PDA

View Full Version : Karnataka Recipes!!

Oldposts
7th March 2005, 08:44 PM
Topic started by CI (@ p25213.cl.uh.edu) on Mon Jul 15 16:11:44 .

Hi all, I am inviting you to post your favorite karnataka recipes here. Keep checking this thread for some of the recipes from me.

Oldposts
Old responses (http://forumhub.com/southfood/2332.10360.16.11.44.html)

Oldposts
hello all, this is the first time i am requesting on this site....can any one tell me how to prepare "malke huli saaru"...it is done with kaala channa(that is the name written on the packet), i think it is also called as kaalu saaru. Please let me know, I am trying to search its receipe from past a year.

Oldposts
thanks ashwini
cud anyone plz send the recipe for thondekaayi palya other than jus frying kind....

Oldposts
Hi
Does anyone know how to make "nucchinna unde"...couldn't find anything on google

Oldposts
Mitha, uses mexican tortilla press for tortillas, among other things..makes a nice round circle if the dough is soft enough, though a bit thick for my liking..a couple rolls with the rolling pin and it is just as I like it...

Will save you a bit of work, though the product will still need a bit of hand work to get it perfect...

Oldposts
nucchinna unde

Hi Manju
this is my mum's style
1 cup = thoor daal or thogari bele
1/2 cup = channa daal or kadale bele
(some people will do only in channa daal)
soak for about 4 hrs and coarse grind (towards softer side not very coarse also)with little water and green chillies.

to this add grated coconut, jeera, curry leaves, corriander leaves, salt and may be one pinch soda (soda is optional)
mix everything and make small oval/round balls
and steam cook for about 7-8 mins.

take it out and it's ready to eat.

it goes well with mor kuzhambu or majjige huli.

hope you will like it.

bye

Oldposts
thanks suma, i was away for sometime. iwill try and let you know.

Oldposts
hi, can anyone please give the recipe for the traditional avarekayi saaru...
thanx

Oldposts
Folks,
Can somebody help me out with recipe for Tomato Gojju and Beans Palya? Thanks.

-Rudresh

Oldposts
sunil and dangermouse,
I feel the same about tamil nadu and kerala food.It just stinks.no flavour,nothing at all.and if u r a kannadiga and hate karnataka food,then definitely there is something wrong with the cooking done at ur home.

Oldposts
hey! can anybody tell me how to do hulitovve.

Oldposts
Great Job everyone! I am so happy to see karnataka recipies here.
Can any of you give the recipe for 'Badam Puri'. Thanks
ss

Oldposts
Great Job everyone! I am so happy to see karnataka recipies here.
Can any of you give me the recipe for 'Badam Puri'. Thanks
ss

Oldposts
http://www.malasa.com/cookbook/Sweets/Badampuri.htm

Oldposts
hi to all i would love the recipe for the spinich and goat cheese i cant remember the name of it but i love it so much. and also tandori chicken. thank you all

Oldposts
Does anyone know where we can get marati moggu in new jersey?

Oldposts
can some one give me avarekai uppittu recipe?

Oldposts
Hi suma,

Avarekai uppittu--- Balu ruchi

Avarekalu, biduskondu- boil it, and keep it aside.

usual uppittige, ogarene ( seasoning),
Main ingredient here is, Menasu ( black pepper).
grind it roughly, and add it to the ogarne, and add water, to this water add the boiled avarekai and then your uppit rave or sooji.
ur uppit is ready.

Ofcourse Ingredients are green chilli, ginger, corriander,
for seasoning add channa dhal, moong dhal, mustard, hing a little, salt.

Hope u know which to put when ?. just kidding

Let me know where u get Avarekai now , even i was searching for it last month.

thanks and good luck

Oldposts
hi,
Can anyone tell me how to prepare akki kadubu(rice kadabu), This is what I ate in mangalore, we get it in bangalore also. There is no filling in it, and it is steamed, and is eaten with chutney.

Oldposts
Hi suma,

You get avarekaayi, in the frozen section in all indian groceries.

Oldposts
Hi,
Could you tell me the items we make for GANESHA HABBA
and also their recipes. I wanted to make them all. Thanks. Since I am away from my favorite place Bangalore, I will miss waking up in the morning to hear the "jagamukanayae ganapathyae ninagaye vandhanay" song and other ganapathy songs that are played loudly. I love num oru bangalore.

