PDA

View Full Version : The next gem from the Maestro ARR - Bose The Forgotten Hero

alias
21st March 2005, 11:24 PM
Finally Bose The Forgotten hero has been released and Man what a songs... It is released on Times Music and there are 20 songs. And they are mind blowing. Will it surpass Vande Mataram or Legend of Bhagat Singh is answer to watch. Go and buy the album

alias
22nd March 2005, 12:02 AM
Here are the list

Tracks Listing
1 Aazadi
Artist(s): A.R.Rahman
Music Director: A. R. Rahman
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar

2 Kadam Kadam
Artist(s): Vijay Prakash

3 Ekla Chalo
Artist(s): Nachiketa Chakraborty , Sonu Nigam

4 Hum Dilli Dilli Jayenge

5 Desh Ki Mitti
Artist(s): Anuradha Sriram , Sonu Nigam

6 Zikr
Artist(s): A.R.Rahman , Rafi , Rakeeb , Shaukar Ali

7 Ghoomparani
Artist(s): Sapna Mukherjee , Satyanarayan Mishra

8 Durga Pooja - Rhythm

9 Netaji Theme 1

10 Afghanistan Theme 1

11 Hitler Theme (Germany)

12 Emilie Theme 1

13 Afghanistan Theme 2

14 War Themes

15 Emilie Theme 2

16 Kadam Kadam Barhayae Ja ( Orchestral Version)

17 Desh Ki Mitti (Orchestral Version)

18 U Boat Theme (Underwater Battle)

19 Netaji Theme 2

20 Jana Gana Mana - National Anthem (Full Orchestral Version)

kbee
22nd March 2005, 02:51 AM
They are prayer songs of bengali schools. Songs are not mind blowing and will not surpass Vande Mataram

alias
22nd March 2005, 03:30 AM
kbee, you are really insane.. I dont know whether to laugh at you or shout at u... You r musically insane. Please go back and listen to Azaadi , Desh ki mitti, Dilli and otehr themes. God.,... why did u create such human beings who have no taste of music and call it school songs? :lol:

kbee
22nd March 2005, 09:30 AM
well, you listen and if you like it you say it is mind blowing. if i dont like it i say it is not mind blowing. You want mind blowing... listen to Warriors of heaven and earth. Its not only mind blowing but breath taking. Believe me, I stoped my breath after listening to the songs. You want mind blowing, listen to "oru deivam thandha poove" from kannathil muthamittal, you want mind blowing.

This is my honest opinion. usually arr songs grows on to you after listening multiple times, but htis one does not. If it does for you, great

you are a blind ARR fan, which I perfectly understand and respect, but you cant judge anyone a musical insane or musical genius. Go listen one more time, and listen to Vande Madharam and tell me.

Guess_Me
23rd March 2005, 11:33 AM
I doubt if it will surpass Vande Mataram - an instant hit. But the songs are class. And it has started growing. Some songs which I didnt like yesterday are my favourites today.

Therefore it might catch-up soon.

muzammil84
23rd March 2005, 03:20 PM
Hello Guys all songs r rocking no one can compose like that in india, we can find Indian music, Arabe, Hindu music , Western and etc... the man really rocking i am sure he compose this albem for only won national award, this year he will win 5 th award for swades or meenaxi next year for bose or rising i am sure , no one can beat his music in world :)

sanchayy
23rd March 2005, 06:39 PM
http://www.bollyvista.com/article/a/31/4496/5/

EXCELLENT JOB BY A.R RAHMAN !

alias
23rd March 2005, 09:57 PM
kbee, i am sorry if i had hurt ur feelings. Yes I did enjoy WHEA but Bose is an album which are not Bengali school songs. As I said VM is one of the my fav. unto this date. But on hearing Bose, I thought it will defintley surpass VM and defintely Legend of Bhagat singh album. No words to describe it. I dont know how did not release this album grandly. No words from Times Music, nowhere this album is to found?

kbee
24th March 2005, 02:34 AM
Alias, I dont mind at all. I am an IR fan, but does not criticize ARR of any other music directors. I am expressing my views and you are expressing your views and thats it.

Its not released grandly mainly because of the type of songs. This album is only for music critics and not for for common ppl.

Since i have a store and sell CDs I do know the pulse. I ordered 25 copies for my store and the wholesale supplier told me to take only 10 because its not a typical ARR songs. The minute I played few ppl bought the CD, but CDs like Swades, Yuva etc sold even before we open the CD to play.

If you want to buy this album its available at

www.dvdunlimitedonline.com

but if you want to find out any other details about how this album did etc, you will have to wait till the movie comes out.

Jambu Paran
24th March 2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/27/s/movie_name.7816/

and i thot it was ARR track released in telugu??!!!??

alias
25th March 2005, 12:02 AM
kbee, you have an excellent site.... Can i ask u a question. How come ARR albums are cheap whereas other albums seems to be little bit expensive? Any reason? And how did Desam go compare to Swades?

