PDA

View Full Version : The Hindu gets a new look!

hehehewalrus
15th April 2005, 03:31 AM
THE HINDU crosses another rubicon with its new look starting this Tamil New Year!
:clap:

- Download PDF - 26 MB

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thnewlook.pdf

Flood of rave reviews from readers:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/15/stories/2005041505981200.htm

The professional style of writing is not going to change. So the jazzy and attractive setup doesn't really matter. TOI, New Ind. Xpress, run for your lives!

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 11:33 AM
For guys like me who don't agree with the management philosophy,it doesn't make a difference.Sorry walrus for giving negative vibes with the very first post in this thread but what to do,that's how I feel :huh:

hehehewalrus
15th April 2005, 12:03 PM
what is management philosophy? ur office doesnt get hindu?

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 12:09 PM
what is management philosophy? ur office doesnt get hindu?

Nakkal? :D .Ok,let me make it clear,I don't agree with the political views of the editorial board of the Hindu.So,it doesn't make a difference to me whether they have a new look or an old look.Am I making myself very clear :D Anyway don't ask why I posted when I don't like the paper,I felt like posting :D -again.

hehehewalrus
15th April 2005, 12:35 PM
I've always felt for years that Business Line was much much better than Eco Times. Very strong on stats - Finance and IT. EcoTimes was good in Marketing and Ad news.

However, nearly every company I visited had Eco Times and Fin Express. Eco Times often has MBA 2nd year students writing for them. The Hindu's dull look was never the right choice for offices to place on their coffee tables. Since mostly software engineers take short breaks from their desks, the racy titbits from TOI, Deccan Herald suits them better. Unlike Hindu which goes for depth.

With the new look and increased pics, Hindu will be a strong contender now outside of TN.

Your worldview is shortsighted. Its like saying Adhiparasakthi college of Engg lecturer and author of I year Math textbook Ponnusamy is smarter than Abul Kalam :D anyway like ur honesty though :p

hehehewalrus
15th April 2005, 12:40 PM
I wonder whats going to be the main thrust of Hindu now. Apparently they might make a bid for a bigger market outside of south..just my guess that they might come up with a compumag in a couple of years. Considering that competitor papers are much much cheaper, they might go all-out in the magazine markets. Frontline still looks old-fashioned. Sportstar has lost heavily after satellite TV. Looks like they have woken up and might focus on the IT and electronic segment. Indian Express started Express Computer in 1994 and left them way behind now!

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 04:26 PM
Your worldview is shortsighted. Its like saying Adhiparasakthi college of Engg lecturer and author of I year Math textbook Ponnusamy is smarter than Abul Kalam :D anyway like ur honesty though :p

Was that aimed at me? :?

Also can someone tell me if the Deccan chronicle has started a chennai edition-saw their ad on Sun Tv a couple of days back.

Walrus,
The Hindu is without doubt the most indepth paper available, atleast in SouthIndia.I also don't believe that they are changing their look only to attract the young crowd(not a generalization) becos to retain them they will have to get down to the level of TOI which will be blasphemy.Yes,a new look will make it attractive to the crowd who don't have a problem with their penchant for details&too analytical style of reporting but never got down to reading it in the first place.It will also excite the loyal ones who were used to a particular look.But for people like me who vehemently disagree with the kind of politics,politicians the Hindu supports,it becomes very difficult to subscribe.

hehehewalrus
16th April 2005, 01:47 AM
The Hindu is without doubt the most indepth paper available, atleast in SouthIndia.I also don't believe that they are changing their look only to attract the young crowd(not a generalization) becos to retain them they will have to get down to the level of TOI which will be blasphemy.

