PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of our National Anthem?

Ilavenil
14th March 2005, 12:44 AM
I was wondering how many of you know the meaning of our National Anthem. I have seen Americans shedding tears when they sing their National Anthem. Come to think of it, even I get emotional when I sing our Naional Anthem, but, that is purely because of respect, not because I understand what I sing. I am not talking here about the meaning of name of places like Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, Maratha... So, I just wanted to know if I am left alone or there are many others who sing without knowing what it really means. If someone knows, can you kindly post the meaning here.

I know that it was written by Rabindranath Tagore in honor of King George V and the Queen of England when they visited India in 1919. To honor their visit Pundit Motilal Nehru had the five stanzas included, which are in praise of the King and Queen.

But, I want meaning, word by word. Thanks.

Ilavenil
14th March 2005, 08:44 AM
21 views and only 2 voted. Come on guys, you don't have to reply and express your views, just answer the poll please.

Sandeep
14th March 2005, 01:30 PM
National Anthem Lyrics

Jana-gana-mana-adhinayaka, jaya he
Bharata-bhagya-vidhata.
Punjab-Sindh-Gujarat-Maratha
Dravida-Utkala-Banga
Vindhya-Himachala-Yamuna-Ganga
Uchchala-Jaladhi-taranga.
Tava shubha name jage,
Tava shubha asisa mage,
Gahe tava jaya gatha,
Jana-gana-mangala-dayaka jaya he
Bharata-bhagya-vidhata.
Jaya he, jaya he, jaya he,
Jaya jaya jaya, jaya he!

The following is Tagore’s English rendering of the anthem :

Thou art the ruler of the minds of all people,
dispenser of India’s destiny.
Thy name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sind,
Gujarat and Maratha,
Of the Dravida and Orissa and Bengal;
It echoes in the hills of the Vindyas and Himalayas,
mingles in the music of Jamuna and Ganges and is
chanted by the waves of the Indian Sea.
They pray for thy blessings and sing thy praise.
The saving of all people waits in thy hand,
thou dispenser of India’s destiny.
Victory, victory, victory to thee.

Tamil_Socrates
14th March 2005, 08:16 PM
its better to remove "Sindh" and add india occupied kashmir,andhaman and nicobar islands...

Ilavenil
14th March 2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks Sandeep. Now I can sing with all my heart.

tamilnadu
15th March 2005, 07:28 AM
although tagore was bengali, the song is heavily weight around hindi belt. only places mentioned outside is bengal (where is assam, manipur, nagaland?) and dravidam (did he know there are four dravidian nations with with distinct national and cultural identities?)

Sandeep
15th March 2005, 12:23 PM
although tagore was bengali, the song is heavily weight around hindi belt. only places mentioned outside is bengal (where is assam, manipur, nagaland?) and dravidam (did he know there are four dravidian nations with with distinct national and cultural identities?)

Hindi belt is UP, Bihar, MP, Uthranchal, Jharkand, Delhi, Chathesgar none of which is mentioned in the anthem.

Punjab - Punjabi,
Sind - Urdu,
Gujarat - Gujarathi
Maratha - Marathi,
Orissa - Oriya and
Bengal - Bengali
And Dravida - Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Telugu.

I dont find any place with Hindi mentioned at all.

Sandeep
15th March 2005, 12:25 PM
its better to remove "Sindh" and add india occupied kashmir,andhaman and nicobar islands...

Though you are technically correct, i dont think we need to change the national anthem.

Badri
15th March 2005, 12:47 PM
I thought there was actually a move in the Supreme Court to remove Sind, because it no longer has any reference. I remember reading somewhere the SC asking the Central Govt to come back with a response. Any idea?

Sandeep
15th March 2005, 12:55 PM
Yes that write.

SC is considering a Public Interest Litigation and had asked the Govt. on its view. But the Govt didnt respond to SC. To which SC wondered if "govt is interested at all in this".

The fact it most Indians dont care if Sind is present or not in the National Anthem. So the govt is also not interested

Sudhaama
15th March 2005, 09:41 PM
There are several Interesting News behind our Indian National-Anthem...

First point is... a SECRET... many People don't know.

Was this Song... composed on India... addressing that Nation?... NO !!!

While India was enslaved under British .....this Song... of Five-Stanzas...

... was composed by Rabindranath Tagore ... out of which only Two Stanzas have been taken for the Indian National Anthem

This was not composed for the sake of India... but for the sake of...

... The then British-Emperor... GEORGE VI .. on the eve of his Coronotation... addressing him and praising him.... as...

... You the Glorious Ruler of a Great Country India....

... Jaya-Hae ( Let Victory be for you)... OUR EMPEROR the Worshipful !!!

The next Line omltted by the India Government... (which I remember well even now... )... praises the Emperors Throne.

This is an UNFORGETTABLE Song in my Life... since it caused a great Turmoil in our Family... that my Father... a Sathyagrahi... Lost His School-Head- Master's Job... because of this Song...

