PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot or slow cooker recipes

raviss
14th March 2005, 08:05 AM
I recently started experimenting with the crockpot. It is great. I set it up in the morning. When you return home in the evening, the food is ready and tastes like freshly made. I use premade chappati and dinner is ready. Here is my recipe for Chole

1 can Garbanzo
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 potatoes
Chole masala and salt to taste
1 Onion cut in small pieces

Cut the potatoes into cubes and cook in the microwave for 1 min. Potatoes need to be slightly precooked. Brown the cut onions. Even if you put the onions raw, it comes out good. Wash the garbanzos. Put all the ingredients in the crockpot. Add Chole masala and salt. You need to add a little extra masala since the masala gets inside everything.
Cook on high for 6-8 hrs. You have a great chole. The potatoes come out soft with the masala soaked all the way in, but still retaining the shape.

If anyone tries any new recipes, post them here. Doing a little research on the internet any recipe can be modified for crockpot. There are just a few rules. Root vegetables need to be precooked. You need to add extra spices. Beans have to be presoftened.

Shyamala

dev
14th March 2005, 08:38 AM
Great thread... Slow cooker is very useful for office goers ,for sure... I read somewhere that all kinds of dhals are best cooked in slowcooker...

Dhum Biriyani is best cooked in the slowcooker...Hope you know that the hyderabadi biriyani is cooked overnight to get the best taste & aroma... So ,U can probably try out biriyani...

I don't have a slowcooker...so couldn't try it out... Am planning to get one soon...:)

sujathakannan
15th March 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi dev,

I don't have slow cooker now. But planning to buy soon like you. Have you done any research on which brand is good and how big of slow cooker we really need for small family..

I would appreciated your input. thanks.

pr
15th March 2005, 11:10 PM
Hi dev
Could u pls elaborate the method of preparing dum biryani in slow cooker ..
Thanks

dev
16th March 2005, 06:29 AM
Hi Pr,

I've not tried it in crockpot...But I have heard how it's done in crockpot...the initial masala making is the same as we do for dhum Biriyani... But the difference is that after layering the masala & half cooked rice,instead of the usual 45 mins dhum in cooker,U'll have to put it in crockpot & cook for around 3-4hrs...

sujathakannan
16th March 2005, 08:12 PM
Hi dev,

Can you post the dhum briyani recipe in detail please for a slow cooker. And also any other briyanis that can be done likewise in slow cooker.

napolims445
16th March 2005, 08:26 PM
I do not have a crockpot so no crockpot recipe but I have microwave rice recipe which will be ready in 30-40 minutes from start to finish. I can give the recipe if anyone is interested.

pr
16th March 2005, 09:27 PM
Dear napolims445
Please post the recipe for microwave biryani when u get time .
Thanks

napolims445
16th March 2005, 10:03 PM
Name of the recipe is-
M3P (Mint, methi, moong sprouts pulav)

I came up with this recipe recently when I had to prepare lunch box for my office and had these veggies in small quantities left and did not have time for any cutting and normal cooking ..

Serves 2 (just by itself and nothing else)

1-Basmati rice- 1.5 cups
2-Mint - 1 sprig chopped
3-methi leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
4-Moong sprouts - 1/2 cup (may be more or less as u prefer)
5-ginger garlic paste- 1 heaped tsp
6-Green chillies - 2 chopped
7-coriander - 6-10 big sprigs chopped
8-elaichi- 2
9-clove- 3
10-dalchini- .5 X 1.5 inch stick
11-garam masala pwd- 1 tsp
12-bay leaf- 2
13-salt- 1.5-2 tsp (ur taste)
14-red chilli pwd- if u think u need after u add green chillies
15-lime juice- 1-2 spoons

In kadai add seasoning as usual and then add 5, 6, 7, 8 ,9 , 10 and 12 and immediately add in the order of 4, 3, 2. and saute for a while like 3-4 minutes and then add 11 and mix it and then add washed basmati rice and half of the chopped coriander. saute for a while till u smell all flavours blended(as u normally do for any pulav or rice) and now put this microwave rice cooker and add water 3.5-4 cups of water (this proportion and also the microwave time depends on ur microwave strength) and then add salt and taste and if u think u need more spicy taste add the red chilli powder and mix everything well in water. and now microwave for 18-20 minutes and after microwave do not open for 5-10 minutes. and after that open and fluff the rice and add remaining coriander and lime juice.

M3P is ready
enjoy with any raita/pickle!!
I'm very excited about this recipe..
Please let me know ur feedbacks...

dev
17th March 2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Sujathakannan,

I've no idea as to which brand of crockpot is good...But one of my friend has a crockpot that's made from stone(not the metal one) ...& he said it's good...I believe such kind of stone vessels/crockpot etc will be available in Japanese/Chinese stores...

