PDA

View Full Version : Films of Mani Ratnam

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

MADDY
27th November 2010, 04:17 PM
For naNbar Maddy:
http://manismagic.iespana.es/iruvar.htm

thanks a lot sathya.....incidentally iruvar was telecasted in vijay tv today............eclectic score, i would say.... 8-)

venkkiram
27th November 2010, 07:28 PM
For naNbar Maddy:
http://manismagic.iespana.es/iruvar.htmஎங்களுக்கும்தான் சத்யா. ரொம்ப நல்லாயிருந்துச்சி அவரோட இணையத் தளம். தொகுத்த அவருக்கும், தெரியப்படுத்திய உங்களுக்கும் நன்றிகள்.

பம்பாய் படத்தைப் பற்றி அவர் விமர்சிக்கும் காட்சிகள் கல்லூரி நினைவுகளை மீட்டெழுப்பியது. சக வகுப்புத் தோழன் ஒருவன் வகுப்பை கட் அடித்துவிட்டு தொடர்ந்து 17 முறை அந்தப் படத்தை காலைக் காட்சி - அதுவும் முதல் பாதி மட்டும் பார்த்து விட்டு வருவான்.

jaiganes
27th November 2010, 09:51 PM
For naNbar Maddy:
http://manismagic.iespana.es/iruvar.htmஎங்களுக்கும்தான் சத்யா. ரொம்ப நல்லாயிருந்துச்சி அவரோட இணையத் தளம். தொகுத்த அவருக்கும், தெரியப்படுத்திய உங்களுக்கும் நன்றிகள்.

பம்பாய் படத்தைப் பற்றி அவர் விமர்சிக்கும் காட்சிகள் கல்லூரி நினைவுகளை மீட்டெழுப்பியது. சக வகுப்புத் தோழன் ஒருவன் வகுப்பை கட் அடித்துவிட்டு தொடர்ந்து 17 முறை அந்தப் படத்தை காலைக் காட்சி - அதுவும் முதல் பாதி மட்டும் பார்த்து விட்டு வருவான்.
2nd half is intolerably bad for a mani movie.

MADDY
28th November 2010, 09:11 AM
[tscii:1bfe25ab81]http://www.indiajournal.com/pages/event.php?id=13208

Rahman was awarded for his “significant contribution to the globalization of Indian music” and in his absence the trophy was accepted by Mani Ratnam.[/tscii:1bfe25ab81]

kid-glove
1st December 2010, 08:41 PM
His best could be divided into two 5 year phases in 86-91 & 97-02. Which would be your favorite?

Mine would be 97-02.

Plum
1st December 2010, 08:50 PM
86-91, including parts of thalapathy

MADDY
1st December 2010, 08:58 PM
97-02 for me too

Dil se, Iruvar, Alaipaudhey, kannathil muthhamittal.......

Anban
1st December 2010, 09:10 PM
Kannathil Muththamittaal just for the fantastic story and screenplay.. others rejected :) mathabadi eppoyo sarakku theernthu poyiduchu.. thread-a iluthu moodunga..

prashanth12
2nd December 2010, 02:26 AM
No comparison for me....86-91.

Ramakrishna
2nd December 2010, 02:44 AM
ya 86-91

kid-glove
2nd December 2010, 03:03 AM
97-02 for me too

It looks like 3 (counting Equa) vs rest of Hub. :lol:

app_engine
2nd December 2010, 03:41 AM
mouna rAgam / nAyakan / anjali / dhaLapathi
v/s
alai pAyuthE

86-91 wins at a 4:1 ratio for me :-)

venkkiram
2nd December 2010, 08:51 AM
His best could be divided into two 5 year phases in 86-91 & 97-02. Which would be your favorite?

Mine would be 97-02.

ஆறு வருடங்கள் அல்லவா?

இருவர், கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால் படங்களால் 97-02 படங்களுக்கே எனது ஓட்டு.

NOV
2nd December 2010, 09:02 AM
இருவர், கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால் படங்களால் 97-02 படங்களுக்கே எனது ஓட்டு.mine too :victory:

Hail the BEST director of India!!! :pink:

groucho070
2nd December 2010, 09:04 AM
86-91, including parts of thalapathy+1, except I will include the whole of Thalabathi.

raajarasigan
2nd December 2010, 10:06 AM
86-91 :D nayagan, thalapathy -- thats all..

Ramakrishna
2nd December 2010, 04:35 PM
yaarum vote podra maathiri therlaiye....

P_R
2nd December 2010, 04:38 PM
nAyagan
agni natchathiram (clear winner already)

plus esstra.. : anjali + thaLapathi + meLana raagam

Thirumaran
2nd December 2010, 04:57 PM
97-02 for me too

iththana varusham irunthum innum hubbers paththi purinjikala neenga.. :noteeth:

kid-glove
2nd December 2010, 05:40 PM
97-02 for me too

:oops:

raajarasigan
2nd December 2010, 05:43 PM
yaarum vote podra maathiri therlaiye....pottachu pottachu :)

Mahen
2nd December 2010, 06:51 PM
97-02 :)

Thirumaran
2nd December 2010, 06:53 PM
97-02 for me too

:oops:

See now.. It is not about MR's movies now.. It is all about with whom MR worked in these periods.. IR vs ARR .. :rotfl2:

kid-glove
2nd December 2010, 07:12 PM
IR vs ARR .. :rotfl2:

At times, I'm persuaded to endorse dagalti's point on unrequited overemphasis of BGM and songs. Namba jananga thiruntha maatanga. :sigh2:

Thirumaran
2nd December 2010, 07:24 PM
I am pretty sure, 92-96 and post 2003 wont get any votes or only minimum votes.. :P

P_R
2nd December 2010, 07:28 PM

At times, I'm persuaded to endorse dagalti's point on unrequited overemphasis of BGM and songs. Namba jananga thiruntha maatanga. :sigh2:

Don't worry. Hub oru vinOdhamaana idam. adikkadi 'naan sariyA dhaan pEsurEnA-nu kEkka vaikkum.

enakku therinju podhumakkaL kitta avvaLo awareness ellAm kidaiyAdhu.

Roshan
2nd December 2010, 07:29 PM
I am pretty sure, 92-96 and post 2003 wont get any votes or only minimum votes.. :P

My top 3 MR movies are;

Naayagan
Iruvar
Kannathil Muthamittaal

I liked Mouna Raagam too - but after a couple of revisits - I lost interest.

Enakku pidicha moonu padathula 2 comes under 97-02 but overall quality of movies of MR eduthaa I feel 86-91 is slightly ahead of 97-02. So my vote is for 86-91.

Nerd
2nd December 2010, 07:29 PM
No comparison for me....86-91.
+1

Ramakrishna
2nd December 2010, 07:31 PM

we can see that ourselves :lol2:

raghavendran
2nd December 2010, 07:32 PM
agni natchathiram,nayagan,thalapathi,iruvar...i guess its 86-91 as 3of my fav that i have mentioned belong to that era :)

Anban
2nd December 2010, 08:10 PM

At times, I'm persuaded to endorse dagalti's point on unrequited overemphasis of BGM and songs. Namba jananga thiruntha maatanga. :sigh2: exactly .. CAMs to both the posts..

Mahen
2nd December 2010, 08:28 PM
He plays golf regularly. He makes it a point to walk regularly and be in the pink of health. And yes, he makes movies!

We're referring to ace filmmaker Mani Ratnam, who is keeping a low profile post Raavanan. However, on Wednesday morning, when the dark clouds and pleasant weather caught many by surprise, we spotted the filmmaker taking a brisk morning walk. Clad in a brown T-shirt, shorts and red shoes, the director looked like he was enjoying the walk and his little break from the movies.

On the movie front, Mani is reportedly working on the pre-production of his next film that'll be a period flick set in the 15th century. It is said that the film will be a straight Tamil film, something that his fans in Chennai are eagerly awaiting, and will be shot mostly in Kerala.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Ratnam-Stickler-for-fitness/articleshow/7022958.cms

:2thumbsup:

jaiganes
2nd December 2010, 08:47 PM
I voted for 97-02.
Inspite of my nightmares due to Sophia (who looks like a wiry man up for fancy dreesing competition) dancing to Asha paatti's voice on the beach,
In spite of the scary sight of the round trolley shot in Iruvar post "Nasser/Anna demise" and all the atrocious poems by Diamond pearl in that movie and Prakash Raj's constipated attempt to play kalaignar,
Inspite of heights of non acting by supporting cast in Alai paayudhe (which is thalai kaayudhe for major portions in my opinion)..
ManiRatnam as an entity who commands his own respect - drawing his own creative boundaries and making his own independent artistic choices really shines (only a wee bit brighter than 86-91) in 97-02. Only fear is that this phase might soon be the last of his unless he gives up his Bollywood associations like the ambasamudhram & co and bachchan kudumbam.

raajarasigan
2nd December 2010, 08:55 PM
On the movie front, Mani is reportedly working on the pre-production of his next film that'll be a period flick set in the 15th century. It is said that the film will be a straight Tamil film, something that his fans in Chennai are eagerly awaiting, and will be shot mostly in Kerala.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Ratnam-Stickler-for-fitness/articleshow/7022958.cms

:2thumbsup:remba sandhosham :D ithai naan romba naala ethirpaarthuttirukken.. :)

ajithfederer
3rd December 2010, 04:03 AM
86-91

Abso-freakin-lutely .

While 97-02 has Iruvar, the other side boasts a big number.

+1 :rotfl:

Can a ban be imposed on this fight?. It has grown more than a cancer on multiple sections across multiple threads in this forum. Nauseating across multiple levels. Atleast one has to limit within their respective sections.

groucho070
3rd December 2010, 06:47 AM

Can a ban be imposed on this fight?. It has grown more than a cancer on multiple sections across multiple threads in this forum. Nauseating across multiple levels. Atleast one has to limit within their respective sections.

IR vs ARR .. :rotfl2:Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending how you look at it, it's becoming The Hub's lifeline.

raajarasigan
3rd December 2010, 11:41 AM

IR vs ARR .. :rotfl2:Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending how you look at it, it's becoming The Hub's lifeline. :yes: ithai nambithaanga, rendu mukkiyaamana section (TFM & Tamil films) ooduthu..

Roshan
3rd December 2010, 11:45 AM
[quote]He plays golf regularly. He makes it a point to walk regularly and be in the pink of health. And yes, he makes movies!

We're referring to ace filmmaker Mani Ratnam, who is keeping a low profile post Raavanan. However, on Wednesday morning, when the dark clouds and pleasant weather caught many by surprise, we spotted the filmmaker taking a brisk morning walk. Clad in a brown T-shirt, shorts and red shoes, the director looked like he was enjoying the walk and his little break from the movies.

Happy about the bolded lines but sincee it says about Kerala, Prithviraj'a hero'va pOtturuvaarnu thOnuthu.. that's a serious concern.

P_R
3rd December 2010, 12:31 PM
15th century : Sugasini dialock alert

Kerala-va

Equa: sandhOsasivathamazhai alert

MADDY
3rd December 2010, 03:48 PM

AR fans like raghav, Roshan etc have voted for 86-91 and IR fan like Jaiganes has voted for 97-02.....................not that im saying 97-02 is losing now, but really, results are there for everyone to see......i dont remember any instance of AR-IR being discussed in other sections in last few months or AR-IR fans disturbing "genuine" discussions of others........it is completely untrue to brand this poll as a IR v ARR fight - i expect some thought to be put in here.......

Riyazz
3rd December 2010, 05:02 PM
voted for 86-91

P_R
3rd December 2010, 05:10 PM
2/3 majority for 86-91

idhu jananaayagam :mrgreen:

MADDY
3rd December 2010, 05:29 PM
fact that 27 people are having a opinion abt mani within 2 days of poll start is itself a great sign as a maniratnam fan

Roshan
3rd December 2010, 05:34 PM
Who has voted for 1992-96 ? :roll:

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 05:53 PM
Didn't think my post would turn into a poll. Apart from Jai, none seem to discuss their choices (even if briefly)...

P_R
3rd December 2010, 05:59 PM
Didn't think my post would turn into a poll. Apart from Jai, none seem to discuss their choices (even if briefly)...

What is there to discuss 'ngradhu many '86-'91 votaries-Oda feeling :lol2:

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 06:02 PM

What is there to discuss 'ngradhu many '86-'91 votaries-Oda feeling :lol2:

:lol: next meet panrEn :lol2:

ajithfederer
4th December 2010, 01:55 AM
Oh right maddy, I would so love to believe your post :).

At-least in sports section I have seen innumerable fights and in the past I have said it right there many times and I will continue to do so.

AR fans like raghav, Roshan etc have voted for 86-91 and IR fan like Jaiganes has voted for 97-02.....................not that im saying 97-02 is losing now, but really, results are there for everyone to see......i dont remember any instance of AR-IR being discussed in other sections in last few months or AR-IR fans disturbing "genuine" discussions of others........it is completely untrue to brand this poll as a IR v ARR fight - i expect some thought to be put in here.......

Ramakrishna
4th December 2010, 01:57 AM
Sports Section la IR-ARR fight nadantha maathiri enakku nyaabagam illaye Stan :?

ajithfederer
4th December 2010, 01:58 AM
I mean not arr-ir fights to be precise but between the camps.