... Forbidden and avoided by One and all the Employers to offer him the Job... even though he had already earned good reputation for his exemplary Teaching Knowledge and Competency.

Only because of his National-Spirit... as Indian...Vandhae-Maatharam..!!

Those Days... of inexplicable Woes of our whole Family in TEARS for Years......

... Still in my Vivid Memory... even after about 70 years.

Querida
16th March 2005, 01:39 AM
two cents:
one do specify and say India's national anthem....not because saying our is wrong but because i was quite confused when reading your post of what our denoted until i came to the latter part

two would it not be better to sing of your landscapes/ sites rather than all the people nationalities, (you don't have to discard this one, but can always add to the group no?) if you are politically correct you would have the longest anthem to denote each and every group/exceptions to the group...

Badri
16th March 2005, 04:24 AM
Here's the conclusive update:

Stand on anthem

NEW DELHI, MARCH 15. The Government is opposed to any deletion, addition in the national anthem or its substitution by another composition, the Lok Sabha was informed today. This was a reference to a writ plea in the Supreme Court seeking the deletion of the word `Sindh' from the anthem. — PTI

Sudhaama
16th March 2005, 10:10 PM
Does it mean ... that a Poem composed in Praise of our British Dictator Emperor George V I... can be deemed fit for a Democratic Nation... even after getting Liberated from the Reign of that Foreign Throne.

See what the next Stanza ... in Bengali.... reads...

Aha Raha Thava Aahwaana Prachaaritha Sunidhava Hudhaara Vaanee
Hindhu Boudha Sikha Jaina Paara-sikha Musalamaana Kristhaanee
Poorabha Paschima Aashae Thava SIMHAASANA Paashae
Praema Haara Jaya Gaathaa Janagana Aikya Vidhaayaka
Jaya Hae Bhaaratha Bhaagya Vidhaathaa
Jaya Hae ! Jaya Hae !! Jaya Jaya Jaya Hae !!!

Meaning... Oh.... OUR ... Great .. Emperor (George V I)... we are lucky to have you as our Ruler... You are adding Luck to us.

Your Sacred Name we always chant in our minds....You are the bestower of all our Desires and Ambitions from Dreams into Reality....

Your holy Reign of your Throne extends from the Eastern-most Horizon to Western-most Horizon....

So you gain the Garland of Love from we all the people under you....

Even though we are divided as Hindhu, Boudha, Muslim, Sikh, Christian etc... ...

We are able to be united under your unified Leadership of oneness....

....Oh !!... Our Great Emperor!!... May you be VICTORIOUS...

... Victory Victory Victory ...for YOU.... (Emperor-GEORGE V I)

Badri
17th March 2005, 04:07 AM
I dont know, Sudhama sir...what if we think of it as in praise of God, or Mother India? True, maybe it was written in praise of George V, but that is ok. It is more appropriate to the Vidhata than to the king. Besides, the word Vidhata in Hindi is specifically used to refer to God only...as the ruler of destinies. Surely, no mortal king could aspire to that...and surely, Tagore would have known that truth!!!

Sudhaama
17th March 2005, 09:20 PM
Dear Mr. badri99

The Sanskrit word VIDHAATHA.. can be seen widely used in Poetries of various Indian Languages... praising the Kings and Emperors.

People of olden days including Hindus treated the Kings as DEMI-GODs.

No doubt the Great Bengali-Poet Rabindranath Tagore was a high Linguistic Scholar in several Languages, especialy in Sanskrit, English and Bengali.

But I am unable to understand how you are able to digest an Idea attributed to a Man... after all... that too.. a Dictator...

... Reproduced again ... directing towards the Mother-Land... as Holy as God.

And it is accepted as the National-Anthem.. Great Pride of the Nation !!

Badri
18th March 2005, 06:08 AM
Not a question of digesting it...let us face the facts.

For fifty-odd years, we have been used to this national anthem. we have grown up with it, we have sung it, we have respected it, and we have grown to love it, despite it being in a language not our own (for all non-Bengalis).

At this point in time, it is too late to change. If what you say is right, if it was indeed composed to honor the English king, think of it this way, Sudhaama sir...

Having grown up with who we thought was our mother, if at the age of fifty-eight, you are told that she is not your biological mother, only your foster mother who did not give birth to you, only reared you, would you love her any less for that? Isnt it too late by then? Whether she has given birth or not, hasn't she brought you up with love? Hasnt she spent sleepless nights when you were sick? Rejoiced with you in your joys and suffered with you in your sorrows?

Similar to this is our national anthem. Think of how many jawans of this country would have given up their life fighting for our country, while mentally humming this national anthem. Hasn't our flag, our anthem inspired our patriotism?

After all, what is a flag but a piece of colored cloth? Yet, does not our tiranga evoke love in our hearts for our nation, pride and loyalty?

