PDA

View Full Version : Jangiri Recipe

PK
16th March 2005, 04:27 AM
Hello Friends,

I am new here and already like this forum a lot...there is so much of information to gain.

Can anybody pls gv me a good recipe for making jangiri...whenever i try it comes out like vada soaked in sugar syrup...but not at all like the shop ones.

Pls help.

Pearl
21st March 2005, 01:28 PM
For the Batter: -
1 ½ Cups warm Water;
2 cups Maida Flour;
2 cups Oil or Ghee;
1-2 tbsps of Curd;
2 tbspns Rice flour;
¼ oz yeast.

Ingredients for the Syrup:
2 Cups of Sugar,
1 cup Water,
2-3 tbspns of Rose Water,
Yellow Food coloring or Kesari Color – ¼ tspn;
Juice of ½ - 1 Lime,
a few strand of Spanish Saffron.

Method for making the Batter for Jilebi’s:-
Dissolve the yeast in a quarter cup of warm water & keep aside. Add the
Maida flour, rice flour & Curds to the Yeast & stir until all lumps are
dissolved adding remaining water if necessary . The Batter should be a very
smooth paste. (Not like fritter batter). Allow the batter to stand for an
hour.

Method for making Syrup:- Bring 2 cups of Sugar & 1 cup of water to
a boil stir till sugar dissolves. Cook syrup till it is one thread stage.
Add yellow food colour or kesari color, Rose Water; Spanish Saffron, &
the lime Juice. Stir well keep the syrup warm over a low heat.

In a kadai pour ghee or oil for deep frying, place on heat. When hot, fill a jilebi mould with the batter make jibebis making circles without breaking forming them into coils.
Fry well on both sides till crisp. When well fried turn and fry the other side. Remove & put it in the warm sugar syrup till the next batch is ready - remove the soaking Jilebi’s from the syrup & place on a plate.

P N:-You could use a half coconut shell as a jilebi mould or a small mug/cup/bowl with a hole made in the centre.

Pearl Subramanian

PK
22nd March 2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks a lot.

I am looking for the recipe for jangiri - the soft, sweet juicy kind..available in south India....

Once again thanks a lot for the jilebi recipe

Vaidehi Kishkinthan
25th March 2005, 09:44 PM
Jangiri is made out of Urad Dhal. You can try the following recipe that I found elsewhere on the web:

Ingredients:
2 Cups Urad dhal (available from any store selling groceries from India)
1/2 teaspoon Orange/Yellow food colour
3 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Canola or Peanut Oil
6 Cardamom pods
2 ml Rose essence (From India)

Directions:

This is a mouth watering sweet from South India. The sweet that I am addicted to and make it all the time at home.

Procedure:

Soak Urad dhal in water overnight or minimum 3 hours. Wash it thoroughly and blend it to a smooth thick batter of piping consistency adding little water at a time. Best blended 2/3 cups in 3 batches with food coloring.

For piping the batter, you can use a sturdy icing pipe with round nozzle not more than 5mm dia. Make your own (like I did): Take a thick cotton cloth 1 x 1 foot; punch a hole 3mm dia in the centre of the cloth; button stitch it to strengthen the opening either by machine or hand.

Make the syrup by boiling 3 cups of vegan sugar in 2 1/2 cups water in a 2 litre deep saucepan. Add split cardamom pods and rose essence. Keep it on low fire on one burner. Leave a heavy ladle for dunking fried jangiris in syrup.

Heat oil in a frying pan on an adjoining burner on a medium flame. When the oil is hot make jangiris* one at a time directly over the oil. Make 3-4 pieces per batch. Fry 40-90 seconds depending on whether you want your jangiris crispy or soggy. Remove them from the frying pan with a skewer or a ladle and dunk them in the syrup one at a time. The jangiris tend to float. Do not let them. With the heavy syrup ladle hold it down. In 30 seconds, they will be well soaked and ready for draining and laying out on serving tray. Help yourself hot jangiri. It is well worth the effort!

* Piping jangiris is an art. It takes a few attempts to master it. Even if it is not of the perfect shape you will still enjoy its perfect taste!

Half fill your piping bag. Or put 1/2 cup batter in your piping cotton cloth (stitched up as described earlier) and gather it from four corners and hold it like a piping bag. Pipe over the hot oil, an inch above the surface of the oil, (not a job for a faint-hearted cook) with a steady hand, a quick 2 rings of spiralling circle closely adjoining each other (as you pipe it will try to move away); continue piping small cicles in one continuous thread over the ridge formed by the spiral and finish when the small circles cover the entire ridge; break off by stopping the piping. Move the jangiri away and pipe 2-3 more. You can practice over your batter itself before trying on the hot oil.

You will enjoy every bit of your effort!

Preparation time: 2 hours.