Yes of course, Hindu has never focussed on the young crowd as a potential market. For several years now, they have never aimed at reducing the price of their publications.
(India Today slashed price from Rs.15 to Rs.10. Week, Outlook, India Today offer prizes and bonanzas to subscribers. Nothing of that sort in Frontline and its still at Rs.15. The Hindu paper has always been steadily increasing in price - quite understandable since the standard of the paper they print as always been superior to others despite the rising printing costs.
Their Annual Compendiums like Indian Cricket, The Hindu Speaks on Music, Indian Agriculture regularly goes up by Rs.15 every year. I got Indian Cricket for Rs.25 or Rs.30 in 1983, now its Rs.125 or Rs.150 I think).

Since their revenues haven't been mind boggling I guess they are targeting the niche corporate market now, feeling that their detailed and indepth content will take them through. From TN they are showing increasing interest in Level 2 cities of AP and Karnataka, looks like thats going to be their focus now.

But for people like me who vehemently disagree with the kind of politics,politicians the Hindu supports,it becomes very difficult to subscribe.

What do you mean by this? You pick a paper based on its focus on quality issues and not how perfectly it matches your emotions!!

What politicians does it support?? Did any political party come to their support when Jayalalitha harassed them for 10 years from 1995? :lol2:

Hindu was full of praise for JJ till about '94. Then after the a report on the advocates Vijayan assault case(May 27 1995) and also that on Shanmugasundaram, ADMK indulged in goondaism and threats and the relationship broke off.

Atleast when you say Hindu, you can immediately think of R.Mohan, S.Thyagarajan, Nirmal Shekhar, Gowri Ramnarayanan, S.Gangadhar and a dozen other reliable professionals who have been tops in their fields(Geet Sethi, Prakash Padukone, Ramesh Krishnan)...Give me that kind of paper any time then some guy who knows nothing about the subject and merely jumps from TOI, IE, etc for a living, which is what happens in nearly all other Indian newspapers.

krishnan
18th April 2005, 08:37 AM
I don't know how I missed the topic. I am against Hindu too, but not for the reasons Cinefan mentioned. As walrus mentioned I think it is still one of the few papers that atleast have best in the business to write on their subject matters. But I generally have a feeling that "The Hindu" charges a lot for people in TN. I don't understand the reason why is it priced atleast twice than "HT" ,"Deccan Herald" or a "TOI" in their respective areas (Delhi, Bangalore OR Mumbai respectively). Even the same Hindu is lot cheaper in B'lore and Delhi than in TN.

Hope Deccan Chronicle gives a good run for their money.

hehehewalrus
18th April 2005, 10:54 AM
I am against Hindu too, but not for the reasons Cinefan mentioned.
So what are the reasons for which you oppose the Hindu? Pls share them :)

But I generally have a feeling that "The Hindu" charges a lot for people in TN. I don't understand the reason why...

Either due to:
1. Since they have no competition, they want to extract as much as possible - which is deplorable

OR

2. a. Outside TN, substandard papers like TOI, Asian Age make hay with sleazy contents that sell. Plus they dont compromise on the quality of the print - glossy and top grade paper. Since they lag behind in sales they have to hike the price atleast.
b. They have a number of other publications like Frontline, BusinessLine and unlike Week, Outlook, India Today they dont accept sleazy advertising(ads featuring supermodels, booze companies, condom companies, etc)
c. From a and b, keep the price as high as possible(For example,
even an ecopy of the Sportstar(for those in India) is Rs.90 while hardcopy price is Rs.10. Dont even think of the ecopy for NRIs)

And why the angst? :D

Cinefan
18th April 2005, 04:46 PM
Walrus,
What you say is true,u pick a paper on the basis of their levels of professionalism,the quality of journalists,the variety of topics they deal with,quality of printing/paper.In all these the Hindu scores over others like TOI,IE,Decan Herald/Chronicle.But when as a person you hold certain political/ideological views&a paper seems to blindly hate it,it becomes very difficult to forget it,appreciate the other good things&continue to read.At least I find it very dificult to do that.It's not to say that I hate everyone who holds views diametrically opposite to me,I welcome a rational argument but the paper seems to lack that rationalism.I don't want to digress furthur&lead this thread on another track.You have started this expecting opinion of hubbers on the new look,let that happen.More opinions please.