Sports Section la IR-ARR fight nadantha maathiri enakku nyaabagam illaye Stan :?

Ramakrishna
4th December 2010, 01:59 AM
Neenga ottumothama fights, arguments-ke ban kondu vara paakreengla :evil:

ajithfederer
4th December 2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I'm just saying do it in the appropriate places.

jaiganes
4th December 2010, 02:11 AM
Well, I'm just saying do it in the appropriate places.
Adhukku thaan panjayathu raaj venumnu solrOm..

Vivasaayi
4th December 2010, 09:43 AM
gOshtinu irundhalee abiprayamnu onnu irukkumla

ajithfederer
4th December 2010, 09:46 AM
:lol:

raajarasigan
4th December 2010, 09:58 AM

Sports Section la IR-ARR fight nadantha maathiri enakku nyaabagam illaye Stan :?Vivs, I think it has be other way.. abiprayam onna irukkarathaala than goshtiye varudhungren... :)

MADDY
4th December 2010, 11:17 AM
Oh right maddy, I would so love to believe your post :).

At-least in sports section I have seen innumerable fights and in the past I have said it right there many times and I will continue to do so.

if u think all my-Plum arguements are IR-AR fights then i cant help.......let Mods decide what is appropriate in which place and people report it if they find digressive........

btw, ive always felt digression brings some of the best expressed thoughts in HUB - i dont belive in "holy cow" threads.....

Plum
4th December 2010, 12:55 PM
Actually, maddy+plum are bringing sachin-dhoni everywhere. Indha sachin-dhoni campismAla ela forumlaiyum digression ;-)

Roshan
4th December 2010, 03:30 PM
Maddy and Plum are like Tom and Jerry most of the times and at times Jeyamohan and Charu Nivedita :P :yessir:

Plum
4th December 2010, 04:52 PM
That is true of a lot of pairs. Actually. More true of venkkiram tham maddy.

Roshan is like shajiyA appO? AppappO outrageous personal-disapproval fuelled (ostensibly strictly profession related but invented) criticism paNdradhu? :yessir:

( Banned cuss word listla charu nivedita, shaji ellAm sErthudunga maaderators!)

Ramakrishna
4th December 2010, 05:10 PM
Who is Shaji?

First of all, who are Jeyamohan and Charu Nivedita?

Roshan
4th December 2010, 06:11 PM
Who is Shaji?

First of all, who are Jeyamohan and Charu Nivedita?

Avanga rendu pAerum pin-mun naveena ezuthaazhargaL, who crtiticise and contradict each other on each adn everything - for the sake of it. eppavaavathu irunthuttu - "friends" appadingRa maathiri oru impression koduppaanga, but generally avara ethirkkirathula ivarum, ivara ethirkirathula avarum - kuRiyaa iruppanga. People who know of this two can describe further, in case i am wrong.

Vivasaayi
4th December 2010, 06:16 PM
Roshan,

I dont think you can bracket jeyamohan in that sense. His website has very little attention seeking controversial entries and I havent read any post of him where he attacks others for the sake of it.

Roshan
4th December 2010, 06:27 PM
Naan oru lighter vain'la antha post paNNaen - hoping that Plum and Maddy would take it in such a way. IppO adhu innoru panjaayathu aayidumpOla irukku :shaking:

Me escape :wave:

raghavendran
6th December 2010, 06:51 PM
Mani Ratnam's next set in Kerala?

Mani Ratnam may soon commence his next project. There are reports that he would direct a period flick set in the 15th century and the groundwork is already on. Mani Ratnam, sources in Kollywood say, is expected to commence this project in some lush locations in Kerala

The director is yet to finalize the main leads and other actors and actresses for this film. More details are awaited from Mani Ratnam. Meanwhile, the director will produce a film for his assistant Shiva. This story is said to be inspired from a real-life incident.
http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/dec-10-01/mani-rathnam-06-12-10.html

selva7
8th December 2010, 01:33 PM
மணிரதனம் ஓர் அற்புதமான இயக்குனர். ஆனால் ஹிந்திக்கும் சேர்த்து படம் பண்ணுகிறேன் என்று கடந்த பல வருடங்களாக தமிழுக்கு ஒவ்வாத படங்களையே தருவதாக நினைக்கிறேன்.

பழைய மணிரத்னம் எப்போது தமிழுக்கு வருவார்?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th January 2011, 10:14 PM
[tscii:771c43f6f5]http://idlyvadai.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post_07.html

சென்னை புத்தகக் கண்காட்சி

ஜெயமோகன் மணிரத்னத்துடன் வந்திருந்தார். மணிரத்னத்தைப் பார்த்த பல இளைஞர்கள் உற்சாகமாகி போட்டோ எடுத்துக்கொண்டே இருந்தார்கள். எனது 17 வயதில் பாம்பே படம் பார்க்கப் போனபோது, என் நண்பர்கள் கூட்டம் காட்டிய அதே உற்சாகம். இத்தனை வருடங்கள் கழித்து இன்னொரு தலைமுறை அதே ஆர்வத்தைக் காட்டுகிறது. ஓர் இயக்குனருக்கு ‘இருப்பு’ என்ற அளவில், இது ஒரு பெரிய வெற்றிதான்.

neshtu koottani with jeyamohan?? if so, it wud be interesting![/tscii:771c43f6f5]

Mahen
12th January 2011, 05:58 PM
[tscii]
Mani to make ‘Ponniyin Selvan’

IndiaGlitz carried a report in December last year itself that Mani Ratnam’s next would be a period film and the ace director, who last made ‘Raavanan’, was busy with the ground works of the project.

It is almost official now, with sources suggesting that the film will be based on Ponniyin Selvan, one of the greatest works of Tamil literature, penned by arguably the most celebrated writer, Kalki.

It is said that the movie would be made on a whopping Rs 200 crore budget and would be produced by Sun Pictures, breaking their earlier record ‘Enthiran’, which was reportedly made on Rs 150 crore.

Sources have it that popular writer Jayamohan will pen dialogues for the film. ‘Ponniyin Selvan’, a fiction on Raja Raja Chola, was a highly popular novel known for its grand theme and colourful characters. It is also Superstar Rajinikanth’s favourite novel in Tamil.

:cheer: :cheer: But romba risky-ana project... :roll: CAn rajni fit this project? Could fetch him an award :)

Thirumaran
12th January 2011, 06:17 PM
[tscii]
Mani to make ‘Ponniyin Selvan’

IndiaGlitz carried a report in December last year itself that Mani Ratnam’s next would be a period film and the ace director, who last made ‘Raavanan’, was busy with the ground works of the project.

It is almost official now, with sources suggesting that the film will be based on Ponniyin Selvan, one of the greatest works of Tamil literature, penned by arguably the most celebrated writer, Kalki.

It is said that the movie would be made on a whopping Rs 200 crore budget and would be produced by Sun Pictures, breaking their earlier record ‘Enthiran’, which was reportedly made on Rs 150 crore.

Sources have it that popular writer Jayamohan will pen dialogues for the film. ‘Ponniyin Selvan’, a fiction on Raja Raja Chola, was a highly popular novel known for its grand theme and colourful characters. It is also Superstar Rajinikanth’s favourite novel in Tamil.

:cheer: :cheer: But romba risky-ana project... :roll: CAn rajni fit this project? Could fetch him an award :)

With MR's Box office record in TN is not encouraging there is no way this project being made with Mani as Director. For Sure Sun Tv will not do this.

Regarding Rajini.. the two lead roles are lesser than 25 years. Athuvum no chance.

With current hero set for Vanniyathevan, only Surya can make a mark. If it was made several years before, Kamal could have done it with easy and it would have been role of lifetime.

Mahen
12th January 2011, 06:23 PM
Allo, Ravanan crossed >5c in chennai alone..Did well in Malaysia too..Mani is still a big brand :)

Thirumaran
12th January 2011, 06:30 PM
Allo, Ravanan crossed >5c in chennai alone..Did well in Malaysia too..Mani is still a big brand :)
Why u are just looking at 5 crores alone? With the amount of publicity made and the star cast the collection is very less even w.r.t chennai. Other than chennai and Malaysia (may be few oversead) no other centres it made any impression. It is a flop elsewhere. Even in chennai i think it is termed as average grosser. Whatever the amount it made in chennai also due to huge publicity and star cast. not because of content.

And indiaglitz is talking abt 200 crores.

kid-glove
12th January 2011, 06:32 PM
Mani & Madras Talkies made 100 Crores selling both versions to Reliance, I think.

Thirumaran
12th January 2011, 06:39 PM
Mani & Madras Talkies made 100 Crores selling both versions to Reliance, I think.

That is different. Mainly due to Hindi rights. In Tamil the fact is Mani is on the lower side. And for sure PS cannot be made for Hindi. At most can be taken to Telugu.

Mahen
13th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Sun Pictures to fund Mani's Ponniyin Selvan?

The Kollywood grapevine is abuzz that Sun Pictures are going to produce Mani Ratnam's next project in Tamil Kalki's magnum opus Ponniyin Selvan, a period drama!

It is said to be a big budget extravaganza which industry sources say would cost a whopping Rs 200 Crore plus. Jayamohan is said to be penning the dialogues, which would be a full –fledged adaptation of the novel. There are strong rumours that Ilayaraja may team up again with Mani.

Ponniyin Selvan, is a fictionalised account of Chola King RajaRaja 1 and one of the greatest works of Tamil literature, penned by arguably the most celebrated writer, Kalki. The star cast and other details are being worked out on the film which is in pre-production.

http://www.sify.com/movies/sun-pictures-to-fund-mani-s-ponniyin-selvan-news-tamil-lbnjm7bgghd.html

Looks like ponniyin selvan is almost confirmed :) Mani and IR? :( dont get me wrong, i have nothing against IR..neraya fond memories with MR-ARR..thats the reason :(

ajaybaskar
13th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Change is good.. :-)

Mahen
13th January 2011, 12:26 PM
:shock:

ajaybaskar
13th January 2011, 12:27 PM
I was more or less mentally prepared for this...

groucho070
13th January 2011, 12:28 PM
Mahen, no fond memories of MR/IR? I hope this kootani happens again.

Mahen
13th January 2011, 12:31 PM
That time i was still young Grouch :) MR-IR did not influence me much :oops:

Ajay, i hope this change is not permanent :roll:

ajaybaskar
13th January 2011, 12:32 PM
Mahen,

No.. Its not permanent.

Plum
13th January 2011, 12:52 PM
I dont think this is credible. I dont think a 200 cr project will be undertaken without a huge box office draw. Mani certainly isnt a 200 cr box offfice draw. IR most certainly isn't.
Even Rahman minus Rajini/Kamal might not be able to generate enough hype/viability for a 200 cr project. Wherefrom these rumours originate?

Pras
13th January 2011, 01:01 PM
Mani / IR ??

GREAT news !

hope they deliver a mouna raagam type of songs :thumbsup:

Pras
13th January 2011, 01:03 PM
That time i was still young Grouch :) MR-IR did not influence me much :oops:

Ajay, i hope this change is not permanent :roll:

mahen ... how old r u ? .. naan valarnthathu thalapathi songs ellam kettu .... neenga sinna payan-o ? :roll:

Plum
13th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Mani / IR ??

GREAT news !

ponniyin selvanukku Mouna raagam type of songsA?

Pras
13th January 2011, 01:08 PM
Mani / IR ??

GREAT news !

ponniyin selvanukku Mouna raagam type of songsA?

mouna raagam alavukku nalla hit songs-nu solla vanthen-paa 8-)

Scale
13th January 2011, 01:14 PM
Sun TVla oru naal paarpaaingha....

Plum
13th January 2011, 01:15 PM
"andha aLavukku hit"-na enna aLavukOl koNdu vandhirukkIngaLA?

Roshan
13th January 2011, 01:15 PM
200 Cr, IR, Sun Pictures, AR idhellaam vidunga..

What about the cast ? Adha paththi yaaravathu yOsicheengaLaa? Prithviraj, Madhavan, ivangaLa pOttu ponniyin Selvan paNNa mudiyaathu.. Even Surya I doubt. Dhanush, Simbu, Jeeva, Jeyam Ravi, Karthi ivangaLa nenechum paakka mudiyaathu.. Vikram is not markatable for 200 Cr project.

Nadakkaathunnu thOnuthu.. or to be more precise nadakka koodaathu.

Even if MR goes for it - my sincere wish is that AR stays away, because IMO Mani can never pull the great PS off !

complicateur
13th January 2011, 01:17 PM
Roshan,
I think it is fairly safe to say it wont happen.

Plum
13th January 2011, 01:18 PM
Adaptation dhAnE - Mani will set it in Modern Day Saharanpur and make it do-able with maddy, Aicewarya, Apisek, piruthiviraj etc appO enna seivInga appO enna seivInga? :poke:

Phoolmati ka Beta - indhi title epdi irukku?

Roshan
13th January 2011, 01:20 PM
Roshan,
I think it is fairly safe to say it wont happen.

Yeah.. I think so too .. Marudha NaayagatheyE risk'nu nenekiRavanga - MR Ponniyin Selvan paNRatha eppadi anumathippaanga.

complicateur
13th January 2011, 01:21 PM
That would be akin to renaming VanthiyathEvan Vallavarayan as Walter Vetrivel.