What is the anthem but another song, but does not our national anthem automatically inspire us to stand in respect whenever it is heard? Don't we feel joy when we hear it being played or sung, especially when you are in a foreign country?

Vande Matharam did that to our freedom fighters. It was a sanskrit word, but that did not dissuade our muslim or christian or tamil or assamese brothers and sisters to die chanting it, as though it were the most sacred of mantras, or hymns.

We can split hairs all we want, but it will not do to lose sight of the more important things - it is so much what the anthem says or who it was composed keeping in mind, it is what it signifies to each and every Indian. It recalls to us the pride that is our country. It reminds us of what we owe her, and how best we can give back to her what she has given us.

blahblah
18th March 2005, 06:39 PM
What a post Badri!It simply reveals your heart and I am glad to be with you on the hub or elsewhere.

These guys who try to 'split each hair' and the same time try to split families,communities and nations should have been here.

Sudhaama
18th March 2005, 08:26 PM
"sbadri99"

//... For fifty-odd years, we have been used to this national anthem. we have grown up with it, we have sung it, we have respected it, and we have grown to love it, despite it being in a language not our own (for all non-Bengalis...... At this point in time, it is too late to change. .....

Having grown up with who we thought was our mother, if at the age of fifty-eight, you are told that she is not your biological mother, only your foster mother who did not give birth to you, only reared you, would you love her any less for that? Isnt it too late by then? Whether she has given birth or not, hasn't she brought you up with love? Hasnt she spent sleepless nights when you were sick? Rejoiced with you in your joys and suffered with you in your sorrows?

Similar to this is our national anthem. Think of how many jawans of this country would have given up their life fighting for our country, while mentally humming this national anthem. Hasn't our flag, our anthem inspired our patriotism?

After all, what is a flag but a piece of colored cloth? Yet, does not our tiranga evoke love in our hearts for our nation, pride and loyalty?

What is the anthem but another song, but does not our national anthem automatically inspire us to stand in respect whenever it is heard? Don't we feel joy when we hear it being played or sung, especially when you are in a foreign country?

Vande Matharam did that to our freedom fighters. It was a sanskrit word, but that did not dissuade our muslim or christian or tamil or assamese brothers and sisters to die chanting it, as though it were the most sacred of mantras, or hymns.

We can split hairs all we want, but it will not do to lose sight of the more important things - it is so much what the anthem says or who it was composed keeping in mind, it is what it signifies to each and every Indian. It recalls to us the pride that is our country. It reminds us of what we owe her, and how best we can give back to her what she has given us.//

Well-said Mr. "badri"... Yes it is a Vital point....!!! ... We have to live by REALITY.... not based on TRUTH alone.... which is only the Theory behind ...

A Lesson taught to Arjuna who decided not to confront his Relatives and Gurus... based on TRUTH...

...Lord Krishna advised him to decide NOT ON THE BASIS of TRUTH... but based on the RALITY...

...that the same Persons truly the Relatives and Gurus are your To-days Enemies... which is the REALITY... based on which you must decide

That is the Gyst of Geetha..... We all know.

We cannot lead a meaningful Life... if we start analysing the Nadhi- moolam and Rishi- moolam of every thing at every stage.!!

If Bengalis start thinking why should we use the Ganga-water... the drained Wash-water of upstream users... like UP, Bihar people.... ???

... Will it Not be RIDICULOUS and.... IMPRACTICABLE in Life. ?

Badri
21st March 2005, 06:23 AM
It simply reveals your heart and I am glad to be with you on the hub or elsewhere.

Thanks Blahblah...you are absolutely right on that count - it was the outpouring of my heart.

Dear Sudhama...glad you could see my point of view. By the way, do you have to use so many "dots" in your messages? they make it very difficult to read. You have such wonderful views but why do you distort your posts with all those dots?

sundararaj
31st December 2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Honestly, I have forgotten the meaning of our NA.

thimuru
4th January 2007, 08:39 AM
There are several Interesting News behind our Indian National-Anthem...

First point is... a SECRET... many People don't know.

Was this Song... composed on India... addressing that Nation?... NO !!!

While India was enslaved under British .....this Song... of Five-Stanzas...

... was composed by Rabindranath Tagore ... out of which only Two Stanzas have been taken for the Indian National Anthem

... The then British-Emperor... GEORGE VI .. on the eve of his Coronotation... addressing him and praising him.... as...

The next Line omltted by the India Government... (which I remember well even now... )... praises the Emperors Throne.

This is an UNFORGETTABLE Song in my Life... since it caused a great Turmoil in our Family... that my Father... a Sathyagrahi... Lost His School-Head- Master's Job... because of this Song...

... Forbidden and avoided by One and all the Employers to offer him the Job... even though he had already earned good reputation for his exemplary Teaching Knowledge and Competency.

Only because of his National-Spirit... as Indian...Vandhae-Maatharam..!!

