and boiled for 2 mins. it reduced the kaaram to a certainextent. today for the remaining gravy, i cut some brinjal saute in oil and added it . it was really good and it took out some kaaram fully. next time i should be careful in adding pepper.
anyways, thanks for a nice recipe. mine dint come out as thin as u said, it came like the normal thickish north indian gravy. anyway w/o any fatty ingredients it looks very rich.

hi kz,
thanks for your suggestions. i saw ur suggestion only today . so cudnt try the options. but i will defintely keep in mind, if in some dish spiceness goes up

Thanks
GV

R
1st August 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi gv,

Thanks for letting me know..the reason is that I reduced all the ingredients than what I mentioned or what they said, so, got a thin gravy.

Bye.

R
1st August 2005, 10:41 PM
Kz, glad to note down yr msg..

R
1st August 2005, 11:09 PM
Hello Ramya,

I dont know which sago you are buying. For upma, better this small sago pure white in color becoz you can cook sago upma quickly; whereas the transparent sago is for putting vadam and the soaking time will be long like overnight.

Sago upma:

small size white sago 1 cup
peanut 1/2 cup
red chilli powder 1 tsp
haldi 1/2 tsp
salt

Seasoning: oil, mustard, urad dal & curry leaves.

vegetables optl. I use to prefer chopped palak keerai.

Soak sago in water for 1 to 2 hrs. In between, check whether it has become soft or not; if not soft, let it soak for some time. Try by chewing or pressing one of the grain.

Pour the water just to dip in sago. It will absorb the water within an hr or lesser than that. Then, add more, if want. The reason we are doing like this is not to get oversoft. By experience, will come to know the water qty.

Drain water from the sago once it is soft. With yr tip of the hands, mix well so that it will not stick with each other. Pour 1 tsp of rice flour in order to stay apart even after stirring. Keep aside for 30 mts.

Now, do the seasoning. Add drained sago with salt, chilli powder, haldi, powdered or full peanut, coriander & curry leaves; keep the fire in medium to sim. Keep stirring. Once the raw smell disappears, switch off the fire.

Point to remember: You can even spray in non stick vessel (non stick is better)or vanali so that the sago will not stick that much.

If you dont have spray, after adding seasoning oil, just shake the vanali so that the oil will spread all over the vessel. If you follow all these points, surely, no problem will arise.

Take a thin spatula for stirring so that the grain will not break. Or, in the beginning, stir with the spatula for a couple of mts; after that, use the spatula's back since again, the same reason(will not break).
------------------------------------

Ramrish
2nd August 2005, 11:08 AM
Thanx SSo much R for u'r recipe..
wILL SURELY TRY OUT AND LET U KNOW.
cHEERS
rAMYA

Hello Ramya,

I dont know which sago you are buying. For upma, better this small sago pure white in color becoz you can cook sago upma quickly; whereas the transparent sago is for putting vadam and the soaking time will be long like overnight.

Sago upma:

small size white sago 1 cup
peanut 1/2 cup
red chilli powder 1 tsp
haldi 1/2 tsp
salt

Seasoning: oil, mustard, urad dal & curry leaves.

vegetables optl. I use to prefer chopped palak keerai.

Soak sago in water for 1 to 2 hrs. In between, check whether it has become soft or not; if not soft, let it soak for some time. Try by chewing or pressing one of the grain.

Pour the water just to dip in sago. It will absorb the water within an hr or lesser than that. Then, add more, if want. The reason we are doing like this is not to get oversoft. By experience, will come to know the water qty.

Drain water from the sago once it is soft. With yr tip of the hands, mix well so that it will not stick with each other. Pour 1 tsp of rice flour in order to stay apart even after stirring. Keep aside for 30 mts.

Now, do the seasoning. Add drained sago with salt, chilli powder, haldi, powdered or full peanut, coriander & curry leaves; keep the fire in medium to sim. Keep stirring. Once the raw smell disappears, switch off the fire.

Point to remember: You can even spray in non stick vessel (non stick is better)or vanali so that the sago will not stick that much.

If you dont have spray, after adding seasoning oil, just shake the vanali so that the oil will spread all over the vessel. If you follow all these points, surely, no problem will arise.

Take a thin spatula for stirring so that the grain will not break. Or, in the beginning, stir with the spatula for a couple of mts; after that, use the spatula's back since again, the same reason(will not break).
------------------------------------

Ramrish
2nd August 2005, 11:14 AM
Hello All,
Im really very impressed abt the instant responses.THanx sooooo much..
One more query..Can anyone send me recipes which can be made with cocoa powder,,cuz i have a packet of leftover cocoa powder.Dont know what to do..Im putting it daily in milk and having choc milk..But i wud really appreciate if someone suggests some sweet recipes..I dont have a baking oven ...so pls dont post cake recipes.
Thanx in advance
Ramya

R
2nd August 2005, 02:55 PM
Hello Ramya,

There is a recipe which I learnt from my neighbour called milk chocolate which contains milk powder in majority like a cup and cocoa powder has only 4 tsp. If you are interested, will let you know.

Or, have you seen this cut chocolates recipe in SUN TV where they used cocoa powder 1/2 cup with besan flour etc. Tried this and it was quite decent(basically, I dont like cocoa flavor). But, my kids enjoyed it.

Rgds.

R
2nd August 2005, 03:00 PM
This week's contribution(experimented) from SUN..

Mysore vegetable curry:

Onion 3
vegetables mixed 1/2 kilo
beaten curd 3/4 cup
coconut paste 1/2 cup
ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
saunf 1/2 tsp
cinnamon, cardamom a little
chilli powder 2 tsp
cloves 1
haldi 1/2 tsp & green chillies 1
salt

Heat oil, add all the raw spices saute for a mt. Put onion, ginger garlic paste and stir till the raw smell disappears. Add chilli powder with curd, green chillies & coconut paste. Boil for some time.

Once it boils well, add cooked vegetables with enough of salt and water. Boil for some more time and garnish with as usual leaves.

My variation:

Instead of coconut paste, obviously, added 2 tbsp of coconut milk; And, though you have coconut & curd, the gravy is not becoming thick easily; so, added 1 tsp of besan flour which makes it very thick and the taste is also quite different. Otherwise, it will be like a different version of avial!!

R
2nd August 2005, 03:10 PM
Garbanzo beans(a snack):

chick peas 1 cup
onion 4 small in size
tomato 1 cup
pine apple 1 cup
carrot 1/2 cup
cucumber 1/4 cup
capsicum 1/4 cup
sugar 1 tsp
vinegar 1 tbsp
pepper powder 1 tsp
oil & salt.

Heat oil, add cut garlic(1 flake), saute for a min. Meanwhile, cut onion & tomato into small pieces and the other vegetables into the finger size.

Saute half of the onion to the heated oil well till it is transparent. Put tomato fry for a couple of mts. Add chick peas with enough of water. Pressure cook.

At the same time, heat oil in a different vessel; add the veggies with remaining onion & vinegar, marinate for 5 mts. Add pepper powder, salt & sugar mix well and keep aside.

Now, take the cooked channa out, transfer to some different vessel. Add enough amt of salt, pepper powder, mix well. Pour pine apple pieces and the marinated vegetables to the mixture without vinegar, mix well and serve.

What I did was completely omitted vinegar. Instead, can squeeze lemon juice. If you dont have pine apple, ignore and proceed. Same with sugar.

gvb
3rd August 2005, 12:41 AM
Hi R,
Made "Yellow puri" over the weekend and it was a great change from the ordinary.
Thanks a lot,
GVB

R
4th August 2005, 02:29 PM
You are welcome, gvb.

R
4th August 2005, 02:38 PM
Here is a simple sweet called coconut carrot burfi:

For coconut burfi:

coconut grated 1 cup
milk 1 cup
sugar 3/4 to 1 cup

Now, for carrot burfi...

carrot grated 1 cup
milk 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup
sugar 1/2 cup

Heat a vanali add the mixture of coconut, milk and sugar. Keep stirring until it becomes very thick. For the sweetness, 3/4 cup is enough; but, if it comes out separately, have to add the remaining 1/4 cup(3/4 plus 1/4). Final result will come like a ball in the center which is the right time to pour onto the greased plate. Dont disturb it for some time.

Wash the vanali and heat the same. Add 2 tsp of ghee with carrot, saute them for 2 or 3 mts. Pour 1/2 cup of milk and when it all absorbed, check whether the carrot is cooked or not. If not, add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and stirring. It will be done before the milk got absorbed. Wait till the carrot absorbs all milk. Now, time to pour sugar.

Keep stirring till it forms like a ball in the center just like with coconut burfi. Once the ball is formed, pour the mixture on top of the coconut burfi and level it accordingly so that they both should be equal in size. When it is cold, cut down together.

Now, you get a 2 in 1 sweet with double colors and double taste. This is such a nice sweet where the kids will enjoy and also no ghee in it. Adding ghee or caradamom powder and nuts is upto you.

You can put carrot mixture at the bottom, and pour the coconut burfi on the top which will give the same taste.

R
4th August 2005, 02:45 PM
Rice cucumber thenkuzhal:

Rice flour sieved 1 cup
hot oil 2 tsp
salt to taste
omam or jeera or cleaned sesame seeds 1 tsp

Grind cucumber without seeds and green chillies well and extract the juice alone.

If you dont have time to do all those things, while cooking cucumber for kootu or making salad, filter, save the water and use it.

Similarly, for green chillies, instead of grinding, slit and put it in the cucumber water and let them boil well so that the hot taste will stay on the water from the chillies. Now, it is ready to knead the flour dough with all other ingredients.

This is for ordinary or mullu thenkuzhal with single hole. Stuff some dough into the mould and start pressing it directly to the hot oil. Adjust the fire high to medium. When it is red in color, take them out and keep on the tissue paper.

Tips:

Instead of pouring in the hot oil directly, you can put a 4 or 5 circular spirals on the ziploc covers and transfer it (using yr hands or any thin spatula) to the oil. Now, small thenkuzhal is ready to eat.

