PDA

View Full Version : Music Director Raveendran Passed Away

nkv
3rd March 2005, 05:41 PM
Friends,
Let me share this moment of acute grief for malayalam music lovers. Raveendran master, easily one of the best MDs ever in Malayalam died today in Chennai. He was suffering from throat cancer.

In tamil, he has given music to 'Rasikan Oru Rasikai' (Paadi Azhaithen, Ezhisai Geethame), 'Lakshmi Vanthachu' etc.

He nearly was to MFM, what Ilayaraja is to TFM. He was one single MD in malayalam, on whose name alone, the cassettes/CDs used to sell like hot cakes.

His Highness Abdulla(Pramadavanam), Bharatham(Ramakatha), Thenum Vayambum, Kamaladalam, Nandanam, Kanmadam, Ayal Kathayezhuthukayanu, Sukhamo Devi, Kaliyil Alpam Karyam etc etc..
many mallu movies were blessed with his divine movies..

He was one unique MD who effortlessly merged the essence of carnatic music with the light music.

Let us pray for his soul..

Nikhil.

eden
3rd March 2005, 08:03 PM
Sad indeed...heartfelt condolences...

vijayr
3rd March 2005, 09:13 PM
A shocker indeed. I know a few who would carry His Highness Abdullah, Bharatham etc. to their graves. I believe he was quite prolific even recently. I didnt know about his state of health. His classics will live on. I guess the whole MFM industry must be shaken up.

Nitya
3rd March 2005, 09:21 PM
Holy S**T!! I haven't even heard about his health! I feel truly awful! And I thought he would still be around when I get into the movie industry! No!! I just can't express myself any way other than this: :banghead:

Nitya
3rd March 2005, 09:27 PM
Actually, it was God's plan. Only the body died; the soul will live on and on and on, and so will the music... And there... there goes one of my idols... :'(((

AV
3rd March 2005, 10:14 PM
Deepest condolences. Raveendran's knowledge of music and the depth of his classical songs remain unparalleled. His passing away is a permanent loss to all lovers of good music.

madhu
3rd March 2005, 10:29 PM
Heartfelt condolences.. Very sorry to hear this news...

Guess_Me
3rd March 2005, 10:29 PM
Recently Raveendran master was sufferring in the industry due to some mediocre albums like "Greetings". But he came back to form roaring with Mohanlal's "Vadakkumnathan" in which all the songs turned out to be good. He showed the world that he can still do another Bharatham or Kamaladalam and left with pride.

My deepest condolences.

jaiganes
4th March 2005, 11:01 AM
Having been through nitya's posts on the works of Raveendran, I had become an admirer of this musical genius. It is a pity that two legends, Pugazaendhi and Raveendran should choose to leave us so suddenly and successively. I am terriblely saddened. :cry:

rajeshkrv
4th March 2005, 11:56 AM
It's very sad that Raveendran master is no more.

The soul which made many souls rest in peace(at heart) may now rest in peace

listen to his composition

http://tfmpage.com/stream/ifm/hrudayageethamai.rm

jeeves
4th March 2005, 12:31 PM
My deepest condolences to his family and his fans.

crvenky
5th March 2005, 10:37 AM
Though I have not heard his songs much, I salute his genious. My heartfelt sympathies.

Ravi_odiyur
7th March 2005, 02:12 PM
A news item from chennaionline.com :

Music director Ravindran cremated

Chennai, March 4: The body of Malayalam music director M Ravindran, who passed away yesterday, was cremated at suburban Porur this evening.

The last rites were performed at an electric crematorium by his sons Sajan (also a music director), Rajan and Naveen Madhav, a singer.

Prominent among those who attended the cremation were music directors M S Viswanathan, Ouseppachan, Vidyadaran Master, Sarat and Rajamani, film directors Sasikumar, Hariharan, playback singers S Janaki, K S Chitra, M G Sreekumar and Sujatha.

Lyricists S Rameshan Nair, Kaithapram Damodaran Namboodhiri and Girish Puthencherry also paid their last respects.