Those Days... of inexplicable Woes of our whole Family in TEARS for Years......

... Still in my Vivid Memory... even after about 70 years.

sir...few questions

1.why did rabindranath tagore praise a british emperor...i heard he is a great patriot or is it the normal priniple of the congress people to invite a british emperor in a nice manner

2.whats that second lind and meaning

3.its personal...answer if u want!..was ur father dismissed for singing jana-gana-mana in british period?because it means jana-gana-mana turned into a patriotic song in british rule itself....

great to hear abt ur father... :D

sipi
4th January 2007, 11:46 AM
was ur father dismissed for singing jana-gana-mana in british period?because it means jana-gana-mana turned into a patriotic song in british rule itself....

i guess, it not turned into british period itself. after the independence only, indian government edited some lines and make it as national anthem, maybe its in first republic day (not sure about it, i heard abt it somewhere).

podalangai
4th January 2007, 06:20 PM

I know there is a big controversy about the National Anthem (and always was, so much so that even in 1950 the Government adopted did not dare let the Constituent Assembly select the National Anthem but instead decided it itself). The reason many people believe that it was written for the king is that many papers reported it as having been sung to welcome the Emperor when it was first sung. But this is what Tagore himself had to say about who Jana Gana Mana was addressed to:

"A certain high official in His Majesty's service, who was also my friend, had requested that I write a song of felicitation towards the Emperor. The request simply amazed me. It caused a great stir in my heart. In response to that great mental turmoil, I pronounced the victory in Jana Gana Mana of that Bhagya Vidhata of India who has from age after age held steadfast the reins of India's chariot through rise and fall, through the straight path and the curved. That Lord of Destiny, that Reader of the Collective Mind of India, that Perennial Guide, could never be George V, George VI, or any other George. Even my official friend understood this about the song. After all, even if his admiration for the crown was excessive, he was not lacking in simple common sense."

Sudhaama
4th January 2007, 09:53 PM
Jana Gana Mana ATHI-NAYAKA ..Jaya Hae.!!.

Athi-Nayaka = Supreme Ruler / Chakravarthi / Emperor

Jana-gana Mana Athi Nayaka = The Emperor who rules over all the varities of People... along with their Minds (Occupying their Minds)

The Composer, Dr Rabindranath Tagore is no doubt .. one of the Great Sons of India...

He added pride to the Nation, by getting the honour of Nobel-prize, for his Geethanjali.

His high sense of patriotism towards his Motherland India.. exhibited in his other works, speeches and actions are UNQUESTIONABLE and NON-DUBIOUS.

But why he composed this Bengali Poem alone.. addressing the then British Ruler.?.. is a Mystery... yet to be unravelled.!

In reply to volley of Questions and Criticisms from all over india and abroad... mostly from Bengalis themselves...

.. he had to give some reply.. and so he had given...

How far it is convincing or agreeable to the common-man... is left to the individual discretion. ..It varies from person to person.

During one of the Annual Conferences of the then Congress party.. held at Calcutta (present Kolkata)...

.. presided over by the then President of the party... Mr. Subhash Chandra Bose...

...this Bengali-poem was sung in Chorus.. as the Prayer Song... excluding the Two Stanzas.. first and the last ones (which only specifically mentions the Emperor George VI)

... Nobody raised any objection.

Then it became customary to sing in chorus for every Congress conference, Meetings and Sessions as the authentic Prayer Song for the then Congress party.

So there is No wonder.. that the Congress-party custom... extended to the National Anthem too.

podalangai
5th January 2007, 12:57 AM
.But why he composed this Bengali Poem alone.. addressing the then British Ruler.?.. is a Mystery... yet to be unravelled.! .
There was a lot of good feeling for George V then, especially among Bengalis, because he had said he would undo the Partition of Bengal. But Tagore always insisted that despite that, he could not write in praise of George V and wrote in praise of the Supreme Lord.

Perhaps the best thing is for everybody to read the full text in Bengali and English and decide for themselves whether Tagore was talking about George V or the Supreme Ruler. Both were posted on the Hub a long time ago:

http://forumhub.com/indcmusic/26575.16758.12.52.07.html

podalangai
5th January 2007, 01:06 AM
Since we are talking about Jana Gana Mana, here is the text of the Hindustani translation which Netaji adopted for Azad Hind. The translation was jointly made by Netaji and Abid Hasan.

The words are beautiful, they have so much feeling and devotion:

Shubh Sukh Chain ki barkha barse
Bharat bhag hai jaga

Punjab, Sind, Gujrat, Maratha, Dravid, Utkal, Banga
Chanchal Sagar Vindh Himala; Nila Jamuna Ganga
Tere nit gun gayen
tujh se jiwan paen;
Sab tan paye asha.
Suraj ban kar jag par chamke, Bharat nam subhaga
Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya ho,
Bharat naam Subhaga.