While pouring on the oil from the mould, if it starts coming out separately, add 1/4 cup of flour. When oil is more, it will happen, which is for yr info.,

Ramrish
4th August 2005, 03:47 PM
dear R
I followed u'r step by step procedure fro sago upma and came out well..Thank u soooo much.
Ive not heard abt either of the recipes.So can u ppls send me both
TIA
Ramya

Hello Ramya,

There is a recipe which I learnt from my neighbour called milk chocolate which contains milk powder in majority like a cup and cocoa powder has only 4 tsp. If you are interested, will let you know.

Or, have you seen this cut chocolates recipe in SUN TV where they used cocoa powder 1/2 cup with besan flour etc. Tried this and it was quite decent(basically, I dont like cocoa flavor). But, my kids enjoyed it.

Rgds.

Sowmya
4th August 2005, 04:07 PM
Hi R
Can you please post the recipes for milk chocolate cake and cut chocolate ?Got tempted seeing Ramya's request. :lol:
Thanks in advance..
Regards
Sowmya :D

gvb
4th August 2005, 08:51 PM
Hi R
For the Garbanzo beans, is Overnight soaking req for the channa?
Chickpeas is black channa right?Please let me know.

GVB

R
5th August 2005, 12:05 AM
Acutally, it was made with white channa though you may substitute with black channa too(tastewise, white channa will be better).

If you put the channa in boiling water and close the lid, then, it will be ready to cook in another 4 to 5 hrs. Otherwise, can soak overnight and do in the morning.

R
5th August 2005, 12:06 AM
Hello Ramya & sowmya,

Will get back to you soon with the said recipes.

And, ramya thanks for trying...

Rgds.

gvb
5th August 2005, 12:29 AM
Thanx R..I wanted to try it today..Since there is not enuf time i will try it tomm..

GVB

deviraja
7th August 2005, 03:34 AM
HI can anybody send me the recipe collections of chef damodaran?
Thanks
Deviraja

R
9th August 2005, 04:36 PM
Here is the recipe for

Cut chocolates:

Besan flour 1 cup
sugar 4 cups
ghee 1 cup
cocoa powder 1/2 cup
milk 1 cup

Add besan flour, cocoa, sugar to a vessel and mix well with hand. Pour milk and melted ghee and now, switch on the stove. Stir them evenly.

Grease ghee on a tray and when it comes like a mysore pak i.e. moving away from the edges and forms like a ball, remove and pour it on the tray. When cold, cut into pieces.

Some tips:

Before adding ghee to the mixture, stir by laddle well to make sure that the sugar dissolves atleast 3/4th. Becoz, when I made this sweet, just followed what they said and finally, felt some sugar in mouth.

You will find a different brown color and that is the sign of final stage.

You can give a break while stirring, but after bubbles has started coming, keep on stirring without any break.

The right consistency to find out is at the sides and on the center, lots of kind of white bubbles will come. And, if you stir on the sides, it will come without sticking to the vessel(similar to mysore pak) and so many bubbles will start coming than the initial stage.

Or, simply follow what I told for making mysore pak. Try to make a ball from the gravy and when it forms like a ball, wait for 2 to 3 mts and switch off the gas.

================

will post couple of more chocolates recipes shortly.

R
9th August 2005, 04:49 PM
Just an information to everyone-tried wheat flour murukku(thenkuzhal) from arusuvai website and it tasted great.

Those who have a craving for savories, can definitely try and worth to make it.

Thanks for listening.

R
9th August 2005, 04:54 PM
One more recipe from SUN...

Cheese apple rice:

Brown rice 1 cup
onion 1/2 cup
milk 1 cup
nutmeg powder a bit
grated cheese 1 tbsp
apple 1
butter 2 tbsp
mustard powder 1 tbsp
pepper powder 1 tbsp
salt.

Heat butter add onion saute well. Add rice, grated apple, salt cook. Pour enough water and cook. Finally, when done, add milk, all powders , mix well. When it is slightly thicker, add cheese and cook till it melts well.

My variation:

Indeed, it is an excellent food for dieting people if you just take out the butter & cheese.

Since I dont take brown rice, substituted with wheat pasta!!

Cook pasta as usual in a large qty of water with a tsp of oil and salt. Wash in the running water and keep aside.

Instead of butter, add oil, and substitute pasta in the place of brown rice. When comes to milk, just reduce to 1/2 cup and proceed. Serve hot without cheese.

While serving kids, put cheese and cook and it is totally a different item for sure.

gvb
11th August 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi R,
I made "Garbanzo" Snack yesterday ..I added chat masala and tomato chilli sauce instead of pepper and it was Yummy.This is a very easy and tasty recipe.

Thanx,
GVB

R
11th August 2005, 07:44 PM
Here is a couple of recipes which I tried and found totally different.

Javarisi chithranam:

Big sago (preferable) small size is also ok 1 cup
raw rice 1 cup
sliced cauliflower 1 cup
carrot 100 g
green peas 50 g
onion 1 big
potato 1 small
green chillies 2
coconut or coconut milk 1/4 cup
dhania powder 1 tsp
chilli powder 1/2 tsp
pepper 4
haldi, curry leaves
mustard 1/4 tsp
salt.

Grate carrot and onion. cut potato into small pieces.

Wash rice & sago soak them for 20 mts. Drain water and keep aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan, add mustard and once it splutters, add onion & remaining veggies with salt & other powders, mix well. Grind curry leaves, pepper & green chillies into a coarse paste and mix with the above veggie mixture. Fry well and add coconut milk and pour this mixture to the rice sago mixture.

cook them as usual for 2 whistles and if you want the grains to be soft, add 1 to 2 cups of water in extra. Dont forget to add salt.

This itself will serve a good lunch and no need to go for spicy side dish. Simple raitha or even puliyitta keerai will do.

R
11th August 2005, 07:56 PM
Vazhakkai adai:

Plantain 2
besan flour 2 cups
rice flour 2 cups
soda salt a pinch
green chillies 4
coriander leaves small 1 bunch
onion 2
ginger a small piece
salt

Cut onion, chillies, ginger, leaves finely and fry them in oil. Once it is fried well, keep aside.

Peel the skin of veggie, cook nicely. Mix besan, rice flour, soda, salt and add the mashed veggie, chilli powder to taste and knead into a dough.

You can cook in two ways.

1) Either, directly, pat it like adai; grease a non stick pan, put the adai, spread some onion mixture on the top, again, put the veggie dough mixture and apply oil all over the dough and close with a lid, cook.

2) Or, Take thenkuzhal achu, fill up the dough and squeeze directly on the greased non stick pan without leaving any gap.

Put the onion mixture on the top and again, press the thenkzuhal achu above the onion mixture. Apply oil on the edges.

Now, come to the cooking part..

Keep the fire in sim. Close the adai mixture on the tava with a lid. Once it is cooked well on one side, change the side with a thin spatula to the other side without getting disturbed carefully.

Again, close it with a lid and cook. If necessary, pour oil on the edges. Once done, keep aside and goes with tomato chutney.

Sowmya
13th August 2005, 07:07 AM
Hi R
Today I prepared kozhukattai ... and prepared the dough as per your recipe.. It turned out too good,without any lumps. :thumbsup:
I was elated cos this is my first attempt ( always been an assistant to Mom and MIL so far and they do the bulk!)
Thanks a lot..

Regards
Sowmya

Sowmya
13th August 2005, 07:10 AM
Hi R
I have one doubt.. every time I prepare kesari I get lumps. :( It used to be big ones initially now it's becoming better.Can you please suggest what needs to be done to avoid the same?

R
13th August 2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Sowmya,

It happened to me too. And, then, one time, saw my friend making like this and it is quite easy and for sure, you will get a tasty kesari halwa or kesari slices too!! give a try and will not regret...

Kesari:

rava 3/4 cup
sugar 1 cup
ghee 1/2 cup
water 2 cups
food color yellow or orange a pinch
raisins 15
cashew 1/4 cup
cardamom powder 1 tsp

Mix sugar with water and heat in a medium fire or until it dissolves(around 10 mts, guess). Add food color, stir and remove from heat.

Now, in a non stick pan or in a vanali, melt ghee and fry cashew, raisins and keep aside. In the remaining ghee, add rava fry on low heat till the color changes around 4 to 5 mts or a good flavor comes out. The color should change into pale golden brown in color.

Now, add sugar syrup to the rava mixture and cardamom powder and on medium heat cook until the mixture turns thick. Mix the dry fruits and keep stirring.

At first, it will come like halwa which we serve normally. If you want to put slices, wait for some time and it will come at the center like almost a ball. Now, time to pour on a plate and no need to grease the plate as it has lots of ghee in the sweet.

When cold, cut into slices and serve.

some people add equal amount of rava & ghee(!) and finally, everything will come out for sure. Even in the above method, some of the ghee will come out and keep them separately.

If you are not happy with the above qty of ghee, can reduce a bit; but not sure abt the taste. Or, as I told for mysore pak, can add 2 to 3 tbsp oil and later, can add ghee for the remaining portion.

Since rava has already half cooked in the ghee itself, the lumps will not be forming at the later stage while adding water & dont have to check for cooking, which I witnessed by myself.

R
13th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for trying the kozukattai.

What a coincidence-due to aadi velli, also prepared the same at my home!!

Rgds.

R
13th August 2005, 04:19 PM
Suganthi, you are most welcome!!

Sowmya
13th August 2005, 08:45 PM
Hi R
Thanks a lot for the recipe.. what is the ratio of rava:sugar?

Regards

Sowmya
13th August 2005, 08:48 PM
Hi R
I prepared dhokla a couple of days back.. It was very tasty but it became slightly hard in the centre.I did not use ENO ..Is that the reason?

Regards
Sowmya

R
13th August 2005, 09:49 PM
Sowmya, forgot to mention the sugar qty..now i included it and thanks for asking..

And, for dhokla, to my little knowledge, yes eno is a must becoz, as soon as you add, the way, it will puff up like anything. Tried one time adding baking soda without eno; but, the result was not same.