BTW,Has the Decan Chronicle indeed started publishing from Chennai.If Yes,from when?

I agree with Krishnan that the Hindu needs competition,but it should not be lacking in quality&it should not be just a price war.

krishnan
19th April 2005, 04:25 AM
I am against Hindu too, but not for the reasons Cinefan mentioned.
So what are the reasons for which you oppose the Hindu? Pls share them :)

The money that I have to spend. What else? :)

And why the angst? :D

Again money +quality here. News reporting quality has gone down in Hindu than it used to be say 10 years ago. The price I pay for the sub-standard news which is marginally better than TOI or Asian Age 40% more than their price. (TOI is around Rs.2.25 in Mumbai Vs Rs.3.50 per edition of Hindu in Chennai if my sources are to be believed). "Aalai illadha voorukku illupai poo sakkarai" :D

hehehewalrus
20th April 2005, 01:44 AM
Cinefan,
If you wish to look in a particular direction, then do so - I will not twist your head by 330 degrees to make you look at what I am looking at :P

Again money +quality here. News reporting quality has gone down in Hindu than it used to be say 10 years ago. The price I pay for the sub-standard news which is marginally better than TOI or Asian Age 40% more than their price.
If you are looking for an alternative in terms of quality, you are in
for an unpleasant shock. Guess what do you have on DC's webpage - links to Asian Age! If its a friend of Asian Age, then you know what to expect :D

DC is a known pro-Congress, TDP Basher. Plus, sometime in 2001, they opposed the courts' move to ban smoking in public. Isnt DC part of the Enadu group, started by Ramoji Raju, business tycoon who owns Ramoji Film City and Priya Pickles?

Personally even in North India, I have never felt like going for those Rs.1 and Rs.2 newspapers. Basically you will get about 5-6 articles that are worth reading - so value for your money goes to about 3 articles per rupee. Better to go for Hindu which gives some 15-20 articles atleast for Rs.3. I got about 100 articles of Raju Bharatan, 30 articles of Ramachandra Guha, 100 articles of Ambujavalli Anantharaman, 50 articles of Gowri Ramnarayan burnt on some CDs, excellent materials to read and re-read. Readability is definitely not a quality in the other papers :)

sanjay
26th April 2005, 10:48 AM
The new format of the Hindu resembles the Times of India. The price of the paper too is quite high, considering the no. of ads the paper gets.

As regards quality, there has been a steady decline over the years. Earlier the editorials were balanced & left it to the readers to form their opinions. Now, it is openly pro DMK & vehemently anti hindu religion. But with N.Ram at the helm, U cannot expect anything better.

It is doing well only because there is no competition worth mentioning.

hehehewalrus
26th April 2005, 11:25 AM
It's important to look back at the relationship between the Hindu and political parties.

In 1991 after Jayalalitha came to power, it ended a long run of uncertainty in both state and central governments. The State Govt had Karunanidhi getting back to power after over a decade - Precisely on Jan 27 1991. It was ok till the MK government was dissolved in Mar 1991.

The Central govt was even more fluid with VP Singh coming to power on Nov 27 1989 and after his exit in 1990 late, a spineless Chandrasekar took the seat.

By May 1991, both govt flopped. JJ rode on the sympathy wave to claim power. Rajiv's assassination was covered in detail and special releases marked to highlight the terrorist intentions of the LTTE.(Hindu has never been a sympathiser)

To begin with the Hindu was a big fan of JJ. There were significant reforms in 1991-93 and JJ was equal to the task. When JJ went on a fast in 1993 July, to protest the Cauvery issue, the Hindu talked about her in glowing terms(She quietly sat in front of her house reading 101 Great Lives).

However things started going off the boil, come 1995. I guess Hindu got a whiff of trouble brewing in the JJ camp - Sasikala's husband, Natarajan, JJ's accountant was fired. They probably had insider info about Sudhakaran's marriage and also on JJ's murky deals.