Oldposts
Hi Ashwini,

I am not sure if this is what your looking for. soak rice (brown) overnight. grind it the next day with very little water. add a little coconut either while grinding or later mix it. the batter should be thick like chapati atta. Make small balls and press slightly with your finger in the center. steam this for 20 mts. Serve it with chutney or and Fish/ Chicken curry.

Oldposts
hi arundhati ,
happy Ganesha Gowri hubba. nice to know u miss bangalore-- me too.
what all u want to make ?
sweets few, muruku, kadubu main.
kosumbari, 2 palyas, kootu, saru, majjige huli, paysa ele konege, ambode, tavve.

if u want some more u can do.

good luck

Oldposts
Do anyone know how to prepare Palyada Pudi used in side dishes. Especially tastes good for combination of Brinjal and Potato palya.

Oldposts
hi guys

iam here for the first time. Can anyone gimme the recipe for dilkush or dilpasand that we get in bakeries in bangalore just the filling they use atleast pls!

Oldposts
I just happened to visit this site. I loved the karnataka thread. I am so surprised by the ignorance and the audacity of some person called "Sunil or dangermouse" of saying such nasty things about karnataka. I am proud to be a kannadiga and I have a little bit of advice to you. If you can't appreciate our style of food, just keep your so-called opinions to yourself and frame them. You cannot base your nasty comments on some canteen food. Please try to keep this thread lively.

Oldposts
avarekayi = papdi lilva

You will see it in the Indian grocery stores in
frozen section and also in tins (Ashoka brand i guess)

Oldposts
can anyone give me a recipe for chappardavarekayi?

Oldposts
please send recipfor neerdosai

Oldposts
There was some mention about pomegranate rice earlier. I have seen pomegranates in the stores for about 4 for $5 mayben 99c each. If possible do post the recipe.
Pomegranate rice sounds interesting. wondering how it would taste

Oldposts
hi my name is roopashri,
i happened to come across this forum..and it was nice to know that there is such a forum for kannadigas..thumbha khusiagathe ..i miss bangalore so much..and i am from malleswaran..and i miss 8th cross so much...
i also wanted to know if any one could give me the recepie for kootu..

Oldposts
Hi all,
If anyone happens to know how to prepare Kajjaya, please let me know in detail. I have never tried this, I'm planning on doing for the coming Deepavali.

-Thanks,
Gauri.

Oldposts
Hi Banumathi,
For neerdosai You have to just soak dosa rice for 1 hr and grind to a fine liquid batter. you can add a handfull of grated coconut (optional).add salt.
the batter should be very thin. just take a pan and spread some oil (like you do for other dosas.)
splash some batter on the hot pan. close and cook for a couple of minutes. serve with chutney/curry.
neer dosa is very thin and lacy. do not pour the batter like you spread the urad dhal dosa, you have to just splash the batter on the tawa.

Oldposts
Hello All,

Does anybody know where do we get OBATTU in NJ.
I would appreciate any input.
Thanks in Advance,
Kaushik

Oldposts
Try south indian specialty at Oak tree road, Iselin, NJ.
<a name="last"></a>

deepali128
8th March 2005, 12:18 AM
hi friends,

once i ate bisibele rice (i don't know the exact spelling) it was awsome. still today i can remember the taste... but i don't know the receipe of it. if anyone knows the detailed receipe pls post it. as i am not a south indian i don't the receipes of south indian masalas .thanking u in advance

R
8th March 2005, 04:00 PM
Hi CI and others,

Though CI does not visit this site nowadays, shd thank her for the greatest tamarind rice recipe.

Recently, there was a function at my house and prepared the above recipe; all my friends could not resist from it. Good thing made a lot, so everyone too some pulikaichal with them. They all said that this taste was so unique though my friends are really good in cooking.

thanks CI once again for sharing such a great recipe.

Bye.

MysoreHudugi
22nd May 2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys,
I had to create a new id to start using this forum. I am glad that someone requested this thread to be moved to the new hub.

Thanks to that person. I hope to participate now and then though not like before.

CI.

Seethab
23rd May 2005, 01:25 AM
Congrats to the new mommy!! Welcome back CI. Missed your recipes.