Also, while microwaving, check whether it is done every 2 to 3 mts becoz microwave power varies, so, it might get hard before the said time. Not only for dhokla, for all the recipes, better to check in between.

kavithasenthil
14th August 2005, 02:12 AM
To avoid lumps with rava..follow this.(for upma and for kesari)

Make the liquids boil..when it boils slowly pour the rava with one hand and stir fast the liquid mixture with the other hand(ofcourse with karandi :lol: ) till u finish pouring.

kavithasenthil
14th August 2005, 02:14 AM
R,
Made karnataka okra curry this afternoon. Tasted yum. Thks for sharing.

Sowmya
14th August 2005, 03:53 AM
Hi kavitha
Thanks for the tip.. I 've been doing the reverse.. adding water to rava :lol:

Regards

Sowmya
14th August 2005, 03:54 AM
Hi R
Thanks for the clarification,will def add ENo next time.I have made a note of the updated recipe..
Regards

kavithasenthil
14th August 2005, 05:29 AM
sowmya,
:lol: yes there is 90% chance of lumps in ur method. Try this method once and find the diff. :)

pr
15th August 2005, 07:23 PM
Friends
Have anyone tried using long grain rice for idlies . If s what is the proportion . Once i tried preparing idlies with long grain rice in the ratio 4:1 , but they turned to be very bad ( soggy) . Dosai came out good .. Any suggestions r welcome ..
Thanks
Pr

Seethab
16th August 2005, 05:54 AM
Hi R:

Tried the Thiruvadhirai kuzhambu recipe. It tasted good.

I have a question abt it. You havent mentioned the tamarind amount hence didnt know if the sourness had to be more or less.

Thanks.

Seetha

R
17th August 2005, 12:08 AM
seetha, the reason have not mentioned about tamarind qty is normally we all use different kind of tamarind like paste or the whole tamarind. So, the sour taste differ.

Anyways, the taste will be like our bisibelabath or our regular sambar(not too sour). So, 1/2 spoon tamarind paste for 1 1/2 cups of water and this is my measurement for sambar, and can reduce less, if you add tomato.

Thanks for trying.

chamy
17th August 2005, 02:22 AM
Dear R !
i was just browsing thru old topics and happen to saw a recipe called okra gojju posted by u in Karnataka recipes section.u haven't mentioned how much tamarind to use.Can u post the tamarind quantity?Thanks in advance.Regards Foodlover.

Seethab
17th August 2005, 04:10 AM
Hi R:
Thanks for your prompt response. Which tamarind paste do you suggest I find the paste taste awful at times as it has a strong preservative smell.

Seetha

R
17th August 2005, 10:33 PM
Sorry seetha, I dont suggest that tamarind paste are really good as it gives some sweet taste(very mild), not sure abt the preservative smell. I buy tamcon paste or the other one(dont remember the name)-only one tried the second one.

But, when comes to sambar or rasam or puliyodharai, the final output is quite good. Have to use lesser qty or otherwise will end up with sour sour taste!!

With the whole tamarind, the qty is not coming for a long time. Becoz of the less sour taste, have to take more tamarind and hence, stopped buying it.

R
17th August 2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Chamy,

As mentioned above to seetha's answer, 1/2 spoon tamarind paste will do for 1 1/2 cups of sambar with dal.

Since gojju does not have dhal, can reduce the qty a bit. Hope this helps.

chamy
17th August 2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks R for ur prompt response.Regards foodlover.

R
17th August 2005, 11:42 PM
Collections from SUN this week..

Tomato mixture:

Tomato puree 1/2 cup
besan flour 1/2 cup
boondi 100 g
peanut 1/4 cup
roasted gram 1/4 cup
cashew 8 whole
red chilli powder 2 tsp
hing a few
curry leaves 2 sprigs
cloves 2
pepper powder 1 tsp
chaat masala 1 tsp

Take 2 small sized tomato and grind it. Filter the same. Puree is ready.

In a bowl, add flour, puree, chaat masala, pepper powder, hing, chilli powder, salt, cloves powder & 1 tsp hot oil, mix well. Make dough by kneading them gently.

Take thenkuzhal achu and press it into the oil. When it is brown or the oil sound disappears, take it out and drain on the tissue. Similarly in little amt of oil(1 tsp), add nuts, roasted gram fry till it is crispy and finally, fry curry leaves too.

Now, crush thenkuzhal well and mix it with the nuts, leaves. Add boondi, pepper powder to them and mix well. If necessary add well.

Some points from me:

While I was making the above mixture, omitted chaat masala and did not make boondi. Simple with the tomato thenkuzhal and other nuts, tasted good.

Instead of grinding tomato, can take tinned one and dilute it with water, mix with the dough. Check for salt and hot taste. Since it is prepared with tomato, the final result will not be hot or salty like other mixture.

Grind 1/4 cup(separately) roasted gram and sieve. Include this flour with besan and make thenkuzhal.

So, finally after crushing and mixing with other powders, added little amount of salt and freshly roasted, ground pepper jeera powder which gave extra taste and healthy to eat too.

-----------------------

R
17th August 2005, 11:50 PM
Paneer malli kurma:

Coriander leaves 1 bundle
Mint leaves 1 bundle
paneer 200 g
green chillies 3 or 4
cloves 2 to 3
cinnamon 1/2 tsp
brinji leaves 1
tomato 1 cup
onion 1 cup
cashew 50 g
jeera, kuskus 1 tsp each
ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
oil & salt.

Heat oil, add jeera, cinnamon, cloves & washed leaves. Keep aside.

Heat again in a pan, add oil with onion saute well. Once done, add green chillies, ginger garlic paste fry well. Once the smell is gone, add tomato, ground leaves paste and stir nicely.

Paste cashew, kuskus adding little amt of water and add it to the above. Stir them in slow flame. Add more water, salt and small square pieces of paneer, mix well. Let them boil for some time. Once it is blended well, keep aside.

Goes well with roti, puri & pulao.

My variation:

Instead of the leaves, try with greens like palak etc. Boil it with ginger, garlic & chillies grind together finally.

In the place of cashew, add peanut and still, the taste will come out nicely.

gvb
18th August 2005, 01:36 AM
Hi R
I made "Cheese apple rice" with pasta yesterday and it came out delicious.

Thanx,
GVB

R
18th August 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for trying, gvb..

R
18th August 2005, 04:22 PM
This week, for a change, I am sharing whatever read or heard about seasoning procedures in sambar, rasam etc. For sure, try it and will not regret !!

Seasoning:

1) For sambar & mor kuzhambu, take 1/4 tsp mustard with a pinch of fenugreek seeds preferably in oil than ghee after keeping the vessel down.

2) For vatral kuzhambu, poondu kuzhambu, do the seasoning first.

a. For vatral kuzhambu, season in sesame oil with 1/2 tsp mustard, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp thoor dal, any vatral. do the kuzhambu as usual. After keeping the vessel aside, add raw sesame oil around 2 tsp which gives extra taste!

b. For poondu kuzhambu, dont add thoor dal for seasoning. take peeled garlic flakes and pound(not cutting) them, add it to the oil. Once it is red, add tamarind water etc.

3) For milagu kuzhambu, add mustard, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves (1 sprig) as a seasoning.

-----------------------------

R
18th August 2005, 04:26 PM
For rasam:

Obviously, ghee is better to do the seasoning.

1) For paruppu rasam, season mustard, jeera, hing in ghee.

2) For tomato rasam, add 1 sp ghee with hing and when u heard the sound, add tamarind water proceed..Keep aside once done. Now, do the seasoning separately with mustard in ghee.

3) For milagu rasam, add 1/2 tsp mustard, 1 sprig of curry leaves as a seasoning in ghee. Pound 4 or 5 milagu into one or two pieces and add it to the seasoning. Mix well with rasam.

4) for milagu jeera rasam, with the above pepper powder, add mustard, 2 or 3 coarsely mashed garlic flakes.

5) For kottu rasam, add dry roasted pepper, jeera powder in the seasoning alongwith mustard, hing.

R
18th August 2005, 04:37 PM
For curries & keerai:

1) For potato curry, add mustard, urad dal & jeera proceed.

2) For roasting curries, if you add chilli powder first in the oil, the smell will not make you or others to cough or sneeze.

3) Similarly, adding urad dal or channa dal first to the seasoning and adding mustard will not blacken the mustard seeds.

4) For the other vegetables with coconut, add oil, 2 halves of red chillies so that the hot taste will get into the oil.

5) For keerai, use ordinary oil with 1/2 sp of mustard.

------------------------

gvb
18th August 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi R
Really great to see these useful suggestions.i will sure try it.Thanx for posting such helpful hints.

GVB.

Sowmya
20th August 2005, 06:28 AM
Hi R
Tried parangikai halwa in a new combination..using parangikai,cucumber and melon seeds..It tasted great.The base recipe was the one which you posted :D
Thanks
Regards
Sowmya

R
21st August 2005, 12:30 AM
Did u use the seeds only, Sowmya? If so, from where did u manage to get them?

Have heard abt melon seed burfi, but the combination is quite catchy! Will try some day..

thanks.

Sowmya
21st August 2005, 01:37 AM
Hi R
I bought a pack of dry melon seeds(unsalted) in the indian grocery store.
Aarva kolaru :lol:
I decided to give it a try and landed up preparing halwa.Happy that it turned out good.

R
21st August 2005, 02:23 AM
Sorry to bother you again..but, cucumber & pumpkin seeds are also available in Indian stores?

Rgds.

Sowmya
21st August 2005, 04:41 AM
Hi R
The shop from where I bought the pumpkin seeds is basically a pakistani-indian grocery shop and it was available in the nuts& dry fruits section.
BTW I used fresh cucumbers :roll:

Regards
Sowmya

chamy
23rd August 2005, 02:10 AM
Dear R !
I made channa masala last week and it was very delicious.Thanks for the recipe.
I also made kesari last week .i followed the technique of adding sugar syrup to the rawa as u have mentioned.yeah ! there were no lumps and very much thanks for the tip.
Regards foodlover.

R
23rd August 2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks for yr feedback, chamy and really glad to note it down.

R
23rd August 2005, 06:22 AM
Tried this vada recently and it was really great. Here it is..