Pras
13th January 2011, 01:22 PM
That would be akin to renaming VanthiyathEvan Vallavarayan as Walter Vetrivel.

MR bathila P.Vasu pottudalaam-nu solluringalaa ? :roll:

P_R
13th January 2011, 01:23 PM
Phoolmati ka Beta :rotfl3:
yEdho thittura maadhiri irukku.

moolakkadhai kalki'ku badhila griha shoba-vA?

Mahen
13th January 2011, 01:23 PM
PS will be a period film Plumji :)

Roshan, PS is definitely gona happen...Indiaglitz have confirmed this

complicateur
13th January 2011, 01:24 PM
Roshan,
MaruthanAyagam is a political risk. Too many communal implications in that film and I dont think it would be possible to make a good film on Yusuf Khan without those undertones.

Ponniyin Selvan does not pose any such threats. It is just a page turner. The reason I say it won't happen is that MR is just not in the place to be able to do it. It is a personal opinion rather than one based on any data.

P_R
13th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Kamal should be barred from participating in this venture.

மத்தபடி யாராவது ஏதாவது செஞ்சுட்டு போகட்டும்.

Realistically it will be the only chance of me experiencing what has come to be regarded as some sort of cornerstone in Tamil culture. படமா பார்த்தா தான் உண்டு.

படிச்சதில்லைங்கறதால, "குந்தவைக்கு கோவை சரளாவா!" அப்பிடின்னு எல்லாம் நான் அதிர்ச்சி ஆக மாட்டேன்.

நேயர் விருப்பம். ஒரே ஒரு பாட்டு உதித் நாராயண் பாடணும்.

Roshan
13th January 2011, 01:31 PM
Roshan,
MaruthanAyagam is a political risk. Too many communal implications in that film and I dont think it would be possible to make a good film on Yusuf Khan without those undertones.

Ponniyin Selvan does not pose any such threats. It is just a page turner. The reason I say it won't happen is that MR is just not in the place to be able to do it. It is a personal opinion rather than one based on any data.

Correct !

Mahen, manasa thaLaRa vidaatheenga :) Indiaglitz sonnathellaam nadanthirunthaa intha ulagam eppavO azhinjirukkum :lol: MeeRi nadanthaalum be immensely happy that AR is out of it. I simply dont want AR to do a Ponniyin Selvan with Maniratnam. Aaamaam !!!!!

Plum, what does that Hindi title mean ?

Mahen
13th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Roshan,

Then who can? :roll: Ravanan effect-ta? :?

Roshan
13th January 2011, 01:35 PM
Kamal should be barred from participating in this venture.

மத்தபடி யாராவது ஏதாவது செஞ்சுட்டு போகட்டும்.

Realistically it will be the only chance of me experiencing what has come to be regarded as some sort of cornerstone in Tamil culture. படமா பார்த்தா தான் உண்டு.

Oru question, ungaLukku Ramayanam paththi ethuvumae theriyaama irunthu - neenga Ravanan paarthuthaan Ramayanatha paththi therinjukanumnu oru nilamai irunthirunthaa.. Ramayanam paththi unga conclusion ennavaa irunthirukkum ?

Plum
13th January 2011, 01:36 PM
oNNUm rip-roaringly funny ellAM illai Roshan
Phoolmati - very common name in North indies among common folk. pooVayi apdinnu translate paNNikkalAm.
Beta = Son.

A more equivalent translation into tamil would be mangamma magan, rather than ponniyin selvan

P_R
13th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Oru question, ungaLukku Ramayanam paththi ethuvumae theriyaama irunthu - neenga Ravanan paarthuthaan Ramayanatha paththi therinjukanumnu oru nilamai irunthirunthaa.. Ramayanam paththi unga conclusion ennavaa irunthirukkum ?

:lol: நிலைமை கவலைக்கிடமாயிருக்கும்.

However I thought this was not going to be a 'modern interpretation' and was going to be a historical. So I assumed a faithful adaptation. Atleast கதை என்னான்னு தெரிஞ்சுக்க பிரயோஜனப்படும்.

complicateur
13th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Mahen,
It has nothing to do with RaavaNan. The time and stress involved in making something of this magnitude is not easy. In an industry that is as disorganized as the thamizh film industry it will just make it worse. The logistics are daunting mostly.
Creatively there isnt much to worry about other than casting maybe, but I am sure that there are troves of excellent actors that can be found if necessary. I trust MR to cast conscientiously (except when it comes to the Bachchans). He can write a taut screenplay and I'm sure someone can do the dialogs justice (not Suhasini). On paper it is doable. Shooting it is a whole different ball game.

Mahen
13th January 2011, 01:49 PM
oh ok.. :) I thought many are against MR doing this project because of Ravanan..

Dialogues will be handled jayamohan :)

Thirumaran
13th January 2011, 01:49 PM
Adaptation dhAnE - Mani will set it in Modern Day Saharanpur and make it do-able with maddy, Aicewarya, Apisek, piruthiviraj etc appO enna seivInga appO enna seivInga? :poke:

And Dialogue Suhasini :redjump:

Roshan
13th January 2011, 02:08 PM
oh ok.. :) I thought many are against MR doing this project because of Ravanan..

Against ellaam onnum illa Mahen.. s ellaarukku limitations'nu irukku - Mani cannot be an exception. I even have strong doubts with regard to his ability of cast, dialogues (even if it is JM or any Tamil legends). I realised as to how weak he is in the dialogues department after seeing Ravanan. Even a quarter baked director can realise what sort of crap Suhasini came out with. Adhakooda purinjukka mudiyaatha aLavukku oru director irukka mudiyumaanu oru question vanthuthu enakku. Kooti kazhichu paarthaa MR'ku intha project paNNa nichayamaa mudiyaathu. meeRi paNNa - AR adhula irukka koodathu. If it is IR, VM-um paattu ezhutha maattaar :redjump: Pa.Vi maathiri aaLungaLa vechchu yaethaavathu paNNittu pOgattum. Am least bothered. Sun TV'la kooda paakka pOrathilla :lol:

Mahen
13th January 2011, 02:25 PM
IMO,MR can pull this off as he was successful in Iruvar ..For me, Iruvar was his best film and im pretty sure PS will be better than Iruvar...

Roshan, ellam directors have hit and misses..You should come out from Ravaanan..Take MMA for example, many said it was crap and they cant believe it was written by Kamal..That doesnt mean Kamal has lost it..we all still look forward to Thalaivan irukiran and hope he comes back with a bang

jaiganes
13th January 2011, 02:30 PM

Against ellaam onnum illa Mahen.. s ellaarukku limitations'nu irukku - Mani cannot be an exception. I even have strong doubts with regard to his ability of cast, dialogues (even if it is JM or any Tamil legends). I realised as to how weak he is in the dialogues department after seeing Ravanan. Even a quarter baked director can realise what sort of crap Suhasini came out with. Adhakooda purinjukka mudiyaatha aLavukku oru director irukka mudiyumaanu oru question vanthuthu enakku. Kooti kazhichu paarthaa MR'ku intha project paNNa nichayamaa mudiyaathu. meeRi paNNa - AR adhula irukka koodathu. If it is IR, VM-um paattu ezhutha maattaar :redjump: Pa.Vi maathiri aaLungaLa vechchu yaethaavathu paNNittu pOgattum. Am least bothered. Sun TV'la kooda paakka pOrathilla :lol:
dont u know that Raasa decided not to work with Pa.Visai?
he is also in the banned list. If it is a period film with IR, then it would be Mu.Ka, Mu Mehta, Arivu madhi, Na.Muthukumar, Pazhani bharathi for a IR album.
Pa.Vjai eppavo VM listla vandhaachu.

Roshan
13th January 2011, 02:32 PM
IMO,MR can pull this off as he was successful in Iruvar ..For me, Iruvar was his best film and im pretty sure PS will be better than Iruvar...

Roshan, ellam directors have hit and misses..You should come out from Ravaanan..Take MMA for example, many said it was crap and they cant believe it was written by Kamal..That doesnt mean Kamal has lost it..we all still look forward to Thalaivan irukiran and hope he comes back with a bang

Ravanan was just an example to show his weakness with dialogues too.. I am saying based on many other aspects including casting. He cant pull it off.. Oru gut feeling'nu kooda vechukalaam.

Naan MMA innum paakkala so unable to comment on that. Thalaivan irukkiRaan ellaam vanthathukku appuRam paesikkalaam.

raajarasigan
13th January 2011, 02:34 PM
Take MMA for example, many said it was crap and they cant believe it was written by Kamal..That doesnt mean Kamal has lost it..yaar indha Many :roll: Raavanan with MMA'va :sigh2:

kid-glove
13th January 2011, 02:39 PM
Mani saar, Go back to Madras I say !

Mahen
13th January 2011, 03:03 PM
Take MMA for example, many said it was crap and they cant believe it was written by Kamal..That doesnt mean Kamal has lost it..yaar indha Many :roll: Raavanan with MMA'va :sigh2:

Many RR..not sure abt hubbers..but people around me(family/colleagues/sibling's friends/my friends) hated MMA..WOM was very bad here..Ravanan kuda intha matiri bad WOM illai..the response was mixed for ravanan..

kid-glove
13th January 2011, 03:12 PM
:lol: As someone who actually digged it, I'm sad to say that Raavanan is hated mercilessly to such level of magnitude than all other films of 2010 combined.

MMA, AFAIK, is derided by the usual quarters. Others have loved, liked or found it Okay. Not 'hate'. It's also a very minor 'lighter' film by Kamal. And has all the chances of aging into one of the better films of Kamal-KSR till-date.

raajarasigan
13th January 2011, 03:20 PM
Mahen,

Not sure about Malaysia.. but at least here, the WOM was NOT so bad as Raavanan. Agree that MMA is more of a multiplex audience film. Still, it ends up with decent family entertainer tag among the neutral audience.

Mahen
13th January 2011, 03:22 PM
:lol: As someone who actually digged it, Raavanan is hated mercilessly to such level of magnitude than all other films of 2010 combined.

MMA, AFAIK, is derided by the usual quarters. Others have loved, liked or found it Okay. Not 'hate'. It's also a very minor 'lighter' film by Kamal. And has all the chances of aging into one of the better films of Kamal-KSR till-date.

Ravanan was hated in the hub..athu unmai :) but collection wise, it did well here..MMA was well received in hub but collection wise not so impressive..

Btw, im not against MMA..in fact i liked the movie... :)

kid-glove
13th January 2011, 03:23 PM
MMA's collections >> Raavanan AFAIK.

Mahen
13th January 2011, 03:25 PM

Chennai? Malaysia definitely no..

Pras
13th January 2011, 03:27 PM

Chennai? Malaysia definitely no..

chennai-yum illa :notthatway: ... kid-glove aanest-a poi solluraaru ... kamal iLuthathukku bathiladi ... btw, why kamal inge vanthaar ? :roll:

raajarasigan
13th January 2011, 03:35 PM
I don't have any collection reports. In fact, I don't believe those usually. AFAIK, both MMA / Raavanan are in same league targetting only multiplex audience. In multiplex, MMA was well received than Raavanan. The collection must be better.

kid-glove
13th January 2011, 04:08 PM
Pras,

Chumma adichu vidrEnu solringa. So did some googling to back up what I'm hearing from friends and acquaintances.

MMA released in almost double the no. of prints to Raavanan. 700 v/s 350.

CBO figures like this. Considering BW calculation are always edgy when it comes to Kamal films, MMA in two weeks still made around 4 Cr. While Raavanan made about 4.8 Cr in 3 weeks, in considerably less number of screens.

In Malaysia. I'm not even sure about BoxofficeMojo with bizarrely late inclusion of MMA in its second week. If it just made 44k on second weekend, one would expect majority of rest (600k odd) to crop up in the previous week. Still, if we were to use the figures. 900k(Overall for R) -650k (tentative till 9 Jan) = 250k, ARound 1 Crores. Have to wait and watch if MMA'd surpass R.

And all this when you consider MMA is a light entertainer as against Mani's ambitious Ramayana adaptation with a huge star cast.

Roshan
13th January 2011, 04:16 PM
k_g to himself : ennaiyum arasiyalvaadhi aakkitaangaLae :lol:

kid-glove
13th January 2011, 04:26 PM

But to tell the truth, Naan epavumE appadi parthadhu illa. I develop a mild interest in commercial side of things. Nalla Timepass kooda. :)

kalyan
15th January 2011, 09:25 AM

:lol: நிலைமை கவலைக்கிடமாயிருக்கும்.

However I thought this was not going to be a 'modern interpretation' and was going to be a historical. So I assumed a faithful adaptation. Atleast கதை என்னான்னு தெரிஞ்சுக்க
பிரயோஜனப்படும்.