I will defintley place some others since you seems to be distributing in US. Thanks for the website. Hope people in TFM would start buying from ur site and recommeding it to other ppl. too.

kbee
25th March 2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. We do have lot of CDs in our collection than in our website. We are trying to add, but since the no. of products popup on daily basis is lot (between tamil, telugu, hindi, remix cds and dvds, we get about 10 new product / day, but only add the most import 3 or 4 to the site).

Why ARR albums are cheap compared to others - simple, because it sells a lot, so we buy in bulk, so we get cheaper rate.

Comparing Desam and Swades, we got 100 CDs at first lot of Swades vs 5 CDs of Desam. We still have 1 or 2 Desam, but we already placed repeat orders for Swades few times, not because hindi songs are better than tamil, but simply because the hindi market is more.

There is a new Shankar Hits Songs DVD from Ayngaran released. I am not sure how many times we will go out of stock, because this is THE expected DVD from thousands of Tamil ppl, because all Shankar movies so far are from ARR and Shankar-ARR have done magic in silver screen.

Thanks again for your feedback.

dinesh2002
25th March 2005, 05:59 PM
yo man..do u have arr's old releases such as Duet,uzhavan,pavithra,indira,etc etc???

kbee
25th March 2005, 06:32 PM
I definitely have Indtra and Duet. I think I also have pavithra, but will confirm today. I dont have Uzhavan, but I do have ARR hits and will see if they have any uzhavan songs.

Will update the CDs with picture today.

dinesh2002
25th March 2005, 07:23 PM
yo man..u DUET cd has how many tracks???! is it original cd man??

kbee
25th March 2005, 07:43 PM
Added Duet.

http://dvdunlimitedonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2330

This is original CD from Saregama.

Thanks
kbee

MumbaiRamki
25th March 2005, 08:50 PM
Bose - Definetely a nice album ....
But i feel Tajmahal has stolen the thunder from Bose -Of course the genre is different ....

dinesh2002
25th March 2005, 09:08 PM
to kbee...great :D:D .. but do u have the original cd which has all 13 tracks???im looking for taht! :(

Observer_Is_Back
27th March 2005, 09:22 AM
I find it mystifying. The online reviews so far are excruciatingly noncommittal, the buzz here is limited to mostly one-liners, most of them from the indefatigable dinesh2002. Why is this?

Bose is not a Tamil film, that's one obvious answer. Benegal is no darling of the masses, might be another. Also an overall jadedness has set in, audiences today are spoiled for choice and their stimulation thresholds have risen too high. Only very potent star/director/composer combinations can hope to get a reaction out of them - and even then not invariably so.

Which is a pity, since the more I listen to Bose the more I think that this is a champagne and confetti occasion. Finally an album that not only fully satisfies at all levels, but, more important, successfully delivers a new template for Indian film music, a model that melds the Indian soundtrack with the Hollywood one. We get the best of both worlds: the songs and the score, both in one swanky package, something to blissfully decode over months of listening time. One hopes that The Rising, and other ambitious films, will further evolve this model, with perhaps Indo-classical suites, jazz fusion tracks....the sky is the limit.

Bose is not the first, Sandeep Chowta's Company was a stab in the same general direction, the same composer's Time even more so. The more recent Black also attempted something similar, but none of these felt as complete, generous and fecund as Bose does. Every track on this album glistens with the attentive care, thought and research that Rahman has obviously lavished on this project, every sound feels new and fresh. The Bengali flavour that Rahman expertly works into the score is so appealing that I'm convinced that he should immediately do a few all-Bengali albums, perhaps with Rituparno Ghosh. And as always Rahman keeps the best, most rousing, songs for himself :-), delivering them with that combination of passion and glamour that is inimitably his. On a side-note, whenever I hear him sing I wonder when oh when will he work with Youssou N'Dour, the two being, for me, the best (not so much technically, as emotively) male singers in the world today.

So is this an all-out rave, do I have no reservations? Well, I must lament the lack of an Indian instrument in the orchestral passages, an indigenous thread woven through their Western fabric would have greatly added to the already high stature of this accomplishment. If we're to make our contribution to the body of Western-influenced filmmusic, then bold fusions must be attempted. But I'll note that this observation is based on poor-quality online audio, and there may be a subtle Indian presence there that I'm not discerning now.