Grains vada:

Thoor dal - 1 cup
Channa dal - 1 cup
Masoor dal - 1/2 cup
Urad dal - 1/4 cup
Rice - 1/4 cup
Moong dal - 1/4 cup

Other ingredients:

Green Chillies 4
Red chillies 4
Ginger a small piece
Fennel - 2 tsp
Cut onion - 1
hing and coriander leaves little
Oil for frying

Soak rice & other dals separately for 4 hours. Drain the water and first, grind rice nicely(not like idly batter); now, add the dal mixture with enough water and grind coarsely. Before that, as I told always, keep half handful of dal mixture separately.

Either grind chilies, fennel with ginger separately and mix with the above mixture or while grinding dal, add these ingredients and grind together.

Finally, to the dhal rice mixture, put onion, leaves, hing, salt & the whole separate dals, mix well. Start making vadas and you will see a noticeable difference with the color of vada-maroon color!!

Note:

Learnt this recipe from my friend and modified a bit according to my taste. Optional is adding quarter cup of whole wheat too, but, have not tried with wheat. Without wheat too, it was simply superb.

Pooh
23rd August 2005, 06:53 AM
I tried the dry fruit poli and it came out good.
Thanks

Seethab
23rd August 2005, 09:31 AM
Hi R:

Tried moondrukai thokku. It came out well. Tnks for your valuable inputs.

Seetha

R
23rd August 2005, 09:00 PM
Here is a couple of recipes for kheer. Though it is a std., one, but, surely, mine will vary a bit atleast from everyone's!!

Carrot kheer:

Carrots 4 or 5
Cashew 2 tbsp
cardamom powder 1 tsp
saffron optl. 1/2 tsp
sugar 3/4 cup
badham to garnish sliced 3 tbsp
milk 4 cups

Wash the carrots and if you want, peel the skin nicely out. Cut a carrot into two or three pieces. Pressure cook in a vessel inside the cooker cut carrots, 1 cup of milk with the said cashews. Can add cardamom powder too now alongwith saffron or later. Either way it is fine.

Pressure cook for 2 whistles and sim for 10 mts. Now, the carrot will be soft when you open the cooker. Once it is cold, grind all of them without milk. The carrot will get mashed easily, but one or two nuts will stay still; not to bother.

Meanwhile, boil the remaining milk separately and mix the ground mixture to it. When they all blended together, add sugar to it and wait till it dissolves completely. Garnish with sliced almonds.

Points to note:

Cooking carrots in the milk with cashew will increase the taste which you will find. Since carrot is a sweet veggie, can adjust the sugar accordingly. Can omit even saffron since carrot already gives orange color.

Similarly, if you want it to be thin, use the above qty of milk and if not, reduce the milk qty to 3 cups or so.

----------------------------

R
23rd August 2005, 09:07 PM
Apple kheer:

Apple 4
cashew, badham 2 tbsp each
milk 3 cups
sugar 1 cup
cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
saffron optl. 1/2 tsp

Peel the skin out of the apple and cut into cubical pieces. Meanwhile, blanch the nuts and remove the skin. Grind apple pieces, cardamom, nuts nicely. If it is little coarse, no problem. Can add sufficient amount of milk while grinding apple.

Meanwhile, boil the milk separately. Like I said in the paal paysam, you can boil in the cooker or just direct boiling on the stove like we do normally is also fine. Or, you can even add fresh milk directly to the fruits which I have not tried.

After mixing the boiled milk, ground fruit nuts mixture, add sugar and check for the taste. Depends on yr sweet taste. Mix well till it gets dissolved well. Refrigerate and serve.

Note:

For everyone's easy reference, I am reposting this from Baby food's thread since it is a nutritious one and also adults can enjoy the taste with the kids.

====================

R
23rd August 2005, 09:09 PM
Seetha, glad to note that you also enjoyed with RS's dish. Thanks..

R
23rd August 2005, 09:29 PM
Recipes from SUN are as follows:

Carrot rasam:

Carrot 2
tomato 2
mustard 1 tsp
rasam powder or sambar powder 1 tbsp
garlic flakes 4
cooked thoor dal 1/2 cup
curry leaves, coriander leaves little
lemon juice or tamarind
oil/ghee
salt.

Cook carrot with tomato and grind coarsely.

Heat ghee/oil, season with mustard, 1 tsp of jeera and hing. Dilute dhal with water and add to the seasoning. Add more water to increase the qty. Put sambar powder, ground paste, salt and allow them to boil.

Obviously, tamarind will give better taste when comes to rasam or sambar. So, when it starts boiling, add tamarind. If you dont want tamarind, then, let the rasam boil well. After switching the stove off, pour lemon juice.

Garnish with leaves.

Though the rasam seems to be simple, the color will be so great which makes you to eat more. The reddish orange color will make everyone so hungry. Let them cook in the medium fire then only, can enjoy the taste.

R
23rd August 2005, 09:33 PM
Ellu sadham:

Small onion or big onion 1/2 cup
ellu 100 g
Rice 2 cups
channa dal 2 tsp
red chillies 4
green chillies 2
pepper 1 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
raisins 3 tbsp
urad dal 1 tsp
curry leaves & coriander leaves little
oil/ghee
lemon juice 1 tsp
salt & haldi

Dry fry sesame seed, half of the urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, red chillies, pepper and grind them coarsely.

Cook rice and keep it separately in a wide mouthed vessel adding salt, oil or ghee for flavor. Squeeze juice too on them and adding haldi is optional.

For seasoning, add oil or ghee, put mustard, red and green chillies, remaining portion of urad, channa dals, curry leaves and saute well. Once done, add raisins, cut onion stir well. When the color changes, transfer them to the rice bowl and add the ground ellu powder. Garnish with leaves. If want, add a tsp of sugar. Mix all of them well.

Sowmya
24th August 2005, 01:46 AM
Hi R
Been hearing very nice things about avocado.I don't like the raw smell of the fruit though and some how not very impressed with gaucomole when I tasted it.. probably I did nt know how to prepare it the right way :cry:
Can you suggest recipes using the same.. preferably indian style of cooking the same?

Regards
Sowmya

R
25th August 2005, 03:37 AM
sorry Sowmya; have not tried any dish with avocado. In future, if I come across any interesting recipe, will let you know.

gvb
26th August 2005, 04:50 AM
Hi R
Made "Vella seedai" today and the result was pretty good..I just have one doubt..When i mixed the flour with the Syrup it din't come as a ball..It was like all crumbled..i added hot water,kneaded into soft dough and made balls..Am not sure whether this is the way to do it or whether i shud just make balls with the crumbled flour mixture..
Please let me know the right way to do it.

Thanx,
GVB

R
26th August 2005, 06:29 AM
Hi suganthi,

Am happy to note down the result.

And, have already mentioned that hot water can be sprinkled while kneading the dough, if not sufficient in the vella seedai recipe!!

Rgds.

Yamuna
26th August 2005, 06:03 PM
Hi R,
I think you had been asking for a recipe for chembu mozhukku varatti. Recently came across this item in my mum's cooking notes, just see if this is what you were looking for .

First in a dry vanali, roast 1Tbsp. turdal, 1Tbsp. urad dal, 1Tbsp. raw rice & 8(or to taste) dry red chilly, till little brown. Then grind to fine powder with reqd. salt. Wash, boil, drain ,peel & cube about 1/2 kg. seppankizhangu.
In 2Tbsp. oil, season mustard , urad dal, then add cooked & peeled sepankizhangu. Stir. Then add the powder & keep stirring in between & cook for about 5 mins. or further if you want a crisper one.

Bye.

R
26th August 2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the recipe.It is very closer to us and should try definitely, then will know for sure.

Appreciate yr remembrance.

Sowmya
26th August 2005, 10:31 PM
Hi Yamuna,R
This variation in Chembu mezhuvaratti looks interesting..This powder closely resembles the one which I use for "Keerai Chundal".

Yamuna..
Anymore variations.. please let us know

Regards

dsankaran
26th August 2005, 10:44 PM
Hi R, I made cheedai as per your instructions. It tasted good.But the color was very dark. If I took it out when it was light brown the cheedais were not cooked inside. Where did I go wrong? I fried these in medium heat.

- D

gvb
27th August 2005, 03:20 AM
Thanx for ur response,R

padmasini
27th August 2005, 05:40 AM
Hi R,
I tried your recipe for making uppu cheedai and vella cheedai. The taste was awesome.

I have a question about vella cheedai.. When I fried it started disintegrating (The outer layer came peeling off) . Any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks for sharing your recipe...

R
27th August 2005, 03:26 PM
Hi D,

while making the seedai from rice flour, have to be extra careful as the quality varies to each other unlike from the raw rice.

If you make it in non stick vessel, could be one reason for to get darkened. Or, if the oil is very hot, better to switch off and cool down, then, should start doing.

Or, try to reduce the size of seedai and this will take faster time to cook properly and the chances of darkening will be less. If the oil is not sufficient, then, it will end up like hard seedais or kauduk, kaduk..

For all of yr informations, this time, made vella cheedai and before even the oil sound stopped completely, it was well cooked. When you take the seedais thro' yr laddle or spatula, will notice the difference between the cooked seedai & uncooked seedai.

These are the basic important points and the more you make, will know the correct method of taking out of the oil and other adjustments.

Hope this will help you a bit in future.

R
27th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Friends,

Though it is a little late to inform you, but, a couple of points while making seedai to remember which was told by my grand mother.

1. While making balls, should not be any crack which is the reason for bursting. Make sure you are forming a ball like that.

2. After making balls, put it in a water absorbent like in white cloth; now, I recollected back in my home, my mother use to put the seedais in a big white cloth! Anyways, this will absorb water and water inside will cause the explosion.

3. Dry them out for an hr. Now, start making seedais.

Pls dont think that I am informing this after Krishna jayanthi is done. Unexpectedly, had a chance to talk to her and checked out with her if there could be any unknown points! Anyways, here it is..