During that time, S.Krishnan took over as chief editor. SK prided himself on his English and used to write a column called Between You and Me. Often fired barbs at the ruling party. SK and editor Parthasarathy(husband of current editor Malini Parthasarathy) had a deal whereby SK would sign off his columns with a joke. A few of the AIADMK MLAs took umbrage at his barbs. One of them, Selvaganapathy the Minister for Local Self-Administation would often retort with a letter to the Hindu for biased coverage. SK would jocularly refer to SG as his pen-pal :lol2:

By May 95, things got sour between JJ and the Hindu. Especially after their coverage of the assault on advocate KM Vijayan over the 69% reservation issue which JJ endorsed. The Hindu reported the miscreants as saying "Amma melaiye case podriya?", which did not go down well with the AIADMK. The battlelines were drawn.

True to its nature, the Hindu did not cover much of the extravagant Sep 1995 marriage and kept away. But Jaya had a long memory.

In 1996 they were quite critical of the Deve Gowda government and the fluid situation in the Prime Minister's office - game of musical chairs between Gowda, Vajpayee and Gujral.

By the time Aug 1997 came up, the Hindu lambasted the Congress in its special Folio issue, having started as a plank for obtaining independence but degenerating into a clannish political party. They blamed the Congress for the unstable power situation in the country.

But by then, JJ had totally run off the handle. After BJP came to power, JJ was running the centre. This was severely condemned by the Hindu. Subramaniam Swamy was another joker who came in for harsh censure.

By 1999, Hindu welcomed the death sentence on the LTTE gang who killed Rajiv. In Dec 1999, Chandrika Kumaratunga lost her eye in a suicide bomb attack at the PMO in Colombo. She was featured in a detailed 6-7 page interviewed with N.Ram himself who appreciated her courage. So much for the vaiyitherichal's claim that Hindu is pro-DMK, pro-MDMK ! Hogwash!

After JJ scuttled the govt in 1999, she was subjected to an all out attack from Frontline.

Finally in 2004, we all know how much she harassed the Hindu group. Tried her damnedest to get Venkatesan and N.Ram in jail. N.Ram's car was attacked by goondas in Bangalore.

While all this went on, none of JJ's political "advisors" and "gurus" condemned her acts, preferring instead to enjoy her political patronage for a decade. Now that she is targeting them, they are now singing a different tune! :lol2: :lol2: While Ram fought the battle on his own with very little backing from anyone in political circles. Venkatesan's article "Rising Intolerance" a protest on AIADMK's efforts to gag the press, sparked off the hatred.

Pretty clear that the Hindu has spoken for itself and never played yes-man to any man or party. However the vayatherichals will continue to burn in jealousy and frustration! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Badri
26th April 2005, 11:31 AM
hehewalrus declared emphatically:

It's important to look back at the relationship between the Hindu and political parties.

Actually, why is it important to look back at the relationship between The Hindu and political parties? Becos they have a new look???

Jus' kidding, Hehe..couldn't resist...you "sounded" so serious and pedantic!!! :lol:

hehehewalrus
26th April 2005, 11:51 AM
hehewalrus declared emphatically:

Actually, why is it important to look back at the relationship between The Hindu and political parties? Becos they have a new look???

Jus' kidding, Hehe..couldn't resist...you "sounded" so serious and pedantic!!! :lol:

Badri,
That was because some cry-babies keep bawling about the Hindu's political ideologies in a thread EXPLICITLY marked "Hindu's new look". It was just a shut-up post asking them to stick to the topic or just ship out :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 11:53 AM
walrus, I think you have gotten terribly conditioned to "The hindu" with the filter coffee buddy! Get out of it(not a serious advice :wink:). New Hindu is the "Old wine in a new bottle" and people aware of The hindu will always stay away and ppl addicted to hindu will stick to it sipping filter coffee. As for me, I am changing to Vijay Times as it is cheap and gives me just news not expert advices.