Raghu_Mallu
7th March 2005, 08:22 PM
many of his songs cud only be sung by a genius like Yesudas..
there are 3 wonderful songs in Vadakkumnathan, his latest film..
he gave mind blowing jusic in films like nandanam,miahi randilum etc and was on his way of a superb comeback thro' vadakkumnathan..
the cassettes of vadakkum nathan has been selling like hot cakes for the last 2 months..
real tragedy.........:(...

Nitya
9th March 2005, 05:55 AM
I wonder what Ravindran's son Saajan has done thus far in terms of music composing.

Ravi_odiyur
9th March 2005, 01:40 PM
Another Article on MusicIndiaonline :

Last 'rustic' note laid to rest with Ravindran

New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) The death of popular music composer Ravindran has abruptly ended hopes of pure melody returning to Malayalam films.

Ravindran, 61, died at his Chennai residence Thursday, leaving scores of his fans desolate.

Ravindran, who composed music for 2,000 films and bagged a national award for the Malayalam film "Bharatham" apart from several state awards, was considered an icon who pursued the trends that began in the late 1970s which involved the fusion of Western, Indian and Kerala folk music.

Despite being an early proponent of this fusion, Ravindran had held on to the rusticity for which Malayalam film music was always known.

Born in Kollam in 1943, he studied music at the Swathi Thirunal School of Music in Thiruvananthapuram and in the late 1960s left for Chennai to make a career in music.

Though his first film as an independent music director was "Choola" in 1979, "Thenum Vayambhum", starring the legendary Malayalam hero Prem Nazir in 1981, announced his arrival with all its songs going on to become all-time hits.

Ravindran's career took the highest trajectory with "Vasantha Geethangal" - an album produced by veteran singer K.J. Yesudas in the early 80s.

A song from the album - "Mamankam palakuri kondaadi" - serenaded an entire generation of Malayalees as it eulogised the natural beauty and culture of Kerala.

Though relatively less complex than the other compositions in the album like "Valampiri Shankhil" and "Arayanname", "Mamankam..." was more popular with the masses.

The album was perhaps one of the earliest attempts at fusion music in Kerala. The use of electronic instruments in the album, though not new to Malayalam music then, was definitely a bold move.

Ravindran was instrumental in moulding the career of award-winning playback singer K.S. Chithra.

He advised her in 1982 to seek a career in Chennai. None other than Chitra, apart from Yesudas, could have done better justice to Ravindran's muse.

Ravindran said in a TV interview a few years back: "Chitra has got divine blessings. Only a few artistes give more than what I ask for. Das-ettan (Yesudas) and Chitra are among them."

In fact, Yesudas himself is said to have admitted that Ravindran was the most difficult and demanding music director he had ever worked with.

Ravindran composed some of the most difficult songs, in terms of pitch and complexity of notes, sung by Yesudas.

Be it the high-voltage "Shree Lathikakal" from Venu Nagavalli's "Sukhamo Devi" (1986) or the serpentine "Arayanname" or even "Harimuraliravam" from Shaji Kailash's "Aaram Thampuran" (1997), they all showcased Yesudas' range.

Ravindran's mastery over rhythm was apparent in most of his songs, which saw changes in cadence very often and in the style of O.P. Nayyar, the veteran Bollywood music director.

Ravindran's songs merged the best of classical notes with popular tastes, thus providing the singers a chance to bring a roller-coaster effect to the songs.

He was also a genius at channelising folk music into film songs. The song "Kasthuri Ente Kasthuri" from film director Kamal's "Vishnulokam" (1990) was perhaps one of the first songs to be composed on the lines of the "theru koothu" or street dance, famous in Tamil Nadu.

The current crop of "koothu" songs like "Pacha Maanga" and "Kanni Maasam" are a far cry from the original - both in terms of mass appeal and depth.

The same can be said about "Pulari Poonthoniyil" or even "Azhake..." from the award winning "Amaram" (1991) by the late Bharathan.

