PDA

View Full Version : Singing...What is it all about???

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 05:50 AM
Here's a topic everyone would find interesting(I hope)....especially those intertested in singing (in the bathroom :lol: ) :wink: ...

Could someone please explain what Octaves are and how does one go figuring out how much one has?

Also, how do you successfully hold a tune?

I love to sing(and no, not in front of people and I won't go looking for a instructor either or I wouldn't have come here)....oh and please, if anyone does post some information, please take care to post in, ummmmm :? ...well, simple english.....I have no idea what all those A's, C's or whatsoever are when people explain about octaves....(You'll be the one providing the knowledge so don't expect anything from me :twisted:). READY, GET SET, GO!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 05:53 AM
I know I sound like I know nothing about singing and that's true....but don't go about lecturing me on how I should go and learn something first then post posts on singing :cry:

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 07:31 AM
Okay Blah Blah, Nirosha, Scorpio, Querida, and others, whats the magic spell? Huh :evil: ?

18 views and no replies? Need keyboards? :roll:

hehehewalrus
24th March 2005, 10:51 AM
Deep_Secrets,
If you are really serious about singing(without going for a tutor), I would suggest you get a little keyboard, you should get one for $40 and less, and practise some tunes from books or the net - it will get you a good grasp of notes and their frequencies. Once you can perceive the difference in sound between two adjacent keys, say, you should be able to modulate your voice to the right note.

Octave is followed in Western notation - every sound falls into one of 8 frequency ranges. The Indian notation(Carnatic or Hindustani classical) have atleast 12.

dev
24th March 2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Deep,

U can count me in... I'm almost the same as U r, in music...A big zero as to the technical terms but would like to learn music...& no idea of taking up regular classes...Hope someone will help us out...:)

blahblah
24th March 2005, 11:20 AM
Okay Blah Blah, Nirosha, Scorpio, Querida, and others, whats the magic spell? Huh :evil: ?

Can't you guess that we are no better at it than yourself? Trust blahblah to jump in if I knew atleast the ABCD of these things.All I sing is 'Mein ne ek sundar sapna dekha'-watch looneytunes regularly and you will get to know atleast that much. :cry:

scorpio
24th March 2005, 11:22 AM
Blahblah,

:lol:

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 12:59 PM

Can't you guess that we are no better at it than yourself? Trust blahblah to jump in if I knew atleast the ABCD of these things.All I sing is 'Mein ne ek sundar sapna dekha'-watch looneytunes regularly and you will get to know atleast that much. :cry:

:rotfl: ....I meant something else and you took it as bohat hi something else :lol: ....Looneytunes sing love songs in urdu :shock: :shock: :shock:

blahblah
24th March 2005, 01:03 PM
Looneytunes sing love songs in urdu :shock: :shock: :shock:

So you don't know even the Cartoon network in India is entirely Hindian now? :shock: :shock: :roll:

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 01:07 PM
Hi Deep,

U can count me in... I'm almost the same as U r, in music...A big zero as to the technical terms but would like to learn music...& no idea of taking up regular classes...Hope someone will help us out...:)

Welcome!!! Welcome to Deep's world of Ignorance (and Secrets) :roll:, You too BlahBlah :D.....So both of us are lazy and want to achieve something as big as the ability of singing :shock: :shock: ghar baithe bithay? (Sorry, do you understand urdu?)

Hehehewalrus, that sounds sensible....my kid brother has a piano so I'll just use his :lol: .....I am broke :cry:

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 01:08 PM
Looneytunes sing love songs in urdu :shock: :shock: :shock:

So you don't know even the Cartoon network in India is entirely Hindian now? :shock: :shock: :roll:

Hindian Cartoon Network :shock: :shock: :shock:... I only know about Hindian music and how good it is :)

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 02:37 PM
Scorpio, your avatar is very beautiful :thumbsup: . (Didn't I praise one of your avatars before too? :? or was it someone's elses?...now I have to look through all my posts :( because of this nagging feeling :? ).

scorpio
24th March 2005, 02:43 PM
Dear Gooshi aka deep secrets ( what an username man , sorry, woman),

If u r a Harry Potter fan, all his images must look pretty to you, isn't it?? I am also bowled by such an innocent face.. sad, that Dan Radcliffe is growing up very fast!

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 02:46 PM
Dear Gooshi aka deep secrets ( what an username man , sorry, woman),

If u r a Harry Potter fan, all his images must look pretty to you, isn't it?? I am also bowled by such an innocent face.. sad, that Dan Radcliffe is growing up very fast!

Yes, very true....Thank goodness for camera's....may God bless those who invented them :cry: ...

