PDA

View Full Version : how to make rasam powder and dhania powder?

samyuktha
30th March 2005, 02:49 AM
hi

today i made rasam powder and dhania powder with the help of one cook book which i bought from giri trading agency near my house in chennai. i find no difference in the products that are used for both the powders. request you to give me the recipe of rasam as well as dhania powder. thank ya

Hemant Trived1
30th March 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi Samyukta,
Use the following recipe.

RASAM POWDER

To be used within 10 days. Good for single person
1/4 cup Red chillies
1/2 Tablespoon Channa dhall (kadalai parappu)
1/2 Tablespoon Toor dhall (thoram parappu)
1/2 Tablespoon Mustard Seeds
1/4 Tablespoon urad dhall (ulundhu parappu)
1/4 cup Dhania seeds
2 spoons Jeera
1 spoon of Black pepper
1 spoon of Fenugreek seeds
1 spoon of Asafoetida powder
2 or 3 springs of Curry Leaves

Dry roast all the dhalls till they are pink. Keep aside. Now dry roast chillies and dhania seeds Coriander seeds) and curry leaves for two to three minutes on a medium flame. Keep aside. Now dry roast fenugreek and mustard seeds till they start popping out. Dry roast Black pepper similarly. Mix all the above roasted ingredients once again and add 1 spoon of Asafoetida. Briskly turn the dry mix for 30 seconds to 45 seconds. Remove the above from kadai and put it in a glass bowl. Cover it for about 30 minutes. Grind it in grinder to not too fine powder, but not too course. Pack it in a glass air tight jar. Use this podi in Rasams of different varities.

bhargavi.raj
30th March 2005, 09:18 PM
Dhaniya podi

Dhaniya/corriander seeds- 2cups
red chillies 5-10 according to spice level needed
hing a 1tsp
salt
garlic 3-4pods(optional)
peanuts 1/2tbsp
urad dal 1/2cup
curry leaves 6-7 leaves.
til oil 1tsp
coconut 1tbsp
method
roast each of these ingredients seperately and grind them once cooled into a fine powder. add salt to taste.
goes well with ghee rice/idli/dosa etc.

Bhargavi.Raj

samyuktha
30th March 2005, 09:23 PM
thanks a lot hemant. that was great. hav written down the recipe .will try it next time.
thanks bhargavi , your recipe is interesting. will try your recipe without garlic (since we dont take garlic).