Some months ago on this forum I argued that Rahman's commercial and artistic success were plateau-ing. What is my take on this, post-Bose? I've been pondering this ever since I heard the first thrilling sample of Azaadi online, and I think I'd say now that Rahman-fans should cautiously rejoice. Commercial success may still not be forthcoming (thanks to the jadedness that I mentioned above), but Bose successfully staves off the spiralling commercial/artistic decline that besets most great composers at some point or another. On this evidence Rahman's energy is in fine fettle. I'm not backing out on the claims I made for competing composers like YSR/VS/HJ in the South and Amar Mohile and others in the North, all of whom, I believe, are doing fantastic work (do listen to Mohile's exquisite Tanha from Gayab, the flute solo at 4:08 is the most achingly beautiful in recent memory). But, happily, Rahman continues to show what he's made of. In the end it's not so much about personalities, it's about music. If all these composers can goad each other to greater heights then music is the ultimate winner. We have some exciting times ahead of us, hold tight!

vijayr
27th March 2005, 09:56 PM
"Some months ago on this forum I argued that Rahman's commercial and artistic success were plateau-ing. What is my take on this, post-Bose? I've been pondering this ever since I heard the first thrilling sample of Azaadi online, and I think I'd say now that Rahman-fans should cautiously rejoice. Commercial success may still not be forthcoming (thanks to the jadedness that I mentioned above), but Bose successfully staves off the spiralling commercial/artistic decline that besets most great composers at some point or another."

Observer, I remember our arguments. However, Swades was also a cause for cautious celebrations(in spite of the film not doing so well in India), in my opinion, for Rahman fans. 3 songs were pretty good and Rahman's "yeh jo des hai tera" is better than some of his patriotic songs in Bose. It has more soul to it.

vijayr
27th March 2005, 09:59 PM
As for Bose not being talked about much here, maybe its because its not a TFM album

vijayr
27th March 2005, 10:02 PM
However I still dont agree with you on YSR/VS :-) Their recent commercial successes not withstanding their albums, musically speaking, have much less to offer. Chandramukhi is a huge disappointment and Raam's songs sound as if they were composed 20 years back by IR. HJ still has a chance with Anniyan. These MDs have got golden opportunities due to Rahman being busy elsewhere and they are not making the best of it so far. They have to feel lucky that their albums are doing well due to other reasons(like starcast, publicity, the movie being good etc.)

Arjuna
28th March 2005, 12:39 PM
>These MDs have got golden opportunities due to Rahman >being busy

well said Vijayr..

Arjuna
28th March 2005, 02:19 PM
Why Rahman gave music to Bose

Arthur J Pais | March 28, 2005 13:38 IST

When A R Rahman was offered Bose: The Forgotten Hero, the composer did not hesitate to take it up.

Wasn't he concerned he had composed music for too many period films in recent years -- including Lagaan and The Legend Of Bhagat Singh -- and also agreed to work on the Aamir Khan starrer The Rising? "What was important to me was that these films are made for posterity," the 39-year-old music director told rediff.com in New York. "These films are made by serious filmmakers who are taking big risks. I find it very stimulating to work with such talents."

Rahman's tunes bring Bose back

"There are times I take up a project even when many people in the business feel that the film may not become a hit," he said, adding he does not regret having worked in films like M F Husain's Meenaxi and Shyam Benegal's Zubeidaa.

More on rediff.com!

Best Of The Week

My Brother... Nikhil is touching

Review: Tango Charlie

Review: Zeher

"Those films have very good reputations and people have appreciated their music. It is important to remember that money is not everything, even in this business."

Even as he got busier with the British musical version The Lord Of The Rings, he still made time for films that he thought were challenging. The musical in which he works along with a Finnish folk group opens in Toronto in March 2006 and a few months later in London. A Broadway version is also under discussion. Each edition reportedly cost $20 million, making them the most expensive shows to open in London or Toronto.

Another important reason he took up Bose was because he was going to work with Shyam Benegal again, more than three years after Zubeidaa.

Rahman considers his music for Zubeidaa among his strongest and he attributes some of its success to Benegal's vision.

"On my way to New York, a gentleman recognised me and started chatting about my music," Rahman recalled. "He wanted to tell me his favourite numbers. He surprised me when he mentioned Zubeidaa. I thought he was going to mention Taal or Lagaan."

Benegal had let him be on his own, Rahman said with a smile. Benegal had perhaps thought the composer worked best when he was alone. "But I really wanted him to sit with me and feel how the music was working out," Rahman said, smiling. "Once we had that understanding, everything worked out fine."

For Bose, songs that had fuelled the Subhash Chandra Bose's Indian National Army had to be presented in such a way, Rahman said, that the integrity of the originals were preserved.

The movie also gave him a unique opportunity to compose several instrumental numbers. He did have a small regret: He wanted Lata Mangeshkar to sing a number but she was not available. "However, we found a newer singer, Swapna Mukherjee, and she worked out very well for the film."

Rahman has also used voices most movie fans may not be very familiar with -- Vijay Prakash, Nachiketa Chakraborty and Satyanarayana Mishra.

Many filmmakers in Bollywood like Subhash Ghai, Rajkumar Santoshi, Govind Nihalani and Benegal have appreciated his soft melodies. "But in Chennai, producers want fast and louder music," Rahman said. "Sometimes, it is difficult to convince them that soft music has its merits."