Sab ke dil men prit basae teri mithi bani
Har subeke rahne wale; har mazhab ke prani
Sab bhed aur farak mita ke;
sab god me teri ake,
Goondhe prem ki mala
Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya ho,
Bharat naam Subhaga.

Subh savere pankh pakharu; tere hi gun gayen
Bas bhari bharpur hawaen; jiwan men rut layen
Sab mil kar Hind pukaren;
Jai Azad Hind ke nare
Pyara desh hamara
Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya ho, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya, Jaya ho
Bharat naam Subhaga.

thimuru
5th January 2007, 09:57 AM
sudhaama sr,

if the first and last stanzas were left out and sang as a custom in congress meeting....anyone of those could have ben selected as national anthem...why did they select the controversial first stanza

Sudhaama
6th January 2007, 03:47 AM
sudhaama sr,

if the first and last stanzas were left out and sang as a custom in congress meeting....anyone of those could have ben selected as national anthem...why did they select the controversial first stanza

No. I have Not SAID SO. Please go through my posting once again. However I clarify further...

This Bengali-poem of high classical value contains several stanzas, out of which

.. ONLY TWO STANZAS IN THE MIDDLE... have been adopted for National Anthem... as it was... without any change.

The first and the last stanzas specifically mentions the Emperor George VI.

One of the middle lines... which alone, I remember now...

Aha raha thava aahvaana prachaaritha sunidhava hudhaara vaanhi

Hindhu Bouddha Sikha Jaina Paarasika musalmaana Kristhaani

Pooraba paschima aashae, THAVA SIMHAASANA paashae, prema- haara Jaya gaatha.!

Jana-gana Aikya Vidhaayaka Jaya Hae.! Bhaaratha Bhaagya Vidhaatha.!

Jaya Hae.! Jaya Hae! Jaya Jaya Jaya Hae.!

Please note the Block-lettered words.. THAVA -SIMHAASANA.. meaning YOUR THRONE.

Although it was accepted by the Congress party as their Prayer-Song... deemed for the Nation...

Non-congressmen Elite dignitaries all over India... vehemently objected. Especially the Bengali Intellectuals vociferously opposed to its acceptance in the dubious sense for the Nation.

There was volley of Pro and Anti Letters to Editors in the Leading National dailies.

Maximum objection was reported in the Calcutta-based .. AMRITHA BAZAAR PATHRIKA...a reputed Patriotic Daily Newspaper of highest Circulation in West Bengal even now-a-days.
How far that Patriotic Bengali Newspaper was Anti-British-rulers... can be understood by its Revolutionary History.

Its publications were banned by British rulers several times and got resurrections by the repeated intervention of the Privy Counncil at London... after their Legal battle.

Finally their Legal case failed there too.. since was ordered for the ultimate closure of that Newspaper.

On hearing such a Supreme judgement...the Bengali people felt sure to lose that valuable Newspaper bringing out the hard truth afresh daily..

... But were wonderstruck to find the same Newspaper... under the same Name again in the market right on the next morning.. UN-INTERRUPTED..

..But... as an ENGLISH Newspaper... turned Overnight... instead of Bengali language... previous shape

.. which Revolutionary Message was an International News... first and the last so far, globally.

Even such a Great Patriotic Newspaper vehemently criticised in its Editorial...

... and opposed introduction of this Emperor-addressed Poem to transform as the Prayer song for a Freedom-fighting National party.

And the Press-reporters sought the reply from the then Secretary of the Congress party.

His reply was thus...

"We are concerned only with the wordings presently accepted for the purpose... which in no way means or denotes the Emperor...

... and so can be meant to address the Nation also.

We badly sought after a Prayer Song as the dire need of the day. No other song in any language... including Hindi, so impressive and brief.. imbued with high sense... was available to us. So we have adopted an apt part of it... which suits our purpose.

It has been duly passed by a Resolution in our General body meeting. Further we are not interested to elaborate. It is radically an Internal affair of the party.

But .. Finally it became the NATIONAL ANTHEM too.

thimuru
6th January 2007, 10:36 AM
thanks sudhaama sir...now understood!

regarding converting into english newspaper within a night.. waahhh...

:clap:

Rohit
6th January 2007, 06:14 PM
[tscii:6c17fc21c5]The song, as adopted as India's National Anthem

Jônogônomono-odhinaeoko jôeô he Bharotobhaggobidhata!
Pônjabo Shindhu Gujorato Môratha Drabido Utkôlo Bônggo,
Bindho Himachôlo Jomuna Gôngga Uchchhôlojôlodhitoronggo,
Tôbo shubho name jage, tôbo shubho ashish mage,
Gahe tôbo jôeogatha.
Jônogônomonggolodaeoko jôeô he Bharotobhaggobidhata!
Jôeo he, jôeo he, jôeo he, jôeo jôeo jôeo, jôeo he!