Yamuna
28th August 2005, 12:41 AM
Hi,
I made cheedai y'day using Mrs.Revathy Shanmugam's recipe in Festival recipes, it came out simply superb. I omitted the green chillies & added a tsp. of cumin seeds. Rest all, just correctly follow the recipe. Make the balls loosely [without pressing too hard], & spread on a double sheet of newspaper to dry for at least an hour.
Then fry in low - med. flame, Guaranteed no bursting !!
It was only bursting with crisp crunchy sounds while eating .
Well worth a try, friends .
Bye.

R
28th August 2005, 07:11 PM
This is another version of seedai which tried (from an older version of Iyengar cookery book) alongwith my version for this Krishna jayanthi.

Seedai(second version):

Rice flour 1 cup
sesame seed 1/2 sp
urad flour 2 sp
salt 3/4 sp
coconut grated 2 sp
hing 1/4 sp
butter 2 sp.

Sieve the flours and mix all the ingredients slowly till the butter gets coated evenly with all the flours. Now, add water little by little knead into a dough. Care to be taken that there is no crack while forming balls.

Take a white cloth or kerchief and put the balls, dry them for an hr. could be an alternative method becoz we have not fried these flours.

Would like to mismatch for the next time both of the methods like frying the flours and drying out in the cloth for an hr.

This time, prepared a very small balls which looks very attractive and also easy to cook and many advantages. App., took a cup and came around 50 seedais!

I made balls half of the seedais with a single and the others with both of the hands, still no problem. After the oil is hot, put a batch of seedai. cook until the golden brown color or the oil sound disappears.

Adjust with medium or low fire according to the seedai color. Becoz, many people were telling here that the color came out dark, but when I was making, wondered becoz kept the vessel in a big burner and also kept a min at high flame while pouring the seedais; then medium and sim alternatively till the end, before taking them out kept in high. Still, the color was so uniform. I suggest all of you to use iron vanali until we get some experience.

R
28th August 2005, 07:13 PM
A couple of days ago, Mrs.Revathy has shown making maida seedais in SUN TV; am yet to try her version. But, soon, will post all of her useful tips regarding gas adjustments etc. Certainly, it will be useful to all of us.

Thanks.

R
31st August 2005, 09:55 PM
SUN'S recipes are as follows:

Instant burfi:

Milk powder 2 cups
cream 300 ml or 1 1/4 cup
almond, cashew 2 tbsp each
sugar 1 to 1 1/2 cup

Mix powder, sugar & cream beat well for 1 or 2 mts. Microwave for 5 mts(check in the middle). After 5 mts, check whether it is dry or not. If not, microwave for again a couple of mts or till you get the right consistency.

Transfer the sweet to a greased plate and flat it equally. Garnish with nuts & add cardamom powder. Cut into pieces. Enjoy!!

Points from me:

You can use non fat milk powder and instead of cream, substitute with 1 or 2 % milk, still the taste will come out nicely which is for sure. That is how I made.

In between, it was overflowing becoz of milk, dont know. So, for the first 4 mts, prepared in microwave and later, started making on the stove top and finished preparing the sweet.

R
1st September 2005, 12:47 AM
Paruppu paniyaram:

Thoor dal 1 cup
par boiled rice 1/2 cup
salt
curry leaves & coriander leaves little
green chillies 4 to 5 cut
onion 1 small

Soak rice & dhal and grind together in between the consistency of nice & coarse. Ferment the batter, add the remaining things and proceed doing paniyaram.

R
1st September 2005, 12:53 AM
Here are some basic kuzhambu & rasam recipes with a slight variation.

Vathal kuzhambu koozh:

Powder:

Dhania 2 tsp
thoor dal, channa dal 1 tsp each
pepper 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seed 1/2 tsp
hing
red chillies 3 to 4

Fry the above items in little amount of sesame oiland powder it nicely.

Seasoning:

Mustard 1 tsp
fenugreek seed 1/2 tsp
red chillies 1
curry leaves
any vathal.

Take thick extract of tamarind and add water with salt, haldi and allow them to boil.

Do seasoning, add vathal fry them well till the color changes. Pour this onto the tamarind koozh. Check for salt and add the powder or make it a paste with water. Boil for some time till it is thick.

------------------

R
1st September 2005, 12:56 AM
Dhal rasam:

cooked thoor dal 1 hanful
tomato 1 small
salt, tamarind
jeera 1 tsp
pepper 1 tsp

Seasoning:

mustard 1 tsp
red chillies 3 to 4
curry leaves & hing
coriander leaves to garnish

Mash tomato in tamarind water. Grind raw jeera, pepper nicely with little water.

Season the above in ghee and pour them in the tomato mixture. Pour the paste too and check for salt. When the raw smell disappears, dilute the dhal with water and pour. Boil for a couple of mts and switch off.

If you feel the dhal is more, reduce to half handful of the same.

R
1st September 2005, 01:03 AM
Tomato rasam:

Tomato 1 or 2 small
haldi & salt.

Fry & Powder:

dhania 1 tsp
thoor dal 1/2 tsp
hing
red chillies 4 to 5
fenugreek seed 1/2 tsp
pepper & jeera 1/2 tsp

Seasoning:

Mustard 1 tsp
curry leaves

Grind tomato coarsely; add water and make a liquid mixture. Put salt, haldi and let them boil.

Meanwhile, fry the above items except for pepper & jeera in ghee or oil until it is brown. Grind them with jeera & pepper. Put this powder to the tomato mixture. Add salt with enough water, boil and do seasoning separately. Mix both of them. once the raw smell is gone, switch off the fire.

Finally squeeze lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.

Inimai
2nd September 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi R,

For Kozhukattai dough, have you tried the store bought rice flour? If so, did it come successfully?

Thanks!

R
2nd September 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Inimai,

Yes, of course, have tried store made rice flour for making kozhkattai in my as well as Mrs.Mano's method and both came out nicely.

Recently, I was told by my cousin that she had a minor problem with Swad brand rice flour, then, added more water than the required qty. After that, it came out ok.

Rgds.

R
2nd September 2005, 09:39 PM
Nutritious urundai:

Wheat flour 1 cup
thoor dal powder 1/4 cup(optl. moong dal powder)
peanut 1/4 cup
dry fruits mix 2 to 3 tbsp
crushed jaggery 1/2 to 3/4 cup
cardamom powder
dry coconut 3 tsp

Dry roast them separately till they are really hot. Mix all the flours together well and add 2 tsp of hot ghee with other ingredients. Start making balls using more hot ghee or milk.

But, if you add milk, it might not stay for a longer time.

gvb
4th September 2005, 12:17 AM
Hi R
i tried out Dhal rasam and Tomato rasam the last two days and it tasted amazing.Thanks for a great recipe.

GVB

Inimai
4th September 2005, 09:05 AM
Hi R,

Thank you for the reply! I am goinng to try the kozhukattai outer layer accorfing to your recipe using the store bought rice flour. Any suggestions on the brand?

Thanks!

Thanks!

R
4th September 2005, 04:19 PM
A while ago, some one had asked for disintegrating of vella seedai. As far as I know, excess of adding vellam might be the reason for it to come separately or if the syrup consistency is not right, could happen.

R
4th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Lots of thanks for trying, gvb.

Seethab
4th September 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi R:
Made carrot rasam. Yummm!! thanks for the recipe.

Seetha

R
5th September 2005, 12:11 AM
Friends,

There is a tip where read from a magazine about kozhukattai.

Those who are not very comfortable in making soppu, pls buy the lemon squeezer and grease it. Now, put a ball into it and press them, neat and uniform soppu is ready!!

Bye.

R
5th September 2005, 06:51 AM
Hello Inimai,

Any brand should be fine, guess as you are going to buy the fresh flour. As mentioned earlier, my cousin had bought swad brand flour and was told that she bought it a long while ago.

This time, she has bought Lakshmi brand and according to me, any brand will do as I have not faced any problem in making kozhakattai.

Anyways, try in non stick vessel so that it will make the job easier and keep in extra hot water just in case and start with minimum qty instead of wasting the entire flour. Cover the dough with a wet cloth so that it will not get dry and similarly with kozhukattai too. If you cant knead the dough, try using hand blender ONLY when it is warm.

Good luck..

dev
5th September 2005, 08:35 AM
Hi R,

May I understand what soppu is???!!!...

R
5th September 2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Dev,

Soppu is that the outer layer covering for making kozhukattai from the rice flour dough.

Rgds.

Inimai
6th September 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi R,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

gvb
7th September 2005, 12:04 AM
Hi R
I tried "Carrot Rasam" yest and as u had said the color looked so inviting and the taste was truly delicious.I think the rasam series u have posted is a must try!

GVB

R
7th September 2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks, GVB for yr appreciation..

A couple of rasam I am intending to post..

This is a rasam powder where learnt from my friend and prepared thakkali dhal rasam using the below said powder and it was simply superb.

Rasam powder:

Red chillies, dhania, thoor dal 1 karandi each or any measuring cup
pepper 3/4 karandi
jeera 1/2 karandi
fenugreek seed 1 tsp
kadugu 1 tsp

Dry roast all the above and grind nicely.

Now, prepare rasam as usual and substitute this powder. Not any special ingredients are necessary other than the above powder.

================

R
7th September 2005, 12:58 AM
This garlic rasam learnt from my cousin where it is very simple and thin rasam. Those who want to drink rasam with an appetizer, definitely, go for this.

Garlic rasam:

Garlic - 1 whole (10 pods)
Tamarind - 1 lemon size
Tomato - 1/2
Jeera - 1 tbsp
Pepper -1/4 to 1/2 spoon
Red chillies - 2 to 3 nos
Curry leaves - a handful

Tempering:

mustard 1 tsp
hing 1/2 tsp
red chillies 1(cut into halves)

Just powder raw jeera and pepper first in the mixie. Add red
chillies, curry leaves and 4 garlic pods and grind them together. Do not add water and the powder has to be coarse.

In a kadai, add oil or ghee and temper the given ingredients. Pour tamarind water, tomato and let them boil for some time. Put the remaining garlic pods after slightly smashed with hands and boil it until the raw smell disappears or the garlic gets cooked softly.

Add the prepared powder and boil for a minute and turn it off. Those who want it to be thick, can add diluted dal water.

R
7th September 2005, 01:12 AM
Another rasam variety which is known as...