'modern misinterpretation' would be the better way to put it, especially after watching 'Raavanan' :lol:

Plum
15th January 2011, 09:42 AM
Ponniyin selvan serial dhaan makkaL TV-la announce Agi irukku. Adhuvum public audition for actors (auction?) Nadaththa pORAngaLAm. Idhai thaan manirathnam direct paNNA pORARA?

selva7
31st January 2011, 10:41 PM
I hope, his next venture Ponniyin Selvan would be success one.

venkkiram
5th February 2011, 11:02 AM
மணிரத்னம் இயக்கத்தில் இணையும் விஜய்-விக்ரம்-விஷால்! (http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/02/vijay-vikram-vishal-manirathnam-film-aid0136.html)

Start meejeek!

cittu
5th February 2011, 01:33 PM
Ithu nadakkuma, nadantha nalla irukkum.

varunlss12
5th February 2011, 04:52 PM
Hope this project will come tru....

printhan
5th February 2011, 05:10 PM
cchances are very low..

ajaybaskar
22nd June 2011, 06:53 PM
மணிரத்னம் தன் அடுத்த படத்திற்கான வேலைகளை துவக்கிவிட்டார். முற்றிலும் புதுமுகங்கள் நடிக்கும் இந்த படத்திற்கான லோகேஷன் வேட்டை சென்ற வாரம் திருநெல்வேலி, நாகர்கோவிலில் துவங்கியது.

sathya_1979
22nd June 2011, 06:58 PM
Meejik department?

SoftSword
22nd June 2011, 06:59 PM
direction yaru?

ajaybaskar
22nd June 2011, 07:00 PM
Music: Maniratnam
Direction: AR Rahman

sathya_1979
22nd June 2011, 07:20 PM
Nagerkoil! Kamaan Ajay, u be the hero :D

HonestRaj
22nd June 2011, 07:56 PM
thirunelveli... concatenate "la" with every dialogue written by suha

Parthyy
22nd June 2011, 10:03 PM
மணிரத்னம் தன் அடுத்த படத்திற்கான வேலைகளை துவக்கிவிட்டார். முற்றிலும் புதுமுகங்கள் நடிக்கும் இந்த படத்திற்கான லோகேஷன் வேட்டை சென்ற வாரம் திருநெல்வேலி, நாகர்கோவிலில் துவங்கியது.

அஜய் கார்த்திக் மகன் கெளதம் அறிமுகம் என்று கேள்விப்பட்டேன் உண்மையா ?

Avadi to America
22nd June 2011, 11:57 PM
Thirunelveli, nagorkovilnu sollitu.... North Indiava kaatama iruntha sariii

Dilbert
23rd June 2011, 12:26 AM
How did I miss this thread ! wow eeduku than Nov/nerd/plum poonderea periyavangea pora threadsa follow pannanam sollerdu

Scale
23rd June 2011, 09:56 AM
Not interested.

ajaybaskar
23rd June 2011, 10:52 AM
Parthyy,

Karthik's son Gautham is very much in the scheme of things. But Mani has other choices too..

AudazJay
23rd June 2011, 11:36 AM
Wonderful news! Something good to look forward to. :thumbsup:

Cinemarasigan
23rd June 2011, 04:24 PM
Mutrilum Pudhumugangalai vachu edukkurArA? not sure he has experimented like this earlier.. Anyway All the best Mani Sir..

SoftSword
23rd June 2011, 04:29 PM
AP'la maddy kooda pudhumugam dhaan...
shalini'yum top heroine ellaam kedayaadhu...
vera yaaru famous face? arvinthsamy-kushboo thavira?

ajaybaskar
23rd June 2011, 04:33 PM
Even Roja had AS and Madhubala who were 2,3 films old and also had another debutant. :-)

Cinemarasigan
23rd June 2011, 05:07 PM
Even Roja had AS and Madhubala who were 2,3 films old and also had another debutant. :-)

adhukkuthaan "Mutrilum"-nu oru word first-layE pOttEn :) .. Nobody would have imagined that "debutant" in Roja would become such a Great in a short time..

SS - yes I forgot that Maddy was a new face in AP..

SoftSword
23rd June 2011, 05:09 PM
adhukkuthaan "Mutrilum"-nu oru word first-layE pOttEn :) .. Nobody would have imagined that "debutant" in Roja would become such a Great in a short time..

SS - yes I forgot that Maddy was a new face in AP..

shorttime'ah? it took 19 years for him to grow as much as he is now... and still growing.

Plum
23rd June 2011, 05:19 PM
Apropos nothing, It took 50+ years for NOV to grow to his current size. Just saying

Cinemarasigan
23rd June 2011, 05:27 PM
I Meant that He became "great" probably around the year 2000... probably he got Oscar awards recently..

SoftSword
23rd June 2011, 05:36 PM
rite'u udunga...
summa ungala interrogate panen.

raghavendran
23rd June 2011, 07:50 PM
heard that gautham and Arya are part of the movie...Arya irukara?...AB pls confirm

Mahen
2nd August 2011, 10:38 AM
Mani Ratnam is back to his roots!

2011-08-02 09:16:51
Last Updated: 2011-08-02 10:14:00

Tamil cinema's most lauded and creative director, Mani Ratnam is getting ready to start his new film.

The buzz is that Mani Ratnam is going back to his roots and making a film that will have a Tamil milieu and flavour with new stars and technicians on a big budget.

Mani Ratnam, the marketing wizard, is looking at his first straight Tamil film in nearly a decade. Rumours are there that yesteryear romantic hero Karthik's son will debut as hero with the film.

Mani sir's last straight Tamil film was Kannathil Muthamittal (2002), which had a local flavour and nativity about it. Since then he has been only making bi-lingual in Hindi and Tamil – Yuva (Aayutha Ezhuthu), Guru (Guru), and Raavan (Raavanan).

Says a former assistant of Mani Ratnam: "The idea of making bi lingual’s worked commercially for Mani sir and his Madras Talkies. But these fusion movies were neither sincere to north or his core south Indian audiences. As a filmmaker he fell between two stools".

As a Mumbai based trade analyst said: “Early Mani Ratnam movies like Roja and Bombay were dubbed into Hindi, which worked at the box-office. Then he started making bi-lingual`s with certain actors in crucial roles being changed in both versions, which did not work to his advantage.He needs to continue doing good films in Tamil. But his urge to reach out to National audiences has been his waterloo. Yuva and Guru were redeeming in many levels, but the death knell was sounded by Raavan".

The grapevine has it that AR Rahman , Mani Ratnam's regular music director will be part of the project which many say will be a love story. However, he will be having a new cameraman and art director. Mani is moving away from his regulars like Samir Chanda and Sabu Cyril to Telugu set designer Ravinder who was responsible for the art work of Maghadheera and Mariyadai Raman.

A little bird has informed sify.com that recently Mani sir was location hunting in Thiruvananthapuram. Kerala still remains the director's favourite location. Mani sir and his trusted assistants spent a week shuttling between Thiruvananthapuram and Nagercovil in Kanyakumari district of Tamil Nadu in an old Ambassador Tourist taxi.

They have identified quite a few beautiful coastal virgin locations between Pozhikara, a fishing village in Kanyakumari and Vizhinjam near Kovalam in Kerala. In all probability, Mani Ratnam's first Tamil film in a decade will start rolling by September, when the rain subsides in coastal areas.
Welcome back mani saaar :thumbsup:

sathya_1979
2nd August 2011, 10:55 AM
A little bird has informed sify.com - :rotfl:

groucho070
2nd August 2011, 10:58 AM
I liked the "fell between two stools" line. Entha stool-nu theriyila, but nice. Adikkadi use panovonum.

Cinemarasigan
2nd August 2011, 11:05 AM
A little bird has informed sify.com - :rotfl:

:lol: ......

Good news that Mani is taking a straight tamil movie..

Cinemarasigan
4th August 2011, 06:07 PM
மணிரத்னத்தின் புதிய படம்... கார்த்திக் மகன் ஹீரோ!

கார்த்திக்கின் மகனை ஹீரோவாக வைத்து புதிய படத்தை இயக்குகிறார் மணிரத்னம். ஹீரோயின் உள்பட முக்கிய நடிகர்கள் அனைவரும் இதில் புதுமுகங்களே என தெரிய வந்துள்ளது.

ராவணன் படத்தை தொடர்ந்து 'பொன்னியின் செல்வன்' கதையை படமாக எடுக்கவிருந்தார் மணிரத்னம். விஜய், ஆர்யா, மகேஷ்பாபு ஆகியோர் நடிப்பதாக இருந்தது. படப்பிடிப்புக்கு லொக்கேஷன்கள் கூட பார்க்கப்பட்டுவிட்டன.

ஆனால் அந்தப் படத்தின் பிரமாண்டம், செலவு போன்றவற்றை மனதில் வைத்து இப்போதைக்கு படத்தை தள்ளி வைத்துள்ளார்.

இந்த நிலையில் மணிரத்னம் அடுத்து இயக்கப் போகும் படம் குறித்து தகவல்கள் வெளியாகியுள்ளன.

இந்தப் புதிய படத்தில் நடிகர் கார்த்திக்கின் மகனை நாயகனாக அறிமுகப்படுத்தப் போகிறாராம் மணிரத்னம். நாயகி உள்பட முக்கிய பாத்திரங்களுக்கு புதுமுகங்களையே ஒப்பந்தம் செய்திருப்பதாகத் தெரிகிறது. கார்த்திக்கும் கவுரவ வேடத்தில் தோன்றுவார் என்கிறார்கள்.

இந்தப் படத்துக்காக லொக்கேஷன் கூட பார்த்தாகிவிட்டதாம். ஏஆர் ரஹ்மான் இசையமைக்கிறார்.

இந்தப் படத்தை தமிழில் மட்டுமே எடுக்கிறார் மணிரத்னம். 2002 ம் ஆண்டுக்குப் பிறகு நேரடியாக தமிழில் மட்டுமே அவர் இயக்கும் படம் இதுதான். கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால் படத்துக்குப் பிறகு அவர் எடுத்த படங்கள் அனைத்தும் தமிழ் - இந்தியில் எடுக்கப்பட்டன. இதனால் இயல்புத்தன்மை குறைந்து மொழிமாற்றுப் பட பாணியில் அவை அமைந்துவிட்டதாக எழுந்த விமர்சனங்களைத் தொடர்ந்தே இந்தப் புதிய முடிவை மேற்கொண்டுள்ளாராம் மணிரத்னம்.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/08/03-mani-rathnam-new-movie-with-karthi-son-aid0136.html

one more website has come up this news..
Even

vithagan
4th August 2011, 08:07 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/08/03-mani-rathnam-new-movie-with-karthi-son-aid0136.html

one more website has come up this news..
Even

Thatstamil will replicate most of the news from Sify.:)

Mahen
12th August 2011, 08:16 PM
One of the kids that acted in Bombay is now a hero :)
http://icdn1.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Movies/konjamkoffeekonjamkaadhal/konjam11811_16.jpg

A.ANAND
12th August 2011, 09:55 PM
ivalo kodurama irukaru!

Mahen
18th August 2011, 10:47 AM
Mani Ratnam signs Rajiv Menon

Nearly a month back sify.com was the first to report the sighting of Mani Ratnam location hunting on the coast between Kanyakumari and Kovalam in Kerala for his new film.

There has been more development on that scene, with Rajiv Menon being signed as cinematographer. The film set in a coastal village in southern Tamil Nadu is said to be a love story set against fishermen turmoil written by Jayamohan who wrote the scripts of Naan Kadavul and Angadi Theru.

The film will have newcomers in the lead and will be in Tamil. The grapevine has it that it is set against the milieu of Indian fishermen fishing in Sri Lankan waters and getting caught by their navy and subsequent hue and cry in Tamil Nadu. Remember TN fishermen being killed by Sri Lankan navy is a major political issue in the state.

Mani chose Rajiv Menon because he has given him the best seaside shots in Bombay (1995) and Guru (2007). Remember the song “Uyire…” in Bombay where Menon with his top angle shots by the seaside in Bekal
Fort in coastal Kasargod created poetry on celluloid?

Mani Ratnam is going to shoot in the high seas off the coast of Kanyakumari and southern Kerala from September end.

In a way Mani sir is going back to his roots- good, meaningful, eye catching, storytelling set against picturesque lush outdoor locations.

:)............

Nerd
18th August 2011, 07:51 PM
I don't think Mani can pull this off and I sincerely hope I am wrong :-)

Mahen
21st August 2011, 08:17 PM
Mouna Ragam: 25 years of teaching Tamil cinema!
Aug 15, 2011
mouna-ragam-mani-ratnam-15-08-11

Brilliant storytelling that defied melodrama, well etched characters: Revathy’s mischievousness, Karthik’s nonchalance, Mohan’s dignified silence, Ilayaraja’s everlasting music and P C Sriram’s camera - although released a good 25 years ago, Mouna Ragam is still fresh in our memories. Considered to be a path breaking attempt in Tamil cinema, Mouna Ragam, from its outer layer will sound just like any other movie. However, the movie’s breakthrough is its unpretentious story telling at a time when Tamil movies are dominated by larger than life characters doing deeds that are above human.

Celebrating 25 years in its existence, Mouna Ragam catapulted once considered behind-the-screen performers (director, cinematographer and musician) to fame. Of them, perhaps Maniratnam reaped the most with Mouna Ragam. Not too far behind were Ilayaraja and cinematographer P C Sriram. Ilayaraja’s tunes, to this day, stay afresh and have been more than a few times rehashed into many languages and remained a source of inspiration to many songs.

After its release, people started feeling the need to attribute a movie’s success to other people involved in it – than mere actors. Ever since Mouna Ragam’s success, Tamil cinema woke up to the need of paying attention to its female characters and started scripting stronger, female-centric roles. But none could even reach the flippant, yet resolute girl’s role played by Revathi.