The literal meaning of the song (in dark blue)

Jônogônomono-odhinaeoko jôeô he = Hail to the ruler of the minds of all people

Bharotobhaggobidhata = The dispenser of Bharat's destiny

Pônjabo Shindhu Gujorato Môratha Drabido Utkôlo Bônggo Bindho Himachôlo = Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, Maratha, Dravida, Utkala (Orissa), Bengal, Vindhyas, Himachal

Jomuna Gôngga Uchchhôlojôlodhitoronggo = The mingling water waves of Jamuna and the Ganges

Tôbo shubho name jage = They rise with thy noble name

Tôbo shubho ashish mage = They seek thy noble blessings

Gahe tôbo jôeogatha = They sing thy praise

Jônogônomonggolodaeoko jôeô he = Hail to the warden of all people

Bharotobhaggobidhata = The dispenser of Bharat's destiny

Jôeo he, jôeo he, jôeo he, jôeo jôeo jôeo, jôeo he = Hail to thee, hail to thee, hail to thee, hail, hail, hail, hail to thee[/tscii:6c17fc21c5]

thimuru
6th January 2007, 07:31 PM
ROHIT...thanks for giving a very simple explanation for our national anthem :D

Rohit
6th January 2007, 08:40 PM
ROHIT...thanks for giving a very simple explanation for our national anthem :D
You are most welcome, Thimuru. :)

thimuru
6th January 2007, 09:38 PM
rohit..whom do u believe rabindranath tagore denoted there? :lol:

the ALMIGHTY or the king

Rohit
6th January 2007, 10:37 PM
The use of words; hail, ruler, dispenser of destiny, noble, blessings, praise and warden clearly reveals the poet's impulsive state of mind while composing the song under specific conditions and situations of the time.

When one hears such an impulsive song, hailing a ruler as noble, casting him as the warden of nation, seeking his blessings; and praising him as the dispenser of nation's destiny; one obviously hears an honest declaration of the poet's feelings of subordination and his total submission to the higher authority.

Now the most puzzling question is, who was that higher authority or the dispenser of nation's destiny, the poet really intended to please?

Was it God or the King?

If God was the dispenser of nation's destiny in the poet's mind; then the poet must have been absolutely dumb not have grasped the fact that it must be God, who dispensed the destiny of entire Bharat to be invaded by the foreigners in the first place. It must be God, who dispensed the destiny of hundreds of millions of people to be enslaved under the foreign rulers, making them utterly destitute for over a thousand years.

If the King was the dispenser of nation's destiny in the poet's mind, no contradiction arises and the entire song perfectly fits in with the special occasion for which the song was composed and sung in the first place.

Then, how come the poet was compelled to write such a song, praising such a tyrant?

The answer is very simple.

The demands, conditions and situations of the time compelled the poet to write such a disguising song, which he did quite well. :)

Sudhaama
6th January 2007, 11:15 PM
... Now the most puzzling question is, who was that higher authority or the dispenser of nation's destiny, the poet really intended to please?

Was it God or a King?

If the dispenser of nation's destiny was God in the poet's mind; then the poet must have been absolutely dumb not have grasped the fact that it was God, who dispensed the destiny of entire Bharat to be invaded by foreigners in the first place. It was God, who dispensed the destiny of hundreds of millions of people to be enslaved under the foreign rulers, making them utterly destitute for over a thousand years.

If the dispenser of nation's destiny was a King in the poet's mind, no contradiction arises and the entire song perfectly fits in with the special occasion for which the song was written and sung in the first place.

Then, how come the poet was compelled to write such a song, praising such a tyrant?

The answer is very simple.

The demands, conditions and situations of the time compelled the poet to write such a disguising song, which he did quite well. :)

If one studies the Total version of the Poem... he can find CATEGORICALLY ... and Undoubtedly...

.. that the Great Poet Dr Ravindranath Tagore... has clearly and specifically ATTRIBUTES the whole Poem ONLY AND ONLY to the British Emperor for Coronation... i.e. George VI

At that time...this point and sense towards the British Emperor, were never disputed by the Critics and Opposers even by the Bengalis (who ALWAYS regard Dr Tagore very highly). But only wondered. and PERPLEXED!

No doubt, in the sense of Bengali Language .. it is a Beautiful Poem of high classical sense... with Great Poetical Values

Even the Congress party has adopted only two stanzas... which are commonly ATTRIBUTIVE terminologies...

...applicable and meant for anybody in Power or Throne ruling over India... AT ANY TIME... PAST OR PRESENT.

But the then Congress party... DEEMED the Vidhaatha as the BHARATHA- MAATHA...

... the Ruler MOTHER INDIA..!!

Rohit
6th January 2007, 11:35 PM
If one studies the Total version of the Poem... he can find CATEGORICALLY ... and Undoubtedly...

.. that the Great Poet Dr Ravindranath Tagore... has clearly and specifically ATTRIBUTES the whole Poem ONLY AND ONLY to the British Emperor for Coronation... i.e. George VI..