& regarding biriyai recipe,again, I'll have to get it from my friend... She makes one of the best biryanis... It's a calicut(muslim) style biriyani...
I love her biriyani but never tried to learn it from her...coz i can always ask her to make it for me...easier,right?.... :lol: & it might take some time for me to post the recipe(maybe a month or so)...pls bear with me until then...

sujathakannan
17th March 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi dev,

No problem. Post the recipe when ever you get it.

dev
18th March 2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Shujatha,

Bhargavi has posted a biriyani recipe similar to what i told U... can try it in crockpot after the layering stage...pls see the dhaba recipes thread for the recipe...

vm
21st March 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi dev,

Waiting for your friend's briyani recipe :?:

grl95014
6th April 2005, 04:18 AM
Crockpot Dal recipe:
Ingredients
3 cups of Toor dal or Moong dal or a mixture of both
4 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp of chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 large tomato diced
2 cups of diced mixed vegetables like carrots, beans, cauliflower, green peas
1 onion diced
pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds

Method:
Wash the dal and cover with 2 inches of water in the crockpot. Add the turmeric and salt to taste. Set on LOW for 8-9 hours (shorter times if using HIGH setting). The dal will be well cooked at this time. Add the garam masala, chilli powder, diced vegetables and tomatoes to the dal, stir well and continue cooking in the crockpot for 3 hours on HIGH. You can adjust the amount of water in the crockpot as per your requirements.
In a pan on your conventional cooktop, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil or your favorite vegetable oil, splatter the cumin seeds, add the asafoetida and green chillies and stir for a minute, then add the onion and stircook until onion is soft. Mix this with the contents in the crockpot and serve garnished with cilantro. This recipe requires little supervision and one need not be in the kitchen all the while that it is cooking to execute it. Goes well with rotis or rice.
The key to crockpot cooking is to not open the pot to peek inside. It cooks slowly and consumes very little energy and it was originally designed to be a bean cooker (all lentils and beans). So, when you are cooking beans or lentils, you can leave the cooker on for longer times on low, like overnight and the beans come out soft and perfectly cooked.
This is great for indian food like channa masala, rajma, dals, sambar etc.
I am experimenting more Indian recipes and will post any future successes.

sujathakannan
7th April 2005, 06:40 PM
Hi,

Can somebody post more crockpot Indian recipes?

gkals
29th November 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

I bought a new crockpot and i am very eager to do experiment with it.Any new crockpot recipes?.Please help me to learn crockpot cooking as iam planning to goto work soon.
Thanks
kals

Nichiro
29th November 2005, 09:53 PM
Hi Friends,
Paya , is an excellent crockpot item.
Want a recipe I learnt from a Kerala chef ?

gkals
29th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Nichiro,

Sure...I would like to know the paya recipe.Please post when u are free.Thanks for your help.Would love to know more crockpot recipes from u and other members.
Thanks in advance.
From
kals

Suja Rajkumar
30th November 2005, 01:45 AM
Hi Nichiro,
Please do post the recipe for Paya. Thanks in advance.

Suja

gkals
4th December 2005, 07:02 PM
Hi nichiro,

Waiting for your paya recipe.

Thanks
Kals

Nichiro
5th December 2005, 06:34 AM
Hi nichiro,

Waiting for your paya recipe.

Thanks
Kals
Hi Suja,gkals,
I am truely sorry. Due to some pressing work, I am not able to post the recipe immediately.
The problem is, what I have is a bulk recipe. I have to reduce it to home need recipe. This would take time.
Gimme acouple of days and I hope to post it.
Nichiro

kavikuil
20th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Rajma is yummy when prepared with crockpots. I havent tried to cook it myself (no crockpot yet) but I've tasted it and it's awesome!

My friend who made it said that she used canned red kidney beans and cooekd for 3-4 hrs. Usually she used pre-soaked (24 hrs) and pre cooked rajma and it turns out even more tastier.

nandu
22nd February 2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Sujathakannan,

I've no idea as to which brand of crockpot is good...But one of my friend has a crockpot that's made from stone(not the metal one) ...& he said it's good...I believe such kind of stone vessels/crockpot etc will be available in Japanese/Chinese stores...

& regarding biriyai recipe,again, I'll have to get it from my friend... She makes one of the best biryanis... It's a calicut(muslim) style biriyani...
I love her biriyani but never tried to learn it from her...coz i can always ask her to make it for me...easier,right?.... :lol: & it might take some time for me to post the recipe(maybe a month or so)...pls bear with me until then...

nandu
22nd February 2006, 11:44 PM
hi
i love the muslim biriyani....i saw a recipe for calicut chicken biriyani in ndtvcooks.com , but i tried it and was no where close to what i have eaten also it is not very clear......but if u badly really miss it then this site is good

Glicky
28th February 2006, 10:01 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but it looks interesting...

http://www.recipezaar.com/24139

But it makes me wonder... is a Vindaloo, just any old curry using vinegar?

vijikr
5th March 2006, 07:10 PM
hi,

what is crockpot and how does it look :roll:
never seen one may be 'll try t get it in dubai

dev
5th March 2006, 07:56 PM
Crockpot aka slow cooker... It looks similar to electric rice cooker... Diff is that it takes a very long time to cook...

gkals
4th April 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone share more recipes using crockpot?.Mr.Nichiro still waiting for your paaya recipe.

Thanks in advance
kals