Seetha

gkals
23rd May 2005, 02:05 AM
Hi r,

Can u please post CI recipe of pulikachal and tamrind rice?.When ever i try this rice i end up in a big mess.After reading ur posting my mouth is watering.Can u please post the recipe.Thanks in advance.
love from
kals

Nichiro
23rd May 2005, 06:57 AM
Hello CI (Mysore Malligai)

You know, you were missed here.
I would prefer to call you Mysore-Malligai :lol:,

Now the fabric of different cuisines from south seems almost complete.
Welcome back.

Nichiro (Hemant)

NOV
24th May 2005, 06:55 AM
OK Tomato, as per your request, this thread has been sanitized.
Enjoy!

tomato
24th May 2005, 12:45 PM
Thank you very much NOV.

rsankar
24th May 2005, 01:09 PM
There was some mention about pomegranate rice earlier. I have seen pomegranates in the stores for about 4 for $5 mayben 99c each. If possible do post the recipe.
Pomegranate rice sounds interesting. wondering how it would taste

Hello,

This is Mrs. Mallika's recipes. Hope you'll enjoy.

Maadhulam pazha saadham (Pomegranate Rice)

Ingredients :

Basmathi rice (good quality) - 1 Cup

Pomegranate fruit (small size,) - 1

Green Chillies - 4

Red chillies - 3

Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp

Curry leaves some

oil - 2 tbls

salt to taste

coriander leaves some

for seasoning

mustard - 1/4 tsp
urad dal - 1/2 tsp
channa dal - 1/2 tsp

Method :

1. Cook rice. Spread it on a plate to cool.

2. Peel the Pomegranate fruit, and take out the seeds.

3. Juice them, and filter. (We want the pomegranate juice only)

4. Heat oil in a kadai, temper with mustard seeds, and 2 dals, when they become light brown colour you've to add curry leaves, cashews, broken red chillies, sliced green chillies.

5. when they fry well, then add with rice.

6. you'll have to boil pomegranate juice for 2 minutes only, not too long.

7. After 2 minutes add rice and salt, and mix well (Low flame) until the juice is dissolve.

8. Finaly add coriander leaves.

Enjoy.

rsankar.

Sowmya
24th May 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi
I have prepared this rice before and I liked the taste.It was some thing a little different.
Please make sure the pomegranites you use are really ripe. :)

Regards
Sowmya

MysoreHudugi
24th May 2005, 06:33 PM
Hi Rsankar,
Thanks for the recipe. My (our) version of pomogranate rice is a little different even though not too much.

You need a sour pomogranate. Take out the seeds and sprinkle some salt and cover and keep them. They will leave their juice. After say about half hour later, squeeze with the hand or use a mortel to mash them lightly so that you get the entire juice.

For masala, you will have to roast red chillies with methi seeds. Just a tea spoon of methi seeds will do. After roasting, grind them without water with grated coconut to which hing and haldi are added.

Keep this paste as a heap on the spread and cooled rice in the middle and pour pomogranate juice on it.

Now, season with oil, mustard seeds, broken red chillies, kadi patta and lots of peanuts. Pour this hot oil on the heap of the ground paste. Mix well and check for salt. This has to be made atleast 2 hours before it is served. We don't season with dals but you might use it. And we don't add cilanthro either.

It is my version and try it out if you like.

CI.

MysoreHudugi
24th May 2005, 07:09 PM
Tomato and NOV,
I meant to ask you earlier. What is sanitizing this thread means?

CI.

Pooh
24th May 2005, 07:23 PM
thanks for the pomegranate rice.

gvb
24th May 2005, 07:36 PM
Hi CI
What Nov meant by Sanitizing is that a lot of unnecessary stuff that was posted in this thread had been removed ..

MysoreHudugi
24th May 2005, 07:58 PM
GVB,
Thanks for the Info.

CI.

khushi
24th May 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi CI,

Welcome back !!!
I'm so glad that you are back.
Hope you are enjoying the motherhood.
Do you have a boy or a girl?

-Regards,
Khushi.

MysoreHudugi
24th May 2005, 08:20 PM
Hi Khushi,
I have a baby girl.

Thanks,
CI.

rsankar
25th May 2005, 12:44 PM
Thankyou sowmya,

Friends, I forgot to say pomegranites must be ripe .

rsankar.

tomato
25th May 2005, 01:32 PM
Hello Mysore girl,
Fellow hubbers always praised ur recipe of puliogere.
I like your signature line. :)
Do share with us some recipes of 'kosumbaris' and 'mosaru bhajji'. I had a chance to taste potato mosaru bhajji at one of my friend's place long back, but not sure of the recipe. Can u help me on this?