In the past 25 years Mouna Ragam has inspired many movies and still remains inspiration to many debut actors who want, at least once in their life time, to come as much closer to a role like that of the unyielding Revathi’s character, or Karthik’s character with a million shades of grey and Mohan’s dignified quite ordinary character. Even Mani Ratnam couldn’t replicate some of his own characters (he came real close to replicating Karthik in his Ayuda Ezhuthu but in vain).

Mouna Ragam is a stuff of legends. Movies like that get made only a few times. And Mouna Ragam stands proof for that.

Mahen
4th September 2011, 12:25 PM
Mani Ratnam’s casting coup!
2011-09-04 11:00:27

Mani Ratnam is making a pure love story set against the backdrop of a fishing village in southern Tamil Nadu.

In a casting coup the director has roped in Gautham, veteran lover boy Karthik’s son and Tulasi daughter of actress Radha and sister of Ko heroine Karthika!

Mani sir was last week in Mumbai. He made it a point to visit the house of Radha and met up with 15 year old Thulasi who is studying in the 9th standard.

Radha feels her daughter is too young to debut in films, but will take a call if Mani agrees.

It will be a casting coup of sorts if Tulasi and Gautham come together.

Remember 30 years back Tulasi’s mom Radha made her screen debut opposite Karthik, Gautham’s dad in Bharathiraja classic Alaigal Oyivathillai ?

It will be for the first time a noted hero’s son will be debuting opposite the daughter of the heroine of his first film!

Karthika's sis :shaking: how does gautham look?any pics? :roll:

Siv.S
22nd November 2011, 03:52 PM
Thalapathi goes to Bollywood

The remake will be directed by Puja Jatinder Bedi, who has worked behind the scenes for films like Mangal Pandey, The Myth and Saathiya.

An excited Puja said, "The film was made in 1991; so, I plan to modernize parts of the story as well as a few action sequences. However, I plan to keep the screenplay and the characters intact." Bharat Shah confirmed the story and added, "The project will commence after the release of Ghost (which has been directed by Puja)."http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Thalapathi-goes-to-Bollywood/articleshow/10827073.cms

raajarasigan
22nd November 2011, 04:01 PM
:shock: :shaking: moosic aaru ?

KV
22nd November 2011, 04:07 PM
jaangu hai jajakku hai jaangujakku hai? baguth achcha.

P_R
22nd November 2011, 04:26 PM
jaanE man aajaa aajaa
Kumar Sanu iruvadhu varusham munnAdiyE mookkaala paadittAr.
ennatha remake.

P_R
22nd November 2011, 04:29 PM
Fishing village subject!
வீட்டுக்காரம்மா வசனம் terrorஆ இருக்குமே.
அவங்களுக்கு "மண்ணின் மைந்தி"னு வேற ஒரு நம்பிக்கை.

hattori_hanzo
22nd November 2011, 04:45 PM
jaanE man aajaa aajaa
Kumar Sanu iruvadhu varusham munnAdiyE mookkaala paadittAr.
ennatha remake.

There was another version of Rakkamma in Hindi. A Rishi Kapoor-Juhi Chawla song. Remake song ellaam sellaadhaam. Adhanaala Originala oru copy adichaanga.

KV
22nd November 2011, 04:53 PM
tutututu thara was suttufied from rakkamma.

Plum
22nd November 2011, 05:23 PM
Andha padathula oru adi aathadi redux-um undu. Bol Radha Bol I think. Evergreen hero Rishi Kapoor(indhi sivakumar)-in 90s super hit.

tamizharasan
23rd November 2011, 02:19 AM
Fishing village subject!
வீட்டுக்காரம்மா வசனம் terrorஆ இருக்குமே.
அவங்களுக்கு "மண்ணின் மைந்தி"னு வேற ஒரு நம்பிக்கை.
padaththoda moththa dilaakE 25 vaarththaikku mEla irukkaathu. Yaaru ezhuthuna enna.

sathya_1979
23rd November 2011, 03:18 AM
indhi sivakumar
:rotfl:

Siv.S
23rd November 2011, 01:30 PM
Rohit shetty to remake Agni natchathiram with Ajay devagan :lol2:

Cinemarasigan
23rd November 2011, 05:31 PM
KodumaiyAA irukkum..
Karthik role pandravanga nallA iLamaiyA, ThudippA irukkaNum - Kajol purushan nadichA kilinjudum..
Prabhu role-kkum indhaaLu suit-Aga mAttAru.. kAlatthin kodumai..

raajarasigan
23rd November 2011, 05:46 PM
Yuva'la ivarai nadikka vachi Youth Politics'nga.. :lol2:

Plum
23rd November 2011, 05:50 PM
Karthik roleku aiswarya purusan :)Naattaamai? Amitap?

P_R
23rd November 2011, 05:53 PM
VKR - Paresh Rawal
Janakaraj - Rajpal Yadav

Plum
23rd November 2011, 06:11 PM
Casting Coup: Sumitra - Bhaduri-Bachchan, Jayachitra - Bhanu Ganesan :)

P_R
23rd November 2011, 06:16 PM

Cinemarasigan
23rd November 2011, 06:18 PM
Good choices for the supporting roles.. rogit setty-kku anuppi vaippOm..

littlemaster1982
23rd November 2011, 06:20 PM
Casting Coup: Sumitra - Bhaduri-Bachchan, Jayachitra - Bhanu Ganesan :)

You mean Rekha :confused2:

Plum
23rd November 2011, 06:22 PM
Yes LM. She is Bhanurekha Ganesan

littlemaster1982
23rd November 2011, 06:23 PM
Oh!!! New information :)

wizzy
23rd November 2011, 06:25 PM
Sil Sila'nu padame eduthirakanga :-D

Plum
23rd November 2011, 06:25 PM
Btw, I hope you all know that it has been already remade starring Sudesh "straw" Berry, Some Random Beard Face, Ektaa(of Awwal Number-Aamir Khan fame) and one more unknown face. Lata pAtti with the voice Shaking "mein to diwaani hui, sapnon ki rani hui" (Guess the tamil counterpart). Beard face does a mutiliation of Raja Rajadhi Rajan as "Raja Hum hai Raj kare".

P_R
23rd November 2011, 06:26 PM
Sil Sila'nu padame eduthirakanga :-D padam kit aagudhaa illaiyAngradhula dhaan avinga Bachchar marriage-E future adangi irundhadhaa oru pEchchu irunchch.

Plum
23rd November 2011, 06:29 PM
Andha padam vandhu 30 varusham aachu Wizzy. Fresh attempt :). BTW, the name of the 90s remake was "Vansh"

Plum
23rd November 2011, 07:30 PM
Indha threadla solla vENdiya mukiyamaana vishayam - andha Agni remake Vansh gindhila hit AgaNum(to prove Mani's greatness to northies :lol: )-nu vENdkitta kAlangaL uNdu :-)

P_R
23rd November 2011, 08:06 PM
Vansh upon a time :lol2:

kosuru seidhi: after watching AN, Bachchar apparently was took notice of sultry siren Nirosha!
Chiththi mentioned in one intree.
PC Sriramar patta kashtam engaLukku illai theriyin

wizzy
23rd November 2011, 08:10 PM
^gladrag model..same piece joke?

hattori_hanzo
23rd November 2011, 11:57 PM
Vansh..adhuvum 1992! :rotfl: indha maadhiri posters namma Jaishankar kaalathulaye stop pannittom.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cudK8MwW64I/SPJcYbnVtpI/AAAAAAAAHVU/ZynUXWjGuIo/s400/699_bi_vansh.jpg

Cinemarasigan
24th November 2011, 02:28 PM
Rogith settiAr pazhaya remake patthi ellAm kavalayE padAma, ippa remake paNNuvAr, adhuvum Ajay devagan-ai vachu...

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 02:51 PM
Here I am offering my head, get the guillotine ready Mani-fans. My blog post on Mani:

Mani Rathnam: Of Sexism and Homoeroticsm. (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2012/02/mani-rathnam-man-who-was-never-king.html)

Tamil film industry is known for glorifying the mediocre, simply because there are very few greats. This holds true for directors especially after K. Balachander decided to stop being awesome and make a couple of films with Suhasini.

I mentioned Suhasini to do a “speaking of Suhasini” schtick simply because I wanted to talk about Mani Rathnam this time.

Why? Well, simply because he is touted as India’s greatest director by many and I wanted to convince myself, knowing well that nobody’s gonna agree, that he is not. Truth is, he had a shot to greatness but somewhere he fizzled. More importantly the future might actually remember him as sexist director with slight fascination with homoeroticms at the time when women broke the goddam glass ceiling, climbed up the iron ladder and knocked the male CEOs off their chair with wooden ladle.

Blatant accusation, you say? Hallo, this is a blog and usually that’s what it’s for. Plus no one would read this considering he has no release or health issue currently.

So, if you dare, go ahead, enrage yourself here (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2012/02/mani-rathnam-man-who-was-never-king.html)

Plum
23rd February 2012, 03:30 PM
Lacks the punch, grouch. Fatherhood effects, eh? You wanted to know about the females in Dil Se. There are two of them. One of them has a hoary childhooda, abused by. soldiers and seething within. As if that was not enough, she has Shahrukh Khan doing his monkey tricks around her - you know the routine where he woos unsuspecting young women - and trying to convince her of his "immortal love" for her. The other one, unmindful of the said Khan's moroseness owing to lack of any signal from his love, gets engaged to him. Bubbly characterAmAm. And one of the ladies decides to cleanse the world of a "dancing, prancing, stammering, quivering general nuisance of a superstar". She achieves this by simultaneously performing the tricks of a) exploding a belt bomb - attached to her waist b) embracing the said nuisance superstar. Thus leaving the other lady a fiancee short. How does that sound?

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 03:36 PM
All the more convinced now. Thanks for honest criticism, plum, always valued. I guess Fatherhood it is (poor quality writingku ithellam oru excuse-adA grouch?).

Plum
23rd February 2012, 03:45 PM
Trivia that you are not interested in: yours truly travelled 4 floors down a lift (all alone) with Priety Zinta in Green Park, hyderabad during her visit to Hyd for Dil Se promotions. I could tell you of my 25 seconds with Priety Zinta...

Cinefan
23rd February 2012, 04:09 PM
Groucho,
Your take on Mani sounds so much like Raja Sen on rediff,meaning this neither as a compliment nor criticism.

Personally,didn't like your writing.

Plum,
Grouch might not be interested but I am in the trivia.Go ahead and put in words those 25 seconds.

SoftSword
23rd February 2012, 04:12 PM
25 seconds?
liftla ellaam chaina pudichu pullamudiyaadhaa?

Cinemarasigan
23rd February 2012, 05:51 PM
Trivia that you are not interested in: yours truly travelled 4 floors down a lift (all alone) with Priety Zinta in Green Park, hyderabad during her visit to Hyd for Dil Se promotions. I could tell you of my 25 seconds with Priety Zinta...

lift repair-lAm aagAma ponadhu unga unlucky..

P_R
23rd February 2012, 07:08 PM
Thought you were kidding and then you got serious in the end of the piece. So :confused2:

Plum
23rd February 2012, 07:11 PM
Cinefan - 25 secondla enna paNNa mudiyin. I could tell you about my 25 seconds with Priety Zinta in two words - nothing happened :). Anyway, adhumpEru kooda theriyAdhu appO, remember this was before release of Dil Se. Lift-ai vittu veLila varachE dhaan vada indhiya nanbargaL excite Agi sonnAnga. Lift-la irundha varaikkum EdhO kozhuk mozhuk vada indhya maidhaa maavungaRa rangela dhaan register Achu. Namakku eppOvumE taste Kerala and Bengal pakkam dhaan. North indies generally rejetted

SoftSword
23rd February 2012, 08:04 PM
Cinefan - 25 secondla enna paNNa mudiyin. I could tell you about my 25 seconds with Priety Zinta in two words - nothing happened :). Anyway, adhumpEru kooda theriyAdhu appO, remember this was before release of Dil Se. Lift-ai vittu veLila varachE dhaan vada indhiya nanbargaL excite Agi sonnAnga. Lift-la irundha varaikkum EdhO kozhuk mozhuk vada indhya maidhaa maavungaRa rangela dhaan register Achu. Namakku eppOvumE taste Kerala and Bengal pakkam dhaan. North indies generally rejetted

caburys perk ad paathirundheenganaa neenga kandippa chaina pudichu ilutthu lifta nirutthirupeenga.

Mahen
2nd March 2012, 07:03 PM
Ratnam's Raavanan part of Austrian Film Museum

Indian filmmaker Mani Ratnam's Raavanan is now part of the permanent collection at the Austrian Film Museum, which has so far only 15 Indian films in its list.

Alexander Horwath, director of the museum, was trying to get a copy of "Raavanan" ever since he saw it at the Venice Film Festival where Ratnam received the Glory to the Filmmaker Award in 2010.

"It was a glorious evening and 'Raavanan' was screened after the award ceremony," Horwath said.

Starring Aishwarya Rai, Abhishek Bachchan and southern star Vikram, the bilingual was released in 2010 -- the Hindi version was titled "Raavan" and Tamil one was called "Raavanan".

"Raavanan" is one of the 25,500 films already in the collection of the museum that is also home to a library with more than 20,000 books and over 200 magazine titles covering a broad range of film related topics. Horwath, however, regrets out of the thousands of films in his collection only about 15 are from India, including three works of Satyajit Ray and "Veer Zaara".