Badri
26th April 2005, 11:57 AM
Vijay Times???? What on earth is zat?

a.ratchasi
26th April 2005, 12:02 PM
Maybe it's a prarie periodical? :lol:

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 12:05 PM
Vijay Times is an upcoming news paper in bangalore priced at Re1. It gives only news and doesn't have "Well educated" people drumming their views and expert advices onto my already burdened brain. It sure doesn't have a Ramachandra Guha ranting about Jawaharlal Nehru and G.R.vishwanath. But that is ok with me.

scorpio
26th April 2005, 12:06 PM
walrus,

Really amazed at yr ability to recollect not only years, but also exact dates of important happenings. Historical documentary pakkara feel varuthu. Annikku enna colour-la short pottukittu iruntheengannu kooda nyabagam vachirukeengala?? :D

badri and a.r,

Innoru thread aarambikalam - To read Vijay times or not-nnu. Nalla pozhuthu pogum.

sanjay
26th April 2005, 12:07 PM
hehewalrus,
There is an old joke regarding the Hindu. Once there was a road incident in front of the Hindu office in Mt.Road. The editor was watching it from his office window. At once he rang up PTI & asked them whether there was an accident on Mt.Road. PTI replied that theye would get back within an hour. They confirmed it to him in an hours's time. Only after this confirmation, the editor had it published. (ha ha).

Everyone knows what a "vazha vazha kozha kozha" paper the hindu is. of late, howvere this has turned to pro-dmk (after all his "sambandhi") & anti-hindu.

Being a die hard hindu reader, I guess U could not digest the fact that the paper has declined in quality.

Don't get so woked up - old boy. Relax. As Jaiganes said, continue reading The Hindu wih filter coffeee in hand.

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 12:11 PM
Don't get so woked up - old boy. Relax. As Jaiganes said, continue reading The Hindu wih filter coffeee in hand.

unfortunately both the items are over priced!! :lol: :wink:

sanjay
26th April 2005, 12:36 PM
ha ha.

Actually for the ads The Hindu is getting, it should be free of cost.

Cinefan
26th April 2005, 05:10 PM
walrus, I think you have gotten terribly conditioned to "The hindu" with the filter coffee buddy! Get out of it(not a serious advice :wink:). New Hindu is the "Old wine in a new bottle" and people aware of The hindu will always stay away and ppl addicted to hindu will stick to it sipping filter coffee. As for me, I am changing to Vijay Times as it is cheap and gives me just news not expert advices.

:lol:

Vijay times is a good choice,doesn't explicitly state it's political ideologies&is rational.That's the first thing I look for in a newspaper.

tomato
26th April 2005, 06:14 PM

unfortunately both the items are over priced!! :lol: :wink:

JG
Looks like u are truely saving money for the forthcoming 'Big Occasion' :wink:

hehehewalrus
26th April 2005, 11:21 PM
Looked up the reviews of Deccan Chronicle on Mouthshut - 17% recommendation with comments of "Newspaper or Adult magazine?", "Dhakkan Chronicle" :lol2: :lol2: 3 of the 6 ratings were 1/5.

Thanks Scorpio. I recollect the Vijayan assault date since around the same time, Auto Shankar was executed.

Interesting one, this
http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/oct/14gandhi.htm

jaiganes
27th April 2005, 11:31 AM
Hi tomato!
In any micro level savings initiative in family, News paper is the first casualty. I have learnt it observing my parents when it is February-March-April period for a long time. :wink: :lol: Though what i have taken is not a savings or a fiscal initiative, It is just a thought, Hindu is too morosely immersed in pedantic stuff that is way over my head. I want news as I go in the bus. period. I dont want sermons. So I found myslef reading only 3-5 pages of Hindu a day. Leave out 7 pages of ads, then you have bloated edotorials on China's resurgence and how India can follow the 'big brother's footsteps'. Add to that losers from USA who write on right wing leftwing and trying to sell wares that they couldn't sell in USA. So I found myself shelling out huge sum of money for useless things, much like a PSU. So I decided to shut that shop and switch to another provider, where atleast my utilization of all pages is even and higher.

scorpio
27th April 2005, 11:34 AM
JG,
marriage date kitta vara vara, thathuvam romba udiruthu.