"I love composing the kind of songs I grew up listening in my younger days. In the Hindi movies, I admired the songs of Madan Mohan, S D Burman and Naushad in particular."

His respect for Naushad's work in Mughal E Azam is so intense, Rahman said, that when feelers were sent to him if he would compose a theme song for the film, he rejected the suggestion outright.

When told that Naushad, while criticising the current state of music, had also found fault with him, Rahman smiled. The senior composers are like elderly family members, he said. You hug them, you touch their feet, and they will welcome you in no time. They are like children, he added.

He had made several attempts to meet with Naushad late last year, but something or the other cropped up. Missed opportunities, Rahman said with a sigh, often fuel misconceptions and misunderstandings.

Arjuna
28th March 2005, 02:20 PM
This is the greatest quality in ARR to respect the elders - which many of the current MDs both in tamil and hindi do not have!! ARR is GREAT!!

kbee
28th March 2005, 09:43 PM
vijayr

I dont agree with you when you said these ppl got lucky because ARR is busy. I completely agree that VS's chandramukhi is a hit because of Rajini, but movies like

Manmadhan - ppl hate Simbu but yet the music is hit
7G Rainbow Colony - ppl has no like/dislike for the hero. Music is a hit
Raam - again how many ppl know hte starts, music is hit again.

Vidyasagar had his peak between 2003 and 2004 and its over. I dont think he will come back again and no need to include him in the comparision here. YSR is a raising MD, hard working. i do think that he will be giving good music for tamil ppl for the years to come, just like his father. He will rule the industry and will have atleast 30% of tamil releases in his hand.

Lets appreciate the music, after all thats all we learned by being fan of MSV/IR/ARR.

vijayr
28th March 2005, 10:09 PM
kbee like I have mentioned in my post earlier, one of the reasons I said was the movies doing well. All the movies you have mentioned have done well and that has helped the music sales too. ppl might hate Simbu but his Manmadhan drew rave reviews and was a hit because of the movie. In fact the songs were mostly forgettable. In Rahman's case even if the movies dont do well(Boys, AE, Kadhal Virus, KKS etc.) the songs have always done well. I appreciate good music too but the movies that you have mentioned, in my opinion, had just above average songs.

alias
28th March 2005, 11:01 PM
Please do not compare ARR with bunch of kids (like Yuvan, HJ, Dhina). They are still achieving the fame and money. It might take them a decade to even come closer to ARR. ARR achieved it with a frame of 2 years what IR achieved in terms of fame and money. There were ppl. before ARR trying to throw the regime of IR like Chandrabose, Deva, SA Rajkumar etc etc but they could not touch even the shadow of IR but ARR did that in a span of 2 years. Now it is turn of these young folks who are trying to throw ARR but for them it will be a decade.

NormalMan
29th March 2005, 01:08 AM
Alais cut the crap. The statistics are lousy.

Arjuna
29th March 2005, 01:45 AM
alias just one correction - ARR achieved fame in his first film itself unlike IR!! A national award is the pinnacle in anyone's career and ARR achieved it in the first movie itself!! Y cant this other lousy MDs win a national award if they claim to give good music!!

kbee
29th March 2005, 09:41 AM
Well Sivaji didnt won national award until Mudhal Mariyadhai... So the rest of the ppl are better than Sivaji? You would probably say yes

jaiganes
29th March 2005, 10:52 AM
Saw the teaser/trailer in channel V. music and the rushes look very impressive. Soon going to buy this album.

Guess_Me
29th March 2005, 01:07 PM
Well Sivaji didnt won national award until Mudhal Mariyadhai... So the rest of the ppl are better than Sivaji? You would probably say yes

At Shivaji's prime time, it was difficult to get National Award from South India. But from late 80s onwards, National Award was not that difficult to get. Only unmatched talent was required. And ARR has that and hence got the prestigious award in his 1st film itself and now has much more than any other composer.

Jacky
29th March 2005, 01:23 PM
As usual IR and Yuvan in ARR's thread!
:)

We badly need "Azaadi" from this.

Arjuna
29th March 2005, 06:35 PM
when did Sivaji win a national award? He never won a national award - have u facts right kbee!!

zz
29th March 2005, 07:24 PM
Sivaji got best supporting actor award for Devar Magan (Too late...). Sivaji did not attend the ceremony in Delhi due to heath reasons..Before his death, he was awarded the heighest in film industries ie. Dada saheb phalke award...(well juniors such as Rajkumar and Dulip kumar got it before him..)...In sivaji's case Indian Govt. has done grave injustice...Fremch Govt gave their heighest Civilian award in arts to Sivaji..Even Sathyajit Ray Got the ward before him, but of lesser category..(from what I read in Magazines)

NagaS
29th March 2005, 07:36 PM
zz, I don't think Sivaji got any national award for Devar Magan - Revathi got best supporting actress award that year.