Dear Sudhaama,

Despite of past discordance, we are in total accordance with each other on an issue for the first time!

Isn't that wonderfully phenomenal? :)

Rohit
7th January 2007, 12:03 AM

... the Ruler MOTHER INDIA..!!..
A land can rule neither people nor can it rule itself nor can it become the bhagyavidhata of people nor can it become the bhagyavidhata of itself.

Only the people of land can rule others or can be ruled by the people of other lands.

Therefore, Bharath Maatha or Mother India cannot be entitled as the ruler or bhagyavidhaatha of itself and/or her people i.e. the ruler and dispenser of the destiny of itself and/or her people, I am afraid.

I would pity those who would give credence to such absurdities.

Sudhaama
7th January 2007, 01:54 AM

A land can rule neither people nor can it rule itself nor can it become the bhagyavidhata of people nor can it become the bhagyavidhata of itself.

Only the people of land can rule others or can be ruled by the people of other lands.

Therefore, Bharath Maatha or Mother India cannot be entitled as the ruler or bhagyavidhaatha of itself and/or her people i.e. the ruler and dispenser of the destiny of itself and/or her people, I am afraid.

No No. It should not be treated so cheap as ABSURD.

Such a MOTHER-LAND Spirit is the Global phenomena of any Country national...

.. since it is the Rudimentary spirit as the Foundation as well as the Starting point towards UNITY of all the Citizens of various hues...

... under One Common Umbrella... on the Sole-basis of ONE NATION- BORN... deemed Single National-Family.

If such a basic Web-spirit is not harboured amongst its people...

.. any country will break up into splinters on the basis of different Sub- classifications like Languages, Religions, Sub-Culture, Natural-wealth regionally, Ethnics, Ancestry etc.

The present Younger generation can neither realise nor truly understand the History ..

...nor the justification for Selfless Sacrifices of lakhs of people.. on Freedom struggle...

... unless they deeply perceive into the purpose and advantage of One-ness amongst the Common people .. UNARMED sufferers...

Rather the BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHER HAVE TO FLOCK TOGETHER always... for Survival.

So such a Basic National-spirit is constantly reminded and maintained... amongst the People...

... and the maximum in case of the Military-forces...

.. through Chorus-Singing or Instrument-play of National-anthem... during important functions and celebrations..

... appilicable for any Nation.!!

Rohit
7th January 2007, 02:21 AM

No No. It should not be treated so cheap as ABSURD.

Such a MOTHER-LAND Spirit is the Global phenomena of any Country national...

.. since it is the Rudimentary spirit as the Foundation as well as the Starting point towards UNITY of all the Citizens of various hues...

... under One Common Umbrella... on the Sole-basis of ONE NATION- BORN... deemed Single National-Family.

If such a basic Web-spirit is not harboured amongst its people...

.. any country will break up into splinters on the basis of different Sub- classifications like Languages, Religions, Sub-Culture, Natural-wealth regionally, Ethnics, Ancestry etc.

The present Younger generation can neither realise nor truly understand the History ..

...nor the justification for Selfless Sacrifices of lakhs of people..
on Freedom struggle

... unless they deeply perceive into the purpose and advantage of One-ness amongst the Common-succours...

...rather the BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHER HAVE TO FLOCK TOGETHER... always.
I am sorry, but the notions of unity and nationalism belong only to the people of the land and not to the land itself; and therefore, their true realisations also lie with the people of the land and not with the land itself.

Therefore, no amount of any diverted explanations can rationalise the absurdity conveyed in the statement:

If anything, they would spark the same fury and controversies as it is currently with the song; "Vande Mathram.."

Therefore, I shall maintain what I have stated in my previous post that:

Therefore, I pity those who give credence to such absurdities.

Sudhaama
7th January 2007, 02:56 AM
I am sorry, but the notion of unity and nationalism belongs only to the people of the land and not to the land itself; and therefore, its true realisation also lies with the people of the land and not with the land itself.

Therefore, no amount of any diverted explanations can rationalise the absurdity conveyed in the statement:

If anything, it would spark the same fury and controversies as it is currently with the song; "Vande Mathram.."

I am shocked to find such a NEGATIVE-SPARK of Thought..

I sincerely suggest you in YOUR GOOD INTERESTS...

.. Not to harbour such an Unhealthy Non-human Spirit in you...

.. nor to justify further on your such a deleterious stand.

...You people, the present generation... are straightaway born under the Shade of a Tree planted by your Ancestors after their inexplicable ordeals and woes..

... which Tree was further nurtured by their Selfless sacrifices... as Manures.

You cannot understand the worth of Unity nor the Purpose of National Anthem...

...unless you deeply study the True Indian History of Freedom-Struggle.

Motherly spirit on the Common land of birth... is no doubt imaginery ...

..but a Healthy Spirit of Auto-suggestion... similar to AHAM BRAHMAASMI.