Ravindran even managed to pay tribute to the vintage era of theatre music through his "Pathu Veluppinu, Mutathu Nilkana" from another of Bharathan's masterpieces "Venkalam" (1993).

But it was left to another genius film director, Sibi Malayil, to bring out arguably the best of Ravindran with "His Highness Abdullah" (1990). The movie's song "Pramadhavanam Veendum", with its unbridled flow backed by actor Mohan Lal's brilliant performance, became an all-time classic.

"His Highness..." also saw the only jugalbandi in Malayalam music between Carnatic and Hindustani genres through the song "Devasabhathalam", sung by Yesudas, Sujith and Ravindran himself.

It would not be wrong to say that Ravindran's music had a major role to play in the rise of actor Mohan Lal in the late 80s and early 90s as almost all the hit movies of the actor were music-dominated. Be it "Vishnulokam", "His Highness..." or "Bharatham" - all had the Ravindran touch.

One of Ravindran's later films, "Nandanam", partially succeeded in bringing back the industry from the brink of mediocrity.

He may have breathed his last but his melodies will continue to echo in Kerala's lush groves, the lap of its backwaters and the heart of the Malayalee.

crvenky
9th March 2005, 03:40 PM
Ravindran mach composed for 2000 films? Is it factual?

pskumar
10th March 2005, 04:41 AM
It's coming close to one week since his sudden departure - but for MFM/TFM fans this is a terrible tragedy. He had a lot more to offer to his devoted fans, but fate has taken him away so quickly.

I don't know how the legendary singer Dr. Yesudas is dealing with Raveedran's sudden demise. It must be really hard on him, Chitra, Sujatha and everyone else in the MFM industry who owe a great deal to Raveendran. He was a genius in every way. He layered his music - starting with the base (foundation) steeped in semi-classical ragas. He built on top incredible melodies, beautiful orchestration (listen to the songs of Nandanam, Amaram, Rajashilpi, Chiriyo Chiri numerous other films) bringing in the best singers of MFM and letting them sing their hearts out. Every one of his songs were superbly recorded and with god's grace these will last for several decades.

Yesudas and Raveendran were like brothers. Even in looks - sometimes it was hard to distinguish. One would start a sentence and the other would finish the topic. Following Yesudas from the Swathi Thirunal Academy in Thiruvananthapuram and rendering Yesu's own songs at several ganamelas throughout Kerala in the 1960's - Raveendran came to Chennai to seek his fortune. Bitterly disappointed after several attempts to step into the shoes of Yesudas, Jayachandran (or at least be the third male singer), he left for a short stint in the Middle East. He mentioned in several articles that hunger, poverty and abject dispair drove him away. Again bitten by the music within his soul - he returned back to Chennai to try his luck as a singer. Again ..he was turned down time after time. He started singing in choruses and did dubbing work for other movie artistes to sustain himself. By then he had come to meet and know Yesudas better. He implored again...but luck was running out. Then it struck on him that he should try his hand as music director. Yesudas could not back out ..and finally recommended him to a producer. It seems the producer said "if you (Yesudas) is backing this man..I will take him. If the songs are bad..you will sing and re-record it again for me". Yesudas agreed and this is how Raveendran became a music director for the movie "Choola" in 1979. Two songs - "Tharake Mizhiyil Kaneerum (Yesudas)" and "Sindoora Sandhyakku Maunam (Yesudas and Janaki) " were very different than the typical MFM songs. People accepted Raveendran. It is said that MD Illaiyaraja upon hearing the "Tharake" song remarked to Raveendran that till this song none of the South Indian MD's had fully exploited Yesudas's melliflous deep bass voice like Raveendran. Deeply boldened he embarked on a crusade to create and record the most difficult songs for Yesudas. It was a tussle between the singer and the music director. Raveendran created tough melodies thinking that one of these songs would stump the legendary singer. Yesudas always came through remarkably. Raveendran remarked later that recording with Yesudas was incredible. The singer always exceeded the Music Director's expectations - and went beyond to bring the melody and the charm of Raveendra Sangeetham out. Every movie since the early 1980's would have one or two semi-classical toughies for Yesudas. People in Kerala and I suppose most of India were enthralled by their union of music. If there is a comparison to this brotherhood of music - it would be between Naushad and Mohd Rafi. This is a very high compliment to Raveendran and his association with singer Yesudas. The only other instance that I can compare to is that between Lata Mangeshkar and Music Director Madan Mohan. One can imagine and can still hear the haunting songs that Lata sang for Madan Mohan. Let us hope that Raveendran's music would be listened to by music lovers all over India, because it is truly remarkable.