Talking of national awards, I don't think they are really the best / deciding authority of somebody's talent, I lost hope when people like anu malik won awards and ismail darbar won it for a movie where he composed only songs and BGM was by somebody else. (ARR sure deserved the award for Roja and Minsarak kanavu. But Not for Kannaththil Muththamittaal IMHO)

NagaS

zz
29th March 2005, 07:47 PM
No Nagas..SG got the award..Infact Mahendran who was in the jury that time said how Naser missed it by a wisker.....At that time only DD was there and this issue was not covered that extensively...But there was a small news iten on this and artists like Manorama, Naser and many others praised SG and said that it is too late for SG....SG did not go to Delhi to receive it...In those days the awards were announced in Jan and were given away in April or May...Now a days two year awards are clubbed and given in the third year...Every body has become lazy...

Jambu Paran
30th March 2005, 09:44 AM
Sivaji got special award for Devar Magan....not Supporting Actor Award...

Arjuna
30th March 2005, 07:54 PM
ARR deserved a national award for Kandu Kondein Kandu Kondein!!

alias
30th March 2005, 09:21 PM
Nagas, what are u talking buddy? ARR deserved the award for KM. it is one of the sweet album of that year and I dont see any other album which could have come closer. What he had said in the interview is right. The Tollywood guys wanted fast and loud music and they do not want to listen to melody and it is very difficult to make them understand that melody and slow songs are songs too and ppl. will listen to them. And also u guys missed Lagaan where ARR won the national award. No music director had won that many National award.

jabarullah
5th April 2005, 07:05 PM
where i can d/l this mp3 bose - tfh

rajasaranam
7th April 2005, 03:03 AM
jabarullah,

D/L the songs from this link

http://www.pistatunes.com/hindi/index.php?p=2005/Bose%20-%20The%20Forgotten%20Hero&PHPSESSID=3b227852e78d05e114dbe403d4429aa6

jabarullah
7th April 2005, 11:20 AM
than you very much raja.............

but can u let me know where i can download bhagat singh in quality mp3... plssss

thanks in advance

muzammil84
7th April 2005, 11:36 PM
u can download it in www.uyirvani.com

alias
8th April 2005, 12:43 AM
Buddy, buy the CD or cassette. Do not get involved in piracy. This CD is really worth buying. It is on Times Music

zz
8th April 2005, 04:45 PM
When he debuted in 1993 and reinvented the sound of Indian film
music with "Muqabla", "Urvashi", and "Humma Humma", the media
christened him, the "Music Storm". In a recent interview, Allah
Rakha Rahman spoke about the growth of technology in the music
field, admitting that in today's times, it would be extremely easy
for him or any other composer to create the kind of music that made
him a phenomenon. As a result of creative reinvention, one has seen
Rahman experimenting with his sound in recent years, seeking out and
working with directors who have the ability to challenge him:
Ashutosh Gowarikar (Lagaan, Swades), Mani Ratnam (Peck on the Cheek,
Yuva), M.F. Hussain (Meenaxi), He Peng (Warriors of Heaven and
Earth) and Sanjay Leela Bhansali (the upcoming Bajirao Mastani).
Commercially favorable, chartbusting rhythms have given way to
artistic, classy melodies, eclectic sounds, and diverse orchestral
arrangements recorded with philharmonics world over. Shyam Benegal's
mammoth-budget, historical war-epic, "Bose - The Forgotten Hero" in
a way, completes Rahman's transition from a music director to a
maestro. "Bose" obviously is not a conventional, six-track filmi
soundtrack, but rather a 20-track album with 7 vocals and 13 tracks
from the film's score that immaculately express the mood and scale
of the film.

Rahman opens the CD with his own vocals in Aazaadi, destined to go
down as one of the finest patriotic songs ever written. Rahman's
singing brings back the passion of his very own Maa Tujhe Salaam.
The orchestration this time is grander and far more sophisticated,
with Chennai's Western Choir adding a larger than life, feverous
touch to it. Javed Akhtar's poetry captures a man's excitement at
finding out that he is not alone in his struggle for freedom. A
classic.

Vijay Prakash and the Mumbai Film Choir take over the second track
in an inspiring marching song, Kadam Kadam Badhaye Jaa. The brasses
of Rahman's orchestra sound themselves in all their glory, adding an
epic feel to Javedsaab's description of the road to freedom. The
Mumbai Film Choir returns for Hum Dilli Dilli Jaayenge, another
marching number about Netaji's leadership and the quest to march the
armies to Delhi. Rahman controls the thematic consistency in this
number by using the tune of Kadam Kadam as his bass track. Instantly
catchy and very inspiring.