Rohit
7th January 2007, 03:14 AM
I am sorry, but the notion of unity and nationalism belongs only to the people of the land and not to the land itself; and therefore, its true realisation also lies with the people of the land and not with the land itself.

If anything, it would spark the same fury and controversies as it is currently with the song; "Vande Mathram.."

I am shocked to find such a NEGATIVE-SPARK of Thought..

I sincerely suggest you in YOUR GOOD INTERESTS...

.. Not to harbour such an Unhealthy Non-human Spirit in you...

.. nor to justify further on your such a deleterious stand.

...You people, the present generation... are straightaway born under the Shade of a Tree planted by your Ancestors after their inexplicable ordeals and woes..

... which Tree was further nurtured by their Selfless sacrifices... as Manures.

You cannot understand the worth of Unity nor the Purpose of National Anthem...

...unless you deeply study the True Indian History of Freedom-Struggle.

Motherly spirit on the Common land of birth... is no doubt imaginery ...

..but a Healthy Spirit of Auto-suggestion... similar to AHAM BRAHMAASMI.
I am not at all surprised with such heedless insistence on believing in such absurdities.

I can only pity those who completely fail to grasp the true nature of unity of people and the true meaning of nationalism.

I can only suggest them to carryon living in their fantasised worlds, simultaneously detached from the truth as well as factual reality.

There is no point in dragging an absurdity beyond a limit.

I suggest you to end this discussion right here, without any further heedless insistence on believing in such absurdities. Thank you.

Good luck! :)

thimuru
7th January 2007, 08:53 AM
the poet might have written the song praising the king(might have)...but its not the intention of the poet while writing which is important... the intention of the people while singing is important!

we sing it praising the nation!
:D

thimuru
7th January 2007, 08:54 AM
ROHIT,

Do u think hailing motherland is an absurdity? :shock: people ruling land is ok....but to bring the people togethor praising the motherland is important...its just a feel which brings us togethor!

Rohit
7th January 2007, 05:03 PM
ROHIT,

Do u think hailing motherland is an absurdity? :shock: people ruling land is ok....but to bring the people togethor praising the motherland is important...its just a feel which brings us togethor!
Loving, respecting, protecting and hailing the national land as motherland is not at all an issue here, dear thimuru.

The issue here is to grasp the absurdity in treating the motherland as a ruler and bhgyavidhaatha, which is no less contradictory than before. By treating the motherland as a ruler and bhgyavidhaatha, we are assigning an active role to the motherland, which is absurd. By doing so, we are providing an opportunity to those imbeciles who would ignore their national responsibilities, allowing them to transfer their share of responsibilities onto the motherland itself, which, like I said before:

The stress here should be on the people of the land and not on the motherland itself for grasping the true nature of unity of people we seek and understanding the true meaning of nationalism we want to foster in the minds of people.

I hope, I have sufficiently stressed the inherent passivity of a motherland when it comes to the real state of affairs in bringing the true unity of people and the role of people in grasping the true meaning of nationalism, which includes the understanding of the love, respect, protection and hailing for/of the motherland in its true sense.

:D :) :thumbsup:

thimuru
7th January 2007, 06:38 PM
okok...considering the motherland as a ruler?...how can we? :roll:

we have to protect our motherland...rather than the vice versa!...thats what u mean right?

our politicians have many thing to get into their passive role....said to be political policy,party policy...they have sufficient loopholes :lol:

Rohit
9th January 2007, 04:39 AM
okok...considering the motherland as a ruler?...how can we? :roll:

we have to protect our motherland...rather than the vice versa!...thats what u mean right?

our politicians have many thing to get into their passive role....said to be political policy,party policy...they have sufficient loopholes :lol:

:D :) :thumbsup:

ganesh
6th October 2011, 02:07 PM
I was wondering how many of you know the meaning of our National Anthem. I have seen Americans shedding tears when they sing their National Anthem. Come to think of it, even I get emotional when I sing our Naional Anthem, but, that is purely because of respect, not because I understand what I sing. I am not talking here about the meaning of name of places like Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, Maratha... So, I just wanted to know if I am left alone or there are many others who sing without knowing what it really means. If someone knows, can you kindly post the meaning here.

I know that it was written by Rabindranath Tagore in honor of King George V and the Queen of England when they visited India in 1919. To honor their visit Pundit Motilal Nehru had the five stanzas included, which are in praise of the King and Queen.

But, I want meaning, word by word. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi. Ilavenil, how are you. I'm Ganeh from Tamilnadu. The real meaning of the national is not as you think as it is not written for King George V and the Queen. It is written in the name of the mother India, the ruler of the minds of Indians spread From Kashmir to Kumari across Gujarat and Assam, Megalay.

Please refer to various sources available tagore university Bengal, Or watch Doordarshan celebrating 150th year of JANA GANA MANA. Bye. Keep in touch.