Sowmya
25th May 2005, 06:17 PM
Hi CI
Tomato is right... Your signature is unique and it makes sound sense...
It's the optimistic version of "A bad worker blames his tools"
Cheers
Sowmya

MysoreHudugi
25th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Tomato, Sowmya,
I never thought my signature would get me a compliment.

Thanks for that. I have couple of friends who keep on asking the same questions about cooking at least 100 times. They tell me they did not get the same taste as it was when they ate at my place. It shouldn't even be the same taste since person who made it is different. They cannot understand that. That's what made me put that signature.

Tomato, I will post some mosaru bajjis for you when I find some time.

CI.

MysoreHudugi
26th May 2005, 12:42 AM
Tomato,
Here is the recipe for Mosaru Bajji.

You can use potato, egg plant, tomato, cucumber for this dish.

If you are using potato, boil them with skin and remove the skin and crush coarsely. If you use egg plant, burn the skin all over on the gas and then microwave for about 5 minutes. Skin will come off and then you can mash the egg plant. In India, traditionally, this is done entirely (cooking egg plant process) on charcoal. Tomatoes, just blanch them well and remove the skin and mash them. Cucumber - you just need to cut into small pieces.

You will need yogurt, two to three broken red chillies, couple of green chillies cut very finely (only if you want it to be hot), hing, mustard, cilanthro and curry leaves, a tablespoon of oil.

Heat oil, season with mustard, hing, curry leaves. Pour it on prepared vegetable. If you are using green chillies, add the cut chillies to the vegetable. Add finely cut cilanthro to the veg mix and add salt according to taste. Finally add yogurt and mix well. This is the version of mosaru bajji we make at home.

The same thing if you add ground paste of green chillies, coconut, haldi and a tsp of mustard seeds (raw), it will become mosaru pachadi.

Some people prefer to garnish mosaru bajji with grated coconut, if you do that, there will be very less difference between pachadi and bajji.

This is just my version.

CI.

rsankar
26th May 2005, 03:10 AM
Hi suma,

Avarekai uppittu--- Balu ruchi

Avarekalu, biduskondu- boil it, and keep it aside. thanks and good luck

Hello,
Could you anyone please translate this dish to pure english? I don't know the ingredients name in kannada.

rsankar.

MysoreHudugi
26th May 2005, 03:24 AM
Hi RSankar,
Avarekayi is avarekayi in Tamil also. You can get papdi (valore and lilva) in frozen section. What they mean in the posting is it is very tasty, seperate the seeds (as we get whole ones in India), boil it and use it. Let me know if you need the recipe for upma (Uppittu in Kannada) using this.

CI.

rsankar
26th May 2005, 03:29 AM
Hello CI,

This is quick reply. thankyou.

But in this recipe how much pepper....sorry to say this CI, I don't understand this recipe. If you have time, please could you let me know the step by step method.

And I'm living in UK.

Thanks in advance.

rsankar.

rsankar
26th May 2005, 03:37 AM
Hello CI,

Have you posted your recipes (long ago) here? ...... I didn't see anything now. When R mention about your Tamarind recipe, then I know you have posted some.

If you have, please post these here again.

Thanks in advance.

rsankar.

MysoreHudugi
26th May 2005, 03:55 AM
Hi RSankar,
I had posted lots of recipes. I don't know why they are not here. I have not saved them. So, don't know how to get them back.

I will post the avarekayi uppittu recipe soon.

Bye,
CI.

MysoreHudugi
26th May 2005, 03:58 AM
Hi again RSankar,
I found out how to get the old responses. Go to the first page of this thread and in the second or third post, there is old responses with a hyperlink. Click on it and you will get all the recipes I had posted. It was more than a year ago.

Bye,
CI.

Kavitha Ravi
26th May 2005, 04:47 AM
Dear Nichiro San,
My MIL'S file shows that there was a thread called Kerala thread.
It's contributor was Madam Chitra.
It would be nice if anyone can apporach her to continue the thread.
It's nice to have CI back.