Ekla Chalo begins with a soft Bengali prelude by Nachiketa
Chakraborty. It's mesmerizing tone sets up the mood blending Sonu
Nigam's soothing vocals. Javedsaab elevates his lyricism to new
heights through this call for unity. Ditto for Des Ki Mitti about
Subhash Chandra Bose reminiscing about his land. Once again, Sonu
Nigam shines with his hypnotic rendition. These numbers will grow on
you as you delve deeper into Javed Akhtar's masterful poetry.

Rahman returns to singing with Rafi, Rakeeb, and Sahukar Ali in
Zikr. Listen deeper and this call to Allah asking for forgiveness,
peace, and unity with send you into a trance. The powerful vocals
carry more of a chant than a tune, and are set to a steady rhythm of
membranophonic percussion. The lyrical plea may take a few
listenings to understand in its entirety due to the chaste use of
Urdu, but this is a very powerful track.

Ghoomparani is the last of the lyrical tracks in the album, sung by
Sapna Mukherjee and Satyanarayan Mishra. A mother's lullaby for her
child, the lyrics speak of great dreams she foresees for her son. A
soft, melodious number with addictive interludes in Bengali.

The thematic score section of the CD begins aptly with the Durga
Puja Rhythm, a traditional piece with heavy percussions and
shehnais. Diversely different from any of Rahman's earlier thematic
pieces, this one oozes with spirit and energy.

Netaji Theme showcases Rahman reinventing himself to reach alternate
dimensions as a composer. The signature strings and choir retreat
into the background, creating a warm ambience for the flute to lead,
impeccably supported by the clarinet. The theme repeats towards the
end of the CD in a slightly different version led this time through
string solos. The "Mozart of Madras" at his best.

The two Afghanistan Themes carry an eerie, epic-scaled feel, with
pronounced percussion and razzy vocals. The Arabic style strings
drive the piece with a keen Middle-Eastern flavor. Stunning vocals
in the shorter, second theme exemplify vintage Rahman.

Hitler Theme is an uneasy piece with short orchestral bursts, with a
heavy dose of strings and timpani crescendos. As any piece of music
trying to create an aura of Hitler's Germany would be, this too is a
discomforting composition in the minor key.

The two tracks titled Emilie Theme 1 and 2 are soothingly resonant
western classical pieces. A stunning blend of violin solos backed by
French horns and clarinets, these compositions and orchestrations
would make any composer proud.

War Theme and U-Boat Theme as the titles suggest, are pieces of the
score for what could presumably be war sequences in the film. Rahman
liberally plays with his brasses and timpanis as the strings help
alternate the pacing of the piece between victory and tragedy.

The orchestral versions of Kadam Kadam Badhayeja and Mere Desh Ki
Mitti are not merely instrumental versions of their originals but
rather orchestral interpretations that vary quite significantly.
Short and sweet.

The CD closes with Rahman's orchestral rendition of the national
anthem, Jana Gana Mana. Undoubtedly, the finest version of the
national anthem ever presented, this one is grand with heavily
complex arrangements. Don't be surprised if this is the version that
is used henceforth to represent Jana Gana Mana in its instrumental
form at least. Spectacular.

"Bose - The Forgotten Hero" is one of A.R. Rahman's and Javed
Akhtar's finest creations. It's lack of mainstream compatibility and
item numbers may hinder it from topping tabloid music charts, but
that is barely a price to pay for having the distinction of creating
musical storytelling of such high caliber. With three creative
geniuses (A.R. Rahman, Javed Akhtar, and Shyam Benegal) at work,
this quality soundtrack promises a very exciting movie to watch out
for

zz
8th April 2005, 04:46 PM
My last post is Planetbollywood Bose's review : it has given a clean 10/10

jaiganes
8th April 2005, 09:33 PM
ARR recreates the magic he weaved with Legend of Bhagat singh. He gives his extra whenever the movie is on patriotism. The way he sings songs is mindboggling. it takes u straight to your feelings on your country. he is an amazing artist and i only hope that he churns out more period albums like this every now and then. :thumbsup:
Good work ARR, will post a detailed review later.

alias
9th April 2005, 01:33 AM
When I read the review, I could not control myself and listened to this album. Now this is defintely No. 1 on my list, I play at my car, home and u name it.

Arjuna
9th April 2005, 09:14 PM
Again and Again ARR proves that He is the Eternal God of Music - For Him sky is the limit! He is Suyambu - Thaana valantha Kattu Maram!! Unlike others - who have many brothers helping them compose music - and produce their films ( and they all end up fighting up with each other)!! No one can pull him down!! He is always Eternal!!

IsaiRasigan
11th April 2005, 10:14 AM
all the past chorus works of Ilaiyaraaaaasa.....
I can't believe when I first heard in the cable Sony channel!

In fact ARR already "paid tribute" to IR in KKKK (the song where Gangai Amaren pretends to conduct in the movie).

8) 8)

Gaja
11th April 2005, 11:36 AM
The CDs are now available at Krishna Audio shop in Masjid India (Malaysia).. The CD price is around RM35... Go & grab a copy now !!