But he was so enchanted with the film that he saw the Hindi version and remains overawed at Ratnam's scope of engagement with both the literary and mythological aspects of his culture.

"While reading more about the project, I was struck by Ratnam's approach of shifting around the traditional role of a hero and antagonist in the service of a commentary on present day India," adds Horwath.

The museum has been following Ratnam's work since 2003 when a season of popular Indian cinema organised here had included "Dil Se". Horwath has been in touch with Ratnam ever since and is grateful for having received a personal print of "Dil Se" from the director.

Horwath has watched "Najakan" and "Bombay" the other films by Ratnam and finds him a unique figure in Indian cinema for combining a strong interest in current social and political constellations with a spectacular talent for action and musical mise-en-scene and genre filmmaking in general.

He is trying to acquire his favourite director Ritwik Ghatak's films. A full retrospective of Ghatak's films was held here in 2002.

:clap:...

Dilbert
2nd March 2012, 10:17 PM
:clap:...

this is how content less movies degrade Indian cinema views across the world. Some bunch of guys sitting in some coffee shop decide and now that's historic masterpiece.. and master's sister piece.??

Anban
2nd March 2012, 10:22 PM
this is how content less movies degrade Indian cinema views across the world. Some bunch of guys sitting in some coffee shop decide and now that's historic masterpiece.. and master's sister piece.??

Superb post brother. Nail on the head.

SoftSword
2nd March 2012, 10:23 PM

agree.

Parthyy
17th March 2012, 06:42 AM
AE ethana tava paarthaalum pidicuthu..superb movie...Surya Ubercool,Maddy great performancehttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/thumbsup.gif
cinematograpy for each character..green, red ,blue Ravi K chandranhttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/notworthy_.gif
Sid,trisha romance scenes also good..ennaala inthapadathula kuraiyae kandu pudikka mudilae...
Trish subtle acting moreover own voice nallairukku......enakku therinju trisah nadicha padangal VTV and AE
Arr's BGM in this scene http://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/clap.gif..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjRDmsUpGrc

For Surya,one of the Best ever intro for hero sema punch and BGMhttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/smokesmirk.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpkTDwN2Dw

worst clarity in you tube

Mahen
17th March 2012, 07:26 AM
Agreed..Everyone was superb including Bharathiraja..Maddy-Surya confrontation scenes ellam :smokesmirk: This is one of the rear movies Surya's acting was natural :) First mani movie shot in live sound

Mahen
17th March 2012, 07:29 AM
another superb scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnnmkXMN7JY&feature=related

Parthyy
17th March 2012, 09:13 AM
ya bharatraja-surya confrontations equally good as maddy-surya...
have to admit that i was fan of micheal surya that time.androgen-oestrogen love definition,final nappier bridge fight ..epic list goes on only blackmark - isha deol

ajaybaskar
17th March 2012, 09:22 AM
Agreed on all the above comments on AE, including the one that says Surya was natural in this film. :)

Anban
17th March 2012, 11:07 AM
AE ethana tava paarthaalum pidicuthu..superb movie...Surya Ubercool,Maddy great performancehttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/thumbsup.gif
cinematograpy for each character..green, red ,blue Ravi K chandranhttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/notworthy_.gif
Sid,trisha romance scenes also good..ennaala inthapadathula kuraiyae kandu pudikka mudilae...
Trish subtle acting moreover own voice nallairukku......enakku therinju trisah nadicha padangal VTV and AE
Arr's BGM in this scene http://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/clap.gif..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjRDmsUpGrc

For Surya,one of the Best ever intro for hero sema punch and BGMhttp://www.happylounge.net/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/smokesmirk.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpkTDwN2Dw

worst clarity in you tube

Carbon copy of karthik intro in mounaragam ..

lydayaxobia493
17th March 2012, 11:08 AM
nd of course, AE is maddy's best acting so far... bt, i lik alaipayuthe Karthick than Inba.. :smokesmirk:

Nobody can beat alaipayuthe Karthick (in terms of romance nt acting..)

My list of Mani's best romantic movies..

1. Alaipayuthe

2. Mouna raagam

3. Pagal Nilavu

4. Aayutha ezhuthu

Parthyy
17th March 2012, 04:12 PM
Carbon copy of karthik intro in mounaragam ..

way stunts choreographed,simple yet stylish with punches with killer BGM stands out makes it fresh ,dont give dejavu feel at all .

A.ANAND
6th April 2012, 09:23 PM
Iruvar – The Doomed Masterpiece

Gopala Ratnam Subramaniam Iyer perhaps knew somewhere at the back of his mind that the political saga he was about to embark on after the hugely successful BOMBAY, could be doomed for failure. What he perhaps never imagined was that he was about to create a cinematic masterpiece so brilliant and haunting, neither government, nor box-office could prevent it from engraving itself in the hearts and minds of Indian cinephiles. IRUVAR was bold, not just for it’s fictionalized exploration of the epic M.G. Ramachandran – M. Karunanidhi relationship, but for the cinematic trends Mani Ratnam chose to break, or as some may argue, return to.

The 90s were the age of A.R. Rahman’s Muqabla and Humma Humma. Shankar had stormed into the scene with a string of commercial spectacles. Audiences preferred action and gimmickry to the more simplistic, script and character-oriented family dramas that dominated the earlier years. Technology had taken over the Kodambakkam film industry and filmmaking became an excuse to play with these new toys. Audiences didn’t seem to mind either, for to be awed and nothing less, they went to the movies. Star or not, every producer was making money.

And then there was Mani sir. Neither Kollywood’s newly acquired toys, nor Rahman’s rhythms fascinated him anymore. At a time when theatres boasted of their gargantuan cinemascope screens, Ratnam stuck his middle finger up and shot his film in a classical 4:3 aspect ratio, unthinkable in an industry that has refused to even consider anything lesser than scope for decades. While other filmmakers flew to exotic, colourful, foreign locations to shoot their songs, Mani sir chose to stay home and shoot them in Black & White. Rahman’s synthesized sounds and loops were replaced with veenas and violins, thavils and timpanis, brasses and bass.

In what was perhaps the riskiest of casting decisions, Ratnam cast a living legend to play a past one. Such is the brilliance of Mohanlal’s layered performance that minutes into the film, you forget the thespian’s persona and are sold on Anandan being MGR. Equal to the task was the relative rookie Prakash Raj as Tamizhchelvan (M. Karunanidhi) who would go on to win the National Award for Best Supporting Actor for his career-defining performance. Prakash Raj was selected after talks with the initial choice, Nana Patekar failed, following rejection of the role by several thespians such as Mammootty, Kamal Haasan and Mithun Chakraborty. A magical ensemble surrounded this duo, each leaving behind a memorable presence regardless of screen time. Be it Revathy as Tamizhchelvan’s demure wife or Gauthami as the abused heroine seeking refuge at Anandan’s home, the detailing in their acts is impeccable. Lest we forget the mesmerising Tabu in her cameo as Tamizhchelvan’s lover, or Nasser commanding his scenes as Aiyya, the Anna Durai character. And yes, there was Aishwarya Rai too, making her feature film debut, impressive, yes, impressive, in a spunky double role.

Ratnam plays out the political saga linearly, starting from Anandan’s days as a struggling actor to his chance meeting with Tamizhchelvan in a studio set that sets the foundation for a friendship that would change the very nature of politics in Tamil Nadu. Prakash Raj’s role may have been slotted in a Supporting Actor category, but let it not disguise the fact that IRUVAR narrates a parallel story of two men, not just a sole protagonist. Ratnam chronicles Anandan and Tamizhchelvan’s rise in cinema and politics respectively through the first act, laying the seeds for a meeting of political ideology and influence. Tamizhchelvan writes politically and nationalistically charged lines which Anandan heroically performs on screen, sending Tamil Nadu’s cinema-mad public into frenzy. Anandan is the face of the fervor, his fans willing to dance to his every tune, yet he doesn’t know it. Tamizhchelvan spots a man capable of defining history and in what is perhaps one of the film’s most exhilarating scenes, strips Anandan off all his innocence, giving him his first raw taste of power.

Anandan tastes power for the first time.

Yet, Tamizhchelvan fears for the corruption of politics by cinema, opposing the party’s decision to recruit Anandan as a member. The stage is set for a brewing ideological clash between two best friends, held together by one man, Aiyya (Anna Durai). In one of the most telling scenes of the film, Ramani reminds Anandan that he is late for a political rally, only to realize he already knows it. Anandan takes Kalpana (based on Jayalalithaa) along for the ride, strategically making his entrance at the rally in the middle of Tamizhchelvan’s speech, just to test his power. When Tamizhchelvan denies him a ministry position, Anandan knows he has what he needs to fly solo.

Testing his power.

The epic battle scales heights Anandan and Tamizhchelvan perhaps never imagined it would. In the midst of it all, Ratnam fashions a scene of stupendous poignancy where the friends who have turned foes come face to face. The mastery of Mohanlal’s and Prakash Raj’s performance speaks volumes without any words about the war which has become bigger than them, escalated to a point of no return.

While IRUVAR is a fictionalized account of the MGR-Karunanidhi tale, Ratnam doesn’t shy away from anecdotal references. Like MGR, Anandan is shown to have Keralite roots, he is accidentally shot by a reigning villain during a movie shoot, MGR’s move to provide every unemployed man with a cycle-rickshaw to earn a living is referenced in a song, even the oft-heard rumour of Jayalalithaa bearing an uncanny resemblance to MGR’s first wife is blatantly played out with the casting of Aishwarya Rai in a double role. And this very quality of the film was perhaps its undoing, for Ratnam failed to fictionalize his script enough to escape the wrath of political parties. The film was initially denied a censor certificate by a cowardly board that seemed more vested in the interests of references to politicians still in the game. IRUVAR was eventually cleared by a special revision committee, with severe dialogue cuts, which Ratnam would mask with Rahman’s scintillating score, edited for dramatic impact. Despite the clearance, politicians threatened legal and physical action if “objectionable” portions on the Dravidian movement weren’t removed. Mani Ratnam did not relent, but eventually, exhibitors did. Was it political vendetta that forced them to do so, or a dumbed down audience more interested in the kind of political film where a man becomes Chief Minister for a day, jumps on buses and beats the living daylights out of goons, we may never know.

What we do know is that IRUVAR, for its craft and Mani Ratnam’s fearlessness, is a landmark in Tamil cinema. Santosh Sivan’s majestic frames are studied by cinephiles all over India even today. Who needs cinemascope for a film to look epic? Ratnam and Sivan reinforced that the classical ratio still stood firm as the frame to capture the most expressive compositions. Sivan deservedly won the National Award for Best Cinematography for his work. Be it the previously cited scene of Anandan realizing his power or the one where he speaks on stage with the camera circling around during the speech, Sivan’s work blended the classical style of the early days with movements better known to the post-modern era. Yet, it is his use of natural light in static interior compositions and spectacular deep-focus photography, rarely ever seen in Indian films such as in the scenes below that exemplify his mastery.

Composition and Use of Natural Light in Interiors

Spectacular Deep-Focus Cinematography

The scene Santosh Sivan fanboys swear by. Score takes over dialogues that censors killed.

Equally significant is Suresh Urs’ editing which never allows a dull moment in a film clocking in at 2 hours and 38 minutes. The juxtaposition of shots is as meticulous as the shots themselves, allowing performances to play out, milking each for emotion to the maximum. The concept of “less is more” has never been exemplified better in Indian cinema editing, as Urs is never insecure about staying on shots without cutting away, as long as the shot itself is enhancing and diversifying the value of the scene. It remains a pity Urs’ edit was marred by censor cuts. The recently deceased Art Director Samir Chanda often goes unmentioned in discussions on IRUVAR and inexplicably so. The detailing of the time period is dexterous and impeccable. From the movie sets that Anandan shoots in to the detailing of the exteriors, Chanda’s work is exemplary.

IRUVAR sees Mani Ratnam speak a cinematic language that is perhaps still alien to a majority of the Tamil mainstream audience. Yet, he maintains a mainstream format of filmmaking, replete with lip-sync song interludes, which he uses craftily as part of his narrative. One of the most eye-popping of them is the politically charged “Udal mannukku, uyir thamizhukku” interlude, voiced by actor Arvind Swamy, shot in stunning Black & White, in angles and compositions reminiscent of a Kurosawa battle scene, which finishes with a rousing ovation at a local movie theatre.

A.R. Rahman brings back the style of the 50′s and 60′s in much of the songs with nasally sung melodies, heavy use of the accordion and harmonica, and even a superlative exploration of jazz and the blues in Hello Mr. Ethirkatchi and Vennila Vennila respectively, the latter sung to utmost perfection by the amazing Asha Bhosle. It is often argued that at times the songs hamper IRUVAR’s flow, at one point, two of them literally popping up back to back. But the music and picturization are so wonderful, Ratnam makes it difficult for viewers to keep up their complaints.

Fifteen years after IRUVAR’s release, or close to forty years since its setting, the film remains topical even today. The DMK-AIADMK rivalry in Tamil Nadu still prevails, the inseparable relationship between politics and cinema still plagues creativity, Tamil filmmakers still fear to tackle mature, political subjects, while the audience has moved towards patronizing a brand of cinema that couldn’t be farther away from what Ratnam attempted with this film. Yet, IRUVAR will live on, not just as Mani Ratnam’s greatest and boldest film till date, but also the only, albeit unofficial cinematic account of Tamil Nadu’s political history.