Mor(buttermilk) rasam

tomato 1/2 big
butter milk 1/2 cup
water 1 cup
hing 1/2 tsp
curry & coriander leaves little
sambar powder 1/4 tsp optl.

fry in oil & grind:

dhania, channa dal, thoor dal 1 tsp each
pepper jeera 3/4 tsp
red chillies 2 to 3
dry coconut 2 tsp

Fry in oil and grind adding little amount of water.

Cook tomato with water, salt, hing, leaves, sambar powder boil. Can prepare without adding sambar powder too. After it boils well, add 1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with the ground paste, boil for some more time.

Another way of adding tomato is to grind it with the said ingredients and proceed. The above measurement is to let you know about the ratio of water & butter milk; if you take too much of butter milk, will end up like mor kuzhambu. Based on this ratio, adjust the qty while you make.

gvb
8th September 2005, 10:19 PM
Hi R
Today it was "Garlic rasam" at my house and it is soooo yummy!
Am enjoying all your Rasam delights.

GVB

R
9th September 2005, 03:42 PM
GVB, it is indeed my pleasure!!

ash_970
9th September 2005, 08:59 PM
Hello R,
I really appreciate your thread, the recipes sounds very promising..my only request is me and others like me who are not familiar with tamil terms cannot understand the whole recipe....can you please give the equivalent terms in Hindi / English...I know some times it is difficult but your effort will never go un appreciated...many thanks for publishing the recipes ...This week end I am looking forward to make 'Garlic-Rasam'..I am sure it will come out well...will let u know..Thanks

R
10th September 2005, 02:41 AM
This week's tested contribution of SUN..

Curd roti:

Bread slices 3
curd 1/2 cup
milk 1/2 cup
sugar 1 tsp otpl.

To grind:

coriander leaves 2 tbsp
green chillies 4 (2+2)
coconut grated 2 tsp
salt

Grind the above ingredients nicely. Keep aside.

Seasoning:

sambar onion 1/2 cup ( cut)
raisins 20 g
urad dal 1 tsp
mustard 1 tsp
oil & salt.

As per the recipe, the crust has to be removed; but, it is upto you. Apply chutney on the bread's one side. Close it with other bread. Keep aside.

Heat oil, add seasoning ingredients except salt and fry well. Meanwhile, beat curd, sugar, milk, salt well and garnish with little coriander leaves.

Now, take the bread cut into diagonal halves. Arrange on a plate(will be a triangular shape) and pour the curd mixture on top of the bread slices. Pour this liquid mixture 10 mts prior to serving. Decorate with more coriander leaves or grated carrots.

You can even refrigerate the curd mixture and at the time of serving, pour the curd onto the bread which will be nice to eat during hot summer.

Ideal snack for adults too becoz of no oil!

------------------------------

R
10th September 2005, 02:46 AM
Navadhania dosa:

Raw rice 50 g
Sprouted navadhania(9 grains) 300 g
onion 1
ginger 1 piece
jeera 1/2 tsp
green chillies 1 to 2
salt & oil

Soak rice in water for 2 hrs. Sprout the grains overnight. Grind rice, chillies with salt finely. Add the sprouted grains like wheat, ragi, channa, chowly etc. and grind nicely. Make thin dosa applying oil at the edges.

Nutritious dosa is ready.

Points from me:

If you cant find the nine grains, can even prepare with a single sprouted grain like black channa alone which I did. In order to get the full nutrition from the sprouted grain, rice has included in the least ratio.

About grinding, it can be even coarse; but, will come out like adai. So, I opt for nice consistency. If you cook in high fire and then change into medium fire with some patience, becoz of black channa, the dosa came out with a real crispiness.

R
10th September 2005, 02:49 AM
Thanks a lot, ash. As far as I know, have been using English words too other than the tamil words. Still, will be wide awake in future while mentioning.

Rgds.

Seethab
10th September 2005, 05:14 AM
Hi R:

Do we get navadhania grains ready made at the store? I have seen it only for pooja purposes. Pls clarify.

How much time does the grains take to sprout? Pls give measures in cup R. Too many requests. Thanks for your patience!!

Seetha.

R
10th September 2005, 04:35 PM
Hi Seetha,

I was told by my cousin that the navadhaniyam packet is available near the pooja items in Indian stores where I also saw; but, forgot. So, use to buy separately and do sundals etc.

But, yes, it is available as mentioned in a small pack. I dont think that we can make from that size for a family. Otherwise, you can buy whatever prefer, separately.

Also, am not sure how long kollu, mochai, thuvarai will take to get sprouted? The standard items I use to prepare sprouts are black channa(2 days), green moong(1 day), kaaramani(1 day), whole wheat (1 day); rest of them, incl. white channa sometimes, the sprouts will come, but,most of the times, a bad smell will also coming out before the sprouts comes out. You can even try with green or white peas. I have black whole urad and am yet to try. Ragi is also easy to prepare sprouts; in a day itself, will come out where I saw my mother making.

In the recipe of navdhania dosa, she did not include kollu and remember seeing the other items like moong, ragi, kambu, channa etc.

Abt the qty, I tell you approximately ....

rice 1/4 cup
sprouted navadhaniam 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups

Hope this helps you.

R
10th September 2005, 04:36 PM
FYI, I prepared dosa with a quarter cup of rice and 1 cup of sprouted black channa only.

Nowadays, in NJ, the sprouted moong pack alone is available in the counter section or freezer section!! But, you can prepare them at home, just an info., that is all.

Pooh
11th September 2005, 07:59 PM
I made garlic rasam and itturned out good.
Thank you

Sowmya
14th September 2005, 06:37 AM
Hi R
Tried "malli paneer kurma" today and loved the taste.Thanks a lot for the wonderful recipe.

Regards

R
14th September 2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Pooh & sowmya for trying...

R
14th September 2005, 06:37 PM
This week, a couple of capsicum dishes coming from SUN..

Stuffed capsicum:(Mrs.Revathy's version)

Potato cooked 2
onion 2
tomato 3
cooked chickpeas 1 cup
capsicum 3
garlic 3
ginger paste 2 tsp
green chillie or paste 1 tbsp
chilli powder, dhania powder & garam masala 1 tsp each
lemon juice
coriander leaves & salt.

For stuffing:

Heat oil, add onion, ginger, garlic & chilli pastes, saute. Add tomato, all powders, salt mix well. Once done, add boiled & mashed potato, mashed chick peas mix well. Preferably, if there is no water. Check for salt.

Garnish with leaves & squeeze juice.

This is an excellent side dish for rotis too.

Now comes to the capsicum part...As per the original recipe, wash and wipe it. Remove the top portion like a lid and deseed the inside portion completely. Stuff the potato mixture inside by pressing it well.

How to cook:

Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add stuffed capsicum, close the vessel. Keep in medium fire, cook for some time. Sprinkle some water, turn to the bottom and close the vessel again, cook for 5 mts.

Check whether the capsicum is soft, turn off the fire

-----------------------

Suggestions from me:

1) If you dont want to use oil, after stuffing, steam cook for 5 to 8 mts or until it is soft.

2) I was told by my cousin that before stuffing, after removing the seeds, boil the capsicum alone in hot water till soft. Now, do the stuffing etc.

3) Better to buy smaller size of capsicum as it is very heavy to finish for a person to finish the entire veggie. After deseeding, cut the veggie into halves and cook, stuff which is easier to serve or eat.

4) Important point is adding salt to capsicum-if you are boiling the veggie, boil it in salt water. Otherwise, sprinkle salt water if you follow the original recipe(but, capsicum does not take salt in this way).

Or else, make a paste of ghee or oil with pepper powder & salt. Apply the paste on and inside the capsicum.

R
14th September 2005, 06:41 PM
Another stuffing for capsicum or
Capscium fried rice:

Capsicum red, yellow, green 3 nos.
rice 1 cup
cabbage 1 cup
beans, carrot 1/2 cup
green chillies 1
ghee 3 tsp or oil
tomato sauce 2 tsp
garlic ginger paste 1 tsp
pepper powder 1 tsp

Heat ghee, add pastes, chillies, cut veggies, pepper powder & salt. Mix well. Sprinkle some water to get cooked. Once done, add cooked rice, salt & coriander leaves mix well.

As told earlier, stuff rice inside the cooked capsicum and pour sauce on top.

sk
14th September 2005, 07:17 PM
Hi R,

Can u plz tell me which brand is good for making Paratha n Naan?.I use Gold Medal.

Rgds,
sk

chamy
16th September 2005, 02:32 AM
Dear R !
i made mullangi kootu and it was very nice.Thank u very much for the recipe.
Regards Foodlover.

R
17th September 2005, 01:05 AM
Hello sk,

Sorry to tell you that have not tried making parata or naan at home, so cant help you..

Rgds.

R
17th September 2005, 01:05 AM
You are welcome, foodlover..

R
17th September 2005, 01:14 AM
Here is a couple of recipes which happened to learn from a caterer who runs a mess.

Idly sambar:

Thoor dal, moong dal 1 laddleful each
eggplant 2 small
tomato 1
green chillies 5
salt 1 tsp
coconut grated 3 tsp
saunf 1/4 tsp
tamarind
onion 1

Cook dals separately and boil eggplant, tomato & chillies adding some water. When they are half done, add onion and cook for some time.

Grind coconut with saunf into a nice paste. Now, mix the cooked dal & veggies mixture together. Add the paste, tamarind and stir well and mash them with back of the laddle roughly. Allow them to boil for some time.

Season in oil with mustard, curry leaves and pour onto the sambar.

R
17th September 2005, 01:24 AM
Kaara kuzhambu:

onion 1 cup
tomato 1
garlic 1/2 in no.
sambar powder 1 tsp
tamarind, salt

Dry fry & grind:

pepper, jeera & mustard 1 tsp each
thoor dal 2 tsp
fenugreek seed 11/2 tsp

Dry fry and grind nicely the above ingredients.

Season in sesame oil with mustard, cut onion and saute well. When the color changes, add cut tomato(can use tomato paste too) and the garlic flakes, fry well till they all done. Add sambar powder and tamarind juice with salt. Boil in the medium fire.