The songs are absolutely fabulous!! ARR has proved once again he's one of the living legend in Indian music industry...

Looking foward to watch this movie in theather....

jaiganes
25th April 2005, 10:27 AM
It is a well known fact that A.R.Rahman is the default choice to get one's feet tapping, head rocking and for instantaneously catchy music forms that remain with you and your CD rack for all occasions. Now there are many including yours truly who have doubted the genius' ability to cut down on the electronics in his song and still provide "sonically ecstatic" variety of music. Some accused that even his electronically cutdown musical pieces tend to be usually slow and take a long time latching on.

When A.R.Rahman released "Vande Mataram", he practically charged the minds of the young audience he addressed with a new found patriotic fervour which was lacking till then. He symbolised the new age "Computer patriots" whose anthem was the new reclaimed "Vande Matharam" , rescued from haughty and double speaking politicians. Yet doubters had cast aspersion over the total reliance of rhythm programming computers and other gizmos which yours truly is yet to even identify. Then came the "Legend Of Bhagat Singh" whose music left you in tears for a forgotten hero of the freedom struggle. A hero who was honoured by the soul stirring "Sarfarosh Ki Tamanna" and "Mujhe Rang de Basanti" whose colour was enriched by A.R.Rahman.Yet there were two disappointments in that movie music wise.
1.One was the BGM which was very good for any Indian film , however was not full fledged enough.
2. A full song by the maestro in his own voice was missing and that would have been the icing on the cake for any fan, particularly for an ARR fan.

The first disappointment grew when one heard the amazing musical pieces created by ARR for the "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" a chinese film. I consoled myself that it is the budget and time frame which enables ARR to go for that extra bit of perfection and perhaps in the "Legend of Bhagat Singh" he didn't have them both.
Now comes BOSE-The forgotten Hero which has completely fullfilled my wishes completely!! It has a beautifully charged song by ARR and it has musical pieces composed for a professional orchestra, which are rendered beautifully. It is when a full fledged orchestra plays the pieces, do we realize the genius of ARR. Further delight in the album are 7 songs and 12 independant orchestral pieces that lead you into the life of India's most celebrated and yet elusive Sons, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, the tiger of Bengal!! Let us dive into this sea of musical nectar that is Bose-the forgotten hero.

1. AAZAADEEE!
Though it is written as Azadi, ARR sings "AAZAADEEE" and you feel as if you are back in the old bad times of bondage and slavery that existed prior to 1947. It is a war cry for a "Naya hind" which Subhas had in mind!! And who better to issue the war cry than the person with the golden voice that shook millions of youth and made them say "Vande Matharam" all over again. The lyrics of Javed Akhtar are special again and lend value to this beautiful and inspiring song song. I couldn't stop noticing how the song lead me into a lull and suddenly came the cry "AAAZAAADEEEE" and ........ wow in one word... HAIR RAISING STUFF :thumbsup: Also worth special mention is the choir that sings "Jaya Jaya hind". Great job indeed.

2. KADAM KADAM:
What use is an album on BOSE and no mention of the marching song of INA (Indian National Army that fought the british on the eastern front). The song if you hear it in your head phone sounds even better as there are some bass violins which you might miss out if you dont use your equaliser on music systems proberly. The accoustic drums that play the marching music are zestful and literally transport you into a marchpast you had done in your schooldays. Rendering zestfully this song is Vijayprakash and Mumbai Film Choir, who have done a commendable effort.

3. Ekla chalo
It is a journey song, that celebrates the lonely journey of a travelling warrior, who has hopes of not only reaching his destination but also a destination which is free and happy!! It is a song with beautifully loaded words having many meanings at many layers. ARR supplements the song by letting sonu nigam and Javed Akhtar take the centre stage. The song is made even more enjoyable by sweet Bengali counter points sung by Nachiketa Cahkraborthy.

4.Hum Dilli Dilli Jaayenge
Another INA march song, however this one is better than Kadam Kadam in my opinion. And when the chorus says "Subhas ka yeh kehna hai" it gets you really charged up.

5. Dhesh Ki Mitti
It is a song that unravels India in a philosophical and sentimental way. Again Sonu Nigam-Javed Akhtarcombo is given the centre stage and they are able to elevate this song to another level!!

6. ZIKRR
Hold on to your breath folks!! This is the breathtaker of the album! Absolutely brilliant!!! Perfect sufi musical which gets you awestruck by the depth and zest of the music. The support vocals by Rafi, shaukar ali and Rakeeb add a mystical thrust to the song that is pulsating and nerve wracking at the same time. Whenever they sing "Hasmi Rabbi Jallallaah!!" you want to cry out "Waarre waah!!". It is pure Kundalini Raising Stuff from ARR. He manages to do aal this by vocals and one simple drum (the kind M.G.R plays in Padagoatti). Sufi-Kundalini-Ecstasy.