Welcome CI.
Congrats on your new arrival CI

Kavitha Ravi

rsankar
26th May 2005, 01:59 PM
Ok, and thanks CI.

rsankar.

niche
27th May 2005, 11:46 AM
can anybody give me the recipe for palyada pudi pls..tks
uma

tomato
28th May 2005, 07:07 AM
Hi Mysorehudugi,

Tried 'Mosaru bhajji' with potatoes. Came out really well. Will try with others veggies too. Do post some 'payasa' or sweet recipes as and when u have the time.

MysoreHudugi
1st June 2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Tomato,
Thanks for the feedback.

CI.

rsankar
2nd June 2005, 02:49 AM
Hello,

Tried Tamarind rice and came out superb :thumbsup:

Thank you CI and R, for sharing this great recipe to us :) .

My variation

1. I used white sesame seeds as R's tips.

2. Didn't use any sambar or rasam powder.

3. About Jaggery, I used 1/2 quantity as in tamarind. Because, we don't use jaggery in this Tamarind Rice, not that I know of.

Please do post your great recipes here CI.

Thanks
rsankar.

niche
2nd June 2005, 08:17 AM
Hi CI or anyone pls,
give me the recipe of palyada pudi
tks
uma

khushi
8th June 2005, 10:09 PM
CI,
Can you please post the recipe of Tomato Bath? Thanks !!

-Regards,
Khushi.

shreya23
8th June 2005, 11:37 PM
pls can someone give me the khara bhat recipe(banglorean version)which we get in those iyengar hotels?
shreya

MysoreHudugi
9th June 2005, 03:11 AM
Hi,

Khara Bhath is similar to how we make upma except that you are making it with rice and there are some variations.

For tadka, use broken red chillies, chana dal, urad dal, mustard, hing (optional), curry leaves and cashew nuts. Add vegetables and a little bit of haldi and let them cook well. Add salt and sambar powder. Sambar powder is the main ingredient which gives khara here. Add cooked, cooled, seperated rice and mix well. Add some grated coconut for extra taste. You can omit it if you wish. Traditional khara bhath does not have garnish of cilanthro. But, you can use it to make it more colorful.

Traditional khara bhath is served after squeezing fresh lime.

Hope this helps.

CI.

MysoreHudugi
9th June 2005, 03:30 AM
Hi,

I do not know how this is made traditionally. I have eaten at least 10 varieties of this dish.

My favorite version is as follows:

Heat oil, add mustard, green chillies, curry leaves, sliced garlic (optional), peanuts in the order. Add chopped onions and once they are cooked, add good amount of chunks of tomato. (Do not cut them into fine pieces) Add haldi and a tsp of Rasam powder or sambar powder and salt to taste. Once tomatoes are cooked, add cooked, cooled and seperated rice and mix well. Garnish with cut coriander leaves.

Some people do not use onion at all. Just tomatoes. You can try that one too. Best tomato for this dish is the jam tomatoes or roma tomatoes which do not have too much of water. Make sure that tomatoes are not very ripe otherwise, there will be too much of water content in them and the final output will be a little soggy rice.

Hope this helps.

CI.

khushi
9th June 2005, 07:45 PM
CI,
Thanks for the recipe but this is same as Tomato Chitranna right?
I was actually looking for Tomato bath recipe? I'm under the impression, they both are different.

-Regards,
Khushi.

tomato
24th June 2005, 09:08 AM
Heard of ragi rotti. Could CI or anyone else post the recipe pls. Also pls post the recipe of the chutney that goes with it.

There is an old kannada song 'Ragi rotti, ucchal chutney thande mammagane..........' What is ucchal chutney?

napolims445
24th June 2005, 09:45 AM
Here is the link about the uchellu/huchellu/gurellu/karellu -
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1898&start=0

Uchellu....is a kind of seed from which they make podi.

I'm yet to shop for these seeds in stores here- in PETCO/PETSMART
because this a bird food here :cry: ...As discussed in the thread i mentioned apparently they are called niger or thistle seeds.

If u r interested in its recipe i could give it to u.

tomato
24th June 2005, 03:25 PM
Hello napolims,
Now I do recollect that u were searching for these 'karalu hindi'.
Well I don't think I can find those seeds here in Singapore, so its ok. I wouldn't like you to waste ur time posting a recipe which I can't possibly make. But I do get ragi flour, bajra flour here. If u know any recipe using these pls do post them.

rsankar
27th September 2005, 02:02 PM
Hello CI,

Please continue to give your superb recipes in this thread. we're all waiting for this.

rsankar.

tomato
27th September 2005, 04:55 PM
CI,
I've made 'tomato bhaath' using ur recipe whenever I'm in a hurry to pack lunch. Its such a quick and delicious recipe. Thanx for sharing.