Intha sikkana sinthanaiyai, kalyanathukappuram mallipoo, halwa matters-la kaataamal iru pa. :lol: Rational thinking ellam married life-la othu varathu!

Soory for the digression walrus.. JG's post was too tempting!

hehehewalrus
27th April 2005, 01:24 PM
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

alwarpet_andavan
27th April 2005, 08:50 PM
Walrus man,
Good to see a fellow "Hindu"-fan :)
On a lighter side, let the "Hindu"-hating KG guys sip their feeding bottle and read Vijay Times hoping their mosquito-sized brains is able to absorb the PICTURES :)
On a more serious note, i'm not 100% happy with the new look. Reminds me of TOI-the toilet tissue paper.
Hopefully, the new look should in no way be a precursor to change in the content.
Ominously, i'm already beggining to see signs of TOI rearing it's ugly head in the Bangalore edition of the MetroPlus.

I don't think that it is because of pricing that the the Hindu lags behind in circulation. It might have more to do with the conditioning of the readers to a particular paper. Young readers might try out new stuff, but.......
Coming back to TOI, Vijay Times and DC, as long as there are people whose brains cannot take more than daily dosages of India fashion week, Mallaika Arora's butt size and the much-worshipped CORPORATE CAPITALIST crap, The Hindu will continue to lag behind.
And for people using the Internet, how the heck does a NEWSPAPER's cost matter?????????

alwarpet_andavan

hehehewalrus
28th April 2005, 02:57 AM
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

sanjay
28th April 2005, 10:50 AM
alwarpet andavan says that the readers are not yet conditioned to a particular paper & hence it lags behind in circulation in bangalore.

The same logic can be applied to the feeding bottle, mosquito brain readers of the Hindu too.

If U read Vijay times or any other paper U are dumb, but U are an intellectual if U read the Hindu. Is it?

What a fantastic discovery, alwarpet andavan.

Roshan
28th April 2005, 11:05 AM
alwarpet_andavan - nice name ! are you a Kamal fan BTW?

sorry for the digression friends ! 8)

jaiganes
28th April 2005, 12:37 PM
mosquito brain??
I am amazed what I am able to do with this mosquito brain! :rotfl: :lol:

Cinefan
28th April 2005, 12:55 PM
Walrus man,
Good to see a fellow "Hindu"-fan :)
On a lighter side, let the "Hindu"-hating KG guys sip their feeding bottle and read Vijay Times hoping their mosquito-sized brains is able to absorb the PICTURES :)
On a more serious note, i'm not 100% happy with the new look. Reminds me of TOI-the toilet tissue paper.
Hopefully, the new look should in no way be a precursor to change in the content.
Ominously, i'm already beggining to see signs of TOI rearing it's ugly head in the Bangalore edition of the MetroPlus.

I don't think that it is because of pricing that the the Hindu lags behind in circulation. It might have more to do with the conditioning of the readers to a particular paper. Young readers might try out new stuff, but.......
Coming back to TOI, Vijay Times and DC, as long as there are people whose brains cannot take more than daily dosages of India fashion week, Mallaika Arora's butt size and the much-worshipped CORPORATE CAPITALIST crap, The Hindu will continue to lag behind.
And for people using the Internet, how the heck does a NEWSPAPER's cost matter?????????

alwarpet_andavan

Err,looking at your comments about the Hindu in the MX thread,I was under the impression that you are not exactly a great fan of the paper. :?

alwarpet_andavan
28th April 2005, 01:57 PM
Cinefan,
enna ippadi sollitteenga???
If you see the posts you will clearly see that i'm a Hindu-freak. Maybe you had shankar in mind i guess :)

alwarpet_andavan

alwarpet_andavan
28th April 2005, 01:59 PM
alwarpet andavan says that the readers are not yet conditioned to a particular paper & hence it lags behind in circulation in bangalore.