7.Ghoomparani

A beautiful lullaby that calls for sleep to fall in smoothly into the eyes of munni a girl child. Rendered by Sapna Mukarjee(who?) who has a vanilla voice, the bengali sweet dhol rhythms and subtle flute that seem to inject sleep intravenously into the listener's ears. Coming soon after "Nindhiya aaja" from Swades, this one in my opinion is a better lullaby as the song from swades set to charukesi is too captivating to be a lullaby. This song also reminds an Ilayaraaja fan the song from the little known Thamizh film "Adharmam" the song "Thendral Kaatrae ondraai povomaa" . Same raaga used (IMHO, I could be wrong on this) perhaps. This lullaby is a guaranteed sleeping pill for the sleepless!!

8. Durga pooja Rhythm
when this song starts, you start wondering why does it remind you of Ilayaraaja . The rhythm beats are fantastic and elevating. when it reaches a crescendo, there are waves of violins slowly and stealthily raising the mood from something cheerful to something dangerous and sinister. It leaves goosbumps and wondering what might be the sequence in movie to prompt such a music. Somewhat similar to the orchestral piece in Hey Ram where a Laavani song is soon eaten up by a majestic flow of violins. In a similar way ARR accentuates the mood of the song in the end. In the CD it also paves way for the orchestral pieces that follow this song.

9. Netaji Theme 1
This is a theme music that wold be used for a young Netaji in the movie as it is Ekla Chalo orchestrated by ARR and played by Czech film orchestra. I liked this piece of smooth lullaby.
Correction. This is orchestrated version of "Ekla chalo".
Beautiful!

10 Other symphonic orchestral pieces
As my knowledge and exposure to this form of music is limited, I will stick to only the impressions these pieces left in my mind and hence it is very subjective. I would choose the Hitler theme, Emilie theme 1, and U boat theme ahead of the rest as they evoke strong emotions.
The Hitler theme begins with a music which sounds like one that introduces villains in Indian films. Slowly it becomes grander and grander and towards the end I felt like hearing howling sounds and voices that gave a subtle hint at the spirits of holocast victims looming over the aura of Hitler. This piece left a eery feeling overall. Well done ARR!!
Emilie theme1 was a classic counterpoint where two melodies intertwine and add immeasurable value to the listening pleasure. The conversations musical coversations between the violins was more like a chat between two long lost friends. Again kudos to ARR and the czech orchestra.
Th UBoat theme is one music I would recomend everyone to close their eyes and hear. The claustrophobic effect is brought out by the score in the best possible manner. The war themes are classical carnatic conducted according to WCM idioms.!!

I am glad that ARR chose to use heavy orchestra for an Indian film instead of some Chinese or hollywod movie. My pleasure is doubled as this movie is on the grandest of freedom fighters and directed by the best director in Indian cinema , Shyam Benegal. Thanks a million for ARR, Shyam Benegal and Sahara India parivar for this fitting tribute to Netaji Subhas chandra Bose, till now a "forgotten hero". Thanks to this team he will no longer remain forgotten.

In one word this album is "UNFORGETTABLE" and I have similar hopes for the movie as well.

rajasaranam
25th April 2005, 03:56 PM
Very good review Jaiganes :thumbsup:

Hope this stops us from all nonsense of mudslinging over each other - IR-ARR fans :D
Agreed upon that 'Zikr' is the breathtaker of the album and i am very much enthralled by the lyrics in that song too well there is one word hitting right on bulls eye in between the lines which i would sing with all praises to ARR 'YA RAHMAN'.
your review has led me into a long time aspiration of mine to create a thread for the theme works of 'BOSE'

Let us all say 'YA RAHMAN'

vjrag_ind
25th April 2005, 09:40 PM
Very good review Jaiganes :thumbsup:

Hope this stops us from all nonsense of mudslinging over each other - IR-ARR fans :D
Agreed upon that 'Zikr' is the breathtaker of the album and i am very much enthralled by the lyrics in that song too well there is one word hitting right on bulls eye in between the lines which i would sing with all praises to ARR 'YA RAHMAN'.
your review has led me into a long time aspiration of mine to create a thread for the theme works of 'BOSE'

Let us all say 'YA RAHMAN'

YA RAHMAN

Arjuna
26th April 2005, 02:06 AM
I still cant believe it that this is rajasaranam - Its like being alive after a huge tsunami going over ur head :)

Arjuna
26th April 2005, 02:07 AM
Engal Idhaya Deivam Mannin Mainthan Thenpandi Singam Isai Brahma Puratchi Puyal Mozart of Madras Engal Anna Then Nattin Tsunami Bharat Ratna Varungala thamilagam Dr ARR Valka!!

alias
30th April 2005, 01:44 AM
I will not complain about Rajasarnam.... ARR music has such a power to convert a person. Long live ARR and his music