MysoreHudugi
28th September 2005, 07:46 PM
CI,
I've made 'tomato bhaath' using ur recipe whenever I'm in a hurry to pack lunch. Its such a quick and delicious recipe. Thanx for sharing.

Thanks Tomato.

MysoreHudugi
28th September 2005, 07:47 PM
Hello CI,

Please continue to give your superb recipes in this thread. we're all waiting for this.

rsankar.

Hi Rsankar,
I will when I find time.
Thanks,
CI.

rajsand
18th October 2005, 04:12 AM
Hi can anyone please post the recipe of 'HULIYAVALAKKI'
I think it is a snack made of puffed rice.
Thankyou

binal142001
18th October 2005, 07:53 PM
Rajsand,
Sorry i dont have the recipe.
but It's "Huli Avalakki"
Avalakki is beaten/parched rice and not puffed rice.

Sowmya
18th October 2005, 08:51 PM
Hi rajsand
Here is a link to "huliavalakki".Appears to be an authentic karnataka recipes site.

http://www.malasa.com/cookbook/Minimeals/Huliavalakki.htm

Regards
Sowmya :D

rajsand
18th October 2005, 08:57 PM
Thankyou Soumya
I got the recipe from few sites and i tried it too.. but the taste is not the same. The proportions have to be exact to get the right taste ..I will try this one too..
Meanwhile if anyone could post the tried and tested recipe.. or mother's recipe it would be great
Thanx again

Shoba
19th October 2005, 05:43 PM
Hi CI!

I was wondering whether you have any tried and tested recipes for Konkani dishes, preferably Manglorean.

Would love to hear from you when time permits...

Regards,
Shoba

tomato
25th October 2005, 04:45 PM
I guess the beans in the pic are called 'chapparada avarekai' in kannada, but not sure. pls suggest some recipes using it. Found it in 'little India' and brought a small qty, but I've never used it b4.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1098486728/gallery_17062_197_1098574332.jpg

MysoreHudugi
25th October 2005, 05:48 PM
I guess the beans in the pic are called 'chapparada avarekai' in kannada, but not sure. pls suggest some recipes using it. Found it in 'little India' and brought a small qty, but I've never used it b4.

Tomato,
I couldn't open the link. But, if it is chapparadavare kayi, you can make poriyal out of it. You can put it with other veggies in kootu.
I don't know if there is something called Pandalavare in Tamil Nadu. IT could be just a translation of kannada word to Tamil. We at home call it pandalavare. Pandal means Chappara in kannada.

Hope this helps.

CI.

Shoba
25th October 2005, 06:40 PM

tomato,

the veggies in the pic is avarakka in malayalam & avarakkai in tamil. from what i gather from my cook books, it's called chappara davara in kannada, pedda chikkudu in telugu, broad beans in english and sem in hindi.

you can make koottu, thoren, parippusli etc., they also taste good when put in saambaar.

regards,
shoba

rain
25th October 2005, 09:37 PM
i know avarakka as broad beans too but here in US groceries u get a variety which looks exactly like our avarakkai but is called snow peas.another variety is snap peas.r they one and the same as avarakka?can anyone tell if they taste same or different?

regards,
rain

binal142001
25th October 2005, 09:49 PM
rain,
avarekai and peas family are in no way related and similar.
Peas is batani(kannada).

Hope this helps..

Kateangeline
25th October 2005, 10:00 PM
Hi rain,

The snow peas actually tastes a bit sweet when cooked.Some people steam & eat it in salads with salt & pepper.

Regards,
Kate.

tomato
27th October 2005, 09:30 AM
Thank you friends. I made porial/thoren/palya (whatever u call it). I used the 'koora karam' powder from the andra thread for it. Also added grated coconut. It was good . Will try out sambhar next time I buy it.

rain
28th October 2005, 06:33 PM
hi kate,

thanks for the info.do u string them like green beans and r they good for stir-fry?

rain

Kateangeline
29th October 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi Rain,

The snow peas doesn't have strings as far as I have used(But just in case see if there are strings & remove them)They are very tender.Just microwave them with sprinkled water & salt.Then season them with mustard seeds,urid dal & curry leaves & add these to the peas & stir fry for some time.It has a slightly sweet taste & a little bland.U can try it for a change.

