PDA

View Full Version : Specifications for Ordering a Mridangam

jayiyengar
7th March 2005, 07:40 AM
Qn: I am planning on ordering a Mridangam on a Bombay based Musical Store - Bhargava Musicals
http://www.bhargavamusicals.com/percussioninst.htm
I am in the US. I intend to play typically for female, carnatic music vocalists. Could someone tell me what would be the specification that I must give to the music store ? Pls indicate suggestions for the case, accessories too.

sunayanaa
28th March 2005, 04:30 AM
Since you will be playing for ladies, you are looking for a mrudangam around sruthi of 5 or 5.5 (may be 5.5 as over a period of time, it will tend to come down)

It should be made of jack-wood or red-wood. Ensure the straps that hold together are made of leather.

A rexin carry bag and a cloth based (jazzy) inner cover for the mrudangam also required.

Hope you have tuning accessories. If not , you need a oval shaped smooth stone (big pebble) of the size of an orange or a hammer. Also a few wooden blocks (pieces of bamboo sticks) of length 7 cm each for sruthi tuning and tightening the leather straps that hold together the left and the right sides.

tongue_twister
18th April 2005, 11:58 AM
Well you also need to specify whether you need kaddi or kappi.. I think it is called Kutchi or Kappi in Tamil.....

unni
1st June 2005, 04:02 PM
does anyone know where i can buy a kutchi mridangam real cheap in the U.S...preferably used a few years so it'a already in tune and etc...please help