The same logic can be applied to the feeding bottle, mosquito brain readers of the Hindu too.

If U read Vijay times or any other paper U are dumb, but U are an intellectual if U read the Hindu. Is it?

What a fantastic discovery, alwarpet andavan.
Enna romba pugazhadeenga :)

>If U read Vijay times or any other paper U are dumb, but U are an >intellectual if U read the Hindu. Is it?
I didn't say it.... somebody who likes Vijay Times said Hindu is too pedantic and it was more than what his brain could handle.
Sorry if i was too harsh......

alwarpet_andavan

alwarpet_andavan
28th April 2005, 02:15 PM
alwarpet_andavan - nice name ! are you a Kamal fan BTW?
sorry for the digression friends ! 8)
Roshan,
I certainly am!
alwarpet_andavan a.k.a Paramakudi Express

Cinefan
28th April 2005, 04:16 PM
Cinefan,
If you see the posts you will clearly see that i'm a Hindu-freak. Maybe you had shankar in mind i guess :)

alwarpet_andavan

Hmmmmm,I think i got mixed up between you&Shankar.Sorry.

alwarpet_andavan
28th April 2005, 05:07 PM
Cinefan,

alwarpet_andavan

Hmmmmm,I think i got mixed up between you&Shankar.Sorry.

No probs mate :)

alwarpet_andavan

EdenWoods
29th April 2005, 12:09 PM
I see many here complaining about the 'high' price Hindu charges per copy. And to think it costs less than the price of a cup of tea!
I think if you use the logical formula below the Hindu scores very high (probably the highest) among all the newspapers.

The Value You Get = [(The quality x no. pages) - (Ads/utility of the Ads)] / Price

sanjay
29th April 2005, 12:22 PM
Eden,

The formula is right.

Only point is that if U apply it to the Hindu, the value U get is poor.

hehehewalrus
29th April 2005, 01:58 PM
This was a thread started to discuss an aesthetic issue. Some hate-injecting despos frothing with unrest are keen to spill their vitriol and frustrations here. Please go elsewhere and preach your ideologies and kindly leave this thread alone!!!

EdenWoods,
Is your nick borrowed from the name of an apartment complex?? :) Curious to know!

sanjay
29th April 2005, 03:51 PM
hehe...

Truth is always a hard pill to swallow.

Roshan
29th April 2005, 04:36 PM
hehe...

Truth is always a hard pill to swallow.

Yeah true !! Your reply to edenwood proves that very well !! :lol:

sanjay
2nd May 2005, 11:14 AM
A case of sour grapes, roshan?

Roshan
2nd May 2005, 11:42 AM
A case of sour grapes, roshan?

No it's a case of a 'hard pill' :wink: :lol:

sanjay
2nd May 2005, 02:53 PM
So, U agree that my comments (truth) has been a hard pill to follow.

Well, probably the first time U agreed with some one,
ha ha.

Roshan
2nd May 2005, 02:57 PM
Oh Gosh !! Suddham !! :x I simply forgot the fact that this anand alias sanjay has some problems of comprehending things :banghead:

It's my fault any way answering a dumb !!

Sorry moderator badri ! that was unavoidable as I could not find anything better as per hub norms :)

RSSKaran
2nd May 2005, 04:08 PM
New The Hindu is very good indeed. They should also concentrate on content.

sanjay
2nd May 2005, 04:25 PM
Roshan,
U are forgiven. After all you always post filth in the hub. So,never mind.

I guess I spoke too soon when I said U agreed with someone.

By the way, your post clearly shows that U have not got what I meant by "hard pill".

RSSKaran
2nd May 2005, 04:27 PM
sanjay,

The hard pill may be hard to digest for some. Forget these animosities and go forward.