Chinese do these stir fry a lot.It is a very healthy recipe as u use very little or no oil.

Try it & let us know if u liked the taste.

Regards,
Kate.

shreya23
16th January 2006, 05:20 PM
hi
can anyone pls give me the recipe for akki roti , the one which has grated coconut etc & is cooked with a hole in the middle?
shreya

RedPepper
16th January 2006, 09:54 PM
hi
can anyone pls give me the recipe for akki roti , the one which has grated coconut etc & is cooked with a hole in the middle?
shreya

I think CI has already posted this recipe. I will try to locate it.

Edited to add the recipe:

From: CI (@ 12-40-27-132.elpaso.com) on: Sat Jul 6 23:17:33

Hi,
I guess I am late to post the recipe in this thread. I am from Karnataka, and there is a famous recipe from the place called "Akki Rotti". There are lots of varieties of akki rotti that you can make. I am giving the recipe for akki rotti using methi leaves.
Ingredients:
Rice flour
salt,
methi leaves,
little cumin seeds(optional)
Hing,
water to make the dough
little butter (this is optional too- just to blend the flour)
Take rice flour in a bowl, add salt, hing, cumin and butter and mix well. After it has been mixed well, add methi leaves, slowly add water to make a thick but sticky dough.Divide them into orange sized rounds.Keep it covered.
When you are ready to start making rottis, take a little bowl with water. Dip your hand in water to make it wet. Smear little oil on the tawa(cold one), and take a ball of dough and start patting it on the tawa until it becomes round and thin. Bake it as you bake the dosa. Serve it hot with any chutney of your choice (Usually it is coconut chutney).
If you are living in U.S, faster way to do is to heat the tawa, and pat the dough on a wax paper or parchment paper (like you do for puran poli or Obbattu), then transfer it on to the tawa. This way, you don't have to wait for tawa to get cooled before patting the next rotti.

shreya23
17th January 2006, 06:34 PM
hi red pepper
thanks for having located the recipe.
btw wanted to ask you this ,how long can we conserve the bittergourd pickle?and should we keep it in the fridge?bye
shreya

RedPepper
17th January 2006, 09:34 PM
hi red pepper
thanks for having located the recipe.
btw wanted to ask you this ,how long can we conserve the bittergourd pickle?and should we keep it in the fridge?bye
shreya
I don't make big quantity of bittergourd pickle. Normally I use 6 to 10 bittergourds. My husband loves this so he will finish it in less than two weeks. :D He will eat it just like a side dish. So I never had a chance to experiment with keeping it longer. But I think if you crisp fry the gourds or sun dry (until water content is evaporated) before making the pickle it will last longer. Keep in the refrigerator.
That pickle I have in the blog is made with 6 bittergourds. I didn't even refrigerate it. It was on the dining table aand my husband finished it in 4 days!! :roll:

sailu
19th January 2006, 05:26 PM
That pickle I have in the blog is made with 6 bittergourds.
Thanks for sharing the recipe,RP.Am gonna try it.

dev
20th January 2006, 06:15 PM
Sailu,

Ur kadai paneer looks very appetising... Will try it soon... BTW, how many tomatoes approx makes 1 cup(i believe this is the standard cup measure ie,225ml) of tomato puree?...

sailu
20th January 2006, 06:44 PM
Ur kadai paneer looks very appetising... Will try it soon... BTW, how many tomatoes approx makes 1 cup(i believe this is the standard cup measure ie,225ml) of tomato puree?
I guess it depends on the size of the tomatoes you use,Dev..:)
The kadai paneer (http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2006/01/kadai-paneer-cottage-cheese-creamy.html) which I prepared the recipe called for approx 3 medium size tomatoes ..thoda idhar udhar..no probs....

sllurrpsllurrp
21st January 2006, 12:18 AM
Hi All

I am desperately looking for some udupi brahmin here :roll: who can give me recipe for thier huli/ sambar which is made in their household traditionally like the one which is served in the udupi srikrishna temple ..no onions / tomato please ...just the authentic sambar...i hope to find it here as it started as a karnataka thread.
slllllurrrrrrrrp !

sweetpepper
24th January 2006, 11:23 AM
dear CI
i am a banglorean and miss the food there like crazy!! i am very fond of baking and i bake quite often...
i was impressed to see so many great recipes under one thread! i was wondering how to make khara biscuits like in bangalore bakeries.
how is your little girl doing?