As I conclude this recollection of my favourite Tamil film of all time, I’d like to showcase the excerpt below that exemplifies every aspect of IRUVAR’s craft, and ends with the film’s single-most memorable line.

Read more reviews on MANI RATNAM BLOGATHON:

1. Pallavi Anupallavi (Kannada) 2. Unaroo (Malayalam) 3. Pagal Nilavu (Tamil) 4. Idaya Kovil (Tamil) 5. Mouna Ragam (Tamil) 6. Nayagan Tamil) 7. Agni Natchathiram (Tamil) 8. Geethanjali (Telugu) 9. Anjali (Tamil) 10. Thalapathi (Tamil) Take 2 Thalapathi (Tamil) 11. Roja (Tamil) 12. Thiruda Thiruda (Tamil) 13. Bombay (Tamil) 14. Iruvar (Tamil) Take 2 Iruvar (Tamil) 15. Dil Se…(Hindi)

http://madaboutmoviez.com/2012/04/05/iruvar-the-doomed-masterpiece/

Mahen
7th April 2012, 06:35 AM
:bow:..superb review..Iruvar was definitely Mani's best..For me, it scores above nayagan..Kamal refused Prakash Raj's character ? :( Whoa imagine if it was Mohanlal vs Kamal :smokesmirk:

shankarbharath
8th April 2012, 06:29 PM
I was really privileged to have met Mani Rathnam in person. I attended the function organized by Landmark Chennai for the release of his films on DVD, just after the release of AE. Madhavan, Surya, PC Sreeram, Keerthana and a few others also joined. It was a great evening and I also won a personally autographed DVD (some audience giveaways) of Roja for answering a question. Of late, I really hated Ravanan - it could be Suhasini's dialogues that were jarring - and I hope Kadal is worth it.

app_engine
13th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Fellow hubber V_S posting about a Maniratnam dream :wink: (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=844621&viewfull=1#post844621)

Plum
28th April 2012, 11:49 PM
PAgal Nilavu - not bad at all. oru masala padamnA, ippa varra punchu filmsku idhai evLavO thAngalAm. (evLavO padathula orE sagikkable vishayamA irundha aNNan comedy, indha padathula most unsahikkable aspect of the movieyAga iruppadhu oru unusual happening)

lydayaxobia493
29th May 2012, 12:13 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/72829_231996633570590_785735324_n.jpg

புதிய மன்னர்கள் படப்பிடிப்பின் போது நடிகர் விக்ரமிற்கு "பம்பாய்"படத்தில் நடிப்பதற்காக இயக்குனர் மணிரத்னத்திடம் இருந்து ஸ்க்ரீன் டெஸ்டிற்கு வரச்சொல்லி அழைப்பு வந்துள்ளது.

காலையில் மனிஷாகொய்ராலாவுக்கு ஸ்டில்ஸ் எடுத்த பின்னர், மாலையில் விக்ரமிற்கு ஸ்டில்ஸ் எடுத்துள்ளார்கள். கன்டினியூட்டி பிரச்சனைக்காக புதிய மன்னர்கள் படத்திற்காக வளர்த்த தாடியுடன் கொஞ்சம் டென்ஷனாகவே அந்த ஸ்டில் செஷனில் பங்கேற்றுள்ளார்.

ஜெல் போட்டுப்பார்த்தும் விக்ரமிற்கு, அந்த தாடி முரடான தோற்றத்தையே தந்துள்ளது, மணிரத்னம் எதிர்பார்த்த மென்மையான தோற்றம் அமையவில்லை. கடைசியில் I will tell you என்று அனுப்பியுள்ளார்.

அதுவரை எளிதில் சந்திக்க முடிந்த மணிரத்னத்தை அதன் பின்னர் தொலைபேசியில் கூட தொடர்பு கொள்ள முடியாமல், மனம் உடைந்துபோனாரம் விக்ரம்..

KlamRoyA
23rd June 2012, 04:34 PM
My top list of Mani sir movies...Difficult to list in rating order.. i have rated according to my personal impact...

1. Alai payuthe

Reason :

The reason of being 1st is simple. If u take any tamil romantic movies from 1930 to till now, do u think any movies can come close to AP..
U can ask wt abt mounaraagam… tats only part (karthik-20 mins.) of the movie.. Otherwise both AP nd Mounaraagam wil be the same rank..

2. Iruvar

Reason :

Actually I don’t hav interest in political movies… This is the first movie I impressed a lot.. Wt a dialogues nd the same delivered by Prakash raj..
The kavithai delivered by Prakashraj
"unnodu naan vaazhtha ovvoru manithuliyum…marakka mudiyathu kanmaniye":clap::bow:
nd the climax 10 min. dialogue is best of the decade.. :clap:

3. Geethanjali

Reason :

First romantic movie which made me cry a lot.. Best supported by Raja sir songs.. :bow:

4. Thalabathi:

Reason :

So many times I told the reasons…

Most of the scenes r best of the decade one...
One of the scene..
While rajini, srividya & jaishankar r praying in temple, train crossed wit sound nd rajni & srividya seeing the train nd both eyes filled up wit tears...
No dialogues.. no single word.. but most emotional scene...tats mani .. Whenever am seeing tis scene my eyes become wet..

"Chinna thaayaval"- One of top 3 of amma songs..:bow:

another one is, when sridevi comes to rajni house nd rajni is crying wit emotional on her lap... best one.. :bow:

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9870-Film-Documentary-Recently-watched-amp-worthy-of-some-discussion&p=884117&viewfull=1#post884117

5. Mounaraagam

Reason :

Close to Alaipayuthe.. Both the plot of AP nd Mounaraagam is same..However I luv AP more than Mounaraagam..

6. Nayagan

Reason :

Close to Thalabathi.. Bt thalaivar acting is far better than kamal in naayagan…

7. Roja & Bombay

Reason :

The plot of both movies r the same.. Bt I lik Roja than Bombay..
The beauty of the Roja movie is without the first half (Madhubala nd Arvind fight due to her sister marriage cancelled nd Arvind telling the reason, y he selected her..), the second half wont make impact on u…
The reason is told in first half hw much Madhu is loving arvind, so v too getting worrying moments along wit Madhu when she is chasing the location of Arvind…
If the luv story (first half) is nt there, then the scene of madhu searching wont make impact on u.. Tats mani sir magic…

8. Anjali

Reason :

One nd only Baby Shamili…

9. Kannathil muthamittal:

Reason :

The narration of story betn a mother nd her child..

10. Guru

Reason :

No other movie did tell a real businessman story in tis effective manner..

Other movies lik Thiruda thiruda, Agni natchathiram, Dil se , Aayutha Ezhuthu & Raavan r ok type one...

Idhayakoil--- I dint c yet..

i can write reviews for all the movies in detail.. bt lazy ya irukku.. :(
Ethanai paer vanthalum mani mani thaan.. No one can substitute him..:smokesmirk:
Frndship, Sentiment,action,mass,class,etc., .. ellam category yelum mani sir nalla pannirapparu...:)

aceqoxim
23rd June 2012, 05:18 PM
It's very difficult to find another character that has been etched with so much charm and grace as Karthik's character in Mounaragam. Antha oru reasonkagga MR is my favourite MR movie.

KlamRoyA
23rd June 2012, 05:19 PM
// only Alaipayuthe Madhavan is possible to karthick's charm...

jaiganes
9th July 2012, 08:49 PM
ThaLAbadhi - underrated, flawed - but still a gem.
It is not easy for any director to direct a Rajini film with equal footage for another hero and pull it off as a "Director's movie". Among the very few directors who have done this Mani Ratnam stands on his own. The movie is special to me because it opened up a lot of consciousness about some technical elements as well as BeeGeeEm. However it is too simplistic to leave the movie by mentioning just this much - because this is a movie where one got to see the screen light up with visuals and sound that gave full meaning to the word "action drama".
The movie set a trend from conception to theatre release thanks to Late G.Venkateshwaran. The first thing to capture the attention of the viewer was the title design. Hitherto an area paid scant respect to - GV and Mani changed the game by indulging "karisal" raaja to come up with a innovative title design - A blood splattered graffiti - that hinted at the violence in the content - It was so striking that I wasted entire back sections of many notebooks trying to write it exactly as seen on posters. A Friend of mine went some steps ahead and did it in water colours bringing to life the exact same "splatter effect".
If someone had been a staunch rajini hater - even that individual was forced to go watch it in theater after seeing the spectacular - yet lilting love ballad "Sundari". Thus I went in to the dark hall of Sri Brinda Theater in Perambur to watch my favourite stars and star director create magic on celluloid. There was a tinge of suspicion on Mani after seeing the climax of Anjali - some of my friends were vehment in labeling Mani a "morbid film maker" who would give a lease of life to cancer patients and heart patients (In Idhayaththai thirudaadhe) but deny the same to poor little angel Anjali. So as a Rajini fan I went in with prayers and hope that Mani does not do that to my leading man - super star - though the previous star he handled - ended up with a bullet to his chest (remember velu nayakar?).
Then the movie started - not with a good samaritan hero flying in to prevent a attempted rape or something like that we Rajini fans have been used to - but a young girl sending off a baby on a goods train - could hear catcalls of "Karnan padathai copy adichuttaan" by some wise a** movie goers - disregarding that the movie drew me in with all the techniques that was at its disposal.
First and foremost - santosh sivan with his sepia tinged cinematography that created a fictional town with Devarajan and Soorya ruling the roost. his camera would recreate Mani's kurosawa dream on a spectacular scale while magnifying a little jasmine bud to equally spectacular splendour.
Ilaiyaraaja - needless to say - songs or BeeGeeEm - this was Raaja's fantastic parting gift to Mani. The BGM pieces had a character of their own - be it the menacing slithering sound for Kalivaradhan or triumphant clarion call for Devaraj- Soorya friendship or the silken touch of "sundari" played in various combinations. But Chinnathaayaval's haunting flute and train sound took the cake as far as maximum effect is concerned.
Actors - Rajini - mammootty - srividya -Jaishankar- shobana in that order they responded to mani's camera angles with controlled expressions - just the right amount. It was particularly refreshing to see Rajini play a character with some complex, some guilt - yet with a lot of fire - the character we all well know as "karna" - a hero marked by gigantic failures rather than successes. Rajini gave us all the glimpse of his "johnny days" in 90s. His simple small town fighter represented a common man up against the senseless system - more a thematic reprisal of who Velu nayakar was - but none of the similarities were felt by the viewer and that rendering showed what a professional he was.
But towering above everything else was director Mani ratnam - who showed how he can give one scene to fans and one to himself - sure it irritated to see a baby faced "pilaka" Arvind swamy say "Kaththi mudichaachaa" to that wonderful monologue of Rajini beginning with "eppavaavadhu soathukku vazhi illaama kashtapatrukeengaLA" but one has to admire that guts in a director to cut his hero short when needed to - particularly if he is the avatar of "Karna" - a man who was cut and insulted all his life..
Wish to write more on this flawed masterpiece...

KV
9th July 2012, 09:02 PM
arumai, jai, arumai :clap:
Mammotty and others proved how.... line vittu pOcha? :roll:

app_engine
9th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Great post, jaiganes!

Wish to write more on this flawed masterpiece...

Expecting more on your next post :wink:

SoftSword
9th July 2012, 09:09 PM
: padthae padthae love ho jai :

jaiganes
9th July 2012, 10:05 PM
arumai, jai, arumai :clap:
Mammotty and others proved how.... line vittu pOcha? :roll:
i had typed up something in a notepad after tenali vs thalabadhi - ellaam delete aachu - so this is a quick writeup from memory minus the vitriolic repartees at tenali comparison.

jaiganes
9th July 2012, 11:38 PM
Threads of ThaLabadhi:
ThaLabadhi takes the theme of mahabaratha and unearths his plot of individuals rebelling against establishment.
Establishment here refers not only to the administrative and "law-Order" machinery - but against social and familial establishments.
Like the mother - father power symbols within family - Surya finds his family - but when it asks him to forego his chosen path against his friend, he rejects.
While his lover is shown unable to break free of her father - who represents establishment at that level.
Devaraj - the don is also a symbol of 'establishment' - but when he accepts Surya as a change agent, the law & order machinery that was hitherto comfortable
with his power position becomes uncomfortable and comes down heavy - even if it means taking the help of Kalivaradhan..
The real villain is the faceless establishment that provides no accountability but demands ultimate adherence to order from the public. ThaLabadhi is Mani's attempt to insert this in the template of an 'action-drama' - It is clever because Rajini image of late 80s has been always a 'pro-establishment' do gooder - a image and mantle he borrowed from MGR and Mani - subverts to provide his 'anarchist' message into the movie..

kid-glove
9th July 2012, 11:54 PM
The climax is a messed-up communion of all forces..

Imagine a subverted version where the abandoned child passes civil services and becomes the collector, while the child the mother raised becomes a second in chief to a corrupt man. I'd not make a overblown violent purgent film about it though, I'd make it more like Secrets and Lies.. Where they kiss and make up in the end. I'd call it an adaptation, why not.

jaiganes
10th July 2012, 12:08 AM
The climax is a messed-up communion of all forces..