When it is half done, add the powder and allow them to boil for some more time.

Optionally, can add rice flour for the thickness. Do not mix the flour with water; instead, take a laddleful of kuzhambu and mix with flour, pour into the kuzhambu. Will find the difference.

Sowmya
17th September 2005, 02:37 AM
Hi R
Prepared dhal rasam a couple of days back and garlic rasam today.Both turned out very good :thumbsup:
Thanks
Regds
Sowmya

Sowmya
17th September 2005, 04:38 AM
Hi R
In the Idly sambar recipe you have recently posted you have asked to add onions directly to the boiling vegs.
So there is no need to saute them?Direct boiling is it?
Please let me know.

Regds

R
17th September 2005, 06:11 AM
Yes, sowmya for the idly sambar query and thanks for the feedback on rasam.

Yamuna
18th September 2005, 04:38 PM
Hello Moderators,

R is doing a fantastic job with her whole-hearted sharing of the recipes. It would be very nice & fitting if this thread also was made a 'sticky' one ... Surely her prompt & sincere advises/help to fellow hubbers & her dedication deserves it , I feel.

Cheers,
Yamuna.

Sowmya
19th September 2005, 05:05 AM
Hi R
Prepared "Idly sambar" today and we loved the taste.
Thanks for a great recipe.

Regards

MysoreHudugi
19th September 2005, 08:52 PM
Hello Moderators,

R is doing a fantastic job with her whole-hearted sharing of the recipes. It would be very nice & fitting if this thread also was made a 'sticky' one ... Surely her prompt & sincere advises/help to fellow hubbers & her dedication deserves it , I feel.

Cheers,
Yamuna.

I second Yamuna. This thread infact deserves to be a sticky one.

CI.

Seethab
19th September 2005, 09:36 PM
I second (third)Yamuna!! This Thread deserves to be a sticky one!!

Seetha

R
20th September 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi friends,

I am so stunned on seeing yrs' support & appreciation which you shower on me!!

No offense, but, yr comments are much better compliment than getting a sticky thread.

Anyways, thanks thanks a lot once again..

Rgds.

dev
20th September 2005, 03:24 PM
Hi CI,

Can you pls post the recipe for Mysore rasam?...

R, I guess U don't mind me posting this request here...:)

dev
20th September 2005, 04:00 PM
Hi all,
pls find an updated recipe index at page 1. It contains the index of recipes upto page 15. The rest of the index will be updated soon for easy reference. Pls gie ur comments /suggestions in this regard. If it is useful,we can try to create an index for the other popular threads too.

Sowmya
20th September 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi dev
It's a very good idea to have an index of the recipes. It's very nice of you to create an updated index.Great going..

Regards

Sowmya
20th September 2005, 04:12 PM
Hi R
Hearty Congrats.It was a great pleasure to see the "SUN TV " thread "sticky" early in the morning.

Thanks DEV for your prompt response.

Regards

kavithasenthil
20th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Hey..congrats R!!!

R
20th September 2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks Sowmya, CI, Kavitha, Yamuna, Seetha & other friends.

The majority credit goes to you all and hoping to maintain the same here in future too.

Thank you, Dev personally and it is really my pleasure if CI or others post a recipe here as it is everyone's thread too.

Will update the index as and when I find time.

Rgds.

MysoreHudugi
20th September 2005, 05:03 PM
Congratulations R,
It takes lot of dedication, patience to do what you, Mrs.Mano are doing. I found out that I have very little of both after seeing you both's work. :roll: :oops:

Good job.

CI.

arrecipes
20th September 2005, 06:58 PM
Hi R,

Do you have any recipes with soya beans?

bhargavi.raj
20th September 2005, 08:38 PM
hey R
congrats. Keep up ur good work.

Bhargavi.Raj

dsankaran
20th September 2005, 09:10 PM
R, Congrats on your thread becoming sticky.

I happened to make Godhumai Halwa for my husband's B'day (as per the recipe from Meenakshi Ammal's "Samaithu Paar" cook book) and Pattani Masala from Mallika Badrinath's recipe collection . It turned out great. I am not sure if this is the correct place to share this information.. however I am willing to post it in case anyone's interested. Please let me know.

- D

gvb
20th September 2005, 10:00 PM
Hi R
Hearty Congragulations on going sticky.Looks like i missed all the action.

GVB

svasu_ani
20th September 2005, 10:05 PM
R, COngrats on the thread becoming sticky... :thumbsup:

chamy
21st September 2005, 12:01 AM
Dear R !
Congrats ! you deserve it !Keep up the Good work !
Regards Foodlover

R
21st September 2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks, foodlover,anitha, bhargavi, gvb & D.

Nothing would have happened without you guys, so have to thank you only.

Rgds.

R
21st September 2005, 03:39 AM
CI, if you see in that way, then, have to say that you are my leader & yr thread is my motivation!!

R
21st September 2005, 03:42 AM
Hi arrecipes,

My mother used to make soya dosa, soya vada & add the granules to all kinds of kootu; you can prepare sundal. As Mini had mentioned in Food SOS thread, can make soya gravy like channa masala.

Similar to rasavangi, you can prepare with kathiri soya gravy(south indian style). While you make aval or rava upma, alongwith veggies instead of peanuts, can add cooked soya for a change.

If you want any of these recipes, let me know; will post them.

Since it is not coming out softly, dont buy it nowadays. If you are happy with the texture, let me know so that will start buying the same.

R
21st September 2005, 03:43 AM
Hi D,

Will you pls post Mrs.Meenakshi ammal's godhumai halwa whenever find time? As I have Mrs.Mallika's gravy cookery book, pls post the former alone.

Thanks for sharing at the right time!!

Rgds.

R
21st September 2005, 03:46 AM
Hi Dev,

Many thanks to you for updating the first page. Of course, it is really useful. Everytime pressing each & every page number was a tedious job.

Long time back, I posted a query related in SOS section and thought that no one responded for the same. Now, I got the answer and million of appreciations from my end.

Rgds.

dev
21st September 2005, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I've updated the index for all recipes posted so far... Hope it'll be useful to U all... Use it & let me know ur suggestions/feedback...

svasu_ani
21st September 2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks DEV... :D

rain
21st September 2005, 11:53 PM
congratulations R! on ur thread turning 'sticky'!

regards,
rain

dsankaran
22nd September 2005, 03:14 AM
Godhumai Halwa

(Recipe taken from Meenakshi Ammal's Samaithu Paar cookbook)

Whole wheat - 2 cups
Cane Sugar - 5 cups
Ghee - 1.5 cups
Cardamom powder - 1.5 tsp
Saffron - a pinch
Milk - 2 tsp
Water - 1.5 cups
Orange food color - a few drops
Cashew nuts - 20 pieces
Almonds - 1 cup

Method

Soak whole wheat overnight. Grind with warm water and extract milk three times (as you would for coconut milk).

Let the wheat milk stand for 5 hrs. The milk will separate out into a thick portion at the bottom and a clear liquid on top.

Throw away the clear portion. Save the thick milk.

Make sugar syrup to one thread consistency by adding 1.5 cups of water to 5 cups of sugar on medium heat.

Soak almonds, peel and grind into a thick paste.

Add almond paste to wheat milk. Beat well and add this mixture to the sugar syrup. Stir constantly on medium heat until well combined. Add food coloring.

Now add ghee one ladle at a time, stir constantly. Wait until ghee is absorbed and continue to add more ghee. Repeat this process until the mixture is thickened and will form a ball around your wooden ladle and won't absorb any more ghee.

Add cardamom powder, roasted cashew pieces and saffron soaked in warm milk mid-way through the previous step.

Once you complete adding all the ghee and you see the halwa spitting out ghee (they call it "nei kakkarathu" in tamil) transfer the mixture to a greased tray. Pat it and let cool.

Tips:

I left out the saffron (because I didnt have any). Used a non-stick pot and a wooden ladle. Although the wheat milk extraction was painful, the taste made it worth all the pain (My husband claims more so, as he is the one emptying the tray full of halwa. I just had a teaspoon full :( )

Enjoy!

- D

R
22nd September 2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks, D..looks like it is a long procedure!! guess, that I can try during some occasion.

Rgds.

R
22nd September 2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks, rain so much..

Sukanya2
22nd September 2005, 06:28 PM
Hi,

Could somebody please give me the recipe for "Fried Icecream with caramel sauce"? It came on Mangaiyar Choice on Sun TV 3-4 weeks ago. The lady made the caramel sauce using Naattu chakkarai.

Thanks in advance.

Sukanya.

gvb
22nd September 2005, 07:15 PM
Hi R
Made the idly sambhar u had posted a while ago and it came out good.Nice change from the frying and grinding!!

GVB

R
23rd September 2005, 12:14 AM
Good, gvb that you tried and of course, when you feel so boring to cook, just hit this sambar!!

R
23rd September 2005, 12:21 AM
This week, here a couple of recipes from SUN as well as from myself. Anyways, from SUN, here it is...

Potato masala roast:

Potato 3 to 4
coconut milk 1/4 cup
onion 1/2 cup
tomato 2 to 3
coconut oil 4 tsp or lesser than that
red chillies 5
haldi, salt
urad dal 1 tbsp
green chillies 2
garlic 5 flakes
cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp
curry leaves

Heat oil, add cinnamon, urad dal, chillies saute. Once done, add cut onion, flakes, curry leaves saute more. Add tomato pieces, cooked potato, haldi & salt, mix well.

If you want the potato to be cooked directly, then, close and cook on low fire. Add half of the coconut milk, mix well and cook for some time.

While adding the remaining milk, keep the fire in high. After pouring, sim the gas and dont close the lid. Let them boil so that the spices will distribute evenly throughout the potatoes. Check for salt.

Omitting or reducing chillies is upto you.

It is a good combination for the forthcoming kitchidi recipe which tried.

---------------------------

R
23rd September 2005, 12:30 AM
Masala kitchdi(second version):

Just follow the procedure regarding cooking which have mentioned here already.