thanks.

sailu
26th January 2006, 08:23 PM
I made the traditional Karnataka dish 'Ragi Roti' (http://indiacuisine.blogspot.com/2006/01/ragi-roti-millet-flour-based-flat.html) today.Of course my recipe did not go the authentic way ..have included some grated carrots and mashed green peas to make my toddler eat his veggies..:)
I am going to try out the akki roti next week.

kittymatti
6th February 2009, 11:22 PM
hi
shreya

hi
herez the recipe
To 1 cup rice flour, add 1/2-1/3 cup of grated coconut, 4 tbsp oil, 1/2 cup chopped onions., some coriander leaves chopped (lots), green chillies chopped, salt to taste. mix it to form a dough. The dough should not be as firm as chapathy dough. It should be a little more wet. Let it rest for a few min(optional). Take out a huge ball and flatten it out on a non-heated tawa .. (even a non-stick pan is pretty good, as it is easy to cool before u make yr next roti). Make a hole in the centre. Heat the tawa, slowly add oil(best would be peanut oil), Once the oil starts sizzling, close and cook till the bottom part is crisp. Turn it over and cook on the other side till done... Serve with coconut-coriander chutney... My husband likes it with malai kofta! a funny combination :)

Shakthiprabha.
6th February 2009, 11:41 PM
hi kittymitti,

Thanks for the recipe.

I love to make akki roti and my whole family loves it. One more variation is to add "avare bele" (instead of onions) It takes really yummy!

However I have a prob. Everytime I make one roti, I need to swtich off my tava, let it cool down, to try the next one. I tried flattening it on plastic covers, it does not work out. Hence I try it directly on non-heated tawa. Is there any other option?

akki roti with malaai kofta :D cool.

We eat it with chutney or curd :)

kittymatti
7th February 2009, 12:04 AM
hi kittymitti,
Oh yeah.. I have eaten it with aravaka.. As u say, it tastes awesome!
It is very esay to make the rotis on non-stick pans (flat) because they cool in minutes...Before u make the next roti, just cool it in running tap water and the temp drops down. However, it is hard to get this temp drop in the regular iron dosa griddle...
thnaks and have a great time!

I want a recipe for kodubale..Can u please post it.. I have tried several reciped but none have really worked...

Thanks for the recipe.

I love to make akki roti and my whole family loves it. One more variation is to add "avare bele" (instead of onions) It takes really yummy!

However I have a prob. Everytime I make one roti, I need to swtich off my tava, let it cool down, to try the next one. I tried flattening it on plastic covers, it does not work out. Hence I try it directly on non-heated tawa. Is there any other option?

akki roti with malaai kofta :D cool.

We eat it with chutney or curd :)

Anoushka
8th April 2009, 08:59 PM
Shakthi: I use two non stick pans, makes it quicker :) also I turn the pan upside down and hold it in running cold water to cool it down quicker.... not sure if it is a good idea!

Anyone knows the recipe for neer dosa? :)

bingleguy
20th April 2009, 08:27 PM
found this interesting site on some receipes of Karnataka ...
<a href = "http://www.bennett.com/curry/karnata.htm">Click Here</a>

Shakthiprabha
12th November 2009, 04:16 PM
Shakthi: I use two non stick pans, makes it quicker :) also I turn the pan upside down and hold it in running cold water to cool it down quicker.... not sure if it is a good idea!

Anyone knows the recipe for neer dosa? :)

Anou,

I hope I saw this thread, before ur question's anniversary!

I supp my friend makes it this way.

Ingredients: For one cup raw rice, she grinds ONE FULL coconut (can lessen if u really are worried about cholestrol and health conscious) (coconut milk optional)

Method: Rice needs to be soaked for 3 to 4 hour sand ground to paste (lil watery) and ground along with coconut.
Heat thava, and spread the batter like regular dosa (batter needs to be thin to get paper consistency) Dosa would remain WHITE even after getting done. Any good chutney would be a proper side dish.

Variation: I am also told some ppl do it with PLAIN RAW RICE (without coconut. However adding coconut sure makes it yummy)

Caution: Neer thosa has to be served hot and consumed fresh for better appreciation.

Anoushka
16th December 2009, 04:00 PM
thanks Shakthi :)