Imagine a subverted version where the abandoned child passes civil services and becomes the collector, while the child the mother raised becomes a second in chief to a corrupt man. I'd not make a overblown violent purgent film about it though, I'd make it more like Secrets and Lies.. Where they kiss and make up in the end. I'd call it an adaptation, why not.
wasnt the recent prakash jha movie more on the lines that you told (not the kid growing up to be a collector though).
As far as the messed up climax is concerned - well at that time i felt happy for not seeing Rajini's character in a body bag - later on - i wonder thats the best that can be done with a commercial hero like Rajni in your project - so that is a maaf.. - Though I loved Rajini's raw display of vengeance on kali varadhan and co..

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 12:16 AM
Yeah that Jha film is Godfather meets Mahabharath.

I was not in supportive of that ending. It looked kinda lame to me. Especially with Rajini squealing like a wounded animal. Amrish Puri would squat Rajini, Fact.

jaiganes
10th July 2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah that Jha film is Godfather meets Mahabharath.

I was not in supportive of that ending. It looked kinda lame to me. Especially with Rajini squealing like a wounded animal. Amrish Puri would squat Rajini, Fact.

Fast closure to a brooding drama is never a good idea..
true Surya dead in collector's doorstep with his mom holding him - kinda "deewar / thee" ending would be a full paisa vasool for the drama it is worth..

equanimus
10th July 2012, 09:30 PM
I'd extend this criticism beyond just the ending. The film is too melodramatic to effectively handle the sheer drama of the original material. Surya and Kalyani (btw, just a thought here, is Mani Ratnam referencing parAsakthi?) hug and cry their hearts out! It's all as if the separation didn't engender an irreparable loss (except the passage of some 30-odd years) which is in many ways central to the Karna-Kunti relationship.

Even early on, the way the film shows Surya and Deva becoming friends is somewhat tacky. It's not the economy I'm objecting to. Bala (who clearly had thaLapathi in mind when making some of his films if not all!) employed more or less the same sort of economy in nandhA, but the growing intimacy between the two is not portrayed with abrupt in-your-face gestures as in thaLapathi.

venkkiram
10th July 2012, 09:47 PM
தேவராஜ், சூர்யா இருவரின் சந்திப்பு - கலக்டர் அர்ஜுனோடு..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL83pHb3SLs

"கோர்ட் என்ன சொன்னாலும் நீங்க சொல்றதுதான் சட்டம்" "உதவி செய்ய கோர்ட் இருக்கு, சட்டம் இருக்கு", இந்த தளத்துல மணி ஒரு அர்ஜுன் கதாபாத்திரம் ஏற்று நடித்த அரவிந்சாமியின் நடிப்பின் தூரம் போல. சிலருக்கு சில தளங்கள். இதெல்லாம் ராம்கோபால் வர்மா போன்ற இயக்குனர்களுக்கு கைவந்தக் கலை. இந்தக் காட்சியில் அர்ஜுன், தேவராஜ், சூர்யா, டி.எஸ்.பி கிட்டி போன்றவர்களின் வசனங்கள் எதோ வீட்டுல அப்பா, அக்கா, அண்ணன், சித்தப்பாக்களோடு சேர்ந்து உட்கார்ந்து பேசுவது போல. சூர்யாவின் "ஜனங்க எங்க மேல வச்சிருக்கிற நம்பிக்கை" - இவர் ரவுடியா இல்லை எம்.எல்.ஏ-வா என சந்தேகமே வந்துவிடுகிறது. இந்த ஒட்டுமொத்த உரையாடலிலிருந்து நான் ரசிக்கும் ஒரே இடம் "மரியாதையில்லாம பேசுற அடி ராஸ்கல்!" "ஏய்!! தொடறா பார்க்கலாம்., தொடறா பார்க்கலாம்" (இது போன்ற ரத்தம் சூடாகும் காட்சிகள் நாயகனில் இயல்பாக அமைந்திருந்தது. அதனாலேயே இன்னமும் உட்கார்ந்து பார்க்க முடிகிறது) - அப்படியும் டி.எஸ்.பியை இப்படி திட்டிவிட்டி வந்தால் எப்படி சிறப்பாக லாடம் கட்டுவார்கள் என்பதை ராம் கோபால் வர்மா படங்கள் தெளிவாக சொல்லிவிடும். நாயகனின் சாயல் தொடரும் தளபதியில் இல்லை. மணியின் ஆளுமை என நான் கருதுவது: குடும்ப உறவுகள்-பிரச்சனைகள், காதல், துடிப்பான இளைஞர், இளைஞி, குழந்தை(கள்). எப்படியோ இருந்திருக்க வேண்டியது எப்படியோ போய்விட்டதென உணர்கிறேன் எப்போதெல்லாம் தளபதிக் காட்சிகளை பார்க்க சந்தர்ப்பம் கிடைக்கும் போது.

Nerd
10th July 2012, 09:59 PM
Even early on, the way the film shows Surya and Deva becoming friends is somewhat tacky. .
This actually is the signature of most if not all Mani's films. I mean the way he builds relationships. You either buy it or don't. There is no middle ground. I think they are *artificial* by design. You either get *convinced* or don't. I for one did not find problems with it. And its not just thaLapathi - To quote a couple - Alaipayuthey Maddy/Shalini (nee azhagaa irukkEnu ninaikkalai, seriously), Nayagan (with Saranya, invests very little time)

equanimus
10th July 2012, 10:11 PM
Nerd,
It's not about the economy-ன்னு அங்கயே clarify செஞ்சிருக்கேனே. In this scene, the two hug right there. Deva is after all a local don and is not a peer to Surya in any way. It's quite like the '80s films (aNNAmalai-esque) where two young boys, the hero and his friend, patch up and join hands quickly after an initial fight.

அலைபாயுதே-லல்லாம் அருமையா வந்திருக்கும். :)

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 10:18 PM
For 30 odd years, this child fostered intense feelings about this abandonment, and the ill feeling and shame it has brought on him. Mani shows this. One meeting by the sun with Jai Shankar is enough to get past it. Suddenly the fact that she was a 16 year old woman at the time, is enough for him to turn it against himself. Compromised dialogues there. The accidental manja saree encounter and the immediate sequence didn't work as melodrama, did it? The impact was not there to categorize it as melodrama. I thought it was a deliberate choice to be less melodramatic. To make a hugely manipulative melodrama, Nandhalala, Sethu, Nanda, Pithamagan kind of twist of fate is necessary. Or do you mean melodrama by means of 'crying' alone? Mani shies away from NT-esque melodrama even when they almost roll around the floor and cry. NT gestural acting was missing. Although Rajini does really well within the limited framework to let the audience feel for him, he's no NT. 'neenga nallavara kettavara' kind of melodrama was missing. Even Devaaaaaaaaaaaaa didn't come off as melodramatic. Mammooka isn't quite pleased by the film and the synthetic framework of Mani. He after all was part of the greatest melodrama ever made (which incidentally has actively inspired Bala)

equanimus
10th July 2012, 10:25 PM
அப்படியும் டி.எஸ்.பியை இப்படி திட்டிவிட்டி வந்தால் எப்படி சிறப்பாக லாடம் கட்டுவார்கள் என்பதை ராம் கோபால் வர்மா படங்கள் தெளிவாக சொல்லிவிடும்.என்ன சார், இந்த லாடம் கட்டுறதெல்லாம் தளபதிலயே வருமே. "தெரியாதுடா" 'ன்னு சொல்லி ஏட்டு கிட்ட(யோ எஸ்.ஐ. கிட்டையோ) அடி வாங்குற சூர்யா வேற, "இது சூர்யா சார், உரசாதீங்க" 'ன்னு கலெக்டர் கிட்ட சொல்ற சூர்யா வேற. ஆனாலும் டீ.எஸ்.பீ.யிடமா ன்னு நீங்க கேக்கலாம், எல்லாம் ஒரு artistic license தான். இதுக்கெல்லாம் கேள்வி கேட்டா எப்படி?

KlamRoyA
10th July 2012, 10:26 PM
IMO, alaipayuthe nd Mounaraagam plot is same..

The common betn. two :

1. Ego arising betn hero nd heroine after marriage..
2. Vittu kodukkama irukkirathu..
3. Misunderstanding

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 10:27 PM
IMO, alaipayuthe nd Mounaraagam plot is same..

The common betn. two :

1. Ego arising betn hero nd heroine after marriage..
2. Vittu kodukkama irukkirathu..
3. Misunderstanding

4. All of the above

app_engine
10th July 2012, 10:28 PM
One of the problems for thaLabathi was it came AFTER nAyakan.

KlamRoyA
10th July 2012, 10:30 PM
lol.. its nt choose the best answer.. :banghead:

KlamRoyA
10th July 2012, 10:31 PM
One of the problems for thaLabathi was it came AFTER nAyakan.

Yes... apdi vanthiruntha Thalabathi would be one of 'Top 100 movies' of TIME..:smokesmirk:

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 10:33 PM
How is that a problem? After all, Nayakan isn't a great film, let alone a classic, by most people's standards here.

And Mani never learns, does he? Look what that police officer's kid did to Nayagan, shot to his head. Uneasy to the point of patricide, that little girl and Suriya share bed time stories. When she finds out, would she do all the stuff that black kid would do to Uma Thurman in KB-3?

equanimus
10th July 2012, 10:52 PM
For 30 odd years, this child fostered intense feelings about this abandonment, and the ill feeling and shame it has brought on him. Mani shows this. One meeting by the sun with Jai Shankar is enough to get past it. Suddenly the fact that she was a 16 year old woman at the time, is enough for him to turn it against himself.Oh, I'm not talking about ill feeling here, k-g. Here's a 32-year old man who's just introduced to his biological mother as a stranger. The emotional gap between the two is what I'm talking about. Mani's treatment here draws from the most turgidly melodramatic/sentimental rendering of the Kunti-Karna relationship rather than reflect on all the dramatic dimensions of such an encounter.
The accidental manja saree encounter and the immediate sequence didn't work as melodrama, did it? The impact was not there to categorize it as melodrama. I thought it was a deliberate choice to be less melodramatic. To make a hugely manipulative melodrama, Nandhalala, Sethu, Nanda, Pithamagan kind of twist of fate is necessary. Or do you mean melodrama by means of 'crying' alone? Mani shies away from NT-esque melodrama even when they almost roll around the floor and cry.Oh, I should clarify here. Mani Ratnam is of course one of the pioneers of naturalistic acting, understated style and so on. By melodrama, I don't mean over-the-top performances at all. I'm primarily talking about the writing, specifically a sort of mellowing down the sheer dramatic tension to something merely maudlin. For instance, let's take dheyva magan. I think the sheer drama of the confrontation between the rich father and the abandoned elder son is so powerful. The performances are mostly over-the-top but that doesn't make the scene maudlin.

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 11:04 PM
Yeah, maudlin, but also neither here nor there.

Re-NT,
You term it as 'Over-the-top', but I'd seen a intense, nuanced performance, that makes it powerful.

Here's a 32-year old man who's just introduced to his biological mother as a stranger. The emotional gap between the two is what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that's why brought up Secrets and Lies in one of my response to Jai. Look how two strangers meet as biological mother and daughter. And 'kiss and make up' is my dig at Thalapathy..

Kunti-Karna relationship. I haven't read the original text. The version I read, to go along with my underage when I read it, was too flat to get the original tonal sensibilities. But I sort of get the various nuances and possibilities, it'd have been a richer film to imaginatively adapt or subvert it.

Nerd
10th July 2012, 11:15 PM
Naanum economy mattum dhaan problem(!) nu sollaleeng. Most relationships in Mani films are artificial if you look at them from a distance. Mani's biggest victory lies in the fact that the setting etc., is so good that you can't distance yourself away from the proceedings. But if you are in the mood to deride any of his films, there are plenty of LOL-worthy lines / scenes, like the one you qouted. Deva has no business to stoop down to the level of Surya to accept him as his commander-in-chief. But he does, in a very effective scene. Rain and all that :lol2: I bought it. Or he was just in the mood for recruiting someone. indha kaalaththula sila technical blogs paarththu hire pannra maadhiri :-)

kid-glove
10th July 2012, 11:18 PM
NT's gestural acting alone lifts up ordinary 'maudlin' seem powerful and strong melodrama.

Louis Malle calls NT TFI's Belmondo. 100 Brando's, 200 Mifune's, 300 Belmondo's, 400 Vittorio Gassman's put together would never equal 1000 different faces of NT's.

Bachchan propaganda machinery'lam 70's scriptwriters vechu aadurainga. Bloody retards.

equanimus
10th July 2012, 11:19 PM
Re-NT,
You term it as 'Over-the-top', but I'd seen a intense, nuanced performance, that makes it powerful.Oh, certainly. This is one of my all-time favourite Sivaji films, his performance here is a blistering one (pun not intended). Why do you equate (or think I mean to equate) over-the-top to not up to the mark or something to that effect? :) Superb and over-the-top, that's what I mean. :)
Yeah, that's why brought up Secrets and Lies in one of my response to Jai. Look how two strangers meet as biological mother and daughter. And 'kiss and make up' is my dig at Thalapathy..Oh okay. Secret and Lies kELvippattadhu kUda kidaiyAdhu, but got the dig.