Yesudas in a written tribute to Raveendran last Friday mentioned that the thrill that he had when he heard "Pramadavanam" from Raveendran was beyond description. He was mesmerized and still is from this song. Yesudas mentions that at many recordings - Raveendran would come close to him just before the final recording and whisper in his ear - "Dasettan, I have created this song for you. The orchestra is ready. You can take it away..and soar like a bird..fly away and come back. We will be waiting here". I don't have to elaborate here about the songs of His Highness Abdullah, Bharatham and Kamaladhalam. Numerous awards have been given to these songs. But also listen to Raveendran's songs from Chiriyo Chiri, Thenum Vayambum, Tharatte, Amaram, Rajashilpi, Soorya Gayatri, Kanmadham, Ayaal Kadhayezhuthukayannu, Mazhayattu Munpe, Mazha, Venkalam, Ezhuthachan and many ..many more films.

Last but not least, listen to his "Hari Muraleeravum" from Aaram Thamburan. A nine minute masterpiece sung by Yesudas for Mohanlal.... it is beyond description. SPB even today raves whenever this song is mentioned. He was a big fan of Raveendran. So..was MSV and many other Tamil music directors.

I hope music lovers will listen to some of Raveendran's songs at www.musicindiaonline.com or other music websites. Listen to Chitra singing a soulful keerthanam "Kalabham Tharam Bhagavane..Manassum Tharam" from the new movie "Vadakkum Nadan" starring Mohanlal. It is really stirring and will bring tears to one's eyes.

I think the title of a recent article says it all very appropriately "Last Rustic Notes Laid to Rest by Raveendran" - referring to the melodies that he created for MFM fans keeping Kerala's distinct traditions of poetry and good music alive.

Ravi_odiyur
10th March 2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks pskumar for the lovely write-up. Though I have always enjoyed MFM (inspite of not being from Kerala), I never knew much about the music directors. It was thru' TFMpage that I came to know more about Raveendran and it happened that many of the soul-stirring songs which I had enjoyed in the past were composed by Raveendran. I always used to feel that MFM = Melody (ofcouse, maybe not now) and most of Raveendran's score clearly had that 'stamp' - the current proportion of melody, classical and light music. Reading thru' the Yesudas-Raveendran bondage was very interesting - seemed like they were 'made-for-each-other' for music. As many here remarked, Raveendran will continue to be amidst us thru' his music.

vijayr
10th March 2005, 08:34 PM
pskumar, informative writeup and a good tribute, thanks

mexicomeat
16th March 2005, 06:20 PM
was he the MD for 'vedam pudhithu' (or) was it v l narashiman?

rajdes
21st March 2005, 03:37 PM
neither. it was Devendran

Raghu
21st March 2005, 08:48 PM
heartfelt condolences..., :cry: :cry: may his athma atain Mukthi. He was a Class md, his two films (that I know of in Tamil) like V.Puthithu And Rasigan Oru Rasgai were sema hits,his 'Ezhisai geethame' by the great Dr.KJY and 'Kanukuzh nooru nilava' by the greatest Dr.SPB is just awsome.

I think he composed for a Sri Lankan Tamil movie last year

nkv
23rd March 2005, 03:52 PM
Ravindran's Tamil movies are

1. Rasikan Oru rasigai
2. Hemavin Kaathalargal - Not released - one SPB song 'Paarvai Theril'
3. Lakshmy Vanthachu
4. Kanmaniye Pesu
5. Thaaye Neeye Thunai
6. ???

Vedam Puthithu is not by Ravindran, its Devendran