Rice 1 cup
moong dal & gram dal(channa dal) 1 cup together
peanut 1/4 cup
onion 1
tomato 1
potato 1 (can include other veggies)
garlic 5 flakes
green peas 1/2 cup
jeera 1 tsp
bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves 2 each
garam masala 1 tsp
haldi, ginger
green chillies 5
sambar powder 1/2 tsp
oil & salt.

Heat oil and jeera, other raw spices, fry well. Now, add cut onion, ginger, chillies, garlic, soaked peas, potato, tomato with other powders, mix well. Add more water than the regular amount with haldi & salt.

Before that, as usual, soak rice and dal together 1 hr. before and also peanut separately for 1/2 hr. atleast. Mix all of them together and cook for 2 whistles and sim for 20 mts.

Points from me:

Though it is a combination of dal and rice, if you taste the leftover kitchdi, it wont be the same. So, have to add more veggies especially tomato & spices to get a good flavor & taste.

R
23rd September 2005, 12:38 AM
A couple of recipes from myself:

Punjabi pakoda:

Besan flour 1 cup
red chili powder 1 tsp
haldi, salt depends
potato 1 to 2 cooked and mashed
onion 1
kesari powder a pinch(optl.)
water to prepare the batter.

Cut onion into two halves and then, cut into slices(medium size) and keep aside.

Meanwhile, mix flour with the other ingredients and add mashed potato, sliced onion and add water accordingly. The consistency should be like appam or bajji batter.

Now, take a small laddle and pour onto the hot oil. Instead of pouring straightly, you can just drag in the oil and that is how, had it at my friend's place.

This pakoda is so soft unlike our South Indian pakoda and the taste is really great.

---------------------------

R
23rd September 2005, 12:45 AM
Vazhaipoo(banana flower) vada:

banana flower-quarter portion from the whole
channa dal 1 cup
thoor dal 1 handful
ginger 1 piece small
garlic 1 flakes optl.
red chillies 2 to 3
saunf 1 tsp
jeera 1/2 tsp
salt.

Clean the banana flower and cut them coarsely. Take a quarter cup of butter milk and put the cleaned cut flower with haldi. Cook them. Drain the butter milk and wash with water once again.

Meanwhile, soak dals for 2 hrs and drain the water. Grind dals with other ingredients coarsely and before grinding, as usual, take a handful of dhals separately. Once done, keep aside and put the cooked flower and run for one time(coarse texture is fine).

Mix dals, ground flower & whole dals and prepare vada. Deep fry in oil and wait till it turns into golden brown color.

Seethab
23rd September 2005, 05:35 AM
Hi R:
Can you explain about the dragging procedure? Thanks

Seetha

Yamuna
26th September 2005, 04:38 PM
Hi R / any other friends,

Any idea about the significance of Navrathri ? All I know is victory of good over evil, but what is exact story behind the 9 day celebrations ?

When exactly is the 1st.day of Navarathri this year, Oct. 3 or Oct. 4 ?

Thanks in advance,
Yamuna.

di
27th September 2005, 02:15 AM
hi R,
Congratulations on u'r thread becoming "Sticky"! i was busy last week...so belated wishes!

kavithasenthil
30th September 2005, 04:17 AM
Hello R,

Tried Instand Burfi. As you said i can't make it in the microwave. It overflowed. So after 4 mins i cooked in the sotve top. The outcome was like a halwa but not burfi. Tastes very good. Can u tell me how to make burfi rather than halwa?

kavithasenthil
30th September 2005, 06:36 AM
Hi R / any other friends,

Any idea about the significance of Navrathri ? All I know is victory of good over evil, but what is exact story behind the 9 day celebrations ?

When exactly is the 1st.day of Navarathri this year, Oct. 3 or Oct. 4 ?

Thanks in advance,
Yamuna.

Oct 4. th

rsankar
30th September 2005, 12:38 PM
Hello R,

Congratulations on your thread becoming sticky.
:) keep up your good work.

Hello Dev, you are doing a good job. Thanks for this.

rsankar.

Seethab
5th October 2005, 12:29 AM
Hi R:
Wondering why you are missing in action? Its ok if you are busy with navarathri. Hope you are doing fine!!

Happy navaratri!!

Seetha

gv
5th October 2005, 02:10 AM
Hi R,

You are mssing for quite some time now. Is everything ok with you.

Take Care
GV

solona
11th October 2005, 03:07 AM
[tscii:b4acba4ef1]Hi all,

I'd like to share a few of our family receipes tested several times.

CHICKEN VINDALOO (GOANESE CHICKEN)
Chicken 1kg
Onions grated 2 cups (big cups)
Tomatos diced 1 cup
Garlic paste 3 tbs
Shombou 1 tsp
Cumin powder (Seeraga thool)4 tbspoons
Chilli powder 1tbspoon
Vineager 1 tablespoon
salt

Heat oil and season shombu (fennel) well add onions, sauté until transparent, add tomatos and sauté well until oil seperates and color changes to brownish red add garlic paste add bit of water and fry yet. Add the powdered spices adding a bit of more water until the masalas send a cooked aroma add chicken pieces and 1/2 cup of water cook the meat for about 1/4 hour (depends on the type of chicken used) when the meat is cooked add the vineager blend it to the gravy simmer for 1 minutes and serve hot with rice.

Milagou Erral

1 Kg of shelled cleaned prawns
onion grated 1 cup
tomato 1/2 cup
ginger garlic paste 2 tbs
pepper 2 tbs (increase qty if you want real hot)
Cumin powder 1tbs
Garam masala 1/2 tbs
fresh cream 1/2 cup
Mustard and oloutamparuppu 1tsp
Karuvepillai
salt

Fry mustard and uluthamparuppu in oil until they crack, add onions sauté a bit add tomatoes and sauté until oil seperates add gin&gar paste sauté after adding a bit of water and mash the mixture at the same time. Add the powdered spices, some water and simmer a bit for 2 minutes. Now add prawns cook and when the prawns are cooked add fresh cream leave 3 to 5 minutes for gravy to set and serve hot with rice.

Fish cutlets
Mackerel fish flesh (steamed with a bit of turmeric powder and cleaned without bones) 4 cups
Onions 1 cup
ginger garlic paste 1/4 cup
green chillies chopped as per your taste
Coriander leaves and laruvepillai 1 branch each chopped
1 egg
maida 1cup

mix the fish flesh with onions gin&gar paste, green chillies,salt, the spice leaves, add 1 egg and make a paste with your hand, make balls, flatten them coat a bit with maida and fry in a pan of oil ( as for fish varuval) until they are brown the either sides

If you like these receipes tell me I will post more

Solona[/tscii:b4acba4ef1]

Mrs.Mano
12th October 2005, 10:28 AM
Dear R!

My hearty Congratulations to you for the dedicated work you are keeping in this thread to make it a very nice one.

tomato
12th October 2005, 11:50 AM
Could someone repost the recipe of carrot burfi (two layered ) posted by R. I tried to search it but could not find it.

gvb
13th October 2005, 12:05 AM
Tomato Am not sure if this is what u had asked for.Anyways am posting a coconut carrot burfi which R had given.

For coconut burfi:

coconut grated 1 cup
milk 1 cup
sugar 3/4 to 1 cup

Now, for carrot burfi...

carrot grated 1 cup
milk 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup
sugar 1/2 cup

Heat a vanali add the mixture of coconut, milk and sugar. Keep stirring until it becomes very thick. For the sweetness, 3/4 cup is enough; but, if it comes out separately, have to add the remaining 1/4 cup(3/4 plus 1/4). Final result will come like a ball in the center which is the right time to pour onto the greased plate. Dont disturb it for some time.

Wash the vanali and heat the same. Add 2 tsp of ghee with carrot, saute them for 2 or 3 mts. Pour 1/2 cup of milk and when it all absorbed, check whether the carrot is cooked or not. If not, add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and stirring. It will be done before the milk got absorbed. Wait till the carrot absorbs all milk. Now, time to pour sugar.

Keep stirring till it forms like a ball in the center just like with coconut burfi. Once the ball is formed, pour the mixture on top of the coconut burfi and level it accordingly so that they both should be equal in size. When it is cold, cut down together.

Now, you get a 2 in 1 sweet with double colors and double taste. This is such a nice sweet where the kids will enjoy and also no ghee in it. Adding ghee or caradamom powder and nuts is upto you.

You can put carrot mixture at the bottom, and pour the coconut burfi on the top which will give the same taste.

shylaja
13th October 2005, 12:17 AM
hey any body mind to tell me how to make veg kurma plz?
thanks
shylaja

tomato
13th October 2005, 08:17 AM
Thanx a bunch gvb this is what I was looking for.

Urmila
15th October 2005, 01:18 AM
Hi R,
Hope you had a lovely dussehra . Why silent all these days ?
Like so many other hubbers, I am also awaiting your enthusiastic participation once again.
Hope things are well,
Regards,
Urmil.

Noodles
16th October 2005, 01:06 PM
hi R!

Could please post the pressure cooking tips on

Cooking Time, Grain/Water Ratio

for the following items:

RICE

DHAL/LENTIL

VEGETABLE

MEAT

Regards
Noodles

rain
17th October 2005, 10:29 PM
hello R,

tried ur pudina khuzambu.it had a nice and different taste.thanks for sharing ur recipes.

regards,
rain

Sowmya
24th October 2005, 09:02 PM
Hi all
I tried this recipe from Sanjeev kapoor's website and the taste was awesome.The use of cardamom & cinnamon gives a nice taste.

Here is the link

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/FreeSection/result.asp?passid=736

regards

vm
24th October 2005, 11:33 PM
Dear R,

Missing u and your recipes.Hope everything is ok

chamy
25th October 2005, 02:48 AM
Dear R !
Hope ur doing fine.Hoping to see u in full swing soon !
Regards Foodlover.

minir
4th November 2005, 02:16 AM
HAI,

I JOINED THE FORUM RECENTLY.ALL OF YOU R DOING FABULOUS WORK.IT'S AMAZING!!! THE EFFORT U TAKE TO POST THE RECIPES....REALLY GR8!!!

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO GET MRS REVATHY SHANMUGHAM'S RECIPES.CAN ANYONE SEND IT TO minikr@rediffmail.com..thanks,bye