Atleast we will have these gemsy pictures of his to preserve his masoom chehra :) ....(innocent face)

Deep_Secrets
24th March 2005, 03:04 PM
How about sharing some vocal excercises for getting the vibratos(did I get the term right :? )? :roll:

Deep_Secrets
25th March 2005, 01:38 PM
Hmmmm...Why is it that sometimes I have trouble with singing in my normal voice? I do feel that I try to go deep in my throat to produce a sound while singing, so may that be the reason? But still, I do sometimes feel like I am tired and don't have enough energy to sing. I'll start a song and suddenly my brain will tell me that I won't be able to carry it on... hmm? Any comments? Comeon! Everyone loves to sing, right :cry: ?

Shekhar
26th March 2005, 09:17 AM

Some one went to a buffalo and requested it to explain vedas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shekhar
26th March 2005, 09:25 AM
Gooshi,

You have a passion for singing. Seriously, you should start learning Hindustani music. I don't where you reside. But even in Pakistan, you should be able to get some music teacher to teach you.
Why don't you digital record your song and put it on hub, so that we can all enjoy your songs?!!

Deep_Secrets
26th March 2005, 09:39 AM
Gooshi,

You have a passion for singing. Seriously, you should start learning Hindustani music. I don't where you reside. But even in Pakistan, you should be able to get some music teacher to teach you.
Why don't you digital record your song and put it on hub, so that we can all enjoy your songs?!!

What songs :lol: ...I only sing the beginnings...don't know the lyrics to the rest :lol: ...Actually I am not that serious, don't want to start a career or anything :shock: ...I just want some tips that'll lead to a good voice :D ..Thats all. Thanks for your reply.

Deep_Secrets
26th March 2005, 09:40 AM

Some one went to a buffalo and requested it to explain vedas :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: ...You misunderstood my purpose for writing that as did BlahBlah :D ...I meant that those hubbers get such prompt replies and I :cry:....

Querida
26th March 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Gooshi can i still call you that?
Sorry hon been busy and on holiday so didn't even see this thread till now...

looks like you and me both...but im worse..i can't remember lyrics worth a cent...just mostly hum or tha na na na...my way thru ...but however a private singer i am...i still do it...and get caught sometimes too :roll:

anyways the letters abc etc. are for notes on instruments not for singing in english...middle c (on keyboard and piano) since you have a keyboard you'll know

left hand: starts with middle c, d,e,f, g ,a, b,c
right hand: c, b, a, g, f, e,d, c
it's easier to understand just get a child's piano song book...

to sing we use do,re,mi, fah,so,lah,ti,doh(hi)
just a way to organize your scale/voice range...first doh sing as low as you can to highest without cracking....personally think desi way of learning to sing is the best way to improve...i don't know how voice training in english instruction would go..sang in choir when a kid...was highest soprano....but now i realize those are just mediocre labels and that my passion for classical (carnatic) music will never end until i take lessons....which i seriously hope to do sometime in my life...hopefully after i graduate...

Deep_Secrets
27th March 2005, 12:38 AM
Hi Gooshi can i still call you that?
Sorry hon been busy and on holiday so didn't even see this thread till now...

looks like you and me both...but im worse..i can't remember lyrics worth a cent...just mostly hum or tha na na na...my way thru ...but however a private singer i am...i still do it...and get caught sometimes too :roll:

anyways the letters abc etc. are for notes on instruments not for singing in english...middle c (on keyboard and piano) since you have a keyboard you'll know

left hand: starts with middle c, d,e,f, g ,a, b,c
right hand: c, b, a, g, f, e,d, c
it's easier to understand just get a child's piano song book...

to sing we use do,re,mi, fah,so,lah,ti,doh(hi)
just a way to organize your scale/voice range...first doh sing as low as you can to highest without cracking....personally think desi way of learning to sing is the best way to improve...i don't know how voice training in english instruction would go..sang in choir when a kid...was highest soprano....but now i realize those are just mediocre labels and that my passion for classical (carnatic) music will never end until i take lessons....which i seriously hope to do sometime in my life...hopefully after i graduate...

Hi Querida, Yes, you can use gooshi but I'd prefer the new one :) .... really appreciate your reply. First of all, I don't want to sing in English :shock: . I'm interested in Hindian :wink: music...I read somewhere that some people think that just by singing, they'll achieve the singing voice they desire, but that's not correct, they'll have to concentrate on vocal excercises more than they do on singing. So thanks for the excercise you shared.

Well, wish you best of luck and hope you succeed in making your dream come true. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts in here :) .